PDA

View Full Version : Official Anime Questions topic!

Jamey
11th September 2002, 08:21 PM
Official Anime Questions topic!
*Ask any questions about any anime, a term you've heard in an anime, or a word you heard and don't know what it means, and your specially trained mods will run to help you, or you could get assistance from one of our other many fine members!
*Rules:
1. no spam answers
2. No questions on where to d/l animes
3. Make sure your questions haven't been answered
4. see if the question has already been answered
5. Clearly indicate whose question you are answering
*The objective of this topic is to clear up the number of question topics by putting them all into one big honkin' topic for easy referance.

RedStarWarrior
11th September 2002, 09:31 PM
What exactly is Arc the Lad? Kevin gave me a brief summary on AIM but I am still not clear.

Kevin
12th September 2002, 06:36 PM
As I said, it's based off two PSX games with the same name.

Basically, there are 5 spirits in their world, Fire, Water, Wind, Earth, and Light. And of course there's darkness trying to dominate everything and get rid of the spirits and anything it can't control. To gain control, it needs to open this ark. And the only person who can open it is a shrine maiden. Arc is chosen by the 5 spirits to protect this girl.

But the story starts based around a boy named Elk. He's been blessed by the Fire spirit, and is pretty mad with Arc since when Elk was a boy his town was wiped out by the crew of an airship called the Silver Noah, which Arc is currently in control of.

I don't know what else I can say without spoiling much, I thought it was a pretty cool anime, so if you can rent it, you better go for it.

RedStarWarrior
13th September 2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks Kevin. I will be sure to check the local anim stores and see if any of them have it. It sounds pretty interesting. I mean that in a good way.

GoldenDragonite
14th September 2002, 08:27 PM
A Yu Gi Oh question: Why does Yugi change into a different person when he is dueling??

Roarkiller
15th September 2002, 08:08 AM
Anyone care to tell me where i can get them? Not one or two (i already have Itsumo Nandodemo and Shiroi Ryuu) but the whole lot.

Animelyrics.com is out of the question, i check it juz now and found a few tons of errors on their lyrics, ranging from wrong romaji spelling to wrong words.

RedStarWarrior
15th September 2002, 10:33 AM
Animelyrics was wrong? Oh crap....I have to go check my song lyrics I got from them.....I am sorry but they were the only site I used. I will tell you if I find another site.

Jamey
15th September 2002, 11:58 AM
Answer to the Yugioh question: Because he has the Spirit of the Pharoah locked inside his Mill Puzzle

Roarkiller
15th September 2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Modern Casualty
Animelyrics was wrong? Oh crap....I have to go check my song lyrics I got from them.....I am sorry but they were the only site I used. I will tell you if I find another site.

When u learn japanese, u get to see the rampant mistakes. Anyway, the most r right anyway, though if u have the song itself, id suggest listening to it while reading the lyrics, that'll help a LOT.

lugia222
16th September 2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Roarkiller
Animelyrics.com is out of the question, i check it juz now and found a few tons of errors on their lyrics, ranging from wrong romaji spelling to wrong words.

You have to remember though that most of the lyrics were fan-submitted, and whenever a corrected version is sent in it is always updated.

FerioFlareon
17th September 2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by lugia222
You have to remember though that most of the lyrics were fan-submitted, and whenever a corrected version is sent in it is always updated.

Uh huh, and romaji/romanji spelling can be tedious in translation [like, when translating some will make "ou" into just "o" becuase you don't usually need that extra u to make the "oh" sound in english].

Er, and the initial post of your question for lyrics... I know it was in another topic before that mentioned the need for the lyrics, but transferring it here without adding to it to make that more clear made for a seemingly confusing and non-sensical inquiry. I know it's in that mini-bolded, post-topic line, but I typically don't read those [I know I'm abnormal, but, does anyone read em?]. Maybe a little added context next time when transferring questions from another topic to here [just a suggestion, s'all :)].

Roarkiller
18th September 2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by FerioFlareon
Uh huh, and romaji/romanji spelling can be tedious in translation [like, when translating some will make "ou" into just "o" becuase you don't usually need that extra u to make the "oh" sound in english].

Reeaally? Did u know that 'iie' means no, but 'ie' means home. 'sh!tte' mean know but 'sh!te' means 'to do'. 'Shoujo' means girl but 'shoujou' is Orang Utan (not sure of latter).

BIG diff. Anyway, this is getting out of topic, so could ANYONE get me the lyrics? I dont mind if the lyrics is in japanese since i can read them (though my kanji is "totemo hidoi").

Edit: stupid censors...

FerioFlareon
18th September 2002, 04:50 PM
Er, if that was meant as a sarcastic mocking of my "extensive" [ha ha] knowledge of Japanese, whatever. My point was making an example of common translator laziness/mistakes. XD

Anyhoo, I don't know what the "whole lot" of the songs are, or if maybe you've already seen here, but whatever:
http://sekaisei***u.net/hakulyrics.html

Edit: yeah, stupid censor thing. The asterisked letters in the URL are f u k.

Beth Kaiba
21st September 2002, 03:38 PM
I have a question: What's an okatu?

Jamey
21st September 2002, 07:26 PM
we use the term lightly around here, meaning someone who loves animes and are very knowledgable around them. An otaku is a lifeless person obsessed with anything (although on the net, it's mostly used for anime), but we use the term lightly here.

FerioFlareon
21st September 2002, 10:46 PM
I read that, literally, "otaku" means house [though I can't seem to verify that vocab anywhere...]. In this sense it refers to anyone who has a large collection of something and stays at home all day indulging in it. But, yeah, it has become a common term for "big-time" anime fans. :)

Murgatroyd
22nd September 2002, 07:12 PM
Definitions of "otaku", from my dictionary:
1: your house; your home
2: you
3: a fanatic

Roarkiller
22nd September 2002, 08:46 PM
Er, if that was meant as a sarcastic mocking of my "extensive" [ha ha] knowledge of Japanese, whatever. My point was making an example of common translator laziness/mistakes. XD

Anyhoo, I don't know what the "whole lot" of the songs are, or if maybe you've already seen here, but whatever:
http://sekaisei***u.net/hakulyrics.html

Edit: yeah, stupid censor thing. The asterisked letters in the URL are f u k.

Sorry, was busy the last few days. Anyway, thx. They're perfect.

lugia222
22nd September 2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Jamey
we use the term lightly around here, meaning someone who loves animes and are very knowledgable around them. An otaku is a lifeless person obsessed with anything (although on the net, it's mostly used for anime), but we use the term lightly here.

Actually, one interpretation of the word Otaku i like a lot is - One who has no life yet has a life. In other words, an Anime fanatic. They don't like anything but anime, and therefore have no life, yet they have to have a JOB to buy anime, and therefore HAVE a life :-p

PlatinumHawke
23rd September 2002, 02:55 PM
From what I know, "Otaku" literally means "dangerously obsessed fan."

Beth Kaiba
24th September 2002, 08:43 PM
I think I've got that straight, now, but who would have thought that I'd have no idea about a word that fits me so well? (That's not a question.) Anyway, thanks for clearing that all up for me.

The Dorian Slayer
25th September 2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Beth Kaiba
I have a question: What's an okatu?

Uh... Am I stupid or was that name used for one of the Pokmon 151-251? Maybe it was Sentret or Furret?

FerioFlareon
25th September 2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by The Dorian Slayer
Uh... Am I stupid or was that name used for one of the Pokmon 151-251? Maybe it was Sentret or Furret?

I think that was Otachi [not sure though].

Roarkiller
26th September 2002, 06:49 AM
I think that was Otachi [not sure though].

Yeah, its Otachi, or Sentret. Incidentally, Furret was Ootachi, and "oo" or "ou" in japanese means big. Wonder what tachi means then. Fur?

EngiMatikul
29th September 2002, 07:47 PM
What does Suki and No Uta mean? Those words seem to pop up in a lot of anime I watch.

Roarkiller
29th September 2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by EngiMatikul
What does Suki and No Uta mean? Those words seem to pop up in a lot of anime I watch.

Suki : like (dai suki means like very much, or love)

No uta : no meaning. Its (???) no uta. Eg. Mimi wo Sumaseba soundtrack, one of the song is called 'Baron no Uta'. Uta means song, 'no' can be used as a particle for possesion, so 'Baron no Uta' literally means, Baron's song. The Baron is one of the characters in the anime movie btw. And hell its a good movie ;)

U know, noated.com has some basic japanese lessons that is actually useful in covering basic spoken/written japanese. That's where i first started before advancing to the more difficult parts (the particles r still killing me, as are the verb modifier).

yamisdarkangel
10th November 2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by GoldenDragonite
A Yu Gi Oh question: Why does Yugi change into a different person when he is dueling??

It's because of the Millenium Puzzle. when Yugi duels he either call apon(i don't think i spelled that right), which is after Duelist Kingdom but before Duelist Kingdom( not including the first series because the Americans missed out on that) Yami Yugi takes over Yugi's body.

Metallixs Girl
18th November 2002, 12:25 PM
How do you pronounce Inuyasha?

In-OO-yasha

or

In-YOO-yasha?

I can never remember...

And is Speed Racer an Anime? It looks VERY much like one, but I'm so new to Anime, I'm not sure.

Murgatroyd
18th November 2002, 06:29 PM
I-nu-ya-sha

PlatinumHawke
19th November 2002, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Metallix's Girl
How do you pronounce Inuyasha?

In-OO-yasha

or

In-YOO-yasha?

I can never remember...

And is Speed Racer an Anime? It looks VERY much like one, but I'm so new to Anime, I'm not sure.

Yep, Speed Racer, or "Mach Go-Go-Go" as it is know in Japan, was an anime produced a good many years ago, I think back in the 60's or 70's. It's old-skool anime.

As for the pronouciation, "ee-noo-yah-sha" with nothing stressed.

Metallixs Girl
19th November 2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by PlatinumHawke
Yep, Speed Racer, or "Mach Go-Go-Go" as it is know in Japan, was an anime produced a good many years ago, I think back in the 60's or 70's. It's old-skool anime.

As for the pronouciation, "ee-noo-yah-sha" with nothing stressed.

Okay, thank you. :)

GoldenDragonite
24th November 2002, 10:39 AM
Some questions from digimon season 4:

1. What exactly is the fractal code, and what is the point of absorbing it?

2. Can the kids turn into any other digimon besides the spirit/beast spirit digimon?

Shadowgengar
27th November 2002, 03:36 PM
This question is only to anyone who's seen Princess Mononoke but anyway why did the forest spirit keep turning into that Nightwalker thing?

PlatinumHawke
27th November 2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Shadowgengar
This question is only to anyone who's seen Princess Mononoke but anyway why did the forest spirit keep turning into that Nightwalker thing?

That was the form it turned into every night.

Murgatroyd
27th November 2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by GoldenDragonite
Some questions from digimon season 4:

1. What exactly is the fractal code, and what is the point of absorbing it?

2. Can the kids turn into any other digimon besides the spirit/beast spirit digimon?

1. The "fractal code", or "digicode" in the original Japanese, is the energy/material which makes up the substance of the Digital World. Some digimon can use it to evolve into more powerful forms, the Chosen Children ("Digidestined") scan it from their enemies with the intent to return it to where it came from, and Cherubimon takes very large amounts of it for reasons which are as yet unknown.

2. The answer to that depends on what you mean by the question, and how many spoilers you want.

GoldenDragonite
4th January 2003, 10:47 AM
Allright, some zoids questions:

1. What exactly is an organoid, and what does it do?

2. Can zoids think for themselves?

EVme15
10th January 2003, 06:53 PM
1. Well, I can't give you any exact answers... but an organoid is basically a special type of zoid. It has the ability to fuse with other zoids, recover them, make them faster, stronger, ect... They are also able to transport humans and ancient zoidians short distances, via the "hollowed out" portion in the main area of their bodies.

2. Yes. Before they were tools of war, zoids were free. They can think on their own, act on their own, and that stuff.

Kallero v4
20th February 2003, 11:03 PM
Are thinks like Power Puff girls, Samurai Jack, and Invader Zim anime, or American imitations of anime? Its kinda hard to tell =/

FerioFlareon
7th April 2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Kallero v4
Are thinks like Power Puff girls, Samurai Jack, and Invader Zim anime, or American imitations of anime? Its kinda hard to tell =/

Those three shows are by American producers. Although, I believe I saw an interview on Cartoon Network once with one of the creators of the Power Puff Girls [and Samurai Jack.. I think...?], who admitted to being significantly influenced by the Japanese animation style.

SygmaXE
20th April 2003, 04:33 PM
Here's a bit of a hardcore question I asked for years:

Was Astro Boy the first ever anime? (Animated series in Japan)

There...I asked it. Oh, wait! I have 2 more:

I've been reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga in Shonen Jump and, like many other manga compared to their anime, the story is greatly different. What I'd like to know is does the Deulist Kingdom events happen in the manga?

and finally...

How do you spell/say "Wolf Eternal" in Japanese (kanji)?

Seriously...

FerioFlareon
27th April 2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by SygmaXE

How do you spell/say "Wolf Eternal" in Japanese (kanji)?

I'm not an expert, but I'm say it'd be "eikyuu na ookami"
[Hiragana: イ
Kanji: ivȘT ]
And that would be "eternal wolf," and if not correct, is probably closer to being correct than my speculation on "wolf eternal," which I guess would be... "koufuhen" [ ӂւA Ts].

I'm not sure though ^^; Kanji pronunciation can be ambiguous.

Dark Scizor
7th November 2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by SygmaXE
Was Astro Boy the first ever anime? (Animated series in Japan)

There...I asked it. Oh, wait! I have 2 more:

I've been reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga in Shonen Jump and, like many other manga compared to their anime, the story is greatly different. What I'd like to know is does the Deulist Kingdom events happen in the manga?

I'm not sure about the Astro Boy question, but i think it was the first animation or manga that i believe started anime in general, but i'm not sure about that.

And about the Yu-Gi-Oh, since i dont read the manga frequently but has seen afew issues of it in shonen jump. I think from memory there should be Duelist Kingodom in the manga since in the english version of shonen jump it only follows the original animated series (or vice versa) and i have a vague memory of Yami_Yugi showing me a picture of the YGO manga just after Bakura tore out pegasus' millenium eye and it showed him looking dazed with blood coming out of his eye, so i guess Duelist kingdom is in the manga.