PDA

View Full Version : Poll: I've been procrastinating from posting a poll for nearly four years.

shazza
7th April 2008, 10:17 AM
Time really does fly, doesn't it?*

Anyway, since I'm posting this poll whilst I am procrastinating from doing an essay, I'll do a poll about procrastinating.

1) How often do you procrastinate, if ever?

2) What do you usually do when you procrastinate?

3) Do you know why you procrastinate?

4) What do you do and try to minimize you procrastinating? How do you get yourself focussed?

My answers:

1) Very regularly, I feel that I'm procrastinating much more during my uni years. Hell, it's 1.15am and I'm doing a poll when I should be doing a 1,500 word essay due tomorrow.

2) Browse the internet, YouTube, MySpace, IRC, MSN, watch TV and in this case, I am now posting a poll.

3) Eh, I don't know? It's stupid. I know it leaves me less time and the quality of my work suffers, but I have such a short attention span.

4) I ask myself why am I procrastinating exactly, and what does it achieve in the long run? In fact, I just asked myself that right now, so why the hell am I posting this for? Back to the essay I go.

*Upon further inspection I actually posted a poll in October 2007 on my other account. However, this is the first time in nearly four years on this account.

Crystal Mew
7th April 2008, 10:40 AM
I always procrastinate. Whenever I have a paper due for school, or if I need to clean my house before a certain time, I always wait till the last minute.

Browse the internet, watch tv, basically anything but what I'm supposed to do

Haha, no...because everytime I think about I KNOW it will be easier if I just get it out of the way, but for some reason I have this voice in the back of my head saying "oh, you dont need it done for X amount of days, there's PLENTY of time!! HAVE FUN NOW"
but I should never listen to that, all it brings to me is stress. lol

4) What do you do and try to minimize you procrastinating? How do you get yourself focussed?
Well usually, I try to treat it as its the day before and I have to get it done, no matter what. Sometimes it works....

One time I had to write a 5 paper essay on a painting. ONE painting, and you had to describe it and everything, it was so stupid. But being the procrastinating person I am, I waited till the night before, and stayed up all night writing it.

The next morning it snowed quite a bit, and class was cancelled, and I didn't have the class for another week. Which was nice cause I finished the paper so I had the rest of the week to do whatever I wanted :)

Of course, if I had known it was going to be a snow day, I probably wouldn't have done it. Gosh, what is wrong with me sometimes

Good luck to you Shazza on your essay!! :)

Jeff
7th April 2008, 11:56 AM
(PG): "Procrastination is a lot like masturbating, sure it's fun, but in the end you're just screwing yourself"

1. All the time. Right now I have something involving 7 questions that I have to answer due the 17th (I think), I should be working on it now, but come on, it's due over a week away! I was much worse before though, I'd leave several of my projects less than half-finished until the day before they were due.

2. Internet mostly. My parents have always complained that whenever I'm supposed to be doing work, I'm always on "those stupid Pokemon sites", even though TPM is really the only Pokemon site (if you can call it that) I get on anymore. I also find it funny how TPM's the only thing that bothers them and not all the other video game sites and such that I visit.

3. That little voice is what does it to me too. No matter how much I know I should get something out of the way, the voice keeps telling me that I can always do it later, and then "later" happens to be the day before it's due.

4. Nothing really. I've tried treating like it was due the next day before, but that voice in the back of my head just said "yeah, who are you trying to kid". The good news is that even though I don't have any way of keeping myself from procrastinating, my parents do. They stand over me and make sure that I do my work. My mom especially, she's very anti-procrastination.

firepokemon
7th April 2008, 10:20 PM
It has been long Shazza and you have gone from fat to thin and that is why I hate you, you bitch :p

Constantly whether I procrastinate over cleaning the house, taking the dog for a walk, buying presents, doing uni work, doing stuff on the internet. Basically I procrastinate all day long.

Sit there like an idiot staring into space or go on the internet and stare at the screen or watch television but not engaging in it.

Cause I am a lazy piece of shit.

Smoke and smoke and smoke and smoke but I don't usually stop procrastinating like I said I am a lazy piece of shit and pathetic at the same time ^^.

Drago
8th April 2008, 12:06 AM
All the time. I'm procrastinating right now, in fact. Got a 2500-word essay due tomorrow on a book I actually haven't read yet. I love me, I really do.

Usually I procrastinate for days on end, but if it's just throughout the day I usually place the blame on the computer.

Life's too short to pass university.

Convince myself that the computer will still be there after the work is done, plus I won't have that annoying feeling at the back of my mind.

Zak
8th April 2008, 02:25 AM
1. I procrastinate all the time but I have an excuse. If it's like studying for an exam, it's better when studying is the last thing I do before going to sleep because it stays with me in the morning.

2. Lately I've been having a trip down memory lane replaying old PS1 games.

3. See 1.

4. I just think about how I'm in community college right now and this year could have been so much better otherwise, just the normal motivation to go off. Already got into four places this year so now I'm just waiting for the year to end, but still working as hard. I know once I go away I'm gonna want this year of my life back.

SupremeChampion
9th April 2008, 10:05 PM

1.) i'm not gonna lie, like all the time.
2.) probably everything possible to not do what i'm supposed to. This includes watching tv (even if it means surfing and finding something that i don't normally watch), playing video/PC games, surfing the internet, talking to friends, going out with friends.
3.) i don't know.. i guess because i'm not motivated to do whatever needs to be done? i'm currently trying to break this habit of procrastinating, but i keep putting it off haha.
4.) as weird as it might sound, when i'm ready to work on a paper or something, i get people to talk to me on AIM. with people talking to me (it can only be like 2 or 3 though), they hold my attention when i get distracted from my paper, then i just get right back to it when i answer them. i know it sounds like i have ADD but i swear i don't haha.

~The Italian Stallion

Kirby
10th April 2008, 01:30 AM
1. More than I should
2. Internet, zone out, watch tv, etc
3. Because I'm lazy
4. I turn off anything that might distract me (ie the computer, radio, iPod)

AntiAsh Superstar
18th April 2008, 02:26 PM
1. I'm a terrible procrastinator. I put things off all the time.

2. Normally I post on random forums or just spend hours reading sites like Digg or
ED.

3. Because motivation is hard.

4. I have Soo to smack me over the head if I don't keep in line. Works for me!

CuteLassJigglypuff
18th April 2008, 07:04 PM
1. Usually when I have to study for an exam.

2. Browse the internet, watch TV, play video games.

3. Probably lack of motivation.

4. I put away anything that might distract me.

mr_pikachu
19th April 2008, 02:09 AM

Um... constantly?

I'll play video/computer games, watch TV, browse the internet, sleep, or just let my mind go numb.

Because busywork makes my mind squeal with pain.

Goal-setting helps. If I'm writing a paper, I'll set a goal to write a page and then play 20 minutes of video games, or something. If I feel myself getting into a groove I skip the break... and before the night's over, my paper's done.

Magmar
19th April 2008, 04:42 PM
Generally I procrastinate around finals time because I work my ass off all year, and it's time to relax while everyone else panics! But I get bored!!!

Surf the 'Net & play my bass. Like now.

I really don't procrastinate! I just stay ahead of the game and find myself with a lot of lulls in my semesters. One more year to go after all! Sometimes projects just seem so daunting, it's hard to begin them. It takes a lot of will to do it, but I do!

iPod and open the fucking books!!!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st April 2008, 05:31 AM

I usually deny I procrastinate. I just have something else to do and it's the matter of my importance order as a whole.

Anyways, exceptions, in the morning, when I have to wake up. I just put the alarm clock to wake me up a bit later, many times. I also procrastinated from posting in this poll.

I put the alarm clock to wake me up later. Generally speaking, things higher on my own importance list.

Not really. I hate it but still do it sometimes.

Simply choose projects I really want to do.