PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Platinum

Jeff
11th May 2008, 10:10 PM
So nothing like a third version to DP to stir up discussion here again...

So supposedly it'll be called Pokemon Platinum. Some basic information about it according to everyone's favorite Celebi-themed pokemon site:
-Giritina will be on the box (surprise surprise)
-Volkner has pulled a Wallace on us and is no longer gym leader
-WiFi underground :waycool:
-Battle Island (same thing as battle frontier), again, :waycool:
-Giritina, Regigigas, and Shaymin have new forms

Thoughts?

Drago
11th May 2008, 10:27 PM
Nope. Not this time Nintendo. I'm not buying the same game again again again. Considering I have nine games in a series that has less twists than a straightaway on Luigi Raceway, I don't need to buy Game #4B. I'll wait for #5A to pretend to be new and wildly different before falling for it again.

Blademaster
12th May 2008, 01:42 AM
PLATINUM? How does a precious metal fit in with a gem and something a clam spits out?

Nintendo always does this... Red, Blue, and Yellow were all colors. Then they screwed up Gold and Silver by adding Crystal. Then Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald were all gemstones, and now they've screwed up the DP line. -.-;

I'm not sure if I'll get this one yet. On the one hand, I already have Diamond AND Pearl, but on the other, I never bought Emerald. And Crystal was different enough from Gold to keep me amused... Plus, Underground Wi-Fi sounds like a blast...

I might just pick this one up... Then again, maybe I should start saving up for the Nintendo DS Advance SP Colorboy Mach 2.

Crazy Elf Boy
12th May 2008, 01:48 AM
From my experience the 2nd release of the games has always enough changes to make it better, I mean yellow had a story line more fitting to the anime, Crystal had the introduction of the battle tower and the 2 gender players, Emerald in my opinion was the best since it had the battle Frontier which required a lot of skill, the new Safari zone expansion, the addition of the Match Call and the new story plot of all three Groudon, Rayquaza and Kyogre with Rayquaza able to be captured before the pokemon League. So with all that I am looking forward to Platinum especially since of the Underground Wifi since I spent most of my Diamond hours in there digging away.

Charles Legend
12th May 2008, 02:46 AM
You do know Joe said the name might be just a rumor of did you guys already forget that he did mistranslated Shellos name...

Besides that Idiot who thought to call the third game Pokemon Platinum should be shot in the head, I mean really all this time I been waiting to find out what Lady Berlitz's name was only to be let down by Game freak calling the third game Platinum instead of Opal which would be a more fitting name for a girl then Platinum.

Edit on second thought the reason why the third game is called Platinum is it may in fact mean that Nintendo may in fact be planing to do the highly awaited G/S after all which is of course a good thing for two reasons they know that the old Gaboy carts are dieing and that there is still the fact that Professor Oak said that there is a rock in Kanto that might also lead to Shaymin.

~Charles Legend

ssj4supernerd
12th May 2008, 05:11 AM
I'm probably not going to buy it. Diamond and Pearl were HUGE failures in my opinion, so I have to see how much different this game is.

Pokemaster Ash
12th May 2008, 12:12 PM
Well I would certainly welcome a G/S remake, but for now this looks sorta promising. I have to say, I don't like the reappearance of the Battle Frontier, but we'll see how bad it is this time around. There was enough hax in Emerald's version, not to mention I'm still pissed at Palmer's Milotic and Dragonite (I have beaten them, but...)

Giratina as the key Legendary is sorta amusing. It does have one of the best signature moves of the new Legendaries (the unbeatable Shadow Force, undone only by Normal-Type opponents). This probably means both Dialga and Palkia will be available in the game somewhere (like Kyogre and Groudon in Emerald). Dunno what they have planned with Regigigas, Shaymin, and Darkrai, though. Would be kinda nice if they did what they should have done in the first place and remix the Regis' theme from R/S/E for Regigigas in Platinum instead of just using the generic Legendary theme for it.

Starry Might
12th May 2008, 02:14 PM
I remember reading long ago on Bulbapedia about a possible third game in the "Diamond/Pearl" family being announced. :)

Will I ever get it though? I'll have to wait and see..

Oh, and here's something I just found on Bulbapedia while I typed this up that might interest you (THIS HASN'T BEEN CONFIRMED AS REAL YET, SO TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT):

"Pokémon Platinum announcement leaked?" (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Platinum_announcement_leaked%3F)

Chris 2.1
12th May 2008, 05:08 PM
So far I've felt Yellow Crystal and Emerald have been really great. But Platinum needs to do more than include the same things Emerald did (obviously this is not even confirmed news, but what we have heard has all been in Gen3). I've not even got Diamond or Pearl yet so I don't know to what extent it can build on the current gen, but I think we can all expect some Pokemon to be included in both and some excluded altogether, which has become standard.

And Charles, don't worry about the Manga; Platinum may not be Berlitz's name. Remember that, despite Wally's involvement as a rival in the game, the Manga chose to create a brand new character, Emerald, for the BF Manga. They don't follow everything too closely.

Jeff
13th May 2008, 11:29 AM
Better quality scan (http://img45.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=66217_pp_122_185lo.jpg)

Looks like Giratina gets its own grayish HP/stat box in battle, and the male main character has new clothes, but still has the same hat. Also, apparently the new scan reveals that Giratina's new form's ability is unknown, and not Levitate as people have been speculating that it says.

Blademaster
13th May 2008, 02:06 PM
Ugh...

That first screenshot had me thinking, "Holy fuck, they did it... They finally combined the evillest aspects of Ghost, Dragon, and Legendary Pokemon and created this... this... AWESOME CREATURE."

Then I scrolled down.

(facemonitor)

WHY, NINTENDO? WHY DO YOU KEEP FUCKING US OVER!? LOOK AT GIRATINA'S NEW FORM! IT LOOKS LIKE A FUCKING BARGE! (http://maryt.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/_44204232_barge_afp416.jpg) LOOK AT IT!!

Charles Legend
14th May 2008, 08:12 AM
Nice Dragon boat you got there Blade, anyways another thing I find really Weird about this whole Pokémon Platinum thing is that, a fan site by the name of Pokemon Platinum exist and they are working on a G/S/C remake Ironically is called Pokemon Platinum... O.o I think this whole Pokemon Platinum thing is one big joke, remember there are people who are highly skilled artiest and could have easlly did the Magazine scan on Photo shop and to take Giritina's Origin Form artwork and make it into a Sprite...

however I am not saying there wont be a third game I am just saying it way to danm weird, I mean half the stuff that is said to be in this was already in Emerald, the 8th Gym Leader getting replaced and the BF... until I see more info then gust the scan I am deeming this as 100% Fake that is just based off of real info I mean the only thing we really know is that there will be a third game and the only thing we know about Giritina, Regigigas, and Shaymin getting new forms is that there in the movie... -_-

besides that Blue Sky has got to be the worse Soucre for Pokemon Related Infomaton on the whole damn freaking Internet!

Sure I don't mind April's Fools Day Pranks about Fake games but to bluntly Call it cannon based off of one measly Magazine scan, I mean for crying out load Serebii neveen wet as far as to create a Pokemon Platinum board to talk about it...

I want a third and or a G/S/C Remakes just as much as the next guy but good loard peole in this fandom need to be on more of a guard to hoaxes Until one of the staff at NOJ conferms it Pokemon Platinum should be seen for what it is a Fake, and yes I am awere there was a fake called Pokemon Diamond that yes really did become a cannon game, however that would be just two weird if in fact Pokemon Platinum became a real game...

~Charles Legend

Roy Karrde
15th May 2008, 11:22 AM
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/platinum/02.html

For the people that think this is fake, well it isn't. The official website is now up for Pokemon Platinum.

Starry Might
15th May 2008, 02:08 PM
And so it begins! :D

Oh, and concerning the name of the girl in the "Diamond/Pearl" manga:

This single page scan shows Pokémon Platinum (technically the Katakana says Platina, but that is generally the term the Japanese use for Platinum)...
I've never read any "Pokemon" mangas (I've heard of 'em, though), but that sounds like that could be her name to me. It's sounds like a girl's name in that spelling, right?

Speaking of Dawn (the "Diamond/Pearl" girl)...I wonder what her clothes look like in "Platinum"? (Hey, Lucas - the boy PC - has new clothes, so she most likely will, too!)

Pokemaster Ash
15th May 2008, 10:41 PM
Well hopefully they'll take the chance to do something right with Platinum that were kinda eh in D/P. A minor tweak like the music for Regigigas would be one thing. If they'd actually fix the PokéRadar to be a little better at finding what you're actually using it for would help (also maybe tweak the encounter rates to be a little more fair in some cases, too, since I still remember the fits I was throwing with the Nidorans, not to mention Munchlax and the trees...).

Also, with any luck, maybe they'll remember to put Tangela and Tropius in the game somewhere. Dunno how they totally blew it in D/P, but it would be nice to not have to resort to transferring anything in aside from the totally necessary (like the old Legendaries and stuff). I suppose trading for 'em is an option too, but I'm the kind of person who likes catching Pokémon by their own efforts as much as possible (frustrating as it can be sometimes).

Charles Legend
18th May 2008, 09:48 AM
All I meant was that I found it odd that NOJ used the Names of two fake games and in the same generation I might add. :rollseyes:

btw I found this picture of a Real Shaymin.
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs23/f/2008/022/0/e/Pkmn__Real_Shaymin_by_XxNobodyNinjaxX.jpg

~Charles Legend

Starry Might
19th May 2008, 02:21 PM
^- Cute! ^_^

ssj4supernerd
13th June 2008, 01:13 PM
Hmm, I'm wondering...Volkner pulls a Wallace on us...Shaymin has a SKY form...Giratina also looks like a SKY form...Emeralds legend was related to SKY...Regi's make a reappearance...are we returning to Hoenn?

Sceptile_Master
11th July 2008, 07:32 PM
I think I like shaymins older form but I definitely prefer the new giratina.

DarkestLight
11th July 2008, 07:45 PM
They need to bring Emerald-style Move Tutors back.

Now!

I'm SICK of trying to get moves through RIDICULOUSY obscure methods -.- I never had to play Emerald, Firered and Diamond for ONE fricking Pokemon so much as I am now >O!

Aside from that, looking forward to see what else they add for us in this one. Hopefully it'll be out...o wait, it has a Sept Release date. Shoot, 09. Ugh too far to care now.

firepokemon
12th July 2008, 05:28 AM
Shaymin's Sky Forme looks really cool. Though it now having a 4X weakness to Ice sucks badly.

Just import Platinum, translations will be available rather quickly and you'll be able to follow half of it anyway. The 20 person wifi thing that they've introduced, I think is the most intriguing of the information that came out two days ago.

Heald
12th July 2008, 06:13 AM
I just love how 4chan totally pwned that douchebag WPM with their fake Shaymin. What a douche.

Dark Scizor
12th July 2008, 02:08 PM
All that matters is that Dawn's redesign clothes are cute and delicious.

firepokemon
14th July 2008, 02:59 PM
I just love how 4chan totally pwned that douchebag WPM with their fake Shaymin. What a douche.

Not to mention Serebii. You know Serebii became so sure that it was real, he thought he could see the Shaymin sky forme on the official site. It was rather hilarious. Or are you talking about something else?

shazza
15th July 2008, 07:51 AM
I tried playing Pokemon Diamond before, beat the first Gym and it simply doesn't appeal to me. The features are cool, and the improvements with Platinum look intersting.

It's just missing a spark RBY/GSC (and to a lesser extent RSE) had.

Blademaster
15th July 2008, 10:07 PM
It's just missing a spark RBY/GSC (and to a lesser extent RSE) had.

That spark is called "originality."

shazza
16th July 2008, 01:12 AM
No. I don't mind the repeated main premise of the games. If I did, I would have gotten sick of it by GSC.

I think it has more to do with the graphics and music.

mr_pikachu
16th July 2008, 02:23 AM
Well, one complaint I have (and there aren't many to make about DP, in my opinion) is that gameplay is just too slow.

I'm not just talking about walking/running/command speed, although it does feel like those are slower. More importantly, there's too much to do with too little advancement. The world is bigger than pretty much any previous game - I haven't looked into in scientifically, but it may even top GSC despite having half the badges - and with the high levels of late Gym Leaders and the E4, game completion requires a lot of focused training.

This combination makes DP very much like an RPG; before it fell easily into the adventure genre. You could just pick up the game and play in the past, but now you've got to be very deliberate. In some sense, it's just too much. RPG gameplay fits consoles much better than handheld devices, and Pokemon has always favored the faster style.

DarkestLight
16th July 2008, 05:58 AM
It IS slower. There are towns that have no damn purpose other than fr you to pass through them. Usually, in the past, the towns that had no Gym were in the beginning of the game. Not DP; you pass through what, 3 of them as you go through?

The progression of the plot is longer as well for the speed reason, you are godawful slow on that bike. I played Firered and I swear the kid in Firered can RUN faster than the kid bikes in DP.

ssj4supernerd
16th July 2008, 06:17 AM
Not to mention the whole goddamned trek from Badge 2 to Badge 4 or so. Seriously, it as what, 3 routes, 2 cities, one with a Gym that you couldn't access because the Gymleader sees you unworthy? FOR GODS SAKE THEN PUT THAT GYM AT THE END.

Toxicity
16th July 2008, 12:58 PM
All that matters is that Dawn's redesign clothes are cute and delicious.

I think they're cute (http://archives.bulbagarden.net/w/upload/0/0d/Platinum_Dawn3.PNG). :3

I like the idea of an Interpol officer; I'm actually hoping there will be allusions to Zenigata in his character. And Glacidia's Flower allows Shaymin to go back and forth between formes; does this mean Shaymin will be available in-game, or will it be a crappy wait-in-line event once again?

As for Galactic going a step up in this game...I hope it doesn't become a total cliche.

Dark Scizor
24th July 2008, 08:07 PM
I hope it doesn't become a total cliche.
You know it will be, unfortunately.

firepokemon
8th August 2008, 07:49 AM
Hmm any of you guys have thoughts about the five pokemon forms that have appeared. I keep hearing people saying they're Rotom forms but I'm not sure. To be honest the idea of more forms of pokemon and the like is weird. Also I'm not sure I understand where or how one is going to get these pokemon. Since its not exactly sure that its a Platinum thing or an event thing and its highly unlikely to be part of the 5th Gen since surely they're still a while away.

Hmm so what are your thoughts?

Chris 2.1
8th August 2008, 02:23 PM
I thought Rotom forms, but then, given their robot-like appearence I get the impression they might be helper droids or robots or some form of technology introduced into Sinnoh, like the ones in Movie 7. They just don't seem to resemble Pokemon....

Heald
9th August 2008, 04:40 AM
Has anyone got a link to pictures of said new formes? I can't find them.

Jeff
9th August 2008, 06:16 AM
http://www.serebii.net (they should still be up on the main page)

DaBlackBandit
13th August 2008, 11:06 PM
It's cool that Rotom has more forms, but are we making more useless Pokemon, more baby forms. Because it's cool that they are cute and all, but seriously, let's get some more evolutions of basic forms, Dunsparce, Farfetch'd, Pinsir, Girafarig, Absol, the list goes on.

I also read there are some Castforms and Baltoy evolutions too?

Those new evolutions look more like toasters and light bulbs. I'm sorry, but did they really run out of Animals in the kingdom? or do they just want to make more useless evolutions?

EngiMatikul
29th August 2008, 04:04 PM
http://www.moetron.com/2008/08/29/pokemon-platinum-new-commercials/

mr_pikachu
29th August 2008, 04:16 PM
Great find, Engi! Judging by that second video, there's definitely a new Battle Frontier in the works... I've missed that, frankly. And it looks like we'll finally be able to access some of the locked areas and Pokemon legitimately. Giratina looks downright freaky.... The graphics seem a tad better, although I haven't noticed any improvement in the movement speed. A bit disappointing on that last front, but it looks pretty good otherwise.

Can't believe the release date is so close at hand. I look forward to the initial reports of Platinum's quality.

Poryhedron
29th August 2008, 06:23 PM
Wow, the in-battle trainer sprites animate? Is this the first we've ever seen of that?

By the way, I'm a bit confused about the whole "Oh boy, Platinum will have a Battle Frontier" thing. How exactly has the northeast island not been a Battle Frontier the whole time?

Jeff
29th August 2008, 08:51 PM
It has the Battle Tower in DP but not the Battle Factory, Pyramid, etc. Platinum is expected to get these things, which I'm exited about since they put a nice spin on battling. Yes this is the first time trainer sprites have been animated (except for your trainer throwing the pokeball). Also it looks like my theory of the gray stat box only being for Giratina was wrong, oh well. Oh, and the battle recorder sounds interesting (thank God that part was in English!)

Charles Legend
10th September 2008, 04:32 PM
This just in your house is being Invated by a ghost that takes the shapes of a plasma tube, a fridge, a fan a Lawnmower a Washing Machine and a Toaster oven, you are advised to remain calm until a Pokemon Master in the making arrives to catch this Rotom fella. ;)

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=7&pictureid=44

Serebii and Coronis Discoverad some other stuff such as the gyms have new layouts for example the Eterna Gym no longer has a forest init rather it looks like a meadow, as well as other stuff. ;)

this is Charles Legend signing off for now...

commercial: ASB duke it out with your friends.

commercial: Fanfiction Share your Stories with others.

commercial: Fanart show of your art.

commercial: Official Duck club post pictures of your favorite duck.

commercial: TPM your source for all things Pokemon.

~Charles Legend

Starry Might
11th September 2008, 02:18 PM
*COMES BACK INTO THE TOPIC*

Yeah, I saw those on Serebii yesterday. The lawn mower form made me chuckle. :lol:

DaBlackBandit
12th September 2008, 01:02 PM
Great now there is a Lawnmower Pokemon. What kind of attacks will it have? Cut Grass?, Create Mulch, and Stall out?

I saw the Washing Machine, now we have another Water/Electric or Water/Ghost type, hopefully. Unless it's just Water, then geeze more Water Pokemon, yay!! *sarcasm*, now we can Wash our Pokemon and make them clean?

A Fan Pokemon, okay, so there are so many bad jokes I can do with that. But I'll just do one, now *this* Pokemon will blow us away?

Toaster-Rotom? He cooks our bread now?

Fridge Rotom, keeps our Ice Pokemon cold? and protects against bacteria Pokemon? Now, they are going crazy with the Pokemon, did they run out of Animals in the kingdom. I don't think so, this must be some hidden thing in Pokemon in the up coming games. I hope we don't have to go into every since house and try to find every Rotom, and battle them. That will be annoying.

Let me be the first to say, Rotom is getting out of Control! Maybe he will be the new face Pokemon? No more Pikachu?

Pokemaster Ash
12th September 2008, 01:46 PM
Rotom's new forms are a little ridiculous, but probably a little easier to handle than Rotom's regular form (since it can't avoid a major weakness in the other forms).

I like the fact that they actually expanded the Sinnoh Dex to include all the Pokémon with 4th gen ties (ie Electabuzz and Ralts (with Electivire and Gallade)) that were tossed aside to the National Dex in D/P. That was frustrating having to wait so long to try out some of those new evos. Besides, it also helps in team building since some elements got royally screwed over in the Sinnoh Dex in D/P (Fire comes to mind immediately...).

Poryhedron
12th September 2008, 06:04 PM
Y'know, guys, Rotom was first encountered possessing a TV set. Is it really so horrible to see the exact same pokémon also capable of possessing other appliances? At least now it's clear why its name is "motor" backwards...Rotom forms are not the end of the world any more than Lickilicky is. Heck, Surfing Pikachu was more of an anomaly than this.

DarkestLight
13th September 2008, 11:36 AM
Shh Pory. Lickilicky is fantastic, dun hurt its feelings.

Yes, I'm generally happy about the new forms. It just gives us more basis about its power, and the fact that it can possess all appliances. I wish it could change into all 17 types really, be like a Ghost-Appliance counterpart to Arceus.

The Blue Avenger
13th September 2008, 12:18 PM
If Serebii is to be believed, then all the Rotom forms are still Ghost/Electric; they can just learn different attacks.

mr_pikachu
13th September 2008, 12:28 PM
I take it, then, that you can't just switch between them like Deoxys (or even Arceus' types). Or perhaps you can... it would add a whole new dynamic to team-building if you could switch between level-up move lists, thinking about it.

Oh, and I probably don't need to remind anyone of this... but for posterity, remember that gen 1 had four machine Pokemon and a blob of pink goo. I wouldn't consider Rotom's new forms a stretch at all.

DarkestLight
13th September 2008, 06:47 PM
And that pink goo is the sexiest goo imaginable. :D

Heald
13th September 2008, 07:09 PM
I can't see what the fuss is about. I think they look pretty cool. Hell, there have been far worse Pokemon around. Mr Mime, Mime Jr, Unown, some other shit.

firepokemon
13th September 2008, 07:19 PM
You calling Mime Jr. shit? Fuck you Heald. Mime Jr. is the greatest pokemon ever.

Blademaster
13th September 2008, 07:57 PM
Mime Jr. sucks until Mime Sr. is released, and it looks like the scariest fucking clown you've ever seen (You think clowns you've seen are bad? Look up Willard Scott's early career with McDonald's and you will know true fear.).

DarkestLight
14th September 2008, 09:22 AM
o.O Mime Sr Better look like "It" then >>....complete with knife.

Starry Might
15th September 2008, 02:12 PM
:o

Anyhow, I've been reading up on this game, and it sounds really cool! :keke: I think I'll get it! (If I do, I'll start with Turtwig to be different from my "Diamond" where I started with Piplup.)

Oh, and last night, after helping my Dad beat the Elite 4 in his "Pearl" game, we would up going to YouTube (among other places) and looked at a couple of "Platinum" videos by Marilland. We only watched the Coal Badge and Forest Badge ones, but they were both informative and entertaining ("Do the Barry Dance!" :lol:). Go check 'em out (if you don't mind spoilers, of course)! :D

Charles Legend
15th September 2008, 07:18 PM
Oh an instesting fact I found was that it was Pluto who was the one who frist decovered and named Rotom, oh and Pluto is like insane and tries to have Heataran mealt Shinoh with the the valcano. XD

Also who besides me thinks that the guy that was investigating Team Rocket on the St. Ann was Detetive Handsome or at the very lest Dectective Handsome was based off of him?

~Charles Legend

Number1ChanseyFan
16th September 2008, 04:25 PM
I take it, then, that you can't just switch between them like Deoxys (or even Arceus' types). Or perhaps you can... it would add a whole new dynamic to team-building if you could switch between level-up move lists, thinking about it.
Unfortunately, it looks like Rotom can only know the special move that belongs to it's current form, but it doesn't look like you can mix and match movelists, they all have identical movesets, except for their special forms' move. The five items that Rotom can possess are in the Galactic Hideout in Eterna City, and you can revert Rotom back to his original form by going to the TV that you originally found it in.

Poryhedron
16th September 2008, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately, it looks like Rotom can only know the special move that belongs to it's current form, but it doesn't look like you can mix and match movelists, they all have identical movesets, except for their special forms' move.So how would that work in-game, if Rotom can only know the special move relating to its current form? Does Rotom automatically forget its current form's move and learn its new form's move if you switch forms? I don't think the game's ever done anything like that before...maybe it'd work like Nature Power, a single move that acts like other moves depending on the circumstances?

Jeff
16th September 2008, 08:24 PM
According to SPP each form only has one move unique to it (all are strong risky moves like Hydro Pump and Overheat). When you switch forms, the old form-specific move is automatically forgotten, so there's no way to get a Rotom with both Leaf Storm and Blizzard for example.

mr_pikachu
16th September 2008, 10:28 PM
According to SPP each form only has one move unique to it (all are strong risky moves like Hydro Pump and Overheat). When you switch forms, the old form-specific move is automatically forgotten, so there's no way to get a Rotom with both Leaf Storm and Blizzard for example.

I see "the old form-specific move is automatically forgotten"... I don't see the new move being learned. So if you switch forms, do you have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the new form-specific move, or what?

EngiMatikul
17th September 2008, 03:12 PM
Heart Scale? <3

EDIT: Random statistical lols.
http://www.moetron.com/2008/09/17/platinum-fastest-selling-ds-game-of-all-time/

Jeff
17th September 2008, 10:48 PM
Oops I guess I left that part out. When you change forms, Rotom forgets the old form's special move and learns the new one in its place. If Rotom doesn't know a form-specific move when you change its form, then you go through the usual "Rotom is trying to learn ____" process. Here's the page with all the Rotom info: http://www.serebii.net/platinum/rotom.shtml

Blademaster
18th September 2008, 02:45 AM
OK, so Heat Rotom and Cut Rotom get immensely powerful attacks that drain their users' Special Attack, Frost Rotom and Wash Rotom get slightly less powerful (but still formidable) attacks that don't always hit, and...

...and Spin Rotom gets Air Slash. A move barely HALF as powerful as Overheat/Leaf Storm with no added effects save for a possible critical hit.

I must say, I'm a bit irked by that. Partially because of my OCD demanding symmetry and balance (I know 120-140-75-140-120 is just that, shut up.), but also because it's just another example of Flying Pokemon getting shafted. Fly and Bounce wouldn't be appropriate, OK. But what about Aeroblast? It's almost as strong as Blizzard/Hydro Pump, and it sums up what a fan... y'know... DOES: It blasts air at you.

I dunno. It's really nothing... I just kinda wish they'd given Rotom a Flying attack with more power, of which there currently are none. They coulda just made a new one, though, to keep in with Rotom's uniqueness and to give the little fan freak a bit more power... Oh well...

Pokemaster Ash
18th September 2008, 04:54 AM
And therein lies the problem. A lot of the really good attacks that can make or break a Pokémon seem to be exclusive to certain ones, even if the moves themselves aren't that greatly impressive. Yes, Aeroblast would suit Spin Rotom more than Air Slash, but it's Lugia only. Likewise Electivire and Luxray would be pretty deadly with Volt Tackle (which is pretty much just an Elec version of Double-Edge, there are lots of elemental variants of that now), but we know who has that move under wraps.

Of course, some Pokémon just plain get the shaft by not getting more common attacks. While Flareon doesn't suffer from the primarily Special nature of Fire, it doesn't get much to use its high Attack with and get STAB at the same time. Would it have hurt anyone to give it Flare Blitz or something? On that note, Eevee's breeding move pool kinda sucks in general. Understandable why, you could make some really messed up movesets if you could just cut loose (Leafeon with Aqua Jet, Jolteon with Ice Beam, some other Frankenstein-ish stuff), but still, there's very little opportunity to customize an Eevee.

DarkestLight
19th September 2008, 06:17 AM
....The one move I asked for to be a Move Tutor move in D/P is of course not there. What move you ask?

Softboiled -.-. I want...a fricking...Softboiled Magic Guard Clefable, and I'll never get one because of this -.-..I truly hate you Nintendo.

Heald
19th September 2008, 06:43 AM
If that's that important, I might be able to shark you one.

Pokemaster Ash
19th September 2008, 11:53 AM
With all of the cheap moves ready for availability from the Tutors in Platinum, I'm surprised Body Slam didn't make the cut. I'm not about to go to such drastic measures for that move, though.

Though I hope I can get my hands on the necessary coding to get my hands on some certain items. My perfectionist side will not allow me to rest without the tools to get certain Legendaries (I like the thrill of the catch as much as the power they wield). I guess the items that Shaymin and Rotom use for those their transfomations might be needed too, not that I use either of them, but as I said, my perfectionist tendencies will bug me. I've been cursed with those for a long time... (I've logged a LOT of hours in my Pokémon games, among some other video game series...)

Heald
19th September 2008, 12:19 PM
Nintendo absolutely disgusts me in the respect of needing items and special keys and what not in order to unlock certain Pokemon. It means in 10 years time, if you wanted to collect all the Pokemon in the game, you can't, simply because of Nintendo's ridiculous system. That's why I absolutely refuse to catch Pokemon in this 'legitimate way' and I instead just get them the way I prefer.

Pokemaster Ash
19th September 2008, 12:42 PM
Well, I'm with you a bit right there. I just prefer to shark (or AR or whatever) the items rather than the Pokémon themselves. It's a little more fair in my opinion, since they get to annoy the hell out of me like other Legendaries do (unless I decide to use a Masterball on any of 'em).

At least it's still only Manaphy, Arceus, Shaymin, and Darkrai and no one else has been added to the list (though the Regi trio gets unlocked with some promo Regigigas being traded in, but I'm not interested in that). Seemed like every 3rd gen game, another Legendary got added to the unlockable list (In R/S it was only Latios/Latias, FR/LG threw in Lugia & Ho-oh and Deoxys, Emerald added Mew to the whole mess).

At this point I'm hoping Nintendo has a G/S remake in their sights and isn't making any new Pokémon (or weird as hell forms of existing ones).

firepokemon
9th December 2008, 03:26 AM
English release announced for March 22nd.

Click here (http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/English_Platinum_announced)

DarkestLight
9th December 2008, 06:24 AM
Oh yes, Birthday gift :D!!

Starry Might
10th December 2008, 02:35 PM
I saw that...but Circuit City apparently doesn't have their page on it anymore.

I hope it's true though! :keke:

One thing I'm none-to-pleased about is that Handsome's name has apparently been changed to "Looker"...the former is my favorite word in the English language (seriously).

Oh well.

Charles Legend
10th December 2008, 07:11 PM
I agree there is no reason for them to change Handsome, Pluto or even Torn World's names....

but at lest we now know rughly when it well come out which is good seing as it gives a good Idea as to when the moves well become useable in the ASB.... ;)

~Charles Legend

Houndoom_Lover
12th December 2008, 06:29 PM
They'll be night and day, won't there be. That really throws me off when they didn't have it. This whole new game really isn't impressing me, dispite all the new changes. I mean, I'll most likely get it- but the Pokemon People are really going to have to think of something else to make it interesting

Starry Might
15th December 2008, 02:22 PM
[color=wheat]I agree there is no reason for them to change Handsome, Pluto or even Torn World's names....
Yeah. Oh well.

Bulbapedia believes Pluto's named was changed to Charon for copyright reasons, though:

The character of Pluto, Team Galactic's resident scientist, has been renamed Charon, likely to avoid conflict with Disney much in the same way Team Galactic itself was renamed from the more literal Team Galaxy.
Just sayin'. :lookout: (Though TBPH, I don't know if there's even an issue here.)

Jeff
16th January 2009, 05:58 PM
http://www.pokemon.com/#news_/XML/news_341.xml

Shaymin, along with its Sky Forme, has been officially unveiled to North America. I found this quote on the page to be interesting:

...how do you get Shaymin in your Pokémon Diamond Version or Pokémon Pearl Version game?

Stay tuned to Pokemon.com for the latest information!

So it sounds like the WiFi event to get Shaymin will be available in Diamond and Pearl for North America, instead of just in Platinum as it is in Japan.

palamon
16th January 2009, 07:24 PM
I want this game when it comes out in march..... I can't wait for it to come out ^_^.

pokemonfuzz
28th January 2009, 08:47 AM
the island ur talkin about is called the battle area and it jus supported the battle tower and to get hetran. it was jus a add segment to dp.

Starry Might
29th January 2009, 02:09 PM
I want this game when it comes out in march..... I can't wait for it to come out ^_^.
I want it, too!

Anyhow, last night me and my Dad were (among other things) briefly discussing Formes. Well, when I showed him Rotom's different Formes, he pointed out that they reminded him of the movie "The Brave Little Toaster". :lol:

pokemonfuzz
11th February 2009, 11:17 AM
wow ur dad is right
they really do but now all we need is a blanket
lol.........

anyway i saw the first commical this morning for pokemon platinum it jus showed the destortion world giratina and how the trianers are now animated which is pretty cool
im really havin high hopes for this game