PDA

View Full Version : Rabid politics o.o

Asilynne
11th September 2008, 11:03 PM
Picture this: They day before, your loving bf brings you a bumper sticker for one of the presidential candidates. He puts it on your car for you and you happily drive to work in your car, work for 8 hours and then get off work around 10PM. Suddenly you see a shape waving in the breeze, a piece of paper attached to your windshield. OH NO! You think to yourself as you carefully remove the paper from your windshield. Did someone hit your car while you were at work?

No, it becomes clear this is not the case. Because in the light of your headlights you read the note. The note yells at you for your choice of presidential candidate, and on a second note left near the first it goes on to make fun of your car and your parking job. You stare at the note in disbelief that someone has so little guts/life that they feel the need to leave a note ON YOUR CAR to express their dislike for your candidate.

Now what I want to know is, what would you do if something like this happened? What would you think? Cause whe n it happened to me tonight I was stunned that someone would 1) pay attention to my bumper stickers and 2) care enough to leave me a note sharing their opinion of me and my car and then driving off. I sure hope that made them feel like a big person XD

MToolen
11th September 2008, 11:15 PM
As my health teacher wisely put it, "The general public is mostly made up of idiots."

The closest thing to that that I've had is when my girlfriend got a note on her care from one of her dad's coworkers that just happened to walk past it as it was parked. For a long time, we were just confused as to who posted a "Nice bug" sticky note on her windshield.

mr_pikachu
12th September 2008, 12:25 AM
I've never had anything like that... at least, not an angry note about politics.

My closest example? A profanity-loaded note on my windshield accusing me of dinging a guy's car with my passenger door. I found that remarkably hilarious, considering that at the time I hadn't had a single passenger for at least three months. The idiot didn't think someone could have whacked his car and scurried away, I guess.

Crystal Mew
12th September 2008, 12:40 AM
haha thats never happened to me. then again I never put bumper stickers on my car so who knows if someone would do this to me. you should take a picture of these notes and post them here so we can all laugh :)

thats what I would do, laugh and laugh...

Andrew
12th September 2008, 01:46 AM
You need :

1) A scan of this note
2) Pictures of your car
3) Pictures of this bumper sticker.

shazza
12th September 2008, 02:47 AM
Who is the presidential candidate on the bumper sticker? Once I find this out, my opinion on the act will be known.

Asilynne
12th September 2008, 02:49 AM
Who is the presidential candidate on the bumper sticker? Once I find this out, my opinion on the act will be known.

Thats exactly why I didnt mention it, it shouldnt matter XD

shazza
12th September 2008, 02:59 AM
I think it's the most vital information and it should be even in the topic header! :mad2:

Jeff
12th September 2008, 07:08 AM
I agree with Asi, the candidate doesn't matter. Sure, if it was McCain I'd have a different feeling about it than if it was Obama. And if it was Nader, well I wouldn't know what to say about that :P But in all seriousness, the fact that someone actually did this shows how polarized this country is right now. We all just need to chill out and vote for who we think will do the better job. That means that a Republican can live with a Democrat in office (and even vote for them!) and vice-versa.

Andrew
12th September 2008, 07:11 AM
Without evidence I'm far more inclined to think this is nothing but attention-seeking.

shazza
12th September 2008, 07:18 AM
I'm just going to assume it was McCain, and therefore I'm going to take credit for putting the letter there. :)

RedStarWarrior
12th September 2008, 09:07 AM
Some people have no life...

If you still had a Hillary sticker on your car, I might leave a note, though.

Blademaster
12th September 2008, 10:19 AM
If it was a John McDonald bumper sticker, you deserved it.

If it was a Hillary bumper sticker, you deserved a brick in the windshield and not a note.

If it was an Obama sticker, you deserved a dollar on the windshield instead of a note.

This topic is totally NOT turning out the way you expected, is it?

Roy Karrde
12th September 2008, 10:34 AM
Oh c'mon guys, It was a Ron Paul Bumper Sticker!

Anyway its sad that this has happened and it really doesnt matter what sticker it was. This is just the result of a very very long campiagn season. We're within the home stretch of over a year of Presidential Campiagns and tensions are building. I really would suggest carrying a weapon Asilynne.

shazza
12th September 2008, 10:36 AM
Maybe it was a George Bush sticker. :eek:

Katie
12th September 2008, 11:48 AM
What would I do if it happened to me? Laugh that I managed to piss someone off enough to leave an angry note. It would also reinforce my feelings that people on the other side of the fence are retarded, but that's not really a fair conclusion. But I'd still think it.

(If it was Ron Paul I retract the above statement and will add my own note to your car shortly)

Asilynne
12th September 2008, 12:13 PM
I agree with Asi, the candidate doesn't matter. Sure, if it was McCain I'd have a different feeling about it than if it was Obama. And if it was Nader, well I wouldn't know what to say about that :P But in all seriousness, the fact that someone actually did this shows how polarized this country is right now. We all just need to chill out and vote for who we think will do the better job. That means that a Republican can live with a Democrat in office (and even vote for them!) and vice-versa.

This is the point I was trying to make o.o No matter who we want to vote for we are all human beings and Americans. We shouldnt have to worry about excercising our free speech in a harmless way. Everyone should be able to respect other peoples opinions without becoming a rabid monster. This country is so damn "us vs them" that I wouldnt be surprised if we had another civil war along party lines instead of the mason dixon line. The whole freaking point of america is different people with different views coming together as one for goodness sake!

And if this was a bid for attention I would have said they totaled my car with a baseball bat :/

PNT510
12th September 2008, 12:50 PM
Well really isn't someone leaving a note for about how much your candidate sucks expressing free speech as well. You anomalously leave a note saying who you support on your bumper sticker and they do it by leaving a note on your windshield. The person complaining about the park job is just a bitch though.

Asilynne
12th September 2008, 08:20 PM
Normally I would agree with you but the thing is, my "expression of free speech" is a simple non threatening bumper sticker with peoples names on it, thats all. The note that was put on my windshield was a hostle ranting of how stupid I was for having the bumper sticker and a demand that I should vote for someone else. It was slightly less harmless than mine XD And mine wasnt directed at one certain person like the letter was, that took it more on a personal level. So yes Im all for free speech as long as it isnt hurting someone else (as in, I respect other peoples opinions as long as they are civil about it). Had the note just said "I disagree with your choice" I would have been fine with it lol

Plus that I dont like it when people touch my car whether its to put an advertisement on it or an angry mean letter, I really dont like it. ^-^()

RedStarWarrior
13th September 2008, 01:34 AM
Normally I would agree with you but the thing is, my "expression of free speech" is a simple non threatening bumper sticker with peoples names on it, thats all. The note that was put on my windshield was a hostle ranting of how stupid I was for having the bumper sticker and a demand that I should vote for someone else. It was slightly less harmless than mine XD And mine wasnt directed at one certain person like the letter was, that took it more on a personal level. So yes Im all for free speech as long as it isnt hurting someone else (as in, I respect other peoples opinions as long as they are civil about it). Had the note just said "I disagree with your choice" I would have been fine with it lol

Plus that I dont like it when people touch my car whether its to put an advertisement on it or an angry mean letter, I really dont like it. ^-^()

It was just as harmless as yours. Words can't hurt you unless you let them, you weak-minded pussy.

I agree on the 'touching your car' part, though.

Gavin Luper
13th September 2008, 02:38 AM
I agree that it shouldn't matter which candidate your bumper sticker expresses support for: the point is, it's your opinion, and you aren't voicing it in an aggressive way by just putting on your car. On the contrary, I think a note left on your car is unnecessary, because it's actually directed specifically at you.

But ... people are idiots.

Not that the thread seems focused on this now, but as for me, I once received a scrawled note on my windscreen demanding, "HOW DO YOU PARK?" It appears that in my rush to work I may have inadvertently completely straddled two parking bays. I felt pretty pissed. Even though I was totally in the wrong. Whatever.

Asilynne
13th September 2008, 04:27 PM
you weak-minded pussy.

that actually did hurt my feelings for like 5 seconds before I realised what you were doing XDDDD ^-^()

Roy Karrde
13th September 2008, 04:34 PM
First I wanna preface this with that I do not want to scare you.

But after thinking about this for a while I actually would be worried. Alot of people are talking about how it was harmless, how it was just free speech. But if some one was THAT disturbed from a bumper sticker, to not only write a letter, but to go out and place it on your windshield. I would worry about what they would do next, to either your car or yourself.

Free Speech laws end when that speech becomes threatening to you.

Blademaster
13th September 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm going to kill you in your sleep.

(Oh, come on. I HAD to.)

Roy Karrde
13th September 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm going to kill you in your sleep.

(Oh, come on. I HAD to.)

Write it down, and then send it to me in typed or written format with your return address through the mail. And then a friendly neighborhood cop will be visiting you within three to five days :P

mr_pikachu
13th September 2008, 05:19 PM

But after thinking about this for a while I actually would be worried. Alot of people are talking about how it was harmless, how it was just free speech. But if some one was THAT disturbed from a bumper sticker, to not only write a letter, but to go out and place it on your windshield. I would worry about what they would do next, to either your car or yourself.

Meh, I think that's over-censorship. Unless the words themselves create imminent danger - yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, for instance, or inciting a race riot - then they don't pose any real threat. To me, it seems like there's a big difference between telling someone "I'm gonna kill you" and walking toward that person while swinging a crowbar.

Roy Karrde
13th September 2008, 05:25 PM
Meh, I think that's over-censorship. Unless the words themselves create imminent danger - yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, for instance, or inciting a race riot - then they don't pose any real threat. To me, it seems like there's a big difference between telling someone "I'm gonna kill you" and walking toward that person while swinging a crowbar.

Well I would think a Verbal Threat of harm would be more than enough to at least alert the authorities ( Even though it could become He Said/She Said, although enough to get a restraining order ). As the person is signaling he or she is going to harm you in the future. Which at that point you should/are allowed to take a pro active approach to defend yourself before that person can carry out the threat. I mean by the time he is walking toward you swinging a crowbar it is a bit too late.

Katie
13th September 2008, 06:16 PM

The note yells at you for your choice of presidential candidate, and on a second note left near the first it goes on to make fun of your car and your parking job.

o_O?

Asilynne
13th September 2008, 06:32 PM
o_O?

Yeah it wasnt really "threatening" persay, it was just rude, creepy and a lil absurd lol
Although I see what hes getting at, if someone is fired up enough to leave a rude note another person may be riled enough to do some physical harm. But if anyone tried that shit with me, Im not an easy target. Unless of course they totally rape my car when Im not around x.x lol But hopefully thats an absurd idea and people arent that crazy....right?? o.o

RedStarWarrior
13th September 2008, 06:48 PM
that actually did hurt my feelings for like 5 seconds before I realised what you were doing XDDDD ^-^()
I'm so glad you realized that I was joking. :keke:

Roy Karrde
13th September 2008, 06:49 PM
If I were you, on election day, I would drive a different car. Mainly because some people can get so deranged, that they will slash your tires just because they think that doing that will keep you from voting, and if they can keep one vote out, that their person would win.

Asilynne
13th September 2008, 06:51 PM
If I were you, on election day, I would drive a different car. Mainly because some people can get so deranged, that they will slash your tires just because they think that doing that will keep you from voting, and if they can keep one vote out, that their person would win.

Id like to have more faith in the human race than that o.o But I seriously dont know, anyway I cant drive another car I only have one and Im not going to live in fear based on what someone MIGHT do lol

Heald
13th September 2008, 07:11 PM
Id like to have more faith in the human race than that o.o But I seriously dont know, anyway I cant drive another car I only have one and Im not going to live in fear based on what someone MIGHT do lol
It's not the human race that's the problem. It's a subset known as 'the Americans' that's the problem.

RedStarWarrior
13th September 2008, 09:31 PM
It's not the human race that's the problem. It's a subset known as 'the Americans' that's the problem.
It's a much smaller subset known as stupid Americans with enough intelligence to be capable of expressing or enacting their stupidity to a large scale audience.

Also, fuck you. ;)

Drusilla
13th September 2008, 11:00 PM
I know who your bumper sticker is for... and I'm never riding in the car with you, love. :) We can take my old AC-less, band-and-faerie sticker covered POS Corolla when we hang out, mmkay?

Anyway... I think it's amusing that, one, people took the time to actually write a note, and two, that so many people want to know what was on the sticker. Ehehehe...