PDA

View Full Version : fay.

Magmar
20th August 2008, 11:28 PM
Anyone else on TPM having problems with that stupid tropical storm?

Fay decided that rather than move through Florida and fuck shit up like a regular tropical storm, it was going to meander over south central Florida, strengthen somehow (meteorologists don't know jack I'm telling you), and just dump about 25" of rain on my parents' house. While I don't like them very much, it is a MESS in Melbourne, and I wouldn't be surprised if it is declared a disaster area.

On top of all the lovely rain, a tornado whipped through my parents' neighborhood and destroyed 51 houses! Fortunately their home is still standing, but the damage is all over the place! The storm stalled out to the south of Melbourne, and the traditionally more dangerous "northeast quadrant" of Fay is what has been causing all the damage in Melbourne.

Now the storm is to the northeast of Melbourne and is stalling and moving west again! It's such a mess.

Anyone else having their summers/winters (for Gabi and maybe two others) screwed by the weather??

MToolen
21st August 2008, 12:27 AM
Well, in the sense of the last question, yes, the weather has screwed over our summer. I work at a pool and we haven't been open barely half the days due to inclement weather and low attendance. The long and short of it is we need hot sunny days to stay up and running and we didn't have either.

Crystal Mew
21st August 2008, 03:23 AM
Seeing as I live in New Mexico the only things we get are forest fires.... other than that, its pretty tame here all year round.

one reason I like living here :)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st August 2008, 04:51 AM
We here in Finland are lucky because we haven't got hurricans and such but the clobal warming may bring them here too. This summer it has rained a lot. Some thunderstorms, too, but I think no casualties, all they do is just that electricity turns off. Some say stuff like "This is Finland's summer." but in my opinion it isn't!

And my condolences.

Drusilla
21st August 2008, 09:09 AM
I had to do a minor evacuation for Edouard, or whatever the hell it was. It was annoying, but at least we didn't have a repeat of Rita. Ugh.

Lady Vulpix
21st August 2008, 11:45 AM
Wow, a question addressed to me! It's been a gentle winter, actually. Last year we had snow on July 9th, but I don't think that will happen again any time soon.

Jeff
21st August 2008, 12:37 PM
I haven't been getting screwed by the weather lately, in fact, just the opposite. For anyone who isn't familiar with the geography of Maryland, it can pretty much be summed up as "Water water everywhere". Humidity is usually a problem during the summer, but oddly enough, just about the entire month of August has been pretty tame this year. We've been seeing temperatures down in the 70s and very little humidity. I've been enjoying the nice weather while I can. I haven't been paying much attention to the hurricanes yet this year so I haven't seen what most of them are doing, but from what I've seen it looks like they're going up the East Coast, and when they do that, we usually get them in September. The last big one we got was Isabel in '03 and it was a mess. Floyd back in the '90s was another bad one. Not looking forward to it.

Drago
29th August 2008, 10:00 AM
Hope all's going well now, Maggy.
The weather around these parts has been rather cold and miserable. Or at least, it has been during my usual outdoor hours - 7-8 am in the morning for uni and 2-4 am after work shifts... Though perhaps it's because I'm galavanting around so much in the morning that I'm always cold? I kinda miss daytime.

mr_pikachu
30th August 2008, 08:50 PM
Important news on Hurricane Gustav.

New Orleans orders mandatory evacuation (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/gustav_gulf_coast)

If this turns out anywhere remotely close to the tragedy that Katrina was, all hell is going to break loose.

classy_cat18
30th August 2008, 08:56 PM
Mobile's most likely going to evacuate too since it's on the Gulf Coast. The hotels in the nearby states are going to fill up quickly.

Drusilla
30th August 2008, 09:11 PM
I'm glad that I'm not in Galveston right now, since it keeps shifting west... Ugh.

Good luck to everyone who's evacuating.

mr_pikachu
31st August 2008, 01:24 PM
McCain orders convention changes because of storm (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080831/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_convention_rdp)

I feel like I should be glad that the nominee-in-waiting, along with the current administration (Bush, Cheney, and several state governors won't even attend the GOP convention), are taking Gustav seriously. Yet, the fact that they're taking it seriously has me worried. Hopefully this thing won't cause as much damage as they seem to expect....

Crystal Mew
31st August 2008, 03:54 PM
Well I sure hope we all learned our lesson from Katrina...so hopefully it won't be a repeat of that!

Blademaster
31st August 2008, 06:27 PM
If this turns out anywhere remotely close to the tragedy that Katrina was, all hell is going to break loose.

Consider it already broken loose. I've looked at maps and reports of this thing, and it's big, and it's heading straight for New Orleans.

I hate to say it, but at the rate Gustav is moving and growing right now... Even if the evacuation is successful, the city of New Orleans itself will be underwater by the end of the week. Again.

Drusilla
31st August 2008, 10:35 PM
And to think... my great aunt and uncle just finished repairs on their home and bed and breakfast in the French Quarter... ><

firepokemon
1st September 2008, 05:11 AM
Hmm well anyone from United States and in that area. I hope you, your family and friends are all safe and well.

I see its weakening but is still at the strength that Hurricane Katrina was. I'm glad we don't seem to get such things here, having to evacuate and put up with these things I would imagine is horrible.

mr_pikachu
1st September 2008, 01:30 PM
Gustav slams La. coastline west of New Orleans (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/gustav_gulf_coast)

New Orleans residents are holding out hope that the levees will hold, since Gustav all but missed their city. (Which, when you think about it, is a little odd, as they're pretty much conceding that a direct hit would have trashed the town once more. It seems like it'll happen sooner or later, and if those walls can't hold....)

Let us all pray for the safety of those in the southeast U.S.

mistysakura
1st September 2008, 06:30 PM
Ouch. Wishing everyone in that area well.

Magmar
2nd September 2008, 12:09 AM
Ooh! I can chime in! Meteorology's my future career and all... time to spew useless information...

Gustav passed to the west of New Orleans.

The worst part of the storm is the northeast quadrant... that's why when Fay moved over southwest Florida, Melbourne was the hardest hit... it's not the worst at just the eye, it's worst to the north and east. Hence tornadoes in southeast LA, Mississippi and Alabama; New Orleans definitely got its ass handed to it by this storm.

mr_pikachu
2nd September 2008, 12:10 AM
The following is a self-updating image of Gustav showing its current location as well as the most recent path projections, courtesy of the National Hurricane Center.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT07/refresh/AL0708W5+gif/210234W_sm.gif

Also: Gustav only sideswipes New Orleans as levees hold (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/gustav)

Thank God.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
2nd September 2008, 12:38 AM
Hm, a friend of mine had a question and I don't know if it kinda suits here, but in the United States of America, if your house is damaged by a hurricane or other natural disaster, does your insurance cover it?

mr_pikachu
2nd September 2008, 12:41 AM
In most cases, residents in areas frequently hit by hurricanes are required to have insurance for stuff like wind and flooding. That's part of why Katrina was so devastating, though... certain areas that were supposed to be protected by the levees were under what was called a "100-year flood plan," in which the chances of that place flooding were so infinitesimal that it was supposed to happen no more than once a century. Residents in such areas aren't required to have flood insurance... so many people lost everything.

Roy Karrde
2nd September 2008, 12:53 AM
Between 7PM Tomorrow and 7PM Wednesday is when the Hurricane will be near the DFW area. It should be a pretty bumpy night tomorrow night.

Jeff
4th September 2008, 02:38 PM
I knew the nice weather here wouldn't last. It looks like Hanna is getting ready to nail the East Coast. (http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/084713.shtml?5day?large#contents) We're bracing ourselves, it's probably going to be a messy weekend. Also, good luck to everyone in the Carolinas.

Blademaster
4th September 2008, 03:18 PM
ANOTHER one?!

Man... Massive storms are bombarding the country non-stop, legendary celebrities are dying left and right (Movie legend Don LaFontaine just recently joined the likes of George Carlin and Isaac Hayes. :(), McCain is gaining ground in the race to become President...

What the FUCK is God's problem this year!? :mad2:

Knight of Time
4th September 2008, 05:40 PM
Meh, I feel sorry for you guys who get the worst of the hurricanes down south, up here in Canada we get them too, but usually the remnants. About the worst thing that can happen here is a thunderstorm, and believe me, I really hate thunderstorms.

mr_pikachu
5th September 2008, 12:08 AM
What the FUCK is God's problem this year!? :mad2:

Funny how nobody ever noticed the hurricane season before Katrina. Now, it's front page news every day. Hate to say it, but we've had plenty of 'canes every bit as bad as Katrina (and some much worse, I'd bet). That one just happened to hit a weak spot... New Orleans and its subpar levees.

Blademaster
5th September 2008, 01:13 AM
Funny how nobody ever noticed the hurricane season before Katrina.

Funny how (A) Gustav was nearly a Category 5 Hurricane, making it technically one of the most powerful hurricanes in recorded history, (B) this topic started out ABOUT a tropical storm and as such gripes about the phenomena should be expected here, (C), Hanna was just mentioned and is evidently en route to rape the southeast coast, making it the third time in about a fortnight that the States are getting rammed by a life-threatening monster of wind and water and whatever else the hurricane picks up and feels like throwing around, (D) the rest of my gripes in that post were ignored (I was addressing God, not just Mother Nature/Mother Earth.), and (E) the 'nobody' in question was addressed towards one of my quotes, so it's safe for me to assume that your implication is that I am one of those 'nobody-ists' that never noticed hurricanes before Katrina.

OK, well, you're right there. I never really did study meteorological disasters (Geological ones like volcanoes and earthquakes pique my interest more.), but I know a few choice names prior to Katrina (Hurricane Andrew comes to mind.), and I know that hurricanes are some of the nastiest fuckers that nature can throw at us, and it throws a LOT of them at us each year. Katrina may have been a wake-up call for a lot of people about hurricanes, but I think that Jay's bizarre strengthening, Gustav's recent showcase, and Hanna's incoming delivery are a bit of a different type of wake-up call: Hurricanes, tropical storms, and a lot of other weather-related activities are becoming stronger, more dangerous, and in some instances more just plain bizarre every day.

Which begs the question, WTF is wrong with the big guy upstairs? How'd we piss Him/Her/It/Them/E off so badly THIS time?

The Blue Avenger
5th September 2008, 07:29 AM
Funny how nobody ever noticed the hurricane season before Katrina.

Believe me, when you live in North Carolina, you notice every hurricane season.

Jeff
5th September 2008, 01:22 PM
Every nasty hurricane season has at least one cat 5. 2005 had 3 in fact. I wouldn't be panicking about one hurricane almost making it to a cat 5.

Edit: looking at the map again, it looks like Hanna's path has pulled to the west, which means a South Carolina landfall and the eye will be passing right over where I live. A tidal surge in Maryland and Virginia also seems to be a possibility now. The last time that happened, our neighbors' downstairs was flooded and my brother had to wade to the end of the street. And that's if the storm stays on course. If it pulls more to the west a tidal surge would seem more likely. Either way we're screwed.

Knight of Time
5th September 2008, 01:45 PM
As far as I can remember, the worst hurricane to ever hit my home province was Hurricane Juan a few years ago, but right now, it's Hanna that has me really concerned, because it's heading toward the East Coast, and I'm just hoping it won't be a hurricane before it hits.

Katie
11th September 2008, 04:53 PM
Hurray now Ike is about to rape Texas. My school is closed tomorrow (despite nothing hitting land until Saturday???), the highways are ridiculous, and my mom wants me to "evacuate" back home to Dallas for the weekend. It's a 4 hour drive normally, I don't even want to guess what it would be with current traffic. I just want to catch up on homework dammit. And who will feed my fishy? :'(

Roy Karrde
11th September 2008, 06:05 PM
Well I can say with no doubt that "I do not like Ike"

Hope most of you get that XP

Anyway what scares me alot is that it is being reported that alot of idiots are not evacuating. The Storm Turned slightly last night and is going directly toward Galveston and Houston. Becuase of that, and becuase yesterday it some what wasn't. Alot of people who were talking to ABC News Radio today were saying that they didn't believe the reports becuase of the sudden change and they were staying.

Also Katie I hope you enjoy Dallas, I'll be over there tomorrow for school over by the Galleria.

Also I'll be taking pictures and giving a Hurricane report come Saturday afternoon when the storm hits the DFW area. We're expecting 50 MPH winds, and 4 to 8 inches of rain.

Drusilla
11th September 2008, 10:46 PM
KATERZ, CALL MEEEEE XD I'm lonely... *stalkstalk* We're within half an hour of each other right now. =o

Well, looks like my hometown is about to be completely RAPED by Ike. *sob* Most of my belongings are still there, too... *misses her books desperately* Hold on, Galvatraz!

EDIT: You know, even if it wasn't for the sudden change, which doesn't surprise me, that thing is so huge it's about to swallow the whole coast...

Roy Karrde
11th September 2008, 10:48 PM
I am glad that you got out Dru, when I heard it was heading your way I was thinking aboutcha.

Well since you are so close by now, I'll come by and drop off some McCain/Palin bumper stickers for you J/K ~.^

Crystal Mew
12th September 2008, 12:46 AM
ah katie!!! good luck, hope everything turns out ok.

same for you dru :) and....everyone else who is about to get hurricane raped. good luck guys

Katie
12th September 2008, 11:33 AM
I decided not to leave. I have too much to do, and I just made that trip last weekend so meh. xP In case shit starts to fly around my window has a ... I don't know what it's called but it looks like a little garage door, that I can pull down tonight before Ike comes to say hey. I seriously doubt my apt building will come crashing down. Power might go out... hmm maybe I should go get some candles.

Dru I hope your friends have left and that your stuff makes it though!

Roy Karrde
12th September 2008, 12:50 PM
Katie if you are anywhere near Galveston get out now!

"If you decide to stay in Galveston, you face Certain Death"

This is what has been said over and over again by the NWS and other organizations. This sucker is going to be bad, really really bad.

Katie
12th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Oh hell no, I'm in College Station. It should be a category 1 around 8am tomorrow last I checked. No certain death for me unless some tornadoes pop up right over me (3rd floor ftl).

Roy Karrde
12th September 2008, 12:57 PM
Oh phew, yeah I have Relatives up in College Station, I still would say it would be best to get out of there but meh.

Drusilla
12th September 2008, 02:14 PM
I think that the exact wording was that, if you stay in a one-family home to ride out the storm, you face certain death... I know at least two people that are still in Galveston, but they live in big apartment buildings.

My stuff is going to be trashed. It's on the west end of the island, near the San Luis Pass, and isn't behind the Seawall. I've essentially given up all hope for everything still in the garage. Maybe, just maybe, the rest of the house will make it...

"The landfall location will probably be very close to Galveston, Texas; on the southwest end of Galveston Island."

That's a bullseye right there...

Crystal Mew
12th September 2008, 02:35 PM
Jeez, it seems like every year you have to go through this Dru. I'd probably move away if I had to deal with hurricanes every single year

Drusilla
12th September 2008, 02:57 PM
Ehehehehe... Well, that's just another part of life in Galveston. When you live at three feet above sea level in a hurricane zone, not much you can do, ya know... The north gets blizzards, the midwest gets tornadoes, and the Gulf coast gets hurricanes. I love the Gulf, though, and miss it dearly when I'm away.

Magmar
12th September 2008, 03:12 PM
Good luck! I'll pretend to pray for you (but actually be sending you good wishes, lol)

Blademaster
12th September 2008, 03:18 PM
Man, living on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico sounds like Hell. Every other day, some giant fucking rainstorm comes knocking on your front door to ruin your shit. How the Hell could anybody LIKE that?

I'd say either move, or pester the government to put a giant dome over the city - having to tolerate this shit is insane.

Drusilla
12th September 2008, 09:17 PM
I'm watching the news right now, and I just want to cry. They showed footage of downtown Galveston from this afternoon, and was looking like three feet of water was sitting on the Strand. I can't help but think, "That's one of my favorite antique stores... I bought that old Catwoman comic there..."

It's incredibly personal. I mean, things like this always touch me in one way or another, but I look at the news and know the places they show, and know that I still have close friends there...

I don't know. It's a beautiful place to live, but you know what they say; every rose has it's thorns. I miss it terribly, and it's only made worse by the fact that I know it will be destroyed to some extent before the sun rises... It's brutal.

Asilynne
13th September 2008, 01:21 AM
I haven't been paying much attention to the hurricanes yet this year so I haven't seen what most of them are doing, but from what I've seen it looks like they're going up the East Coast, and when they do that, we usually get them in September.

You called it right on the nose XD its been cool and rainy/cloudy all week lol

RedStarWarrior
13th September 2008, 02:04 AM
Start a new topic about hurricanes in general if you want to continue this...