PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto IV

Heald
18th April 2008, 11:25 AM
Since it is coming out in a couple of weeks, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about it, and if anyone is going to by it?

I don't actually have a PS3 or an XBox 360 (although I am going to buy a 360 in the next few months), but I'm pretty excited about this, especially if it finds its way onto the PC. Two advance reviews have given it 10/10 and according to the makers of the game, all other advance reviews have been perfect 10s as well. The multiplayer looks pretty sweet as well, as I'm always a bit annoyed that once I've completed the story mode there isn't much else to do (I usually find myself either finishing the side-quests before the main story or just find them tedious) but this game it looks like they are moving away from the more cartoon-esque GTAIII trilogy to a darker, more realistic one, although apparently just as funny. I'm glad that they're taking out stuff like the hungry and weight bars that made it too much like 'The Sims' for my liking.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Roy Karrde
18th April 2008, 11:54 AM
I'll be picking it up for my X Box 360. When you get your's Heald tell me your gametag! I would get it for my PS3 but my PS3 controller was broken right before I moved.

PNT510
18th April 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm picking the game up for 360 for sure. Achievements plus DLC makes me think the Xbox version is the one to go with. Only problem is I don't have a gold live account so no online play for me at first.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th April 2008, 12:07 AM
This is an out-dated opinion, but I don't think it will be as good as GTA2. I usually like the idea of making 2-D games 3-D, take Super Mario, but in GTA series violence really jumped to my eyes when I saw it 3-D. IN 2-D GTAs people were like ants you kill but then came the 3-D GTAs you see the violence too closely and like in the real thing.

Drago
19th April 2008, 06:19 AM
I've always liked the GTA games (Got 3, VC & SA), but I usually play them fairly intensively before growing weary of them and not touching them again for years. Frankly, they just feel very samey to me. I don't know what else I could want them to add (multiplayer does sound promising though!), but perhaps it's just not really my kind of genre. Who knows. Lacking either a 360 or a PS3 right now puts a halt on any consideration I might have had anyhow. Not interested in the former and waiting for the latter to not cost an arm and a leg, plus three teeth.

Roy Karrde
29th April 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm picking the game up for 360 for sure. Achievements plus DLC makes me think the Xbox version is the one to go with. Only problem is I don't have a gold live account so no online play for me at first.

I got the 360 Version last night at midnight! The game comes with a free 1 month trial of Live. So tell me when you get it, if you want you can have my live 1 month free cupon.

Edit: Who ever thought of adding InGame Television shows and comericals you can watch on a TV in the apartment is a freaking genious!

Crystalmaster Mike
29th April 2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah, on the local news they said people went as far as to wait until midnight in front of the game stores to get their copy. Reminds me of the HP craze, heh.

So anyway, their labelling it as a game with a virtual unlimited world to walk around in? A just-sort-of-renamed New York?

Of course, you'll get remarks on it centering on theft and violence and what not, but I like this guy's remark on tv, that it's just a gamer's way to do sth illegal, by doing it in VR.
Besides, no one expects a "true" game to be like that Coca Cola commercial right? You give a little love, and it all comes back... to you!

PNT510
29th April 2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the offer Roy, but my game came with a free month as well.

I played a small chunk of the single player today. The voice acting is good like always, but the story seems better than in the other games. The only problem I'm having with the game is the driving is a bit more realistic so it makes chases harder.

Heald
30th April 2008, 05:48 AM
GTA IV: It's so good...

http://www.gamepolitics.com/images/JT-GTA4-cropped.jpg

Even Jack Thompson approves!

Roy Karrde
30th April 2008, 01:03 PM
hey Heald, I know you are going to get a kick out of this. It's GTA4 In Game TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBYdC6GzQWo

Bronzie
1st May 2008, 06:05 AM
Thanks for the offer Roy, but my game came with a free month as well.

I played a small chunk of the single player today. The voice acting is good like always, but the story seems better than in the other games. The only problem I'm having with the game is the driving is a bit more realistic so it makes chases harder.

The driving is my problem too haha! I liked speeding through and being able to turn.. but now it's realistic, bah!