PDA

View Full Version : What video game consoles/computer games etc did you have as a kid.

firepokemon
27th April 2008, 10:21 PM
LOL just at a chat now and they were talking about old computers which lead me to talk about how I had an Atari Computer. But it was more like a video game system that was well majorly weird. But it made me think. And since many of us are super old, we've probably had our share of really weird systems. For some of you, old may just mean a Nintendo Nes or a Sega Master System for others it may include some Atari stuff or hell an Amiga or a Commodore or one those strange 64 games in all systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Xegs.jpg

And that console also came with this gun thing and the game Bug Hunt which was ugly as it was in green and black and had the unfortunate Spiders which use to scare the shit out of me. And you plugged it into your computer and it came with a word processor. And it also came with a book where if you typed whatever it said in the book, it would show a display of colours and stuff. It well strange and I guess it was some type of small coding system, but as I said it was strange.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XG-1

Also my parents thought it would be cool if we had one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Atari2600a.JPG

Lets just say the games were terrible and my parents were too cheap to buy us decent consoles. Thus its perfectly understandable to realise why I never became into video games. It was ok though. And you had stuff like tennis in blue and white colours only. Oh kids today live in a far different world. But you know there was something grand about these games. They were simplistic and yet they had something memorable about them whereas many games today while graphically great, gameplaying great are just well pathetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_7800

I also had something similar to that it was also strange.

Sega was in huge in New Zealand I vaguely remember playing on friends's master systems and master systems 2. And of course then their was the mega drive. A weird system but like I said Sega was way bigger than Nintendo here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Mega_Drive

And I'm guessing many people here had a Snes? Yeah we had one at one stage as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snes

We had like two games Super Mario Brothers and some Wizardry/vikings type game. Nevertheless, that game was strange and difficult. And we ultimately found a second console that my sister found but my brother fought over it and well we broke the only hand controller that we had and well this was before the internet and sites like trademe (trademe is New Zealand's own EBAY)

I just realised I never talked about computers. Well there were the amiga commodores and grand games like Super Frog the equivalent to a Sonic or Mario but for the amiga system. And then there were the IBM based computers and well that had Cosmo and Hocus Pocus, the mario and sonics of that world. Oh and crap like Shooting Gallery. I swear we never had very good games with anything. Although Wolfenstein was great. 286 and 386 were average but the 486 system was rather good and fortunately our one got stolen in 1999 so we got a Penitum something computer from Hewlett Packard, that survived our house burning down and the cd drive was a m drive that was wierd. But its at my mums and we kept having to restart the same thing (I mean install everything again and we didn't do backups) And I couldn't find much of interest. But I'm gonna see if I can bring it up here next time I go down, which will be at Christmas. But I'm diverging.Don't talk about your computers eally but if you want you can.

----

Bah so show us what you had. And if you're trying to find your early early systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28first_generation %29

That might help. Although I still couldn't find a few game systems we had. But my parents were strange and went to cheapo shops.

Oh and no showing us you're Game Boy Colour system from 2000 or anything. Lets keep them as high as say SNES and Sega's Mega Drive/Genisis.

PNT510
28th April 2008, 12:19 AM
When I was young we had an NES, I don't really remember playing it. I do have distinct memories of watching my father play Zelda 2 though.

We later traded that in from the Genesis(Mega Drive). I played a bunch of Sonic. Ys3 was probably my favorite game on the system though.

I know you said to not go past the 16 bit era but, the first system I owned was the PS1. I got it for my 10th birthday. I remember felling bad for my father because the price for the system 6 days later and he didn't have a lot of money.

All my old systems are gone, but I have since when back and bought NES and SNES. My little sister also has a genesis now.

firepokemon
28th April 2008, 12:22 AM
Yeah no PS1 is fine I guess and first gameboys are fine but no X-Box, PS2, Nintendo DS or Wii. And if you own any SEGA product go for it. Segas were great.

Edit: Oh and if you have something that is super old such as what most of mine were or peculiar not well known systems go find pictures or something or at least have a go at finding stuff.

Kirby
28th April 2008, 01:39 AM
While I was growing up, SNES was all the rage. I have fond memories of playing Chrono Trigger and Super Mario World 2 with my best friend at the time. Tetris Attack was also one of my favorites (the game is one of the sole reasons I gained a love for 'puzzle' games). I didn't have a Sega, but my best friend did and I remember we'd get frustrated over that damn CARNIVAL LEVEL on Sonic 3. What a classic series.

I'm pretty sure my bipolar mother tossed out the SNES years ago, but I'll always have memories of it. Thank god for roms.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
28th April 2008, 02:53 AM
My first "own" video game console was the NES which I first saw at a friend's. My brother used to have an Atari VC2600 before that. After getting the NES on my 10th birthday I only got two games with it, Ice Climber which came in a bundle with it and Super Mario Bros. Back then I got games very rarely, I couldn't get any myselves as I didn't get any pocket money, so I had to ask my mother buy me new ones. At the end of the year I could add Soccer and Tennis to my collection. I liked those games and my parents did too so I played quite often with then. My next additions were Golf and Legend of Zelda, the latter one I got because I found the name interesting. There were no video game related magazines available in Austria back then, so I could just get the games and hope for the best.

SupremeChampion
28th April 2008, 08:44 AM
the very first console i played would have been the Atari 2600. it was my dad's, given to him by my mom for his birthday, and to this day i find it one of the most entertaining platforms ever invented. i used to play games like defender for hours, though i never made it to as high of levels that my dad had. i used to play that game where you tried to catch cattle, because i thought that was great, and i used to play the spider-man game, where you had to climb up the building using your webs, either avoiding or fighting the green goblins men, and then when you got up top you needed to disable the bomb that was there (which was always in the AC unit, for some reason...). haha anyway, the Atari 2600 was and still is an awesome system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_2600

the first console that i owned was a NES. my grandparents bought it for me and my sister one Christmas. it was a very wise investment, on their part lol. i played my NES a lot, and mostly Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt in the beginning since that was the game that came with the system. i got more games for my NES, and rented some, but always had a great time playing them (like Super Mario Brothers II & III, Duck Tales, to name a few lol)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES

My parents then got me and my sister SNES for Christmas like a year or so after it came out. good times were had then, too. Super Mario World was a staple in the house, but we also had games like NHL '94 and Madden. SNES was a lot of fun to play, and it never bothers me that i never (and will never, unless Nintendo goes bankrupt) owned a sega.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNES

~The Italian Stallion

Drago
30th April 2008, 07:23 AM
Good topic fp, livening things up a bit! First console we ever had was a SNES. This was way back when I was a wee sprat, hot new thing straight off the shelves in 1991. Super Mario World was the first game we ever owned, and to this day one of the finest gaming experiences I've had. It was my sister's console.Still also held up pretty well all these years, save for a couple controllers we had to replace (because people's hands were filthy and sweaty and messed things up). On the plus side of the controller issue though, I took it upon myself to take a couple apart and fix them myself. That was pretty neat.

Pretty soon afterwards, to balance out my sister getting a SNES, I was bought a Genesis. Preferred the SNES, but loved Sonic to death. Thought we was the coolest thing in the world, but why not? He was marketed to 90s kids. He was marketed to ME. It's downright painful to see how he's being treated nowadays, though I look forward to restoring some of his glory in Brawl.

When we moved to Australia in late 1997, even before we had found our own place and were still living at my uncle's, we bought a Nintendo 64. Such fond memories with this machine, it's a toss-up whether it or the SNES goes down as my favourite console of all time. The only problem is I didn't have a lot of game-playing friends back then, so I didn't get in too many multiplayer sessions. That didn't really happen until Gamecube.

For Christmas 1997, my dad bought me a Sony PlayStation. Once again, great console and brings back a lot of memories just thinking about it now... Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit. That's the big one for me.

Wasn't until 1998 that I finally bought a Game Boy (Pocket), and the only reason I bought it was for Pokemon, which I had become obsessed with just reading about it in a player's guide (there's a longer story there, but it's mostly irrelevant). Fun fact; I started my game over again within the first couple minutes because I couldn't think of a cool name for my Bulbasaur, and stuffed it up by typing BULB and the Pokemon symbol. I don't know how or why. Can't remember when I got my Game Boy Colour, but it had Pokemon on it. 2001? Something like that.

Weasel Overlord
13th May 2008, 10:07 AM
(HOPEFULLY not necroing old thread here)

My first console was a Mega Drive :D, but I can't remember how old I was when I got it. Maybe around 6 or 7, by which time they would have been out for a good few years. Unfortunately, we went on holiday one year and when we came back it was covered in all this weird white stuff, I have NO clue what it was, but that was the end of my faithful Mega Drive. I had all the Sonic games, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Columns (YEAH COLUMNS!!), Alex the Kidd and a couple of others, I think.

Then when the N64 came out, mum bought me one but the games were super expensive and then the Playstation came out, so we traded the 64 in for a Playstation, with Bugs Life as the game, but I hated it, so mum traded that for Spyro. :D And now I am STILL hooked on first generation Spyro (none of this PS2 crap! They started sucking as soon as they changed from Insomniac).

Never had a Game Boy, but I used to play on my little cousin's when I was at his house. Me playing Pokemon Yellow on his GBC was where the obsession started (apart from watching the anime religiously every Saturday morning XD) and I only FINALLY bought my own DS like, last Summer (I know, naughty me, talking about DSs).

And as for computers, I didn't even GET one til I was 18, so all these Atari thingers are beyond me, lol.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
15th May 2008, 11:06 PM
(HOPEFULLY not necroing old thread here)

Sorry everyone, but I noticed this topic yesterday. Here I post what I handwrote yesterday, a bit modified.

It wasn't until when I was 12 years old when I was introduced to videogames big time. That can be seen from the fact I suck at them.

OK, I played some games even before I was 12. They were on my friend's or my school's computers. Not only basic Windows games such as Tetris clones, but also games like Leisure Suit Larry. I didn't know of better back then.

I got a glimpse of something better when I tried a friend's NES. THe first videogame I ever played was Aladdin there. And then I tried Super Mario Bros 3. I was kinda scared of the time limit in Mario back then and didn't get into it deeply.

Anyways, I moved to a new family in 1997 when I was 11 and they had NES and finally actually learnt to play SMB 3! Then we got our Playstation for Christmas and the first game I played through was Final Fantasy VII.

Since then, I have enjoyed video and computer games although I. suck. at. them.

Katie
16th May 2008, 02:38 PM
As a kid I was raised 7am-6pm in day care year round, and since I didn't actually own my very own system until later, I'll talk about what they had.

My first day care had an NES. I remember playing Mario Bros, and some version of Megaman. I remember the opponents Gravity Man and Stone Man being the easiest, and Crystal Man was the hardest. That's the most I remember from it though. After some idiot kept blowing (spitting) in the cartridges they stopped working, and the place bought big honkin arcade games. I remember some racing game and another with planes shooting down ...other planes? Aliens? It's been a long time. They kept getting new ones and getting rid of the old ones, I'm wondering now if they had some kind of rental deal.

My second day care had an entire room devoted to a bunch of systems and TVs. I remember the newest and most popular was N64, but I wasn't impressed (the only game it had was Mario 64). There was also a Sega Genesis and I really enjoyed a racing game called Lotus. The least popular system there was two lonely SNESes, my favorite! I loved them so much I spent all my long-saved allowance to buy my very own. I bought Mario All-Stars, Super Punch Out, and Dr. Mario/Tetris. I loved those games so much =D

I can't remember if my gray-brick Gameboy was before or after the SNES, but I had that and played it all the damn time. I hade a Tiny Toons game, Dr. Mario and Tetris (again), and Wario something or other. Later I got Pokemon Red and decided to get a Gameboy Color because that's what all my friends had, despite Red not actually being in color. And everything after that isn't really for this thread. :)

Jeff
16th May 2008, 09:04 PM
I had an NES when I was little, I remember playing Super Mario Brothers and a game called To the Earth, which used the NES Zapper. Everyone I knew had NES back in those days, Sega was almost unheard of in the US until the Genesis came out. I had a friend who had a Genesis, whenever I went over his house all we played was Sonic.

I got the original gray Gameboy for Christmas one year (I still remember sitting on Santa's lap and asking for one!). I got Tetris with it, and had a few other games for it. I still used that original Tetris cart for all my Tetris needs up until getting the DS, which of course, wasn't compatible with it, so now I have Tetris DS.

When our NES died (after years of abuse by the kids my mom watched back then), we got an SNES. I don't remember the first games we had for it, but we now have Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Tetris Attack, and a bunch of other games. I still play it to this day.

We got the N64 for Zelda OOT, and I got a GBC for Link to the Past DX. Zelda was the series for me back then, until I was introduced to Pokemon on Christmas '98. But by that time, I had just started high school, so I wasn't really a kid anymore.