PDA

View Full Version : Question from a fic n00b

Dragon_Claw
10th April 2003, 10:23 AM
Is it better to write about me and her or about him and her. If I'm not making myself clear, and example:

Then James threw his pokéball, and a vicious plant pokémon came out. Ash asked his pokédex, revealing the name of this plant: Victreebell. But as soon as Victreebell came out of his pokéball, it attacked James. While Jessie was laughing, Ash and the gang already run off, not wanting to battle.

or

Then I threw his pokéball, and a vicious plant pokémon came out. Ash asked his pokédex, revealing the name of this plant: Victreebell. But as soon as Victreebell came out of his pokéball, it attacked me . While Jessie was laughing, Ash and the gang already run off, not wanting to battle.

Mewfour
10th April 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by PokéRuler
Is it better to write about me and her or about him and her. If I'm not making myself clear, and example:

Don't go for "me and her," but go for "her and I" or "him and her."

This free grammar lesson was brought to you by the letter Q for no apparent reason at all.

The Rusted One
10th April 2003, 07:11 PM
All hail the mighty Q.

Anyway - I'm not sure - I mean, if it's a character we already know, but only from a third person perspective, a first person view could be good. I mean, it can reveal a lot of a character, let us see what he or she thinks, feels, what their demons are - it provides a very personal view that can help us understand why the character does what it does.

With the third person perspective, however, there is the possibility of not focusing on one person and keeping it not so personal, but having room for more flexibility with all of the characters. Both views have their merits, but also their limitations.

The third person perspective can, in some cases, be an unneeded and unwanted perspective - if a character is already known to a certain degree, and small insights have been given, sometimes trying to tell a story from their perspective all the time can get boring and tiresome; on the other hand, a thrid person perspective never allows any details to be given of the personality aside from what we see from the outside. This can become frustrated because people may do things that the audience may want explained, but never get the explanation they want - no sort of, "I thought it would be a good idea because of this...", just "he did it because...the end." There can be very little emotional conflict within one character when it is third person perspective writing, but then, too much insight into a character can be something of a bane, too - sometimes, mystery is wanted too.

So yeah, it's a hard decision - you could try writing a few scenes, and see which perspective is more challenging and interesting.

Hope it helps.