PDA

View Full Version : March 2008 OCG Ban/Restriction List

Dark Sage
19th February 2008, 02:39 PM
Here are the new changes to the OCG Banned/Restricted List. Keep in mind, this most likely reflects the TCG game as well.

New Forbidden:

Magician of Faith, Breaker the Magical Warrior, Call of the Haunted

New Limited:

Raiza the Storm Monarch, Advanced Ritual Art, Monster Reborn, Nobleman of Crossout, Ojama Trio

New Semi-Limited:

Cyber Dragon, Light and Darkness Dragon, Necroface, Book of Moon, Foolish Burial, Mage Power, Magical Stone Excavation

Now Unlimited:

Apprentice Magician, Green Gadget, Yellow Gadget, Red Gadget, Jinzo, Creature Swap, Pot of Avarice, Reckless Greed.

You heard right – they’re bringing back Monster Reborn. Trust me, this is an experiment that will only last six months.

My thoughts on some others:

Magician of Faith: I like this card, but I can understand why they’re getting rid of it.

Breaker: Well, with Apprentice back at three, it makes sense.

Call of the Haunted: With Monster Reborn coming back, you gotta get rid of this. I can see why.

Raiza the Storm Monarch: I’m glad they did this. He’s likely the worst of the Monarchs. He can shut your opponent down for a whole round, which really isn’t fair.

Advanced Ritual Art: Not only does this make Ritual Summoning too easy, it makes summoning Dark Gaia and Dark Armed Dragon too easy. Good call.

Nobleman of Crossout: Eh… I never use more than one anyway… No big deal.

Ojama Trio: This was probably the Trap Card I hated the most. I hope it stays limited.

Cyber Dragon: My only question is, what took them so long?! Feel a little sorry for Cyber End Dragon through… You’re gonna need a Proto Cyber Dragon to bring him out.

Light and Darkness Dragon: Does anyone even use this card anymore?

Magical Stone Excavation: I don’t have a problem with this. However, if you can somehow get two copies of this card, more power to you.

Apprentice Magician: Since Magician of Faith is gone, this makes sense.

Jinzo: Clearly, Konami did this so they’d sell more “Light of Destruction” packs. I didn’t see an increase in its use when it went up to two, and I doubt I’ll see any now.

They could have done more, of course. They could have gotten rid of that Frog, Grand Mole, Reasoning, Monster Gate… But I can live with what they did.

Perfect Chaos
19th February 2008, 03:31 PM
Man I haven't played YGO in ages...

So due to that, I don't know too much about the current metagame. I've heard that L&D Dragon decks have been the new standard amongst players, so I guess that makes sense on why it was put to Semi-Limited.

It seems Gadgets got a huge boost, so I expect that they'll be the new CC once these rulings take effect.

I find it interesting that they brought back Monster Reborn. I think you might be right in that its purely for experimental purposes Brian, so probably it'll go back in the next ban list (which I believe is September/October time?)

Raiza and Advanced Ritual Art I understand too, especially with all the Demise decks and the new Rituals that you mentioned before Brian. I don't know anything about the usage of Ojama Trio that warranted Limited use (I know the card effect), so that's a cloudy subject for me to bring up.

Eh, more work to be done now if I ever create another deck :o

-Sean

Blademaster
19th February 2008, 10:30 PM
It's lists like this that make me glad I never play in tournaments. I'd never use, say, Yata-Garasu on somebody, but I ain't about to dismantle my Spellcaster Deck just because UDE or Konami or whoever makes these lists feels like being a jackass and putting staples like Magician of Faith on the ban list.

Houndoom_Lover
13th April 2008, 11:50 AM
*Takes out Call of the Haunted from my deck and chucks it* Score! *puts in Monster Reborn* ^o^ Now, let's see some Tribe-infecting Virus comebacking, whoot!

Dark Sage
13th April 2008, 11:53 AM
Uh, HL, I'd save that Call of the Haunted if I were you. I can guaruntee, Monster Reborn's comeback will be only temporary. Next ban list, it will be gone again, and Call of the Haunted will be back.

starjake
13th April 2008, 01:29 PM
I dunno. Today's meta is amazingly Graveyard-oriented, so both players having access to a card that can disrupt what's in their opponent's Graveyard throws an interesting monkey wrench into the mix. It's more than just a 'revive-a-monster-for-free' card; knowing how to play it strategically can mean the difference between winning and losing. You need to know which monster would be best to bring back for the current situation, and bringing back the wrong one could mean your defeat. It's a lot different than a mindless destruction card, like Raigeki, or a card with not much of a drawpack, like Imperial Order or Ring of Destruction. True, Monster Reborn has no drawback, but I don't think it qualifies as game-breaking (there are FAR fewer situations where one will win due to a topdecked Monster Reborn than, say, a topdecked Dark Hole).

Houndoom_Lover
20th April 2008, 02:04 PM
^_^ Don't worry! I won't get rid off it, you can count on me to keep everything I have. Though I must say! I only have two Monster reborns, and ten Calls of Haunted! Plus three monster Ressiurections (Sp?), and a few theme based death cheaters- playing on a non-tourny level, you could keep your cards alive foreveeeer! *holds my hands together* C'mon Tribe Infecting Virus! *waddles away, muttering*

Dark Sage
20th April 2008, 02:10 PM
Since Snipe Hunter is limited to one, and it can only destroy one Monster at a time with one discard - unless you roll a 1 or 6 - you can bet they aren't gonna bring back a Monster that can potentially wipe out your opponent's whole side with no roll involved by paying only one discard. Sorry, but I wouldn't count on seeing Tribe-Infecting Virus again.

starjake
20th April 2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah...I'm gonna have to agree with DS on that one. Trib-Infecting Virus is just too strong. Granted, much of the time, there aren't more than one of same Type of monster on the field at once, so Tribe would only destroy 1 monster at a time anyway, but Snipe Hunter is Limited, and it has lower stats and the potential for a failed roll.

If I were you, I would stick with Lightning Vortex. Or just play Traditional.