PDA

View Full Version : Dumbledore out!

Zak
22nd October 2007, 10:43 PM
http://www.newsweek.com/id/50787

J. K. Rowling, author of the worldwide best-selling Harry Potter series, met some of her American fans Friday night and provided some surprising revelations about the fictional characters who a generation of children have come to regard as close friends.

In front of a full house of hardcore Potter fans at Carnegie Hall in New York, Rowling, sitting on the stage on a red velvet and carved wood throne, read from her seventh and final book, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," then took questions. One fan asked whether Albus Dumbledore, the head of the famed Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft, had ever loved anyone. Rowling smiled. "Dumbledore is gay, actually," replied Rowling as the audience erupted in surprise. She added that, in her mind, Dumbledore had an unrequited love affair with Gellert Grindelwald, Voldemort's predecessor who appears in the seventh book. After several minutes of prolonged shouting and clapping from astonished fans, Rowling added. "I would have told you earlier if I knew it would make you so happy."

In answer to the question "Did Hagrid marry?" Rowling replied that sadly, no. The half-giant had a flirtation with a giantess but she found him "a tad unsophisticated" and the relationship never went forward. In response to the audience's groans of dismay, Rowling said, jokingly, "OK, I'll write another book." And when the audience continued to express disapproval added, "at least I didn't kill him."

Other minor characters, according to Rowling, came to happier ends. Neville Longbottom, Harry's meek and hapless classmate, married Hannah Abbott, another classmate.

Yeah, I know this is more than just that, but the Dumbledore thing actually made the news, couldn't find the article on that specifically, but besides, this is the original one.

So anyway, what do you think of this astounding revelation?

Mewfour
22nd October 2007, 11:29 PM
Well, good thing she announced it after HBP (and the rest of the series) was released. Imagine the backlash that would have caused.

mr_pikachu
23rd October 2007, 12:57 AM
I'm pretty surprised by it. I mean, I haven't read the last book yet, so maybe there's something in there that might've tipped off people. But from what I have read, I never would have suspected it. Maybe I should look back and see if he's doing a little too much "mentoring"...

*is vaguely reminded of the Pubertus sketch on Robot Chicken*

When the headline I saw asked which of the HP characters had been outed, I thought to myself, "...Draco?" -_-

PNT510
23rd October 2007, 02:45 AM
When the headline I saw asked which of the HP characters had been outed, I thought to myself, "...Draco?" -_-

You've been reading to much fan fiction.

mr_pikachu
23rd October 2007, 02:52 AM
I actually haven't read Harry Potter fanfiction at all. But you bring up a good point; it sprung to mind largely because I've seen summaries on ff.net. Just about every single fic has "HxD" or something to that effect. Bleh.

At any rate, this will likely create an entirely new subgenre. Actually, maybe that was Rowling's intent in the first place. But if she thought so far ahead as to stir up new interest in HP with such a bold move... that'd be absolutely ingenious, to be honest.

Weasel Overlord
23rd October 2007, 04:17 AM
Well, in a way I'm not really surprised. And oh how happy the fanficcers are! Hehehe. One of their ships is actually CANON! Egads!

Gavin Luper
23rd October 2007, 11:18 AM
I thought I read JK quoted from that same event as saying something like, "Oh my God, think of the fanfiction!" Hehe.

In terms of the novels, I don't see how it changes anything other than add some backstory to the Dumbledore/Grindelwald association in the past, but I'm somehow sure that we're going to get some idiots hunting through the books to find references that could be misconstrued as pedophilia or something utterly ridiculous like that. (The Return of Laura Mallory, anyone?) Though I think most actual readers and fans of the series have learned a lot from it, and are therefore probably balanced enough not to be too adversely affected by the revelation that one of the characters is gay. (Big woop, honestly.)

I think Rowling is very clever (as if I didn't already) for revealing Dumbledore's homosexuality: what an ingenious way to reignite a bit of interest in the books, plus, it was a very unexpected move, and a bold one. I reckon she probably really wanted to get that piece of Dumbledore's character known, too, so it didn't just kind of die with her. Or something.

Heald
23rd October 2007, 11:27 AM
I wish she had waited until all the films were done until she revealed this. Now the next two films are just going to be filled with gay jokes. I know it.

Magmar
23rd October 2007, 11:46 AM
Haha I wonder if anyone was just waiting to see what I had to say. XD;; "Great, here comes that opinionated gay..."

I think it's... well I don't care either way. But good for Rowling for saying that! Next time someone says "Harry Potter's gay", you can say "No but Dumbledore is!"

mr_pikachu
23rd October 2007, 04:20 PM
I thought I read JK quoted from that same event as saying something like, "Oh my God, think of the fanfiction!" Hehe.

I just ran a Google search for "think of the fanfiction" and got 15 results, nine of which had to do with the Dumbledore announcement. Of course, the line was never said by Rowling, so there you go.

Zak, care to get your sister and her friend to rewrite "Harry Potter and the Chlamydia Treatment"? (Yes, I remember that old fic. Scary, scary stuff. >_<)

At any rate, maybe we can look forward to a volume or two of backstory and other notes that weren't included in the seven-book series. I believe Tolkien did something similar, so... yeah.

Zak
23rd October 2007, 09:08 PM
Zak, care to get your sister and her friend to rewrite "Harry Potter and the Chlamydia Treatment"? (Yes, I remember that old fic. Scary, scary stuff. >_<)

LMFAO you remember that? I don't even remember posting that here... I feel like if I did, they probably needed someone to post it somewhere online where people would rate it and this was the only place I was registered at, haha but wow that was ages ago, I'm surprised it even stood out enough for anyone to remember. But then again, you do remember a lot of things, almost as much as me.

Drusilla
23rd October 2007, 10:00 PM
I heard about this while talking to my boyfriend via cell phone during my WalMart excursion today. The guy who was in line behind me was giving me a really weird look... I think I said something to the effect of, "Wait, did you just say that JK Rowling said that Dumbledore is gay?" Yep... You never know what you'll hear at the WalMart here, so this guy must have either been a very sheltered local, or a tourist.

Chris 2.1
24th October 2007, 05:45 AM
Its interesting, and it sorta makes sense. People have said its to gain publicity. But its not TOO much of a surprise, is it? I like how Neville married Hannah. Thats nice. :)

Zak
25th October 2007, 01:09 AM
I'm pretty sure she wasn't "waiting" for anything to be over before revealing it. All someone had to do was ask her directly about Dumbledore's love life during one of her interview things, be in whenever.

Though call me crazy, but before book 6 I didn't really feel that Dumbledore contributed much to the plot besides being "the greatest wizard" and the headmaster with certain knowledge. In the first five I found him to be mostly in the background but just made out to be important, but not enough for anyone to ask that.

Asilynne
25th October 2007, 01:21 AM
Maybe its because of Potter Puppet Pals but Im not surprised at all....Im kinda surprised that everyone is so shocked about it XD

mr_pikachu
25th October 2007, 01:24 AM
You make a good point about Dumbledore's lack of early significance, Zak. And considering how few hints there were about his love life before, it must have been easy for Rowling to hide it. Almost makes you wonder if it really was something she threw in at the last minute... hmm.

Actually, even if someone had asked about Dumbledore's love for whatever reason, she could have always evaded the question ("It's my little secret!"). After all, if it was going to be part of the plot, she couldn't have directly answered the question anyway. Doing so probably would have been too much of a spoiler.

EDIT: Oh God, not Potter Puppet Pals! *screams*

Crystal Mew
28th October 2007, 01:00 AM
Sounds like she just decided to throw in he's gay. "oh yeah by the way, now that I'm done writing the books, dumbledore is gay lolol"

its just kinda random that she says this now. Oh well.

...too bad snape kills him (LOL)

Drago
31st October 2007, 05:36 PM
Weird, at first glance I thought the topic would be insinuating that Dumbledore was to be removed from subsequent Potter films. I dunno... Dumbledore out? :heh:
I've never been able to get into the Potter books, but I love, really, really love the amount of effort Rowling puts into backstory and continuity. Too often (especially as a Nintendo fan) aspects of a character or storyline are left behind and forgotten, but not the case here, it's very satisfying. The addition to a character (besides a sneaky good stunt) of a series that's already completed just shows that every little detail is considered.

Magi of all
31st October 2007, 10:27 PM
I don't even see the point of saying Dumbledore's gay. It doesn't really add anything to his character. Dumbledores relationship with Grindelward doesn't really change all that much because we know this. Its an interesting tidbit to be sure, but not really all that important. After all, the story is about Harry and his struggles. Dumbledores sexual orientation has absolutly nothing to do with anything in the story.

It sounds like a bone to the Fanfiction community more than anything. Fangirls jump on any rumor of possibility homosexuality, so a full blown confession should get them salivating. Its fanfiction fodder and nothing more. That or an excuse to get into the news again

PNT510
30th November 2007, 07:43 AM
I don't even see the point of saying Dumbledore's gay. It doesn't really add anything to his character. Dumbledores relationship with Grindelward doesn't really change all that much because we know this. Its an interesting tidbit to be sure, but not really all that important. After all, the story is about Harry and his struggles. Dumbledores sexual orientation has absolutly nothing to do with anything in the story.

There isn't a point and it has nothing to do with anything in the story, which is why it's never mentioned in the actual story.

The reason she did end up saying Dumbledore is gay is because people were still interested in the character outside the story. And she had come up with this backstory in her mind so why not tell the fans?

Zak
30th November 2007, 10:50 AM
Also I just remembered she did have a lot of background on the character of Dean Thomas, which she wasn't sure if she was gonna include in the story, but she told everyone like back before book 6 came out. In the end it wasn't included. This is just the same.

Magmar
1st December 2007, 08:34 AM
*********SPOILER************

I really don't like how a lot of people are making an issue out of the fact that Jo acknowledged that gay people basically.. exist.. by saying what she said. "OMG burn the books because she said a character is gay OMFG" give me a breaaaakkkk.

But on that note, if he HAS to be gay, they better find actors equally sexy if not sexier than Daniel Radcliffe and make them play Grindelwald and Dumbledore, and show us all some humpydoo.

Chris 2.1
1st December 2007, 11:50 AM
Alledgedly Jo was looking over a script for movie 6, in which Dumbledore mentioned something to Harry about a woman he was once in love with. She wrote in the margin 'Dumbledore is gay'. So she revealled it mainly to ensure the movie wasn't just making things up.

Zak
6th December 2007, 01:45 AM
Alledgedly Jo was looking over a script for movie 6, in which Dumbledore mentioned something to Harry about a woman he was once in love with. She wrote in the margin 'Dumbledore is gay'. So she revealled it mainly to ensure the movie wasn't just making things up.

Where did you hear that? I heard she revealed it solely because of that direct question at the book signing.

Anyway, the one thing that gets to me about the issue people are making, are the ficcers who claim it "puts his relationship with Harry in a new light". Like fuck it does. If Harry's mentor was a 60some year old woman who was straight, would people think she "fancied" him? Uh-huh, that's what I thought.

The only other man we know of that Dumbledore could have remotely had legit feelings for, is Snape, and considering their whole history I wouldn't doubt if it was the case... only on the inside, of course. Actually another man he could have been involved with was that guy Elphias (sp?) Doge.

Gavin Luper
6th December 2007, 02:23 AM
Where did you hear that? I heard she revealed it solely because of that direct question at the book signing.

I've got a feeling I read something like that on mugglenet a few weeks ago, though they didn't specifically say what it was, but that Jo had pointed out to them that some fact would need to change.

I actually don't think it makes any difference to anything. Zak's points aside (which I mostly agree with), I don't think anyone would expect this century-old man to be taking a romantic interest in anyone during the books, regardless of his sexual orientation. It was really irrelevant to the books, and that's why it was left out; Jo revealed it as an extra piece of character information. I believe that's all there is to it.

Water Pokemon Master
6th December 2007, 12:43 PM
She said in the Q/A session that she wrote that in the margin, thus revealing it to the people there. Also, she didn't go out of her way to say it - she has answered similar questions before in the same manner about other characters.

Chris 2.1
11th December 2007, 06:13 AM
Here is the part from Wiki:

Yates and Heyman have noted that some of the events of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows may influence the script of the film, and that there will not be as many memories in the film as in the book. Yates noted: "We're making a decision right now to compress those a wee bit, but we've still got some really cool ones." Quidditch will also feature, much to the annoyance of Radcliffe. Steve Kloves, who wrote the first four films but opted to pen The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime rather than the fifth film, returned for the sixth adaptation. Rowling has read Kloves' script and crossed out a passage in which Dumbledore recalls a past female love, penning in the margin "Dumbledore is gay."