PDA

View Full Version : Poll: I'm dark and cold.

Drago
17th December 2007, 07:19 AM
So there I was, sitting in my chair watching the Transformers movie (hehe) when all of a sudden the room goes dark, everything in the house shuts down and my dad says a phrase that's not suitable for the kids.
That's right, I just had a blackout! Went for an hour, too. Which is longer than usual around here, generally they just last for a couple minutes, if even.

So it made me ask some questions...

1. When was your last blackout?
2. How long did it last?
3. Cause any problems?
4. What did you do to pass the time?
5. Any fond blackout memories?

1. Just then, of cawse.
2. An hour, silly!
3. Not really, though I was really bored and kinda worried that it might've hurt my computer which was on at the time.
4. As always, dad and I just went into the living room and hovered around a candle. Great family time.
5. Back in Canada blackouts were fairly frequent. It was always really exciting, being in this big, double storey house... Everyone all gathered around the living room and breaking out the old scary story books. Just felt like a different world. Blackouts were seriously great for just old fashioned chilling.

Blademaster
17th December 2007, 07:28 AM
Same time as DragoKnight.

2. How long did it last?
Same time as DragoKnight.

3. Cause any problems?
...Same as DragoKnight...

Oh, thank God. Not the same. I went outside and broke ice off the swimming pool with a hammer, which I then rationalized by putting in the powerless freezer.

Sleeping on the living room floor next to my dad as a little kid. Our rooms were too hot, so the nice, cool floor was perfect for us, him being kinda fat and me having my caffeine-induced +1.3* Fahrenheit body temperature. NOT fun... :sweat:

Shadow Wolf
17th December 2007, 10:18 AM

Well, that was like three months ago

2. How long did it last?

I believe it lasted 1 hour and 18 minutes

3. Cause any problems?

Not really, except that my sister was rambling about being bored after half an hour.

Well, my family and I played some cards, and then we did jokes for about twenty minutes. After the hour passed, I played with my clock, starting and stopping the cronometer as fast as possible. (Yeah, at that time, I was criticaly bored!)

The blackouts I like the most are when a hurricane is passing by. I like to drink some chocolate while watching trees move from side to side.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th December 2007, 10:19 AM

Those shouldn't be rare here in Finland, but I actually don't remember when. It must be some time ago, perhaps I have been outside when the last one happened so I didn't notice.

2. How long did it last?

The ones I remember lasted perhaps for 15 minutes or so.

3. Cause any problems?

No playing videogames!

Played Gameboy perhaps...

Well I had one blackout I found very amusing. It was year 2003, our school had a spring festival (called 'vappu' here in Finland.). Our indigenous physics teacher Veikko Taipale was showing us some test, he did some switching, picked a lead, and touched a radiator!! Half of school went out of power and he said:

"Eihän tässä näin pitänyt käydä!!"

In English:

"It shouldn't have happened like this here!!"

Master Pokemonh
2nd January 2008, 12:04 AM
Wow, I haven't been here for 5 years...
anyway

1. Around a year ago

2. eh, 30 minutes...

3. nope

4. I probably slept

5. Unfortunately, no :)

Drago
2nd January 2008, 01:11 AM
Cripes, my topics seem to do a fantastic job of bringing back lost members.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
2nd January 2008, 01:13 AM
2. How long did it last?
3. Cause any problems?

1.) Early 2007. The entire appartment complex (1000+ appartments) were cut off power.
2.) For a good three hours as far as I remember. It happened at 11 pm.
3.) No, the power wasn't out long enough to make the fridge deice and that's usually the first problem.
4.) Go to bed really as it was late anyway.
5.) Hm, no, it's usually a bother but only happens once every few years anyway.

Vejodi
2nd January 2008, 02:40 AM
What the hell, it's Master Pokemonh?! So many people returning lately.

-About August 2007, where I was in Uni. The whole city was out for 3 hours.
2. How long did it last?
-3 hours.
3. Cause any problems?
-Traffic lights weren't working, that's a problem in itself!
-Studied and had lunch!
-Nope.

Toxicity
2nd January 2008, 04:44 AM
2. How long did it last?
3. Cause any problems?

1. Back in September of '04 with Hurricane Jeanne, if I remember correctly.

2. 6 pm until 3 pm or so the next day.

3. Nothing too serious. Except for boredom and hunger due to the power cutting off before the end of a movie, and cold chili.

4. Slept, watched the wind and rain, Gameboy.

5. When we first lost power with one of the '04 hurricanes, I took to the flooding streets and attempted to surf with a snowboard and a few sleds. Epic proof that moving south did not ruin their cause.

CuteLassJigglypuff
3rd January 2008, 03:43 PM
1. I think it was sometime in August 2007.

2. About 2 to 3 hours.

3. Not really.

4. Played with my Gameboy.

5. Don't have any.

darktyranitar
5th January 2008, 10:25 AM
My college suffers a lot of brief period of blackout - most are usually in the day though. As for the 'real' blackout... hm, it's on July 26.

2. How long did it last?
About 3 hours.

3. Cause any problems?
I couldn't finish the assignment and tutorials I was supposed to be doing.

We talked about some ghost stories. My friend burned a 'bonfire' to light up the room, hehe.

Yeah, about a few years back, when we returned back home after a long trip. And guess what we found out? The electrician cut off our power supply, apparently because we haven't paid the bill yet. Moral of story? Pay up your electricity bill ASAP :P