PDA

View Full Version : DragonballZ RPG

Heald
28th August 2008, 10:50 AM
Hey. I remember a bunch of us used to take part in these and they used to be fun. People like pokemasterfrank, Outlaw JT, U_C, Bulba4, and the rest (sorry if I omitted any, I know there are loads more out there who love it). I was just wondering if anyone out there was still up for a DBZ RPG? I'm a little tied-up with WoH at the moment (which will be starting soon, I swear!) but if someone wanted to collaborate or just do it by themselves, then go ahead. I just want to canvas the forum to see if there is any support for one?

Asilynne
28th August 2008, 01:34 PM
Ive been waiting for one for a couple of years, to tell the truth I miss Dragonball SA, the best dbz rpg Ive ever been in ;.; I liked battling your super androids and losing XD
I motion for frank to remake it :D

Heald
28th August 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, unfortunately frank hasn't been active since May, according to his profile anyway...

EDIT: That said, apparently he was lurking earlier this morning. Maybe next time he does, he'll see this topic.

I also don't think my androids would return, although I seem to remember that your character beat my android in the Budokai by ring-out, so it wasn't all doom and gloom, hehe.

I'd like to see the return of the mainstays of our DBZ rpgs though, such as Garen, Gav and Rudy. I seem to remember Garen being teh pwnage.

Blademaster
28th August 2008, 03:29 PM
Uhhhh...

My last three sigs (current sig included).

Need I say more?

EDIT: Nice new avatar, Heald. PlayItBogart rocks.

Houndoom_Lover
28th August 2008, 04:05 PM
*voted for Robot Nixon* I'd help out, I'm tired of being lazy and log like like I have for the last past...months was it *itches my belly*

Ultimate Charizard
28th August 2008, 05:47 PM
Dragonball VG is what got me into this community and made me stay.
Id be more than willing to dust off the Genetic freak for another stab at this.

I think it would work best (as VG did for almost 3 seasons) with the Bad Guys being NPC's so the story is from one sides perspective, with the RPG leader bringing them in for plot points or whatever.
When you have too many sides and sub plots rpg's can get a bit confused.

Asilynne
29th August 2008, 10:28 AM
Ill have to tell Rudy about this, he might want to help someone write one because hes been complaining about wanting to play Rudy again lol

Mystic_clown
7th September 2008, 06:37 PM
I've been hoping a DBZ RPG would come up again. I was hoping to make one myself, but I never got around to it.

Charizard's idea works well. I vote we should go with it.

Andrew
7th September 2008, 07:06 PM
Powering Up

BBL in about 5 weeks.

classy_cat18
7th September 2008, 07:37 PM
I wasn't up for it at first, but then I remembered how much I loved DBZ when it was on weekday Toonami. And everyone's psyched about it and now I'm psyched about it...

Maybe I'll play a guy character this time. Ooh, maybe Kite!

Mystic_clown
8th September 2008, 07:02 PM
I've already got a character planned, but I'm not so sure about his history though. :S

Bulbasaur4
8th September 2008, 11:54 PM
I'd totally bring back Gorin or my weird Tengu-wahtever her name was freak. OH OH or Yasu!! MY KITTY! OR IDAIA MY NAMEK!!
ZOMG, totally bringing back my kid namek boy.
xD

Mystic_clown
23rd December 2008, 04:06 PM
Alright, I've noticed that even with all the talk of a DBZ RPG, we're still to see one, and after watching Dragonball Z Abridged on youtube, my interest in this has been renewed. So consider this post a massive "Come over and look at this topic" sign.

Asilynne
23rd December 2008, 04:10 PM
I agree <3 I read though what I have of Dragonball VG (the new one) so Im all fired up to play a Vegeta-esque character XD

Mystic_clown
23rd December 2008, 04:16 PM
Do you happen to have a link to that? I've heard a lot of it, but never seen it.

Asilynne
23rd December 2008, 04:46 PM
Do you happen to have a link to that? I've heard a lot of it, but never seen it.

Yes, of the new one anyway. Keep in mind that this isnt the legendary Dragonball VG, I was never in that one and it was so long ago its long since been deleted :< Youll have to ask Kalah, Gav, JT and Rudy about that one ^-^()

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3981&highlight=dragonball

Mystic_clown
23rd December 2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks ^_^ Now for the rest of you *holds out cookies* anyone willing to give this a try?

Blademaster
23rd December 2008, 07:40 PM
I have a character ready to go that at least 2 of you have seen.

Heald said he'd help me with a plot, but the lazy bastard has YET to get back to me.

Heald
24th December 2008, 06:25 AM
When the hell did I ever say that?

However, I will help you with a plot. AIM me boy.

Asilynne
24th December 2008, 03:30 PM
When the hell did I ever say that?

However, I will help you with a plot. AIM me boy.

Can I get in on this sexy DBZ action? lol

Mystic_clown
24th December 2008, 03:41 PM
Me too, only I don't have AIM T.T

Ultimate Charizard
24th December 2008, 05:37 PM
Im soooo in for this. Been a while since ive been in an RPG that got the creative juices flowing :D

The_Missing_Link
24th December 2008, 09:31 PM
I've been an observer of these DBZ RPGs for years and I think it's time for me to get involved and participate

Master Rudy
25th December 2008, 07:04 AM
Heh....good number of posts....plenty of intrest.....wonder what the topic's power level is.....
*checks his scouter*
!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!!!
lol had to do it.....

In any case I'm always game and I'm here with suggestions:
1-No Super Saiyans to start
Biggest problem with any DBZ RPG to me is the fact that once Super Saiyans get into the mix it tends to kill the usefulness of humans. While SSJ is eventually a blast to play it's got to stay away for the time being.

2-No player villians
The last few attempts at this have had an RPer covering the role of a villian. This can be very bad if that person should happen to go inactive. Heald had it right. Flesh out the personallies enough so anyone can use the character in a post without getting it wrong. You guys need a prime example? Look up DotBM in the archive and read up to the point where Lantis becomes a major player in the plot.

3-No overpowered characters
Kinda goes hand in hand with no Super Saiyans but it must be stated anyway. Prime example was my own character actually. IIRC I had the Kamehameha, Final Flash, Final Kamehameha (due to knowing the other two), Masenko and Solar Flare to name a few. While some crossover would be ok since IMO a Kamehameha>Masenko (Gohan for the most part does stop using the latter in the Cell Saga)there needs to be a limit.

4-No GT
Explains itself.....

5-Minor involvement of the original Z Fighters (if any)
IMO while it's ok to bring in the old cast it needs to be done carefully. Too much involvement can get cheesy very fast as can creating a situation just for the sake of saying "Hey look it's _____!!!" Me and Gav talked off and on about a new RPG awhile back and I think we had one good idea in this area but I'm going to hold off on saying it. Of course if a new DBZ RPG pops up any time soon I may look into seeing if it can be worked in since I personally thought it was a good one ^_^

In any case there's my two cents for now. Hope to see something happen in this area because I'd like to bring Rudy Summers back while at the same time trying to make him be a little more original and less of a Trunks clone appearence wise with a different hair color (can't promise that'll happen but meh....never know :P )

Blademaster
25th December 2008, 08:17 AM
^The problem with that layout is that it only applies to those whose RPG idea(s) build off of the canon DBZ.

The idea I proposed to Heald a few weeks or months back, for instance, took place in an alternate, futuristic reality where the Saiyan homeworld (Obviously not called 'Vegeta' since this is a different timeline) was still intact, and also that Super Saiyans were commonplace due to... One moment...

(gets flame shield up)

...Due to the 'one-in-a-millennium' Super Saiyan myth referring not to normal Super Saiyans, but rather to Legendary Super Saiyans like Broly. It seems logical to assume that this could happen, considering all a Saiyan needs to transform is a sufficiently powerful emotional surge (Goku's rage at Frieza over killing his best friend, Vegeta's desperation over being on the verge of death via asteroid pwnage before he could one up his rival, Gohan's pent-up fury being unleashed at the sight of his friend's head getting squashed by Cell, etc.).

That, and if we DO opt for a futuristic timeline, who's to say that Super Saiyans will be as godly as they are now? if they can get stronger, surely other races both existing and character-created can grow more powerful, can they not? Super Namekian 2 or 3, anybody? Or perhaps the obvious-yet-untapped Super Human?

That's my opinion, anyway (an opinion influenced by my character being Saiyan, but an opinion regardless).

Master Rudy
25th December 2008, 06:19 PM
^The problem with that layout is that it only applies to those whose RPG idea(s) build off of the canon DBZ.

The idea I proposed to Heald a few weeks or months back, for instance, took place in an alternate, futuristic reality where the Saiyan homeworld (Obviously not called 'Vegeta' since this is a different timeline) was still intact, and also that Super Saiyans were commonplace due to... One moment...

(gets flame shield up)

...Due to the 'one-in-a-millennium' Super Saiyan myth referring not to normal Super Saiyans, but rather to Legendary Super Saiyans like Broly. It seems logical to assume that this could happen, considering all a Saiyan needs to transform is a sufficiently powerful emotional surge (Goku's rage at Frieza over killing his best friend, Vegeta's desperation over being on the verge of death via asteroid pwnage before he could one up his rival, Gohan's pent-up fury being unleashed at the sight of his friend's head getting squashed by Cell, etc.).

That, and if we DO opt for a futuristic timeline, who's to say that Super Saiyans will be as godly as they are now? if they can get stronger, surely other races both existing and character-created can grow more powerful, can they not? Super Namekian 2 or 3, anybody? Or perhaps the obvious-yet-untapped Super Human?

That's my opinion, anyway (an opinion influenced by my character being Saiyan, but an opinion regardless).

It's crazy enough of an idea to actually have the potential to work.

Broly aside since people will fight over him being cannon or not until the end of the world the way I see it is that when people think of DBZ they think of Toriyama's world. Since my other obsession of the moment is the Chrono series let's look at that for a moment (it also came to mind since AT did the art for it). The running theroy is that prior to Crono's inital jump in time that certain key moments had very different outcomes. One of the main ones is the Battle of Zenan Bridge. In game it's clearly seen that without Crono that the Guardia forces would have lost that battle since they were getting raped by the Mystics/Fiends. So who in the original timeline protected the bridge and led the forces? Some people myself included think Crono helping Frog/Glenn resuce Leene demoralized him to the point of hanging up his sword as seen in his early game line "I shall depart for good." Had Crono not jumped back in time to 600 AD he would have never met Frog and in turn he would have stuck with the Guardia Army and led them during the battle. Plus don't forget DBZ itself and the whole story involving Trunks and the Androids. If Trunks never jumped back in time he would have never been observed by Dr. Gero's little spy robot and in turn there would be no Android 19 and 20 not to mention vastly different versions of 17 and 18. Granted they still had the directive to kill Goku but I see the Buu Timeline versions of them more as troublemakers and thrillseekers since they never killed anyone and saw finding Goku as a game as opposed to the Trunks Timeline versions that instantly went on a killing rampage. In addition that rampage is the same one Gero and 19 went on in the new timeline not to mention Gero had to reactive them which leads me to believe Trunks showing up forced him to alter his plans and abandon that part of the project. In short their brainwashing was never fully finished.

Time travel is a fun little bitch....

That being said and using a theroy of different timelines what's to say that there was not a version of the DBZ timeline where Bardock was successful in warning King Vegeta and the elites of Frieza's true intent? As strong as Frieza was it's entirely possible that even he could not have fought off an entire army of Saiyans working together. This in turn could have led the Saiyans down a different path. Seeing that they were being used with Frieza's defeat they would have been free to do what they wanted. Sure some may have still gone down the path of being space pirates and destroying worlds but others could have simply become explorers. Plus as a warrior race with a good deal of them looking for a good fight many more may have become mercs and bounty hunters.

In addition if you toss Super Nameks and Super Humans into the mix that could lead to each race having their own powers in that form. Maybe something along the lines of Nameks having an advanced ability to heal, withstand pain and regen during battle or humans having super speed and greater manipulation of ki (it was Krillin and Tien that came up with some of the cooler attacks and skills after all).

I think with a little time and everyone working together that this'll come along very nicely ^_~

Blademaster
26th December 2008, 03:37 AM
I got mindfucked during your little time travel thing there, Rudy, but thanks for being so open-minded - you wouldn't believe how batshit-looney DBZ fans went when I proposed ideas like what I had to them.

Heald
26th December 2008, 06:27 AM
I've been toying with a story that might be similar to a previous RPG we had, I can't remember, but basically it is set in the future where the children of the original Z-Fighter Saiyans have become so human that it is impossible for them to go Super-Saiyan anymore, but they still have superior natural ability to humans, but for example they stopped being born with tails, and lets just say for the sake of argument that if a descendant of a Saiyan is born without a tail, they can't go Super (Gohan was born with a tail, so we can assume half-Saiyans are born with tails and can go Super). Eventually, with the world's population growing so large they decide to use the Dragonballs to make a new planet for those who have Saiyan-blood (this will range in the thousands now) and ask the Dragon to make the children of all the people that move to this planet to be full-blooded Saiyans.

Eventually humans and Nameks start moving to New Vegeta (the new planet) and as human technology improves, they begin making an empire by colonising their solar system then other planets, and the Saiyans and Nameks are their allies. To keep good relations between the races good and to maintain their fighting prowess, an annual galactic Budokai is held every year on Earth, with any aliens that come by Earth also welcome to join.

However, eventually this growing empire attracts the attention of a group of fighter-aliens who want to take over the galaxy. Yadda yadda yadda, insert training, fighting, over 9000 etc and you have an RPG.

As for humans not being powerful, look at Tien: he was nearly as powerful as Imperfect Cell in the Cell Saga and assuming he trained for the Cell Games, he was nearly as powerful as a Cell Jr, which not even USSJ Vegeta or USSJ Trunks could defeat. It could be possible to have a guru on New Namek able to 'awaken' humans when they are powerful enough, not unlike in the Frieza Saga. Plus, since we agreed not to have SSJs, this shouldn't be necessary.

If need be, the GM or GMs (if we decide to have more than one) can implement 'power levels' onto people just to keep them in line and perhaps post saying when their power levels go up after fights or good posts or such. For example, inactive players won't have their PLs raised, and therefore they can't just go away for a month, come back and go 'My fighter was training make me over 9000 lol'.

Also, wb Rudy :wave:

Mystic_clown
26th December 2008, 06:44 AM
Hmm, I like Rudy's idea for an alternate timeline. That means we can do all sorts of stuff, and not have to worry about tredding on canon. Like, what if the Red Ribbon wasn't defeated and became their own nation? Without the destruction of Namek, what became of the Namekians? Etc.

Blademaster
26th December 2008, 07:51 AM
Hmm, I like Rudy's idea for an alternate timeline.

The idea I proposed to Heald a few weeks or months back, for instance, took place in an alternate, futuristic reality

:mad:

Ultimate Charizard
26th December 2008, 10:24 AM
Well remember that Time travel has been handled in the Show.

Trunks realised that although he could go back he couldnt change what had already happened. When he went back to his own time everyone was still dead but he now had the power to stop the androids and at least improve things from there.

Its the multiple reality theory. Every option of every choice is played out in alternate realities, so although you may be able to go back and influence another choice when you return to your time your still in the reality that made the original choice etc. You can go back to the start of the journey, but you still have to follow the same path.

Mystic_clown
26th December 2008, 03:49 PM
Whoops. Sorry Blade. Forgot about that. I meant I liked Rudy's idea for the alternate timeline.

Asilynne
26th December 2008, 05:48 PM
Ok heres my idea that I had, not fully fleshed just something to develop upon lol

NoNamedPriest (6:37:40 PM): Anyway I had a cool idea of how the DBZ RPG could work, first off it would take place in the semi-distant future of DBZ (totally ignoring GT) where on earth there would be a good group of people that are related to those saiyans who had been living on earth
NoNamedPriest (6:39:08 PM): Also there might be a couple nameks related to piccolo and dende, and of course some humans but I had an idea of what if those saiyans that had been sent away from planet vegeta had spent however many hundreds of years seeking out others of their kind that were spread across the galaxy, and formed a new Saiyan Alliance
NoNamedPriest (6:40:46 PM): And this Alliance of Saiyans were led by this one saiyan that happened to come across earth and all the people with saiyan blood, and since some of those people would have the blood of the prince of the saiyans he would feel threatened by the earth saiyans and want to eradicate them so that he can keep his power, kinda like hes a bit mentally unstable
NoNamedPriest (6:43:13 PM): Because he would be worried that if the earth saiyans were publically known among the other "outcast saiyans" that people would want to embrace someone related to the original prince instead of the guy that was appointed the leader, kinda like the Steward of Gondor in Lord of the rings lol But I havent worked everything out in this idea yet, Just wanted to run it by you to see if its workable or f you had anything to add or alter

Ultimate Charizard
26th December 2008, 06:39 PM
Thats not actually a bad idea......hmmmm

Master Rudy
29th December 2008, 06:05 PM
I got mindfucked during your little time travel thing there, Rudy, but thanks for being so open-minded - you wouldn't believe how batshit-looney DBZ fans went when I proposed ideas like what I had to them.

No problem. What some people fail to remember is you can be a hardcore fan WITHOUT being batshit crazy :P
In any case are we any closer to perhaps getting things rolling on this idea?

Mystic_clown
29th December 2008, 10:35 PM
I hope so. I like the idea of there not being one major plot, but many different plots as the RPG goes on, a lot like the DBZ sagas

Mystic_clown
1st January 2009, 04:57 PM
Sorry for the Double Post, but I too have come up with a small idea for a possible saga in this (I say saga because when it comes to DBZ, how can you only have one storyline?)

This adds on to Rudy's version of an alternate timeline (because I can actually see this happening). If the saiyans weren't destroyed, you can imagine those who turned to mercenary work of piracy are still going about causing havoc and chaos throughout the universe. With this sort of thing going on, you can imagine someone getting pissed and declaring revenge on the whole Saiyan race.

The first saga could be these genocidal maniacs coming to earth to take out any Saiyans currently on the planet, and anything else that gets in their way.

On a different note, will Androids be available as characters? Just asking.

Ultimate Charizard
1st January 2009, 05:20 PM
Id say it depends when its set.

The androids were a specific creation of 1 man who was hailed a genius ahead of his time. If the fic is set in a future setting then sure, technology may have progressed that far without Gero.

Otherwise id leave it at maybe some cyber-manipulation but not full Android. Of course i cant really be too critical of Charachter origins if anyone remembers my old VG char (and yes i do plan to bring him back :))

I like the idea of those seeking vengeance on Saiyans sensing Saiyan DNA on earth etc. It could actually be used to open up later Saga's. In that perhaps for whatever reason Earth is declared exempt from Saiyan Dominance by order of Vegeta since its his new home (im using future setting rather than altiverse though could still rewrite to include the Saiyan uprising) and as such Earth has forgotten about the Saiyans. These invaders explain a few things, get the decendants curious and they set out to find the Saiyans, good and bad etc.

Heald
1st January 2009, 06:40 PM
Basically, we need to decide on certain things:

1) Whether it is set in the future, is an alternate present or is set in the present or at least with some of the actual characters still alive. I believe the consensus at the moment is for either future or alternate present.

2) What the role the Saiyans will play. Will they be the antagonists, allies or just a playable race but the Saiyan nation itself does not appear. I think we've agreed that there are no Super Saiyans in the first rendition of these RPGs.

3) Power-levels. Should we nominate some GMs (2 or 3 will do) in order to decide when power levels go up i.e. active players and good posts will be rewarded.

4) Androids have come up. Are they playable, or will they be antagonists or non-existent? This is sort of connected to the timeline issue.

If people could reply on these four issues, that'd be fantastic, then we can create some sort of workaround. If opinions are too divided, I'll make a poll.

Anyway, my views:

1) I say future, and future enough so all of the original Z-Fighters have died.

2) Playable race, maybe restrict the number of Saiyan characters, but unsure if any NPC characters are Saiyans, but happy to go with the flow if we make an evil Saiyan and his crew the villains.

3) I say nominate 3 active people to hand out updates to power-levels, for example if everyone starts at 1000, then after a fight or a good post, one of the GMs go 'You earn +500' or something.

4) Not opposed to androids, but maybe only one or two as playable characters and none for the antagonists if we choose other people to be antagonists.

Blademaster
1st January 2009, 07:20 PM
I'm still gunning for my original idea.

1. My vote is for alternate future. An alternate future where a Saiyan homeworld still exists and it maintains some focus rather than Earth always being the centerpoint.

Or maybe an entirely new planet, or something bigger than a planet. Maybe an entire Solar System caught in the midst of a war, with different planets and their races joining the fight.

2. Saiyans should be a playable race and an abundant one at that. And yes, Super Saiyans would be allowed, as would Super Saiyan 2's, and limited SS3's.

3. GM's deciding YOUR character's power? Just being a frequent poster makes your character Super Gogeta? I don't think so. Pick your own power level (one each for normal, super, super 2, etc.) and let the RPG maker decide if it's fitting or not. Remember, higher power levels don't make fighters stronger than their opponents. Don't believe me? Frieza was stronger than Goku, and Goku still beat him.

4. Androids should be allowed right alongside Saiyans, Humans, Namekians, and whatever other primary races are out there. And yes, Super Androids would be possible.

I don't want a total free-for-all of Super (blank) 3's running around, but the set-up we have now is too stifling for me to get behind.

Heald
1st January 2009, 07:38 PM
3. GM's deciding YOUR character's power? Just being a frequent poster makes your character Super Gogeta? I don't think so. Pick your own power level (one each for normal, super, super 2, etc.) and let the RPG maker decide if it's fitting or not. Remember, higher power levels don't make fighters stronger than their opponents. Don't believe me? Frieza was stronger than Goku, and Goku still beat him.
Way to take an idea out of context. I wasn't saying frequent posting means a better character, but being inactive for two months then turning up and saying that your character is better than everyone else kind of misses the point. And no, posting every day won't make you better than everyone else: someone who posts 20 times a month won't automatically have a better fighter than someone who posts 10 times a month, you've actually had to have been in fights or do training or whatever to justify it. I'm willing to go for an idea that people choose how strong they're getting and the GM can intervene if they think one person is running away with it. We've done this before in an RPG way before you joined the board and it worked out fine.

I'm not sure where you got this idea that Frieza was stronger than Goku; I was under the impression that SSJ Goku was stronger than 100% Frieza. At worst, Goku merely struggled when Frieza went all out, but he definitely wasn't losing.

Ultimate Charizard
1st January 2009, 07:47 PM
I honestly dont think we need to overcomplicate by having specific power levels. We never bothered with them way back when. We all simply assumed we were roughly the same level and went from there. Most of the old RPG was involving training anyway. By the time any of the big bads came a round we had progressed to a stage where everyone was confident about each other writing even fights and knowing not to power play.

We didnt have everyone going SSJ at the same time either. It was done under circumstance, not just 'oh your above the correct level now, you have earned SSJ'. If anything thats the Vegeta mindset and look what happened to that. It wasnt his power level, it was his desperation and obsession to beat Goku.

Of course we just have to be sensible. Dont want to see anyone going SSJ cos theyre upset that the store is out of cheezy poofs.

Blade, its not a case of stifling. Its a case of making the story interesting without the quick flash in the pan "WAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH I CAN NUKE WHOLE FOREVERS!". Dragonball was more about the story than the action. The action was awesome but thats why they spent 3 episodes charging up for a fight, to build the tension of the story.

So officially id say....

1) Future but with some changes to history. None of the Z-Fighters are alive but all the Canon of Z still played out. Vegeta lived on earth, had kids with Bulma etc. However, Planet Vegeta was not destroyed and Saiyans still inhabit the universe. Vegeta however decreed that Earth is off-limits to any hostile Saiyan force.

2) Saiyan Descendants as well as some Purebloods that know more than theyre letting on. Just cos Vegeta said no Saiyans can attack earth doesnt mean some cant live there. Not to mention its a planet that Produced the majority of the Super Saiyans, (Well, Gohan, Trunks and Goten) so some may see it as a pilgrimage or even a training ground in the hopes that they can reach SSJ too. SSJ will come into it but not untill much later and for a Valid reason. Not just "well he can do it!"

3) Ignored. Specific power levels over complicate things and to me seems more of a bragging right. If were all good enough writers (and the people posting in this thread are) then we should be able to organise and self-limit ourselves to avoid power-playing. The only 'levels' that would outclass fighters are the SSJ's etc. Remember not everyone in the Show were even usefull fighters by the end of it. Krillin and Yamcha were outclassed most of the time. However its that will to fight despite their disadvantage that made the charachter. They had to fight to defend what they loved without knowing they can up their game to a whole new level as soon as it gets Dicey.

4) If its future, sure. Though remember that the Androids were stronger than SSJ. 18 kicked Vegeta's ass and snapped his arm with a single kick. There would have to be limits to stop them dominating the early RPG.

Heald
1st January 2009, 07:56 PM
Acceptable circumstances for going Super Saiyan include:

Friend being raped by Frieza
Getting raped by a Super Saiyan
Winning the gold for swimming at the Olympics
Having your planet raped

Ultimate Charizard
1st January 2009, 08:00 PM
Acceptable circumstances for going Super Saiyan include:

Friend being raped by Frieza
Getting raped by a Super Saiyan
Winning the gold for swimming at the Olympics
Having your planet raped

Nice ;)

Blademaster
1st January 2009, 09:23 PM
Look, I'm obviously biased towards my own ideas, but what bugs me about your ideas is that you guys seem to hold Super Saiyans to be some sort of godly race that HAS to be limited or banned outright, when in truth, the uuber powerhouse Saiyans like Goku, Vegeta, Broly, and their kin were, for lack of a better term, freaks of nature - the Saiyan equivalents of steroid-popping powerhouses that spend their entire lives in the gym. These guys fought in every environment imaginable, trained in ungodly conditions, had to DIE and/or hack the timespace continuum to become obscenely strong in short amounts of time...

Your AVERAGE Saiyan gone Super, on the other hand, would probably be a weakling by comparison. Maybe about as tough as Great Ape Vegeta, or Kaio-Ken Goku. So why is limiting them such a mandate?

Ultimate Charizard
1st January 2009, 09:32 PM
Because its the fact they went through so much to get there that made them Super Saiyans in the first place. The Average Saiyan doesnt go Super. He stays average Saiyan.

I dont wanna sound insulting but all im hearing is 'i wanna make my hair go yellow and go AAAAAHHHHH! alot' because the way you describe it thats about the only effect SSJ will have.
Your taking the ultimate legendary goal of the Saiyan Race and making it easily attainable and fairly meaningless. Its like commercialising Christmas. Theres no meaning to it any more, its just there.

Blademaster
1st January 2009, 09:36 PM
I dont wanna sound insulting but all im hearing is 'i wanna make my hair go yellow and go AAAAAHHHHH! alot' because the way you describe it thats about the only effect SSJ will have.

Or maybe it's because, you know, I've had an OC for the genre for awhile now, and he was carefully made so that going Super Saiyan - and beyond - is NECESSARY for him to survive. He's THAT weak.

Also, I don't mean to sound insulting, but...

Your taking the ultimate legendary goal of the Saiyan Race and making it easily attainable and fairly meaningless.

Three words:

Broly.

Goten.

Trunks.

Ultimate Charizard
1st January 2009, 10:18 PM
Broly is a special case, its not even agreed as to wether or not hes even canon. As for Goten and Trunks thats explained by being sons of Super Saiyans. Gohan for example had to have his own 'breakthrough' because he was born before Goku went SSJ.

Nothings decided but i think its a little dissapointing to make SSJ so easy and meaningless just so you can play a certain charachter that couldnt fight his way out of a wet paper bag without it.

Asilynne
1st January 2009, 10:21 PM
Power is relative, if we had ssjs as coomon whos to say the bad guy isnt something even more than that?

Blademaster
1st January 2009, 10:32 PM
^Exactly.

As for Goten and Trunks thats explained by being sons of Super Saiyans.

And herein lies the key: If a child can go Super Saiyan simply by being the son/daughter of a Super Saiyan, the "ultimate legendary goal of the Saiyan race" would become nothing more than selective breeding overnight. It's Darwinism in its most basic form - you just need one Super Saiyan, and bam. Population explosion of Super Saiyans.

Mystic_clown
1st January 2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, my suggestions.

1. I'd prefer an alternate future with the Saiyan homeworld still existing. This is mainly so we're not restricted to the canon. Blade's idea of the RPG spanning across a galaxy is an interesting one. Seriously, what is it with villains and Earth? It's not that great of a planet.

2. I think we all agree that Saiyans can be a playable race. I'm going to have to agree though that Super Saiyans should at least be restricted to start with. In the show (or at least before the Frieza saga, the idea of a Super Saiyan was legendary. Now, when a character transformed into a Super Saiyan for the first time, it was almost epic (and please don't bring up Goten or Trunks, you KNOW). just feel that that first transformation should at least wait until an appropriate time, not just letting them to from the very beginning.

3. Charizard makes a good point. We're all skilled writers and we all know better than to power play and keep things interesting.

4. Ok, I'm a little biased towards this one because I want to play an Android *chuckles* I feel that Androids should be playable, though depending on what time period we're doing (chances are it will be futuristic) we'll need to find a way to include them without seeming like they're just there.

Heald
2nd January 2009, 04:55 AM
Apparently, before Goku, there was only a Super Saiyan once every a thousand years, and most Saiyans probably just went Oozaru in order to elevate their power-level. Since most Saiyans believed that going Super Saiyan was such a rare occurance, I imagine most didn't bother to try and attain it. Clearly, you have to be a certain power level to attain it, no matter what (in excess of a million according to the Frieza saga) since I'd imagine both Goku and Vegeta were way pissed in order to trigger the transformation many times before this point but their power levels were not enough. So, in order to be a Super Saiyan, you literally have to be one of the most powerful warriors in the universe. When Goku defeated Frieza, he became the most powerful warrior in the universe. His next two enemies, one came from a different time and the other was a demon locked in some giant testicle who needed Gohan's power to be unlocked. Otherwise, no other warrior from Goku's time could match him once he went Super Saiyan.

If you want a scale on how powerful Super Saiyans really are, SSJ3 Gotenks was so powerful he could rip a hole in space-time when he was in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. That's just incredible. Hell, the Supreme Kai is meant to be one of the most powerful beings but even the Super Saiyans eclipsed him. It isn't meant to be an everyday normal thing: Super Saiyans are way, way powerful, and allowing everyone and their dog to go Super Saiyan from the start sort of denigrates from their overall epicness.

Mystic_clown
3rd January 2009, 04:13 PM
Indeed, Super Saiyan are extremely powerful, almost insanely so. Usually when one turns into a Super Saiyan, it's usually something epic. For goku, it was when Frieza killed Krillan, and it wasn't an instant transformation as well. For Vegeta, after days of non-stop training and almost pretty much killing himself, he simply stopped caring anymore. Something snapped inside him. For future Trunks, it was after seeing Gohan, his only surviving friend, die infront of him. The only exceptions to this were regular Trunks and Goten, and their transformations were a complete surprise to everyone (Hell, Chichi cried when he did).

In response to the idea that descendants of super saiyans can go also go super saiyan, I'd like to point to a main character of GT, Pan. Now, by your logic, since Pan's the daughter of a super saiyan, she should be able to as well. Well, throughout the entire series of GT, she never once went super saiyan. Heck, she didn't seem to be anywhere near as good a fighter as Goten and Trunks were at her age. This can be attributed to the fact that the saiyan blood in her is starting to thin, due to the fact since her father was a half-breed and her mother was human, she's pretty much a quarter breed. If this is going to be set in the future (which everyone seems to agree on), than all of Goku and Vegeta's descendants could have lost the ability to go super saiyan, and it's gone back to legend again.

I'm not saying we should ban super saiyans outright. I'm just saying that at the beginning, that power should be out of reach, but you should be able to as the RPG progresses. Don't feel that your character would be piss weak without it. Even without the ability to go super, Goku and Vegeta were still pretty powerful. Goku managed to hold his own against Frieza long before he went super saiyan.

Blademaster
3rd January 2009, 05:06 PM
In response to the idea that descendants of super saiyans can go also go super saiyan, I'd like to point to a main character of GT, Pan. Now, by your logic, since Pan's the daughter of a super saiyan, she should be able to as well. Well, throughout the entire series of GT, she never once went super saiyan. Heck, she didn't seem to be anywhere near as good a fighter as Goten and Trunks were at her age. This can be attributed to the fact that the saiyan blood in her is starting to thin, due to the fact since her father was a half-breed and her mother was human, she's pretty much a quarter breed.

This is a good point, one which I expected would be brought to light in response to my 'breeding' idea. The thing is, though, that even half-bloods can go Super Saiyan, and so if the original Super was 'fruiful,' there'd be a lineage no matter what. Think this way:

Super + Normal A = Half-blood 1
Super + Normal B = Half-blood 2

Half-blood 1 + Half-blood 2 = Half-blood 3

It'd be the Saiyan equivalent of Adam and Eve: Provided that there's always at least 1 Super Saiyan or 2 Half-bloods, the lineage can and will continue exponentially.

Now granted, based on Goku's and Vegeta's actions in the anime, the Saiyans probably are primarily a monogamous race. But if a Super Saiyan were to enter the picture, then in the interests of their race, the Saiyans would probably 'stud' him/her. They don't seem to be THAT moral considering their willingness to kick the shit out of each other/other races and blow each other/other races up in the hopes of garnering power. So it's really unlikely to assume that the Saiyan race as a whole would just pass up a Super Saiyan without trying to get something more out of the deal.

Heald
3rd January 2009, 05:29 PM
Now granted, based on Goku's and Vegeta's actions in the anime, the Saiyans probably are primarily a monogamous race. But if a Super Saiyan were to enter the picture, then in the interests of their race, the Saiyans would probably 'stud' him/her. They don't seem to be THAT moral considering their willingness to kick the shit out of each other/other races and blow each other/other races up in the hopes of garnering power. So it's really unlikely to assume that the Saiyan race as a whole would just pass up a Super Saiyan without trying to get something more out of the deal.
True, but you're forgetting Goku was the first Super Saiyan for a thousand years, so either this Super Saiyan either never had any children or the Saiyans had never heard of the theory of evolution and thus didn't take advantage of it.

Besides, look at the Saiyans; they're hardly a race that favours society over self-preservation: all Saiyans shown in the series (apart from Goku and his lot) hated the ones more powerful than themselves and all strived to try and beat each other. If a Super Saiyan came along, they wouldn't all suddenly put their differences aside and suddenly try to all be friends, they'd still all try and beat each other up as they normally do. You're assuming that the Saiyans put their race before themselves, but in reality that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ultimate Charizard
3rd January 2009, 06:28 PM
Dont even think of mentioning GT or trying to use it to validate anything other than what happens when someone else tries to squeeze all the juice out of an orange.

Mystic_clown
4th January 2009, 12:23 AM
Me and Blademaster have spoken on MSN and have come up with a solution to suit his needs. He is now no longer opposed to the Super Saiyan restriction. So let's no get back to working on this damn thing.

Blademaster
4th January 2009, 03:03 PM
^RESTRICTION. Not total banning. Just so that's clear.

Mystic_clown
4th January 2009, 03:09 PM
Ok, I think we're all leaning towards the alternate future with planet Vegeta still existing, so I don't think setting is a problem now.

I got some support for the whole "guys wanting revenge against saiyans" plot for the start. Anyone agree?

Heald
4th January 2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah that seems to be fine.

I was also not in favour of banning Super Saiyan outright, just not in favour of having them playable at the start, nor letting people go Super Saiyan for not good enough reasons.

So lets get it straight:

Setting: Alternate reality with Vegeta still existing
Time: Present or Future i.e. would this be in the time of the Z-fighters but we replace the Z-fighters or are the Z-fighters all dead and we play their descendants or new characters altogether?
Power Restrictions: Not sure what you two agreed on, but whatever. Just wondering how powerful do you think we should be i.e. Saiyan saga level, Frieza saga level etc. Bear in mind Goku was the most powerful fighter in the Saiyan saga with a power level of around 10 000, whereas Oozaru Vegeta had a powerful of around 100 000. Frieza in his second form had a power level of 1 000 000, so we can assume that both Frieza and Goku had power levels in excess of 10 000 000 in their final forms. I reckon if everyone starts at 5000, then at least there's room for improvement, especially if this is successful enough to have a sequel.
Enemy: I think we've agreed on a Saiyan warlord trying to wipe out the Earth Saiyans or something similar. Is that what you're suggesting M_c?

I've already fleshed out a prospective character and I don't think it matters what setting it is in order for him to be playable. So woo.

Andrew
4th January 2009, 08:47 PM
I'll be reading for the super homo-erotic desciptions that will eventually arise.

DBZ is so gay.

"Hay, let's go fly off together and do man stuff! Leave your mother behind!"

"Let's wear earrings!"

"I gots to power up by grunting a lot!"

haha.

Asilynne
4th January 2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry to disappoint you Andrew but there would be some girl saiyans too like my char :(

Also as far as actual numbers for power lvls, It DID work really well for Franks DB SA, but I myself am horrible with numbers so if we did have them in this rpg could they be not super important for the story? I really hate math lol

Andrew
4th January 2009, 09:55 PM
Can we get some better looking androids maybe? AT least they're far less gay.

Heald
5th January 2009, 04:32 AM
I only want the power levels to be a guideline, not a way of deciding who wins certain fights, but it is hard to say which antagonists are more powerful than the fighters, so it is good to have a scale I suppose. That way, someone doesn't accidentally kill a character who is way too powerful for them, or something.

Asilynne
5th January 2009, 10:38 AM
Ok its looking like we have a good start on a DBZ RPG now that some things have been smoothed out, you guys want to get together for a brainstorming plot session sometime today on aim or msn?

Ultimate Charizard
5th January 2009, 10:39 AM
Im up for that, i dont have many of you on Aim but i have Asi and im on right now and probably for the rest of the day/night :)

SN is UCFananga

Asilynne
5th January 2009, 10:53 AM
Ill be on later, my aim is NoNamedPriest :> and I know MC doesnt have AIM so my MSN is outlawgirlasi@msn.com

Ultimate Charizard
5th January 2009, 10:54 AM
U never use MSN though, unless u have me blocked *cries*

Asilynne
5th January 2009, 11:05 AM
I only use it when someone wants me to talk to them that doesnt have aim lol

Phantom Echo
5th January 2009, 02:20 PM
can i be in this?

Heald
5th January 2009, 02:45 PM
Sure. The topic should be up soon.

Blademaster
5th January 2009, 03:59 PM
Setting: Alternate reality with Vegeta still existing

I'm in favor.

Time: Present or Future i.e. would this be in the time of the Z-fighters but we replace the Z-fighters or are the Z-fighters all dead and we play their descendants or new characters altogether?

I vote new Z-Fighters in the future. Why the future? I'll explain below.

I reckon if everyone starts at 5000, then at least there's room for improvement, especially if this is successful enough to have a sequel.

I vote that we have 5,000 be the AVERAGE. Saiyans have varying levels of strength, just like humans. Some might be tougher than normal, others might be weaker. Doesn't make sense for all our different characters to be equal.

Enemy: I think we've agreed on a Saiyan warlord trying to wipe out the Earth Saiyans or something similar.

Here's why I suggested the future: So enemies would have knowledge of the Dragon Balls. And with knowledge comes corruption... I have an idea for a plot, but I gotta do some research on it first. If anyone's interested, and I'm right, I'll suggest it later - maybe it could be a sequel.

Phantom Echo
5th January 2009, 05:56 PM
i agree with EVERYTHING blade said.... just saying

Ultimate Charizard
5th January 2009, 05:58 PM
i agree with EVERYTHING blade said.... just saying

How much you paying him Blade? Got yourself another lackey now huh? ;)

Phantom Echo
5th January 2009, 06:00 PM
no not really....i read it and i liked it so i said i agreed......plainand simple as that

Blademaster
5th January 2009, 08:13 PM
How much you paying him Blade? Got yourself another lackey now huh? ;)

Uh...

Shut up. :mad:

Anyway, I got a PM from someone asking about my idea, and I managed to get my 'research' done, so I'll present it:

DragonballZ.

When you see that name, whattaya think of? Golden hair? Giant energy blasts that can destroy planets? Power levels numerically exceeding 30^2?

Probably. But what about, I dunno... The DRAGON BALLS?

I been doing some research on these puppies, and I get the basic gist of 'em: Magic orange ball that brings good fortune, was split into 7 so thieves couldn't use it for bad stuff, gathering the seven makes a big-ass dragon appear and he'll grant you a wish within reason, then he vanishes.

Oh yeah, and the balls were made by little green men. Really, really badass little green men...

OK, we know that much. But what we don't know is... what exactly ARE the Dragon Balls? They summon the Eternal Dragon Shenron, or the Namekian Dragon Porunga, or the Shadow Dragon Omega Shenron, or the... uh... Red Dragon... Red Shenron... Yeah, yada yada yada. Whatever. But what ARE they? Do they each contain pieces of the Dragon, and need to be assembled like a puzzle? Are they keys to a dimensional gate that the Dragon inhabits in-between genie duty? Probably...

But let's take some liberties here, and assume that while the Dragon BALLS are products of the Namekians Kami and Guru, the Dragons themselves are not.

Let's instead say that these Dragons are divine creatures surpassing even Majin Buu in power (Uub's patheticness compared to Omega Shenron kinda backs this up, despite the whole "DEATH TO GT!!!11!" vibe everyone has going.), and that they can grant ANY wish imaginable.

Revive an entire planet? Done.

Kill 100 billion people? Done.

Become a fucking GOD? Done.

And let's also say that these Dragon Balls, rather than summoning the Dragon or creating it, do the exact opposite: They exist to LIMIT its near-unimaginable power, so that loonies like Frieza can't say "Hey, Dragon, make me immortal and make everyone in the Universe obey me. Also, make the Kais weaker than me, make my testicles descend, gi- what? I don't have testicles? Then give me some - four'll be good. And give me the power to transform into that spiky thing my brother turns into, and give me a lifetime supply of cake.".

And let's then say that a new enemy - we'll call him Joe for now - enters the picture. Let's say that Joe descends from a race as ancient and sage as the Namekians, if not moreso. And so, they - and he - know how the Dragon Balls work.

And let's THEN say that Joe delves into forbidden territory, stuff his people consider taboo but of course have anyway, and finds out not only how the Dragon Balls keep the Dragon surpressed, but also a way to 'unlock' the Balls - to separate them from the Dragon itself, unlocking its boundless power...

THIS is my idea. 'Joe' has the knowledge to separate the beast from its shackles, and so he is on a mission: Send his thugs out to collect the Dragon Balls, then bring them to him so he can call the Dragon, use his super high-tech machine to sever the bond between them and the Dragon, and then have the Dragon make him the most supreme being in existence.

Not a very original idea, but it's something.

Also, it doesn't leave the loose end MC's idea had: If this is an AU RPG, and Planet Vegeta hadn't been destroyed, then why would Saiyans be on Earth to begin with?

OK, NOW I'm done.

Ultimate Charizard
5th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Well didnt Vegeta find out about Frieza blowing up his planet Suring/After the Saiyan saga or is that just what he did to keep them all in line?

Either way id say Frieza still managed to enslave the Saiyans (maybe just killed the king) without blowing up their planet and the rest of Z panned out as it did. It was under Frieza's orders that Vegeta and Nappa attacked earth remember.

I like the rest of the idea. Makes a change from 'collect the Dragonballs' since that would be exactly what the badguy wants. Im assuming it wouldnt have to be him that summoned the Dragon after all.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th January 2009, 08:42 PM
That sounds good Blademaster I would be interested to sign up for this when all the details are completed.

And UC he didn't find out because none of the people close to Vegeta didn't know about it and he was told that a meteor just crashed into it.

Asilynne
5th January 2009, 09:57 PM
I like Blades idea Ive never seen a DBZ rpg quite like that yet :>

Master Rudy
6th January 2009, 01:49 AM
Granted it takes a few liberties with things regarding the dragon but Blade's idea is easily the most original I've seen for a Dragon Ball RPG in a long time. Let's face it......a race to find the Dragon Balls is far from new. So is a new big bad that only wishes to destroy the Earth. At least with this idea it gives something fresh. In fact this could be a great intro to the characters. Some of them may be trying to keep the DB's hidden while others may think it's best to race the enemy to them like old school DB. Others still could be looking for personal gain. This whole situation could be what eventually makes everyone work together and molds them into the new Z Fighters.

As far as everything else goes here's how I see it:
Setting-Alt timeline, Planet Vegeta still exists. Granted some may complain that the Saiyans did not reach Earth but who's to say that they would have never made contact in another timeline?

Present or Future?-Could work either way in a different timeline.

Enemy-I like Blade's idea. Some enemy with lost knowledge of the Dragon Balls that would pretty much unlock all of Shenron's potential while at the same time making him the dragon's master.

I guess the only overly big question now is who's going to be in charge of this RPG and get the ball rolling?

Heald
6th January 2009, 04:34 AM
I vote whoever started this topic in the first place.

OH HALLO

Also, regarding continuity errors if Planet Vegeta wasn't destroyed: Goku was sent to Earth years before Vegeta was destroyed, so even if Vegeta wasn't destroyed, Goku would be on Earth. Radditz would probably still go to Earth anyway just to check how Goku was doing. Radditz, annoyed by Goku being good and a pussy, tries to kill him but Goku and Piccolo kill him but Goku dies as well. Vegeta and Nappa come to Earth to find the Dragonballs that Piccolo spoke of to Radditz and then the timeline is restored, more or less.

One thing that is more or less certain though; if the whole Namek saga didn't happen, they'd all be screwed because then no one would have turned Super Saiyan, and all the villains in the sagas after the Namek saga (i.e. the androids, Cell, Buu) are more powerful than Super Saiyans, so we do have to assume the Namek saga happened, and therefore there is a new planet Namek somewhere.

Otherwise, I'm fine with Blade's idea too. If you want, I can talk with you Blade sometime today about it then we can get the sign-ups up sometime in the next few days. Is everyone agreed then?

Master Rudy
6th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Also, regarding continuity errors if Planet Vegeta wasn't destroyed: Goku was sent to Earth years before Vegeta was destroyed, so even if Vegeta wasn't destroyed, Goku would be on Earth. Radditz would probably still go to Earth anyway just to check how Goku was doing. Radditz, annoyed by Goku being good and a pussy, tries to kill him but Goku and Piccolo kill him but Goku dies as well. Vegeta and Nappa come to Earth to find the Dragonballs that Piccolo spoke of to Radditz and then the timeline is restored, more or less.

Yeah that all makes sense. With or without Frieza I could still see the Saiyan Saga happening. Radditz checks up on Goku and sees Earth intact. Vegeta still heads to Earth over the prospect of the DB's, ect. Now here's where it could get intresting......

One thing that is more or less certain though; if the whole Namek saga didn't happen, they'd all be screwed because then no one would have turned Super Saiyan, and all the villains in the sagas after the Namek saga (i.e. the androids, Cell, Buu) are more powerful than Super Saiyans, so we do have to assume the Namek saga happened, and therefore there is a new planet Namek somewhere.

With Frieza out of the picture Vegeta instead could have seeked medical treatment at a Saiyan controled planet or space station. In turn assuming the events of the Saiyan Saga go down the way they do in the normal timeline you've got Piccolo/Kami dead and no DB's on Earth. This in turn leads to Namek. However instead of Frieza you now have Vegeta and a team of elite Saiyans (and possibly King Vegeta if he did not die against Frieza) as the main villians on Namek. King Vegeta could have risen to become as ruthless as Frieza and become a Super Saiyan himself. In turn other Saiyans seeing their ruler becoming as evil as Frieza may have turned on him and be deemed rebels. This could be where other Saiyans come into play.

However in a situation like this it's possible that Prince Vegeta never sides with the Z Fighters and ends up on Earth. This in turn leads to no Trunks.......then again he could always make Bulma a sex slave if they invade......

In any case there you go. Even without Frieza the timeline stays intact up until post Namek. From there the question becomes how much do you want to diverge off the original timeline?

Heald
6th January 2009, 01:03 PM
To simplify things, I think the best bet would be to say that instead of blowing up Planet Vegeta, Frieza simply killed their most elite warriors (i.e. King Vegeta, Bardock and his team etc.) but obviously kept the loyal Vegeta and his lot (Radditz, Nappa etc.) alive, and with their best warriors killed, the rest of the race fell in line, becoming Frieza's slaves. Frieza then tricks Vegeta into thinking that Planet Vegeta was destroyed by meteors (in order to keep him loyal and to prevent Vegeta from trying to rise up and take his place as king), as per the original story. That way, the Saiyan and Namek Sagas would have still happened. When Goku becomes a Super Saiyan, Vegeta has already allied with the Earth lot by this time, and when Goku kills Frieza, the Planet Vegeta is freed. However, because Vegeta thinks Planet Vegeta is gone, he stays on Earth and therefore Trunks is born, causing the Cell Saga, then the Buu Saga remains as normal.

This actually works really well as an alternate reality, as you only need to change the detail about the planet not being blown up and the story would remain more or less exactly the same.

How about that? Any objections?

Asilynne
6th January 2009, 01:38 PM
To simplify things, I think the best bet would be to say that instead of blowing up Planet Vegeta, Frieza simply killed their most elite warriors (i.e. King Vegeta, Bardock and his team etc.) but obviously kept the loyal Vegeta and his lot (Radditz, Nappa etc.) alive, and with their best warriors killed, the rest of the race fell in line, becoming Frieza's slaves. Frieza then tricks Vegeta into thinking that Planet Vegeta was destroyed by meteors (in order to keep him loyal and to prevent Vegeta from trying to rise up and take his place as king), as per the original story. That way, the Saiyan and Namek Sagas would have still happened. When Goku becomes a Super Saiyan, Vegeta has already allied with the Earth lot by this time, and when Goku kills Frieza, the Planet Vegeta is freed. However, because Vegeta thinks Planet Vegeta is gone, he stays on Earth and therefore Trunks is born, causing the Cell Saga, then the Buu Saga remains as normal.

This actually works really well as an alternate reality, as you only need to change the detail about the planet not being blown up and the story would remain more or less exactly the same.

How about that? Any objections?

This is genius! I was originally worried about the events of the namek and subsequently the cell/buu sagas in this alternate timeline until I read this. It all fits so Im happy with it :>

BUT! This also leaves it open for peoples characters to be Planet Vegeta Saiyans that have found earth after being freed from Friezas control, which Im very ok with, because my original idea can still come into play only using this fragmented former slave band of saiyans instead of the outcast "unworthy" saiyans in my original idea. Can we still do this in tandem with Blades idea? It would be interesting to have 1v1v1 instead of just the typical 1v1, since I dont think either blades group or my group would actually work with each other since they have different goals (Blades after the Dragonballs while mine after control of every living saiyan). Sorry to throw an extra idea into the mix when we are almost done figuring it out but I have to know since not much was said on this initially.

Heald
6th January 2009, 01:49 PM
Well, we could either have a 3-way like you suggested, or we could stick it in the cooler and have it an idea for a possible sequel. Personally, I don't think the ideas are entirely compatible. Throwing it all in the mix would mean there would be more active crucial NPCs than PCs, which could be hard to keep track of.

Asilynne
6th January 2009, 01:54 PM
Well, we could either have a 3-way like you suggested, or we could stick it in the cooler and have it an idea for a possible sequel. Personally, I don't think the ideas are entirely compatible. Throwing it all in the mix would mean there would be more active crucial NPCs than PCs, which could be hard to keep track of.

I suppose, but whether it does become a 3 way or it goes in the cooler my character will kinda introduce that possibility by her past, so I guess no matter what it will kind of be a "whats to come" hint for the earth saiyans. Then whether it happens in this rpg or the next it can be her fault that the other saiyans found earth because of them tracking her ship there :D

Heald
6th January 2009, 02:02 PM
That's a good idea. We're setting this in the future, and in a reality where Planet Vegeta didn't blow up, therefore Saiyans are plentiful both on Earth (due to the kids of Goku and Vegeta) and in space, and there's no stopping space Saiyans from finding Earth and settling (or fighting). Therefore, if you feel we've missed anything in the backstory that you feel is relevant to your character, just put it in his/her history.

I'm going to try to talk to Blade tonight if he comes on so we can start this thing.

pokemasterfrank
6th January 2009, 06:02 PM
o.o People still remember me.

I think I'm game for anything. I remember scrapping together some stuff for a rehash of SA a while back, but I never did anything about it. I wonder if I still have it.

Well, either way, sounds like you guys have it covered. I guess I'll just wait for you guys to post the topic? :P

Heald
6th January 2009, 06:06 PM
It'd be great to have you back man.

This topic should be up soon. The wait is nearly over!