PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Animes, Mangas, Games VERSION 2

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th August 2008, 11:51 PM
Like in the first version (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17130), instead of asking your own favourite animes, mangas and videogames, I reverse the idea and ask your opinions on anime series, manga series or videogame series I've chosen.

Note that some of these are in all the three formats (anime, manga, videogame) so you may decide what format you tell us about or you can tell your opinion on all the formats, if you like.

13. Full Metal Alchemist
14. Neon Genesis Evangelion
15. Bleach
16. Azumanga Daioh
17. Ranma1/2
18. Dears
19. Grand Theft Auto
20. Ratchet & Clank
21. Sonic
22. Gran Turismo
23. Civilization
24. Command & Conquer

My answers:

13. Full Metal Alchemist

Kill me, Full Metal Alchemist fans, but I can't understand why this is so popular. Perhaps I just haven't watched it enough. I usually like Japanese songs but the opening song Melissa is horrible in my opinion although it sure has nice lyrics.

Kinda hard to keep up with, but I have almost every eppie showed in Finland on tape. Mainly becuase it's so different from the other animes shown here in Finland. And I love the intro Zankoku Na Tenshi No Teze. ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD.

15. Bleach

I've only seen a couple of AMVs but looks interesting. And Ichigo is familiar from mr_pikachu's War of the Forums. Maybe someone can enlighten this to me?

16. Azumanga Daioh

I know a girl who likes this. Probably we'll never see it on Finnish TV.

17. Ranma1/2

I think Ranma isn't bad, it has good humor and keen ideas. Still waiting for mr_Pikachu to use the main character in WotF.

18. Dears

The closest to hentai I've got. Beautiful girls in very strange outfits.

19. Grand Theft Auto

I liked GTA2 very much. Great fun. I haven't played the new versions too much, but I dislike them because the violence stands out too much in 3D. In GTA2, the people were like insects you crush.

20. Ratchet & Clank

I'm a jerk and say stupid modern platformers. Why does Ratchet have to break everything with that wrench? He can also blast them with a rocket launcher. Wow. (Un)fortunately PS has no Mario as Nintendo still stands.

21. Sonic

I like it almost as much as Mario. Good speed. I love Sonic Heroes intro. Like a laser beam my eyes on you!

22. Gran Turismo

I don't get this game.

23. Civilization

I've played the first game of these series on computer quite a lot. I never got through it at higher difficulty levels, Chieftain level is enough for me.

24. Command & Conquer

Quite fun, but I laugh at this sometimes because it doen't give too realistic image of war. I'd better stop here.

MToolen
15th August 2008, 10:46 AM
As a blanket statement, I don't read manga.

13. Full Metal Alchemist
I really got into this show, the feel and workings of it, but my bro was the real fanatic.

I've only heard of it.

15. Bleach
I'll admit, I was hooked through the Soul Society arc but my interest has waned recently.

16. Azumanga Daioh
I've only heard the title.

17. Ranma1/2
I've heard of it and the premise sounds funny.

18. Dears
Never heard of it.

19. Grand Theft Auto
I dabbled, nothing too addictive. The original top-down platformer was pretty fun, but I was not a good driver otherwise.

20. Ratchet & Clank
Never played it but the humor looked okay.

21. Sonic
I played 2, Knuckles, and maybe 3 when I was a kid. And, I mean, I was okay with it, I guess.

22. Gran Turismo
I might've played this once; I'm just not good at realistic drivers. Give me Mario Kart any day.

23. Civilization
I loved I and III; not entirely sure why I didn't have II but yeah, they were great to hone my logistics out on.

24. Command & Conquer
Never got into it.

Blademaster
15th August 2008, 10:39 PM
Sweet, a second installment. Let's see how many fanboys I can piss off this time...

13. Full Metal Alchemist
Saw the anime; am a big fan of both it as well as the idea/practice of alchemy.

Never watched it.

15. Bleach
Never watched it, but I have a latent love of it due to mr_pikachu presenting me as Ichigo Kurosaki in War of the Forums.

16. Azumanga Daioh
Watched a couple of early episodes. Most overrated and unfunny anime I've ever seen.

17. Ranma1/2
Never watched; am familiar with and slightly disturbed by the premise.

18. Dears
Huh? Never heard of it.

19. Grand Theft Auto
Now that I have a 360, I'll be buying and playing GTAIV soon. This may change then.

20. Ratchet & Clank
The bottom of the ladder in terms of kid-friendly platformers made by non-Nintendo companies, after Sonic, Banjo-Kazooie, Jak and Daxter, and Crash Bandicoot.

21. Sonic
Have only been a devoted fan for about 2 years; have played and loved many games, including Shadow the Hedgehog. Am eagerly awaiting Sonic Unleashed.

22. Gran Turismo
Never played it and have no desire to: Anything less creative than Mario Kart, less nostalgic than Pole Position, and less aggressive than Burnout isn't really worth playing to me.

23. Civilization
If this is short for 'Civilization Revolution,' it intrigues me and I'll be buying it on the 360 soon enough. If it isn't, then I'm unfamiliar with it.

24. Command & Conquer
Never played it.

classy_cat18
15th August 2008, 11:37 PM
13. Full Metal Alchemist
My favorite anime. The characters are fantastic, especially Greed. I need a new FMA poster. Oh, and "Rewrite"? Best. Opening. Ever.

Shinji's too whiny, Asuka's too bossy, Rei's too cold, and the whole anime's too confusing. But for some reason I still liked to watch it.

15. Bleach
OMG, has WotF influenced its readers so much that it's the only reason that they know Ichigo? Arrancar Arc kicks ass. Grimmjow's so cool. But Renji's the main reason I keep watching Bleach.

16. Azumanga Daioh
Never watched it. *shields self from anime fans*

17. Ranma1/2
Watched one episode and it seemed okay. I knew someone who was a big fan.

18. Dears
Never watched it, and thank God that I didn't.

19. Grand Theft Auto
Okay, never played it. But the freedom to do anything is enough to tempt me to try. I love chaos, heh heh.

20. Ratchet & Clank
It's good for a platformer. I played the first one. Wish I could get the PS3 R&C. But first I need to get a PS3.

21. Sonic
Sonic 1 & 2 are two of my favorite games ever. I still play them on Sonic Mega Collection. But the poor hedgehog seriously needs to step up his game.

22. Gran Turismo
Never played it.

23. Civilization
Played it once. Kicked my ass. Still loved it.

24. Command & Conquer
Would like to play it.

mr_pikachu
15th August 2008, 11:49 PM
How do you keep choosing anime I've seen, even when they're obscure?

13. Full Metal Alchemist
You know, I actually think this is a little overhyped. That's not to say it's bad; on the contrary, it's excellent. However, it's been hyped like it's the best series of all time or something, and I honestly think it falls well short of such a distinction. It's worth any anime fan's time, with a cool concept, strong characters, and a pretty strong plot. It's just not quite as epic as it's been portrayed.

This series is probably overhyped as well, but I think it's a bit more deserving of it. NGE legitimately could be one of the best anime of all time, particularly since it's become the series against which every mecha series measures itself. The first few episodes set the tone, and yet they only scratch the surface of this unbelievable tandem of technology, religion and philosophy that form the core of all thinking behind a series filled with spectacular fights. For a mecha series, it goes so far beyond that.

In fact, I'll go a step further and say that I aspire to write something as rich as Eva in terms of characters, background, plotline, and so forth. Fantastic stuff, even if it's been inflated slightly beyond what it might deserve.

I've never played the game(s?). As for the manga, I've read... some of it. (It's a shame that the main series has been stalled so much, but I haven't read more than the first couple of volumes anyway.) Oddly, the Angelic Days saga really fascinates me. I've actually considered buying it... loved the scanlations before they were taken offline when the series was licensed abroad.

15. Bleach
Like FMA, I think this is rather overhyped. It's also a worthwhile series, don't get me wrong, but I'm starting to think it's lost a bit of the luster it first held. Too many fights that you know are going to be won while the characters proceed toward the "boss" of each arc, with too few twists. While I'm about 30 or so episodes behind the subs, there haven't been any twists that come close to the big one of the Soul Society arc (which I won't spoil for those who haven't seen it). Ulquiorra's recent blackmail may change that, but I've grown a tad jaded in the meantime.

16. Azumanga Daioh
This series is hard for me to classify, as the plotline is pretty much irrelevant. It's all about the characters and their insane interactions. Very comedic, and definitely worth watching (or reading, based on what I've seen from the manga). Some of my friends liken it to Pani Poni Dash, but I think PPD is a bit too over-the-top nuts. Azumanga hits the right level, methinks.

17. Ranma 1/2
Ironically, the one anime on this list I haven't seen. Haven't touched the manga, either. From what I've heard, the concept and execution are strong; mention "Ranma syndrome" to any anime fan and your meaning will be obvious. That's how much it's been copied (see: Akamatsu's A.I. Love You, which I actually enjoyed). For me, though, the massive series just isn't worth the price of admission. Maybe someday I'll get around to streaming it.

18. Dears
An obscure series that I've actually seen! Okay, I've seen part of it. As far as I can tell, it looks quite good. Maybe a bit of a Chobits ripoff in places, but nothing too horrible. Very memorable characters.

19. Grand Theft Auto
Not a big fan of this series, actually. I recognize it as being good, but the concept and gameplay just isn't for me.

20. Ratchet & Clank
Minimal experience with this one. Honestly, I think it's overhyped, but that could just be because I haven't immersed myself in it.

21. Sonic
Classic! It has, unfortunately, gone south in recent years. They really need to get back to the glory of 2D gameplay; gamers will go for that instead of the crap that is 3D Sonic. (Need evidence? Just look at the popularity of Sonic in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.) I'd much sooner buy a port of the old titles than any of the new ones.

22. Gran Turismo
Serious driving games aren't really my thing (another mark against GTA, as well). It's the best for a reason, but I'm not a car person, so tricking out my ride just doesn't hold much luster.

23. Civilization
Like The Sims, this is one of those series I never really got into. I'd rather try something with an original concept and gameplay than yet another "play God" game. The minimal time I'd really spend on it just wouldn't make it worth the cash.

24. Command & Conquer
See previous answer.

Drago
16th August 2008, 07:44 AM
13. Full Metal Alchemist is angry for being excluded.
lol. Rockin'.

13. Full Metal Alchemist
As I think I may have alluded to in the past, I became a really really big fan of this back in 2005, looking forward each week to the next episode, and I have to say there wasn't really anything in it I particularly disliked. I loved the premise, the characters, the storyline, and the risks it takes.
That being said, I felt shocked and a little gypped that it only ran for a single season. Admittedly, it prevents it from going the way of the Pokemon anime, but damn man - I had spent the last 50-something weeks watching this show, and then it just... ended? Shocked the hell out of me.

When I first watched it, I was a little too young to entirely get to grips with the themes and everything - haven't seen it in so long, though I think I'd be able to appreciate things better. That being said, I preferred the fun aspects of the anime as opposed to the apocalyptic themes (again, my immaturity at the time), and towards the end when things started going loopy it had me boggled. Again, I'd get it now, but I still prefer when it's big things smacking each other around rather than Shinji going bonkers.

15. Bleach
One of many unknown to me. Heard of it, know nothing of it. Rat morningstar? :heh:

16. Azumanga Daioh
I have a work friend who's got a WoW character named Azumanga. Fun parallel!

17. Ranma1/2
That's that guy-chick, right? Zany.

18. Dears
You've lost me there.

19. Grand Theft Auto
Got 3, VC and SA. Really fun games and I enjoy them for a while, but after a couple months intensive playing I often find I never touch them again. Though I admit, each new installment entices me to buy again.

20. Ratchet & Clank
Know little to nothing about it.

21. Sonic
WUZ MAI BOI. I loved the games as a kid, but I think I loved the character more. I was the demographic he was created for, and I'm still a fan. Sonic in Brawl = taking that good old boy and smacking around some wannabe superstars (lol marf fanboys :P ). Admittedly I can see the games as being pretty shallow nowadays, but so what, they were fun. Taking a noob along as Tails was great, too. Watch them go off and die! *classic Tails dying sound*

22. Gran Turismo
*warm fuzzy memories* Played the demo for the original on PlayStation sooooo many times. I love PlayStation demoes. Got #3 on PS2, played it a little but was ultimately wasted on me. Don't think I've touched it since '01 or something like that. I was a big fan of Need for Speed - GT3 was definitely an also-ran.

23. Civilization
Never played.

24. Command & Conquer
Never played. Require interesting analogy. Samson.