PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Video Game Characters

Drago
1st May 2008, 05:30 AM
So fp's gotten me to thinking, perhaps we don't need to just discuss video games here, but other aspects of gaming, too. Why not? So simple question. Who are your favourite video game characters? (game characters originating from other mediums obviously to be excluded)

My #1 favourite character is the lowly, lovable and hardly villainous Koopa Troopa. This has been the case ever since Super Mario Kart in 1992, and I have my sister to thank for that one. She was always quicker on the trigger finger and nabbed Yoshi first, who was also the character I wanted to use at the time. Relegated to choosing the most Yoshi-like character, I selected Koopa Troopa, and haven't looked back since. What is it about Koopa Troopa that appeals to me so? I really don't even know any more.
They're just this friendly wee little turtle, and umm... I have no idea. I just inexplicably still love it to bits. Mario Strikers Charged and Mario Kart Wii have allowed me to continue this long-running streak of choosing it in every single playable appearance it has (which took a step back in the N64 days, but has been improving gradually).

Second place is Sonic the Hedgehog. As I've alluded to earlier, it was fairly academic that I would. He was marketed to appeal to my exact demographic, 90s kids. The old games are of course still where it's at, but I don't hold it against Sonic that he hasn't appeared in a definitively great game for about what... 9 years or so? Besides, other than a lot more dialogue (I liked it better back when Sonic, like every other video game character, didn't seem to have much to say. ...Also liked it better when Eggman was Ivo, but I think most of us do anyhow), the character himself still has the same appeal to him. He's just not as chubby as he used to be. If you want to see some characters they've really messed up, just look towards the supporting cast... Tails is annoying as all hell and Knuckles seems to have been pretty much castrated. In Sonic Heroes, he nervously states 'We're not going in there, are we?' ...wtf? Back in the day Knux was blasting through walls and pounding foo's with reckless abandon. Oh well. I digress.

Who are your favourite video game mascots, comrades?

Blademaster
1st May 2008, 03:35 PM
Mario, Sonic, Link.

THE three video game icons of legend.

'Nuff said.

PNT510
1st May 2008, 05:38 PM
I really like Wario. I remember playing Warioland 1 on the gameboy and thought it was really cool that you played as someone who was a greedy jerk and was only looking out for himself instead of trying to save people.

I like Cid from FF7. When I first saw him I thought he was a bad ass with the smoking and the yelling. Now I think he's funny and had a sweet level 4 limit break.

The best video game character ever though is HK-47 from KOTOR. If you don't know who he is, go play the game.

firepokemon
1st May 2008, 07:00 PM
The following is coming from someone who has never played a X-box, has never touched a Playstation 2 or 3, and has never played Nintendo DS and barely has played Game Boy Advance or any of that stuff. So it will mainly be focused on the few video games I have played in my life.

I'm not sure how many are aware of the character Cosmo or the game Cosmo itself. Anyway it was a PC game and Cosmo was like a Mario game (see I don't even know what these games are called). Now Cosmo was an alien/frog type creature and it was a simple game as you just merely jumped and jumped and jumped on creatures to kill them and gain more points and eat berries and stuff to replenish. But Cosmo was cool, because he has this unexplained alien existence that one could just engage in.

Oh and another favourite of mine is the Queen in Battle Chess. This is going to sound bizarre. But battle chess was an awesome game and the characters had life to them that was somewhat bizarre but at the same time it made chess more worthwhile. Anyway the Queen acted well like a Queen divaishh and quite simply a fucking bitch especially when it came down to pwning things. And she had this hideous scream that one simply wanted to throttle her with. But there was something to love in that she knew how divaish and bitchy she was and she adored herself and basically thought way too much of herself.

homeofmew
1st May 2008, 08:08 PM
Pikachu- Why not :O
Mario: Classic :)

Knight of Time
2nd May 2008, 02:35 PM
Meh, I'm with Blademaster on this one, in no particular order, I also like Mario, Link, and Sonic, but I prefer Link slightly over the other two, the Legend of Zelda series has held a place in my video game "heart" for years.

Weasel Overlord
13th May 2008, 09:57 AM
I was obsessed with Sonic when I was a youngster, but then again, weren't we all!? Can't stand the new games though, really. They lost MY support when they changed Robotnik's name to Eggman. LAAAME.

Other than that, my favourites... eesh, it's so hard to decide! Dante from Devil May Cry is in the top, tying with Balthier Bunansa from FFXII, who also ties with Ashela B'nargin Dalmasa, ALSO from FFXII (who I am cosplaying this summer! :D).
Second place goes to Amarant Coral, from FFIX (also called Salamander), from whom my msn name has been stolen from for years now.
Then Auron and Jecht tie for third, both from FFX.

Yes, I am obsessed with Final Fantasy. Shh.

Blademaster
13th May 2008, 01:54 PM
I was obsessed with Sonic when I was a youngster, but then again, weren't we all!? Can't stand the new games though, really. They lost MY support when they changed Robotnik's name to Eggman. LAAAME.

Abandoning a cherished childhood hero over a name change? Tsk-tsk, very shallow...

Actually, Dr. Eggman's name was always 'Eggman' in Japan. But in a similar fuck-up to calling Princess Peach 'Toadstool' for nearly ten years, Nintendo of America decided to change the not-so-good Doc's name. Much like calling Peach 'Toadstool' and Bowser 'King Koopa,' the idea was finally revoked.

But to be fair, Robotnik was undoubtedly the best of Ivo's 'original' names. Not really saying much when you're forced to compare it with such atrocities as 'Nogoodnik' and 'Kintobor,' but c'est la vie.

Heald
13th May 2008, 02:08 PM
Abandoning a cherished childhood hero over a name change? Tsk-tsk, very shallow...

Actually, Dr. Eggman's name was always 'Eggman' in Japan. But in a similar fuck-up to calling Princess Peach 'Toadstool' for nearly ten years, Nintendo of America decided to change the not-so-good Doc's name. Much like calling Peach 'Toadstool' and Bowser 'King Koopa,' the idea was finally revoked.

But to be fair, Robotnik was undoubtedly the best of Ivo's 'original' names. Not really saying much when you're forced to compare it with such atrocities as 'Nogoodnik' and 'Kintobor,' but c'est la vie.
And the less said about 'Julian' the better.

I always wondered why the Princess' name kept changing. So, how long until we're calling Toad 'Kinopio'?

Blademaster
13th May 2008, 02:20 PM
And the less said about 'Julian' the better.

I always wondered why the Princess' name kept changing. So, how long until we're calling Toad 'Kinopio'?

You brought him up, not me. >>

Thankfully, Kinopio will likely never happen. If it didn't happen in SMRPG - where Kamek was 'Magikoopa,' Yoshi's Island was 'Yo'ster Isle,' and Parakoopas were 'Sky Troopas,' amongst countless other lovely Engrish transrations - it ain't gonna happen. Ever.

...We hope.

Weasel Overlord
13th May 2008, 03:17 PM
Well of course, that wasn't the ONLY reason, lol! All the extra new characters annoy me. And Tails isn't as awesome as he used to be in the comics, but there you go. I was always slightly more of a Tails fan, I think.

Heald
13th May 2008, 04:15 PM
http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/76/Sonic_characters_suck.jpg

Drago
13th May 2008, 04:20 PM
Tails was pimpin' back in the day. Everyone wanted a piece of him and why not, HE FLEW!! Well alright, in Sonic 2 he was just on an amusing suicide mission, but by 3 he had gotten his fuzzy ass into gear.

You brought him up, not me. >>

Thankfully, Kinopio will likely never happen. If it didn't happen in SMRPG - where Kamek was 'Magikoopa,' Yoshi's Island was 'Yo'ster Isle,' and Parakoopas were 'Sky Troopas,' amongst countless other lovely Engrish transrations - it ain't gonna happen. Ever.

...We hope.
Kamek is Magikoopa. That is to say, an entity among Magikoopas. Unless of course you're referring to the one specific Magikoopa that was in Bowser's Keep, in which case this comment is cheerfully withdrawn. (Been a while since I played SMRPG... were there any other Magikoopas?)

Blademaster
13th May 2008, 05:54 PM
Kamek is Magikoopa. That is to say, an entity among Magikoopas. Unless of course you're referring to the one specific Magikoopa that was in Bowser's Keep, in which case this comment is cheerfully withdrawn. (Been a while since I played SMRPG... were there any other Magikoopas?)

No. Commence self-owning in three, two, one...

COMMENT CHEERFULLY WITHDRAWN.

kthanxbai

Weasel Overlord
13th May 2008, 07:37 PM
Tails was pimpin' back in the day. Everyone wanted a piece of him and why not, HE FLEW!! Well alright, in Sonic 2 he was just on an amusing suicide mission, but by 3 he had gotten his fuzzy ass into gear.

HAHAHA TRUE, OH SO TRUE!! I bummed Tails. OR should I say MILES POWERS!? Hahahahaa *runs away*

*pops back in momentarily* that comic was hilarious, by the way. XD

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
14th May 2008, 03:46 AM
There are some video game characters I fancy, most because they were the first I came across when I was young.

There's Luigi from the SMB series. I always preferred him over Mario as he was kind of the underdog and his green/white matches the colors of my favorite soccer club.

Then there's Birdo. For some reason I just love this big-snouted pinky, she's my favorite pick in any Mario sports game.

I also like Bowser cause he's such a cute and funny dork in the Paper Mario series. He's also one my favorites in Mario Kart.

Other characters I like are Link, Samus Aran, Phoenix Wright, MegaMan, Simon Belmont and the hero McDohl from the Suikoden series.

Blademaster
14th May 2008, 12:37 PM
I bummed Tails. OR should I say MILES POWERS!?

No, you should say 'Miles Prower.'

Andrew
14th May 2008, 06:19 PM
Or rather Miles 'TAILS' Prowler.

Smells like desperate fanboy, Blademaster. Haven't masterbated today?

Blademaster
14th May 2008, 06:50 PM
Or rather Miles 'TAILS' Prowler.

Smells like desperate fanboy

LOL, irony.

Pokemaster Ash
14th May 2008, 10:48 PM
Well I've got so many favorites, really. Let's see if I can narrow 'em down a little.

Zero, DWN∞ (infinity, if the symbol doesn't work)
Series: Rockman/Mega Man X, Zero, ZX (as Model Z), EXE/Battle Network (as Zero.EXE)
One of the coolest characters in a classic videogame universe, Zero initially was able to inflict high damage to damn near anything using either his Busters or his beamsaber or a combination thereof. Early on, he was the one who saved Mega Man X from certain doom in a pinch. In later games, when you could actually play as him, his power level was toned down but he still pwned with his beamsaber (named the Z-Saber now). He has survived several fatal encounters in some way or another. A Navi version of him appeared in Mega Man Network Transmission, seemingly causing chaos just by his existence, but in the end he helps defeat LifeVirus R, the reborn version of the final boss of the first Battle Network game.

Mistral
Series: .hack//
How can you deny the cuteness of this Wavemaster? A powerful magic-attacker and all around fun to have around. She even passes the cuteness onto her daughter Mireille (.hack//Legend of the Twilight)

Haseo
Series: .hack//G.U.
A former .hack cast member in a new body, Haseo has coolness to spare with the ability to use twin blades, a broadsword, a scythe, and later on dual guns. He also wields some damn strong powers in his own right as the series progresses.

...I'm sure I can think of others, but I'll stick with these right now...

Andrew
14th May 2008, 11:24 PM
It's called Wikipedia, Blademaster.

:rolleyes:

Drago
15th May 2008, 02:31 AM
No. Commence self-owning in three, two, one...

COMMENT CHEERFULLY WITHDRAWN.

kthanxbai
Specificity, son. Referring to the Japanese equivalent? It'd be Kamekku anyhow.

Blademaster
15th May 2008, 06:31 AM
Either way, the SMRPG translations typically sucked. Shame, considering how few other flaws the game had. Smithy is hands-down still one of the most awesome SNES bosses I've ever seen.

Weasel Overlord
15th May 2008, 06:35 AM
Oops, I forgot there was an R in it. Can be forgiven since the last time I READ the comics was when I was like... oh god, 6? Maybe. I'd still have them all too, if my mother hadn't used them to wrap up plates when we moved house *scowls* damn her.

classy_cat18
15th May 2008, 02:06 PM

Kamek was also in Yoshi's Island as the Magikoopa that was sent to steal Baby Mario and Luigi. You also had to deal with him as he either made the bosses grow, or made Yoshi shrink (Prince Froggy or whatever it was). The only other Magikoopa that I remember was Kammy from Paper Mario.

My favorites? I love Yoshi. He's my favorite character in Brawl and second favorite in Mario Kart (Mario's first). I played Yoshi's Story because I love Yoshi. He was my favorite partner in Paper Mario 2. He's cute and energetic and so colorful! *squeals in excitement*

Um...Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2. Every other game couldn't do him justice.

Riku and Numbers II, VI, VIII, IX, and X in Kingdom Hearts 2. Especially VIII. Axel was hot.

Kazooie the Red Crested Breegull from the Banjo-Kazooie games. One of the funniest characters I played.

Midna from Twilight Princess. A nice change from the fairies. I also liked Zant. Insane villains intrigue me.

Drago
15th May 2008, 03:22 PM
Kamek was also in Yoshi's Island as the Magikoopa that was sent to steal Baby Mario and Luigi. You also had to deal with him as he either made the bosses grow, or made Yoshi shrink (Prince Froggy or whatever it was). The only other Magikoopa that I remember was Kammy from Paper Mario.
And while we're at it, I say Kamek was a fantastic character. This whiny little coward who trembled at Bowser's every whim, with the occasional 'tehehe'... I was sad how he just slipped into obscurity, though Mario & Luigi did bring him back, particularly in the sequel, one of its only saving graces, might I say.

Blademaster
15th May 2008, 04:08 PM
And while we're at it, I say Kamek was a fantastic character. This whiny little coward who trembled at Bowser's every whim, with the occasional 'tehehe'... I was sad how he just slipped into obscurity, though Mario & Luigi did bring him back, particularly in the sequel, one of its only saving graces, might I say.

Aye, Kamek was a character with too much untapped potential. You never even FOUGHT him directly (Unless that happened in Yoshi's Island DS, which I never played.).

Oh, well. At least he isn't totally dead yet. The DS seems to be his new hangout, and there's also that Magikoopa at the start of Super Mario Galaxy that makes Mario his bitch (I don't care what any of you say - that WAS Kamek! None of the other Magikoopa's talked and had the power to launch insane "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH...!!!!"-accompanied throw-you-across-the-county-line magic blasts.)...

Heald
15th May 2008, 04:32 PM
3 guesses as to who my favourite video game character is?

Blademaster
16th May 2008, 12:07 PM
Ooh, ooh, I know this one!

He's tall, dresses in purple and black, has a funny hat, agile as a greased monkey?

It's Ryu Hayabusa! =D

Dark Sage
20th May 2008, 03:40 PM
I don't usually say anything on these posts, but I wanted to say something.

Kamek made another appearance as a boss in "Super Princess Peach". You know, the DS game where the roles are reversed and Peach has to rescue Mario and Luigi? Yeah, Kamek is one of the bosses, and he's one of the tougher ones, in fact.

Andrew
20th May 2008, 11:48 PM
OT: Is Super Princess peach worth getting?

Dark Sage
21st May 2008, 01:16 AM
I wouldn't say it's the best Mario game, but I played it, and it is rather challenging. It's the kind of game where you have to think about it before you can complete a given area.

And if you like Peach, it's a must-have. This is really the first game where she is the star.

Blademaster
21st May 2008, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't say it's the best Mario game, but I played it, and it is rather challenging. It's the kind of game where you have to think about it before you can complete a given area.

I'm sorry, but I have to say something here:

"What!?"

Mario games are not exactly well-known for their difficulty, but SPP is almost insultingly easy for a grown gamer. The levels are about as linear as you'd expect from a Mario sidescroller, but the hidden Toads and secret items are practically out in the open. And the few that aren't are indicated anyway by Peach's giveaway Metal Gear "!" everytime you enter an area containing a hidden item.

I'm not gonna 'not' recommend the game, but in terms of Mario platformers... Just don't expect to be blown away by it.

classy_cat18
21st May 2008, 04:18 PM
IMHO, Princess Peach in Super Mario RPG: LotSS w/ Lazy Shell > Super Princess Peach.

Heald
21st May 2008, 05:17 PM
Waluigi could still kick all of their asses in a fight though.

http://www.freewebs.com/1xmx1/BioWaluigi.jpg

I also like Battletoads. I can't wait for their Wii game with the free Wii strap and mudkipz, although no store will let me preorder it yet :(

srsly tho, in Oblivion, I love Sheogorath, the Daedric God of Madness, as he sends you on a quest to convince a bunch of superstitious villagers the end of the world is coming. If you succeed, he makes it burning dogs (yes, burning dogs, and then gives you a staff that will magically turn any creature or character into a random animal. Could be a sheep, could be a fire-breathing ogre.

Also, the Sim City 2000 transport advisor guy. If you cut his funding, he would cut you. Seriously, he was crazy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/HealdPK/ohshitno.jpg?t=1211408213

Crazy Elf Boy
22nd May 2008, 02:51 AM
I have a special place for Link from the Zelda series because he is only the most awesome of the awesome.

Drago
13th June 2008, 01:21 AM
More video game characters for your consideration...

Falco. Back when I was choosing my favourite Ninja Turtle back in the early 90s, I went with Raphael. He was red, and I liked red. He was also an arrogant, angsty son of a bitch who'd just as soon turn on his brother than agree with their opinion. At first, when I played the original Star Fox, I didn't like Falco. He wasn't 'edgy' as they claimed, just plain old bitchy. Whenever you saved him, he told you to mind your own business. Whenever you didn't save him, he died a fiery death. I really didn't care either way. It wasn't until SF64 they fleshed the characters out and gave Falco a much-needed dose of humanity. Finally, he was more like my beloved Raphael; not a complete and utter prick, but still not exactly a team player. His much improved dialogue made him what he was supposed to be; a rebel, but still one of Fox's close friends. I could go on and on about the many wonderful things of Star Fox 64, but I'll close that point now. He continued to rise up the ranks when Smash Bros Melee rolled around, quickly becoming my favourite Melee character. He's since joined the rest of the Star Fox franchise in its downward spiral (or as I call it, 'the Krystal effect'), but I'm hoping Brawl will redeem him a little, and bring him back to his former glory.

I don't want this to become a favourite Pokemon topic, but the Bulbasaur family (esp. Venusaur) remains one of my top sets of characters. Brawl's playable IVYSAUR remains a beacon of brilliance in every conceivable way.

classy_cat18
13th June 2008, 01:42 AM
He's since joined the rest of the Star Fox franchise in its downward spiral (or as I call it, 'the Krystal effect'), but I'm hoping Brawl will redeem him a little, and bring him back to his former glory.

Make sure you play through the Subspace Emissary. You'll love him even more. It worked wonders with me and Lucario. *huggles Daichi from Diamond*

ssj4supernerd
13th June 2008, 01:21 PM
Sho Minamimoto from The World Ends With You for the DS. Epic battle lines(YOURE OUTTA YOUR VECTOR!) and just badass.

Auron from FFX for the PS2. Why? Because HE OWNS EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING FUCK YEAH.

Axel from KH II for the PS2. Badass weaponss.

Ledah from Riviera: The Promised Land for the GBA. Just a really cool character.

Balthier from Final Fantasy XII for the PS2. Because he's the leading man.

Riku from Kingdom Hearts I and II for the PS2. Hes the only emo I love, and his blade looks fricking cool.

Edgar from Final Fantasy VI for the SNES, PSX and GBA. I like Sanji from One Piece, how could I not like this guy?

And there are probably much more, but I can't think of them right-oh yeah! Wario! Because he's badass in every Wario Land game fuck yeah.