PDA

View Full Version : *~ RPG Forum Conference ~*

Bulbasaur4
5th September 2008, 03:42 AM
Bulbasaur4 sat upon the velvet-soft chair of crimson, crossing her legs neatly as she held a cup of warm tea. The steam rolled off of it lazily, wiggling only in the slight brush of a breeze as unfamiliar figures would pass. Her blue-bitten eyes were a bit tired from the previous night- staring at papers, jotting down notes and thoughts had plagued her. Yet today would be a different day, or at least she quietly hoped so. She had even rose earlier in the morning to dress herself in formal attire- hoping it would add to the seriousness of the situation.

Her silken dress of rose and black palettes was one she carefully chose, rather liking the black tie that wrapped into a bow at her back. Reaching just above her knees, it was rimmed in black as well along the sleeveless lines along her shoulders. The slightly plunging neckline helped expose the glittering silver necklace that tickled against her collarbone. Her hair was hanging loosely down- she had fought with the flatiron for a time to tame the wild and rather stubborn tendrils- but at least, it agreed to flow loosely about her shoulders in its dark, mahogany hue. Lastly had been her shoes- oh the shoes. Bulbasaur4 had never liked shoes very much, having a difficult time to pick any pair in a store, let along in her closet. After several minutes of contemplation, she finally retired to choosing black, crisscrossed sandals of glistening ebony.

"Bulbie... we're almost ready." A voice called to her, snapping her out of her meandering haze. She had been waiting in a rather empty room. The walls were plainly painted white which made a stark contrast to the couple of crimson chairs and black tables. Magazines were strewn about the tables from various past dates, as the water machine occasionally made a grumbling bubble-ensued noise.

"Alright, you're on." The voice called from outside the hall. The door was open and she rose swiftly, nerves clenching at her stomach. Things like this always made her nervous- always tormented her insides. She was not a very confident person- not in the least, although she had quietly mastered the fake appearance to seem wholly so.

"You've made announcements before... there's no worry. You have done this many, many times... no worries... no worries..." She thought repeatedly as her shoes clacked against the faded wooden floors. She could see the podium out upon the stage as she approached it from the left and the sight of it immediately sent her heart into her throat.
It was true she had done this many times, but not like this. Lately... well, not lately but in the past year or so such things had left a sour taste in her mouth. Her life was a roller coaster, especially now as she struggled to march her way through her final year of studies and prepare her thesis for her hopeful graduation. Yet, the more she had strived towards this, the more she strained to keep the contacts that so long ago she had acquired. In earnest, she had hoped that understanding and encouragement would have ensued- but the hope, seemed to wane.

Perhaps they thought her deaf, or perhaps they knew she could hear and they wanted that. But indeed, she heard the whisperings from other departments or from those who delved in multiple ones. It was tiresome, it was harsh... it was something that did not inspire her, but rather it deepened her already dismal outlook. She wanted something to be done, she had tried many times and yet her failures seemed to stick into minds like glue rather than her success. It was something she wanted to stop and it was something she was going to be frank and upfront about - something many had failed to do out of courtesy.

A murmur rumbled through the seats before the podium and Bulbasaur4 couldn't help but flicker a nervous gaze over at them. All of them were familiar faces- most of them members, some of them visitors that she had come in contact with. She tried to soak in the smiles aimed in her direction, ignoring the sour faces that seemed to stand out like a bright light.

Taking in a deep breath, she reached the podium and placed her hands neatly upon the edges. A glance down at the ground, a glance back up at the group before her. This was why she was here; for them, for the department.

"Whatever the outcome... this is for the best." She thought, her face flickering from anxiety to that of a bright, wide-eyed smile.

"Greetings, fellows of the RPG forum," She said. "I am sure are all wondering why I have called for this... conference of sorts. Allow me to explain."

It has come to my attention that for quite some time, there has been some discontentment with the overall forum. I hear whisperings and rumors of varying degrees, and at first I tried to put out such discontentment on an individual basis. Yet, then I realized I was merely putting out candles when there was a blazing fire behind me. There is simply too much backtalk to hear everything, so here I am addressing everyone openly, frankly and deliberately."

Let us face it, the RPG forum is not doing well. It can barely be called active and seems to be moving to a pace that to some, is embarrassing. It has not gone unnoticed. I've heard that many wish for a new moderator or believe that perhaps a new moderator will bring inspiration and new movement into the RPG forum. Others have said that they want new things to be done to the forum itself- new activities or such things to help bring new life to the forum."

As the senior moderator, I felt that this whole ordeal should be brought out in the open. Let me assure you, whether you choose to believe more or not, that it pains me greatly to see the state that things are in now. Not to throw my years around but to speak the truth, when I say that over the years, the RPG forum has become very dear to me. I've lived through and grown through its disappointments, its successes, its dramas, its spirited moments... I've been around through it all. The forum to me, to put it in a slang way, is 'my baby'- I love it more than any site and I take pride in all the things its done."

So, in that perspective I want whatever is good for you, the members. Because if you haven't realized by now, the forum is not an object that we have come to love and enjoy. The forum is us. If you love the RPG forum, you love the interaction with your fellow RPers, their characters, their stories. The relationship a member of this forum strikes with one another is far different than in any other forum. All of us should take pride in our abilities and our relations, regardless of the good or bad that comes with that. We would not be human if with every rise, there isn't some fall."

In that perspective, I have called together this meeting as a chance for discussion. It is quite obvious to me that if the RPG forum is to climb towards greater activity, it must be a group effort. It cannot be done by a single member, because the forum is a group effort, just like any created RPG. So if the RPG can gain some more activity, even just a little, then let's try."

What is it that you, the forum, want? I hear cries of 'new blood' and 'new ideas' but yet I have yet to have anyone address this to me. If there is something you'd like a moderator to start or try, then let me, us, know. Share your ideas, your desires and whatever else you might believe in. I cannot read your mind nor can any of the other moderators, so these things must be communicated. Of course, remember too that you do not need a moderator to try new, innovative ideas! This is your forum just as much as it is ours."

On another note as well, if you wish for a new moderator and truly believe that will aid in revitalizing the RPG forum, then let it be known. There is no sense keeping it to yourself or telling it to other members, because it will not accomplish anything but unrest. I cannot speak for the other moderators in this case for they can say it themselves, but I will step down as a moderator if others wish it. While it would be with a sad heart, I would rather see everyone else be happy and aid the RPG forum then cling to it out of my own selfishness. I've only wanted what is best for the forum, while at the same time balancing my own life- as we all have our own lives outside."

So, now let us start our discussion. All that I ask is for everyone to be civilized and watch your tongue. While I want honesty, I do not want cruelty."

She took a large breath after her large speech, feeling a great weight being lifted off of her. Her face was slightly pale and strained. Things were out in the open know, but at the same time she knew it was only the beginning... for soon hands were raised.

firepokemon
5th September 2008, 07:15 AM
Hmm very noble and good of you Bulbasaur4 to post this. I've never really been a rpger been in a few and I know I've signed up to a few. I think there just aren't enough people on the boards in general and I can't speak for others but I have other things to do and I just can't seem to get motivated to post in rpgs that I sign up to. In fact I can't be that motivated to post anywhere at the boards. I would like to post, its just everything is the same and there just isn't anyone new. Things aren't what they use to be.

I'm not sure about rpg politics and the like. But I really can't see what you mods can do to make things better. The fact is the whole of tpm is small now, we don't get new members and thus we just have to live with the fact that we're gonna die eventually. We're more lucky than some. One only has to look at UPN these days to see how sad a forum can really get.

I wish you and fellow rpgers luck in making this particular forum better.

classy_cat18
5th September 2008, 07:57 AM
What do I want? RPers that can commit themselves to an RPG more than three frickin' days! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!

It's weird. Everyone clamors over the new RPG. And then it's like someone flicks on the light and everyone runs for cover, save for a few slow ones.

I'm sick and tired of spending thirty minutes or more, time and creativity that can be used on my fanfiction, on a character that will just be swept into the recycling bin! I think I've been in two RPGs in total that were able to be finished. Out of the...three or four years I've been active in this forum. And I'm not proud about Kite's antics. ^^;;

It's gotten so that I don't even sign up for RPGs until I feel certain that they'll at least start.

I'll be more than happy to devote my break time (starting week after next) to help you whip this forum into shape. It's my duty as a game design student and a member of TPM. But the big thing I wish for is more commitment out of everyone else.

MToolen
5th September 2008, 08:08 AM
Like fp said, we're a smaller forum now than we used to be. The members that are here and are active are the same ones that have been for up to 8 years now so we've seen enough to spot a good RPG and a bad one, leaving some newcomers to the field to shy away from creating or joining new and original RPG's. Furthermore, having older members (except for those lucky ones of us in China) means having busier members who can't get to posting at times.

This doesn't mean that it's dying per se or that it's not doing well for its current size. Sure, we should probably have 5 or 6 good, active RPG's running at any given time and not just 2 or 3 snail's-pace ones, but that's what we have to work with at the moment. People like Heald and you, Kalah, are still brimming with great ideas that reach a wide audience.

We count on you to lead us in the right direction and I personally think you've done a great job for how long you've had to run this show. I can't think of any way better to mod this forum, actually; it's not like you can force someone to join or make a new RPG or character. This forum survives on the good graces of those who post in it; if we want this thing to survive, we need to show it some attention. I think the way we run things now is fine, though; I can't think of any realistic option to magically get this place running like it used to.

Mew Master
5th September 2008, 09:59 AM
Um… if I may. *stands*

I… think the moment many seem to shy away from creating long and interesting RPGs is because even with a good group, they don’t seem to last more than 2 pages, several months in slow cases. Which leaves the creator of that RPG to not… um… want to do it again because it makes them feel like their ideas aren’t wanted anymore, and no one wants to play in their games.

Like with Chains of Dragons... *everyone groans* Yeah yeah, I keep bringing it up, but it was a great RPG wasn’t it? It is the one[/i] creation of mine that lasted a good solid year, we had a lot of character development, there was so much more I wanted to go with it, however, it was also the first year I started College back in 03-04. Before that I had come up with several ones that the Sign-ups died within months, and after it the only “popular” and active RPG that seemed to draw people was Scourge, and after that I’ve just had a few RPG ideas, and even fewer that I went along and actually put up a Sign-up sheet.

So, even if we GET new members… the one problem might be the fact that many of us have been around for 7-8 years, and gone through the trials and tribulations of learning how to be a good RPer on the Forums. I can say that it helped me for my Table Top Games, and how to come up with interesting story-hooks for my players, but at the same time…

Such detailed and creative RPGs may intimidate new players that think that their RPG is nowhere up-to-par with our current set of senior players. Our current solution to this is, of course, the [b]RPG Idea Topic, however… I don’t think it’s enough.

The RPG Idea Topic is great, it lets some RPers get some feedback on their ideas, but at the same time, it doesn’t give enough, I think, feedback ON the idea itself until the person actually works on it a bit more and posts. You can post an idea, and the reason for the topic is to give constructive feedback on what needs work on the idea to make it playable. What I see happening is, only one or two people post on it, and if no one else posts a comment, it’s swamped away by another topic and then skipped over.

Another issue, may be inter-player relations and interactions.

I think it is, that there are some players, that others don’t want to deal with because of past actions. Probably because the player themselves miss-read part of the previous post, then spends a single post to chew out everyone else because they weren’t “taying appention” in the first place. This can have serious strains on a group, because people miss-read things all the time, it HAPPENS, and no one should fly off the handle at someone else for it. If nothing else, PM or IM them and ask why they thought that your character was doing something else. Maybe you worded something oddly and the next person to post about it took it a completely different direction.

Another may be what I call “Storyteller Pressure.” When someone creates an RPG, they want it to last and survive to the end (what they consider an ending). However, when the players run out of… ideas themselves and wait for others to post, slowing down the RPG, the Storytellers (those that created the game in the first place) start annoying people to “Hey! Post!” And that’s just bad manners. While it’s, disheartening to watch as your Game slips further and further down the front page, to the second, to the third, and so on... A ST/GM/DM (Storyteller/Game Master/Dungeon Master) should NOT annoy their players to post, because just like above, players are going to start saying bad things about them because the ST/GM/DM is too pushy and will refuse to play in a game with them. I… myself, try to avoid this. If I do bug anyone to post, I usually do it once a week IF I see them at all, and rarely have I had anyone bug me to post. I also don’t have everyone on a massive IM list that I can annoy on principle rather than for gaming purposes.

Quite frankly I see the same thing happen in real-life with Table Top Games and the group of gamers in my town. And it’s not far of a stretch to apply it to the RPG Forum as well.

One thing I think some, not all mind you, RPers need to work on is Player Etiquette. Treat the players and the ST/GM/DM with respect. A ST may have a master plan, but he/she should also be flexible to put aside the Main story-line to give the other characters (besides his own) some spot-light. Players like it when you pay attention to them and the characters they created, so do that! And players should talk to the ST if they have questions. We, at least I, don’t bite, and we don’t (shouldn’t) get offended when you have questions about the world, characters, setting, placing of other characters, because the ST has a bit of pull as to what happens (as long as he doesn’t abuse this power/ability/skill/annoyance). Players should respect other players characters as well. Not everyone is the uber-power-house badass we’d like them to be, so “power gaming” is a BAD IDEA, because not only do you make your own character look cheap, you make yourself look shallow as an RPer because you are unwilling to give your character any drawbacks.

Like I said, I think the previous statement is only towards a small percentage of the RPG Forums, but it is something that everyone should keep in mind at all times none-the-less.

What would I like to see? Well for one you can stop blaming yourself Bulba4. If stepping down as a Moderator is a good choice for “you”, then do it. We shouldn’t have any say in what you do with that aspect of your being a member, because it’s your choice. I don’t want you to step down, because I think you’re a great Moderator. If you step down it should be because you, quite simply, can’t do it anymore due to school/work/life/ect… I’m not going to tell you to step down, so don’t be asking me to say such. Sides, you worked hard in your position, I’d like to see you continue it for as long as you’re able.

I think we need… more… gah, how do I put it. Okay, individual things I’d like to see return, implemented, or improved:

The RPG Newsletter: This was a great idea, and granted we “borrowed” it from the FanFic Forum, and even they’re on a slow decline as well. I think the Newsletter should be brought back, posted in the RPG Lounge and used as a compilation of various members working to improve the quality of RPing on the Forums. Have some members volunteer to do articles, I’ve offered a few of my own experiences growing as an RPer to the Newsletter back when it was still around, and have a schedule/deadline for a monthly release. Do an RPG/Member (or both) of the Month, with maybe some general tips on improving RPing and a look at other stuff, an RPG, or RPG Forum Member (hey, we all like attention).

RPG Idea Topic: This is a great topic, however it’s not being used to its full potential. I, personally, have posted several ideas for RPGs and only received feedback on two… maybe three, and even then they weren’t that helpful. “Tweek this and that.” “I’d SO play in that.” While those comments are useful (and needed), they aren’t near as what I would like to see it become. Give feedback: Say that you like the concept, but some of the plot (which is still under construction I’m assuming, as I use it to put ideas on paper for feedback, like a sketch for a commission) but needs work or a direction (I have received these, I’m just not “plot” oriented right now XP, and I think the Players should make the majority of the plot.. but then again that's the Table Top gamer in me talking ^^U). When I (or another hopeful ST/GM/DM) don’t get feedback, more often the RPGs fall short… Much like Book of the Dragon King, and right now Dual Nature. But this is from MY perspective, and I think it could be expanded upon. Usually when you get round to starting an RPG, you spend a bit more time on it, working out the mechanics, the time, the place, the powers, because you want it to be balanced as well as fun.

Member Rankings: I think Weasie’s done a good job with this, and I’m glad it was implemented. May fluxuate as school and jobs become more of an issue, but other than that it’s doing good.

Art (?): For those of us with artistic talent (which writing is artistic, don’t get me wrong), maybe we need an art topic or something similar on major art sites. We could always bug the Fan Art Forum, but our stuff isn’t really “fan art” because it’s of our own characters (many times, other characters).

Direction: We. Need. Direction. Generally we’d expect the Moderators to help in this, as our “ruling” class. BUT! It is you who is asking US (the peons) for direction, which is good. You said yourself that you want to know what we want, but it’s also not just up to us, it’s up to everyone (the Mods included). I’ve seen a few people volunteer their time and energy to help you, but help you on what? We need ideas, we need feedback, we need dedicated Posters and serious & fun Role Players. So how do we go about this? We need a plan before we start shuffling off in random directions like cockroaches when the lights come on. I say we pick some paths, get some backing (from the members) and THEN go off to work on those ideas, and Mods should be there with the cattle-prod zapping our butts to make sure we’re working on those aspects, if the members who volunteer start slacking. Hey, we took the job, we might as well finish it.

So, don’t blame yourself Bulba4. You should know better than that. The RPG Forum’s decline is not the result of one person, but of the community as a whole. And everyone’s guilty of it, not just you.

So. Let’s pick a direction. Chart the course. And get the dice rollin’!

Heald
5th September 2008, 11:15 AM
one[/i] lol

One thing I [B]think some, not all mind you, RPers need to work on is Player Etiquette. Treat the players and the ST/GM/DM with respect.
To be honest, I don't think this has actually been a problem for at least a year, but I haven't been participating all that much so I may not have noticed it.

The RPG Newsletter: This was a great idea, and granted we “borrowed” it from the FanFic Forum, and even they’re on a slow decline as well. I think the Newsletter should be brought back, posted in the RPG Lounge and used as a compilation of various members working to improve the quality of RPing on the Forums. Have some members volunteer to do articles, I’ve offered a few of my own experiences growing as an RPer to the Newsletter back when it was still around, and have a schedule/deadline for a monthly release. Do an RPG/Member (or both) of the Month, with maybe some general tips on improving RPing and a look at other stuff, an RPG, or RPG Forum Member (hey, we all like attention).
I was actually thinking of asking Kalah if I could restart the newsletter, so I'm glad someone else has the initiative as well.

Member Rankings: I think Weasie’s done a good job with this, and I’m glad it was implemented. May fluxuate as school and jobs become more of an issue, but other than that it’s doing good.
I was the one who first suggested (or at least openly, anyway) the idea of rankings a few years back when we were facing a similar crisis of lack of interest. The thing is, now it actually has/was implemented, I don't think it served much of a purpose. Everyone was given a one time ranking that never really changed and to be honest I doubt anyone really cared about it to be honest. No offence Weasel, it was an ambitious challenge but in practice the system really wasn't necessary, nor did it help or hinder really. I actually don't think it is needed any more, nor was it in the first place. People should be RPing for the love of it, not to gain some meaningless score. Hopefully this would be replaced by 'RPer of the month' in the prospective newletter if it gets off the ground.

In fact, I propose scrapping the rankings and instead having monthly nominations for these catergories:

Roleplayer of the Month
RPG of the Month
Post of the Month
Character of the Month
Moment of the Month

These could be decided through both recommendations from members who PM those in charge of the scheme, plus the editors of the newsletter who collaborate in the likely event there aren't enough nominations to make it meaningful.

Art (?): For those of us with artistic talent (which writing is artistic, don’t get me wrong), maybe we need an art topic or something similar on major art sites. We could always bug the Fan Art Forum, but our stuff isn’t really “fan art” because it’s of our own characters (many times, other characters).
I'd just like to say I'm in favour of this.

Anyway, I've just realised that my recent activity may have been spurred by the fact that I'm in between employment and returning to university, which may impact my RPG life. I will try and not to let it.

Roy Karrde
5th September 2008, 11:45 AM
WAHHH! WALL OF TEXTS WHILE AT SCHOOL!

Alright well I agree on the newsletter and would be glad to help Kalah in anyway possible.

I also would like to work on the RPG TCG, we went a long way with it and then some of my main helpers and inspiration kind of disappeared on me ^^;; If Heald and I could work together we could set up a ban list, tournies, etc

Also I would like to suggest maybe the possibility of RPGs that have shorter posts. Everyone wants to show off their writing and detail skills which is great but off putting to others. Back in the old days the posts were incredibly small. Maybe a few fast paced short posts RPGs could help

Also possibly game incorperated RPGs, things like Anime Wars or other things could really be fun. Anywayyyy... * Dodges Kalah's flamethrower *

classy_cat18
5th September 2008, 11:50 AM
Also I would like to suggest maybe the possibility of RPGs that have shorter posts. Everyone wants to show off their writing and detail skills which is great but off putting to others. Back in the old days the posts were incredibly small. Maybe a few fast paced short posts RPGs could help

I'd have to disagree. Some of us like to write long posts, but we also shouldn't discourage others from writing short ones. Everyone should post how they like.

EDIT: The problem with fast paced, short post RPGs is that they could get too fast. Someone could get unexpectedly busy for a couple of days and then come back to find out that they have to read a page or two of posts. Like what used to happen in Twilight Town.

Roy Karrde
5th September 2008, 11:51 AM
I'd have to disagree. Some of us like to write long posts, but we also shouldn't discourage others from writing short ones. Everyone should post how they like.

Yeah I know but very long posts tend to cause people to think they also have to write their own long posts. So maybe possibly one or two RPGs based around short two or three paragraph at the most posts? I am not saying all RPGs go that way, but have a few quick fast paced short post RPGs.

Mew Master
5th September 2008, 11:56 AM
Yeah I know but very long posts tend to cause people to think they also have to write their own long posts. So maybe possibly one or two RPGs based around short two or three paragraph at the most posts? I am not saying all RPGs go that way, but have a few quick fast paced short post RPGs.

Actually, no. I have said in some of my RPGs that I started that "I like detail" and possibly pressured others into it subconsciously, but I DO like detail (scientist talking again). However Long posts don't (shouldn't) pressure others into writing long posts. If you write long posts, then you do so because you want to explore your character and their interactions with others. It's not a BAD thing so much as it is a bit time consuming to write that up. If you write short posts, then it's fine. Sometimes RPGs go faster with short posts, but it also leaves out a lot of character exploring.

Crystal Tears
5th September 2008, 12:44 PM
I agree with the RPG Idea Topic needing a revamp, is there some way we could make it so people could post more on the said idea?

Player Etiquette, in general I don't think it's a big problem that everyone is bouncing around swearing, and tearing each other limb to limb... The problem lies with the fear that someone is going to do this. Perhaps some RPGs suffer because people are afraid that if they play a character wrong or do something unplanned, that someone is going to bite their head off for it.

People shouldn't be afraid to get something wrong, if you make a character do something that's off, it's all right. Fact being you'll learn better from that experience than not posting at all. Another thing is if someone does something unplanned and it involves your character, bare with it. Part of RPG in my opinion is bracing the new ideas and using them to your advantage. There will always be another time you'll get a chance for whatever you wanted to do, so suck it up and play with others.

Shorter posts, while possibly faster, leaves everything way to open. In my opinion anyways...

Anyways, maybe we should change the way we RP? I talked to Mew Master about this, perhaps if we actually had a Storyteller (like in WoD or D&D) telling you certain things every so often and you reacted to them... Maybe the RPG would get somewhere? You're getting portions of the plot faster than a regular RPG, but we would still be able to post and such just like now.

I'm sorry if it not very clear, I'm bad at explain things... ^^'' Just an idea though.

classy_cat18
5th September 2008, 12:53 PM
Anyways, maybe we should change the way we RP? I talked to Mew Master about this, perhaps if we actually had a Storyteller (like in WoD or D&D) telling you certain things every so often and you reacted to them... Maybe the RPG would get somewhere? You're getting portions of the plot faster than a regular RPG, but we would still be able to post and such just like now.

I'm sorry if it not very clear, I'm bad at explain things... ^^'' Just an idea though.

Well...that could possibly work. It's a good option for those who are fans of the D&D style. Will people sign up to be the Storyteller of specific RPGs or will we have a team of them, like ASB has their referees?

Crystal Tears
5th September 2008, 01:04 PM
I think the Storyteller would be whoever created the said RPG. However, we could have team of them (or sign ups) if the creator/designer(s) of the world(s) didn't want to do it. In the long run it would at least get people interacting with each other and might overcome some barriers.

Mew Master
5th September 2008, 02:35 PM
Heh, CT, you're making me feel possibly loved! XD

Anyway... if we do pick a ST/DM style RP (which is still up for debate) I say we stick to a specific way of posting, that way everything can stay... somewhat balanced. So... how bout I post an example of how I run Werewolf: The Forsaken on CATTG's Boards?

EXAMPLE:

Let’s say that we have two players and one ST. The two players are myself (~DR) and Helios Raven. Let’s say that ~DR is playing a character known as Vincent Nelson, a Ghost Wolf Irraka Paranormal Private Investigator, while Helios Raven is playing Weeping Star, a Hunter in Darkness Irraka. If ~DR Posts first, then here is an example of what I’m expecting:

Chapter: Death’s Hand

Moon Phase: Waning Half

Time in Game: 11:34 PM

Date: August 24th, 2008, Wednesday

Scene:

The moon lights the run-down areas of Denver’s slums lightly. Clouds move across the face of Luna as she stares down upon the world. Walking in from a side-alley is a man. His tan trenchcoat nearly touching the spoiled concrete. A lit cigarette rested between his lips as he searched the shadows for signs of his contact. He was already late in getting here, Azlu were tenacious bastards when they were hungry, a set of fresh wounds still bleeding under his clothes.

His contact wasn’t hiding from him however. A wolf was melded, nearly perfectly, within the shadows, and Vincent knew he had found who he was looking for…

ST Notes: Go at it…

Time in Game: 11:41 PM

Current Health:
Vincent (9): XXX
Weeping Star (8): None

Roster:

~DR
Helios Raven

Vincent inhaled on his cigarette, drawing the ember closer to the filter. The injuries were healing, so he didn’t need to keep it in check by using his own spiritual fuel. He took his hands out of his pockets and faced the wolf, melded amongst the shadows. Reaching into his trenchcoat he pulled out a collection of bone-like objects tied together with a leather string.

“I am Vincent Nelson, a Ghost Wolf. I’m glad you’ve come here to meet with me, for we have some urgent matters to discuss.” He held the leather strap higher so that the wolf could see.

“These are the parts from an Azlu nest I happened upon while coming here, I hope this makes up for my tardiness.” With that he tosses the leather chain to the wolf crouched in the shadows. “But now we have business to attend to.”

And then Helios Raven Posts afterwards:

Weeping Star Looked at the figurer standing before him unsure if it was indeed the man he was waiting for at first until he speaks, “I am Vincent Nelson, a Ghost Wolf. I’m glad you’ve come here to meet with me, for we have some urgent matters to discuss.” He held the leather strap higher so that the wolf could see.

“These are the parts from an Azlu nest I happened upon while coming here, I hope this makes up for my tardiness.” With that he tosses the leather chain to the wolf crouched in the shadows. “But now we have business to attend to.”

Weeping Star looked at the leather chain as it hit the ground, heh, at lest he has a good reason for being late with that he looked to make sure they were alone before switching back to Hishu form he then stepped out of the Shadows so Vincent could see him better, "It's about time," His voice was cold for he was not happy about the situation, "so what news do you have for me? "

The Storyteller will take the post given by the player, incorporate any rolls that correlate to the actions taken, and then base the post upon the success or failure of your actions. They will also play the part of NPCs, final saying on outcomes, and dice roller. With such examples as above, the Storyteller shall make their post as follows:

Chapter: Death’s Hand

Moon Phase: Waning Half

Time in Game: 11:41 PM

Date: August 24th, 2008, Wednesday

Scene:

Being late, Vincent produces the evidence for his tardiness. The Azlu will never bother Uratha again. He gives the trinkets to Weeping Star as a token of good will, which the Hunter in Darkness considers before going to the business at hand.

One of Weeping Star’s former charges has been implicated as being a Bale Hound, and the word reached Vincent. Due to the Ghost Wolf’s opinion of Bale Hounds, he wants to investigate along with the accused former supporter. Before jumping in and just decapitating the werewolf, Vincent is going to go through any means to dig up whether there is any truth to this accusation, hence his deed name: Truthstalker.

The Hunter in Darkness is appalled and shocked at the news, but is also concerned with one of his former charges. For a tribe that prides the Oath, such a connection would leave a blemish on the Tribe and on Weeping Star’s own renown (Sensing Lies: Wits + Subterfuge + 1 (Subterfuge Specialty: Spotting Lies) = 7 [0 Successes! FAILURE!]), but the other Irraka is telling the truth from what the Hunter can tell.

ST Notes: Now the two Irraka have to work together to uncover any information regarding the accusations. First off they need to track down the source of the information, and whatever dark paths that may lead…

Vincent heard the word from one of the spirits that he’s had good ties with. Time to go track it down again.

Time in Game: 11:58 PM

Current Health:
Vincent (9): X
Weeping Star (8): None

Roster:

Helios Raven
~DR

However this is just a small snipit of my... basic rules for posting in THAT game...

But, if we do change the way we RP, or to mix it up, we'd have to agree on a system such that everyone would agree on it. However, I'm already running three or so games on CATTG's boards.. I could handle more.. but I don't know if I really wanna... <,<U

EngiMatikul
5th September 2008, 04:28 PM
I also would like to work on the RPG TCG, we went a long way with it and then some of my main helpers and inspiration kind of disappeared on me ^^;;

I DID NOT DISAPPEAR ON YOU! :V The idea, while popular, was hard for people to understand and there wasn't enough support to generate cards and characters... there were only like 3 people making cards. Since already a good number of people didn't know how TCGs worked and most people were only familiar with one type of TCG, so they couldn't get their heads around another playstyle, it was too difficult to incorporate especially since this was all on whim. Additionally the success of the idea required way more devotion than the members in RPG could give, at the time.

....Umm I have nothing else to say except I apologize on behalf of WO, Chiko-Sai and I for the sudden hiatus of FurinKazan. Please expect the RPG to get back up on its feet 30 years later when we're all settled and retired!

Mew Master
5th September 2008, 05:04 PM
Actually, the RPG TCG was a good idea, however there were really ... any rules or restrictions on MAKING cards. What's the basic template for building the card. To make it work I think we should have some groundwork to start with and build from there.

But that's just me.. ^^U

Besides, we seem to be getting off topic ... just a bit...

Roy Karrde
5th September 2008, 05:47 PM
I DID NOT DISAPPEAR ON YOU! :V The idea, while popular, was hard for people to understand and there wasn't enough support to generate cards and characters... there were only like 3 people making cards. Since already a good number of people didn't know how TCGs worked and most people were only familiar with one type of TCG, so they couldn't get their heads around another playstyle, it was too difficult to incorporate especially since this was all on whim. Additionally the success of the idea required way more devotion than the members in RPG could give, at the time.

No no please please dont think I was talking about you. It was a few others, that I don't want to mention, that went away for most of the summer. I hope that they are now back that we can begin the project again but they are only on sparatically.

Drusilla
5th September 2008, 06:33 PM
I know that, for me personally, I just keep having shit pop up... and trust me, this is affecting every part of my life. I'm once again unemployed, yet I'm too screwed up to really work right now, anyway. But that's not my point.

My point is that, like it or not, we're older now. We have responsibilities and problems that we never had before. It's one thing to goof off online with your friends when you're in middle and high school, as compared to college. We have rent, car insurance, health problems, computer crashes on small budgets, work/school (or even both), just to name a few.

Gods, I hate getting old. ><

I agree with the others that have said that we have the ability to become active again, even with a smaller population, but only if we're willing to make a commitment (ZOMG, the "C-word"!). With the other commitments that our society requires of us, it's hard... really, really hard. If we're willing, I know that we're able.

Getting back to myself, because I know I've been constantly criticized for randomly disappearing while in the middle of a project, I'm just now getting to the point where I can take care of myself, much less my commitments. I'm facing the possibility of early MS, which scares the crap out of me...

Take this as my pledge that I WILL NOT GIVE UP. I refuse to allow another RPG to die while I can keep it going. If anything goes down, it will NOT be due to my lack of activity.

However, as much as I try, I cannot do this alone. A healthy RPG requires interaction between members both on the boards and off. The most successful RPGs that I've been in also had character exploration chats that allowed people to get a better feel for others while posting.

Now that I am in a more stable environment, I will be available more often. I'm totally ready to tackle this problem head-on. Kalah and Roy (and Wurzle, when she returns), you both know that you can call on me for anything. Drusie is reporting for duty. *salutes*

Blademaster
5th September 2008, 07:01 PM
I'm in favor of shorter posts, more participation, and breaking away from the cliches that this board has built itself out of over the past... Well... Awhile. Seriously, how many RPG's have there been based off angels/demons? Mythological creatures? Anime? RPG's like Final Fantasy and Dungeons & Dragons?

OK, now how many RPG's have we had involving futuristic settings? How about mummies? Dinosaurs? The Apocalypse being caused not by a war between experimental monstrosities or the armies of Hell, but, say... The Sun exploding? A storm of sodium-based meteors that sets the oceans ablaze? A dimensional distortion that turns the planet into a hypersphere and fucks up every aspect of everyday life?

We need more original ideas. Maybe it's just me, but you can only do dragons, demons, werewolves, emos (Mention Ivan and I'll punch you. :sweat:) and names that sound like Star Trek convention word jumbles so many times before the shpiel gets old and tiresome...

Bulbasaur4
5th September 2008, 09:16 PM
Wow, I'm glad for all of the responses. Here are a few more of my thoughts...

1.) Newsletter
I loved this when I started it way back when and I'd love to get it rolling again. I'll probably copy the Fan Fiction in doing their announcement and call for articles. And also, I'd like to add to Heald's idea of not so much rankings, but awards for the month such as post, character and RPer of the month. They could be announced in the newsletter, giving it even more purpose. me likes!

2.) Shorter Posts
Bah. If you want to post shorter posts, do so and if you want to post long posts, do so. I really hate putting limits or restrictions on posting styles. I have yet to see anyone complain for a long time on a post being too short or too long. We all know eachother well enough to not be afraid to ask (and if you are, you should then privately PM the creator) if you have problems.

3.) Change RP-Style
This is in regards to the Mew Master & Co. idea of new RP styles. I, personally, do not think our style of RP is much of a problem and not one of the reasons for slow posting. I find the idea of, 'I'm not posting because I don't know what to do' rather... well... cliche. If you don't have interaction, make some or PM a fellow member to inquire about some future interaction. Take some ownership! But as for the new style, it doesn't hurt to try! While I don't see it having to be something board-implemented, obviously, it can definately be something that RPers can try out. I say, if the interaction or the RPG is slowing down, then the creator can take some action to move things along. It never hurts.

EDIT: 3.5) Cliche

I don't find cliches to be a huge problem... the reason cliches are cliches are because they are popular. However, if you want something different I suggest that requests be placed in the ideas topic as well. If you want to see a new genre, but don't have the creativity to start one... request it in the Ideas topic! Also, in regards to the Ideas topic... I will try to check it out more and comment on it. Truth be told, I rarely look at it and I'll make more of an effort.

4.) Curtious
This is my own note, but I know that we're all busy at times. It's completely understandable and no one is going to argue that. My only pet peeve, is when people say they're busy and yet they're posting many posts in other parts of the boards. If they don't want to post or don't have the brain power for it. then INFORM the RPG you're in! There's nothing more annoying then asking RPers (nicely) if they would be active in your RPG, and then finding out that a.) they're really busy and can't post for weeks or b.) aren't interested in being in it anymore. I don't mind if that happens, but at least be kind enough to inform the RPG you're in, rather then the creator having to be left in wonder along with the rest of the dedicated members.

Thanks for all the suggestions and as I *think* said before, this is a discussion topic so feel free to keep posting. :3

Mew Master
5th September 2008, 10:17 PM
3.) Change RP-Style
This is in regards to the Mew Master & Co. idea of new RP styles. I, personally, do not think our style of RP is much of a problem and not one of the reasons for slow posting. I find the idea of, 'I'm not posting because I don't know what to do' rather... well... cliche. If you don't have interaction, make some or PM a fellow member to inquire about some future interaction. Take some ownership! But as for the new style, it doesn't hurt to try! While I don't see it having to be something board-implemented, obviously, it can definately be something that RPers can try out. I say, if the interaction or the RPG is slowing down, then the creator can take some action to move things along. It never hurts.

Um... in my defense (and so I don't get killed) I would like to re-establish the fact that it was Crystal Tear's suggestion that we try different RP styles... I just gave an example of how I run a Table-Top-like RP system...

Blademaster
6th September 2008, 01:31 AM
Might as well keep plugging along.

2.) Shorter Posts
Bah. If you want to post shorter posts, do so and if you want to post long posts, do so. I really hate putting limits or restrictions on posting styles. I have yet to see anyone complain for a long time on a post being too short or too long. We all know eachother well enough to not be afraid to ask (and if you are, you should then privately PM the creator) if you have problems.

OK, yeah. We all know each other pretty well. But there are a few people out there, myself included, who simply post TOO MUCH. I remember once in The Scourge that I posted a battle between Ivan and a demonic steelsmith; I had to scroll down FIVE TIMES to read the whole thing.

Then there are people who simply put too much detail into too many unnecessary things. I won't name names, but emotions and scenario are one thing. The color and fabric of your character's fez is quite another.

If posts have no length limit, that's fine. But if you're post is more than, like, 10 paragraphs, I think you should be considerate enough to at least put a tl;dr at the bottom.

EDIT: 3.5) Cliche

I don't find cliches to be a huge problem...

Like the cliche you just mentioned about how people don't post when they dunno what to do?

the reason cliches are cliches are because they are popular. However, if you want something different I suggest that requests be placed in the ideas topic as well. If you want to see a new genre, but don't have the creativity to start one... request it in the Ideas topic! Also, in regards to the Ideas topic... I will try to check it out more and comment on it. Truth be told, I rarely look at it and I'll make more of an effort.

That's another big problem: Dumping all our complaints into the Idea Topic will fix nothing. Because nobody ever POSTS in the Idea Topic. Even if we put our complaints and ideas there, we almost NEVER get feedback or advice. It's the equivalent of cleaning your room by jamming everything in the closet.

Mew Master
6th September 2008, 01:34 AM
I agree with Blade that the Idea Topic needs a complete over-haul. maybe make it a bit more structured. Like make it a Feed-back area where memebers PM their idea to the heads of the Feed-back and then it's scheduled to be discussed for interest and work on the plot, story, any other constructive ideas they need.

classy_cat18
6th September 2008, 01:49 AM
I agree with Blade that the Idea Topic needs a complete over-haul. maybe make it a bit more structured. Like make it a Feed-back area where memebers PM their idea to the heads of the Feed-back and then it's scheduled to be discussed for interest and work on the plot, story, any other constructive ideas they need.

Scheduled? Maybe that's a little too structured.

Mew Master
6th September 2008, 01:50 AM
Maybe we need some structure right now...

Bulbasaur4
6th September 2008, 04:54 AM
Blade, by cliche I meant in RPG ideas as in plot-wise. I think you knew that. :P No need to be jabbing.

As for the Ideas Topic, I doubt many realized there was such a huge problem with it. Maybe with it being brought to attention now, people will be more apt to look at it. However, this is my suggestion for the Ideas topic that might make it more... fun to participate in it.

How about we gather a list of all the RPers who would be willing to give their 10 cents on an RPG idea. (And by 10 cents, I meant they give meaningful, quality feedback on an RPG.) So let's say we have, 5 people who are willing to do this. So we take that list of people and make a new Idea Topic. These five people are listed in the topic, along with a little info of their interests. It would be like this...

Bulbasaur4 - Likes: Fantasy, Neo-Gothic, Romance. Dislikes: Fighting-orientated RPGs, sci-fi. UNBIASED

The "UNBIASED" remark would be the RPer's personal view that they think they'd be unbiased in giving feedback to an RPG. So that is to say, even though they dislike sci-fi, they'd still give good feedback and wouldn't be a complete downer about it.

So we have the list of RPers, so when people want to try out their idea they can fill out the Idea form in the topic. They can then ask for a particular RPer in the list to give them feedback on their idea. (They should also PM the RPer as well, if they want a more prompt response... wouldn't be required, but suggested.) They also could mark "free for all" on their sign-up, which would mean anyone else who'd want to give feedback on that idea could feel free to make remarks. That way the topic wouldn't be entirely formal, but it woudl guarentee that at least SOMEONE will respond to your idea and perhaps even more!

I think that would work... or at least, would be good enough to try. What do you guys think?

As for requesting genres, perhaps we just simply create a Genre Request thread. That way people (like myself at this point) who want to make an RPG but aren't sure how to go about it, can glance in the thread to see what people want. The requests can be as specific or broad as they like. :3

Blademaster
6th September 2008, 09:12 AM
How about we gather a list of all the RPers who would be willing to give their 10 cents on an RPG idea. (And by 10 cents, I meant they give meaningful, quality feedback on an RPG.) So let's say we have, 5 people who are willing to do this. So we take that list of people and make a new Idea Topic. These five people are listed in the topic, along with a little info of their interests. It would be like this...

Bulbasaur4 - Likes: Fantasy, Neo-Gothic, Romance. Dislikes: Fighting-orientated RPGs, sci-fi. UNBIASED

Consider it done.

Name: Blademaster
Likes: Originality, creativity, science, action, horror, comedy, some anime, video games.
Dislikes: Romance, fantasy, religion, mythology, rehashes of past ideas.
Bias Level: Simon Cowell

As for requesting genres, perhaps we just simply create a Genre Request thread. That way people (like myself at this point) who want to make an RPG but aren't sure how to go about it, can glance in the thread to see what people want. The requests can be as specific or broad as they like. :3

How about... No?

Instead, how about we put that where it belongs: The IDEA TOPIC.

Look, I know RPG has gone to Hell in a handbasket. Most of TPM has. But why in the name of dolphin-safe tuna do we need the ABANDONED Twilight Town, the DISUSED Idea Topic, AND a Genre Request Thread?

Denny is right - we need to structure this place because there IS no structure here. None. ZERO. Nobody responds to ideas. Up until recently, nobody had posted in Twilight Town for SIX MONTHS. And nowadays, the rare new RPG that appears, let alone gets STARTED, never breaks a page or two.

I don't wanna see TPM die. This place was my first online home. I want it to stick around.

But for that to happen, we need to rip this place apart and build from the ground up. RP-er's have to start posting again and using the damn ABSENCE Tower. Countless useless threads have to be removed and replaced with a sturdy system - even ASB, as withered as it is, is still built on a foundation of rules that keep it running smoothly. We need that here.

And lastly, and I know this sucks to hear, but the 'Out with the old; in with the new.' approach applies to the Moderators here, too. Weasel Overlord has pretty much vanished from the face of the Earth. Roy Karrde does little on TPM nowadays but debate. Ultimate Charizard, Plantae, and God-knows-who-else that was here before my time have all either been demodded or left.

The only Moderator that even makes an attempt to keep this place running is you, Kalah. You need a new staff. A staff of regulars that can keep order and come up with new ideas, and not leave this place to stagnate when things start to slow down.

classy_cat18
6th September 2008, 09:44 AM
How about... No?

Instead, how about we put that where it belongs: The IDEA TOPIC.

Look, I know RPG has gone to Hell in a handbasket. Most of TPM has. But why in the name of dolphin-safe tuna do we need the ABANDONED Twilight Town, the DISUSED Idea Topic, AND a Genre Request Thread?

Denny is right - we need to structure this place because there IS no structure here. None. ZERO. Nobody responds to ideas. Up until recently, nobody had posted in Twilight Town for SIX MONTHS. And nowadays, the rare new RPG that appears, let alone gets STARTED, never breaks a page or two.

I don't wanna see TPM die. This place was my first online home. I want it to stick around.

But for that to happen, we need to rip this place apart and build from the ground up. RP-er's have to start posting again and using the damn ABSENCE Tower. Countless useless threads have to be removed and replaced with a sturdy system - even ASB, as withered as it is, is still built on a foundation of rules that keep it running smoothly. We need that here.

And lastly, and I know this sucks to hear, but the 'Out with the old; in with the new.' approach applies to the Moderators here, too. Weasel Overlord has pretty much vanished from the face of the Earth. Roy Karrde does little on TPM nowadays but debate. Ultimate Charizard, Plantae, and God-knows-who-else that was here before my time have all either been demodded or left.

The only Moderator that even makes an attempt to keep this place running is you, Kalah. You need a new staff. A staff of regulars that can keep order and come up with new ideas, and not leave this place to stagnate when things start to slow down.

Can I make a few comments that I hope don't sound completely stupid?

We can merge the Absence topic with the Twilight Town to something that helps us know what's going on in the offline world.

We cannot foresee some things that make us absent, like computer crashes, sudden illnesses, even worse. Sometimes it's hard to notify because of a lack of a computer. This seems to be one of the main killers of RPGs. It happens.

About the moderators. Weasel Overlord was dealing with work, college, or both. Isn't she an English major? Roy Karrde has been spending a lot of time in Misc. and I agree that he should help us with RPG in general before concentrating on ASBRPG and the RPG TCG. He has started Anime Wars so it's kind of a start.

If push comes to shove, maybe a assistant mod if we don't want another full moderator.

firepokemon
6th September 2008, 09:50 AM
Surely Pokemon TCG and ASBRPG are attempts to get activity for TPM which surely should be good for the roleplaying board?

I didn't know this topic was an excuse to go bash moderators.

classy_cat18
6th September 2008, 09:59 AM
Surely Pokemon TCG and ASBRPG are attempts to get activity for TPM which surely should be good for the roleplaying board?

It's not. I just think that for now, we concentrate on the main RPG forum before trying to restart ASBRPG and the TCG.

Bulbasaur4
6th September 2008, 10:49 AM
Well, I suppose the Idea topic could contain requests as well although to me that seems a little less structured. The Ideas topic, from what I understood, was for people who HAD ideas to check to see if they'd be good to do and use for themselves. Where as requesting genres were for people who didn't want to start an RPG but were offering their own advice as to what genres they'd like to see. Personally, I'd rather have the two topics divided so I don't have to waste my time spanning through one big topic to pull out what I want from what I don't.

But in anycase, I'd like feedback on my previously purposed revamp of the Ideas topic. Do you guys think that'd be something to try? go back to my previous post if you're not sure what I'm referring to. ^_^

Roy Karrde
6th September 2008, 10:52 AM
Roy Karrde does little on TPM nowadays but debate.

Looking back at the last 100 Days.

ASBRPG, RPG TCG, Pokemon School, World of Heroes, Anime Wars, Gunslinger Pokemon, One Breath from Immortality.

All of these are RPGs I have either made, or particpated in. I know you do not like me Blademaster, but lets keep from spreading outright lies around here okay?

DarkestLight
6th September 2008, 10:56 AM
*Jumps from the shadows*

o.o K. I read alot. Henceforth ya dun really ever see me post. But I've tried my hand at the RP here, and yes, it kinda sucks. The ideas dun suck, and the attitude of the RP'ers dun suck. What does suck is the amount of involvement. (Its alot from VERY FEW-as opposed to a lil from everyone-which would make RP's many pages longer, rather than the 1-3 birthing steps) Yes, unforeseen things come up; but its harder here where the general community is around the same age bracket-and now most everyone IS at that age when crap happens and there's nothing you can really do about it for like, years.

I kinda like this part of the Forum too, and that's because it has a chance to flourish, but I get turned away by far far too many remixes of ideas as well. So that Idea that was mentioned by you B4, with the choice list of members and likes and dislikes-would help everyone throw out new ideas that didn't seem stale. People would have a chance to be different and not feel like they would reach out to a few people (let someone start a Dino RP. What!?!?! Would not believe my involvement.)

No one can control attendance here, so interest is really your only major pull. Keep interest high, and people will FIND ways to return. They'll remember there's that sweet azz story they want their character to post in, and even though they won't be back for a little over a week-they'll get it done. (least I'm like that...)

Secondly, structure may be necessary, but its harder here when the main idea to flow. You need a stream of people ready to go to an idea, rather than an idea and snag people (as retarted as that sounds)

Like-the signup stuff. Seriously, how many RP's here have sign-ups before they begin. Start the danged RP and people will jump in, as long as you (the HM of the RP) continue to post. You might be RPing with only 1-3 people at the start, but hey, as long as that's a start, people might jump into the microRP you've started and explode it into the MacroRP you wish it to be.

I dun think anyone would get turned away if like,the HM of the RP was RPing a starting conversation with the first few rapid players that jump in, people wold just be like "Oh, they're having a convo. That's easy to get into" and then it'll grow until its gangrene :P

But I can see why sign-ups are necessary as well. You wanna make sure all slots are filled. Well, sometimes, ya just gotta go with what ya got :O.

--Dun really know if that contributed to anything here, just wanted to offer my thoughts as well *Dives back into shadows*

classy_cat18
6th September 2008, 11:12 AM
Let me retract my previous statement about Roy. Now I will bow out of this discussion before I put my virtual foot in my virtual mouth again.

Mew Master
6th September 2008, 11:17 AM

I don't think anyone's bashing Mods here, just stating the evidence as seen. I don't think any of it was meant as hatefull or bashing, just... blunt.

As for the Ideas Topic, I doubt many realized there was such a huge problem with it. Maybe with it being brought to attention now, people will be more apt to look at it. However, this is my suggestion for the Ideas topic that might make it more... fun to participate in it.

The "UNBIASED" remark would be the RPer's personal view that they think they'd be unbiased in giving feedback to an RPG. So that is to say, even though they dislike sci-fi, they'd still give good feedback and wouldn't be a complete downer about it.

So we have the list of RPers, so when people want to try out their idea they can fill out the Idea form in the topic. They can then ask for a particular RPer in the list to give them feedback on their idea. (They should also PM the RPer as well, if they want a more prompt response... wouldn't be required, but suggested.) They also could mark "free for all" on their sign-up, which would mean anyone else who'd want to give feedback on that idea could feel free to make remarks. That way the topic wouldn't be entirely formal, but it woudl guarentee that at least SOMEONE will respond to your idea and perhaps even more!

I think that would work... or at least, would be good enough to try. What do you guys think?

It's a start, but I was thinking something more along the lines of this:

RPG Idea Topic

*Short introduction of the Topics goals, ideas, message statement*

*How to ask for help*

*Sign-up forum for a rough sketch of their RPG*

*List of Members who would volunteer their time and energy to discuss and help the RPer like so*

Name:
Short Description:
Genre's liked:
Genre's Disliked:
RPG Forum record: (how many started, how many succeeded [past three pages], how many with GOOD plot, ect)

*schedule of who's RPG idea is going to be looked at for the week. If no one posts on it, it stays on the list until it's given appropriate feedback. Everyone who Volunteered must post some constructive feedback. Those who aren't on the list can comment and give their feedback as well, even if it is just "I'd play in that cause of ", however the Volunteers cannot do that*

*once the above is finished, the group moves onto the next RPG on the list for consideration.*

*list for RPG Requests [This is so we can group the RPG Request Board and Idea topics into the same thing with a bit more structured] If there is a genre or certian type of RPG you want to see, request it and some of the members can (and are encouraged) to make one based upon it for feedback in the new Topic*

Basically... it's based off of the FanFic Reviewer Forum in a way (only more active and helpful... hopefully) I think it gives structure as well as the flexability to help those dealing with the issues of wanting to start an RPG, but not sure whether anyone would be interested.

Well, I suppose the Idea topic could contain requests as well although to me that seems a little less structured. The Ideas topic, from what I understood, was for people who HAD ideas to check to see if they'd be good to do and use for themselves. Where as requesting genres were for people who didn't want to start an RPG but were offering their own advice as to what genres they'd like to see. Personally, I'd rather have the two topics divided so I don't have to waste my time spanning through one big topic to pull out what I want from what I don't.

If we do it right, that's not going to be a problem... sides... there's always the "Search" option ^^U We need structure before we can have [i]flow as DL so eliquently put it... Without some structure, then... well we all go off in a random direction.

classy_cat18
6th September 2008, 11:26 AM
It'll go quicker than the FFRO, as the idea viewer won't have to carefully analyze and write a full critique. Actually, it doesn't sound bad now that I've looked carefully at it. Maybe we could have more than one person working with the idea person.

...Sorry, but I just wanted to input a little comment.

Mew Master
6th September 2008, 11:33 AM
It'll go quicker than the FFRO, as the idea viewer won't have to carefully analyze and write a full critique. Actually, it doesn't sound bad now that I've looked carefully at it. Maybe we could have more than one person working with the idea person.

...Sorry, but I just wanted to input a little comment.

By all means... it's just a rough draft...

firepokemon
6th September 2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.serebiiforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/forumdisplay.php?f=286

http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18

http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=116&sid=f9775e2ee8b1f5165151373bccf7c82e

http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

These are the roleplaying forums for the top five pokemon message boards on the internet.

Remove the pokemon roleplays and I think you'll agree with me that they are just as inactive as here and not only that these forums still get new people something we just don't get here. So perhaps have some perspective.

Mew Master
6th September 2008, 12:51 PM
Okay… I’ve taken a look at the Current Idea Topic, and with the help of a Biologist/Paleontologist’s friend Statistics we can see just HOW much the RPG Idea Topic needs an overhaul.

As of last night the Topic was started on 4-9-06 and has been going to 9-05-08. It is 4 pages long with a total of 128 individual posts (using standard Forum settings). For an understanding of how it’s slipped into decline and … not really THAT helpful… I’ll break it down page by page.

SPAM: While it stands for Stupid and Pointless Messages, and hardly anything in the Topic is Stupid and Pointless, I’m using this to categorize the conversations that could easily be converted over to PMs, IMs, or start a new topic for fleshing out the ideas once support has been gathered. I mean no insult in categorizing it as SPAM.

Page 1:

Started: 4-9-06
Ended 6-11-06
Total RPGs Proposed: 16
Responses: 22
Useless SPAM within: 6

Now, at first glance that seems to be pretty good, and yes it is pretty active to start, as with a lot of topics. However, to show how “useful” it is, we need to break it down into who posted an idea, who gave feedback, and how many times they gave feedback (positive or negative) on the ideas.

RPGS PROPOSED: Who submitted an RPG idea for feedback.

Ghost: 1
Inferno_Dragon: 1
RaZoR LeAf: 2
Fireguardian: 1
pokemon4eva: 3
classy_cat18: 1
Mystic_Clown: 1
Gladiator: 1
Bear: 1
Kalad1: 1
OutlawJT: 1
Hyperness is a Good Thing: 1

RESPONSES: How many comments they received for their idea.

Ghost: 0
Inferno_Dragon: 0
RaZoR LeAf: 6
Fireguardian: 2
pokemon4eva: 5
classy_cat18: 1
Mystic_Clown: 5
Gladiator: 0
Bear: 1
OutlawJT: 1
Hyperness is a Good Thing: 0

Now, in Hyperness’s defense, they were the last poster on my page setting for the boards, which is 40 posts per page.

FEEDBACK:: Who responded to the ideas with comments, feedback, and support.

Fireguardian: Commented on RaZoR LeAf
Ultimate Charizard: Commented on RaZoR LeAf, Mystic_Clown
Plante: Commented on fireguardian
Drusilla: Commented onfireguardian, RaZoR LeAf (2), pokemon4eva, Mystic Clown
Kalad1: Commented on pokemon4eva
Bulbasaur4: Commented on RaZoR LeAf, pokemon4eva
pokemon4eva: Commented on classy_cat18, Bear, kalad1
Deathborn: Comment to Mystic Clown (2), OutlawJT
Ghost: Comment on RaZoR LeAf

From the current data, it looks like RL came up with a few good ideas that got peoples attention. However, feedback on an RPG and how to quantify “useful” feedback is difficult. For a better understanding of the conversations going on, I’d suggest reading through the Topic itself.

Page 2:

Started: 6-13-06
Ended 9-28-06
Total RPGs Proposed: 16
Responses: 13
Useless SPAM within: 14

Good, good. Still going strong.

Pokemon4eva: 4
Toxicity: 1
Kalad1: 3
Arnen: 1
Kevvaelli: 1
Roy Karrde: 3
Crystal_Tears: 1
Inferno_Dragon: 1

Pokemon4eva: 3
Toxicity: 0
Kalad1: 2
Arnen: 3
Kevvaelli: 1
Roy Karrde: 1
Crystal_Tears: 1
Inferno_Dragon: 0

Ghost: Commented on HiGT (1), Mystic_Clown (1), OutlawJT (1), pokemon4eva (1)
Pokemon4eva: Commented on Kalad1 (1)
Smeargal: Commented on Arnen (1), Kevvaelli (1)
Fireguradian: Commented on Kalad1 (1), Mystic_Clown (1), Roy Karrde (1)
The_Missing_Link: Commented on Arnen (1)
Mystic_Clown: Commented on Arnen (1), pokemon4eva (1)
Kevvaelli: Commented on pokemon4eva (1)
Samchu: Commented on Crystal_Tears (1)

Page 3:

Started: 10-5-06
Ended 8-6-08
Total RPGs Proposed: 23
Responses: 13
Useless SPAM within: 6

Okay… this is where we start slipping downhill. Halfway through the page we have the proposal of nearly two dozen RPGS and only one dozen comments or responses to those ideas. That doesn’t add up, and someone wasn’t getting a reply to their ideas. And that’s unacceptable. There’s also the long break of nearly two years for this whole page. I know we get busy… but two years?!

Master Rudy: 2
Shadow Djinn: 1
Dark-San: 1
Pokemon4eva: 2
Fireguardian: 1
Perfect Chaos: 1
Roy Karrde: 4
Mew Master: 6
Houndoom_lover: 1
Drusilla: 1

Master Rudy: 2
Shadow Djinn: 1
Dark-San: 1
Pokemon4eva: 1
Fireguardian: 2
Perfect Chaos: 0
Roy Karrde: 2
Mystic_Clown: 0
Mew Master: 4
Kalad1: 0
Houndoom_lover: 0
Drusilla: 0

Asilynne: Commented on Master Rudy (2), Roy Karrde (1)
Crystal_Tears: Commented on Shadow Djinn (1)
Shadow Djinn: Commented on Dark-San (1)
Roy Karrde: Commented on pokemon4eva (1)
EngiMatikul: Commented on fireguardian (1)
Mystic_Clown: Commented on fireguardian (1), Roy Karrde (1), Mew Master (1)
Shizo: Commented on Mew Master (1)
Houndoom_lover: Commented on Mew Master (2)

Page 4:

Started: 8-7-08
Ended 9-5-08
Total RPGs Proposed: 3
Responses: 4
Useless SPAM within: 2

Heald: 1
Mew Master: 1
Classy_cat18: 1

Heald: 2
Mew Master: 1
Classy_cat18: 1

MToolen: Commented on Heald (1), Mew Master (1), classy_cat18 (1)
Mew Master: Commented on Heald (1)

Now, of course page four is only 8 posts long, so it’s a bit of a stretch to apply this to the decline in RPG Forum participation, but I’m examining the whole of the RPG Idea topic and how “useful” it is in its current form. So. Those are the over-all statistics for the current pages and posts. When we add them up, let’s see if the support out-weighs the SPAM and RPG ideas.

Total Ideas Proposed: 59
Total Responses Posted: 52
SPAM: 28

As we can see, only 52 RPG Ideas have gotten ANY kind of response. However, when one looks at the data collected, it can be seen that there is a bias among the data towards certain ideas that grab member’s attention, while others get little to no feedback after a certain point after they post. This is an INEFFECTIVE system, and should show that we need to over-haul the whole thing in order to make it workable and positive. The data is also misleading as a single person may have suggested 4 RPGs and get 4 Responses, but looking at it closer shows, often, 3 responses of support for 1 idea, and the others tend to get ignored.

Just the scientist in me trying to make a point. ^^U

classy_cat18
6th September 2008, 01:27 PM
Having a set of reviewers could be a good thing, especially considering that no one is a fan of everything. I know that now after going through some of the RPG ideas again.

Also...maybe revamping the RPG ideas thread might get me to pay more attention.

Blademaster
6th September 2008, 04:16 PM
Looking back at the last 100 Days.

ASBRPG, RPG TCG, Pokemon School, World of Heroes, Anime Wars, Gunslinger Pokemon, One Breath from Immortality.

Hmm. I stand corrected.

I know you do not like me Blademaster, but lets keep from spreading outright lies around here okay?

I don't dislike you. I think other people would be better Mods of RPG than you. There's a pretty big, obvious difference.

Bulbasaur4
6th September 2008, 09:51 PM
Alright, Blade, Roy, if you have any qualms further or "discussion" further then please keep it to PM. I'm putting out this fire before it starts... er... gets bigger.

As for the Idea topic, personally making two individual topics for requests and for ideas IS being structured. I fail to see how it isn't.

Also, while I don't mind having a list of RPers who would respond back to ideas and a timeline... I just feel that if you don't have at least one set person who WOULD respond, then eventually it'll fall to being not responded to. Plus a timeline is a little, pointless- if not everyone has to respond and they're busy and the timeline isup in say, five days, then they most likely would shrug it off and not bother to post at all.

I'm still leaning a bit towards my idea, it guarenteeing one person would respond (and you can pick which person you'd like to respond) while also allowing anyone else to provide feedback as well (for brownie points!). We could say that if that person would like more feedback after the first person, they could request from another from the "list" and what-not.

Revamping the Ideas topic is good... no matter how we do it. I just want to note, that this may or may not increase activity slightly. The problem doesn't seem to be the ideas as much as it is getting past, as most of have said, the first initial start of an RPG.

Oh and Dark, I've already decided to start an RPG just as you have mentioned. I see it a lot in other RPG forums. :3

Roy Karrde
6th September 2008, 09:57 PM
Alright, Blade, Roy, if you have any qualms further or "discussion" further then please keep it to PM. I'm putting out this fire before it starts... er... gets bigger.

Bah Kalah! I already told you over AIM I wasnt going to respond to it ^_^ I didnt want to have any more arguments in the RPG Forum. Blade is entitled to his opinion and thats fine, I dont have a problem with that.

Anyway firePokemon does bring up a point in that RPGs are a dying breed in many boards, just not here. I would love to bring out some old hits here, I know some people have fond memories of those old RPGs and would never want to have that memory tarnished. But we had alot of old goodies that could be used again such as Mewtations or Eeveeolutions. Of course Mewtations would only be useable if Vulpix made it, she was the heart and soul of that RPG.

Edit: Although I would fear that Vulpix led Mewtations now days would lead to a Man Pile! * shudders and curls up into a ball *

Mew Master
6th September 2008, 09:58 PM
It's also up for the Forum to decide as a whole, and it is a bit more structured and flowing than the current system of "post an idea, hope it gets feedback." I say we let everyone else put in their two cents worth and imput before we finally decide on something.

And on activity levels...

I have noticed a disturbing trend in TPM levels over the last few years. And no, re-vamping the IDea Topic isn't a cure all. It's a symptom, not the source. However my views on WHY activity levels are constantly dropping over time is for another topic, not this one.

Weasel Overlord
7th September 2008, 11:26 AM
*pops in* Hello all. Yes, I've been absent off the face of the earth for most of the summer. This is because working 9-6 shifts 5 days a week is very tiring, I have impending dissertation work and have hardly been at home to use my internet between going to see friends on the other side of the country and having to be a bridesmaid for my mum's cousin. However, every time I COULD get access, the first place I came was RPG, so I'd prefer it if I wasn't dismissed as doing nothing. There simply wasn't anything to do for the ten minutes or so whenever I came online.

Now that's out of the way;

I like the thought of revamping the Ideas Topic, but I'm not sure how much interest that'll generate in the board overall. It WILL, however, be more of an incentive for people to get their ideas out there. I also like the idea of being able to choose someone from a list of people to go over your idea. Say, if you've decided to do a sci-fi RPG, and someone on the list has that as one of their specialities, then you can request their help as someone who's used to the genre, or whatever.

If people find clichéd RPGs to be a problem, the solution is simple. Make your own, non-cliché RPGs. Bam! (And cliché though they are, I have SUCH a hankering to do a Pokemon school type RPG it's untrue. Here's where I'm cursing my lack of time all damn Summer!)

As for the Newsletter, it's a great idea. I know we've started it up again in the past and it's sort of petered out, but there's no reason why it should have. I'm gonna steal an idea from Fanfic here and suggest that each month, a different mod does the Newsletter. That way, all the pressure's not on one person, who may be busy at the time when it needs to be written, etc. We should rotate, but be flexible. That way, if whoever's turn it is happens to be busy or unable to do the Newsletter, one of the other mods could just take over for that month.
Emphasis should be on member participation, however. A few articles from the mods on whatever topics come to mind, or are relevant for that time, but the rest things sent in by RPers. Rants? Sure! Why not? A complicated article on the exact way to role-play certain types of characters? Sounds awesome!

For the moment, I have to go. But no doubt I'll be back at some point, time permitting.

ps: Vulpix won't come back to do Mewtations. So sorry, Roy.

Mew Master
7th September 2008, 11:29 AM
Just because I haven't seen you online for a few months... *waves* HI Weasie!

Roy Karrde
7th September 2008, 11:39 AM
ps: Vulpix won't come back to do Mewtations. So sorry, Roy.

I just died a little inside... My God that was a awesome RPG, its sad that of all the original Mewtations I am the only one left * Sniffles and walks off *

ChobiChibi
7th September 2008, 03:16 PM
I had a thought that instead of keeping RPG ideas into one topic, couldn't you simply have seperate topics for each person's ideas? I mean, sure, keeping it all in one topic would be tidier, but spreading it out means that ideas that may have been overlooked have a slight chance of getting more comments. Plus, that way it doesn't get moved to the back of someone's mind once another person has posted their idea, regardless whether it's a more popular/interesting idea or not.

*hopes that made sense*

In general, I've sort of had a lack of motivation... I know it's no excuse, but I think I formed some kind of little group in my head members that I had got to know and therefore felt comfortable RPing with them. The only person I actually regularly talk to (pretty much every day) would be Tony. I think there needs to be some more imformalities, such as a random RPG chatroom on AIM, that doesn't nessisarily focus on the RPGs, just so we can get to know the other players better :3

I realise that would be quite hard, especially for those of us not living in America... But I think it might help! (I added Ryan on AIM a full month before I actually had the courage to talk to him! That is how pathetic I am when it comes to talking to new people XD)

Just a few suggestions...

Oh, and I have no real excuse for being inactive... I have had free time over the summer between work and socialness... I hope I find an RPG to stick to soon, or perhaps to come up with my own :3

classy_cat18
7th September 2008, 03:47 PM
As for the Newsletter, it's a great idea. I know we've started it up again in the past and it's sort of petered out, but there's no reason why it should have. I'm gonna steal an idea from Fanfic here and suggest that each month, a different mod does the Newsletter. That way, all the pressure's not on one person, who may be busy at the time when it needs to be written, etc. We should rotate, but be flexible. That way, if whoever's turn it is happens to be busy or unable to do the Newsletter, one of the other mods could just take over for that month.
Emphasis should be on member participation, however. A few articles from the mods on whatever topics come to mind, or are relevant for that time, but the rest things sent in by RPers. Rants? Sure! Why not? A complicated article on the exact way to role-play certain types of characters? Sounds awesome!

Isn't that how the Fanfic E-Zine's like? The mods don't have to do much outside of the articles they choose to do. Everyone sends articles to the mod that puts it together and sends it in.

Which brings me to a suggestion stolen from Fanfic that should probably be in the Invitation thread. Every month someone interviews a RPG member.

(And cliché though they are, I have SUCH a hankering to do a Pokemon school type RPG it's untrue. Here's where I'm cursing my lack of time all damn Summer!)

I think it's been tried a few times. But I'll store it in my Ideas to Try list.

I had a thought that instead of keeping RPG ideas into one topic, couldn't you simply have seperate topics for each person's ideas? I mean, sure, keeping it all in one topic would be tidier, but spreading it out means that ideas that may have been overlooked have a slight chance of getting more comments. Plus, that way it doesn't get moved to the back of someone's mind once another person has posted their idea, regardless whether it's a more popular/interesting idea or not.

But if little to no people have interest in the idea then it still just lies there. Maybe have the basic ideas in one thread and then make a separate thread once the member has developed that idea.

Mew Master
7th September 2008, 03:49 PM
Actually, Heald and were talking about such a thing, and I'd like to impliment an RPG of the month, and a Member of the month including an interview...

Dunna worry.. we're thinkin' bout stuff.. ^^U

classy_cat18
8th September 2008, 12:21 AM
*pops in* Hello all. Yes, I've been absent off the face of the earth for most of the summer. This is because working 9-6 shifts 5 days a week is very tiring, I have impending dissertation work and have hardly been at home to use my internet between going to see friends on the other side of the country and having to be a bridesmaid for my mum's cousin. However, every time I COULD get access, the first place I came was RPG, so I'd prefer it if I wasn't dismissed as doing nothing. There simply wasn't anything to do for the ten minutes or so whenever I came online.

Ha! I was right! Ten points for Shonta!

Fai D. Flowright
8th September 2008, 05:16 AM
Well, I guess it's my turn... I've made a list of what I feel are all the topics that have been brought up in this conference, whether minor or major:

General topics brought up:
*Motivation/Commitment/Initiative
Forum Size
*RPG Idea Thread
Player Etiquette
*RPG Newsletter
Member Ratings
*Forum Direction
Art
RPG Post Length
*Genre/Cliches
*RP Methods/Styles
Sign-Up Topics
*Efficient vs. Effective
Old Classics
AIM Chatroom

RPG Idea topics:
Direction/Structure
Feedback
Reviewer Feedback List
Genre Requests

RPG Newsletter topics:
Member Articles
Newsletter Honors/Highlights

Things I asterisked in the first list are things that were decently discussed by ther earlier and ones I plan to give some attention to myself, but I plan to touch on each topic here at least a tiny bit.

First off, I'm going to bluntly state that, while I like to think of myself as being generally optimistic, I'm going to take a rather pessimistic POV as I talk. Just a forewarning...

Now, let's start with THE top issue that this forum faces: Motivation and Initiative problems. I will openly admit, right from the start, that I quite often lack this myself. But it's not just me. I know people out there have reasons to be away from the forum... We're all busy. We each have lives and problems to live through... More times than not, though, people just don't post because they have no urge to and no reason to devote any commitment to the game. I've caught a large number of the current RPers on messenger handles, meaning they have free time, but RPGs are usually the last thing on their mind for whatever reason. This is the largest hump for this forum to overcome should it ever hope to prosper even a bit more again. But this is something that, for the most part, can only be overcome individually.

Of course, the forum size plays into this a bit. Low numbers means fewer RPGs, people getting sick of RPing with the same unmotivated/uncommitted people. There's not much we can do to fix this, but it does cause a problem when the same person or people are constantly hounding over you. (Again, something I can be known for when frustrated with activity).

As for the RPG Idea thread... I absolutely agree that it needs a total makeover. I, myself, haven't actually looked at it in over a year because the last few RPGs to come out of weren't interesting enough to me. Admittedly, a lame excuse, but it's true. Truely, I think giving the Idea Topic another purpose will attract more people to it: Genre Requesting and Reviewer Feedback. Variety and responsibility are helpful tools for inviting more peple in.

This brings up a constant problem with any community, such as this, where people interact in a fluid environment: the conflict of Efficient versus Effective. A working system must have a balance between the two. Currently, I don't think we have either. Some things are efficient but not effective, and others are just the opposite, requiring large-scale reformation to solve the problem. Honestly, we're at a point of crashing anyway; we may as well accept the inevitable, let it crash, and rebuild from the ashes in a much more structured, stronger civilization that can expand (one major reason why I would prefer to avoid bringing back 'old favorites.' It's merely an attempt to sidestep the inevitable).

Once process brought up that pertains to the E v. E problem is the Sign-Up thread. In normal styles for this board (in reference to DLs comments), the sign-up topic is a sort of bridge between the introduction of the RPG and the actually start. Even in a case where people introduce and start an RPG in a single topic, sign-ups are still standard to introduce yourself into the story. The only difference between that style and the Sign-up thread style is that all the initial RPers are introduced prior to the start in a separate topic. While not extremely efficient, it IS effective, while introduction and beginning at the same time is efficient, but nowhere near as effective.

Back to the RPG Idea Topic, getting direction and structure here is necessary to help it work again. Feedback can be attained for those that are introducing some ideas with the idea of a Reviewer Feedback list. As Kalah said, this guarantees that if you post an RPG idea, you will get at least ONE response to it. Having a list of volunteer reviewers gives that opportunity, along possibly bringing more attention by other people, espeically in rebuttle to a review. At this point, if the idea needs more expansion and has a group willing to provide assistance and further critiquing, a separate topic can be created in the lounge to do so, as mentioned by Becki and Shonta.

In association with this, much to Kalah's dismay, I agree that a Genre Request section would be best added in here rather than in a separate topic. It is an RPG IDEA topic, meaning its not just restricted to ideas people have already developed, but to give creators an idea of what others want. But I do have a suggestion in order to keep these separate, in a sense: post linking. In the first post, have a list with links to the most current RPG Ideas (maybe the 4 or 5 most recent), as well as a link to the most current RPG Genre requests (again, the top 3 or 4). There could also be a list of RPG Ideas that need attending to by reviewers, which will not only keep them up to date on what needs attention, but will also draw the attention of other readers as to which RPGs are the most recent.

Next is the RPG Newsletter. Going to the main RPG page shows that there's already some initiative taking place with this. That's wonderful! I'm glad to see some members trying to become active. I agree wholeheartedly that member and mod articles would be greatly helpful in boosting the morale of the forums. Discussions on what's popular, favorites, RPing styles and workshops, gripes and groans... Just about anything that others would be interested in reading. Especially if the writers are including things such as honors and highlights about other RPers and their RPGs (Member of the Month, RPG Highlights, etc). Not exactly a field that interests me, but it's worth bringing back for those that enjoy community information sources like this.

As a few final notes before I work into the actual RPGs themselves, I'd like to say that I'm glad the Member Rating topic is gone. As Heald said, while the idea was great, and I was rather for it and excited, it was never really implicated and, even if it had, wouldn't have affected much of anything. I'm also all for artwork made for RPGs. I often sketch up things for my RPGs and stories to help illustrate things better. Maps, group pics, fanart, music association... All of it is great advertisement and development for the RPG experience as a whole. As for the AIM chat sort of thing. This would be quite possible. I think more than 3/4 of the people who have posted in this topic already have AIM or availability to it, especially with sites like Meebo out now (which don't require someone to DL a messenger program in order to use their handle). I know there used to be one for the whole forum (ummmm or something like that), but we can always make one specifically for the RPG forum. All it takes is a chatroom name...

Next, I wanna work into the actual RPGs themselves. One of the big suggestions earlier was changing style in which we RP. While I prefer the progressive-story style we typically use now, I have no problem if people want to experiment with different methods and styles of their own. In fact, I would encourage people to, but I wouldn't say that it needs to be a forum-wide rule. I'm sure there are others like me who like and prefer our current style, so I'd still like that style to be available, but it doesn't mean others should hold back.

Another style issue that was a short center for discussion was post length. Admittedly, there are people like me who actually LIKE writing and reading posts that are 2 or 3, maybe 4 pages long in Word, as long as it goes somewhere (something I try to do with mine. Acceptable detail and exploration while still developing and pushing forward). As other have said, short posts tend to be a little lacking and can even force the RPG to move faster than desired, but there are times when shorter posts are understandable. Points when progression is necessary to move past a certain point where details aren't desired, but in my opinion, anything shorter than 2/3 of a Word page is too short. Not enough detail can be established and conveyed without at least 3 or 4 decent paragraphs. On average, a single post shouldn't be able to be read in any less than 2 minutes, but no more than 8 or 10... Moderation is key.

As for desired genres, people should feel more than welcome to start their own RPGs in the genres they are attracted to. I like the more magical/fantasy style RPGs myself, with sporatic battles scenes myself, but if that's not right for you, or I'm feeling different, you should be more than open to starting something which you feel attracted to at the time. Unfortunately, along with this are going to be cliches, much to your apparent hatred of them, Blade. Stereotypes and cliches are just that for a reason, because they set the standard for a genre. And honestly, in this day and age, originality has gone from "something completely new and never seen before" to "using old ideas in a novel way." You can't get away from cliches, but you can help avoid them. But sometimes, cliches are just what people want. As others have said, cliches are cliche because they are popular; a large amount of people can relate to it in one way or another. In general, its just something we all have to deal with, anywhere we go. The best thing I can tell you is to try making or looking for RPGs that are less stereotypical than others through themes used in different and novel ways.

As a final discussion point, I'd like to bring up MM's comment on RPer Etiquette. While I agree with others that the player-to-player interaction are rather positive and most people have respect for other's characters and style of gaming, I would like to point out that "Storyteller Pressure" is a rather large issue among RPers here; a couple in particular, myself included. But I think there's a bit of a reason for it, at least in my own case. With the decline of activity in the forum, RPGs are starting to focus more on smaller casts of people, and the person heading that group as the GM/ST/etc has a tendancy to drive their own character as the 'lead' character, with the other RPers acting as the major supporting characters. When activity was at its peak, there were so many people in a single RPG that it was near-impossible to make any single character a main one; everyone had their part and major plot arcs moved between them. Now, RPGs are more becoming personal fictions stories (or fanfics if it's based on something) that's slightly expanded to show the thoughts and experiences of some of the 'minor' characters along with the creators 'main' character. This makes people feel more left out, leaving the RPG. This, in turn, leads to the prodding "Hey, you! POST ALREADY!" messages and conversation, which eventually leads to the RPGs death. Unfortunately, this is one of the hardest problems to overcome because it not only deals with the forum's current size, but also with the RPers themselves.

Ok... *gasps for air* I've talked about a LOT of stuff here... Some you may agree with, others you may argue are completely wrong. Most of these I assume are rather blunt facts that some would prefer to deny (or it may not apply to you), while in other cases I'm probably completely wrong (though, I hope to think I know at least some of you well enough by now), but I think the next course of action in this discussion is to talk about this forum's future, not it's past. I'm more than willing to act as a secretary if people want to start brainstorming some general direction for this community to head towards. If we can get a plan that we can follow through with, we may just be able to restart what we have here.

[P.S. - It IS late night/early morning as I write/post this, so there's probably a number of spell/grammar errors throughout... I'll proofread it and edit anything horribly bad once I've gotten sleep! v.v;]

Bulbasaur4
8th September 2008, 05:45 AM
Nice points, I really don't have comments as of right now... due to the fact that there isn't much for me to say and I'm a little talked out for the moment.

However, I would like to point out (to those who have not noticed) that I have started the RPG News idea list and it WILL be run almost just as the E-zine now is. It will be run as it has in the past as well, since that worked very well and I very much agree with Weasel: the Newspaper will be run by a different moderator each month. I have taken the iniative to do it first, so hopefully Weas and Roy don't mind.

Anywho, I will wait a little while longer but I also would like to start the recruiting process for the Idea Topic soon. When you guys feel I should go ahead, let me know and I will march off!

Blademaster
8th September 2008, 06:20 AM
There is NO way I'm reading all of that, Fai. Someone translate plz. I'll mail you a cookie if you do.

And not to sound like an ass, but considering the nature of your post, Weas, I feel it was addressed to me, and as such, I'm going to reply. Bluntly.

Your preference not to be 'dismissed' isn't up for consideration. 'Checking' RPG for ten minutes is something a regular member (like myself) does. Mods have more responsibility than that, and it doesn't just come in the form of enforcing rules. Examples:

In ASB, the Mods check, approve, and update the Towers consistently. They set up contests and gyms for variety. There are businesses to draw some extra attention (Even though they really don't anymore.).

In Fanfic, the Mods provide critique, write stories of their own, and show up quite often to settle minor squabbles that arise now and again in fics. They have biannual awards, a trivia game, and an e-zine.

Which brings me to the ultimate jack-ass part of this post: What do the RPG Mods do?

More days than not, nothing at all. And when they do show up, it's usually to post in a short-lived RPG. Only rarely does a new RPG CREATED by a Mod appear. Even less frequently do the Mods make a non-RPG topic that is relevant and/or successful. And even less frequently than THAT do the Mods make attempts to stimulate activity. RPG's are never given a push by the Mods. Ideas are often disbanded or discontinued for months at a time (like the RPG Awards), or permanently (RPG XMas Tree, anyone?). New ideas for RPG's, both in plot and setting, are needles in the proverbial haystack.

I know I'm retreading old ground here, but it's gotta be said: If RPG is to make a comeback, it has to change. And that is simply something the current Mods refuse to do, can't do, and/or don't know HOW to do. This topic alone is proof of that: Not a single idea has come from a Mod. Only agreements with ideas from the regular members like Denny, myself, and PLuver.

THAT is why statements like Weas's disapproval of being dismissed or Kalah's complaint that the Mods are blamed for everything and should be cut some slack make me shake my head. I know this post isn't gonna make you guys any happier, but I also know that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I've spoken with others about the state of this place, and most of us are thinking the same basic thing by now:

If the current staff isn't gonna make an effort, or just can't, then pass the damn baton already and let US take a stab at fixing this place. Because, as this topic is demonstrating, we're kinda doing that already.

firepokemon
8th September 2008, 06:27 AM
Wow you can type up a lot Fai. ^)^

Hmm not much to say but I'm gonna be active in the rpgs I'm currently in and have new posts in the ones I'm in within this week.

Whatever happened to the progression of the Dungeon and dragon thing?

Also there should be some type of RPG where one can come in at any time and participate and be signed up without having to invest in a lot of characters or making of monsters or anything. I'm guessing something more akin to a game as it were but something more in the RPG kind of way. I guess what I am saying is there needs to be some type of continuous RPG that doesn't require a lot of investment. But clearly can still be fun.

Mew Master
8th September 2008, 09:25 AM
Fai D: I could hug you... Well spoken and pointed out with considerations and what-not. *applauds* However I have seen instances of Player Etiquette going down the crapper on the Boards in some RPGs. I think it's still a valid consideration...

Blademaster: Seriously... "Learn2Patience" dude [/jk] Either way...

I'll have to agree with Blade on a few points. However I have seen RPGs created by Mods, and some of them were fun to play in until player apathy and lethargy set in. Looking at Page 1, I see about 6 RPGs started (Sign-ups and Main Topic included) by the Moderators themselves, as opposed to the rest on the first page that are Member created.

If we do decide to try and save the Boards before it all burns to the ground (which I'm leaning towards Blade's suggestion of letting it crash, burn, then rebuild), we need to act NOW. We can't be sitting here twiddling our thumbs, and giving into petty squabbles. We need structure, we do. If you say we have it then you're lying to yourselves.

The RPG Newsletter is starting back up, and frankly I'm glad that it is. Heald and I suggested to have it back, and quite frankly, would have been willing to be in charge of the whole thing from the start. With select members from TPM who wanted to help on articles, but didn't know what to write about. Giving them ideas and topics they should write about, when they knew nothing else to write about.

The RPG Idea topic needs a staff of it's own as well. Because the general agreement, as I've gathered, is that it NEEDS to be torn apart and re-worked because it's ineffective and nothing gets done. Players are left to their own devices which may lead to RPGs that never get started or die quick, painful, deaths.

I would LOVE to see an RPG Art Topic, as I've done a lot of Art for RPGs I've participated in (old and new, Forum and Table Top) and would love to see as a separate from the Fan Art Forum. This isn't Fan art.. this is RPG ART! XD

I volunteer my time and energy (what I can spare) towards the three above things, because... well... they need the help/ideas/drive to get set up, with rules, but leaving it free-flowing enough to keep them in production for a while. I have some ideas for the RPG Art Topic... however I shall save those for the right time.

So if we hit the ground running... I wanna hit the finish-line without triping over ourselves because we forgot to tie our shoes. :/

Weasel Overlord
8th September 2008, 09:32 AM
*points* We made an Art topic ages ago, MM. See (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12952).

Mew Master
8th September 2008, 09:33 AM
*points* We made an Art topic ages ago, MM. See (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12952).

My mind.... You have betrayed me YET ONCE AGAIN! *forgets everything without a giant chalkboard to remind him of stuff...*

EDIT: BUT! Check the dates. Nothing's been added since Blademaster in 07.... Now.. I Draw... I just don't draw for THIS Forum's characters and what-not... BUt you guys can't tell me you haven't drawn any characters over the last year or so?

EDIT EDIT: ALSO! *just notices this after the fact* What about comments and suggestions for artists... the Art Topic needs that too...

Roy Karrde
8th September 2008, 10:09 AM
Blade, seriously, this is supposed to be a topic talking about ideas that can HELP the RPG Forum, not trying to divide it again. Weasel and I may have our disagreements but she has done alot for this forum, and even being away for a little while isn't as bad as previous mods we have had in this forum and others. Getting a massive mod change isn't going to happen, it's hard enough already getting a new mod for Misc when a mod there hasn't posted since last year. And dismissing another mod's acheviements is really not going to get any of us anywhere.

So please, please lets stay on topic. When I get back from class in 4 hours, I'll propose some ideas of my own that could possibly help the forum. One of which I will throw out now. No matter what we do, we need more members to come in. You want to help the forum, you want to get more things active around here. Make a signature for TPM, put it in your signature for other forums. Talk to your friends and try to get them to come, talk to old TPM members and try to get them to come back. Seriously you can have all the ideas in the world, but that doesn't change the fact that we need more people to help make this place active again.

Blademaster
8th September 2008, 10:11 AM
Also there should be some type of RPG where one can come in at any time and participate and be signed up without having to invest in a lot of characters or making of monsters or anything. I'm guessing something more akin to a game as it were but something more in the RPG kind of way. I guess what I am saying is there needs to be some type of continuous RPG that doesn't require a lot of investment. But clearly can still be fun.

I'm brewing up ideas for something like that. I dunno what happened to Ben's TPM D&D idea, but I've been toying with a turn-based RPG idea constructed similarly to older Final Fantasy games (since, y'know, the new ones are overcomplicated fanservice bullshit).

I'm gonna discuss it privately with Denny and a few others and see how it's received. It's not much more than a random sequence of ideas, but like the Asimovian ghost in the machine, that random sequence could just (but probably won't [but still might]) become something a lot more complex and advanced than a good number of RPG's we've seen.

Also, this isn't a problem with RPG, but rather just something that I'm curious about... Why is this place (and for that matter every other place on the Web like it) called 'RPG?' These things seem more like multi-author stories than games, if you ask me... :confused:

Blademaster
8th September 2008, 10:34 AM
Fucking double-post. Just saw Roy's post.

Blade, seriously, this is supposed to be a topic talking about ideas that can HELP the RPG Forum, not trying to divide it again.

In case you missed it in my last post, the forum is ALREADY divided: Right now, the RPG Mods are in full control of the forum. That's normal, yeah. But what ISN'T normal is that a good chunk of said forum is UNHAPPY with the way that you guys are running this sideshow. That's not something that I've SEEN on TPM's other sub-forums. There's obviously a problem here that isn't being rectified.

Getting a massive mod change isn't going to happen, it's hard enough already getting a new mod for Misc when a mod there hasn't posted since last year.

Bollocks.

You need a new Misc. Mod? Pick someone that hangs around there a lot, posts a lot, and can keep people in line. You, me, mr_pikachu, Heald, firepokemon, and Magmar all come to mind. Within TEN SECONDS. 'Hard enough already' my ass.

Also, saying that getting a massive mod change 'isn't going to happen' is going to do nothing to better the situation when that change is the ROOT of at least FIVE different members' complaints.

Roy Karrde
8th September 2008, 10:37 AM
I'm not going to argue with you Blade, it isn't going to help this situation.

You need a new Misc. Mod? Pick someone that hangs around there a lot, posts a lot, and can keep people in line. You, me, mr_pikachu, Heald, firepokemon, and Magmar all come to mind. Within TEN SECONDS. 'Hard enough already' my ass.

See I wasn't talking about trying to find some one competent, that was easy. The problem was getting the modding to take place. Normal Mods cannot select some one else to mod. Nor can Super Mods. Anyway I really do not want to get into this, it really is something that will only cause heated arguments and thats the last thing I want to see happen to this forum right now.

Bulbasaur4
8th September 2008, 10:49 AM
I resign.

Roy Karrde
8th September 2008, 11:08 AM
I resign.

No, your not. And this crap about the mod talk stops now. We're going to work on fixing this forum. Not throwing blame around. You guys wanna blame me? Thats fine. But Kalah and Weasel are the heart of this forum and I am getting sick and tired of them getting trashed. Any more flames in here, or cussing, and warnings start to go out. It keeps going and infractions get thrown out.

The hate being thrown around at Weasel and Kalah ends now.

classy_cat18
8th September 2008, 11:52 AM
Kalah is not resigning. We are not picking a new mod. We will fix this problem with the mods we have right now.

Dr.McNinja
8th September 2008, 12:29 PM
As far as I've ever noticed in any forum I've been in it's not the Mods job to throw happy awards and RPs while everyone down below gobbles them up like candy. It's their job to....moderate as it is. Make sure OOC topics are correctly restrained, make sure the forum rules are being followed.

What stops the members from boosting RPs with comments and observations or reviews? What stops the members from from making their OWN RP awards, I mean really who made it the moderator's jobs to judge the RPs in the first place? The ability to hand out awards and make topics and write in them is not some moderator privilage that we don't have access too. I mean I just don't get how having a new mod staff will let change happen....the mod powers aren't some magic wand that revives boards, all they can do is warn and ban and all that fun stuff really. If you want change to happen.....then make change happen, simple as that.

Instead of sitting around, asking why the moderators don't do something to revive the board, asking why they aren't coming up with ideas, asking why this or that isn't being done why don't we just stand up and do it ourselves? This isn't an the ASB where there are judges, this isn't the fanfic forum where you can do literary review. The RPG forum in its essence is one big game we all play and we just happen to have some people that make sure we all play nice for the most part.

And frankly, replacing moderators is going to do jack when the people who would replace them are part of the same inaction as before.

And PS: When the insults and cursing come out, results tend to call it a night and go home.

Lady Vulpix
8th September 2008, 12:48 PM
Blademaster, stop swearing and insulting. You may continue this discussion, but only if it doesn't turn into a flame war.

Samchu
8th September 2008, 01:10 PM
First of all, Kalah there is no way you are going to resign and I swear that if you do then I will go over there and drag you back.

Ok time to throw in my two cents or whatever. There's a lot of talk going on about how it's the mods' responsibility to do this that and whatever but to be honest that's a load bull. You don't have to be a mod to invite people or to start RPGs. To be honest, a good forum succeeds because of the people who are in it, not because of the people who have been placed in charge. Now I've seen that a few people have already realised this and are making an effort and I implore you all but I do think that one thing we need to focus on is ways of getting new people to join the forum. Let's be honest, we need some fresh blood here.

ChobiChibi
8th September 2008, 04:04 PM
'Checking' RPG for ten minutes is something a regular member (like myself) does. Mods have more responsibility than that, and it doesn't just come in the form of enforcing rules. Examples:

In ASB, the Mods check, approve, and update the Towers consistently. They set up contests and gyms for variety. There are businesses to draw some extra attention (Even though they really don't anymore.).

In Fanfic, the Mods provide critique, write stories of their own, and show up quite often to settle minor squabbles that arise now and again in fics. They have biannual awards, a trivia game, and an e-zine.

Which brings me to the ultimate jack-ass part of this post: What do the RPG Mods do?

More days than not, nothing at all.

To be honest, I think that the RPG mods generally don't have as much to do as others... I don't mean that in an offensive way, but merely that we don't get that much trouble and the majority of people that post in here understand the rules and are respectful towards eachother.

You can't compare the modding of ASB, Fanfic and RPG to eachother. In ASB, you NEED the mods to edit the towers, approve pokemon, etc, because otherwise the whole structure would fall apart. But that's not all done by the mods either. If they had to do the reffings for every single battle, it would come to a standstill.

Fanfic is also different in the way that the mods can post reviews on any fanfic they please, but if an RPG mod were to randomly post in something they weren't involved in just to say "I liked ___ bit", or point out that some character interaction wasn't quite right, you wouldn't appreciate it.

I think the mods in RPG are doing a good job, there's no need to replace them. How you can say that they're not trying is beyond me, as Kalah started this topic and the Newsletter!

Only agreements with ideas from the regular members like Denny, myself, and PLuver.
I'm flattered that you think i'm a regular member, although I can assure you this is the first time I've posted in atleast a month and a half :P
Unless you mean regular in the sense that i'm not a mod, but whatever *shrugs*

MToolen
8th September 2008, 04:51 PM
I like how Kalah isn't allowed to resign; I just think it's funny.

Personally, I think this topic has served a good purpose in getting tensions like this out into the open. Our worries, doubts, and fears about our dear RPG forum. Because we care about it and claim it as our own. I think everyone's trying to help out because of that bond; all the same, toes were bound to get stepped on in one way or another.

Maybe what we need to concentrate on are things we can control. Things we can't control would include fresh blood and people having lives. Things we can are the quality and variety of RPGs, RPG systems, characters, and posts we have. I've seen some really good arguments and suggestions and all of this talk of it has put renewed interest in this forum.

If we're going to help the forum, though, booting the mods we have now won't help. They are respected (at least from what I can tell) and it could create tense relations if they are readily booted. We could vote on or name an eventual successor or give more responsibilities to the lay-members of RPG. The thing with complete overhauls is that some things are lost in the process; therefore, I am in favor of change around here, but more gradually.

DarkestLight
8th September 2008, 05:28 PM
I'm following MToolen here. Don't kick out what IS a stable part of the Forum.

Blade, I'ma hafta fire back at you with one scenario. If you were to kick all these guys out, and then elect new Mods, where and how would change come? As Roy and others stated, kicking anyone out won't help because then you are just decreasing the number of people posting here. Right now, you folks can't have that.

This is why they should stay, and they have got be an ever helpful driving force in the revitalization of this place. I can tell from your posts you care alot about this place Blade, but don't be so hasty as to feel they need to be removed. At the most, people do need a break.

I'm not saying I totally disagree with you though, maybe this all does need to crash and burn right now-and rebuild with everyone contributing rather than you Mods make it all and we go yesum and noum.

*sigh* Frankly, I'm new blood, and I'm trying to see if I can bring new blood to this board-much more this place. Alot of places need it but RPG is one thing in which most people can relate to, the sharing and exploration of imagination.

..and as for ASB...yeah I gotta go ref a few more battles mydamnself....

Oh and LOLOMG@ Fai's post. Yeah I read it. Long. Just long. To translate for you Blade "FIX FORUM OR I EET UR FACE" is basically what it said. Plzcanhascookynow? o_o?

Drusilla
8th September 2008, 05:44 PM
Oy vey.

Kalah, I step in line with everyone else saying that you're not allowed to resign. I know where you live, I have a car, and I don't have a job.

I think that we need communication more than anything. You guys know that I'm on MSN more often than God (srsly), and if I need to be on a different messenger as well, all you have to do is ask. I'm ready to get this shit moving.

I have some ideas floating around in my head, so if anyone else has the same... let's collaborate!

BWAHAHAHA COLLABORATORSSSS!! :o

classy_cat18
8th September 2008, 05:57 PM
Oy vey.

Kalah, I step in line with everyone else saying that you're not allowed to resign. I know where you live, I have a car, and I don't have a job.

Love your enthusiasm but she's in China right now. And that country's pretty big.

I propose a civilized AIM chat to help get non-newsletter ideas shared!

Charles Legend
9th September 2008, 08:10 AM
first of all nice intro Kalah, second of all your a grate Mod and should not let others get you down, and you really should not resign because of them.. ^_^

~Charles Legend

Asilynne
9th September 2008, 03:11 PM
Omg...this whole second page is probably the main reason RPG forum is dying.
Yes, we are small, yes we are all older and have way busier lives. But when we have a scrap of free time and want to sit down and do something, ANYTHING to relax and unwind....do we seriously want to log on and read all this bullshit? No. When I want to relax I dont want to see:
Blade vs Roy the sequal
Argumnts about politics (US)
Arguments about politics (world)
Arguments about politics (RPG forum)
Kalah talking about resigning (we know your not going to so dont try to bluff it around to make people stop fighting, its really only going to whip them into a frenzy ^-~)
People whipping into a frenzy about a point that I cant even keep straight anymore
People trying to solve a problem but then not knowing exactly what the problem is and going off on a tangent!!!!

NO! I dont want to read about all that shit and you know why? Cause I work full time and go to college. Cause I have a million papers to do during the course of the semester and then I also have to fit in time for my family, my bf, my new lil nephew, excercise, and in the midst of this busy sceduale Im supposed to be able to sit down and write something creative? Dont get me wrong I really miss RPing, its how me and Rudy met. But Im kinda getting the idea Im not the only one in the RPG forum that has such a busy life. Look at it, back when I joined the median age of the forums was probably 16, what was your biggest problem back then? Whos going out with who, doing homework on time and probably most people had a lot of free time to blow on the net. Remember weekends?? Remember when we had 2 whole back to back days to ourselves?! I can barely remember when I had 1 day to myself let alone two!!!

So the point of my rant? We are older, we are busier, we are SUPPOSEDLY more mature and responsible and grown up. So why arent I seeing it?? Bickering like were back in HS and forming up into useless cliques when really arent we all roleplayers? Arent we all here to blow off some steam and lose ourselves in a fantasy world for an hour or two? Dont we all just want to forget about our RL for awhile and relax and have fun with a group of like minded individuals? OMFG YES! Thats what Im here for anyway, so if you feel like me youll have to step up and be a man (or woman), lose that childish tendancy to form sides and have an "us against them" mentality. We are largely a group of adults so lets start acting like it, if you have a problem dont resort to petty arguments, dont resort to painfully obvious attempts to shock people into doing what you want them to do. Just talk about it.

And now that Im all good and riled up Ive got to get to my dance class >.<

Roy Karrde
10th September 2008, 01:21 AM
Okay well I wanted to make sure I stayed out of the topic until I was sure my presence wouldnt derail the topic again. I hope that is possible, and I hope Kalah and Weasel will come back, and that all of us can continue with out picking and yelling at eachother.

Anyway one thing I noticed is that with the lack of posting in RPG ideas, we have had alot of potential RPG makers, either not make their topic at all, or post it and no one find it interesting. Now granted some of these RPGs can be stinkers, God knows I have posted my own set of them. But I get that it isn't just me who has this problem or had this fear that no one will join. Now there are some truely great RPG creators on here, Kalah herself should go make movies or video games or something.

But for those that are not "Kalah level" I would suggest that some people sign up for them. It would provide for more RPGs in this forum as people get their confidence up so that they are not embarased. And overall it would help unify the forum and provide more activity.

Bulbasaur4
10th September 2008, 01:58 AM
Oh geez, PLEASE let's not make me out to be a level of creativity. >.>;;; I'm not something to be revered when it comes to making RPGs and I have a crap load of horrible RPG ideas that never make it anywhere. *puts paper bag over head*

As for resigning, I was extremely serious about doing so and thought that perhaps that is what the majority of the forum wanted- not me to resign perhaps, but for some new blood and I wasn't about to let Roy or Weas take the fall. I've been around the longest and thus the oldest, thus if you wanted a revamp taking out the oldest should-eh, well that was how my train of thought was.

This topic for me, was to start nice discussions but I think I've started more of a "frenzy" as Asi put it, then anything. I am not resigning, because I've had the majority of the forum tell me via PM, AIM and such that they do not wish me to. If there comes a point in time when they do, I will more than happily step down so someone else can come to the plate swinging.

As for the forum, I have started the Newsletter along with a few new RPG ideas of my own. I was going to create the Idea topic sign-ups for the list of names, but if you'd like another member can simply put it in their own hands. Perhaps Mew Master? If that is alright with everyone else. Otherwise I will do it for myself.

I am putting this topic to a close fo rmyself, as I now have a better picture of where everyone's thoughts lie. (I am not closing the topic, merely meant to say that I no longer want/need to gather the picture.)

Mew Master
10th September 2008, 09:47 AM
*sigh* In all honesty, Asilynne did something similar to what I was soooo tempted to do.

Yell at some select individuals for being selfish, do a net slap, and then leave the topic and TPM. But we all know I’d be back the day after… because I have nothing better to do during GIS Lab hours…

And quite frankly I’ve kept myself from posting on the second page for those reasons. Because I saw myself trying to be civil, but then breaking down and making myself look arrogant and an ass (those of you who know me can say I’m both.. because hell… you KNOW me…) because others were pissing me off.

*sigh*

Now that it seems to have calmed down… a bit, there’s still some anger flying between individuals, and that’s not going to get resolved here, only made into a big flame war that no one’s going to win, but the topic shall lose.

Bulba4: Of all the mods who the members (at least “I”) DON’T want to see resign, you’re one of them. Sides… you’ve been here FOR EVAR! You’re living history to the previous activity on the board! On the topic of the RPG idea topic… I would be more than willing to help it get structured and help out with what I could… So long as I have a crack(ed) team of other members willing to help with it… *goes to start Group, and send out invites to those he thinks qualify for it*

Roy: Bubla4 isn’t the only one who creates really good and stunning RPGs. Granted she does put a lot of work into the ones she does put on the boards (I should know, I’ve joined a few because they sparked my interest for characters). And as I tried to point out earlier. The reason no one posts in RPG ideas anymore is because no one is getting NEARLY enough feedback and input from other members. However by now it’s a mute point, as we all know it (just no one really admitted to it until now *shrugs*)

The fact is, the Forum needs new blood, we can’t deny that… however the current Confrence has calmed down a bit.. so now I’m not tempted to start yelling at everyone ^^U

Roy Karrde
10th September 2008, 10:05 AM
Mew Master I was hoping that no one would take my comment about Kalah as nothing more than a joke. I know there are alot of people that make great RPGs ^^ I just picked out Kalah. I didn't mean any disrespect and I hope that this clears up any confusion. I really didn't have enough time to name everyone, and besides I knew Kalah wouldn't like me singling her out and heaping praise onto her.

Asilynne
10th September 2008, 02:14 PM
*sigh* In all honesty, Asilynne did something similar to what I was soooo tempted to do.

Yell at some select individuals for being selfish, do a net slap, and then leave the topic and TPM.

XD I guess thats what I do...Im too honest...but you know Im not leaving the topic or TPM I just want to see it grow up a lil and not dissolve into pointless bicker. Which so far in this topic its a lil better now :D

Anyway I had an idea a long time ago to start a list of what you want to see in the RPG forum, so creators can get a census on what people want and make ideas based on that...Idk where it went but when I find it Ill post the link here if anyone wants to revive it in some way, or Ill revive it...just let me know if its still a good idea. As far as RPG ideas, I have 2 bouncing around in my head atm, I might make a poll to see which one people are most interested in (cause I dont have time for both at the same time ^-^())

EDIT: this thing lol http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15976