PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] Names' and Nicknames' Origins

Dark-San
13th January 2008, 10:05 AM
Names. Dictionary.com states that names are a word or a combination of words by which a person, place, or thing, a body or class, or any object of thought is designated, called, or known. In another word, names are what differentiates you from the others.

They can come in different forms of language and hence there would be a totally different meaning to them altogether.

Poll

1) What is your real full name? (Kindly indicate your surname as well and explain on its meaning if it has.)

To those, who are already added in my Facebook's contact. You would have know of my full name, it is Goh Wee Meng. My surname would be Goh. Wee Meng is my name. When combined together, they probably would not meant anything since they are a direct translation from my Mandarin name.

My Mandarin name would looked like this; '吴伟铭', or read as 'Wu Wei Ming'. The characters are represented like these if they are written in simplified Chinese. Goh would literally be translated as '吴'; 'Wu'. '伟'; 'Wei', itself would mean great as someone of a prominent figure.

'铭'; 'Ming' would be a little harder to explain. In traditional Chinese, it would be written with two characters if split up. The first half of the character would signify '金‘; 'Jin' or gold. The second half of the character would mean '名'; 'Ming' or fame. Together '铭'; 'Ming' was given to me as a name to ensure that I would be embedded with riches and fame for the latter part of my life.

Yeah, I do believe that the explanation might sound pretty dumb but this is how we got our names from our parents.

What is your current and past nick and where do it originated from?

I do not remember having serious nicknames given to me in reality. The one that came in closest would be Joker to regards of the numerous lame and cold jokes that I made it out of my own.

Internet- wise, I also had several nicks. Darkyouth and Dark-san prompty tops the entire list of nicks that I called myself during my eight or seven years in TPM. Darkyouth is probably the easiest nick that comes to mind since I took it off from some Counterstrike bot and made it my own.

It was later on in the latter part of 2006, when I changed it into Dark-san. Firstly, it was then an attempt to convert my name in order to make it sound more Japanese. Secondly, I was already too deep into anime then and got this nick from one of the anime, Dark Angel.

3) What nick or name would you want people to greet you as?

Majority of my close friends called me 'Meng'. Most of the online contacts that I had in TPM and other forums called me 'Dark'.

However nowadays, there is a mixture of people from both sides that called me by both. I am fine with either 'Meng' or 'Dark' It is pretty much up to the individual. If the person feels that calling me by my real name is inappropriate, they can refer me as 'Dark'. I do not mind that.

Interestingly, I have a group of working colleagues that call me Michael. It all started during my two years stint in Army. My superior and the chief clerk wanted me to take up an English name, since they find it bothersome to refer me in my Mandarin name.

At first, I wanted them to call me as 'Meng'. But then after several email exchanges in the office, they initially called me as Mike for no reason. And by the time, I left the military. I had already make my mark there as 3SG Michael Goh. >.<;

Believe it. There are still people calling me by that name. In fact now, the majority of that group of people comes from my university.

Random Question: How do you dudes find this poll?

I kept my side of the bargain to come up with a poll. You dudes could be looking forward of seeing me posting weekly polls to generate some activity here.

As for the poll, I do not generally find it boring. As for any other comments, I leave it for you dudes to find out.

Clark
13th January 2008, 11:24 AM
1) What is your real full name? (Kindly indicate your surname as well and explain on its meaning if it has.)
My name is Clark Coleman. Its meaning is I'm the best. :D

2) What is your current and past nick and where do it originated from?
Clarky/Clarkie, junkie/junk, ace.
Clarky/Clarkie from my family, originating from my name Clark.
Ace, from my many years at TPM, the shortened version is Ace.
junkie/junk, comes from my fps gaming and silkroad online name that I've used for the past 3 years.

Clark. Though I do accept junkie/junk/ace online. If you call me anything but Clark IRL you will probably get a stare. lol

As a dude, this poll is fine. Though I certainly know "dudettes" come here also, so they may have to add their opinion on your sexist attitude. :p

Shadow Wolf
13th January 2008, 11:58 AM

Well, my full name is Luis Angel Alvarado Ortiz(danger of identity stolen 0_0 )

Luis-Famous Warrior
Angel-mystic religional creature
Alvarado-who guards off
Ortiz-the sky

So uh, by my name, I am the famous angel warrior who guards off the sky. Kinda unique, I guess...

Well, my nickname has always been "Bolin" (derived from "bola", in english "ball", since I looked like a basketball when I was born ^_^; )

Well, I'm okay with Lou,Louis,Bolin, or if I could be named with a fantasy nickname, then I would be the "shadow wolf"

4) Random Question: How do you dudes find this poll?

Don't forget the girls! ^_^

Anyway, this poll is unique and good as the others. The problem is that it is hard to make a poll where everyone can answer it without fear.

Toxicity
13th January 2008, 12:41 PM

1. Laura Kay Anderson.

Laura - laurel flower used in Roman garlands for heroes
Kay - no real meaning, although Sir Kay was apparently a knight of the round table
Anderson - patron saint of Scotland was St. Andrew, the first disciple of Jesus; Andrew also means "manly" (I lol'd)

2. I have garnered quite a few nicknames.

Angel - reference to the handle I use on another forum
Tox/Toxi-chan - shortened form of 'Toxicity'
Chib ("cheeb") - nickname a pseudo-otaku at my high school gave me for my height
Aimée - name I used for French classes
Luce - family nickname with many disputed origins; generally accepted as a reference to both "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and Lucifer
Tokyo Rose - where I was conceived

3. I prefer to go straight through as Laura, although I'll accept Angel or Toxicity or any shortened form of Toxicity in terms of online.

4. First dudette to post! Woo!

But seriously, Who's Online did it for me.

Blademaster
13th January 2008, 03:48 PM
Majority of my close friends called me 'Meng'. Most of the online contacts that I had in TPM and other forums called me 'Dark'.

I think you forget somebody, Darx. ;)

Lady Vulpix
13th January 2008, 05:55 PM
Gabriela Steren.
Gabriela is the feminine form of Gabriel (גַבְרִיאֵל), which means something like "made strong by God".
Steren is a deformation of Stern (שטרן) which means "star" in Yiddish. By some strange coincidence (or maybe not), "Steren" seems to mean "star" in Cornish too.

Lady Vulpix: I've explained it countless times, it originated from Pokemon and from the fact I wanted my gender to be evident.

Other nicknames I use:
Lilirins (pronounced rougly like Lily Rinse, but with a rolling R): means "pretty butterfly" in a language I made up when I was 7.
Gliynn (pronounced Gleen): made-up name for a short-lived RPG. I still use it for e-mail and a Yahoo profile.
Gabi: short for Gabriela.

Gabi. all my friends call me that.

Refreshing and mildly informative... save for the TPM nickname part which has been done till exhaustion. In any case, it's good to know people are not so paranoid about giving their names these days.

Drago
14th January 2008, 07:22 AM
My name is Anthony Cocking. The former supposedly derived from Antonius, a Roman family name. Could be derived from the Greek word ανθος (anthos), which means 'flower', or alternatively, rooted in history as Anteneh in the afro-semitic Ethiopic languages of Amhariña and Tigriña, and also in their parent language, ancient Ge'ez, all of which when translated have the same literal meaning: 'that one guy'. ...All shamelessly lifted from Wikipedia, yo.
The latter is just an unfortunate surname to possess, my earliest known relations hailing from England. I tried looking for some meaning behind it, but typing the amalgamated phrases 'Cock' 'king' in any search engine is just asking for trouble.

Back when I regularly called myself Anthony, my nickname was Ant, my sister having called me that for as long as I can remember, and it just seems to have stuck with me from everyone else who knows me as Anthony. As of 2006 though I started randomly calling myself Tony, so everyone I've met since then calls me that. I dunno why I went with Tony, nor do I really know which one I really think of myself as.

I'm fine with either Anthony or Tony, though if anyone's more creative I usually feel pretty happy to have whatever nickname they want. Some people just call me Canada. lol

Pretty good poll, got me thinking and that's what matters. Looking forward to Dark's poll of the week!

Master of Paradox
14th January 2008, 08:41 AM
1) Full name: Jason Earl Otting.

Jason: Derived from the Latin for "healer". In my case, it was at least partially inspired by a very short-lived animated series called "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors". I only occasionally have to indicate there is no Y in it.

Earl: The name of my late great-grandfather.

Otting: A German surname. My grandfather was an immigrant. I have more relatives than I can count and many don't live in this country.

2) Nicknames: I don't typically go by a nickname in real life, and on one occasion attempted a severe beating on a group of people who gave me one I didn't like. Online, however, I go by several.

Most of my names revolve around the word "Paradox", because I rather like the word. The idea of an irresolvable logical contradiction fits rather well into your worldview when you're mentally unbalanced.

I used to come up with stories based around a group called the Darems (originally short for "Dark Redeemer", although as the stories changed that connatation vanished). The True Darem was the father of all of them, and a linchpin in reality. This led to my unfortunately long-lived AIM handle TrueDarem. I often have to explain that I didn't mean "Dream".

One screenname I often use is derived from that name - Man Called True. There's no special meaning, I just like the sound.

3) Preferred name: If I know you well enough, my first name. If I don't know you well enough, Paradox or True, depending on the situation (whether I'm going by a name with "Paradox" in it or by TrueDarem/Man Called True). Never shorten my given name.

4) I found this poll as I was scrolling down the Polls and Games section.

Blademaster
14th January 2008, 08:58 AM
Fuck it. I'm bored.

1. What is your real full name? (Kindly indicate your surname as well and explain on its meaning if it has.)

David Lennuanaule.

David means 'beloved' in Hebrew. ...I think. At any rate, I was named after the Hebrew king, so there you go.

Lennuanaule... Your guess is as good as mine. There's no exact matches anywhere on the Internet, and the closest results are written on pages that I assume are German or Scandinavian. Given my heritage, German is more likely...

2. What is your current and past nick and where do it originated from?

I have many. I stopped going by 'David' when I reached the age of reason - I've since shortened it to the far-more-aesthetically-pleasing 'Dave.'

Online, my universal nickname is 'Blade,' with 'Zorc' a close second. Though these are my two most famous, I occasionally adopt other personae depending upon my mood, the most (in)famous being my 'absolute seriousness' pseudonym, 'CuleX'/'Culex.'

Offline, the name 'Dax' is occasionally used since I love the letter 'X.'

3. What nick or name would you want people to greet you as?

Offline, I'm best known as 'Dave,' so I prefer that.
Online, I'm best known as 'Blade,' so I prefer that.
If someone offline refers to me as 'Blade,' I become embarrassed. Online, I detest being referred to by 'Dave.' I come here to escape real life, dammit! :swear:

4. How do you dudes find this poll?

I find it by clicking on the 'Polls, Clubs, and Games' link on the TPM homepage, and then from the PCG homepage I click on the link entitled '[Poll] Names' and Nicknames' Origins,' by Dark-San.

...That USUALLY works.

Magmar
14th January 2008, 04:07 PM
1. My real name is Barry.

Barry means "nice hair". It's diminutive of Irish Fiohnbarr.

2. I've had two nicknames: Barrylius and Bazza.

3. I'd prefer to be called Barry, Bazza or Baz. Whatever YOU prefer! Barrylius is what my close friends call me, so I tend to be a bit exclusive with it.

4. I don't feel like answering this question.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th January 2008, 07:42 AM

Mikael - my mother chose this because he thought it means 'who loves like God' in Hebrew. I myself found from a book that it means 'who is God'.
Juhana - a Finnish variation of 'John'.
Tanska - (my surname) - now comes the funny one. Tanska is namely a country's name in Finnish language - Denmark!

What is your current and past nick and where do it originated from?

Mikachu (Yukitatsu) - my internet name can be found from firepokemon's poll.
Miksu - a name given to me at Mielikkitalo.
Mister Japan - some kids called me this when I was at school.
Maisseli - I was called this mainly when I was like 13-15.

Mikachu! It has to be Mikachu! It sounds so great when someone calls me that in real life. Especially if a girl says that! I still remember some cute admirers of mine greeted me 'Moi Mikachu' i.e. 'Hello Mikachu'.

I remember we have had a poll about real-life nicknames a loooooong time ago but I say it again, it needed updating just as firepokemon's one. Keep these coming, Dark-san!

darktyranitar
20th January 2008, 04:24 AM
Ahmad (akh MAHD) Faiz (FAH eez) bin Salmanfarsi (sahlman farsee). In Arabic, Ahmad would mean worthy of praise; more commendable and Faiz would mean successful; victorious. Bin would mean 'the son of' in Arabic, IIRC (for female, it is 'binti' - it's usually used by the Arabians, although it is associated with Muslim as well). Salmanfarsi would be the name of my father, which refers to a certain acquaintance of the Prophet Muhammad.

Hm... let's see...
-darktyranitar: TPM username, which is used in a few other forums as well. Name taken from a Pokemon TCG card, which bears the same name.
-Mat (not to be pronounced as 'met'): A shorter version of Ahmad, this nickname is quite common among the Malaysian community. Although it wasn't until high school that some people refer to me by this name, after a teacher called me by this nickname.
-Pait (Pa-it): Similar to Mat, this would be a derivation of Faiz. Occasionally used by some of my friends.
-Salmanfarsi: Apparently, since my father's name is rather uncommon and unique, a few of my teacher called my by this name.
-Kedek-kedek (kay-dack-kay-dack): One of the worst nickname ever, IMO. There's no official meaning for this word, if I'm not mistaken. Apparently, while I'm in National Service, some guy said that I marched rather sloppily, claiming that it was rather 'kedek-kedek'. Then, someone started to call me by that nickname, much to my annoyance.
-Yakin (Ya-kin): In Malay, it would mean 'confidence'. Another nickname that came from National Service, after some guys dared me to speak in public, in which he repeatedly told me to be confident. I did it, and later, they came up with the nickname. Heh.
-Chief: My current nick. The nickname was given by my English lecturer, referring to my status as the head of my tutorial group. I quite like it :)

Faiz, please :)

It was quite fun; where else can we find out the name of the other TPMers, as well as their nicknames? :D

Weasel Overlord
10th February 2008, 07:12 PM
Bored again!

Kirsten Jaide North.

Kirsten - Danish and Norwegian form of "Christine", meaning "follower of God".
Jaide - English unisex name taken from the name of a precious stone. My mum added in an "i" to be weird, I think, heh.
North - At a guess, I'd say it's Viking or something, but I have no idea. Take a wild guess, heh, my last name is boring.

Weasel - Believe it or not, Weasel actually is a nickname of mine. Cos I have a talent for weaselling through crowds, apparently (stemming off Weasel, we have: Wurz, Wurzworth, Wurzel, Wease, Weasie Cheeseweez, Cheesel, anything else you can think of in relation to that).
Kirst - This is the one most of my family use, and a few online people, too. Self-explanatory, methinks.
Kirkleton - Stolen from Scrubs XD (stemming off this one, we have: Kirk, Kirkle, Mirkle).
Mr. Bosun - Don't ask.
Phylis - Me and my friend used to have old lady conversations in Physics. She was Ethel, I was Phylis.
Hikari Datenshi - My online persona for most places other than TPM. I use this for my livejournal, and for my rotation site.
Marmite - I like marmite (stemming off this, we have: Marmy, Marmymon).
Did I mention that I have innumerable nicknames? I can't even remember them all! This is but a selection!

I like Weasie. Or if you know me well enough to call me by my name, Kirst is fine. Although if you're Vulpix.ck, there are so many options, but I think my favourite is Kirkle.

It is... poll-like. :)

AntiAsh Superstar
20th February 2008, 02:06 PM
1. My name is officially Adrian Milliardo Black... Adrian meaning 'from Adria' apparently, Milliardo meaning 'I officially changed my middle name to something bizarre' and Black meaning 'I also changed my surname by deed poll to escape the name of my birth father who is a twat to say the least'.

2. 'Ade' is what I get called by most people who know me as it's a shortening of my first name... my nick here is 'AntiAsh Superstar' coz I was a total Marilyn Manson fanatic at the time I joined TPM and wanted to put a Pokémon spin on his best album at the time... and on IM and practically everywhere else I go by the monicker 'Manachu Boy' which was given to me by someone else on account of my love for a very Cenobite-ish creature in a friend's fanfic and since then has just plain stuck. :3

3. You greet me as 'my lord and master'... or 'Ade' if that seems too formal for you.

4. I find this poll... poll-like. Whatever happened to the days of the random question in polls just being something like 'Soup?'.

Crazy Elf Boy
20th February 2008, 07:13 PM
1: My Full name is Stephen James Peter Green (don't ask me what it means because i have no idea and am to lazy to research any of it)

2:
Online I have
-Crazy Elf Boy
-Crazy
-CEB
-Elf Boy
-Elf
-Elgnombre (From playing WoW)
-Gnombre (From playing WoW)

Offline:
-Steven
-Steve
-Elf Boy
-Elf Child
-Leprechaun (Because I am not very tall, my last name is green and I am very fast with good sleight of hand)

3: I don't mind Stephen, Steven, Steve, Crazy Elf Boy, CEB, Elf Boy or Elf.

4: I don't mind polls like these because they get the TPM community to know each other better.

firepokemon
28th March 2008, 10:35 PM
Old poll yes but I can't work out why I never replied to it.

Full name: Conrad Haukino Lake

Haukino is maori meaning great warrior chief.

Online:

firepokemon is my name. People shorten it to fp, way back some would say Haukino. Othernise it would be other nicknames I use such as gingercrush with figure skating and meerkat manor. You then could I guess go into all my other names ie. crazefire, flying destiny and those shitty names.

firepokemon was pure lazyness as I couldn't think of any other name.crazefire - came about because one I'm firepokemon and two craze was my early early internet name. Flying Destiny - I like flying pokemon??? gingercrush - Because I think up shitty names.

Offline:

Connie - Hated that one
Condom - Bah
Devilman - Some dickhead use to call me that because apparently I looked like a devil O_o
Marilyn - Marilyn Manson - Again for some reason he though I looked like him, I really don't know why he thought that but he did.

I would like people to call me firepokemon or fp as they have for eight years now. gingercrush for my other forums, but I just post at those, not really wanting to get into the community/online friend part of it so they couldn't really call me anything else anyway.

The poll was fine, I just don't know why I never replied to it prior.

Zak
28th March 2008, 11:05 PM
1. My full name is Zechariah Michael Klausner. All I know is:
Zechariah (if you pronounce it right) is Hebrew for "God remembered" It's NOT "Zack-uh-rye-uh" like most anglos would say, it's actually "Zuh-CHAR-yuh" with the "ch" from the throat.
Michael - Surprisingly I actually don't know the full meaning of this name but no doubt someone here does. Also something to do with God in Hebrew. EDIT: Mikachu Yukitatsu answered that question.
Klausner I have no idea, the closest thing I would imagine is German for "cloister" or something else.

2. If it weren't for the third question I would have thought you meant the shortened version, rather than on TPM. In my case it's the same: "Zak". I used to have other names which I'll try to list, but then I just ended up being on a first name basis and following the trend of using the first name as a username. Plus, it's also a bit of a way to show that it's important that I spell it that way as many people mistakingly call me "Zach" online.
My first nickname ever was "SCIZOR ROX THE HOUSE" but I never posted and that account was pruned in the hack, but anyway once I started posting it was SpinaZAK238, at every Pokemon place I joined I just tried fitting the name in somehow, it was either that or Zakdos (thank god I went with what I did). I changed my name a lot here on the UBB. I actually can't recall most of them.
Now all over the internet I just go by Zak or Zak6009 to match my email if Zak is taken.

Offline... oh god. I've had so many nicknames it's ridiculous. "Klanzer" holds a special place in my heart but it's an inside joke that goes way back. Not gonna bother listing them all.

3. "Zak", please. It would actually depend who you are though in some cases I'd like to be addressed as something else. :P

4. I don't understand why women are answering this question since he clearly said "dudes". But anyway I saw it in the last-posted-in thread in PCG on the main index.