PDA

View Full Version : We Lost One of Our Cats Today...

Starry Might
23rd April 2008, 02:17 PM
Two days ago, Scraggly, a longhair Balinese cat we've had for 8-9 years, suddenly stopped eating on his own. Last night, we noticed that he was breathing fast, as well.

This morning, my Mom and I took him to the vet. As it turned out, he had a heart murmur and fluid around his heart and lungs. My Mom decided that she didn't want him subjected to treatment that would only delay the inevitable (since he was a nervous cat), and so she authorized euthanasia for him.

This was so unexpected! It's apparently not that unusual, however...

The last time we've lost a pet (two if you count an outdoor cat that my Mom took care of) was two years ago.

We've got 3 cats now, and I hope nothing like this happens to them!

R.I.P. Scraggly. :(

firepokemon
23rd April 2008, 09:26 PM
Awww I feel sorry for you Starry Might. Its amazing how much love we can give to our pets. Sometimes, they seem more important than actual humans. Last year our family lost our black labrador Storm when he got ran over. My god did I cry, so I know how you will be feeling. But hopefully you can treasure the lovely memories yo had with your Cat and enjoy the company of your present cats.

darktyranitar
24th April 2008, 06:19 AM
Sorry to hear that, Starry Might. I've lost a great deal of cats too, (some due to diseases, two or three cases involving car (said car usually involves the one we owned... and it's not only tires we're talking) and the occasional cases of disappearing without a trace).

I (used to) have about seven to nine cats, but after I returned home from college recently... I was informed that all but the two of the catsof are now gone. What makes it even worse if that our first cat (which has been around for about 9 years) is also included in the missing batch. Makes us real sad, that.

I do wish that they'll return one of these day. Come back home, Pichu :(

Starry Might
24th April 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks guys. :)

darktyranitar, I hope your missing cats are okay!

Crystal Mew
24th April 2008, 11:28 PM
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. :( losing a pet is a horrible thing... I was so sad and depressed when my ferret, Baby died 2 years ago. it was so horrible...so I definitely know how you feel.

When I'm older, I'm not sure if I even want pets, it always breaks my heart when they go =(

Andrew
25th April 2008, 06:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you lost a...

Oh... come back when it' s a dog or something less annoying than a feline.

shazza
25th April 2008, 10:06 AM
In 2000 my father ran over my cat's head, it ran around in circles with its eye popped out and we thought it died.

However, it returned two weeks later (however only with one eye).

It ran away in September 2004, and by Christmas we were sure it would never return. But in July 2005, 10 months after it initially left us, it returned once more.

And we've been close ever since. :)

Sorry for your loss.

Kirby
25th April 2008, 01:39 PM
My condolences. :(

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/9159/catcurledupnt2.jpg

Crystalmaster Mike
26th April 2008, 02:24 AM
My condolescences.

For about 3 months we (ergo, my mother mostly) took care of a relative's female dog. She (the dog) was 16 years old, older than my brother ánd our previous car. That comes down to about 112 dog-years if I'm right.
So, naturally, she didn't behave like a puppy, only when my mother got back from... where-ever she went the dog couldn't follow her, really. She hang onto her like a toddler.
But she had a heart problem and heaps of fluid in her chest (and in a paw too, eventually), so we had to let her go. One day the vet said she would last another month... the next week, she only got a week or so (less, IIRC). So it may have been for the best.

Anyway, I hope you can enjoy your cats' company for another long while, but keep in mind that nothing lasts forever, except memories.

Clark
26th April 2008, 11:34 AM
that sucks man/woman.
i lost my baby felix a few years ago to leukemia. was with him til he stopped twitching. we have 5 other cats. at that time we had just him and 1 other. i definitely didnt want anymore after that and my sister brought 3 more. and we just got another. i dont think i can handle much more of that. im definitely not getting any when im older.

shazza
26th April 2008, 12:00 PM
Cats/dogs bring TPM'ers together. :(

Katie
27th April 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. :( It was the right thing to do. Prolonging suffering for a bit of treatment with little chance of recovery is no way to spend your last few weeks. Just remember that you gave Scraggly the love and care that many cats never get to experience, and a happy life is the best you could ever offer him. :)

.hacker
1st May 2008, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my only cat about 3 years ago to cancer. Take your time to recover from your cat's passing.