PDA

View Full Version : Mario Kart Wii (now with spoilers! Even in a racing game...)

Drago
8th February 2008, 06:32 AM
Mario Kart Wii Friend Code Directory
Austrian ViceMaster Alex: 3351-4368-5881
DragoKnight: 3523-2392-3541

If there's any credibility to the rumours, this sucker will debut April 10th, I thought it was a good time to open the conversation onto that 'other online Nintendo game', Mario Kart Wii!

So far, we know that the game will come with the 'Wii Wheel', 12 racers will now be on the course in each race (which may sound weird to 16-year Kart veterans, eh?), and motorbikes will now take the track.

http://kotaku.com/353152/new-mario-kart-wii-images
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/849/849925p1.html

- online league and a global world ranking
- local rankings
- dedicated channel for online aspect
- send and receive time attack scores online, online ranking for time attack as well
- upload/download Ghosts
- play as Miis

Any excitement? Or do we have to wait for Brawl to come and go? On a related note, I played MK Arcade GP a couple days ago for the first time. Thinking myself to be quite the hero, I went straight to the hardest cup. On the plus side, I got fifth. On the negative side, there were only six racers.

Andrew
8th February 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm loving the idea of the motorbikes and none of this double person shit.

However, the shitty auxillery characters are coming back. HI IM DAISY. Ugh. Baby Marios. Ugh.

Make it stop!

PNT510
8th February 2008, 10:13 AM
I really find it hard to care about this game with taking out the second rider and with motion control for steering.

Blademaster
8th February 2008, 11:57 AM
I'm only posting here to bitch that the Galaxy thread didn't ever get responses this fast.

Heald
8th February 2008, 01:12 PM
I'm quite looking forward to this. Mario Kart has always been a solid game. I wonder how they're going to do the blue sparks this time round though, given the WiiWheel.

Also, will you be able to play just using normal controls or do you have to use motion sensor?

I doubt taking out the second driver will make much of a difference (it was really a gimmick in Double Dash!!; the only real difference it made was which special weapons you got and what weight class you were restricted to). I've also heard Baby Peach is being included. Shit. As long as they have the best character in, I'll be happy.

Of course, I'm talking about Waluigi.

I'm not too worried about the online aspect: I live away from home and I don't have a TV, so I only play Wii when I am at home, which is very little. Still, I hear it is going to be solid.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
8th February 2008, 01:22 PM
As long as there's a decent Rainbow Road (not like the one in Mario Kart 64) I'm happy with any kind of Mario Kart game. Though I wasn't too fond of the "two-men-on-a-kart" concept on the GameCube either. Good if that one's gone.

Drago
8th February 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm loving the idea of the motorbikes and none of this double person shit.

However, the shitty auxillery characters are coming back. HI IM DAISY. Ugh. Baby Marios. Ugh.

Make it stop!
HI I'M BABY PEACH. I thought they'd actually hit the rock bottom with R.O.B., and frankly I still think that's as low as they could've gone. As far as they have my Koopa Troopa, I'm fine. Seriously, they could have baby Wario for all I care (oh lord I forgot, that character already exists)...

I really find it hard to care about this game with taking out the second rider and with motion control for steering.

Also, will you be able to play just using normal controls or do you have to use motion sensor?
Call me an idiot for, as always, omitting something, and I don't take credit for spotting this, but... in the online menu third down on the right (http://img18.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=94389_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001c_122_104 8lo.jpg), you can see the A and B buttons. Possibility of multiple control schemes? Though it feels like Nintendo is almost apologising for the motion sensor, I see multiple schemes as being a better idea; I would have enjoyed games like Star Fox Command a lot more if the gimmick hadn't been forced down my throat.

Also, I wonder if someone smarter than me could help me out with something; how hard is it to implement a two-player per kart system? It was a very unpopular decision in Double Dash, so it got the chop as soon as MKDS hit, but would it be very difficult to have it as an alternative mode? I have little faith that's ever going to happen, but you know, it'd be a nice option, eh?

I'm only posting here to bitch that the Galaxy thread didn't ever get responses this fast.
TPMers dig multiplayer? I guess the hype comes with screenshots; the Star Fox Assault topic didn't pick up until screenshots came into play, then we could bitch about everything from the generic-looking enemies to Falco's horrible bodysuit.

Of course, I'm talking about Waluigi.

I'm not too worried about the online aspect: I live away from home and I don't have a TV, so I only play Wii when I am at home, which is very little. Still, I hear it is going to be solid.
There is absolutely no way they'll have Baby Peach and no Waluigi. If they did, it would be just to spite us all. I reckon the increase in racers has opened the floodgates for a lot of hopeful character options that were always left out on a smaller roster; Kamek, I'm looking at you to finally take that position that should've been yours all those years ago.

And online sounds like it'll be about the best effort Nintendo has put forth, certainly better than Brawl (though the latter makes up for it by being friggin' BRAWL).

As long as there's a decent Rainbow Road (not like the one in Mario Kart 64) I'm happy with any kind of Mario Kart game.
Back in MKDS, when Retro Cup was revealed to be a combination of older games' tracks, I called a Rainbow Cup as being the ultimate last challenge, with nothing but Rainbow Roads from previous games. ...I'm still hoping for that one.

Also, I hope they correct one big flaw from MKDS; every character using every kart. Once you've unlocked that option, did the character you choose have any influence on the stats at all? Because it appeared to me as though the character was irrelevant, it was all about the stats of the kart.

AntiAsh Superstar
10th February 2008, 06:39 PM
I'm thinking... ooh, no second rider, re-adding the hopping, if they have any sense at all they'll have numerous control schemes to accomodate both the Wii novice and the MK veteran as well. Haven't seen a Mario Kart game that improved on the N64 version up until now so looking forward to this one, hopefully it can be to Mario Kart 64 what Mario Galaxy was to Super Mario 64. :)

Heald
10th February 2008, 07:01 PM
I actually quite liked MK: DD. At least the harder cups at harder speeds were actually hard. MK64 was one of the easiest games I've ever played. Oh no, not Special Cup on Extra speed! Oops, beat the next closest racer by at least 10 seconds every time!

Blademaster
11th February 2008, 03:59 PM
...What? You MUST have been cheating.

That, or I just suck at a Mario game, which I assure you is quite impossible.

Heald
12th February 2008, 08:17 AM
I'd actually say that Mario Kart 64 was one of the easiest games I've ever played.

Starry Might
13th February 2008, 02:28 PM
If there's any credibility to the rumours, this sucker will debut April 10th, I thought it was a good time to open the conversation onto that 'other online Nintendo game', Mario Kart Wii!
That release date is for Japan, according to the Kotaku link in your original post.

Any excitement? Or do we have to wait for Brawl to come and go?
"SSBB" is my most-wanted Wii game, but I liked "Mario Kart 64", "Mario Kart: Double Dash!!" and "Mario Kart DS", so this is one of many other games that'll go into my future Wii collection, too (assuming I can ever FIND one of those stupid things...SHORTAGES STINK!! :().

On a related note, I played MK Arcade GP a couple days ago for the first time. Thinking myself to be quite the hero, I went straight to the hardest cup. On the plus side, I got fifth. On the negative side, there were only six racers.
LOL, yikes.

I've seen that game in the arcade in my local mall, but I've never played it.

Heald
13th February 2008, 02:46 PM
Wait, you've been raving about SSBB all this time and you don't have a Wii.

You've probably mentioned this about a million times, but I blame the whiskey personally.

Also, do you ever show your dad the stuff we post here? Although, considering he's Superman, he seems to know everything before we do.

Starry Might
14th February 2008, 02:26 PM
Call me an idiot for, as always, omitting something, and I don't take credit for spotting this, but... in the online menu third down on the right (http://img18.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=94389_Mario_Kart_Wii_F1001c_122_104 8lo.jpg), you can see the A and B buttons. Possibility of multiple control schemes? Though it feels like Nintendo is almost apologising for the motion sensor, I see multiple schemes as being a better idea; I would have enjoyed games like Star Fox Command a lot more if the gimmick hadn't been forced down my throat.
Ehhhh...your link in this post takes me to a picture of a woman and a man who look like figure skaters. :confused:

Also, this is off-topic, but about "Star Fox Command"...you're talking about flying with the stylus, right?

I have that game, and I thought that was really cool once you got used to it! :D (That was in the training mode, though...I tried the single-player, and was almost immediately turned off by its "Draw-Your-Flightpath-Beforehand" gameplay. :notfunny:)

Wait, you've been raving about SSBB all this time and you don't have a Wii.

You've probably mentioned this about a million times, but I blame the whiskey personally.
:notfunny:

Also, do you ever show your dad the stuff we post here? Although, considering he's Superman, he seems to know everything before we do.
:lol:

Yeah, I have. :)

AntiAsh Superstar
5th March 2008, 02:06 PM
Okay, the more I hear about this the more excited I get. Using Miis as characters and actually having numerous control systems so those of use who prefer using an analog stick to steer can (as far as I'm aware five control systems have been confirmed now)? Basically I'm now at the stage whereby I think this could very well equal MK64 and you can bet your life I'm grabbing this. :D

Drago
5th March 2008, 07:37 PM
NOE have revealed a couple details about how online will work... Nothing too groundbreaking, but it's interesting when there's nothing else around.

Going global with Mario Kart Wii (http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2007/going_global_with_mario_kart_wii__7448.html)
In Mario Kart Wii you can go online via Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection by yourself or together with a friend playing on the same Wii console, and let the games begin! You can directly jump into online races with random players Worldwide, or opt for Continental if you prefer a challenge closer to home.

Then you will be placed in a new group of people looking for a match, or you will join an existing group. When the latter happens you will become a spectator of that group’s race currently in progress, as you wait for your turn to hit the track. With up to 12 players being able to battle or race on the circuits of the Mushroom Kingdom simultaneously, Mario Kart Wii is set to provide the biggest challenge in the series to date!

After swapping Friend Codes with other players, you will also be able to see how many of your mates are online, and choose to Create a Room or select Join Friend to gather in a room with your friends before you start your engines.

Once inside a room, the globe familiar from the Forecast Channel will highlight the location of all players present. This is where you can text chat with your friends by making a selection from dozens of predefined messages, letting you suggest exactly which kind of race you want to play: from Battle to Grand Prix, and from Team play to your circuit of choice. The Host then decides the race settings, but the track selection is based on the votes of all players combined.

Mario Kart Wii also allows you to install the Mario Kart Channel on your Wii console. This Channel lets you check up on a host of options without the need of inserting the Mario Kart Wii disc into your system.

The Ranking option lets you see your statistics for each track and compare your results to those of your Friends and other players worldwide, represented by their Miis. You’ll have the option of racing against the Ghosts of the best players, or improving your results gradually by taking on the Ghosts of rivals whose times are only slightly better than yours. Players can choose whether they want to share their Time Trial Ghosts with the rest of the world, allowing you to match your skills against the cream of the crop whenever you want.

Another all-new feature of this Channel are the Competitions, where Nintendo will on a regular basis invite players to speedy challenges similar to the Missions of Mario Kart DS. The Channel also allows you to check your ranking in running Competitions as well as Time Trials. You can also go here to register Friends and see if any of them are currently online.

Really does sound like they're trying with online this time, eh?
By the way, IGN's got gameplay footage up, which completely confirms that, better than in a blurry screenshot, Koopa Troopa is back. With such a big roster it was pretty much a given, but it's nice to know for sure.

PNT510
5th March 2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah they're trying to go online by copying stuff that other companies did year ago and by still using friends codes!

Drago
6th March 2008, 06:42 AM
By Nintendo standards, that's SOLID GOLD and better than we're getting with Brawl. I learnt a long time ago not to expect much from Nintendo's online services.

EDIT: I wasn't sure if there was a gold colour, so I just tried it. Apparently there is. Yay!

Blademaster
6th March 2008, 02:21 PM
I hope this game's online is better than the online I get with Budokai Tenkaichi 3. :sweat:

Starry Might
6th March 2008, 02:37 PM
Okay, the more I hear about this the more excited I get. Using Miis as characters and actually having numerous control systems so those of use who prefer using an analog stick to steer can (as far as I'm aware five control systems have been confirmed now)? Basically I'm now at the stage whereby I think this could very well equal MK64 and you can bet your life I'm grabbing this. :D
WHOA, MIIS CAN PARTICIPATE IN RACES?! :eek:

[Napoleon Dynamite]Flippin' sweet![/Napoleon Dynamite]

Starry Might
8th March 2008, 03:04 PM
http://www.undergroundnotes.com/wkett/starrymightspics/bump.gif

Sorry for the "Bump!", but I just got the latest "Nintendo Power" in the mail earlier, and they have a big article on "Mario Kart Wii"! I'll summarize the stuff in it here as best I can.

Shown Tracks (16 out of 32):

Mushroom Cup:

* Luigi Circuit
* Moo Moo Meadows
* Mushroom Gorge
* Toad's Factory

Flower Cup:
* Mario Circuit
* Coconut Mall (one of the tracks is a mall? GAME OF THE YEAR! :lol: ;))
* DK Summit (it's snowy)
* Wario's Gold Mine

Shell Cup:
* GCN Peach Beach ("Mario Kart Double Dash!!" track; the pipe launch near the start is gone, but the shortcut can be reached by a boost ramp after the first turn)
* DS Yoshi Falls ("Mario Kart DS" track)
* SNES Ghost Valley 2 ("Super Mario Kart" track)
* N64 Mario Raceway ("Mario Kart 64" track)

Banana Cup:
* N64 Sherbet Land ("Mario Kart 64" track)
* GBA Shy Guy Beach ("Mario Kart Super Circuit" track)
* DS Delfino Square ("Mario Kart DS" track)
* GCN Waluigi Stadium ("Mario Kart Double Dash!!" track; now with half-pipe boost pads!)

Battle Mode Stages:
* Block Plaza
* Delfino Pier
* Funky Stadium
* Chain Chomp Wheel
* Thwomp Desert
* SNES Battle Course 4 ("Super Mario Kart" stage)
* GBA Battle Course 3 ("Mario Kart Super Circuit" stage)
* N64 Skyscraper ("Mario Kart 64" stage)
* GCN Cookie Land ("Mario Kart Double Dash!!" stage)
* DS Twilight House ("Mario Kart DS" stage)

Characters
* Baby Mario
* Baby Peach
* Bowser
* Donkey Kong
* Koopa Troopa
* Luigi
* Mario
* Peach
* Toad
* Waluigi (*CUE THE SOUND OF HEALD REJOICING IN THE BACKGROUND*)
* Wario
* Yoshi

There are 6 hidden characters, and apparently, you have the unlock the ability to play as a Mii.

Vehicles:

There are karts and bikes (but you already knew that ;)).

50cc class only allows karts, 100cc class only allows bikes, and 150cc allows both (at least at first...).

Karts can get two-stage Mini-turbos. Bikes only get one stage Mini-turbos, but can pop wheelies to go faster (obviously, this is best done on straightaways).

Karts and bikes are rated in the following categories: Speed, Weight, Acceleration, Handling, Top Speed, and Mini-Turbo (the Items category in "Mario Kart DS" no longer exists). There are four kart and four bikes per class (Small, Medium, and Large). There are 12 karts and 12 bikes (24 vehicles) total; each class has one hidden kart and one hidden bike.

All Items:
* Green Shell
* Triple Green Shells
* Red Shell
* Triple Red Shells
* Spiny Shell
* Mushroom
* Triple Mushroom
* Golden Mushroom
* Mega Musroom (NEW; makes you giant)
* Lightning
* Lightning Cloud (NEW; speeds you up for awhile, but shrinks you; you can pass on the shrinkage to another racer by bumping into them before it's too late)
* Banana
* Triple Bananas
* Blooper
* Bob-omb
* POW Block (NEW; all other vehicles come to a screeching halt after a quick warning)
* Star
* Fake Item Box
* Boo
* Bullet Bill

Game Modes:
* Grand Prix (1-2 players)
* Battle (1-4 players)
* Time Trials (online players can challenge each other's ghost data)
* Vs. (2-4 players)

Battle has two modes: Balloon Battle (classic battle mode) and Coin Runners (coin collecting game). Two six-player teams square off in both modes, and CPUs will fill spots unoccupied by human players. Dropped items don't hurt teammates. In Balloon Battle, you're no longer eliminated from the fight if all three of your balloons pop; you'll respawn. Both modes have time limits.

"Mario Kart DS's" Mission mode is gone.

Controls:

Here's a list of what the buttons do:

2 Button: Accelerate
1 Button: Hop/drift/reverse
A Button: Look behind you
B Button: Same as 1 Button
D-Pad Up: Throw item in front of you
D-Pad Down: Drop item behind you
+ Button: Pause
Speaker: Plays an alarm if a shot item is coming up behind you; also plays sounds for hops and tricks

Pressing left or right on the D-Pad lets you hold an item (e.g. a banana) behind you to protect you from attacks.

"NP" really liked the Wii Wheel that comes with the game. It takes a little bit to become acclimated (they recommend small movements for steering), but it doesn't take very long at all. The wheel is only a little wider than a sideways Wiimote. You squeeze the Wiimote into the middle of it, and you pop it back out by pushing a finger through a large hole on the wheel's back (incidentally, the Wiimote's wrist strap goes through here). The wheel has a small opening on the side so the pointer isn't obstructed. There's a B button on the back of the wheel and it presses the Wiimote's B button (they say it's large, easy to reach, and feels soft).

Drifting is a little trickier this time around. Verbatim quote: "One of the first things that everyone here at NP noticed is that, initially, it's much easier to begin drifting in the wrong direction. You have to take a moment to make sure that your kart is pointing into the slide before you press the button to hop into a drift. It takes very little time to get the hang of this change; it's only worth mentioning since we suspect everyone will encounter this when they first play the game."

Speaking of drifting, there's now an Automatic Drift option. You'll automatically drift around sharp turns, but you don't earn Mini-turbos and you can't hop.

Both stages of Mini-turbos can now be executed by simply holding a drift regardless of which way you're steering (sharper turns will charge 'em faster). Mini-turbos are also earned by hitting the gas as soon as you hit the road after a fall, and by doing mid-air tricks.

Some of the tricks are small jumps, wheelies, half pipe jumps, medium jumps, and big jumps.

Drafting (following someone very closely to gain speed) is back.

Misc.:

Verbatim quote: "All extra vehicles and characters (plus staff ghosts) are prizes for winning Grand Prix cups."

The timing for the turbo start is the same as "Mario Kart DS": hit the gas right after the number "2" count.
Phew! That was a lot of typing... (*COLLAPSES*)

Heald
8th March 2008, 03:14 PM
* Waluigi (*CUE THE SOUND OF HEALD REJOICING IN THE BACKGROUND*)

Rock on.

Also, my Terrance and Phillip Miis can be playable now, meaning Terrance and Phillip get to race in a karting video game for the first time since South Park Rally. Woo.

Starry Might
10th March 2008, 02:16 PM
Rock on.
I knew you'd love that. :D

Also, my Terrance and Phillip Miis can be playable now, meaning Terrance and Phillip get to race in a karting video game for the first time since South Park Rally. Woo.
:lol:

Drago
12th March 2008, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the update! So many things to discuss there, but there are two things that stick out in my mind...

Battle mode without N64's Block Fort? Risky business, let's hope "Block Plaza" can fill that void...

Am I the only one who thinks 18 characters is a little slim? I know, by MK standards it's big, but with online and extra racers on the track, I would have expected a more fleshed out roster, especially when they're letting in rejects like Baby Peach. Oh well. I've got my Koopa, I've got everything I need.

Drago
26th March 2008, 06:39 PM
Eurogamer review our little Mario Kart Wii...
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=95123

8/10. Nothing too groundbreaking in there, but at least we have a confirmation on what we all suspected; a solid little title and a worthy entry into the series. Day one, I assume?

PNT510
2nd April 2008, 02:58 PM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167210

Looks like the gamecube and classic controllers might be gimped.

Blademaster
2nd April 2008, 04:33 PM
The last poster in that article (Bong Johnson or something...) is a complete and utter douchebag. He's basically saying that he's willing to convert from a Nintendo fanboy to a PS3 fanboy over this. Grow the fuck up.

My response to people who complain about this and who bought a Wii: You bought a WII. Not GameCube: The Sequel. The Gamecube controller is for GAMECUBE games, and the Classic Controller is for CLASSIC games - SNES and N64 titles that the Wiimote itself can't handle. Adapt to the Wiimote and/or the Wiimote/Nunchuk like you adapted to the controllers of the last 4 Nintendo consoles and stop bitching about something everyone else who plays this game is gonna have to learn to.

Heald
2nd April 2008, 06:54 PM
The Motion Features are the reason why the Wii are leaving the PS3 and the XBox 360 eating its dust. I didn't buy the Wii so I could play Mario Kart Wii with a Gamecube Controller, I bought it to have a completely different gaming experience. That idiot who said he would now buy a PS3 because of it, I'm glad he is buying a complete piece of shit console, because he obviously doesn't have the brain capacity to comprehend why the Wii has revolutionized gaming, whereas the PS3 and XBox 360 are just doing the same things my PC could have done 3 years ago.

Hell, the Wii is a multiplayer console. I started out with 2 Wiimotes and 1 Nunchuk, and now I have 4 of each, because all of my friends and family are begging to have a go. I have 2 Gamecube controllers, which I occasionally use for Gamecube games and Virtual Console games, but if people were willing to buy 4 controllers and play Double Dash!!, and now not willing to pay to play 4 players MK Wii, then they're just spoiled brats. Fuck 'em.

Blademaster
3rd April 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I mean, what if Mario Kart Wii didn't have 'Cube or CC controller compatability to begin with? You'd have to use the Wiimote or the Wii-chuk combo anyway, so why bitch about it?

I think stripping certain features off the GC and the CC is a good idea - it acts as an INCENTIVE to use the stuff that came WITH the system.

PNT510
4th April 2008, 11:33 AM
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this. I mean, what if Mario Kart Wii didn't have 'Cube or CC controller compatability to begin with? You'd have to use the Wiimote or the Wii-chuk combo anyway, so why bitch about it?
I doubt I'd buy the game at all if it was just Wii-mote controls. Racing games that use the Wii-Mote for steering sloppy at best.

Although I personally don't think gimping the classic controllers and gamecube controllers is a bad idea. They're obviously going to be more precise than a Wii-mote giving standard controller users an advantage. So you make it to where people who use normal controllers can't do all the special moves or whatever to balance it out.

Drago
4th April 2008, 10:30 PM
I think stripping certain features off the GC and the CC is a good idea - it acts as an INCENTIVE to use the stuff that came WITH the system.
I'm kinda mixed about this... Yes, I realise that ignoring the Wii's main thing is dumb, but that doesn't necessarily mean it should be shoved down everyone's throats. I bring up Star Fox Command as my primary example. I really, really hated the control scheme there. It was almost as though they were using it just because it was possible, and it really limited that game in my eyes.
I realise the solution would then be to fix the inadequate controls, but if it's potentially going to cut into your sales to exclude alternatives, it would not be a wise option.

Drago
9th April 2008, 07:42 AM
The final 24-character roster revealed. Far more WTF than one man could possibly fathom.

http://lh4.google.com/gohanrice/R_xJazEo-eI/AAAAAAAAANk/McpakxjovN4/DSC08998.JPG?imgmax=512
Yes they've done it. HI I'M BABY DAISY.
And yessir, that is indeed Dry Bowser.
But Funky! At least Funky!
But Rosalina. Peach v.02.
...Ah hell I don't even know anymore.

Starry Might
9th April 2008, 02:36 PM
The final 24-character roster revealed. Far more WTF than one man could possibly fathom.

http://lh4.google.com/gohanrice/R_xJazEo-eI/AAAAAAAAANk/McpakxjovN4/DSC08998.JPG?imgmax=512
Yes they've done it. HI I'M BABY DAISY.
And yessir, that is indeed Dry Bowser.
But Funky! At least Funky!
But Rosalina. Peach v.02.
...Ah hell I don't even know anymore.
WOW.

Cool. :)

Heald
9th April 2008, 03:13 PM
So for anyone who doesn't want to look at them all...

Baby Daisy
Baby Mario
Baby Luigi
Baby Peach
Birdo
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dry Bones
Dry Bowser
Funky Kong
King Boo
Koopa Troopa
Luigi
Mario
Mii
Peach
Rosalina
Toad
Toadette
WAΓUIGI
Wario
Yoshi

Funky Kong was an unseen addition, so thank God there is at least 1 decent new character...Dry Bowser is pretty cool, I've never really liked regular Bowser.

Blademaster
10th April 2008, 03:47 PM

Baby Daisy.
Rosalina.
Dry Bowser.
FUNKY KONG.

WHAT. THE. FUCK!?!??!?!?! :o

Heald
10th April 2008, 04:03 PM
To be honest, there aren't many more characters they can stuff into these, unless they start adding in Wart, Pidgit, Toadsworth, one of those Delfino assholes from that shitty Mario game, or even Weegee (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Weegee).

Blademaster
10th April 2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, but come on! FUNKY KONG?!? Rosalina I can accept as she was a mainstream character (and hence, a fair target :sweat:), Baby Daisy I'll TOLERATE if only to give Baby Peach a partner, but FUCKY KONG? This is MARIO Kart Wii, not Diddy Kong Racing Wii!

And Dry Bowser... Great idea, Nintendo. Put the most HATED creature in the history of Super Mario Bros. into your next Kart game. Top notch.

I'll digress, though... The roster IS pretty good, but one thing that kinda bothers me is the lack of balance for some characters: King Boo and Koopa Troopa lost their partners. Petey may be annoying as Hell, but I'll gladly take him over Dry Bowser or Funky Kong. And Koopa Troopa... Well, his 'partner' was the Paratroopa. That kinda sucked, but come on... Why not give him a Goomba for a partner? So what if the little guy has no arms - that doesn't stop him from playing baseball!

Heald
11th April 2008, 05:24 AM
I like Funky Kong! Possibly because of his awesomeness in DK64...or perhaps because he had an awesome Jamaican accent in the ill-fated Donkey Kong TV series.

Whatever you say, the Dk and Mario universes seem to be inextricably intertwined, so it is no surprise they added another Kong. Maybe we'll get Candy, Dixie or Kranky in the next one.

Baby Daisy and Baby Peach are a terrible idea, not only for the terrible concept, but also...4chan. And Rule 34. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, Rule 34 has probably already been invoked on these two abominations. And no, I am not going to look myself.

I'd reckon Paratroopa was taken out to make way for Dry Bones, since I imagine Dry Bones and Koopa Troopa have different stats, whereas Koopa and Para were more or less the same in MKDD.

Also, they have taken out the partner idea, so there is no need for partners like in MKDD.

I haven't played Galaxy yet so I care little for Rosalina. And I'd take Dry Bowser over Petey any day.

Drago
11th April 2008, 06:34 PM
I don't like Petey, but his exclusion really leaves me scratching my head. He had made pretty much every roster before this; he was starting to find his way into the 'usual suspects'. Now he gets a snub in pretty much the premier Mario sports franchise, and in favour of who? Rosa-f'in-lina? Look, I really wouldn't be fussed under certain circumstances. Rosalina is an interesting character... but the fact that she looks like just another Peach is what really irks me. If she had a different personality you coulda just called her Wapeach.

And honestly, who wouldn't prefer to see a Goomba behind the wheel? They're Mario mainstays, even if they get no love, even moreso than my beloved Koopa. They're far more important to the series than BABY DAISY, I assure you. I really don't know why I care considering I have my character, but it's just one of the most ecclectic rosters one could come up with.

AntiAsh Superstar
18th April 2008, 02:22 PM
Maybe they axed Petey on account of the fact that he was awful to play as? Perhaps I was just doing it wrong but I always found his HUGE head a serious hinderance in Double Dash as it always seemed to block my view about as much as the Blooper powerup in MKWii and MKDS.

Aaanyway. Am enjoying MKWii a lot. The inclusion of the 'classic' cups as seem in MKDS is very welcome and the twelve player racing makes it insanely and awesomely chaotic at times. And while some sites complain the online is glitched I haven't noticed that enough for it to detract from the gameplay.

Drago
24th April 2008, 09:50 PM
I reckon you're right about Petey's noggin AVMA, it truly is an unwieldy thing, and you can't exactly reduce the size of it without removing the very Petey-ness of Petey.
Anyhow, bought it today and jeepers it's fun. Just finished all of 50cc; being something of a MK whiz I thought I'd be smart after clearing mushroom cup to try my hand at flower cup 100cc. And I sure suffered for that mistake. Using a wheel I was still getting to grips with, the feeling completely changed by a vehicle I hadn't tried yet, on tracks I'd never even seen before... Not pretty stuff. Ended up ranking 6th, which is pretty much laughable.

Haven't had a chance to try out much else... the online rankings is about as grand as I could have hoped for, I have no complaints with it whatsoever. Shows your ranking in relation to everyone else in your friends list/continent/planet, then allows you to try racing someone slightly better than you, a staff ghost or the #1 time. I learnt about the tracks pretty quickly by taking on those #1 times, I tell you.
Still yet to try out battle mode (or all-team mode, as I spitefully call it) or online... those will be for tonight, assuming I can squeeze all that in before work. ...Me... work... when there's Mario Kart to be done? Blasphemy!!

Incidentally, the way they've inserted Miis into the background is your usual stuff, except for Coconut Mall, where it's one of the funniest things I've seen so far on Wii, with Miis' faces up on posters and Miis poorly trying to park cars in your path in the parking lot. It's hilarious crashing into one of your mate's Miis as it grins at you dopily. Fantastic stuff there.

Drago
26th April 2008, 09:42 PM
Had a thorough online session today, and wow... I swore at the television more then than I'd sworn all year. It's remarkable how bad you can get screwed over in the course of a couple seconds. I'm talking getting hit by a Spiny Shell, Mega Mushroom and Bullet Bill all in the blink of an eye.

Look I'm all for random items, but the fact that you can go right from first to last on the last bend through no fault of your own irks me. Additionally, whenever I was in the back, all I got were Mushrooms. Like all the time (exaggeration, but not too far off), it was nuts.

Was fun though. There was this one Rosalina user called Andromeda who was just destroying everyone. Me and a Macca fella were pretty much just fighting for second each time. Another guy called Rick seemed to have the most awesome last lap luck. It's just really cool for all these other racers to finally have someone behind them, wanting to win, using whatever dirty tricks they can...

3523-2392-3541 for anyone who wants me to swear at them.

Starry Might
28th April 2008, 02:14 PM
I got this game yesterday morning at Super Wal-Mart, and it's great! Nintendo has done it again!

So far, I've cleared all the regular cups and two of the retro cups at 50cc with Peach.

Incidentally, the way they've inserted Miis into the background is your usual stuff, except for Coconut Mall, where it's one of the funniest things I've seen so far on Wii, with Miis' faces up on posters and Miis poorly trying to park cars in your path in the parking lot. It's hilarious crashing into one of your mate's Miis as it grins at you dopily. Fantastic stuff there.
I like that track a lot (mainly because I love shopping malls in general), and I think you're right! I think that the Miis in the background are the ones you've got. (I think my Dad's personal Mii was a model in a poster at the Coconut Mall, for one thing :D).

Jeff
1st May 2008, 07:42 AM
The Miis in the cars are the most frustrating thing ever! I lost a race because of one of them once! And it was my brother's Mii too, I actually turned to him and yelled at him for it.:P

Other than that, I really like this one. Battle mode is just as great as it was in MK64, I kind of miss 64's death match, but the team-based thing is cool too.

Clark
1st May 2008, 09:48 AM
got this yesterday...have only played a few matches online and a couple single player cups..
msg my aim for my wii code, too lazy to look now, but if you do wish to get beat, let me know and we can arrange it.

Starry Might
1st May 2008, 02:20 PM
Me again. I've cleared the regular 100cc cups, and that was no easy task, partly because of the cheap AI (anyone else agree on this?) and partly because bikes are harder than karts.

Once I tried the Sugarscoot (the scooter) on the regular cups after the first one, I had much better luck (I had a horrible time with Rainbow Road, though!), and I unlocked some new stuff, including Mii Outfit A! Now I can play as my personal Mii!

Unfortunately, I lost the first retro cup, finishing 5th overall. I'm thinking that maybe if I go back to the faster Standard Bike M, I might fare better.

Oh, and during my 100cc regular cup endeavor, I had the most awesome 1st place finish to date on Grumble Mountain. Why?

On the last lap in the last leg of the track, I was in second and threw a Red Shell, and guess what? It hit Bowser (who was in first place), stopping him RIGHT BEFORE THE FINISH LINE. I went past him and won! :lol: :dance: (Oooh, I bet he was FURIOUS, especially since I was Peach!)

I even took a picture of the replay as proof (BTW, pity you can't save replays, huh?). Anyone interested in seeing it? :D

Drago
2nd May 2008, 10:29 PM
Though I had initially convinced myself I would stick with Karts, I think I'm rapidly becoming a bike man. I can't stand waiting for the gimped powerslide (not a whole lot of turns wide enough for you to get the full boost) and just sweeping about with those tight turns and popping a wheelie on the straights is satisfying as all high hell. Koopa Troopa + Bullet Bike = where it's at.

We seriously need more than 5(?) TPMers playing this game. I want full-scale tourneys, people! Start hassling others. :P

Blademaster
3rd May 2008, 08:07 AM
We seriously need more than 5(?) TPMers playing this game.

-AntiAsh
-DragoKnight
-Starry
-Jeff
-ACE
-Blademaster

Heald
3rd May 2008, 08:26 AM
I'll buy it when I move back to my house which has my Wii in it.

Clark
3rd May 2008, 08:53 AM
maybe we can get a tpm race going sometime. pretty sure you can set up a race just between friends...so yea. lemme know! i havent won online yet..just started the 100cc on 1player and its kicking my ass. so yea lol

Blademaster
3rd May 2008, 09:02 AM
I'm actually doing pretty well online. This is a pleasant surprise for me considering how often I'd lose in Mario Kart DS. Cheap snaking bastards...

Jeff
3rd May 2008, 11:07 PM
I recently cleared 100cc too, although I still have one silver and one bronze to replace there. I'd be working on that right now, and 150cc, but instead I get to sit here and listen to my brother yell at the TV and learn the hard way that evil is blue, has spikes, and it flies.;)

Clark
4th May 2008, 02:36 AM
UGH those powerups against you BLOW. i swear 10 things hit you as soon as your 5 feet from the finish EVERY time.

Blademaster
4th May 2008, 06:37 AM
OK, I've just finished clearing the eight Cups on 50cc and 100cc, and as such have unlocked King Boo, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Dry Bones, and Mii (Who sounds as similar to me as he looks similar to me, which is fucking SCARY.), as well as a few random Bikes and Karts. Thus far, here's what I have to say:

The Bad: First and foremost, as much as I hate to sound like... well, like a modern gamer... THE GRAPHICS ARE SHIT. Absolute shit. For the Wii, and compared to Brawl and Galaxy, these blocky 3-D character models and track accessories and 2-D fences and flags and whatnot... This game has graphics that look like they're from 5 years ago, as far as I can tell. I honestly think the GameCube could've pulled this off.

Next, a good chunk of the race tracks in the main Cups are kinda 'blah' to me. Specifically, the Mushroom Cup was mostly a letdown - those first two tracks weren't that fun in Mario Kart 64, and they aren't fun now. Same with Mario Circuit. Yeah, it's a staple, but it's a BORING staple.

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks at least a couple of stages are copies of other stages? DK Summit and DK Mountain from the GameCube are virtually identical save for the snow. There was another pair that seemed pretty lame in the originality department, but I forget offhand.

The Good: Most of the rest of the tracks. The Wi-Fi (In your face, Brawl!). The weird-ass rosters of characters, vehicles, and Items. And... Oh, darn it, what else was there...?

Oh, yeah.

RAINBOW. ROAD.

Holy fucking Jesus... This game wasn't too impressive at first, but when I got here, I was blown away. The background, the design, and the psychadelic effects it has on you are awesome. And there's a total of FOUR Mario Galaxy references here, which is AWESOME. Said references are:

1. Star Bits floating over the track at a few points.
2. Transparent Sling Stars around speed boosters all around the track, and a single beautiful Launch Star that rockets you up a tunnel and onto a higher part of the track. The sound effects are spot-on, and the colors when you go through the tunnel... It's just a gorgeous sight.
3. Rainbow Road has been in space since the start, but the Mushroom World (as depicted in SMG) is now clearly visible far below the track; if you fall from said track, you are engulfed in a meteoric aura and plummet like a shooting star; the aura and the sound are again, directly lifted from Galaxy.
4. The most awesome Easter Egg of all (IMO), the track's theme music is a remix of the traditional Rainbow Road psychadelic acid music CROSSED with the Good Egg Galaxy theme. THE SUPER MARIO GALAXY THEME IS (to an extent) PLAYED ON RAINBOW ROAD.

(orgasm)

The Ugly: See "(orgasm)"

The Random:

-I miss King Boo's original voice. >_<
-Diddy Kong needs to be MURDERED for his voice. (<---Not marked as a spoiler because PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THIS.)
-Rosalina sounds kinda like a hooker in this game.
-Moonview Highway is like that Robot Chicken skit of Mario Kart GTA: Sirens blaring, doing drive-by's on Miis with Shells, cars being blown off the road by Bob-Ombs... WHY WASN'T THIS A BATTLE MODE TRACK!?!??! ;-;
-Coconut Mall is a fucked-up place. Where else in a video game can you be distracted by modeling posters depicting Beavis and Butthead long enough to crash into Darth Vader while he's trying to park his yellow sports car?
-ACE's bitching about cheap last-second Item attacks is 107% accurate.
-Word of advice, newbies: In the secondary Cups, don't think you know all the tracks because you've played them before. Nintendo's 'modified' them a bit. Just a little heads-up for the first time you go flying over the jump in Bowser's Castle from Mario Kart 64 and are gonna land on- ZOMFG GIANT LAVA GEYZER SHOT UP ADN ROASTED MEH!!!!!!!11!1!1!111 :swear:

Overall, so far? It ain't Mario Kart 64, but it's pretty damn entertaining. I'd say it's a worthwhile addition to the Mario Kart family. BUY IT!!!!!!!!11

Clark
4th May 2008, 06:43 AM
yes i noticed bowsers castle shot me in the ass...it was quite the bitch. also, RAINBOW ROAD kicks my ass and its so fkin sexy i cant stop.
i dont really mind the graphics, doesnt kill my eyes with shiny shit.

kainashi
4th May 2008, 08:17 AM
on 150cc the computer likes to hit you with multiple items on the last lap right before the finish line when you're in 1st, thus dropping you into 3rd or worse.

Clark
4th May 2008, 09:03 AM
hmm..played blademaster a bit earlier, he won all the battle maps we did. and i won 3 of the 4 vs racing.
comon guys we need to set up a huge race or something!

PNT510
4th May 2008, 12:16 PM
You really don't need spoiler tags. It's Mario Kart, it's not like there is some big plot twist you might accidentally reveal.

Heald
4th May 2008, 01:45 PM
KING BOO KILLS BABY DAISY AT THE END OF THE GAME

by the way this post contains spoilers

also, to be making with the compliance of a dare, I HAVE FURY

Blademaster
4th May 2008, 08:17 PM
You really don't need spoiler tags. It's Mario Kart, it's not like there is some big plot twist you might accidentally reveal.

I don't like having anything spoiled for me in a game. I'm just returning the courtesy. Unlike some people. Thanks for spoiling the ending, Britprick. My money was on Dry Bowser killing (and eating) Toad, but you had to go an ruin it. Jerk. :mad:

Starry Might
5th May 2008, 02:19 PM
Gee, thanks for wrecking the ending for me, Heald. ;-P

Seriously...

Though I had initially convinced myself I would stick with Karts, I think I'm rapidly becoming a bike man. I can't stand waiting for the gimped powerslide (not a whole lot of turns wide enough for you to get the full boost) and just sweeping about with those tight turns and popping a wheelie on the straights is satisfying as all high hell. Koopa Troopa + Bullet Bike = where it's at.
Yeah, I'm likin' bikes more, too! :D

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks at least a couple of stages are copies of other stages? DK Summit and DK Mountain from the GameCube are virtually identical save for the snow. There was another pair that seemed pretty lame in the originality department, but I forget offhand.
Now that you mention it...they're really not that identical, but I guess they do have some stuff in common!

Coconut Mall is a [censored]-up place. Where else in a video game can you be distracted by modeling posters depicting Beavis and Butthead long enough to crash into Darth Vader while he's trying to park his yellow sports car?
LOL

Anyhow, yeah, 150cc = PAIN IN THE BUTT. Fast speeds + cheap A.I. = CRY.

HOWEVER, I've been having better luck since I started using my trusty Wavebird instead of the Wii Wheel (I tended to oversteer with the latter control type). Thank goodness this game and "Brawl" are backwards-compatible with Gamecube controllers! ^_^

Oh, and since I've figured them out, I've been doing tricks more, too! :dance:

Drago
6th May 2008, 03:29 AM
For ease of use, anyone who mentions their friend code will now have it appear in the first post in this topic. If anyone says theirs, I'll add them so add me back, foo's! (Yes, I'm insinuating that people are too lazy to skim through a couple pages to find codes. I know I am.)

Clark
6th May 2008, 03:36 AM
i forget mine, but *if* u aim msg me ill be more inclined to turn my wii on.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
7th May 2008, 03:57 PM
I'll post my friend code for this, just because: 3351-4368-5881.