PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Cellular Division

mr_pikachu
8th February 2008, 12:10 AM
No, this has nothing to do with your knowledge of basic biology. Let's talk about something far more interesting: cell phones!

GENERAL QUESTIONS

1. Do you have a cell phone?

2a. If "yes" to #1, what model and color is it?

2b. If "no" to #1, why not?

3. What do you think your cell phone (or lack thereof) says about you?

4. How often do you use your cell phone? For what purposes do you use it?

5. Are you planning to get a new cell phone any time soon?

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. Did you use the cell phone feature on the Pokegear in GSC? How much did you use it? For what did you use it?

7. Do you like the Match Call system in Emerald? And do you wish there had been some other equivalent of the cell phone in later games?

8. Why do you think that in the Pokemon world, where characters carry around and toss about super-advanced spheres capable of absorbing gigantic beasts into their tiny frames, nobody seems to have a simple cell phone?

And here are my answers...

GENERAL QUESTIONS

1. Yes. Why would I create a poll about cell phones if I didn't?

2a. It's an ancient, beat-to-heck dark blue Nokia.

3. It says, "This guy doesn't care about being trendy and probably doesn't use his cell phone very much, either." Also, "Does this battered brick actually work?"

4. I don't use it all that often for calls. Frankly, I probably play backgammon on it more. When you're sitting around waiting for an appointment or something, there's nothing better than trashing intermediate mode a few times.

5. When this one breaks, sure. Until then... why?

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

6. Yeah, I used it a fair amount. Most of the time it was for entertainment, although I got a little hardcore for awhile once I found out that your "friends" occasionally find elemental stones.

7. Match Call was decent, but it just wasn't the same. I really wish Gamefreak would bring the cell phone back. Maybe when they complete the fourth-gen trio...

8. I'm guessing everyone except Ash decides to pack a Psychic-type. Telepathy for the win, baby!

Drago
8th February 2008, 12:44 AM
Why yes, Brian. Yes, I do.

A Motorola V620. It's my sister's old phone, and I like it.

It isn't the newest thing going around, but it doesn't look very old, so it holds up pretty well. I guess it says, most of the features of the newest phones, only in an older package. Just like me.

All the time. I alternate time between two different places two hours away from each other, and I have a lot of duties between both, so someone's usually bugging me for one reason or another. I don't make many calls, but I do use it to store info on people (addresses, birthdays, photos if I can't remember their name; very handy features for someone like me who can't remember much)

Nope. This one does all the things I need (ie. makes and takes calls), and a lot more. This is only the second phone I've ever had, the first was a Nokia 3315 I got for Christmas '02. People who constantly buy new phones actually annoy me a fair bit.

6. Did you use the cell phone feature on the Pokegear in GSC? How much did you use it? For what did you use it?
I often called Parry, because I was his hero. I like having groupies. lol and calling people to see if they had anything for me. It sure was a useless little feature; 'Hey! I almost caught a Sentret! I was so close... Maybe I'll try harder next time. Well, that's all I have to say. Bye!'

7. Do you like the Match Call system in Emerald? And do you wish there had been some other equivalent of the cell phone in later games?
Yet to play Emerald; I've got a copy I've never played sitting around somewhere...

8. Why do you think that in the Pokemon world, where characters carry around and toss about super-advanced spheres capable of absorbing gigantic beasts into their tiny frames, nobody seems to have a simple cell phone?
Poor coverage due to an abundance of tiny townships with a minimum population of seven people, and a general disinterest due to the fact that you can ride your bicycle from one side of the country to the other in about twenty minutes. :heh:

Magmar
8th February 2008, 09:48 AM
Yeah

I don't know, it's red.

That I like cell phones that aren't fragile because I tend to drop them all the time.

Not so often and for texting during class.

Ehh I really don't care it's a fucking phone it's not like it's a haircut.

Blademaster
8th February 2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah.

2. If "yes" to #1, what model and color is it?
Silver-and-black Samsung. Cingular. I had to get up and walk five feet to check all that. Jerk.

"Don't talk to this stupid fuck. Do yourself and me a favor."

When someone calls me - which happens about once a month - I am forced to use it. I voluntarily use it much more often - as a paperweight and a fly swatter, mostly. Oh, and Tetris. Tetris owns.

Hell no. I have to talk to people enough as it is - why would I want anymore of you outsiders bothering me?

I used it when some nimrod called me and said he found a Berry or a Stone. I then would proceed to go beat him/her up and steal said Berry or Stone, then wait for another call. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Never played Emerald. Not going to, either. I've wasted enough money on these games: I'm still waiting for Pokemon Colloseum and Battle Revolution to do something fun.

Because Vonage only offers 97% global coverage. The Pokemon Islands lie on the last 3% of the planet. All they get is Comcast.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
8th February 2008, 01:32 PM
1.) Yes, I do, I'm only on my second one since 2000 though.

2a.) A black Nokia. I dunno the exacty model name.

3.) Unless you have a really rare one, like one with a real gold casing where I'd say you're rich, nothing at all. It's just a common tool, like a hammer or a car. Doesn't matter what it looks like, it just has to do its job. If you have an old one I'd say you like keeping things till they don't work anymore, which is good.

4.) Once a day to call someone or get a call in average.

5.) No cause I got a new one for Christmas after I had my old one for eight years. Ask again in the next decade.

6.) I barely remember it but I used everything the game had to offer. I remember I didn't use it often though.

7.) I don't have Emerald I'm afraid.

8.) Probably because writing a letter is more personal and the Pokémon World isn't that hectic that you can't live without calling someone or being called every five minutes.

Dark-San
8th February 2008, 01:50 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

1) Yes, I would be really very surprised if someone does not even possess one. My seven years old cousin has one, so I do not see anyway but mobile phone has definitely become a necessity.

Mine is a Nokia N70. It has this silverish colour and having a metallic frame. One of the reason which I found this phone kind of cool when I saw it for the first time.

Multipurpose and important, what else? I had modified with Nokia N70 by downloading several softwares into it. My N70 could now play GB roms, plays MP3 files, operate with a bluetooth headset, plays avi files, has office functions and takes pictures. Basically, my phone had become sort of a mini- laptop.

Even if I am doing a group assignment, I put in my every effort in performing to my optimum in every role I played. From gathering research, to reading up of materials to calculating budgets and to come out with a workable marketing plan. Hence, the characteristics of being multifunction! ^.^

This questions makes me off- guard for a moment since I am stuck into wondering what should I answer. There are days when I do not received a single call or message at all. And there are also days when I could easily make up to twenty calls and probably messaging around twelve people.

But if you are not referring to its communication function, I would use it to listen to my music since the phone has replaced my Creative MP3 player. At times I would play GB roms with it. But then recently it has become sort of redundant since I have my Nintendo DS. Often when I do not bring my laptop out, the office function comes to great use.

A yes! Recently, I have just recently upgraded my Internet modem to one of those that could support WIFI calls. Hence, I would be looking closely in the phone market comes this July when my current mobile plan is over. I would probably get a phone that supports the same functions as my current N70 but with the inclusion of the WIFI capability.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

Nope, did not use it even once. I find the feature bothersome, like when you are hunting for a certain pokemon in an area, this bastard would just call you and interrupt the process.

Nope, I do not possess any Emerald version. I played all the old generation Pokemon RPGs, played Ruby, skipped Sapphire and Emerald before moving into Pearl.

If the cell phone function has the ability to chat with your online battler, then maybe a yes. Other than that, I see no use of it.

The anime series was ridiculous to begin with. I was surprised that they kept the show running after so many seasons.

Other than that, I really have no comments to this question.

Oh and also, happy CNY to Brian!

midnightangel
8th February 2008, 02:33 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes I do ;)

Samsung SGH A707 red in color
Walmart had the red ones right away--and I needed a new cell phone.
Otherwise I could have waited for gray or blue phone in 3 days time *shrugs*

N/A--I have a cell phone

Honestly it says I'm one of the crowd--I know of several people that have the same phone in the same color.
But then again--it could mean I'm a leader of people. The others obtained the same cell phone after I did.
I know. hahaha :P

Calling for a ride (a co-worker), and the internet via the phone

No because I just got this one :P

Lady Vulpix
10th February 2008, 02:39 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes.

Samsung something. Do you really need the details? It's silver.

It says that I have a cellphone. It probably says that people can contact me through it. It may even mislead them into believing that sending me an SMS is a good idea. If they take a closer look at it, it may also let them know that I'm not interested in using cellphones as cameras. Someone who plays with it for a while may see who I've been keeping contact with and the text messages I've received in the last few years... and also that I have nothing in my phonebook, which probably shows that I'd rather rely on other means for knowing people's numbers.

About once a week, I think, for urgent telephone conversations. And sometimes to reply briefly to a text message, when I realize I got one.

No, only when this one stops working, which I hope isn't soon, or if it gets stolen, which I hope doesn't happen.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

Yes, I used it to get challenges from NPCs, in order to train my pokemon.

I don't know. I've never played Emerald. Yes, it would have been nice. It would have also been nice to have access to those games, but you need a GBA for that and it's not worth its price here.

But they do have them! The cellphones in GSC are proof of it. Is this a trick question?

Toxicity
10th February 2008, 02:47 PM
Yes.

Motorola Razr (original model); black

"She's a normal person that loves to shoop da whoop."

I use it primarily for calls, although my unfortunate lack of a watch also serves some reason for clock use. It's easier to stay in touch with friends on the same company making the calls free of charge.

Unless this phone happens to break, no.

Only in Crystal for the use of Berry or stone retrieval, although rematches helped from time to time. It was also used to redeem the Everstone special for hatching Togepi once or twice.

It's certain the GSC remake will bring it back, given there is one. But the Match Call system in Emerald was useless, in my opinion.

Because PedoUrsaring has yet to appear in a game.

Weasel Overlord
10th February 2008, 06:05 PM
Hell, I'm bored!

GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes, yes I do.

It be a Motorola Razr, matte black, flippy lovely and hurray! I quite like my phone.

That I am a Final Fantasy nut. It has a Tonberry charm dangling off it, my message tune is one from FFXII and my ring tone is the victory tune from FFVIII.

I use it to text people, mostly, cos I don't have much money to put credit on. I probably don't even use it every day, unless you count for my alarm clock.

I would like a new one, but then I look fondly at mine and think "naaaah".

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

Yeah, I did! Sometimes when I was bored, others to see if items had been picked up, or if Pokemon I wanted were swarming. Useful thing, that.

I loved that, too! It was really useful for getting more EXP than just in wild battles.

THEY'RE ALL CRAZY! No, honestly I have no idea. The creators probably thought it would be cooler to have all-in-one thingers. Those crazy Japanese.

Crystal Mew
10th February 2008, 11:56 PM
of course!

http://www.t-mobile.com/images/products/samsung_t629/250x270myfaves.jpg
it looks exactly like this

I dunno, its a pretty cool phone, so that must mean I'm PRETTY COOL TOO

I use it every day, I mainly txt message alot on it, and I always have it for phone calls. Not that I like talking on the phone much, but just in case

I kinda want the new sidekick lx, or sidekick slider, but we'll see

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

No to all of the above. Except #8. I watched one of the newer episodes with Misty in it (this was a long time ago, obviously) and she had a cell phone-type thing right? or was it pokegear. I really dont know lol. Why have a simple cell phone when you have POKE GEAR!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th February 2008, 03:05 AM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes.

An old black Nokia. It was ancient even when I got it from a friend in 2003.

I originally took it because I wanted to reach Maarit, my crush back at lukio. It didn't work, but I still have to use it for other connections. I don't know if I answered to your question here anyway.

Every other day for calls and text messages. Thank gods I have my Nintendo DS.

Perhaps.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

A few times. I just wanted to try.

Haven't played. And by the way, I don't like cell phones too much. I still have traumas because I never had a girlfriend.

Because Nokia still makes just boots for Team Rocket there.

AntiAsh Superstar
20th February 2008, 07:38 AM
1. I have a cell phone.

2. An O2 Ice model

3. 'This guy plays a lot of random games' if the amount of stuff I've downloaded for it is anything to go by. Doom RPG ftw! :3

4. Once or twice a day for texts or calls... maybe the odd few minutes a day to play games while I wait for my lift home.

5. Nah, as long as this one works why should I?

6. Occasionally just to do some rematches and get some info. Have to admit I cheated as to who I gave my number to tho.

7. Never really tried it.

8. Wait so we acknowledge the cell phone feature in GSC but then say nobody has a cell phone??? I'd guess in later versions it's just that the whole cell phone craze has been and gone and everyone's bored of it. The world does seem to put more emphasis on meeting people in person than we do.

Clark
20th February 2008, 10:36 AM
Yes.

Samsung A990, and HTC TyTN II, both are black.

Im the best.

I use it all the time. For calls, sms, mail, internet, msn, aim, youtube, tv, etc.

Nope.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

No

Sure, if i can talko0

Because they are inferior to the USA.

SupremeChampion
23rd February 2008, 09:33 AM
Yes, I am a proud owner of a cell phone.

The model is a LG 2000, colored silver.

haha i guess it can say a lot. if you have the newest phone, like an iPhone, i guess it can say you're a trendy, tech-oriented typed of person. if you have a phone that has an external battery pack that you need to carry around over your shoulder, i think it says you're a little off with the times.

often, mainly for texting and sometimes for calling.

actually, i am. my service agreement is up, and my battery is pretty bad these days, so i'm going to be getting a new one as soon as i save up some money.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

haha yea, on the occasion i did. mainly for battles, sometimes to get free stuff.

i've never played emerald, but i'm sure it's pretty cool.

thats a pretty darn good question lol. maybe because they spent all their time inventing pokéballs that they never got around to inventing cell phones. or maybe its just that they have no need for them, and that calling via landline is convenient enough for them.

~The Italian Stallion

Crazy Elf Boy
25th February 2008, 11:16 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes, I do own one

It is a silver Sharop GX15

It would say, "Stop throwing me around you silly bastard or I will just explode"

I am starting to use it alot more after I had finished school and mainly to text other people.

Not Really

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

I mainly used it in Silver to get the numbers of the people who told you were the rare pokemon appeared, eg Quilfish. And then for the last number was my groupie fan

Yes I do like the match call, cause fighting gym leaders again is good experience for your pokes especially when your bored. Also when your low on money the rich kids are goof when you got an amulet coin. I wish they did have a match call for everyone in the game for Leaf Green, Fire Red and Diamond and Pearl rather then that stupid VS seeker thingie.

Probably because in a world were there are animals that can defy gravity, breathe fire and water, throw things around the room just by thinking about it, fly you anywhere you want and towns spread apart by 5 minutes of walking distance who the hell needs a phone.

Zak
25th March 2008, 11:11 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

~Yes.

~Silver, LG.

~That I'm accessible. That's all.

I use it less often than I did when I was in Israel, I don't go out as much anymore. I just use it to call if I need a ride or whatever.

~Not unless this one breaks!

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

~Didn't use it.

~Never played Emerald.

~Officer Jenny does.

EDIT: Sorry if I look like I'm reviving a dead thread based on the date, but it WAS on the first page.

firepokemon
28th March 2008, 10:41 PM

Yes

2a.

It is a Sony Ericsson w800i. It is orange and white

I don't use it much, I hate talking on phones anyway and well its perfectly fine. I was a latecomer to cell phones I just don't really see the need for them.

Call my bf, call my family, text my brother, call my brother, talk occasionally to friends and others. We don't have a home phone here so I use it for everything else as well. But I hate phones.

Nah.

As for the pokemon questions. Well I don't play pokemon.

shazza
28th March 2008, 11:08 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes

Nokia 6260. It is silver and shit.

That I seriously need to change it and it dies every hour, like right now. :mad:

Everyday. I text lots.

Yes! :)

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

Yeah sometimes.

Never played it.

Because then it wouldn't be as interesting. Gary and Ash would not be surprised they have caught up as they have texted each other!

Jeff
7th April 2008, 01:25 PM
GENERAL QUESTIONS

Yes

Silver Razor

The fact that I don't use it much says that I'm not very social

See above. I always leave it off unless I need to call someone or if I know someone needs to call me.

Not soon.

POKEMONIZED QUESTIONS

I only called people on it when I was bored. Of course I always liked getting those calls in Crystal from people who found me a nice shiny evolution stone.

It's OK, I mostly liked it because of the nostalgia of having people call me like they did in GSC, even though that was the most annoying thing about GSC IMO.

Because when your Pokegear or Pokenav has one, why do you need a stand-alone cell phone?