PDA

View Full Version : Heath Ledger - dead at 28

Toxicity
22nd January 2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22788914/?GT1=10755

NEW YORK - Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday in a Manhattan apartment in a possible drug-related death, police said. He was 28.

According to the New York Times, Ledger was found naked and unconscious with pills strewn all around him in an apartment owned by actress Mary-Kate Olsen. Police sources told the Times that the death appeared to be a suicide.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the apartment. The housekeeper, who went to let Ledger know the masseuse was there, found him unconscious at approximately 3:30 p.m. ET, according to the New York Times. After receiving no response from the actor after shaking him, they called authorities.

“We are investigating the possibility of an overdose,” Browne said. “There were pills within the vicinity of the bed.”

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for “Brokeback Mountain,” where he met actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn with their 2-year-old daughter, Matilda, until they split up last year.

Ledger was to appear as the Joker this year in “The Dark Knight,” a sequel to 2005’s “Batman Begins.” He’s had starring roles in “A Knight’s Tale” and “The Patriot,” and played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in “Monster’s Ball.”

Ledger grew up in Perth, and began doing amateur theater at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series “Roar,” Ledger moved to Los Angeles and costarred in “10 Things I Hate About You,” a teen comedy reworking of “The Taming of the Shrew.”

Offers for other teen flicks came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he didn’t like.

“It wasn’t a hard decision for me,” Ledger told the Associated Press in 2001. “It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, ‘You’re crazy,’ my parents were like, ‘Come on, you have to eat.”’

His latest role was in “I’m Not There,” in which he played one of the many incarnations of Bob Dylan — as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned an Oscar nomination Tuesday for best supporting actress.

I just got on, saw this, and was stunned. Just...who really sees things like these coming? Or rather, it's not that you don't see it happening so much as when it happens.

And now I wonder what this will mean for "The Dark Knight."

Chris 2.1
22nd January 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm really shocked. If Britney or Amy Winehouse killed themselves, I don't think many would be surprised. Their life stories and troubles are splashed across tabloids every day. But I always saw Heath Ledger as a sucessful actor with a lot to live for. His part in The Dark Knight was so exciting. To think he's dead is just a real blow.

RIP Heath.

I also hope TDK isnt pushed back. I can understand if it is, but...

Roy Karrde
22nd January 2008, 05:41 PM
And now I wonder what this will mean for "The Dark Knight."

I also hope TDK isnt pushed back. I can understand if it is, but...

I believe nothing will happen to it, the movie has already been filmed and is now in Post Production. The main problem comes with the third movie in which the Joker was supposed to return.

Anyway I never saw Brokeback Mountain, I only know him through The Patriot in which he played one of Mel Gibson's sons.

I do wonder why he killed himself, I know it doesn't matter but I do keep wondering if it did have something to do with the Joker role for the movie. Mainly becuase of all the interviews he did saying that he went through some pretty dark stuff to get him mentally ready for the part. Including creating a "Death Diary" or something in which he would write down so many psychotic things that came to mind.

Chris 2.1
22nd January 2008, 05:45 PM
I know the movie is finished, but I thought maybe having a recently deceased actor portraying this sadistic mess wouldn't be a good call. It might send him off in a bad light.

But Wiki tells me he spent a month alone in a hotel room getting into the character for the Joker. And I read about the 'death diary' too. How unnerving.

Roy Karrde
22nd January 2008, 05:48 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/movies/moviesspecial/04lyal.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin

Here is a link from a recent interview he gave New York Times, which talks about the Death Diary. Another thing unerving about it, is that it mentions that he was having sleeping problems becuase of the part.

his Joker is a “psychopathic, mass-murdering, schizophrenic clown with zero empathy” he said cheerfully — and, as often happens when he throws himself into a part, he is not sleeping much.

“Last week I probably slept an average of two hours a night,” he said. “I couldn’t stop thinking. My body was exhausted, and my mind was still going.” One night he took an Ambien, which failed to work. He took a second one and fell into a stupor, only to wake up an hour later, his mind still racing.

Why this is important is becuase they believe it is possibly a overdose of sleeping pills.

Heald
22nd January 2008, 06:04 PM
How ironic. The man who played the Joker killed himself.

AdventureSerum
22nd January 2008, 06:26 PM
Who is Heath Ledger?

Perfect Chaos
22nd January 2008, 06:36 PM
That is pretty unnerving about the whole sleep issues that he had.

To think, there was role that was too much for an actor to handle. That's the Joker for ya.

RIP Heath, you were a great actor and very sorry to see you go like this

-Sean

Drago
22nd January 2008, 08:14 PM
Serum, you are kidding, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Ledger

As an Australian, this has been ringing across the news and across my mind for a while now. I hadn't seen much of Heath's work so I hadn't gained a great attachment to him, but I still see this as a shocking, tragic event that never should've happened.
I wouldn't have thought anything of the Joker preparations had it not been for that last story of sleep issues...

But for now, I suppose the reasons don't really matter. The fact remains, a young man has died long before his time. My prayers go out to his family and friends... Just another shocking occurence that took yet another life away. :(

Magmar
22nd January 2008, 09:15 PM
The American economy is crashing, and all people care about is some guy that none of you knew. Maybe I'm just a bitter old man or something but... he was a good actor, but I'm not mourning anything.

Drago
22nd January 2008, 10:41 PM
The American economy is crashing, and all people care about is some guy that none of you knew.
It's been doing that for some time now. Old news, Maggy.

Crystal Mew
22nd January 2008, 10:56 PM
I heard about this earlier, and I must say I'm pretty shocked that he died. Out of all the stupid whores that practically kill themselves every week (i.e britney that amy winehouse slut, ect) heath ledger had to die =(

r.i.p heath <33

Clark
23rd January 2008, 12:08 AM
Who is Heath Ledger?
+1

Some guy said it at work, and I just gave him a blank stare. No idea who he was, nor will I care, since he's not with us anymore. One less to raise the temperature for global warming.

mistysakura
23rd January 2008, 05:35 AM
The American economy is crashing, and all people care about is some guy that none of you knew. Maybe I'm just a bitter old man or something but... he was a good actor, but I'm not mourning anything.

Surely I can care about both?

Rest in peace, Heath Ledger. Obviously, didn't know him, but it's always tragic when someone leaves the world in such a fashion way before their time. I hope the word 'drugs' won't scar his image, not in the face of family and friends mourning.

Weasel Overlord
23rd January 2008, 06:12 AM
We heard about this in my house last night, and it was like a massive mourn-fest, which felt slightly over-the-top to me, but then, I DO live in a house full of girls, so (and yes, I am one too, but doesn't mean I ACT like one).

It's a sad thing when someone dies so young, but I'll never understand the mentality behind suicide, if that is indeed what it was. And I'm not sure that you can put full blame on the Joker part, either. It wouldn't take a simple part-playing to send someone off on a suicide attempt, there's obviously got to be deeper things going on that no-one knows about.

So in essence, I guess I'm not in mourning, but I am sad. Though it's the sort of sad you get when you don't know someone personally, in that it's not very lasting or profound. And to be honest, I seriously doubt they'll not release the new Batman film because of it. I guess they'll leave it a respectful amount of time before releasing it, but that it will be delayed. But hey, we should be used to delays now, right, with the whole writer's strike going on? Which I totally support, on an unrelated note.

RIP Heath. I'll miss your pretty face. Which seems VERY shallow of me, but it's true.

Heald
23rd January 2008, 07:44 AM
In my opinion, if you don't kill yourself after assuming the role of the Joker, you didn't do a good enough job.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
23rd January 2008, 08:33 AM
Really a shame, I liked him a lot in A Knight's Tale, one of my favorie movies in this decade. Being 28 really isn't a good age to die. Well, let's see what news the upcoming authopsy will bring.

Blademaster
23rd January 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm with Serum, ACE, Britprick, and especially Magmar: People die every hour of every day, but the world doesn't ever know or care. If I dropped dead tomorrow, nobody would know or care outside a small circle of friends and family. Whoop-de-shit. In this topic, people from Florida to England to Australia are shocked and/or in mourning because he was in a bunch of movies. Bah.

On an unrelated note, it has been one week - the dare is expired, so I can post the letter 'D' again. Yay. Heald shall remain as 'Britprick' for the time being, though.

Heald
23rd January 2008, 10:22 AM
Well fuck you then.

Roy Karrde
23rd January 2008, 02:06 PM
It's a sad thing when someone dies so young, but I'll never understand the mentality behind suicide, if that is indeed what it was.

Being suicidal is something you have to experience before you can understand it. It isn't really a decision you make as if you were going to go buy a loaf of breed. It is almost a uncouncous decision like if you were laying in bed, you suddenly look at the Ceiling fan and go "I wonder if that would hold my weight if I could hang myself." or "I could just go into the bathroom and drink all the chemicals." Those thoughts just pop into your head just like say a story idea or a character. You do not even actually realize you are thinking about it until it hits you.

And I'm not sure that you can put full blame on the Joker part, either. It wouldn't take a simple part-playing to send someone off on a suicide attempt, there's obviously got to be deeper things going on that no-one knows about.

I really am leaning toward it being losing his Girlfriend and Daughter. That being said he was a very dedicated actor, and was already suffering depression when he threw himself into the part of a killing psychopath. That doesn't really sound like a good combo to me.

In my opinion, if you don't kill yourself after assuming the role of the Joker, you didn't do a good enough job.

Best.Quote.EVER.

Anyway being some one that has experienced Suicidal Depression, I can feel a bit of empathy for Ledger if that is how he took his life. That being said I am also disgusted at him. He had a 2 year old child, a little girl who will now grow up with out her father. Everyone goes through hard times, but when he became a father he took up the duty to suffer through anything for his child.

Heald
23rd January 2008, 02:48 PM
Everyone goes through hard times, but when he became a father he took up the duty to suffer through anything for his child.

Hard times? "Boohoohoo! I'm an acclaimed, rich, world-famous actor who everyone loves and could take my pick of any woman (and possibly any man, if he swung that way) on this planet." The fact that his corpse was found by his own personal masseuse really says it all. Hell, I'll make sure I don't keep any easily swallowed medicines that I could overdose on around if I ever make it big and have my own personal masseuse, just in case my giant bed of money and women isn't as big as I thought it would be.

Suicide used to be meaningful. Now it is the reserve of attention-seekers. People who are genuinely suicidal because they've been dealt a shit hand in life have a reason, but it wasn't like this guy seemed to be screaming for help. Considering he was purportedly seeing one of Australia's hottest supermodels, most people would buy him a pint, not a self-help book.

Of course, it could still be that he accidentally took an overdose, in which case he's just an idiot.

Blademaster
23rd January 2008, 09:00 PM
Hard times? "Boohoohoo! I'm an acclaimed, rich, world-famous actor who everyone loves and could take my pick of any woman (and possibly any man, if he swung that way) on this planet." The fact that his corpse was found by his own personal masseuse really says it all. Hell, I'll make sure I don't keep any easily swallowed medicines that I could overdose on around if I ever make it big and have my own personal masseuse, just in case my giant bed of money and women isn't as big as I thought it would be.

Suicide used to be meaningful. Now it is the reserve of attention-seekers. People who are genuinely suicidal because they've been dealt a shit hand in life have a reason, but it wasn't like this guy seemed to be screaming for help. Considering he was purportedly seeing one of Australia's hottest supermodels, most people would buy him a pint, not a self-help book.

Of course, it could still be that he accidentally took an overdose, in which case he's just an idiot.

Britprick, you are a cold, unfeeling, demented bastard.

Save me a seat when you get to Hell, will ya? I'm still laughing at that post.

Toxicity
23rd January 2008, 09:10 PM
...although to keep this to a slight degree of seriousness, I do agree with what Heald was trying to say.

Hard times for Heath Ledger? Tell that to the guy on the streets who went through the same situation and is still alive, and see what he says. Maybe convince him to say more with a free meal and some of the money that would've been used for the production of Brokeback Mountain II.

Roy Karrde
23rd January 2008, 10:07 PM

You know really, money shouldn't have anything to do with this situation. Yeah he is rich and all, but he lost his daughter and the love of his life. That will drive anyone into a depression, not to mention he did dive himself into a very destructive role.

That being said he is a pussy, he is a pathetic little bastard for leaving his daughter. But we shouldnt go after him becuase he had anything he wanted. We should go after him becuase he couldn't get past his own problems and see the damage he is causing to a harmless 2 year old child.

Crystal Mew
23rd January 2008, 11:14 PM
Hey now, lets not all be saying how much of a selfish little bastard he is for leaving his daughter cause he killed himself just yet...no one knows what really happened.

...when we find out that he did in fact kill him self, (or whatever) THEN we can say stuff like that :)

also, sure its easy for all of us common folk to say, "why should they ever want to kill themselves when they have everything they ever wanted and more!" but how would we know what its really like to be them. Obviously being famous kinda sucks because most all of them are druggies/alcoholics, and none of them really seem very happy. Money can't buy you happiness, thats for sure.

And even though his daughter will have to grow up without really knowing her real dad, and yes its sad...but I'm sure she wont have a horrible life. I had to grow up without a dad because he died when I was little, yeah shit happens. At least she'll probably have some inheritance money from him or something

Drusilla
23rd January 2008, 11:50 PM
I first heard about this because of a news blurb at the bottom of the screen last night when I was watching Wheel of Fortune (it was the only thing good on, and it was right before NCIS... which was a rerun again this week... -_-), and I was like, 'WTF, that's some sick joke...'; I didn't believe it was real. Neither did my dad.

Perhaps it was accidental. Perhaps it was intentional. Will we ever really know? Does it really matter, anyway? It sucks that, somewhere and somehow, something went wrong, and now one of the few young actors that I actually think had any real talent is dead. I hope that they leave The Dark Knight as is; I know that, should I have been in Ledger's situation, that's how I would have wanted it.

If it turns out to have been suicide, well... it sucks, and is one of the many products of our unhealthy society. Not much that can be done to change it within our lifetime, though...

Zak
24th January 2008, 01:31 AM
Suicide has been officially ruled out. It was most likely an acceident.

However, watch the crazy conspirators blame whoever replaces him as the joker for somehow murdering him.

Also I think it's kinda pathetic how in all RIP topics (not just here, anywhere on the internet) they get all these pointless trolls claiming shit like "wow I've never heard of him, so why should I care". Exactly. You shouldn't care, had I not known who he was it wouldn't be much of a difference. But hey, lets go tell the world how much we don't care! Must feel really cool about that, huh.

An even more pathetic arguement they sometimes resort to is "it's just one person". Your idol is also just one person, dude.

I've only seen Brokeback Mountain and probably one other movie with him (and I do watch a LOT of films in my free time) and barely know anything about him or any of his other work, but maybe I'll be a lot more badass if I announce to the world that I don't care.

...Pathetic.

Truth is, the only reason I have any interest in the topic at hand has nothing to do with him directly, but more the situation.

Also forgive my ignorance, but who the fuck is this "Amy Winehouse" that everyone keeps mentioning, lol seriously all over the internet on the subject of Heath I noticed people are saying "why couldn't it have been Britney or Lindsey Lohan or Amy Winehouse" I haven't even heard of her before then.

mr_pikachu
24th January 2008, 01:36 AM
Amy Winehouse is some musician who apparently has a lot of talent but has gotten into various kinds of trouble. Drinking, drugs, anorexia (I believe), singing while wasted, skipping so many concerts that bookies now take bets on her performances...

I should not know so much about her. Really.

Anyway. I'd never heard of Heath Ledger before seeing this topic (everyone in my class stared at me in disbelief when I told them that), but apparently he was a pretty big actor. So rest in peace, Heath.

Vejodi
24th January 2008, 10:31 PM
I saw Heath Ledger in Melbourne in about 2005 and spoke to him briefly, he was extremely nice.

Sucks. RIP.

Katie
24th January 2008, 11:46 PM
The reason everybody cares is the same reason he's famous. He's talented, and pretty. If it hadn't've (triple contraction?) happened future movies might've done better, who knows? He wasn't a waste of a life like a lot of celebrities so it's perfectly fine to mourn at least a little bit.

My bet is on accident; he was ill and took a couple different kinds of pills for different kinds of symptoms, and they just didn't mix. :(

Crystal Mew
25th January 2008, 02:06 AM
Yeah I'm guessing it was an accident too. He had pneumonia, and had trouble sleeping..I mean he was filming in london just days before.

All he wanted was some sleep. poor guy, I really feel bad for him.

Have you guys heard about that church thats going to picket his funeral? that just pisses me off beyond belief for some reason.

"Ok, so just because he was in brokeback mountain, lets picket a dead guys funeral to show how holier than thou we are!!!" give me an effing break :rolleyes:

Heald
25th January 2008, 07:55 AM
The Westboro Baptist Church aren't a church, per se, they're more of an extremist Christian group that have a beef with pretty much everyone on the planet. Just ignore them, they're just a bunch of bigots and racists.

Magmar
25th January 2008, 09:01 AM
They would consider me a fag and all my friends fag-enablers. For some reason, I kinda love that... fag enablers... haha.

Toxicity
25th January 2008, 05:30 PM
The Westboro Baptist Church aren't a church, per se, they're more of an extremist Christian group that have a beef with pretty much everyone on the planet. Just ignore them, they're just a bunch of bigots and racists.

This is why I regret only coming close to running over one of these guys last week.

Roy Karrde
25th January 2008, 05:32 PM
I am still waiting for some one to kill one of these guys. I mean seriously who would claim that they witnessed a Westboro nut being shot?

Bulbasaur4
25th January 2008, 06:01 PM
I'm happy that people started getting a little sensible towards the end of this topic, but the beginning made me quite angry.

Some of you should get off your high horse. :S You people make me sad. *shakes head* It's like we can't ever have a serious topic without one of you being a sarcastic prick.

In any case, I really enjoyed "A Knight's Tale" and it was a movie Nin and I loved. It's ashame that he died... and I feel incredibly sorry for his family. It's gotta be hard since it was so sudden.

Mystic_clown
25th January 2008, 06:59 PM

I don't think they're even a christian group. They just seem to hate everyone under the sun.

I am still waiting for some one to kill one of these guys. I mean seriously who would claim that they witnessed a Westboro nut being shot?

I'm surprised noone has.

Anyway, enough of the biggots, back to the real matter. It truly is a shame about Heath's death. When a good, talented person such as Heath dies, it's ok for people to mourne him and pay tribute to him. I'm with Crystal Mew when she says that Heath's death my have been an accident, since he did has pills for his pneumonia as well as different types of sleeping pills. It may have been the different sleeping pills that did him in, since his housekeeper found him sleeping at 1pm (she reported she heard him snoring) and was found dead at 2:30pm.

Rest in peace Heath Ledger. This world will miss you.

Toxicity
25th January 2008, 07:16 PM
"A Knight's Tale" was one of the best movies I've seen personally. And I still remember Heath from "10 Things I Hate About You" with Julia Stiles.

Accident, more than likely yes. The lack of sleep leading up to his death probably would have caused him to die then even without the pills.

mr_pikachu
25th January 2008, 11:11 PM
Will Marketing Change After Star's Death? (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB120113527501911813-9l_MMGuYQaO1PK3wkBPx7x1cRUs_20080222.html?mod=tff_ main_tff_top)

How do you think Warner Bros. will continue the project in light of Ledger's passing? Or can they continue without taking the risk of infuriating his fans?

Dark-San
26th January 2008, 02:38 AM
It has to be an accident. There is no way, an father of one daughter would commit suicide, leaving her behind in this cold and heartless world. I may be wrong here but then who am I to judge since I have no qualification to do it.

Either way from the looks of it, his death would only mean another loss of talent for Hollywood. Significantly, it has nothing to do with his role in Brokeback Mountain. Though it was the film that propels him into instant recognition, we should not just remember him only by that role. There should be other movie roles that he had undertaken that ought to be remembered.

I did clicked on Brian's linky with the presumption that it has something to do with Batman's next movie, The Dark Knight, and boy I was right on it.

For being a undergraduate majoring in Business Marketing, I would highly advised Warner Bros to continue on its current advertising tactics. But on top of it, you included in an additional campaign that commemorates Heath Ledger's lifetime achievements.

With this, it is kind of a strategy that kills two birds with one stone. Firstly, it is not logical to pull off Batman's regular advertising since there is already too much hype. You want a movie to be famous, you want it to be raking massive profits and you want the movie to be remembered as being one of the best films of the Batman merchandising history. So if you want to achieve it, why bother stopping the advertising?

Secondly, we could be riding on Heath Ledger's fame. So with his death, we could be looking at an unexpected increase in the movie sales, especially when we have possibility of sympathy viewers rushing to watch the movie. After all, The Dark Knight is the last film that Heath Ledger act in.

Of course, every campaign comes with a public backlash. The public would view Warner Bros as piggyback on Heath Ledger's death in order to increase their profits. So to deal with it, it is only natural that an additional campaign to be put in place to commemorate Heath Ledger and his contribute to the film industry.

And for extra caution, Warner Bros could look into another possibility of donating a part of their overseas profit to a certain anti- drug abuse- related charity.

Together with this two counter measures, Warner Bros could be seen as a company that goes well with the public and also could profit from the extra attention that Heath Ledger's death has on the movie.

Heald
26th January 2008, 05:27 AM
It seems all the reports of Heath's death seem to be pointing to accident rather than suicide, so I do retract what I previously said, although no matter what you do really, it still isn't a smart thing to wolf down a bottle of sleeping pills.

Crystal Mew
26th January 2008, 12:15 PM
No, maybe not. But authorities said all the bottles still had pills in, so its not like he took an entire bottle of sleeping pills. He had trouble sleeping, I think he took a little more cause one pill only kept him asleep for an hour or something.

This doctor on cnn said its highly unlikely for a grown man to OD on over the counter sleeping pills; unless it had tylenol in it.

it is a mystery. Hopefully a mystery that will be solved soon, I'm sure tons of people are anxious about the toxology reports and stuff.