PDA

View Full Version : -#-#-Killing Time-#-#- (It starts... Now with plot clarity!)

Blademaster
6th October 2008, 10:57 PM
You're probably expecting one of my usual long-winded introductions, huh? Some jabber about the Universe and how man ties into it, or a facet of it?

Sorry, but that's not gonna happen this time. Because, simply put, there IS no Universe. Not the one we know, anyway...

Confused already, huh? I'll try and explain: See, the Universe as we know it is made of three things: space, time, and dimensions. We still have the dimensions, and the space occupying them, but we don't have the time. Not all of it, anyway. In fact, very little.

OK, OK, I'll put it out on the table for you: Time as we know it is broken. Busted. It's stopped running.

It started about three weeks ago... Hell, it's STILL starting, technically. The date was August 27th. It still is. I got up, went to work, came home, went to bed, the usual shebang. Then, the next morning, I wake up, feeling some kinda deja vu feeling. I don't think much of it until I turn on the car radio, and I hear something about the date being August 27th. Again.

Yeah... You get it now, right? Some people were panicking, but most of us were just stumped. But it was true - every clock looked like it had the previous day at that time, every TV show, movie, and radio station was tuned into the same stuff... Even astronomers confirmed it by comparing the positions of the Earth, Sun, and Moon!

Nobody knew what to do, and tried to ignore it, hoping by the next day it'd have passed. But nope, the next day was the same. And so was the next day, and the next, and the next...

Anarchy broke out. People had no clue what was going on or how to fix it, and despite people noticing the phenomenon, their bodies no longer aged and inanimate objects continued to resume their previous positions day after day. Even people found themselves suddenly back where they started whenever the cycle reset itself, which seemed to be approximately 1:47:26 AM EST.

So now, after three weeks of the most fucked up thing mankind has ever seen - three weeks of people barricading themselves in houses, churches, strongholds, anything they could find... I finally managed to escape and move on to the 4th of September.

How did I do it? How did I escape, and why did I skip an entire week?

The second question, I can't answer. The first one, though, I can:

I killed someone.

STOP READING RIGHT NOW... AGAIN.

First and foremost, don't think this is just a mindless killing spree. There's a reason for all this; with any luck, my first post down yonder should clarify at least a little of why things are the way they are. For now, though, suffice it to say that there's something going on that extends far beyond mankind's understanding of the situation. So try and keep an open mind - time travel is a hard concept to wrap one's noodle around as a VOLUNTARY ability, let alone being flung all around, into, and out of the timespace continuum.

Second, if you, like me, are an impatient fucktarded illiterate bum that is rushing to the sign-up, hold on - this RPG has rules.

RULE #1: This RPG is set in REAL TIME. So, while most RPG's can up and die when people stop posting, this one can't; at the most, after several months, one player can make a comeback and actually claim their 'victory,' in essence 'winning the game.'

RULE #2: Killing people makes you jump forward a relative amount of time (by relative, I mean that the longer you go without killing someone, the farther into the future you'll jump.). There is no set amount of time (or set location where you wind up immediately after killing/dying), but at least this way if you're gone for awhile, you'll be able to catch up.

RULE #3: Obviously, we can target each other. Killing makes you jump into the future. BEING KILLED, however, puts you in a past time. So watch who you befriend, and never drop your guard.

RULE #4: Kills between players must be agreed on - there's not gonna be any godmodding here.

RULE #5: You must put your time and location at the start of each post. This is more a courtesy than a rule, but it also serves me a purpose so I know when and where everyone is, and thus when the RPG is ready to be moved onwards to new phases.

Those are the rules. Abide by them or you'll be booted out.

And before you ask, no, killing yourself over and over won't put you in the future. Since you're both dying AND killing, you will accomplish nothing but create a time paradox. And time paradoxes are... let's say, not good...

SIGN-UPS

Name: (Your name, you dumbass.)
Gender: (Are you a guy, girl, Siamese twins, what-have-you?)
Morality: (Are you good ["I have to try and fix whatever's going on."], neutral ["I gotta stay alive, sorry."], or evil ["I can do whatever I fucking well please! YEEHAH!"]?)
Time: (The time you're in at the start of the RPG.)
Kills-Deaths: (How many people have you whacked/how many times have you bought it yourself?)
Appearance: (What you look like.)
Personality: (What you act like.)
History: (Not that we care about your past, but go ahead and put something here if you want.)
Weapons/Powers: (Time being fucked up might give you some weird new abilities related to the timespace continuum... or something... Whatever, just put what your primary means of banhammering people in the RPG here.)
Relationships: (Interested in anyone? Put it here.)
Other: (Other.)

Mine:

Name: Roy Budokai
Morality: Good-neutral
Time: August 19th
Kills-Deaths: 0-2
Appearance: Roy is a weird-looking motherfucker if ever there was one. He's about 5'10" and 165 lbs., with a slight tan and a lean build. His clothes are just bizarre, though: He wears green shorts, a tank top of the same color, and he prefers walking around barefoot to wearing sneakers, which he usually keeps tied around his waist in case he runs into a 'No shoe, no shirt, no service' stipulation. His eyes are mismatched, with the left one a bright green and the right one a bright blue; both are usually obscured by his 'goggles': sunglasses with an orange-y tint that he has strapped rubber onto, making them look like some type of goggles more than normal sunglasses. When not in use, the goggles are removed from his eyes, strapped instead around his wild, stringy red hair. He wears a bunch of weird wrist straps and bracelets, and he has a small Triforce pendant suspended from a thin chain around his neck.
Personality: Roy Budokai is a lazy, easygoing guy by nature. He talks strangely sometimes, and usually wimps out of confrontations, but he's a good guy at heart. He's OBSESSED with video games, though, and he knows more than a little about both them andthe technology they run on. As a result, he's a computer whiz of sorts, able to hack computers and fix broken electronics pretty easily. In general, if it has buttons, Roy will play with it for hours and hours; he currently holds the world record for longest amount of time spent playing video games without stopping (47 hours and 28 minutes trying to beat Battletoads for the NES).
History: Nothing here, sorry: His parents aren't divorced, he lives in a fine house, goes to school (and sucks at it, usually)... Nothing really worth mentioning... He played on his big brother's old Atari 7800 and NES as a kid when he was 2 and a half; from then on, he was addicted to video games, trying out and playing every game he could get his hands on, selling them for new ones, taking them apart... He wants to design his own video games someday, but his lack of an educational stepladder is kinda hindering that. He'll be lucky to get a job at Microsoft swapping Ringed Xbox 360's at his current rate.
Anyway, come the second August 27th, Roy noticed something screwy as soon as he booted up his DS and realized his game of Pokemon Diamond hadn't been saved from yesterday. After that, he learned about the time crisis, and later on (so to speak), he started hearing rumors about killing people and winding up in different times... It made no sense to him...
Until the fourth day, that is. His throat was slit from behind; he'd never felt such a strange sensation. It should have been agonizingly painful, but all it did was make him feel really tired... He thought he was a goner, but as soon as he blacked out, he found himself wide awake in the middle of downtown Las Vegas. After a short stint trying to find out what had happened, he noticed it was suddenly five days EARLIER.
He knew that he'd heard the truth about killing people and moving to different times now; before he could make much sense of it, though, he felt a bullet rip through his heart. Now it was THREE days earlier. Yet he'd only arrived in this place and time a few hours ago...
Weapons/Powers: Roy's currently unarmed and is seeking a weapon - his pocketknife and his DS Lite aren't going to do him much good against a thug armed with a nailbat.
Relationships: Roy's parents, and his bigger brother. He has no real love interest (Duh.) If anybody wants the elder Budokai boy, go ahead.
Other: His favorite video game is The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

KILLING TIME

----------------------------------

??????
Time and location: Undisclosed

Somewhere beyond the confines or mortal rule and logical law, there stands a structure devoid of time, space, and all matter. For the sake of not exploding the reader's brain, I shall attempt and describe the layout in terms comprehensible to humans:

Within the structure are many rooms. Our focus is one room in particular: one that could dwarf most gymnasiums, with walls of opaque red crystal, broken intermittenly by green pillars.

Green pillars that ran from wall to wall rather than floor to ceiling.

At one end of the room is a white set of double doors, metallic in appearance and easily the size of the face of a house, yet still light enough to be pushed open and pulled shut with no more effort than a typical house's front door. The handles of the doors are well over 15 feet off the floor, yet can still be reached and opened by entrants of any size.

At the other end of the room is a fireplace - a hole in the base of the wall the size of a Sedan, within which gleaming white gems burn like one would burn firewood. The fire is not visible - all one can see is a shining white light omited by the crystals as they burn. In front of this fireplace is a table made of what could only be described as shining blue wood. Not shining in the glowing sense, but highly polished. Atop the table is a gameboard - for the sake of simplicity, let's say it's a checkerboard, since our minds can't rightly grasp the game's infinitely dimensional appearance.

Seated at the table are two figures. One is taller, and one is wider. The tall one finishes making a move just as the door across the room opens, and a third, grey-skinned figure enters.

"Sirs," the creature speaks (in roughly translated English) in an echoing voice, "I'm afraid that the Timeless Time has begun."

The two figures playing the game don't even move, but somehow, a voice answers the grey-skinned one.

"That is unfortunate. Where is the center of the activity?"

"The Galaxy of the Solid Spiral. Within a star system housing sixteen planets. The inhabitants of the system call the planet nearest to the center 'the Earth.'

The wider figure moves.

"The Earth?" a second voice replies. "Such unusual names the mortals choose. Has it begun to spread?"

"No, sirs." the grey-skinned one replied. "The star system and its surrounding space are the only areas affected so far."

The tall one moves.

"The matter is trivial at best, then." the second voice replies. "Simply consult the Ageless and see that it is fixed."

"One moment." the first voice replies. "I know much about that system and its inhabitants... The situation IS trivial, Shon. So why rush to fix it when we could have some fun first?"

The wide one moves.

"Deric, be mature." the first one responds. "I know of their foolishness as well, but do they truly deserve such a frightening response?"

The tall one moves; after a slight hesitation, the second voice speaks:

"Whether or not the deserve it is unfortunately inconsequential. It shall occur."

"Very well, then. Lon, we shall handle the Timeless Time in our own way. Thank you for consulting us."

"Of course, sirs." the grey-skinned one responded, before turning and taking its leave.

"So, shall we begin?" the first voice asks.

The wide one moves.

"Indeed."

----------------------------------------

Roy
Time: 3:52pm, August 19th, 2008

"Hey, kid. You got any change?"

The old man received no response from the green-clad, red-haired teenager he was talking to, who seemed to be totally focused on staring vacantly into space.

"Hey, kid! Give an old man a brek, will ya?"

The redheaded boy blinked, the homeless old man's loud coughing snapping him fron his thoughts.

"Huh?! What!?" he squealed, jumping to the defensive. "Please, don't hurt me!"

The old man stumbled back.

"Hurt ya?!" he echoed, hand still out. "Kid, alls I want is some cash for my (cough) my medicine! That too much t' ask ya!?"

"Oh... uh, no. Sorry... I guess I'm just kinda creeped out, is all..."

"By what?" the old man asked, a little irritated by the teen's odd behavior.

"You wouldn't believe me." the boy replied, handing the old man a dollar he'd pulled from his pocket.

"Thanks, kid..." the old man responded, suddenly sounding much cheerier. "Hey, come on, you can tell old Fred! I've heard plenty o' weird stuffs in my day. How bad can your story be, heh?"

The boy paused for a moment.

"OK, I'll tell you. But don't laugh too hard, alright?"

"Scouts honor, kid." the old man said, making a Boy Scout gesture as he sat back down on his stoop (or rather, the stoop of the apartment building that he used to live in).

The teen sighed and sat down beside the stoop.

"OK..." he finally said, vrushing his hair aside. "My name's Roy. And it all started a little over a week ago... Well, actually, it's all gonna start about a week from now..."

----------------------------------------

Alright, took me long enough. There's some backstory AND a bit of Roy for you guys. Again, please post your location and time at the start of each of your posts.

Let the hunt begin...

Master of Paradox
8th October 2008, 08:13 AM
Name: Oliver Sunday ("Is it my real name? You expect me to tell you that? You're hilarious, you know that?")
Morality: Neutral ("Hey, sometimes people gotta die.")
Time: September 7th
Kills-Deaths: Three kills, one death ("Bastard caught me sleeping... literally. I fell asleep on September 5th, felt a bullet crash through my head and woke up a month earlier.")
Location: Currently shacked up in a run-down house, apparently abandoned, a few miles outside of Topeka, Kansas.
Appearance: Hasn't shaved since before the time stream doubled back on itself; has short red hair, green eyes, and wears a black t-shirt and khakis, with a battered brown jacket. Stands 5'9", weighs 199 lbs.
Personality: When Oliver focuses on something, the rest of the world fades away. He tends to keep discussions to the point and gets irritated when they go off on tangents. Once he gets to know a person, he opens up a little, showing a dry sense of humor and a bit of concern. If you threaten him, however, he turns to ice.
History: "I'm not going to tell you what I was before this. When everything turned in on itself, I was in Washington. I had a girl I loved more than anything, and we agreed that we would watch for each other. Then, after... what was it, the twentieth cycle... I drove up to her house and got there just in time to see some psycho cut her head off with a sickle. He grinned at me, and I could see there was a burn scar over one of his eyes... and then they were gone, both of them. I worked out the whole time-jumping trick a few cycles later. The woman I love is somewhere in the past and the man who took her from me is somewhere in the future. I don't know which way to go. If I fix this, problem solved, right?"
Weapons/Powers: "After the first time I killed someone, I came to a week later. When I did, I found a loaded .22 pistol in my coat pocket. It's got shit for stopping power, but you hit them in the eye, they're not getting up. It helps that, thanks to time being the way it is, I just have to pull the clip out and put it back in to reload. I've got a knife in my pants pocket, which is how I killed the first guy. Other than that, I've got my wits."
Relationships: "My girl is somewhere behind me. Just dying isn't going to bring us back together. I'll get to her in a way I can trust."
Other: "Why am I hiding so much? It's very simple. The second guy I killed was a friend of the guy with the burn. You might be another one."
----

Oliver
8:14 AM, September 7, 2008
Three miles outside of Topeka, Kansas

No one had lived on the farm for a while. If pushed for an answer, its current resident would argue that it had seen its last use as a domicile a couple years before, judging by what was left in it. The electricity was long since out, as was the water hookup. Dust had settled on everything that wasn't moving and most of what was, and the entire building had a collapsing feeling to it.

Which suited the person who currently lived there just fine, as he loved irony.

It was starting to get cold, and so Oliver pulled his jacket tighter, kneeling on the floor of what had once served as the living room - the heat was shut off, too. He stuck out a finger and started to trace something in the floor's dust, eyes narrowing as he worked.

"I started on the 27th..." His finger drew a line. "Then I went to the 5th and got the gun... then that asshole shot me and I went back... but I still had the gun..."

As he did the math, some of his hair fell into his eyes. He flicked it aside, and then heard a creak. The palm of his hand erased his calculations, and he reached into his pocket, taking out the pistol he couldn't explain. He checked to make sure the slide was pulled back before getting up, dusting off his knees, and undid the safety on his gun.

Slowly, Oliver moved towards where the noise had come from (or assumed it came from - this house echoed like an isolation chamber). He rounded a corner, only to see an emaciated rat look up at him.

A chuckle was all he could do as he put the safety back on. "Of course. Why would anyone else be here?" He put the gun away and stroked the hair out of his eyes. "Can't find any food either, huh?"

The rat ran away.

With a sigh, Oliver headed for the door, dusting off his hands as he hopped down the steps. An old, rusty bicycle sat by the door. It worked, though - he'd confirmed that on his last two trips through September 7th.

Wheeling the bicycle up to the road, he pointed it towards Topeka and climbed on. It was time to see what the town had this time.