PDA

View Full Version : crazy one-shot idea

mario72486
13th July 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm sure that most of us know and love Dark Sage's work, Yu-Gi-Oh: The Thousand-Year Door. He covered several important aspects of the original Gamecube came, including characters, important locations and storylines. There was one area, though, that was left unchecked, for reasons I'm sure are obvious.

That would be the Pit of 100 Trials.

While not necessary for beating the game, it's still a challenge several gamers would want to complete, considering you face Bonetail, the strongest enemy at the very end.

Suppose a miscellaneous character chose to return to Rogueport to forego the 100 Trials. What would he/she be like? What kind of valuable would at the end of it all for him/her to make such a suicidal choice? Better yet, since Duel Monsters could still be carried out after the events of the fic, what kind of deck would Bonetail be running?

I wanted to try answering such questions, but I don't want to advance without getting permission from Sage. Also, if anyone is willing to give advice for a project like this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

If I'm going to do this kind of one-shot, I'd like to make it one to remember...

Shuppet Master
14th July 2008, 08:50 PM
Heck, I'm all for it! I tried to do a spin-off three times, but it got nowhere fast. I can talk to Dark Sage for you and see what he thinks.

The Pit of 100 Trials in fanfiction form is a bit difficult between trying to write each floor as a seperate place. Since there are, well, 100 floors, it would be impossible to give each floor a seperate world setting.

A good idea would be that most of the 100 trials have become unaccessible, so you can cut the number of "Realms" to a decent number(around six is fine). Dark Sage is doing something like that with Soul of Silicon, only focusing on six realms.

If you are looking for contributions, I'll be there. I'm planning a joint-fic with Mystic_clown, but I can give ideas.

mario72486
14th July 2008, 09:27 PM
The plan didn't exactly call for a full 100 chapters. The idea was to summarize some of the duels the character is involved in, then focus on the duel against Bonetail and why the character is down there in the first place. To be honest, I don't exactly have the time or energy to put into a full-fledged fic. I wanted to consider this more of a fun little personal project.

mr_pikachu
15th July 2008, 12:21 AM
I think the Pit of 100 Trials is a fine idea; with it being a pseudo-secret area, you could add a lot of suspense and mystique via the setting alone.

One caution, however... avoid dull repetition at all costs. Traditional YGO fics always risk being overly repetitious due to the nature of anime tournaments, and the Pit of 100 Trials could pose similar challenges. As other fanficcers here have demonstrated, though, it's certainly possible to overcome those barriers. Just make sure there's something beyond, "Hey, there's someone fighting a series of duels that get progressively harder!" to keep your readers interested.

I will add that if this is a one-shot, avoiding repetition will be a lot easier. I suppose the main thing will simply be to ensure that it's a worthwhile read. Hook your readers and give 'em something to chew. Generic advice, yes, but that's pretty much all I can tell you. Good luck!