PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Heard of the Darkrai Promotion at Toys 'R' Us?

Starry Might
28th April 2008, 02:04 PM
This is kinda old news, but I'll share it anyway:

The official Pokémon Web site has announced that Darkrai will be exclusively distributed for free at U.S. Toys 'R' Us stores noon to 4 p.m. May 31 and June 1. A U.S. version of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl will be required.

To find a nearby Toys 'R' Us location, use their store locater by clicking on the following link:

http://www.toysrusinc.com/tstorelocator
Original link (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Darkrai_to_be_distributed_at_Toys_%27R%27_Us)

Anyone interested? I'm thinking about doing this just for the heck of it...I got Mew for my "Pokemon LeafGreen" game two years ago, but I skipped the Manaphy giveaway (partially because it couldn't be helped).

Heald
28th April 2008, 02:48 PM
I just sharked it ages ago. Nintendo are just commercial-centred now, selling the best Pokemon to the highest bidders. That's not what the game is about, dammit. Now I refuse to pay for any of their games, and I'll trade sharked Darkrai across the GTS just to fizzle out their little scheme.

Blademaster
28th April 2008, 03:05 PM
Good thinking, Heald. Add me to that list, will ya? I just want the Dex Entry - I don't care about having one of those things. Cheap-ass, ugly sum'bitch.

mr_pikachu
28th April 2008, 05:25 PM
Hrm. I might participate, if only because I refuse to touch a hacked Pokemon with a ten-foot pole. Not just because of the potential game destruction; it's the principle of the matter for me.

And yeah, so far I've missed every giveaway I meant to attend... curse my self-conflicted schedule!

Heald
28th April 2008, 05:39 PM
I think when compared to the company merchandising the hell out of a beloved hobby, and then selling the best Pokemon to big multinational to distribute to the gullible masses, sharking is for the real Pokemon fans who want to take it away from Nintendo before they ruin it for the rest of us.

DarkestLight
28th April 2008, 06:19 PM
I agree with both sentiments here. While I don't like the principal of sharked Pokemon, at the end of the day I honestly had to do so to get Celebi on my Gold-and that took ages for me to do. I lucked out with the Lati@s giveaway at the then Pokemon center (was an Employee for a short while) and the Manaphy giveaway was easy, I was very happy the Nintendo store just gave it away during October in the store, that made life simple.

I had a friend do the Mew one, as I was unable to hit up any Toys R Us and truthfully, I dun think I want to do it that way cause, as Heald stated, I don't feel that Pokemon should be given away at large conglomerates who really don't have any true stake in the damn hobby. If they release it at the Nintendo Store like they did with Manaphy, I'll gladly pick it up there.

Sad thing is...there's still Shaymin and Arceus to think ahead for too. But I'm sure you sharked those two as well, Heald. Not hating on ya for it, in fact I'm glad some people like you understand the fact this game needs to stop being commercialized and patronized so damn much and are willing to go to the lengths that others like me won't. (Not without serious conviction)

In any event, when the hell is PK Ranger 2 coming out Stateside? They better give another egg to me in that one so I can hatch a Shaymin.

(Yes, I did miss out on the Emerald ticket giveaways to get to those stupid islands to get Ho-oh, Lugia and Deoxys, but hell GTS provided me with non sharked versions of them for fricking Turtwigs? Whats the appeal with that, seriously!)

Heald
28th April 2008, 06:38 PM
The fact is, the events are only run in the US. There are never any UK events of this sort, meaning sharking is my only option.

Pokemaster Ash
28th April 2008, 09:20 PM
Eh, I decided to go the AR way as well, though at least I had the decency to get the items that unlocked the in-game scenarios rather than hax Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus up themselves. The giveaways are usually either useless or even cheaper than the haxed ones anyway (if this Darkrai is the same as the one they gave away in Japan, it's got two moves it does NOT deserve on it...). Did the same with the tickets in R/S/E and FR/LG. Figured I could at least say they're semi-legit (legitimately caught, even if not legitimately accessed).

Why does Nintendo even bother keeping them locked away, anyway? Wouldn't it be better to earn them through some really damn hard to accomplish goal in the game? We wouldn't have to resort to such drastic actions as seeking out events or Action Replays...

mr_pikachu
28th April 2008, 09:29 PM
Why does Nintendo even bother keeping them locked away, anyway? Wouldn't it be better to earn them through some really damn hard to accomplish goal in the game? We wouldn't have to resort to such drastic actions as seeking out events or Action Replays...

Japanese Mew.

Enough said.

DarkestLight
29th April 2008, 06:25 AM
o.o? Wut about Jap Mew?

mr_pikachu
29th April 2008, 01:28 PM
Remember the diploma you received in RBY for getting all of the first 150 Pokemon? In the Japanese version there was no diploma... you got Mew instead.

Unless I'm very mistaken, there was a similar "removal" in GSC with Celebi. Making the Ilex shrine useless... what a travesty.

Crystalmaster Mike
29th April 2008, 02:46 PM
That shows how the people of (Nintendo of) Japan and of (Nintendo of) Everywhere Else differ in mentality.
In the heimat, the game sells on simple popularity alone (yes, and on the fan craze).
But in America, and subsequently the rest of the world, the idea gets introduced that they need to lure customers to stores, to thrive from circumstancial purchases made during the event.
Pity, isn't it?

Ah well, Mew Glitch ment I didn't need to Shark my game to fill the 'Dex, though in Red's case, the game is glitched up enough as it is.
Southern Island I reached by sending the game to the local NOE office. I got Deoxys during a Game Expo in Brussels, Jirachi from a (second-hand) Pkmn Channel, and Manaphy (and so Fione) through Ranger.
That leaves out Celebi and the DP exclusive event Legendaries...

Yeah, I'll just sit out. Still waiting for Lucario And The Mystery Of Mew to get out on DVD here, too.

Shuppet Master
29th April 2008, 04:51 PM
I don't care - I went to the Mew giveaway and got a free Mew. Mew's still my favorite of the "unknown" legendaries. :D

I met some girl who had gotten a Celebi from a convention.

Jirachi is probably the easiest to get, if you got the GameCube bonus disc long ago.

You can't name any of those, sadly. But you can name Manaphy if you get it through Pokemon Ranger(the only reason I haven't tossed that lousy game - I don't like the game mechanics at all; the story had problems too, with only Rangers being allowed to own Pokemon and releasing any Pokemon they catch).

After seeing the 10th movie, I'm going for Darkrai. :)

Pokemaster Ash
30th April 2008, 12:22 AM
Well if Nintendo is smart, they'll remake Gold and Silver at some point and maybe we'll finally get a legal Celebi in the US (as well as a more manageable Lugia & Ho-oh, and so on). Of course, who knows what might come in the future...

At the very least, hopefully Nintendo will now focus on quality over quantity. 493 Pokémon is enough. No more, please...

Starry Might
2nd June 2008, 02:23 PM
Now that it's over, who went and got Darkrai?

I wound up not doing it. Oh well.

Heald
2nd June 2008, 02:34 PM
I've got 10. And I didn't move an inch.

DarkestLight
2nd June 2008, 04:29 PM
I was bored, mosey'd down there.

People were in line for some weird reason. I just stood by the entrance, and grabbed it, and vamoosed (Saddened really. I didn't go through any hardship to obtain it, so I felt worthless, really.). Then I realized people weren't in line for the Darkrai, they were doing a tourney. So I chillaxed there and watched.

Blademaster
2nd June 2008, 09:40 PM
I've got 10. And I didn't move an inch.

See, THIS is why we want Heald to take over the site. -_-;

These Nintendo-sponsored "Come here to our store 200 miles away at 12am on the day when the 6-foot blizzard hits to get your Legendary Pokemon or it's gone forever, bitch." events were cool when Mew was the only one. But the Ilex Forest shrine was real cheap - it's right THERE IN THE GAME, AND IT'S WORTHLESS. Yeah, having Lugia AND Ho-Oh in GSC kinda made up for it, but since then, the version-exclusive Legendaries have come along, and Jirachi and Deoxys was a double kick to the crotch in RSE...

And now we have Darkrai, Arceus, and Shaymin. THREE Pokemon. Is this necessary!? Pokemon games sell more than any other franchise on the planet - how much more fucking money does Nintendo need to make on these damn things?!

Dark Scizor
4th June 2008, 08:08 PM
Missed out on it, but I'm a Brit, so that goes without saying. And we'll never get a promotion like that over here.

Luckily someone released a .pkm file, so I'll be making myself a fake, but "legit" Darkrai using Pokésav. Or I'll trade it with someone who has multiple clones of Darkrai. Either way, I'm not fussed.

DarkestLight
4th June 2008, 11:30 PM
o.O Wait, why was Jirachi a kick to the crotch. It came on that stupid extra disc which took NO trouble to obtain. Hell I still have my copy :O.

Blademaster
5th June 2008, 03:10 PM
It came on that stupid extra disc which took NO trouble to obtain.

NEWS FLASH

I don't HAVE that disc. And I'm sure most of the rest of the 6.7 billion people on the planet don't have it, either.

DarkestLight
5th June 2008, 05:30 PM
o.o You want me to loan you my disc? I'd be more than happy to, seeing as I realyl don't feel like making you irate in this topic too >>

Blademaster
5th June 2008, 07:48 PM

The disc is reuseable?

Er... You can keep it... But... Wow. Making it reuseable for different consoles sounds kinda weird, by Nintendo standards...

Heald
5th June 2008, 08:31 PM
Nintendo? Do something that actually benefits the customer?

I don't believe it, but yet I'm not getting that pungent odour of bullshit that usually surrounds Nintendo's policy of raping its customers*.

* The policy being, yes, rape them hard, as often as possible and charge them the maximum amount we can for the privilege of being raped by us.

Also, make Europe and Australia wait 6 months after the Japan release date on all our best games. That'll teach them for siding with the USA in World War II!

DarkestLight
6th June 2008, 04:55 AM
o.o Yeah, see they still rape us. But they kinda forgot people have multiple copies of the game....

You can only get 1 Jirachi per game cart that you have. But if your cart never got a Jirachi on it-then yes, you can continually obtain it (more than one game cart=more than 1 jirachi) . The main reason they gave out this disc was to fix that weird clock issue they had with RS, so yeah.

But then XD? or some other game could fix the clock issue as well, but still. Yes the disc is reusable til the end of time.

Oh and surprise surprise-Nintendo World is giving away Darkrai all through June. Still raping us, but at least its longer than a damn day that they're doing it -.-

..not raping I mean. >>

Fai D. Flowright
9th June 2008, 01:35 AM
Actually, that's not quite right either... I have the disc as well, but you can get more than just one per cartridge.

Just like so many of us did in the old days with Red and Blue to get all of the starters on your team at one time (before Yellow), you can do the same with the demo disc and Jirachi. Getting Jirachi is based on the Trainer No. So each time you do a "New Game," you can get another Jirachi. I gave 5 or 6 out to my friends just by restarting my Ruby game over and over.

So yeah... If anyone wants a Jirachi, send me a PM! *has like, 10 legit ones* And each one comes with a Berry! XD