PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who: Season 4 (2007-08)

Pokemaster Ash
24th November 2007, 03:46 PM
It's almost time for the latest set of journeys in the Tardis. Okay, technically it's just begun with the latest mini-ep (which I REALLY hope makes it into the next set of DVDs, I want to see it!). Should be an interesting season. Now here's what's out there already...

Peter Davison returned as the Fifth Doctor for this year's charity mini-ep called Time Crash, which takes place during the ending of Last of the Time Lords.
Martha has left the Tardis for now, but she will return later in the season.
Donna Noble from The Runaway Bride will be returning as a regular companion
This year's returning foes: The Sontarans

Not too bad of a season, though there are definitely other enemies from the Doctor's past I'd sure love to see again.

Houndoom_Lover
25th November 2007, 10:33 AM
NEEEEEEEEH! *flials about* When will it be! Past Christmas!! I can't wait! Oh lord! *falls over* ...Is it on already?! 0.0 I MISSED THE START! Noooooo!!!

^-^ I love Doctor Who

Ultimate Charizard
25th November 2007, 02:47 PM
Season 4 will hit the UK in Spring (usually) though there is a Christmas Special (featuring the Titanic and Kylie Minogue as the guest star) due for around christmas (surprisingly) though the Christmas listings arent out yet.
There was a mini episode shown during a charity telethon but it was more a fangasm for David Tennant playing the Doctor meeting the Doctor back in his 5th incarnation. (ie the one Tennant saw on TV as a kid)
Clever little storyline and entertaining though nothing major.

This is btw rhumoured to be David Tennants last season. The Doctors dont last all that long these days (although 3 seasons isnt bad).
Hot favourites to go after him include The guy who played the Master (Paul Simm i think) and Billie Piper, back as the first female Doctor. There are a few others in the running too though those are the main ones.

Pokemaster Ash
25th November 2007, 06:12 PM
Actually I think I've read that it's going to be the last regular season of Doctor Who for a little while. David Tennant has some prior obligations, I guess, but it doesn't look like he's leaving anytime soon so the show will go into a bit of a hiatus. I believe Season 5 will come in 2010 with some specials airing between the end of this season and then.

I don't think the Tenth Doctor will be leaving for a little while yet. Besides, they REALLY need to conserve on Doctors. He only has 3 regenerations left, barring any catastrophes/miracles.

Ultimate Charizard
25th November 2007, 06:39 PM
Not sure about that. I think back in the old series there was mention that although Timelords have 13 regenerations there was something wrong with the Doctor (something that happened in the TimeWar) and as such he has more (if not infinite)

You could be right though Ash, i remember hearing they would be taking a break so it didnt get too stale too quick though i had heard that the Current Doc wanted to move on. Maybe like you say a break will do him good.

Oh and in related news. Alice Cooper is in talks to guest star in Season 4.

Pokemaster Ash
27th November 2007, 10:23 PM
I guess they try to bring one minor foe back along with one major foe (like the Nestene Consciousness/Autons in Season 1 and the Macra in Season 3). Season 2 broke the trend by bringing back old companions (or bringing back a minor enemy from the first season, take your pick).

EDIT: Okay, I might have jumped the gun. Unless the BBC is protecting themselves against spoilers being leaked, the golden enemies featured in Voyage of the Damned are a new enemy. However I guess time will tell.

Ultimate Charizard
28th November 2007, 10:40 AM
Big news in the newspapers yesterday.
Billie Piper is to return as Rose for the traditional 3 part finale this year.
So the Doc is gonna have Donna, Martha and Rose to choose from :)

Houndoom_Lover
28th November 2007, 04:17 PM
I always found Rose a slight ugly. I know that's mean but...^_^ I'll be looking forward to the new season- I hope David lasts longer then normal, he's Time-tastic!! ^_^

Squeek! He's such a ladies man XD

Pokemaster Ash
28th November 2007, 10:14 PM
Well David Tennant certainly has gone about the average length for a Doctor so far. Just to recap the Doctors...

William Hartnell*: Seasons 1-3, part of Season 4 (Nov 1963 - Oct 1966)
Patrick Troughton: Seasons 4-6 (Nov 1966 - June 1969)
Jon Pertwee: Seasons 7-11 (Jan 1970 - June 1974)
Tom Baker: Seasons 12-18 (Dec 1974 - Mar 1981)
Peter Davison: Seasons 19-21 (Jan 1982 - Mar 1984)
Colin Baker: Season 21 finale, Seasons 22 & 23 (Mar 1984 - Dec 1986)
Sylvester McCoy: Seasons 24-26 (Sep 1987 - Dec 1989), Movie (1996)
Paul McGann: Doctor Who Movie (1996)
Second Series
Christopher Eccleston: Season 1 (2005)
David Tennant: Current Doctor (2005 - Present)
* - The First Doctor was portrayed by another actor (Richard Hurndall) in The Five Doctors as Hartnell had passed away.

Most Doctors usually only run about 3 seasons, with some exceptions. The Eighth Doctor is certainly the most neglected Doctor, and the Ninth unfortunately the most short-lived (though he was fun). Looks like the Tenth will be one of the longer-lasting ones.

AdventureSerum
29th November 2007, 07:56 PM
I THOUGHT I hated Rose. I discovered I was wrong when Martha came along. As much as I don't particularly like Tennant, he had better last quite some time. He's on his tenth regeneration, as I recall. At least emo-spaz is an improvement on that terrible emo-biker/headstrong soccer hooligan we got last regeneration.

All I want for Christmas is for Tom Baker to be the Doctor again. Or at least for the writers and setmakers return to their jammin' 70's roots.

Pokemaster Ash
29th November 2007, 10:06 PM
I give Rose some credit, actually. She's the only person I can think of to tell a Dalek to kill itself (the Seventh Doctor verbally tortured one into suicide, but didn't actually tell it to).

And I sure wouldn't mind the Tardis console room to look at least somewhat like it used to (an updated version of the classic design would be nice, but going back to the classic design itself I think wouldn't be feasible).

Ultimate Charizard
30th November 2007, 07:45 AM
Well from that Mini episode they did they explained the Tardis.
The Old Doctor realised he was in a Tardis but at first thought it wasnt his. It turns out that somewhere down the line the Doc decided to update the skin. (ie like a new Wallpaper for windows)

Pokemaster Ash
26th March 2008, 11:03 PM
Okay, doing a little bit of a topic revival here, but I've got a nice new little tidbit for the new season:

In addition to Billie Piper returning as Rose for a couple of episodes, it looks like Elizabeth Sladen is coming back as Sarah Jane Smith at least one more time this season. Whether or not K-9 is still with her, who knows?

This season just gets more and more fun...

AntiAsh Superstar
18th April 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm seriously shocked. Donna actually is growing to be my favourite companion from the modern day Doctor Who in spite of my prior worries about how Catherine Tate would handle the role. It works shockingly well so far, in fact this season's shaping up to be the best yet. All we need now is a Master episode or two featuring someone who can pull 'evil and psychopathic' off better than John Simm did. :D

Pokemaster Ash
21st April 2008, 11:34 AM
Well there are other evil beings out there, remember. I've actually heard rumor about someone with "the bottom half of a Dalek and the top half humanoid". Sounds possibly like Davros could be making a return (though at last check, most of his body was gone). Of course, if Davros is going to be around......

Houndoom_Lover
21st April 2008, 07:16 PM
Urgh!! I hated Rose too- she was such an ugly thing! I mean...she was just an ugly blond >.<. There are alot of blonds in the world *pick me doctor please* but they found the uglyist one.

Ultimate Charizard
22nd April 2008, 03:40 PM
Rose, or rather Billie Piper is actually pretty nice but unfortunately they had to dress her up as a Council estate chav.

Im enjoying the series so far. With Donna there its looking at the Doctors actions from a mature perspective and she questions his morals alot more than the younger assistants who were too caught up in the adventure.

Looks like things should really pick up next week with the Sontarians(sp) being the first of the returning 'old school' baddies and of course the return of Martha which im guessing is a 'Unit' thing.

Andrew
26th April 2008, 10:26 PM
Catherine Tate is pretty darn good so far I'll say. It's nice to have someone not swooning over the doctor.

Rose was pretty much Ten's equal. Same emotional wavelength, same giddy youthful fun and they always came to the same conclusions. That made losing her so much harder.

Martha was intelligent, just not as emotionally intelligent as the Doctor in order to realise she was getting the raw end of the deal.

Catherine Tate isn't afraid to have a go at the Doctor, which I love. She opposes him. But in a good way.

However, ROSE! WHEE!

Oh yeah, and the current series is pretty fucking kickass so far too. Pompeii was 4 types of Awesome! Ood was pretty awesome too. GENOCIDE 4 the win! And Partners in Crime. Love the cute Adipose.

The Sonatrans... eh... I don't care. The rest of the season looks brill. I'm looking forward to seeing the Beckham's Leisure Planet in the future. And the Doctor's Daugther. AND ROSE! And Jackie!

(Fav Jackie Moment - Doomsday - When Rose finishes talking to HOLOGRAM!Doctor on the beach and breaks down and they run to eachother)