PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Sports sports sports sports...

Drago
17th February 2008, 05:20 PM
All because we frequent a forum dedicated to Pokemon (alright I feel lame already) doesn't mean we're all a bunch of inactive pencil-necked geeks who haven't seen sunlight in several years, now does it? Well I dunno... to see if this poll had been done before I searched 'sport' in PCG; the word had only been said 34 times in the last five years, go figure.

1. Do you currently play, or have you in the past, played any sport competitively? Which?

2a. How long and if you're no longer playing how come?

2b. If you never have... come on love, give us an excuse. ;)

3. If you played a team sport, what position did you play and why?

4. What's your favourite pick-up-and-play / backyard / schoolyard / etc. sport?

5. Are there any sports you'd like to play but haven't tried much yet?

6. Are there any sports you like to play, but can't stand watching?

7a. Fire off your favourite player from whatever sport you care to list...

7b. If you can't name any, how about suggesting things you like to do instead of sports?

8. Quick, you need to assemble a TPM team to play against some other forum (whatever sport, I don't care). Who are you going to draft?

And now, answers... valuable answers!

1. I used to play gridiron/American football back in 2005.

2a. Tragically only a single season, up until I started university. I figured studying was more important at that point, I didn't need the pressure of the game distracting me (plus I got a lot of concussions. A whole lot)

3. Speaking of concussions, I was a linebacker plus the backup fullback. Linebacker was an obvious position for me, I'm not strong enough to play the line or fast enough for a DB, but I had fairly decent coverage skills and I was a real damn good tackler; really it was mostly just a reckless disregard for my bodily health and innate ability to run into people.

4. Backyard football is tops (no pads, no tactics, just a couple dumb kids running the same plays again and again), but soccer would be my other selection; a lot of fun memories, despite getting knocked loopier than I ever did playing football (ball kicked into my face point-blank).

5. I'm not so great at individual sports, but I wouldn't mind trying my hand at tennis. Looks like fun, and I don't mind watching it. I really, really want to get back into golf, which I had a couple lessons for back in like '97, plus played with my grandfather a little bit.

6. Soccer. I'll readily play it at any time, but I find it so boring to watch. I guess I'm not used to such a big field, it really just looks empty out there.

7a. American football - Steve McNair, basketball - Kevin Garnett, golf - Mike Weir, Australian football - John Platten, baseball - Joe Carter, soccer - Ronaldinho, tennis - Andre Agassi.

8. Quarterback: mr_pikachu - Brian can lead this team calmly and accurately, at least in the grammatical sense. I reckon he can be a good leader and keep track of the playlist. Besides, he's already proven in the archive moving request thread that he can throw TDs whenever he wants.

Running back: kainashi - The Firebirds have craftily taken Frank Gore and Ryan Grant while they were under the radar in the past two years of fantasy football, obviously there's a great understanding of the intricacies of running the ball. There's potential for a solid running game here.

Fullback: Asilynne - For a power running game. She's run over Rudy under the guise of Jamal Lewis, she'll plow you down too.

Wide receiver: Sike Saner - Anyone who posts FanFics certainly knows, when you've got Sike reading, you won't be alone. Sure as the sun will shine, Sike will be there, ready to reply. You certainly want your WR to always be where you expect, oui? Plus, like all great WRs, Sike's got quotes. Lots of 'em.

Tight end: Gavin Luper - Because I couldn't think of any other position for Gav, and I had a slot open. And all Australians are good at sports, it's like the law.

Offensive line: Roy Karrde - He's a Cowboys fan, and their o-line seemed to all be in the Pro Bowl. Therefore, he can take on the role of five different positions. If all else fails, he can throw his helmet at opponents. He knows what I'm talking about.

Defensive line: Heald - Do you think anyone... ANYONE can block Heald? No, me neither.

Linebacker: Me - Because otherwise I don't get to play. :(

Defensive back: Andrew - Andrew has a history of taking my Pokemon and then beating me with them. Opposing quarterbacks will feel similar pain when he nabs the long pass and then takes them to the house. I can't be bothered coming up with anybody to play safety, so my former Pokemon Farty and Great Sock take the safety positions.

Kicker/Punter: dratinihaunter13 - His name is Martin (Marteeeeeen!), he's bound to be good for a couple long ones here and there. He's claimed otherwise before, but I'm sure he's just being modest.

Long-snapper: Kevin - Because just like any good long-snapper, you won't even know he's there.

Dark-San
18th February 2008, 09:49 AM
1. Do you currently play, or have you in the past, played any sport competitively? Which?

Soccer. I used to play it with a couple of friends casually. I was either never good enough to be selected or had always been overlooked for competition selection.

I had been in love with the sports since eight and has been playing it quite regularly till around eighteen, which was the age I officially quited the sports.

Several injuries and more long term commitments forced me to rethink about it. Besides around that time, my studies was seriously affected and in the end it proves fatal, resulting me in getting C's and D's grade for that semester.

I will play any position. But I loved to run around, so an attacking position probably suits me best.

My schoolyard has this sand patch and my group of friends would usually play marbles. I of course always landed up the loser. =(

Baseball! My school does not possess any baseball equipments nor do we have the luxury of having a baseball field (always have to share with another PE classes that has their soccer lessons).

Besides you all would understands that almost 80% of Singapore's housing estates comprises of high- rise buildings. So if a classmate would to hit a home run, one of the ball might ended up breaking one of the nearby buildings' window.

Golf! An interesting game to play since we have to take a lot of conditions into consideration before we hit the ball. Natural conditions like the location of the green, the velocity of the wind and also the other competitors' position. However even if I do find golf interesting, I would never consider it for viewing.

Kaka! A really talented Brazilian currently playing for the Italian club, AC Milan. I happen to catch one of the club's match up in the Champion's league and was truly captivated by his footworks and trickery.

8. Quick, you need to assemble a TPM team to play against some other forum (whatever sport, I don't care). Who are you going to draft?

I would field a squad that would followed the 4-4-2 concept.

Goalie - Suzie (Little Pikachu)
A no- nonsense administrator that shuts out everyone who opposes her. A highly valued talent if you want to protect your goal.

Defenders (Flanks) - Heald and Magmar
We need defenders that tricks their opponent's with fancy footwork and runs fast to tackle the ball at the sight of trouble. It would be an advantage if they could always pump long accurate passes to reach the strikers.

Defenders (Centre Backs) - Gabi and Chris
They are the last backline of protection against merciless attacks by the opponent. As such, they have to be tough and show no mercy in their tackling.

Midfielder (Defensive) - Andrew
A midfielder that is defensive minded and should be reliable since they would be the first to come in, should an opponent launches any attacks. At times, they would be useful in taking freekicks and long shots that would surely terrorized the opponent's defence.

Midfielder (Attacking) - mr_pikachu
A midfielder that has a natural born instinct of creating goals, spots gaps and exploit them. Needless to say, they are the heart and soul of any attacking minded team and would be required to work tirelessly when required to.

Midfielder (Flanks) - Mikachu and Kalah
Needless to say, their main job is to supply long passes to the strikers and have them score goals. Have to co-ordinate with the flank defenders at times.

Strikers - Roy and Blade
One striker that plays the support role in providing through ball and another striker that has the ability to evade and score goals when they matter.

Cheerleader - Kirst and Christen
Hah yes, what are we missing here?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
18th February 2008, 09:56 AM
1. No, I've never done any sport even semi-professionally. I like to play sports when I feel like it and I want to train when I feel like it and don't want anyone to tell me on this and that day you have to show up and train. So I pull a Winston Churchill and do no sports.

2b. Already given one above.

4. I played football (real football, not the American one) with friends now and then, just need a ball and two trees are the goal.

6. Chess! I like playing it now and then but have you ever seen a game of chess on TV? Boooring.

7a. Tennis: Julian Knowle; Football: Hans Krankl; Formula One: Gerhard Berger; Alpine Skiing: Peter Wirnsberger

8. I would draft Chris the Sandlash as my doubles partner in a game of ping pong.

mr_pikachu
18th February 2008, 03:16 PM

Current: Tae-Kwon-Do and chess. Shut up.

Past: Baseball, basketball, soccer, track and field, and cross-country.

Okay, one at a time...

Baseball: Started playing T-ball in preschool or kindergarten, and continued through most of middle school. I might have continued further had it not been for some medical issues at that time.

Basketball: This one I started at some point in elementary school. Never was much good at it; I was fantastic at defense, but my shooting was so poor that opponent hardly needed to even worry about guarding me. Stopped playing at the beginning of middle school when I had to narrow down my activities because of time limitations.

Soccer: Started at about the same time as basketball; unlike that sport, however, I was a pretty good footballer. Was always one of the best players on my team, but I had to quit at the same time as basketball for the same reasons.

Track and field, cross-country: I only participated here for about a year, as the aforementioned medical problems knocked me out of this activity. I was pretty good at mid-distance running and the long jump in track and field; I made it to regionals for the latter event as well as the 4x400 relay, if I recall correctly. Also participated in nationals for cross-country, although I had an off day there.

Tae-Kwon-Do: I've been doing this since I was 13. While I haven't been as active in my training recently as I would like, I can still hold my own with most people. Earned my black belt a couple of years ago, which is pretty cool in my opinion, and I've won a few tournaments to boot.

Chess: Okay, I've played chess since I was seven, and I entered my first tournament at ten. I don't play as often now since college and writing take up so much of my time, but most people on the local tournament circuit know me.

On a side note, if NASCAR and poker are sports, chess is a sport. Really.

Baseball: Some of my teams rotated positions, but I was typically a middle infielder. Started primarily as a second baseman and moved to short once my arm strength improved. I also served stints at third whenever necessary.

Excluding chess, I'll have to go with basketball. (Frankly, we rarely had the necessary equipment for baseball or soccer, and most of my classmates didn't have the patience for kickball either.)

Not really. For the most part I try whatever I'd like to try. Although I've considered tennis a couple of times... *shrugs*

Basketball, with a caveat: I can't stand the NBA. Get some March Madness going, and I'll view the NCAA with rapt attention. I'm also not too interested in watching cross-country.

Baseball: Albert Pujols. (C'mon, he was just about the only big name that wasn't in the Mitchell Report.) And for a classic player, Nolan Ryan.

Basketball: Uh. Charles Barkley?

Soccer: Ashamedly, I don't watch enough of this. Mostly follow the World Cup, but I never can find an MLS game on TV.

Track and field/cross-country: The former used to be Michael Johnson...

Tae-Kwon-Do: Not exactly one of those things you can often sit and watch. Although I should follow the MMA more, if only to glean tactics and such.

Chess: See, I don't study most of the modern players and openings. I'm more of an endgame junkie. Maybe Bruce Pandolfini, but it's not like he plays in many tournaments these days.

Poker: Daniel Negreanu. I may not like his life choices (i.e. dropping out of college), but I love his playing style.

7b. If you can't name any, how about suggesting things you like to do instead of sports?

Just for fun, I'll answer this too. Writing's an obvious pastime of mine, as well as playing any game under the sun. Video games, board games, sports... you name it, I'll play it. I'm hoping to get to a competitive level when Super Smash Bros. Brawl comes out in March.

Let's go with baseball. And just for fun, I'll make the team exclusive to Fanficcers.

The batting order is as follows...

1st: Gavin Luper, 3B. Who better to lead off than Fanfic's most patient member? Just as he's careful with his chapters, he'd likely avoid reckless swings. But Gavin can act quickly when necessary, and he has a tendency to surprise people. I'd look forward to some Eckstein-style bunts with him at the top of the order!

2nd: mr_pikachu, SS. I'm not a power hitter, but I've got the consistency and speed to make things happen on and off the field. As for why I'm in the hot corner, I shouldn't have to explain again.

3rd: Dark Sage, LF. To become one of Fanfic's most well-known authors, you have to have some power in your posts. I think that would carry over to the field; he's the guy you want throwing out men at the plate and smashing any pitcher's mistake into the upper deck. He's also quick enough to be a hit-and-run threat in tight games.

4th: Master of Paradox, 1B. Cleanup is a perfect role for him considering his behavior as an uncompromising critic; no writer's inadequacy goes unpunished if he happens to be reading. He's better at focusing on one or two works than flitting around from fic to fic, however, and that emphasis on doing just one or two tasks exceptionally places him firmly at first.

5th: Dragonfree, RF. Dragonfree gives about as much effort as any member on Fanfic for undeservedly little recognition. Such motivation is crucial for the right fielder, whose efforts often get overlooked with the center fielder next door. She's got the patience and the creativity of a great middle hitter, so this is the spot for Dragonfree.

6th: Sike Saner, 2B. Fanfic's Best Reader doesn't let many fics slip through the cracks, and he's apt to keep up that pattern to keep balls in the infield. He's a quick player and member, but he's also dedicated enough to devote himself to training outside of games and to diligently knock in runs during play.

7th: Weasel Overlord, CF. The Weasel is at her best in the spotlight, so there's no better spot than the head outfielder. Her powerful prose would surely translate to the field, where she'd need all the strength she could get. And her numerous Writing Contest victories definitely translate to multiple Gold Gloves. She's got the coverage and power to be great here.

8th: classy_cat18, C. Just as Shonta is an expert at managing her complicated fics, she would be quite skilled at directing the efforts of the pitcher. She'd be attentive enough to read the runners as well, so you can expect many timely pickoffs with her behind the plate.

9th: Heald, P. The dude throws flames. Enough said.

And no, we don't mess with any of that DH nonsense. Any pitcher who can't swing a bat is a loser.

Sheik
27th February 2008, 01:32 PM

I do not currently participate in any sports, thought in the past, I have participated in: baseball, basketball, swimming, track, and football.

I no longer play because I'm in college. I stuck with basketball and swimming all the way through high school. The rest I dropped at some point before that.

2b. If you never have... come on love, give us an excuse.

I can't?

Basketball: I was the post. I'm 6'3".

Basketball

Um. I always wish I could have been in gymnastics.

Not really. Football kinda bores me though.

Swimming: Michael Phelps

Read, write, study, be random

No idea. I haven't been on here in months. :)

Heald
27th February 2008, 02:10 PM

I used to play rugby at a competitive level but now I just try and keep fit by going to the gym, swimming and playing squash.

I played rugby for about 10 years, but I got bored. I've been playing squash for 2 years.

I played rugby. I played prop, both loose-head and tight-head. I was prop because I'm huge, heavy and I have powerful arms and legs (I was the strongest guy in the school). I could play both sides in the scrum because I'm just Godlike.

Football (soccer to you yanks) is fun, as is a game we invented called 'Old-School Rugby', which was a mix between American Football and Rugby (i.e. you had American Football style plays but grounding the ball didn't automatically stop play).

American Football is something I've always wanted to try. I just want to tackle someone hard. My height and my arm-strength also make me good at volleyball but I've never been to my uni's team practices because they clash with my lectures. I've always wanted to go skiing too, but I'm too poor (bawwwwwwww).

Hmm. Squash is really boring to watch. I can't stand watching tennis or cricket either, but I don't really like playing either of them either. Sometimes golf is good to watch, depending on my mood. I absolutely abhor watching motor sports.

Rugby - Chris Paterson
Football - Luke Varney

Hmm. I choose 3v3 cage soccer. Each team usually has a squad of 6 or so and does constant substitutions, so 6 people:

Heald - Me, natch. I'm a power-hitter and I can launch the ball at vicious ferocity. I can be accurate too, but when playing in a cage, it doesn't matter as much.

Blademaster - My second in command is a natural choice. He's usually quick to the punch so his speed would be quite handy, plus he is good at rebounding my shots at the intended target.

firepokemon - Aggressive and no-nonsense. Just the attitude you need in cage football.

mr_pikachu - Seems like an analytical kind of guy, so he'd excel at the triangulation and tactics one would need in such a game.

DragoKnight - A good team-player, and this game is all about teamwork.

ACE135CC - I love this guy. Hell, I'd put him on the bench just to keep me entertained, but I suppose he could do well in winding up the opponents, throwing them off and such. Psychological warfare for the win!

Magmar
27th February 2008, 03:09 PM
Yes, baseball, football, and track for a litttle while (but alas, something came up with that... but I made the team ^^;) as well as currently: Rugby!

I have always been involved in some sort of sport since I was little. Right now I only have time for the rugby and even that is a relatively new addition to my life.

2b. If you never have... come on love, give us an excuse.

I shifted around a lot at baseball because our coaches always switched us up. However I probably spent the most time as catcher, probably because I owned my own equipment and because I'm quite a good catcher. American Football I was mostly a runningback because I'm fast and short, but not taken down easily. We don't really have assigned positions on the rugby team because we are small right now and only getting going, and the positions really aren't varied all that much to begin with. We just number our positions and go with that.

Dodgeball because at my job I am paid to play/coach dodgeball with 5th and 6th graders (10-12 yrs. for those out-of-US folks) and I know all sorts of fun variants!

HOCKEY! I'm not too bad on the ice and I'd like to try it with other beginners at some point.

6a. Are there any sports you like to play, but can't stand watching?
Yes, BASKETBALL puts me to sleep!

Baseball: Jacoby Ellsbury. Need I say more? <3

Photography and playing bass guitar.

Hell if I know. I don't think many people on this board actually play sports. But Green_Lanturn for sure. He plays for Notre Dame!

Clark
28th February 2008, 08:56 AM
1. Hockey only sport.

2a. Forever.

3. Left Wing and Center, because I'm too secksi lefty to play RW.

4. Football and Basketball. Gotta own at all sports.

5. Tennis, this shit looks hella hardcore and I'd love to play it sometime.

6. Basketball, I can't stand watching that crap.

7a. Don't have a favourite.

I'll LW for my beautiful team.
Right Wing, kainashi. need some fire power.
Center, Heald. Throw dem bowz.
Goalie, firepokemon. fp just owns stuff.
Defense, crystalmew and dru. just hope the opposing team gets distracted by their good looks and gives up the puck. especially if we play SPP, they've never seen or spoken with a girl IRL. so we'll win.