PDA

View Full Version : Pirating and Countertactics

mr_pikachu
23rd September 2008, 07:32 PM
Before we begin, I'd like to point out that the initial inspiration for this thread does focus on anime. However, I think the discussion topic has far broader merits, so I'd like to consider the idea across all forms of media. Hence why it's a Miscellaneous topic and not OA.

But let's not put the cart before the horse. For starters, please look at this article: Hulu.com Launches Channel for Free, Legal Anime Streams (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-23/hulu-website-launches-channel-for-free-legal-anime).

As anyone who knows absolutely anything about the otaku culture is aware, fansubbing is both a boon for fans and a potential catastrophe for companies. After all, fans are consuming their work without giving them a cent - where's the value in that?

That situation, in many ways, is similar to the more Western crisis of illegal downloading, particularly in terms of movies and music. We've seen some examples in the news recently of how bands and companies try to counter that, with varying degrees of success. (Be honest, how many of you paid more than $0.00 for Radiohead's "name your own price" album last year?)

This is clearly an age in which companies must be innovative in order to keep the revenue coming. They have to make the legal route more attractive to their customers than the easier, often-cheaper illegal route.

Perhaps the offer of free anime by Hulu (sponsored by multiple distributors) is a step in the right direction. Perhaps they'll be laughed right off the internet. We'll see.

Now, considering the above thoughts, I'd like to address a few pertinent questions.

1. Do you think this strategy will work to pull customers away from subbing services like Dattebayo and return revenue to the producers?

2. Are there better tactics that they could use?

3. How could movie and music companies take similar measures to restore their income streams? Would something like this work?

And just for fun... 4. Have you seen anything else like Radiohead's ploy that failed catastrophically?

Yeah, it's a lot of ground to cover, but this is a pretty big, very important topic.

So. Discuss!

Roy Karrde
23rd September 2008, 07:58 PM
Well as I have told you already on IM, I really do not think this was targeted toward subbers already. And lets be realistic here, multiple ways of digital distribution have been tried already and they all have failed.

Really I think this is more targeted toward the 11 to 12 year olds, those that do not know about Bit Torrent or various other websites where you can watch subbed anime. Catch them before the Subbing websites catch them, and hope they will remained so hooked that they wont go exploring for it elsewhere.

mr_pikachu
23rd September 2008, 08:11 PM
Perhaps. I do think that Naruto is a prevalent addition, if only because Dattebayo has risked its userbase time and time again with nonsense promotions. It will depend partially on whether there is initial success for this site. Success means the site will continue; if it does well enough, others may follow Hulu's lead. That would bring more series into the fold, which could help to draw longtime subbing fans away from those services.

Your point does have broader implications that I'd like to point out, though. Let's say a website similar to the Hulu example was established for, I dunno, downloading the latest U2 album. Would people bother using it?

Sure, it's free. Sure, it supports the artist. But it would probably be a little more complicated than some of the less-legal means of getting the album, especially if that one website got heavy traffic. Will people change their ways when they're perfectly comfortable with their current, illegal, free method?

EDIT: I'm trying to keep this discussion from focusing too much on anime alone, but it's probably relevant that Hulu isn't alone (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-23/joost-streams-legal-subbed-naruto-death-note-for-free).

Dark-San
24th September 2008, 05:51 AM
Now, considering the above thoughts, I'd like to address a few pertinent questions.

1. Do you think this strategy will work to pull customers away from subbing services like Dattebayo and return revenue to the producers?

This is a good question, Brian. As a marketer, I do feel that this business venture would be a huge risk. As an website, the only way for Huhu.com to earn their revenue would be to charge it on the online advertiser instead of profiting from the end consumers. So here comes the big problem. How much would the online advertiser be willing to pay? I do believe that crunchyroll.com (another anime video streaming site) had once tie up with Gonzo. But after one spring season of release, Gonzo literally left the partnership. In another words, partnership fails. If Gonzo (One of Japanese main animation distributor) has already taken a risk and failed, what makes Huhu.com and Viz think that they can succeed?

As an end consumer, I would say that this approach is a waste of time. The anime that they released is not real time. When Japanese TV airs an episode on Monday, around 8 hours later, I could get the same episode in English subtitles from fansubbers. Would Huhu.com and Viz provide me with the same episode release as the same time from these fansubbers?

2. Are there better tactics that they could use?

No. Unless Viz and the other American distributor acquired the anime titles the same timing as they are screened and then released their English subtitles a few hours later then this idea will not work. Remember the key driver of success here is not the price but the speed of the episode releases.

3. How could movie and music companies take similar measures to restore their income streams? Would something like this work?

Movies maybe yes but music is a no. Mind you guys here, we are dealing with different targeted market segment. In anime, we have anime otakus, a totally different audience from the two other medias.

And just for fun... 4. Have you seen anything else like Radiohead's ploy that failed catastrophically?

Nope, I only listen to a few of Radiohead's song but not really a hardcore fan of the band.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th September 2008, 09:05 AM
Well I'd like to say people who create these contertactics have some motivation. Free distribution of the legal copies of animes? How do these guys get paid if the anime is free? Advertising? If I understood correctly, the employees must rely on Hulu's supporters.

I hope this doesn't affect the people who want to watch anime from TV. The reason why Naruto isn't in Finnish TV might be that it's too easily found in the internet, if I'm not completely off.

By the way, here in Finland, some peple have been planning a political party named something like 'The Pirate Party' here waiting for enough names to get it registered. Makes me to regain my interest on politics.