PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Lightbulbs?

mr_pikachu
14th June 2008, 01:55 AM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_KxgKK1ItGhQ/RhFVS7pnVPI/AAAAAAAAAM4/Qrh2WDuuIs0/s400/100_0247

Okay, so most of you have probably heard of the new, energy-efficient lightbulbs by now. For those who haven't, a brief recap...

The new lightbulbs cut energy use and reduce emissions. The U.S. government recently passed legislation to phase out the old version in 2009. Some other countries have already switched to the spiral.

Many preliminary users, however, have complained of problems with the new bulbs. Some say they provide less light than the original; others claim they cause migraines for those nearby. Perhaps most alarming is the mercury they contain (fun fact: mercury thermometers were all but outlawed in the U.S. years ago because of the danger that mercury poses). This means that old bulbs cannot simply be thrown in the trash; theoretically, one might have to call a HAZMAT team to clean up a broken lightbulb.

Still, for many proponents the benefits of reduced emissions and energy costs outweigh the detriments. Such inconveniences, they say, are inconsequential compared to the future of earth.

What do you think about the new spiral lightbulbs? Have you used them before? Or are you preparing for the change? Sound off, people!

Andrew
14th June 2008, 04:12 AM
I have 2 above me, they're great. Bit expensive.

Haven't blown once. Unlike the other normal ones that blow like 4 times a year.

Magmar
14th June 2008, 07:21 AM
I have 2 above me, they're great. Bit expensive.

Haven't blown once. Unlike the other normal ones that blow like 4 times a year.

Are you talking about prostitutes or light bulbs?:lemoncool:

http://slantmouth.com/articles/shutdown/images/jerseyCityProstitute.jpg

Okay, so most of you have probably heard of the new, energy-efficient hookers by now. For those who haven't, a brief recap...

Hookers cut energy use and reduce emissions. The U.S. government recently passed legislation to phase out marriage in 2009. Some other countries have already switched to hookers.

Many preliminary users, however, have complained of problems with whores. Some say they provide less light than the original (they're "dim"); others claim they cause migraines for those nearby. Perhaps most alarming is the mercury they contain (fun fact: mercury thermometers were all but outlawed in the U.S. years ago because of the danger that mercury poses). This means that old hookers cannot simply be thrown in the trash; theoretically, one might have to call a HAZMAT team to clean up a broken hooker.

Still, for many proponents the benefits of reduced emissions and energy costs outweigh the detriments. Such inconveniences, they say, are inconsequential compared to the future of earth.

What do you think about hookers? Have you used them before? Or are you preparing for the change? Sound off, people!

Blademaster
14th June 2008, 12:06 PM
They look futuristic. Buy 'em 'cuz they look cool. In a nerdy, Star Trek kinda way.

Heald
14th June 2008, 12:12 PM
My God, I can't think of any other...thing, that I care so little about that someone could possibly make a topic about.

Weeeee! Lightbulbs! Next week we'll talk about sand! Or paper!

...unless someone makes an Amy Winehouse topic. If you do, I will kill you.

Drusilla
14th June 2008, 03:10 PM
I have them in almost every light socket in the house. Time to think green! ^^

Oh, and Magmar, that is a clear WIN. XD

Crystal Mew
14th June 2008, 07:12 PM
I think my family has a couple around the house....I buy my own light bulbs for my room though, which aren't those energy efficient ones. They're those natural light ones, I like them alot, though they are also a tad expensive.

I dont really put much thought about light bulbs though...so uh, maybe i'll try them someday?

Andrew
14th June 2008, 07:14 PM
Magmar, there's a difference between hookers and drag queens. Hookers are slightly more acceptable.

Drusilla
14th June 2008, 11:00 PM
Magmar, there's a difference between hookers and drag queens. Hookers are slightly more acceptable.

I find drag queens more acceptable. I get along with them for the most part, and I went to school with too many of the other...

Roy Karrde
14th June 2008, 11:32 PM
My sister and I suffer from horrible migraines, especially my sister who experiences headaches almost daily. To think the Government is switching us to light bulbs that would enduce even more pain becuase of the utter STUPIDITY of the Global Warming Cult. Well... I'll be sure to burn a tree each day for light.

Drusilla
14th June 2008, 11:53 PM
"Global Warming Cult"? You're kidding, right?

SAVE THE PENGUINS! :(

Roy Karrde
15th June 2008, 12:08 AM
"Global Warming Cult"? You're kidding, right?

SAVE THE PENGUINS! :(

Yeah there is part of the whole Global Warming group that are so dead set in their beliefs that it is almost cult like.

Magmar
15th June 2008, 12:48 AM

Lol true but I googled for hooker and that was the first sizeable result... plus those lips? E definitely sells their body on the street for herpes like that... or had a severe allergic reaction to lip gloss.

Heald
15th June 2008, 05:51 AM
Yeah there is part of the whole Global Warming group that are so dead set in their beliefs that it is almost cult like.
Surely this applies to everything? Republicans, Democrats, Christians, Muslims etc. You can't write off an entire movement (especially one that is actually worth following i.e. saving the planet and not poisoning our atmosphere) just because of a few nuts. I hate Greenpeace as much as the next guy but I don't think we should write off environmentalism just because Greenpeace is full of cunts.

Weasel Overlord
15th June 2008, 06:37 AM
I didn't even know we could GET this kind of light bulb. Not seen anything about them around in old Englandia. I will say though, I have energy saving ones in my room and the light is irritatingly dim. Although I do like the fact that they take a bit of time to get bright, so if you put the light on in the middle of the night you don't go blind, lol.

Ah Roy, are you one of those "global warming isn't happening!!" people, then? Heald's right, everything has "cult-like" types. It's wrong to ignore the environment just because you don't like what the activists do. The extremists give everyone a bad name, just like with everything else.

Although I would suggest NOT investing in Atmos for your cars, people. The Sontarans will attack!! *looks around in paranoia*

EDIT: I am already prone to migraines though, so I'm slightly worried about what those lights will do to me.

Heald
15th June 2008, 07:30 AM
We do have energy-saving bulbs in England, but the spiral ones aren't that common, they usually take another shape. I've never heard of the mercury dangers or the migraine factor. I personally don't use energy saving bulbs but that's that really.

I'd personally recommend candles: especially when you're playing a fantasy game like Oblivion, it can really help set the mood.

Roy Karrde
15th June 2008, 10:20 AM
Ah Roy, are you one of those "global warming isn't happening!!" people, then? Heald's right, everything has "cult-like" types. It's wrong to ignore the environment just because you don't like what the activists do. The extremists give everyone a bad name, just like with everything else.

Oh no dont get me wrong, I believe Global Warming is happening, there is no doubt the Earth is getting warmer. It is the belief that Humans are to blame that I am skeptical about, especially since there is so many unknowns and so much evidence going both ways.

Drusilla
15th June 2008, 02:09 PM
I'd personally recommend candles: especially when you're playing a fantasy game like Oblivion, it can really help set the mood.

(y) Candles are awesome.

And on the migraine business... I wonder if this is why I have been having so many lately? I don't really care, though; pain is a part of life, and I've learned to ignore it. Well, with some possible exceptions... but, ah... that's not a discussion for the kiddies, don'tcha know? ^_~

Clark
16th June 2008, 12:08 AM
I have a few glowing somewhere around here. Theres alot of other things you can do to cut back cost of energy through your house if you are trying to save money on the bill.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th June 2008, 01:53 AM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z83/Mikayuta/poista.jpg

Translation: Hey Urpo! First I didn't see you because it was so dark but then I invented to set my shirt in fire!

I drew this picture when I was 12.

RedStarWarrior
16th June 2008, 04:32 AM
I've been buying LED bulbs for awhile now...where the fuck have you guys been?

Heald
16th June 2008, 05:29 AM
I had an LED torch once; it was the biggest piece of shit I ever owned. I traded that bad boy in for a proper maglite soon enough.

RedStarWarrior
16th June 2008, 06:09 AM
The old LEDs devices were shit. I own 7 maglites, but I use my LED flashlight more. Why? It's bright as shit and the battery lasts forever.

Toxicity
17th June 2008, 11:54 AM
I don't have any because the sockets I own only accept the phallus-shaped light bulbs. They do sound convincing, but I've had migraine issues as of late for reasons I don't know of.

Next think I'm expecting is cartoons to feature LED bulbs when a character has an idea, possibly lit green for laughs.

mistysakura
17th June 2008, 06:28 PM
I didn't know about the migraines... Don't they work on the same principle as the fluorescent tubes that live in every office building? And the spiral lightbulbs aren't new, are they? The supermarkets have had them for as long as I can remember (although as Heald said, in a different shape). Anyway, the ones in my house are working well. Haven't blown yet, yay.

Toxicity
19th June 2008, 11:23 PM
I came close to getting some the other day, but for two 60 watt bulbs it was over $7, to me a hefty price at the time.

mr_pikachu
20th June 2008, 12:22 AM
And the spiral lightbulbs aren't new, are they?

It's a new issue in the U.S., as the government is now mandating a change to the new bulbs by law. That's why people are concerned about it now, even if they were sold in the past.

(I will say, however, that I never saw a single spiral lightbulb in stores before the new legislation. Haven't seen one since, either, although that's mostly because I haven't gone to Lowe's in awhile.)

Drago
20th June 2008, 01:12 AM
Pfft, I go with the flow when it's accessible and affordable. I won't go out actively seeking these spiral bulbs, but once they're in full circulation you won't hear me complaining.
The benefits do sound nice, though those limitations make me a mite bit wary. I'll accept their shortcomings, though. I bet Einstein turned himself all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb. :heh:

mr_pikachu
20th June 2008, 01:18 AM
Edison /= Einstein.

And I'm not sure how affordable they'll be in practice. As I mentioned before, there is some debate over how much light they actually provide; if you need twice as many bulbs for each room then you may have to reconsider any perceived discount.

firepokemon
20th June 2008, 04:04 AM
They're mandating them here as well. As for the light they provide, they don't get bright automatically like normal lightbulbs and they're slightly duller than normal lightbulbs but rather minimal. I haven't been too happy with them, because two of ours stopped working when supposedly we should get way longer use out of them. So while yeah they might be cheaper to run, I'm not sure their claims of being longer lasting have that much validity.

And really theres more important stuff to worry about than spiral lightbulbs. This is where I have problems with the global warming argument here. They're talking of getting rid of old fridges because they use more electricity. Well yes they do and some of them are quite dangerous and need to be replaced. But the whole idea that you buy a new one and that will help global warming just doesn't cut it with me since the making of that new fridge results in global warming. This is why I hate the global warming argument, not because its necessarily incorrect. I have the opinion its not as bad as they're making out. But regardless, a majority of people are starting to agree with it. But here in New Zealand a big cost is heating, for individuals and clearly if more heating is required that ultimately uses up more greenhouse gases. And yet instead of making sure homes have proper insulation and the like they're more concerned with solar heating which is arguably as expensive and arguably doesn't bring as many benefits to the global warming cause or the individual/family as using less heating in homes.

Global warming is confusing but this isn't what this thread was about. Spiral Light Bulbs, well two of ours broke way too early so I don't think that much of them. As for being upset they're replacing normal light bulbs it doesn't worry me.

RedStarWarrior
20th June 2008, 04:53 AM
fp, most of the spiral lightbulbs come with warranties. At least, all the ones I bought came with 7 year warranties. They are guaranteed to work for 7 years or they will replace them for free.

firepokemon
20th June 2008, 05:36 AM
Lol it probably did, but we couldn't be fucked. lol. They'd only want the receipt anyway and who keeps a receipt for a light bulb.

RedStarWarrior
20th June 2008, 05:57 AM
The company will generally provide the replacement, not the store. Either way, I'd send a bitchy email.

PNT510
20th June 2008, 11:58 AM
Company will still probably want the receipt from where he bought it so his point still stands.

Drago
21st June 2008, 12:49 PM
Edison /= Einstein.
Simpsons quote. I'm not that dumb, man. :P

Roy Karrde
21st June 2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

A great clip from the House this week about the problems of these stupid light bulbs. I was actually hoping he would break it...

Heald
30th June 2008, 06:12 AM
Dates have just been released certifying the UK's turnover to these bulbs. I'm still undecided about these things, but I don't want to be forced to change over to these things, especially considering the migraine factor and the mercury factor. If the old bulbs do finally go, I'm seriously considering candles.

firepokemon
4th July 2008, 04:11 AM
Ooh candles and Heald. House fire, house fire, house fire.

Andrew
4th July 2008, 06:42 AM
Oh god, please please please!

Jeff
4th July 2008, 09:09 PM
My family switched over to them a couple years ago when electric rates soared due to the state deregularizing electric rates. I've had them in my bedroom fan for a while now, and haven't noticed any problems from them. The only issue I have with them is that they don't work with dimmer switches, which is a good enough reason to keep the old ones around for people who need dimmer switches.

Blademaster
5th July 2008, 03:46 AM
Heald's gonna burn some shit, I know it already...