PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon causes cancer. Pikachu causes vision.

mr_pikachu
22nd July 2008, 04:28 PM
I'm sure most of us remember the stories about how, for a time, Pokemon caused cancer (read here (http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/54387.cfm)). Well. now scientists have declared that Pikachu is responsible for our stellar eyesight.

From Research Team Names Protein After Pokémon's Pikachu (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-22/research-team-names-protein-after-pokemon-pikachu):

Not-So-Daily Link of the Day: Researchers led by Takahisa Furukawa, M.D. & Ph.D. of Japan's Osaka Bioscience Institute have named a protein that they discovered after the Pikachu character from Nintendo's Pokémon game and anime franchise. The "Pikachurin" protein plays a role in the efficient transmission of kinetic vision information from the eyes to the brain, so the researchers named the protein after the Pokémon character known for its fast moves. The researchers expect that the discovery will help advance the treatments for retinitis pigmentosa, a major hereditary cause of blindness.

This begs the obvious question... what does the Bidoof gene do?

classy_cat18
22nd July 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm sure most of us remember the stories about how, for a time, Pokemon caused cancer (read here (http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/54387.cfm)). Well. now scientists have declared that Pikachu is responsible for our stellar eyesight.

*snickers* Causes stupidity. Dee dee dee!

Wow, those scientists are more lighthearted than I thought.

Houndoom_Lover
22nd July 2008, 05:12 PM
Best artical ever! XD

firepokemon
22nd July 2008, 10:14 PM
How excellent. Sonic the Hedgehog was also used for some type of protein/gene or something like. Very good article. Beats being a cancer that's for sure.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
23rd July 2008, 11:38 PM
This made me laugh aloud. At first I thought watching Pokemon would trigger a certain protein. Fortunately this is less serious than the Porygon seizures because it's only a name.

Ultimate Charizard
23rd July 2008, 11:45 PM
Ok i dont get it.

Either im bein stupid or im more innocent than i think. WTF is the reference with Bidoof? Anyone wanna enlighten me?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th July 2008, 12:24 AM
Maybe I got this wrong, too, I ignored the first link so don't wonder if my first post seems odd.

mr_pikachu
24th July 2008, 03:46 AM
Er, the Bidoof thing was pretty much a joke. You know, since they're naming genes after Pokemon and all....

Let's just say that Bidoof's attracted its fair share of odd connotations. I'll leave it at that. :heh:

mistysakura
24th July 2008, 05:36 AM
Well, what with up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom, I have no problems believing this. Scientists are weird. I wouldn't want to be one of the scientists' kid.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
24th July 2008, 07:30 AM
That's very intersting and charming in a way. If you have money to spare and want to make sure a loved one is remembered by science in centuries to come, there's a website where you can have newly discovered species of animals and flowers named after a person of your choice ... for a price. http://www.biopat.de/englisch/index_e.htm

DarkestLight
24th July 2008, 04:38 PM
So I herd u like mudkips? Ur mudkip jean makez u liek mudkips :D!

Toxicity
24th July 2008, 05:17 PM
So I herd u like mudkips? Ur mudkip jean makez u liek mudkips :D!

I guess this means the Seaking gene results in excessive violence and swearing. Not to mention the Shiny Pidgey gene of excessively becoming excited...

Starry Might
4th August 2008, 02:04 PM
:lol: @ this topic.

When I first saw the topic title, I was like "April Fool's Day was so many months and days ago..."

Naming biological stuff after Pokemon...genius! :D

homeofmew
4th August 2008, 10:33 PM
Bidoof lol it also shows up as BDIF (Best Deck in Format)

EngiMatikul
5th August 2008, 05:21 PM
Well, what with up, down, charm, strange, top, bottom, I have no problems believing this. Scientists are weird. I wouldn't want to be one of the scientists' kid.

I take offense in that.

Charles Legend
11th August 2008, 10:54 PM

I think it makes People stupid enough to win a Darwin award! LOL XD

mistysakura[/B] Scientists are weird. I wouldn't want to be one of the scientists' kid. Yeah Ada, but thats putting it lightly, and that's debatable on the one hand it would be kind of cool because I'm some what of a resacher myself, but on the other hand I'd hate it if my parents expected me to like win at every science fair I enter or like invent the cure for the common cold. wich is laughable in it's own right.

~Charles Legend