PDA

View Full Version : TPM DnD

Mystic_clown
30th April 2008, 12:05 AM
Recently, I have been attending a games club at my university and it was there that I got my first taste of DnD (Dungeons and Dragons for those who don't know). After looking at Houndoom_Lover's RPG "The House" which uses dice roles as part of the game play, I began wondering. What if we tried to play DnD here on TPM? How would that work?

During working this out, A second idea formed in my mind.

What if we created our own DnD? New races, classes, skills, feats, monsters, everything!

Since this is a TPM DnD, I figured that all of TPM (or at least, those who wat to participate) should have a hand in creating it.

So now, I ask you, would anyone want this to happen? Who will help me create this RPG Juggernaut?

Oh, and to the Mods, would I even be allowed to do this? I guess I should have mentioned this sooner ^_^;;

Houndoom_Lover
30th April 2008, 05:17 PM
Yes!! ^o^ House...you should all look at it for an example of dice play (<---Shameless plug)

In other news, I think that's a great idea to have a D&D section roleplay under the roleplay section! That'll...be neat....^_^ Yeah! I'll help if my help is needed.

OooooooOoooo= (<---A Catipillar)

Mew Master
1st May 2008, 10:39 AM
Well by definition then we can't just exclusively include DnD we have to think about the other RPGs out there that run off a dice system. For instnance: Big Eye Small Mouth, Fireborn, Call of Cuthullu, World of Darkness (Old and New), Deadlands.

We can't exclude all these awesome settings for only DnD though...

I RUN a Werewolf: The Forsaken RPG on the Collegiate Association of Table Top Gamers Forums (kindly set up by the one incharge of the organization... that and I'm the current President of the first Chapter of the National Group ^^U). As it stands I'm also going to see about getting some other Play-by-Post RPGs that use dice rolls as a means for resolving conflict (similar to the actual Games). I'd love more players [/shameless plug] and introduce them to the world of Darkness.

I'm also considering setting up a Fireborn and Marvel Universe RPG Forums for those specific games. That way all you need are the books, and we're ready to play!

Yeah.... I'm a GEEK (and damn proud of it ^^U)

Bulbasaur4
1st May 2008, 11:26 AM
I myself have been in several DnD campaigns and have had a hand in designing my own version of a Bleach RP dice-roll game and Dr.McNinja has designed a Naruto one. As of now, I am currently in AND hosting a Vampire of the Masquerade RP which I believe, runs better than DnD. (It's more about story telling and less about stats).

I doubt a whole section would be dedicated to DnD in the RP, just because you'd have to prove there was a need for it. If you want to do a DnD campaign, run it just like a normal RPG would with a sign-up topic and such. If you want to create new races and go that long route, then use this topic hear to discuss and do it. Once you implement your plan into action, create an RP topic for it just as you would any normal RP.

If Roy or Kirst disagrees, they can say so. This is just my opinion on the matter. But go for it! The more creative we get around here, the more active things will be. ^_^

Heald
1st May 2008, 11:48 AM
I would love a DnD, especially one that was as diverse as possible. Classes could range from Wizard to Pirate to Ninja, to more ludicrous ones such as Rock Star, Pikey, Pyromaniac, Pizza Delivery Boy, Juggler etc., with locations such as more traditional ones such as caves, castles, tombs to more fun ones such as ski resorts, a British pub, a funfair maybe? Anyway, the most important parts in my opinion are setting out a decent outset (i.e. why all these heroes are here anyway), developed classes, some cool monsters and pirates. You can never have enough pirates.

If you wanted, allow people to submit classes of their choice, and then maybe submit some beasties as well that need killing.

Blademaster
1st May 2008, 04:02 PM
^I like that idea. Having it be 'realistic' while at the same time still retaining base DnD elements would definitely be a perk - it'd probably intrigue non-familiars of DnD to give it a try, as well.

classy_cat18
1st May 2008, 04:13 PM
Why not? If I finally can get out my dusty bag of dice and the books that I only used once since my D&D buddies abandoned me left for marriage and Full Sail Institute, then I'm up for it.

Mystic_clown
1st May 2008, 05:13 PM
yay! people like my idea! ^_^

MewMaster: Hmmm, interesting. The idea of keeping the dice rolls for conflicts makes sense, since it leaves us much more time for actual roleplaying. Though the DM could also spring on some surprises to keep the story interesting (traps, secret treasure, ambushes, etc.)

Bulbasaur4: Thank you for your support *bows* Hopefully this will get everybody in the RPG forums a bit more active ^_^.

Heald: That is what I set up this topic for. I want everyone to get involved in its creation. If anyone has any ideas for places, classes, monsters, etc. please, let us know! We would be glad to have your ideas.

Blademaster and classy_cat18: Thank you for your support guys ^_^

Hmm, that reminds me. Do we have any volenteers to be DM? Who wants to give up being an actual character to be the omnipotent assman who torments our heroes for their own twisted amusement? Anyone? You must have dice though.

Mew Master
1st May 2008, 07:05 PM
Or a dice roller program. Which there are several that I use. However since I'm busy running the WoD for my players I can't really devote time to DnD especially since I don't care for the system that much :/

Mystic_clown
1st May 2008, 08:36 PM
Fair enough. I still hope you can contribute something to this.

Houndoom_Lover
1st May 2008, 09:12 PM
Why not? If I finally can get out my dusty bag of dice and the books that I only used once since my D&D buddies abandoned me left for marriage and Full Sail Institute, then I'm up for it.

^____^ Story of my life Miss. Classy_Cat!! I could be a DM, if need be, I'm pretty fresh with all the rules and have all the dice. I found my eight sided last night!!! ^___^u...though it would be nice to be a character for once...

^.^oo
ooo
ooo
ooo
ooo (<--- A face stealing jelly fish)

Weasel Overlord
2nd May 2008, 04:33 AM
Well, it's safe to say that this has my approval too, since I <3 D&D. :D

As for the dice rolling, heh, if we leave it to combat only (and stats, perhaps? it's more random that way, and then we won't have over-powered characters - it's something to think about) it'll be like those choose-your-own-path books that I used to read so often as a kid, lol. Those were damn fun. But the only problem with the fact that there's dice rolling online is that how will we know if people are being fair with the dice? In person, you can say OI! You didn't roll a natural 20! *slap* But online there's no way of seeing (unless there is and I am naive). In that scenario, perhaps all the dice rolling should be left to the DM. Although the problem with that is that people might say that the DM was biased in some way, etc.

Mystic_clown
2nd May 2008, 07:26 AM
I was thinking that as well. We would need to find a DM who we can be certain wont be biased. I was thinking of dice rolling for the stats as well, and have rerolls for if your character's either:

a) the equivilent of a feeble old man in a wheel chair.

or.

b) god incarnate.

Asilynne
2nd May 2008, 11:11 AM
For battles we can all have a set time to jump in aim or something, like in a chat room for this DnD and there everyone can see the rolls (AIM has a simple rolling thing built in). As an example a day like saturday can be an official battle day and everyone can be in the chat room at the same time to see the rolls commence. If someone wouldnt be able to make it to the chat for any reason thier rolls could be done by the gm, and that way there would be witnesses plus a chat log of each roll so there isnt any cheating. Plus the chat itself could be lots of in character fun, as real DnD gets to be lol I know in the campaigns Ive done it was sometimes more fun to laugh and joke about the things we were fighting than if we were just calling out numbers and stats ^-^

Something to think about :D

Weasel Overlord
2nd May 2008, 11:13 AM
That's a really good idea, but the main problem with it is time zones. I know a few people on here who are in England, and then there's Malaysia and Australia and then all you Americans, lol. It'd be tricky if not nigh on impossible to arrange a time when everyone's online at the same time.

Mystic_clown
2nd May 2008, 05:30 PM
Weasel has a bit of a point. Time zones are a bit difficult to monitor. And then there's those who don't have AIM at all (like me <.< >.>). Maybe a few people could be there to witness the dice rolling just to seem fair.

Mew Master
2nd May 2008, 05:41 PM
Well the thing is for combat you'd have to set up a roster, since everyone's actions are going to be dependant upon what happens.

Use a turn system.

TUrn 1: Slash at the Rouge
Turn 2: Use Spring attack on the wizard (if any) or hit the Rouge again.
Turn 3: Attack the Rouge oncemore if they haven't dropped. If not, then go after someone attacking another party mate.

A system like this works fairly well since the roster would limit who can post and whatnot. Then the DM can take that and build the combat and rolls from it.

Houndoom_Lover
2nd May 2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah! ^_^ And I'd like to point out, I'd be hornorable in my rolls ^_^

But...I have an idea *twists about* o^__^o I hope you like it! Our world could be based on the Mario world! Like, a race for example could be a Goomba, and a class would be Winged! ^_^ Wouldn't that be fun?

Mystic_clown
2nd May 2008, 11:55 PM
Mew Master: Well, for combat, I was thinking of something similar to ASB in a way. Each party member outlines what they'll do for the round, and then the DM tells what happened. In what order these things happen depends on each character's innitiative (innitiative rolls will be done by the DM)

Blademaster
3rd May 2008, 08:11 AM
I said it on MSN and I'll say it here: Giant robot fights.

Come on. Dungeons and Dragons + giant robot fights = the wet dream of every nerd on the planet.

Heald
3rd May 2008, 08:33 AM
Yeah, that's a good idea. Don't use dice rolls for movement, but for combat, you list what attacks you want to use and such, and then the DM rolls it.

I reckon there should be at least 3 different DMs, therefore at least one should be online once per day, otherwise it will suck if we're all waiting for one DM to roll the dice and his internet is dead or he happens to be especially lazy.

Anyway, I guess as far as character creation goes, instead of randomly deciding, each person gets a set amount of points and is allowed to allocate them in a number of fields i.e. strength, initiative, stamina, wisdom etc. Each DnD has a different set of fields, but usually there ought to be 6 or 7, at max 8. The thing we have to bear in mind is are we going to follow official rules or make up our own rules? I reckon making up our own ought to be very rewarding.

Blademaster
3rd May 2008, 10:21 AM
Anyway, I guess as far as character creation goes, instead of randomly deciding, each person gets a set amount of points and is allowed to allocate them in a number of fields i.e. strength, initiative, stamina, wisdom etc. Each DnD has a different set of fields, but usually there ought to be 6 or 7, at max 8.

Like in Fallout 2? Would each of these fields have a set limit, as well? I'm curious because from what little I know about D&D, each class has their own strengths and weaknesses, like the warriors being very strong and yet sucking HORRIBLY at stuff like agility and magic.

So, let's say we have a total of 6 fields: physical strength, magical strength, intelligence, stamina, initiative, and agility. And let's say that each player gets a total of... I dunno... 40 points. Would there be an upper limit to each class, like a max of ten points of agility/intelligence/whatever? Or would we be allowed to just spend them however we wish once we get them?

I'm personally more partial to the latter, if only because of the slim chance someone will join, spend all 40 or however many points on their wizard's magical strength, and then when a ninja pops up and chucks 50,000 shurikens on them and they have zilch in terms of physical strength and agility, they're boned. Heh.

Mew Master
3rd May 2008, 10:32 AM
Well, a Wizard's strength comes from high Intelligence and Wisdom *played DnD a time or two*, but yes, they usually have HORRIBLE physical stats. Because they're mortar cannons who shoots stuff from a distance.

If we DO go with a point system... Start with every base stat at 10

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Wisdom
Intelligence
Charisma

When rolling a character, players usually have a chance of getting anywhere from 9 to 18 for a sertian stat (Roll 4 d6's, take the three highest, re-roll 1s and 2s). So give them an extra 20 points to spend on increasing stats. Based upon the class, this will help them round out their characters. A Rouge's gonna have higher Intel and Dex than a Cleric, who'll have higher Wisdom and Stamina (depending on the build and class)

If you want to keep it TPM themed... let's use the Individual Forums as a base for Classes: Fan Ficcer, Fan Artist, Role Player, ASBer, PCGer, ect...

Actually.. if I remeber right. There was a PKMN Trainer oriented game similar to this, where the DM put together the stats from rolling dice and then we could play the character according to our strengths. It was pretty fun though...

Weasel Overlord
3rd May 2008, 10:38 AM
Personally, I like stats like Charisma and Wisdom too, that way if you don't want to play a straightforward character, you can spice it up a bit. Charisma is good for like, Bard-type characters, and Wisdom is a different kind of magic. It's not amazingly fair to ONLY have one kind of magic - speaking as someone who really hates playing Wizards or Sorcerers, I'd personally like Wisdom to be put in, or something closer to it anyway. You know, the stat that things like Divine magic relies on. (Note: I mostly say this cos I bum Druids and anything to do with Druids. I would really hate to use a Druid that had to use Wizardy magic. *shudders* That's just not right.)

And as for the Mario thing, what about the people who haven't played Mario? (like me, I've not played a single Mario game... but then, I generally dislike anything Nintendo except for my DS, so...) For the issue of races, it should be something more universal, that everyone has heard of. You know, elves and such. Although if we were gonna make up our own rules, then different races would be a nice place to start. Elves ARE cliché after all (I love 'em anyway!).

Perhaps we could use our own RPGs as a starting place for new races? Cos I know tons of people who invent their own for their RPGs, myself included. And I know that when I make a race, I generally put as much detail into them as I possibly can. I think that'd make for a nice, original D&D style game that's not overdone in any way.

EDIT: DAMN Mew Master got there before me. But *cough* Wizards don't use Wisdom... they use Intelligence... ¬_¬ Wisdom is for Paladins and Druids and the like, not Sorcerers and Wizards.

Blademaster
3rd May 2008, 10:39 AM
Well, a Wizard's strength comes from high Intelligence and Wisdom *played DnD a time or two*, but yes, they usually have HORRIBLE physical stats. Because they're mortar cannons who shoots stuff from a distance.

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Wisdom
Intelligence
Charisma

When rolling a character, players usually have a chance of getting anywhere from 9 to 18 for a sertian stat (Roll 4 d6's, take the three highest, re-roll 1s and 2s). So give them an extra 20 points to spend on increasing stats. Based upon the class, this will help them round out their characters. A Rouge's gonna have higher Intel and Dex than a Cleric, who'll have higher Wisdom and Stamina (depending on the build and class)

If you want to keep it TPM themed... let's use the Individual Forums as a base for Classes: Fan Ficcer, Fan Artist, Role Player, ASBer, PCGer, ect...

What?

I have no clue what the Hell you just said. I thought we were gonna make our own original dice RPG, not take D&D's crazy jargon and formula and put a TPM spin on it. If the latter is what we're doing, count me out.

Weasel Overlord
3rd May 2008, 10:52 AM

On thinking about it, I have a problem with starting every base stat at 10. It would really hinder creativity! What if you wanted to make a Bard who was really REALLY bad at everything but his singing and his charisma? If it was me, I'd have Strength, Constitution, everything but Charisma and Intelligence at lower than 10, (although actually, do you need Wis for Bard's songs? Can't remember...)

Yes, so I don't think we should start stats at a certain amount. Let people decide what they want for themselves.

And Blade has a point here. D&D is a bugger for anyone who's not seen a core rulebook (and even for those who have, but not in a long time - like me).

Intelligence - well, this one is straightforward. A wizardy type class needs to have high Intelligence (or Int.) to be able to cast their spells.
Strength - self-explanatory (Str.). Strong man = good fighter. Low strength = pussy.
Charisma - does your character like to bluff their way through life? Cha. is your stat. Great for Bards and party leaders.
Wisdom - how wise are you? Druids, Clerics, Paladins, etc. For whoever relies on the gods for their magic, rather than spellbooks, etc. (Wis.)
Dexterity - good with weapons? Rangers and shiz need TONS of Dex. Otherwise they just drop their bows and chop off their own feet. ROGUES *points to proper spelling* too, I do believe.
Constitution - how well you can, well, survive a smack in the face. High Con. = hard bastards. Low Con. = wizards and their ilk. Namby pamby buggers.

Houndoom_Lover
3rd May 2008, 12:40 PM
Awww! Look how this is eveloving ^___^ And yes, it was just an idea, though you should get some Mario games.

Herald, I'm noticing a lack of Fawful from you -.-

Mystic_clown
3rd May 2008, 06:38 PM
Hmm, I'm not exactly sure about the points system, since it has the potential to make characters either greatly overpowered (both of Mew Master's models) or underpowered (Blademaster's model). I would still prefer the dice system since it adds a bit of chance and still has the potential to give you a balanced character.

Hmm, actually creating a world based on TPM would seem interesting. Due the numerous amounts of genres we have, we could incorperate almsot anything (giant robot battles for you Blademaster ^_^). We could try to expand on your idea for classes Mew Master.

Hmm, taking races from our RPGs. interesting. It would add to the tpm theme, plus making thinking of races easier.

hmmm, I've got a small idea on what we could add. correct me if I'm wrong, but in regular DnD, a character leveled up after completing a campaign right? Well, I was thinking that each monster gives you a bit of exp and after getting a certain amount, the character levels up, just like pokemon! XD

Blademaster is now LV3

Blademaster is evolving!

Hmm, now that I think of it, maybe encorperating an evolution system or something? *shrugs* maybe different levels in classes.

Mew Master
4th May 2008, 01:10 AM
Actually a character gained EXP depending on what happened during the session (sitting down and gaming for a few hours). When they hit their regular cap they hit their next level. Not unlike in PKMN or Platform RPGs excpet it's not always at the end of a battle. It's at the end of the session...

Mystic_clown
4th May 2008, 04:11 AM
Fair enough, but since this could be considered one long session, it would make sense to level them up when they reach the cap, not at the end of the session.

I've been thinking about that small joke I made in my last post. How does this idea sound.

Evolving classes.

When a character reaches a certain level of a particular class, that class recieves an upgrade of sorts, gaining them access to feat and skills they couldn't before, but in turn restricts them from others they could have before. These evolved classes could also alter the characters current stat modifiers.

Blademaster
4th May 2008, 05:54 AM
Does that mean my giant robot battles will have to wait until my guy levels up? I'm thinking of a character that's a Mechanic (Yes, I made that Class/Race up. So sue me.)... Is he gonna have to start out not knowing how to fix my toaster and build up to giant mechas or something?

(looks up how big a robot has to be in order to be considered a 'mecha')

Also, DnD has maps, right? What's our... um... location (I guess) gonna be? Some weird Middle Earth-type place that doesn't exist, or a real country/state/island/whatever? The latter would be pretty entertaining... Running across random groups of 'monsters' (like Mexicans) and kicking their asses for EXP. It'll be like Risk: Pokemon Edition.

Mystic_clown
4th May 2008, 06:03 AM
Well, if we do have a class like mechanic, he/she would probably start off with a fair bit of mechanical knowledge (reprograming turret guns to shoot the other guy) but yeah, I think it would be best to save the mechs until a certain level (or in events that actually require them).

As for the location, well, Mew Master's TPM idea did give me a small idea. Maybe some of the major cities could be named after the different parts of the forums, such as fanfictia, anstyba (ANime STYle Battling), Roplaga (ROle PLAying Games), etc. But we'll worry a bit about locations a little later.

Oh, and Blade. I think I speak for every guy here when I say your sig is very painful to look at.

Blademaster
4th May 2008, 06:47 AM
Then I have done my job.

LOOK AT IT, YOU WIMPS!

Mew Master
4th May 2008, 09:25 AM
GAH! IT BUUUUURNS!

Lady Vulpix
4th May 2008, 09:45 AM
If you want a dice roller program, here's one that keeps a record of each player/character's rolls:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Rolls.html

And here you can see a sample roll (http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/ViewRollByNumber.php?RollNumber=7676) and a form to view all rolls by a certain character (http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Search.html).

Blademaster
4th May 2008, 07:56 PM
I reckon there should be at least 3 different DMs, therefore at least one should be online once per day, otherwise it will suck if we're all waiting for one DM to roll the dice and his internet is dead or he happens to be especially lazy.

If you want a dice roller program, here's one that keeps a record of each player/character's rolls:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Rolls.html

And here you can see a sample roll (http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/ViewRollByNumber.php?RollNumber=7676) and a form to view all rolls by a certain character (http://members.lycos.co.uk/noentiendo/Search.html).

If we implement a multi-DM system, I suppose I could be one, since I'm here so often. That link looks easy to use, too.

If someone can just tell me what a 'Modifier' is, I think I'd be able to handle the dice records just fine.

Lady Vulpix
4th May 2008, 08:36 PM
It's a bonus that some rolls get (it may be negative too). It's used when, for some reason, you need to add something to the result of the roll.

For example, if you're using a magical object that improves your accuracy, you may have to add something to the result of your hitting roll. While, if carrying a heavy load, you may have to substract something (that would be a negative modifier) to the result of your running roll.

Note that with this site the players themselves can roll the dice, as long as they know what it is they have to roll. Since there site keeps a record of all the rolls by each character, they wouldn't be able to lie about the results.

Mystic_clown
5th May 2008, 06:25 PM
Hmm, with this system, we could even let the DM have a character as well, since they can't lie about it as well (during my latest DnD session, the DM also had a character, a little halfling whom I wanted to kick)

Mystic_clown
8th May 2008, 05:08 PM
Sorry for the double post, but does anyone else have any ideas? Probably for setting or classes or such?

Heald
8th May 2008, 06:20 PM
Well, some people have vested an interest in it being set in the forums, whereas others have suggested classic DnD (i.e. dungeons, elves, magic etc) whereas some others have suggested future settings (robots, ninjas, mechas etc.). So I guess if you're the progenitor of the DnD, you could either choose the setting yourself, or make a poll for the ideas, or, my personal favourite, everyone posts a particular idea and setting, with a detailed background and class-list, and then make a new topic polling what the DnD should be.

Mystic_clown
8th May 2008, 08:10 PM
I like your third idea Heald. Everyone, if you have an idea on what setting and such this should be, please post your idea and we'll have a poll. Try to include a bit of information about your world and a class list.

Asilynne
9th May 2008, 03:01 PM
Since were all posting what wed like to see in a DnD type game Ill post my idea :D
Id really like to see some sort of a DnD version of A Wheel of Time series. The world in the Wheel of time is so rich and detailed it would be perfect for this sort of thing.
As you can see in this map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Map-randland.jpg
There are many different cities/provences for a character to hail from, and because of this there are a number of classes that one could choose from.
As an example, Domani's are famous for having sly merchants and also for having the most dangerous women in terms of seduction, while the Cairheinians are modest and so restrained they rarely wear colors at all, but are very adept at "The Game of Houses" (which is basically being a backstabbing politician). There are the "savage" Aiel that fight with spears and live in tribes but would never touch a sword from the desert called the Waste, and the Tinkers who travel in what looks like big circus trains who wouldnt do harm to anyone even to save thier own lives.
If we did do a DnD of this though we wouldnt have to go according to the events that happen in the series of novels, we could just set it in this world, because this world is so detailed in everything its almost as if its a real place. Im not sure how many people are fans of it but whether you know about it or not it would be cool imo :>

Heres a link for more info just in case someones curious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time

Weasel Overlord
9th May 2008, 03:17 PM
Ugh, not Wheel of Time... If we're wanting to go for detailed and rich worlds, no-one does it better than the man Tolkien. Or did it... ¬_¬

No but seriously. I have issues with the man's storytelling - let's face it, half of Fellowship bored the crap out of me, but he sure put detail into his world creation. Enough to inspire my obsession with stupidly detailed worlds, anyway.

Also: My intense dislike of Wheel of Time is an informed decision. M'not trying to flame Mr. Jordan or anything, I just reaaaally hated his books (which is odd, coming from a person who pretty much likes ALL fantasy she reads). Also, if we're suggesting nice detailed worlds to use, I might as well go ahead and shove in a mention for Ian Irvine, whose worlds and maps and everything are AWESOMELY detailed. But then again, we could all chip in with our favourite book worlds and get nowhere closer to a decision. A solid list for a poll might be a good idea though.

I do like the idea of having the forums though, whoever mentioned that (I forget who). Cos then if we did that, we could tie in my personal favourite idea (lol) of using our own created races from our RPGs. It'd be a much more RPG-orientated version of D&D, rather than just basically having D&D with a book world slapped in.

That's my suggestions.

1) Tolkien
2) Ian Irvine (lol, I bet no-one's even heard of him!)
3) TPM Land. Plus our own races/class-creations.

I'm much more in favour of 3, cos it seems to me that if we started off with an established world, we'd get stuck in the trap of thinking we had to stick with that worlds' rules, characters, classes, races, etc. TPM Land has the possibility for much more originality.

Heald
9th May 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm working on a TPM-stylie land. Watch this space. It'll be done within the next day or so.

Weasel Overlord
9th May 2008, 03:54 PM
Waaay! Go Heald! :D

Heald
9th May 2008, 05:59 PM
I know. I mean, I have other priorities, such as, oh, I don't know, maybe trying to pass university, but, for some reason, people crazier than the people I happen to share an immediate radius with come first. Maybe I just ought to staple "Pokemon, Pirates, Ninjas" onto my forehead so people know what my priorities are before they introduce themselves to me so I know who is compatible to my lifestyle and who isn't before I undertake some sort of lifestyle.

Blademaster
9th May 2008, 11:41 PM
Book-themed worlds... Pfft. You people have zero imagination. Come up with yer own ideas, dammit! Back in my day, we didn't have books to steal our ideas from! Matter of fact, we didn't have books, period! We had to read rocks and brontosaurus femurs with mud smeared on them. And some of those rocks were the size of the brontosaurus themselves! Do you know how long it took to bring those back to the library? No you don't, because we didn't have libraries, either...!

(goes off on a long-winded tirade about everything)

Heald
10th May 2008, 11:27 AM
Right, it's a bit long, but it gives a fairly detailed outline of the plan. Feel free to recommend changes, additions or removals, since you're the people that are going to play it.

Setting

Steampunk-style world. Pokemastaria.

Very little electricity, primitive, only used for lighting and telecommunications (public telephones, law enforcement, big companies, the very rich and delivery services are the only people with their own phones).

Weaponry consists mostly of pre-gunpowder weaponry, although armies are beginning to implement cannons, flintlock rifles and pistols have just been invented and are only made by specialists, so are hard to get hold of, expensive and have yet to be implemented widespread. The military has yet to implement any sort of firearms unit.

Trains, hot-air balloons, blimps and horse and cart are the main methods of transport, whereas wooden sail ships are the main water vessels, although iron steamships are beginning to become more common.

There is some magic, although its use is dwindling with the rise of technology. The exception is Ludo, where mages are held in high regard.

Anyone unsure about other forms of technology, just ask.

Beasts range from the normal (i.e. dogs, wolves, birds, fish) to the fantastic (ogres, dragons, werewolves) to the downright scary (giant snakes, giant beetles etc).

Each city governs the immediate area around them; there is no central government, although at present the cities of Miscelopolis, Anima, Logus, Fanfasia and Clasonia are allied together, with their armies answering to a group of 20 Mods and 4 Admins. Mods are powerful people and answer directly to the Admins, who are considered legendary and are rarely seen. This administration, known simply as K.E.V.I.N., is based in Miscelopolis, although they have branches across the five cities.

Geography

Diverse world with cities, townships, different races etc.

Clicky for map (http://www.b3tards.com/u/f94979c65cdf16050eb2/map.jpg)

(map courtesy of fantasymapmaker.com)

Miscelopolis – city-state and the largest city, several districts ranging from poor to market to high society. Ruled with an iron fist by both a monarchy and a council of lords, but crime is fairly high. Has the most powerful military in the world.

Genediscus – The greatest city 1000 years ago, until a powerful sandstorm cut it off from the world and the land is now desert and waste-land. Thought to be long-lost, no one has reported back from it for 1000 years, nor has anyone who has set out to find it returned.

Anima – A small coastal port known for its love for theatre. A generally friendly place with a small defence force but a strong navy. Has many alehouses.

Isla de Balla – A hostile island with giant trees and overgrowing vegetation. Many beasts and birds of all shapes and sizes inhabit the island, along with small encampments of visiting hunters. Popular with adventurers.

The PCG Archipelago (Pol, Clubdh and Gamen) – Pol, the largest island, has the main town and port of the archipelago. It distances itself from the issues of the mainland and enjoys a liberal culture with a humid subtropical climate, and as such is prone to storms as well as hot spells. There is little in the way of authority, as although a Lord is elected, there is only a small defence contingent that does not interfere with the large seafaring community, many of which are pirates, who invigilate their own codes on those who transgress them. Clubdh and Gamen are havens for pirates.

Ludo – The second largest city, they are the rivals of Miscelopolis. The land is dry and harsh and there is a strict mentality. They are somewhat behind technologically speaking but boast the largest arcane community, many of the most skilled magicians lie in their ranks. It is more traditional and conservative than Miscelopolis and the people are instilled to be loyal to the King, resulting in high patriotism and a dislike of outsiders.

Rolesplatia Range, Logus - The harshest mountain range in the land, snowstorms are common and the terrain treacherous. Logus is the one town, the jewel of the mountains, where travellers and inhabitants meet. Logus is surrounded by high stone walls with a fine keep in the centre, and keeps a town watch. People here are generally poorer than the rest of the world but the people have high spirits.

Fanfasia – Another port, there is a very enjoyable lifestyle here and boasts many of the most talented artists, writers, poets and philosophers in the land. Not a belligerent nation, they tend to rely on their more powerful allies Miscelopolis for protection, but crime is not a problem internally.

Clasonia – A small town basking in the shade of Mount Ratus, there is a productive industry of miners, farmers and fishers here.

Races

Humans
Nekojin (Cat-people)
Elves
Dwarfs
Halflings
Any other suggested races? I was thinking lizardmen as well.

Attributes

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Wisdom
Intelligence
Charisma

Classes

I made some forum-based classes as well as more traditional ones. If anyone has any they’d like to add, change, or take away, please say so.

Trainer – An animal trapper. Can capture animals, beasts etc. and use them to fight. Requires wisdom.

Summoner – A magic user who calls upon a familiar (takes the form of some kind of creature or beast) from another dimension to aid them. The familiar levels up with the user. Requires wisdom.

Warrior – Your basic fighter really. Strength is the key characteristic, and constitution if he’s a tank.

Muse – Any sort of entertainer or artist who applies their work in the field i.e. a poet reciting a battle-hymn, an artist bringing his work to life, an actor striking fear into their enemies. Requires charisma.

Mage – A user of arcane magic. Requires intelligence.

Roleplayer – Mimics the skills and powers of others, although to a lesser effect, but can result in diverse movesets. Can only remember a certain number of actions per level (say 4 + level divided by 4). Must be at the required level to copy (i.e. a level 4 mage spell requires level 4 or above roleplayer), plus must attempt a passing roll for the initial copy (but not for any subsequent use). Cannot mimic certain actions (such as summoning a familiar). Requires charisma.

Flamer – High damage, high risk class, with specialist attacks. Requires dexterity and/or strength depending on their skills.

Rogue – Dexterity is key for the sneak attacker.

Druid – Harnesses the power of nature itself to cast spells. Requires wisdom.

Battlemonk – A powerful warrior who uses high Charisma to boost his stats by yelling in battle and frightening the enemy.

Weasel Overlord
10th May 2008, 12:37 PM
Hm, in races, how about something like orcs? Or you know, half-orcs or something (which would necessitate there actually BEING orcs in this world, but there you go). I like the idea of Lizardmen and the Nekojin remind me of the cat folk from FFXI.

For the magey types, what would you think about having Sorcerer and Wizard? (I know, I know, D&D, bad me! But it's still a good setup.) The Sorcerers are the ones who rely on their own natural talents to cast their spells, and the Wizards are the ones who have to rely on scrolls, spellbooks, etc. Written forms, basically. And they can only use them if they have the scrolls, whereas a Sorcerer knows the spells, and does not need scrolls to cast them.

How about adding a Ranger class to complement the Druid? (YAY for the Druids, by the way. :D I <3 Druids.) Would the Druids have the option to have animal companions, by the way?

Bulbasaur4
10th May 2008, 12:46 PM
Yeah, good set up yah got there. I'd open the floor to Shamans too, just because my favorite DnD charry I ever played was a Spirit Shaman. The Swashbuckler class is always a joy too. ^_~ Perhaps create a slot that allows someone to make a up a class, within reason? (perhaps either you or a group of people go over made-up classes and decide whether to approve or not to approve them.)

Weasel Overlord
10th May 2008, 12:55 PM
OH SWASHBUCKLER!! YES HAVE THEM!! The only thing that will make me NOT play a Druid is if we have swashbucklers... *runs away*

Heald
10th May 2008, 12:59 PM
I wanted to mess around from the original D&D but still staying faithful to what people need. I only really put druids in because you mentioned you love them in an earlier post.

As for Rangers, I was thinking of mixing them in with Trainers so we don't oversaturate the classes, plus Trainer stays in theme with the TPM theme I'm trying to establish.

I decided to combine Wizard and Sorcerer as one class (Mage) since while I acknowledge there are some pretty important differences in classic D&D, this allows it to be a lot more flexible. Plus we have 3 charisma-reliant classes already. However, if enough people want to split them up, I'll happily do so.

As for orcs, I figured orcs are in pretty much everything, and I thought lizard men are cooler. Orcs are usually seen as evil anyway, whereas lizard men often are simply another civilization that can co-exist with warm-blooded species.

And of course any reasonable cross-breeds are acceptable (although I'm not too sure about lizardman cross-breeds). I haven't figured out any particular buffs and skills that each race gets yet, but I'll probably stick to the D&D rules for the known races.

Also, one more thing I wanted to add but left out was the idea of guilds or houses. Basically, your character can belong to a particular house (I was thinking 5 houses in total) which would bestow certain buffs and abilities onto your character, or being houseless would result in being more versatile across the board. Anyway, any comments of this particular idea would be helpful.

EDIT Swashbucklers are traditionally a subset of Fighter (i.e. they use feats and skills that can only be done by people wearing light armour), which I've incorporated into Warrior. You can detail what kind of fighter you're going to be in your character sheet.

I'm unfamiliar with shamans in DnDs though. Aren't they like druids except they are more spontaneous, like sorcerers? If you want, you can outline shamans and their particular abilities, skills and their main attribute.

Blademaster
10th May 2008, 01:12 PM
The world of Healdtann...Er, POKEMASTARIA looks respectable, but the thought of technology being so scarce troubles me.

Heald
10th May 2008, 01:17 PM
To be fair, traditional DnD has no technology whatsoever, which would just be BORING.

Weasel Overlord
10th May 2008, 02:29 PM
But it's steampunk Bladey! Wihch means that any technology there is, is made of extra awesome! I love steampunk. XD

I see your point now about the Rangers/Trainers, and the Mage combined class. People can always make subclasses, after all.

Also, I really like the idea of Houses. Is that like, um, starsigns in Morrowind? Or is it more like Guilds you belong to?

Heald
10th May 2008, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I initially thought would be a good comparison, although it has more of a real world weight as well, as these Houses are actual political entities, for example, one house might emphasise magic, one might emphasise charisma, one might have a taste for the theatrical, whatever. But if you happen into a town with the headquarters of a particular house, you might be granted some goodies if it is your house and you decide to visit. Alternatively, randomly a rival house member may try and off you, or a NPC in your house might impart some information onto you.

Weasel Overlord
10th May 2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I like that idea then. I was gonna edit in something else before, but I forgot it. Have remembered now.

How about alignments? You know, evil, good, neutral, chaotic? Chaotic neutral, neutral good, chaotic evil, &c? It could provide extra fun details to add to our characters.

Bulbasaur4
10th May 2008, 04:48 PM
I think instead of having alignments... we should have inner and outer 'traits'. Like in Vampire of the Masquerade, there is an outer 'role' your character plays, which is how they seemto be to others. Then there is an 'inner' role your character plays that no one sees. For example, let me say that my charry, a male mage named Dimitri, has the outer role of a 'Director.' This means he likes to take lead and does things quite blatantly for his own purpose. But in the inside, he is the "Judge" because he secretly is doing things from his own motives on his view of justice... etc.

We could make up our own roles and such.

Blademaster
10th May 2008, 08:31 PM
To be fair, traditional DnD has no technology whatsoever, which would just be BORING.

Yeah, but it's kinda hard to have giant robot fights with virtually no technology...

I'm gonna put up my own ideas once I get some sleep. So, uh... Don't close this topic or anything, OK Ben?

Mystic_clown
10th May 2008, 09:23 PM
Dave, I couldn't close this topic even if I wanted to. I don't have the power.

A quick question Heald. With the Roleplayers, I'm assuming they can copy the abilities of their allies, but can they copy the abilities of enemies as well, provided they're the same level or higher?

Drusilla
10th May 2008, 11:42 PM
I think the phrase 'traditional DnD' in itself is an oxymoron, since one of the ideas behind DnD is to create your own world. I know plenty of people who have had such far-fetched things in their games (lazer guns seem popular...), that it borders on ridiculous.

Drusie doesn't currently have her thinking cap on (her thoughts are somewhere along the lines of, 'AHHHHH ZOMG THE SUNBURN IS KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!'), but hit me up later on MSN... I should be on tomorrow evening around 10:30, -5 GMT, once I'm off work...

Heald
11th May 2008, 05:13 AM
Dave, I couldn't close this topic even if I wanted to. I don't have the power.

A quick question Heald. With the Roleplayers, I'm assuming they can copy the abilities of their allies, but can they copy the abilities of enemies as well, provided they're the same level or higher?
Yeah, they can, provided that the enemy completes the move successfully, then the roleplayer copies it successfully.

Weasel Overlord
11th May 2008, 07:29 AM
Like Mimic in Final Fantasy. Or Blue Magic (learning enemy skills). :D Would the Roleplayer then keep any actions they learned in that day? And then would the slate be wiped clean for the next day, and they'd be left with nothing again? Perhaps we could implement some sort of permanent abilities, if that's the case. You know, that really rare monsters or boss-types can carry. Cos I dunno, the thought of not knowing anything until you meet an enemy/roleplay one of your party is a bit depressing. They'd be slightly useless if that was the case, until they got their abilities.

And if I'm totally taking that the wrong way, then hurrah! It's just like Blue Magic! *does a happy Final Fantasy dance*

Heald
11th May 2008, 08:21 AM
Roleplayer – Mimics the skills and powers of others, although to a lesser effect, but can result in diverse movesets. Can only remember a certain number of actions per level (say 4 + level divided by 4). Must be at the required level to copy (i.e. a level 4 mage spell requires level 4 or above roleplayer), plus must attempt a passing roll for the initial copy (but not for any subsequent use). Cannot mimic certain actions (such as summoning a familiar). Requires charisma.

Yes, the Roleplayer will keep them. Your basic level 1 Roleplayer can remember up to 4 things per level. For every 4 levels, you get one more move, so a level 4 can remember 5, a level 8 can remember 6 etc.. These moves can range from spells to feats to passive actions, and once remembered they roll as normal. The main drawbacks of roleplayers are that they have no moves of their own, and not only do they need high enough charisma to successfully copy (I'll explain the exact rules if this setting gets chosen) but they will need to choose what other attributes they want. A roleplayer with low intelligence will not do well copying mage spells, and a roleplayer with low strength will be useless at warrior's feats.

They can attempt to learn any of their party's moves at any time, but must be in battle to copy an enemy's action.

On another note, I am considering allowing the Mage to follow the paths of Wizard (Intelligence), Sorcerer (Charisma) and Cleric (Wisdom), since these determine the source of their magic. As mentioned before, Wizards are studious Mages who use spellbooks and scrolls and have trained throughout their lives, Sorcerers rely on their innate power to call upon spells and Clerics use the power of a heavenly, supernatural or metaphysical entity for their power.

As for the technological side of things, one idea I did originally toy with but decided not to include in the original synopsis was the introduction of steam-vehicles and stuff, such as steambots, steamtanks and even steam-mecha (that giant spider thing out of Wild Wild West comes to mind) could feature. The steamtanks and mecha could feature as both allies and enemies, and steambots could be NPCs, allies, enemies or even part of a new Engineer class who uses steambots to fight for him. Any thoughts?

Blademaster
12th May 2008, 01:10 AM
OK, since I've been called out, I'm gonna toss out my ideas. And likely be shot down for being too different from the DnD norm, but... meh. Here goes.

Overworld

The setting is a futuristic world (Here's where everyone stops reading.). The 'dungeons and dragons' of old have been long-since replaced by strongholds made of crystal (More on that later.) and winged machines built for battle.

The futuristic world of... Named-Not-Announced is home to a technology unlike any seen on Earth as of yet. Much like how Earth's technology has evolved from primitive stone tools to wooden crafts and vehicles to metal-based electrical and mechanical devices, so has Name-Not-Announced's technology evolved over the centuries, but they've evolved past machines (to an extent, much how we still use stone and wood) to the next step: crystal.

Crystal technology could best be compared to the Crystal Core of the Gradius series:

EDIT: Since Tripod's being a bitch, just go to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlBrhFc7wrk&feature=related) video; it appears at 1:15.

In other words, crystal armor, crystal guns, certain crystalline lifeforms... I could go into the technological details, but I don't wanna chase away the probably 2 people still reading this. If anyone actually GOES for this idea, I'll elaborate.

As far as magic goes, it's here, don't worry. Though unlike in traditional DnD, it's more scientific. Take, for instance, a basic life-restoring potion. In this world, such a thing would be, say, a mixture of steroids and cell-repairing nutrients as opposed to a nameless hodgepodge of ingredients put together by a creepy old guy in a pointy hat. :P

As far as the world itself goes, NNA is, in keeping with the TPM theme, composed of different 'continents':

Pokemasters Continent: The NNA equivalent of North America/the U.S.A., this land is rather large and composed primarily of working-class citizens and uneducated monkeys who tend to say/do what they want before thinking about it. The crime rate is the highest on the planet, and contact with the rest of the world is... well, let's just say these guys are well-known, and not necessarily for good things. One of the rulers here is rumored to be a Communist.
Games Continent: NNA's England. A fairly small, quiet island, the Games Continent is a technological wonder where various sporting events are held on a regular basis. The people here are peaceful enough, and the rulers are fairer than most, but be warned - these guys are no pushovers.
Anime Continent: The NNA equivalent of Australia. Sparsely populated, this desertlike continent is home to NNA's fiercest wildlife and is home mostly to nomadic creatures. The largest city here is an oasis near the coast, known as ASB. Ruled by a council of FOUR Moderators and home to a population of vicious battlers, you'd best not piss these guys off.
Fanwork Continent: NNA's Japan, this place is small, but heavily populated and home to some of the most innovative and knowledgeable people in NNA. The technological center of the world, this place is known for exporting pretty much anything, anywhere, anytime. Add to that a Council of FIVE Moderators and you've got yourself THE place to live in NNA.
Interactive Continent: The bastard red-headed stepchild of Fanwork. (Lol.)
OK, seriously, this place is very similar to Fanwork and Games in that it is home to both regular competitions and is a major exporting continent, of both information and technology. The technology often associated with being 'magic' is prominently used here and was once a pretty rowdy place (much like the first continent), but it has since calmed down quite a bit.
Archive Continent: NNA's Antarctica. This tiny island is entirely uninhabited by humans, home instead to a massive library known instead as 'The Archives.' These Archives are home to all the history of the planet, logged in what could best be described as a crystal fortress armed to the teeth with manmade defenses, crystalline droids that maintain the facility, and enough computer encryptions to kill a hacker of old age before he/she could get through them all, all at the heart of a multi-environmental island that surrounds the fortress on all sides and is full of different fearsome creatures. In other words, this place is Hell. Enjoy your visit.

Each continent has a Council of two or more Mods. These guys enforce pretty much everything that goes on in their continent and in turn are monitored by the 'ruler' of each continent, who is known as an Admin (Admins and SuperMods are grouped together for convenience purposes):

Pokemasters: Zak
Games: Chris
Anime: Little_Pikachu
Fanwork: Andrew
Interactive: Lady Vulpix
Archives: Kevin

The Admins don't do much unless they are forced to. In which case, you most likely have no chance to survive and had best make your time.

Races

Humans: Uh... Self-explanatory...?
Droids: Humanoids made of crystal. Unlike modern robots, these creatures are sentient. They are quite durable.
Cyborgs: Half-human, half-droid. Stronger and smarter than humans, but also more vulnerable than droids and humans. Twice the strengths, twice the weaknesses. C'est la vie.
Altumans: A humanlike race that relies less on technology and more on their natural strengths and weaknesses. They are intelligent and highly nimble creatures.
Techumans: A human-made race. The polar opposite of altumans, they are weak, but they wield 'magical' technology expertly.
Otherworlders: Aliens. Some are peaceful, some are vicious. But they're all pretty smart.

Attributes

Playing off the attribute systems of Pokemon itself, I made this list:

Fortitude: HP, essentially. How durable you are defensively, this gauges things like recovery time and resistances to certain attacks.
Strength: Offensive and defensive capabilities. Determines physical fitness.
Wisdom: Capability for 'special attack/defense,' this determines other kinds of strength besides your own bodies and dictates what kind of 'magical' and technological offenses and defenses you can perform.
Agility: Speed and reflexes. A strong opponent is easily rendered useless if you're too fast for them to hit.
Intelligence: While Wisdom is the 'know-how,' Intelligence is simply the 'know.' If you're intelligent, you open up lots of potential for other attributes (i.e., say you're intelligent and agile, as well. You'd make for a great covert operator. Intelligent and wise? Congrats, you're using Thundaja while the next wise guy is still stuck on Thunder/Thundaga [Thanks to Crys for the FF spell edumacation. ^^'].).
Charisma: Personality, essentially. Being good-looking and/or a smooth talker has its perks, mirite guyz?

Occupations

Unlike traditional 'classes,' I decided to take a different approach and forego this field entirely in favor of out-and-out jobs. Occupations allow you to earn money which in turn allows you to buy and upgrade weapons, items, accessories, armor, etc.. In this way, a video game RPG system is introduced, like MC mentioned earlier.

That being said, there's a very broad range of occupations. Listing them all would be pointless, since pretty much any real-life job could apply and somebody could easily concoct their own.

But I can at least offer some examples based off of Heald's list:

-A Muse could be an actor, an artist, a writer (or Fanficcer, if you prefer), or whatever else fits into the field of entertaining.
-Or a Flamer (Love that idea, Heald.) could be someone else who 'defies the system,' so to speak. Bounty hunters, assassins, and mercenaries for hire would all fit in this category.

Keep in mind, though, that different Occupations don't require the same Attributes. An assassin, for instance, would require heightened agility, while a bounty hunter wouldn't. So, while certain Occupations may stem from the same Class, in the end, each Occupation is different and therefore must be treated differently, and not as the DnD class that it initially descended from.

Lastly, depending on the Occupation you choose, whoever you work for will pay you. You'll be paid for completed jobs and not paid or even be charged for screwing up. Do good enough, and you'll be promoted. That means more money, but it'll also mean you need higher levels of your Attribute, too.

For instance, say you start off with a sucktastic 2 points of Strength, 3 of Agility, and 5 for Intelligence. Congrats, you're a... uh... let's say, Pizza Boy (Once again, Heald FTW.). Do your job successfully, and you get paid... oh... $10 from your boss. You also gain some experience. Gain enough, and you can move on to the next 'level,' gain an Attribute point (or however it'll work) and become Assistant Manager. Or you can devote the point(s) you earned to an Attribute, like Strength, quit, and get a new job moving heavy boxes and stuff for $25 per job.

This is just a brainstorm on my part and may or may not complicate things, but it introduces a classic RPG element into the system: gaining money to buy and/or upgrade your weapons, armor, accessories, items, and the like. It's like Final Fantasy meets Dungeons & Dragons...

...Wow. An RPG...

...About an RPG...

...ABOUT AN RPG.

:o

FINAL NOTE: All names are subject to change, and all categories are subject to addition, removal, alteration, and the like. This is just a rough draft of my idea.

Coming soon: Teh l33t MSPaint map of teh 0verw0r1d.

Heald
12th May 2008, 05:27 AM
I think before we go into any more detail of any ideas, I reckon we should give people time to post any of their suggested ideas, then we can perhaps make a Poll and vote for an idea, and then collectively we can begin to choose what rules and stuff once we have chosen our setting.

Ideally, anyone who wants to post an idea (at the moment, only me and Blade have posted original settings, whereas Asilynne and Weasel have suggested using a book or such as the setting) should post it in the next week, then the poll ought to be up in the week after, then after that we spend a fortnight tinkering with the chosen idea. In this ideal timeframe, we ought to be up and running in about 4 weeks.

I'd like to suggest that once we actually start, the first 'quest' as such is just a prologue that won't bear so much on the story but just to test out the rules so once that is completed, people can post what their grievances were so the rules can be amended and then the real thing can go along.

Mystic_clown
12th May 2008, 07:40 AM
We were planning on doing a poll once we've got enough ideas. Yeah, so far we've got you, Asilyne and Blade's ideas. I'm forming a bit of an idea, but it's in the works at the moment. I like the idea about the first story really just being a prologue of sorts.

Blademaster
12th May 2008, 08:02 AM
Prologue quest? Sure, I'm down with that. But I think a week is a bit long - if anybody had any setting ideas, they'd have posted them by now. I say we give 'em till Friday, then go weekly from there. And yes, that includes a week tinkering with the idea, as well. We're not that slow that we need 14 days to finalize something that's already been voted on and thus largely complete already, do we?

Besides, we'd be done by the end of the month at most this way.

Crazy Elf Boy
12th May 2008, 08:05 AM
Ok, I would like my two cents in here so here it is. I have never played DnD ever EVER that means ever ever ever ever before in my life. So according to my ideals on online MMORPGS I like everyones ideas so far especially the ones of TPM but I do like Blademaster's and Asilynes's ideas (sorry Heald, I just have a passion for some intention of ownership of firearms) but I would like to learn and participate in this game of DnD.

(Also if any of this does not make any sense to anyone let me know because I have done a little partying tonight and this statement might not be grammatically correct ^_^)

Mystic_clown
13th May 2008, 01:05 AM
ok, time for my idea.

Setting

Tepokemasta

Magic and technology are heavily intertwined. Stone infused with magical essence known as Magi-stones are used as a power source for machinery, as well as a medium for different magiks. The extent of this magical technology has reached to powering some major cities, forms of transport and communication and recently, into weaponry. However, any new form of technology utilizing Magi-stones is unstable at first, and magi-weaponry is no exception. Because of this, very few specialists have access to magi-weaponry. The only other way to use Magi-stones in combat is to utilize the essence they contain, similar to the way sorcerers cast spells. Apart from that, the majority of weapons used are the same used in the times of old, swords, bows, etc.

Much like Heald and Blade’s idea, the world is based around the TPM forums.

Miscellanio
The widely accepted capital of Tepokemasta. A somewhat large city situated in the mouth of a dead volcano, Miscellanio is possibly the most advanced city in terms of technology, using it to vent the floodwaters during the raining season. It’s not much of a military city, primarily using the mountain surrounding it as an effective defence. The city is one of discussion and new ideas, a city of scholarship and debate. The city is also the main meeting place for the high council, consisting of representatives from each of the cities.

Fanworten
Considered the arts capital of Tepokemasta. Theater, literature and other forms of artwork can bee seen wherever you go. The city itself stretches over a wide canyon, holding itself up like a bridge of sorts. While there were initial concerns of this, it has been assured the city is secured in its lofty location. Because of this, it has been dubbed ‘the suspended city’.

Anstyba
The center of magi-weapons development. Anstyba has been well known for its military strength and the skilled fighters it produces. Do not let this full you though. This is not a city hungry for war, though it follows a strict regime that make the laws of the other cities feel a bit slack. The city itself is located on an island not too far off the shores of the mainland.

Roplaga
The industrial heart of tepokemasta. The city is located along the river Lugos, using a combination of magi-tech and hydropower to power their machinery. The city builds numerous machines used all over the world, and is such mostly populated by the workers. Due to the numerous factories and such, Roplaga isn’t as, shall we say, ‘clean’ as the other cities.

Generis
Possibly the least technological of the cities in tepokemasta, Generis is situated in the middle of a dense forest and is, in essence, a farming community. Using certain types of Magi-stones, Generis provides the best produce for the rest of the world. The city is also a studying hot spot on the magi-stones, learning of their origin, and how one can utilize its essence without the danger of forcing technology upon it.

The Archives
In the frozen lands to the north, legends have spoken a place abundant with Magi-stones in their purest form. Research teams have discovered a gigantic, crater-like formation at the center-most point of this frozen land. However, tornado-like winds prevent them from exploring within. It’s believed that the mass amount of essence from the magi-stones is what’s producing this impassable storm. With the discovery of Recorder Stones, scientists and scholars believe that there may be stones there that contain the history of the planet itself. It’s this belief that has given this legendary place its name.

Gamavali
Rather an amusement part rather than a town, due to the number of people who’ve taken up permanent residence here, it’s considered an unofficial city. This is a place one can go to unwind, play some games, ride the rides, watch the races, grab a bite to eat, or whatever takes your fancy. Gamavali caters for all. Gamavali is situated in the middle of the Bannade desert. The only save way is by going on the Gamavali private railway, which traverses the desert.

Binaryn
A small town located on the same frozen land as the legendary archives. Located on the shores of this icy wasteland, Binaryn is in essence, a fishing town, well known for its prime catch. It’s also the place to stop first if you want to explore the land, otherwise you’ll find it pretty difficult.

Lugos River
A large river, which seems to cut the mainland in two. The river is notorious for the number of aquatic monsters inhabiting it, as well as the exotic fish that it holds. While it’s not impossible to traverse this river on your own, the safest way is to go through Roplaga, which goes across the river. The machines are effective in driving away the monsters, though there is the occasional exception.

Bannade Desert
If anywhere could be described as a No Mans Land, this is it. Scorching heat and ferocious monsters. The only safe away across the desert is with the Gamavali express, and to be perfectly honest, Gamavali is the only real reason anyone would want to come here. Amongst the desert sands lies the old Bannade prison, which has long fallen into ruin.

Races

Humans
The usual stuff, a bit of an all rounder. No real strengths, but no real weaknesses either.

Talems
A humanoid race, a little shorter in statue to humans, with larger eyes. Their eyes are their most outstanding feature as their usually a very bright green, blue, pink or purple and can glow in the dark. Their skin is pale, no matter how much sun they get. Their eyes are adapted to darkness and so are sensitive to light. Because of this, most Talems can be seen wearing hoods, hats, or tinted goggles during the day. Most Talems prefer to avoid technology, though there are some exceptions.

Syfes
SYnthetic liFEformS. Combining magical technology with artificial intelligence, Syfes were originally created to act as servants, much to everyone’s surprise, a number of them began to develop personalities and learn things outside of their programming. They’re humanoid in appearance, though how much they resemble humans differs with each Syfe.

Nekoda
A humanoid races with features similar to those of felines. Haven lived in the wilderness for centuries, its only in the last fifty years that they’ve tried to be assimilated into modern society. A lot have done so without any problems, though few prefer to stay in the wilderness.

If anyone has any more suggestion, they would be greatly appreciated.

Attributes

Strength
Dexterity
Constitution
Wisdom
Intelligence
Charisma

Classes

Well, to be completely honest, I like what Heald’s got down, so I was pretty much thinking of what he’s got. I may edit this later.

Blademaster
13th May 2008, 05:56 AM
Aaaaaaaand, teh l33t MSPaint map of teh 0verw0r1d is compl33t:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/Soul_of_the_Phoenix/Map.jpg

Key
Tan stuff is flat and barren: beach, desert, and wasteland.
Light green stuff is flat but not barren: grasslands and plains.
Dark green stuff is not flat or barren: forests and jungles.
Dark blue stuff is deep ocean water.
Light blue stuff around the continents and landmasses is shallow ocean water.
Off-white blue stuff at the north and south edges of the map is ice.
Navy blue squares are undersea mountains and valleys that divide the continental plates.
Brown squares are on-land mountains and mountain ranges.
Orange lines are bridges.
Lastly, red spots are the capital cities of each continent:

Pokemasters Capital: The Binary District
Games Capital: TBA (I haven't come up with one yet.)
Anime Capital: ASB
Fanwork Capital: Smiley Town
Interactive Capital: Twilight Town
Archive 'Capital': None (The red dot is the fortress they're stored in.)

The few things that have been named, as usual, are subject to change.

EDIT: Forget the compass, which is... uh... normal. What, did you expect the freaking map to be upside-down?

Also, the map is of the whole planet. Considering the tiny Archive island is about 150 miles across at its widest, it's safe to say this planet is pretty tiny. I didn't bother to measure it exactly, though, because nobody gives a shit how big it is. ...Or, at least I don't, anyway. d:

Drusilla
13th May 2008, 11:13 PM
I didn't bother to measure it exactly, though, because nobody gives a shit how big it is. ...Or, at least I don't, anyway. d:

DRUSIE CARES, GO BACK AND MEASURE IT OUT TO SCALE, DAMMIT!!

Just kidding, lol. Seriously... <_<;;

I still don't have much to add, just that I like how things are progressing thus far... I'm more into detail work, myself, so if things get to the point of figuring out detail-ish stuff...

Here are the things that currently come to mind:

What are the attribute bonuses for the different races? Like, would a Talem be kind of gnome-ish, or what? I could work those out, if you'd like... I have a few DnD manuals laying around here, somewhere... And maybe a few more races, as well... Hmmm...

And what about histories? Gods? Societies? Guilds? Governmental infrastructures? Kni- *is clubbed over the head and passes out* x_x;;

Mystic_clown
13th May 2008, 11:36 PM
I was waiting to see which overall world gets selected before going into any greater detail, but since you asked.

I pictured the Talems a lot like the elves, a bit weak in strength, but a good boost in intelligence. I pictured the Syfes a bit like emotionless automatons (at least, that's how they start out) so I figured give them a boost in strength, but a weakness in charisma.

The Nekoda I cansee being a quick footed race, but also a bit weak in terms of endurance, so a boost in dexterity, and a penalty in constitution.

As for history and such, I want to work on this if my world gets chosen, but as this is for all TPM, I am happy for people to put their own thing in.

Blademaster
14th May 2008, 12:33 PM
And what about histories? Gods? Societies? Guilds? Governmental infrastructures? Kni- *is clubbed over the head and passes out* x_x;;

(hides club behind back)

...What? Somebody had to do it.

Asilynne
14th May 2008, 02:09 PM
It was just a suggestion :< no need to bash my precious wheel of time *cry*
And Ive created many worlds of my own Blade :P so its not me suggesting wheel of time because I dont "have any imagination" :/ You must understand that this book series is my current obsession and that Im really into it right now especially since the author died before finishing the last freaking book of the series so now I have to wait heaven knows how long before his wife can finish writing it based on the notes he left behind @.@
What I wouldnt give to read those notes >.<

Anyway good ideas so far guys, keep up the good work, maybe next time I have a spare moment I can jot down the basis of one of my created worlds ^-~

Mystic_clown
16th May 2008, 09:42 PM
Well, it's been about a week or so since we startde putting up ideas. How would everyone feel if we started the poll about now?

Drusilla
16th May 2008, 11:05 PM
Drusie says:
So... what poll is this for the DnD thingee?
The Boredom Commands Me says:
which world will be used
Drusie says:
Ah.
Drusie says:
MINE
do you have an idea for a world?
Drusie says:
No...
so, no Drusie world :(

OK, you win... ~_~;;

I'm pulling this one out of the dusty recesses of the RPG forum... the world I created for Dream Of The Archer (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12040). I'm not particularly gifted at coming up with names for places, so I'm not going to focus on those as much as the description of each location/geographical feature.

1- Village A. A rudimentary farming village which has just been destroyed by foreign invaders.

2- Village B. Located in the northern foothills of the mountains, on the edge of the tundra. Summers are cool, and winters are downright painful.

3- Capital city of the nation, and second import harbor. Ships bound north or west sail from here. Almost every culture and race are represented as well.

4- City B. Chief import city of the nation, dealing with southern principalities' goods and peoples. None sail north from here, however, due to treacherous waters along the western shore of the peninsula.

5- Crystal Isle, believed by many to be only a fairy tale. None in living memory have ever seen it.

6- Alderford Forest and River. Fear and superstition keep the vast majority of travelers out, and very few who do enter ever return. A place of deep mystery and magic...

7- Ocean... duh. XP

8- Mountains, again feared and avoided by most. It is said that a hermit lives somewhere on the mount with the highest peak...

9- Nondescript plains.

10- River B, used to transport from City B throughout the western part of the nation.

11- Gulf.

12- Barren tundra, leading up to the northern icecap.

Needs a lot of work, I know... As far as peoples, well, I haven't gotten that far... It certainly wouldn't be limited to humans, as in my original idea. *shrugs* I'm hungry...

Mystic_clown
21st May 2008, 10:53 PM
ok, the poll is now up, get voting guys.

Weasel Overlord
22nd May 2008, 05:53 PM
*salutes* Aye aye cap'n! Mah vote is in!

Blademaster
22nd May 2008, 07:30 PM
Voted.

Mystic_clown
27th May 2008, 07:01 AM
ok, I didn't set a time limit to this poll, so, how much longer should we wait for votes?

Just so you know, we have two opetions tied for first. I wont say which ones.

Weasel Overlord
27th May 2008, 07:08 AM
I think waiting until say, Friday might be a good idea. Is that ok with everyone? We need a tie-breaker, unless we get another vote, lol.

Drusilla
27th May 2008, 02:14 PM
Friday sounds good to me...

Blademaster
27th May 2008, 04:00 PM
Friday it is, then.

Houndoom_Lover
27th May 2008, 05:03 PM
'kay! I'm gunna decide to vote right now! *jabs Blademaster with my pimp cane* Where ARE youuuu? Get your messanger to work, fo'!

Everyone has great ideas! I hope we all have fun whatever wins!

Mystic_clown
30th May 2008, 06:44 PM
well, I think it's time to close this poll. I appears the winner is Blademaster's World Name-Not-Announced.

Mystic_clown
3rd June 2008, 11:14 PM
sorry for the double post.

Ok, so we're working with Blademaster's Name-Not-Announced (we really need a name for this place). Now, Blade told us of the different continents, the technology and a bit about the different races, as wellas providing a map. Now it's time to add some detail, such as history of the planet, of the different races, and special areas within the continents, deities, etc.

Ok, so, I was thinking we could each come up with something to flesh out this world and post it up here. It could be about anything, such as how this crystal technology came to be, a particular landmark, things about the races, etc. I've got something in mind for history and something for the techumans. If anyone has any ideas, just shout them out and we can take a look.

Blademaster
4th June 2008, 05:09 PM
(we really need a name for this place)

The TPM theme leaves little room for name variety. Just basing the name around the word 'Pokemaster' is kinda... uncreative.

Heald
4th June 2008, 05:15 PM
Call it Frank.

Blademaster
4th June 2008, 05:30 PM
Uh... No.

Heald
4th June 2008, 08:21 PM
Why don't you just shoot down every idea I have? Tell you what, how about I call up Bruce Springsteen and tell him to get a new nickname, since you're clearly the Boss?!

Ultimate Charizard
4th June 2008, 08:23 PM
I thought that was Sinatra?

Houndoom_Lover
7th June 2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Sinatra signs my paycheck! ^__^ How about we call it Orcania?

Mystic_clown
18th June 2008, 09:25 PM
Well, since this topic's gone quiet, I figured I may as well show you guys something I came up with for the history for this world, as well as a possible game mechanic. Tell me what you think.

Terror of the Steel Demons

While the crystal technology that this world is renowned for was in development, a second project was carried out in opposition. This technology was based upon the use of nanobots, tiny machines capable of breaking down something on the molecular level and reconstructing it into whatever was desired. At first, this form of technology seemed to work, allowing for easy recycling, construction, and programming. Further tests showed they also have an effect on living organisms. This seemed like a godsend for the medical community, allowing for quick healing to normally mortal injuries.

However, it was here that the project went horribly wrong.

Even today, it’s still a mystery as to what happened. Some say the nanobots malfunctioned; some say they gained sentience, and a few say that someone deliberately reprogrammed the nanobots to do this.

In any case, the nanobots began to, ‘infect’ their hosts, reconstructing them into demonic beasts made of powerful steel. With their minds warped by the nanobots, these “Steel Demons” rampaged throughout the world, seeking to increase their own power. This dark period is remembered as the “Terror of the Steel Demons”

However, despite their increased strength and resistance to damage, scientists managed to discover a weakness within these steel terrors. The nanobots that dominate their bodies have a high vulnerability to magnetic fields, causing them to shut down. This weakness extends to the Steel Demons themselves, allowing them to be destroyed. With this knowledge, the Steel Demons were finally hunted down and destroyed. Finding it impossible to wipe out every last nanobot, thanks to their ability to replicate themselves, the remaining nanomachines were sealed deep beneath the Archives, the crystal technology preventing them from escaping. The nanobots remain sealed beneath the archives to this very day.

Possible Game Mechanic

The nanobots only need to come in contact with a living host in order to create a Steel Demon. I suggest that if a character is at a high enough level, and is able to reach the nanobot’s prison, they have the potential to become a Steel Demon. While they will gain a boost in stats, they will also gain a vulnerability to magnetic fields. Their alignment will also be altered to an evil alignment to begin with, though this does not have to be permanent. Once you become a steel demon, you stay a steel demon.

Mystic_clown
24th June 2008, 12:33 AM
Sorry for the double post, but could anyone who's still interested in doing this please let me know. I wouldn't want to go through all this trouble if it's just going to end up a complete failure.