PDA

View Full Version : Late Night Food

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 09:07 AM
I felt like posting a topic.

Right now all I can think about is food.

Am I the only one who gets hungry late at night? And why does greasy greasy food always taste so much better late at night?

And I guess you could also debate about what is the greatest food to get late at night? I don't really know. Lol.

McDonalds has, over the last year or so, turned many of its stores into 24 hour stores in Sydney, and the idea that I can just go and buy myself a triple cheeseburger at any time of the night really blows my mind. There's just something so much more satisfying about food at 3am.

Although in saying that, I also tend to have a mind bigger than my stomach at 3am and buy too much food and eat it all and get really sick. :(

But yeah.

Discuss? Haha

shazza
10th November 2008, 09:12 AM
I want Chinese. I had roast lamb tonight for dinner at a friend of mine and I have last nights spaghetti in the fridge... but I want Chinese. :swear: :cry:

P.S: Nice work on making a topic at 2.12am.

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks. I thought it was quite a good effort on my part. hahaha :D

I think I owe you chinese. It's partially my fault you're craving it, so I think I now owe you sweet and sour pork or dim sims or something. :P

I would eat leftovers - if we had any. The only thing in my fridge to eat is a carrot that's been there for like 3 weeks, 4 cans of Tooheys New and 2 cans of UDL. I don't think I should drink right now.

Fett One
10th November 2008, 10:17 AM
I get hungry late at night sometimes. Usually, I just ignore it. Otherwise I just eat a couple of cookies to hold me over until the next day.

Gavin Luper
10th November 2008, 10:54 AM
Me = late night food junkie.

After alcohol: a greasy-as-hell kebab from some shitty-looking place in the city OR some form of burger from HJs or Maccas.

Sober and studying up late: I generally gorge myself on marshmallows and chocolate when I need to cram at night. Like now. *eats fudge brownie chocolate* I tend to offset it with an English Breakfast tea (;) Tara).

I am sure this can't be good for my metabolism...

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 11:06 AM
Oh psch, we all die some day. Let's just eat and worry about it later.

Although in saying that, if I'm lucky I'll eat maybe two meals a day. Depending on where I am and whose house I'm at. If I'm home, I'm just too damn lazy to eat.

I'm probably going to end up real fat.

Which would be such a shame. lol

Heald
10th November 2008, 11:10 AM
I went to a 24-hour McDonald's when I went to Sydney. It was the one at Circular Quay. I think it was 24-hour anyway, since I there there when it was like 3 in the morning.

Cadmus
10th November 2008, 11:10 AM
I remember a few years back when I first saw the last series of Sailor Moon over the net, I used to watch them late at night so I'd pretty much have my dinner then. One in particular comes to mind; savoury crepe stuffed with bolognaise and mayo topped with melted cheddar cheese. Also remember a time when I played video games until late at night so I'd have like a small bowl of tuna mixed with onions.

But these days (or late nights, rather), I tend to eat chocolates. Cadbury's fruit and nut especially.

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 11:14 AM
I went to a 24-hour McDonald's when I went to Sydney. It was the one at Circular Quay. I think it was 24-hour anyway, since I there there when it was like 3 in the morning.

There are too many 24 hour maccas. You probably found one. Although I couldn't tell you where. If you were there at 3am I daresay that was a 24 hour one.

When were you in Sydney and why didn't you call me? Pfft. So rude!

Heald
10th November 2008, 11:18 AM
There are too many 24 hour maccas. You probably found one. Although I couldn't tell you where. If you were there at 3am I daresay that was a 24 hour one.

When were you in Sydney and why didn't you call me? Pfft. So rude!
I went there two years ago for some fun. Why didn't I call you? The same reason why I don't call any Australians: Wolf Creek.

As for the topic at hand, my body clock is incredibly out-of-sync. Now, I'll usually have breakfast at 2pm (either cereal or bacon and egg sandwich), lunch at 6-7pm (usually dinner such as curry, pasta or meat, potato, veg), and then I usually get the munchies around midnight, 1am so I either cook a pizza, cheese on toast, ramen, or I order a pizza or Chinese.

I'm such a bad eater.

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 11:21 AM
I really should see Wolf Creek.

I'm not scary though, I promise.

I usually get way hungry when I realise that I haven't eaten. Or when I'm at work. If I stay on the computer all day, I don't notice it. :heh:

mistysakura
10th November 2008, 03:40 PM
Late night ice-cream = awesome. :)

MToolen
10th November 2008, 04:21 PM
I'm still on somewhat of a normal circadian rhythm, so I don't really have cravings late at night due to my being asleep. I usually conk out at like midnight and have to be up at 7. I feel so old and I'm only 19.

Number1ChanseyFan
10th November 2008, 04:32 PM
Meh, I don't really get hungry late at night, of course, I am kinda of like on a perma-diet, so I really don't eat a whole lot anyways. I don't really have a huge appetite, the only thing that I have to watch out for is pop, because it just turns into fat on me, and I love pop, so I always have to fight against drinking too much of it. I have gone from going through at least a 24-pack in a week to no more than one can every other day. But yeah, my metabolism is lousy, so I don't need to be eating in the middle of the night and giving myself more problems lol. I am quite fond of the pumpkin spice cappuccino that is sold in various places this time of year!!

BTW, a lot of the restaurants over here in the USA are starting to stay open all night, like McDonald's and Burger King and Taco Bell.

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 05:12 PM
Haha. Well McDonalds has only started it this year. Oh, and one krispy kreme I know of has been doing it for a while. But in the city most things are all night. It's only out in the suburbs we have a choice between the servo, kebab shops and McDonalds.

Nothing beats a greasy meaty garlic filled kebab at three in the morning.

classy_cat18
10th November 2008, 05:37 PM
My midnight snacks usually be leftover take-out. Pizza slices, warmed up lo mein, Quiznos sandwiches...

If none of that's around, anything that's sweet and not hidden well enough.

DarkTemplarZero
10th November 2008, 05:46 PM
My late night food usually consists of sandwiches from wawa. They taste good, but after eating them I feel like shit in the morning, so I avoid late night food as much as possible. By the way, McDonalds = disgusting and satanic

Drago
10th November 2008, 05:56 PM
McDonalds has, over the last year or so, turned many of its stores into 24 hour stores in Sydney, and the idea that I can just go and buy myself a triple cheeseburger at any time of the night really blows my mind.
http://www.textually.org/picturephoning/archives/archives/images/set2/i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg

I rarely ever eat early, since my sleeping patterns are so out of whack it isn't funny - late night shifts that end at 2 am, a girlfriend who seems to refuse to sleep any earlier than midnight, and an overwhelming lack of hunger for most of the day... Because of all these, I usually end up eating really late.

Tragically, I'm a lazy git who often can't be bothered making anything elaborate, so pizza is my late night weapon of choice. I don't think the cheese bodes me well for a late night, but it's quite satisfying. I try not to have too much midnight McDonalds or other takeaway, but when I do I go the full gamut - McFeast, Big Mac, you name it.
Somehow, working late nights in an arcade has really given me the mindset of a fat guy. Before too long, it'll give me the body of a fat guy, too. :(

shazza
10th November 2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks. I thought it was quite a good effort on my part. hahaha :D

I think I owe you chinese. It's partially my fault you're craving it, so I think I now owe you sweet and sour pork or dim sims or something. :P

I would eat leftovers - if we had any. The only thing in my fridge to eat is a carrot that's been there for like 3 weeks, 4 cans of Tooheys New and 2 cans of UDL. I don't think I should drink right now.

Well if we ever meet I expect sweet and sour pork and dim sims immediately.

Now that it's midday I actually want that spaghetti now.

Shadow Wolf
10th November 2008, 09:29 PM
Well, I like to eat Ramen when I'm cold and Pop Tarts with chocolate(Corte is awesome). When the heat is up at night, then a good ice cream should do the trick.

...and now, I'm feeling hungry so I'm going to eat some Cocoa Pebbles.

Chocolate.

Chocolate.

CHOCOLATE!

mr_pikachu
10th November 2008, 10:54 PM
As for me, I don't usually go out for late-night food. (If I do, it's usually a midnight pizza or something... that I walk to the front door of my building to retrieve.) Otherwise, I go with giant bags of Sour Cream & Onion Baked Lays, Cheetos, cheddar popcorn, frozen pizza (Red Baron is awesome), Cheerios, the occasional fruitsicle, and so forth. Those are my most common items, anyway.

PancaKe
10th November 2008, 11:48 PM
Well, I like to eat Ramen when I'm cold and Pop Tarts with chocolate

OH MY GOODNESS.

Ramen reminds me.

What is a late night snack without Mi Goreng? I love this stuff. I lived off it for a week. It is the best stuff in the universe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/helga_the_strong/18thetc/DSC03023.jpg?t=1226382451
That is 4 boxes worth of Mi Goreng noodles. That's 120 packets.
Enough for the week :)

shazza
11th November 2008, 01:46 AM
Last year I used to live off iMi Goreng everyday until I wanted to lose weight. It was awesome. Then I read how one serving is like double your daily intake of saturated fat and I used to have two servings.

Bulbasaur4
11th November 2008, 02:51 AM
Since I came to China, my late-night habits have been so messed up. I don't even know what a regular sleep schedule is anymore. @_@

My favorite, absolute favorite thing to do is go to this place that we've nicknamed the "Pac Man Place" (because the symbol is a big pac man!) and I order four orders of Jiaozi. Jiaozi are Chinese Dumplings, but 10X better and 10X cheaper. You can get them fried too. Ordering a batch of 12 is fifty cents, so it is awesomely cheap too. They're delicious when they're cold... so I always save some aside for the late nights. Mmmm...

I also love banana pocky lately, and since I can get it whenever I want across the street that doesn't help. xD

PancaKe
11th November 2008, 04:20 AM
Last year I used to live off iMi Goreng everyday until I wanted to lose weight. It was awesome. Then I read how one serving is like double your daily intake of saturated fat and I used to have two servings.

LOL. That week I had like, six packet servings. oooh gosh

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
11th November 2008, 05:47 AM
I eat the majority of my food late at night. During the day I eat a yoghurt or two and maybe some bread with cheese but at night I start to get really hungry (naturally with how little I eat before). Then I sometimes I a whole bunch of cheese, which I love, some roasted sausages, scrambled eggs, a whole pack of chips, chocolate, cookies ... well, just a whole bunch. All in all you can say that I consume half of what I eat each day after 8 pm.

Dark-San
11th November 2008, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't go for either Chinese or Mee Goreng for late night snacks. They are pretty much part of my regular diet since we could get them easily here in anywhere part of the island. And yes Kalah, Jiaozi yummy! But try not to consume too much of them, you will get sick of them pretty fast. *Me tried it, done that, got a phobia of it*

I would say my late night snacks are also McDonalds. They have delivery services here and it is convenient since I do not have to walk to the nearest 24h branch and interrupt me watching last week's big match when Arsenal pwned Man Utd. For late night studies, I would recommend lighter snacks like biscuits, a heavier night snack would have an adverse effect of putting you to sleep.

Shadow Wolf
11th November 2008, 07:26 AM
PancaKe: I haven't tried those, but next time, I'll be sure to get me those. In here(PR) Ramen is sold at 5 packets for $.99 (that's cheap for me), so I buy 25 and go for one-per-day.

http://iseita.cocolog-nifty.com/iseita_photoworks/photo/P1040517L.jpg

These are the ones sold here.

I feel happy when I see the long noodles and start eating.

*sluuuuuuuuuurp* *pant* *pant* *SLUUUUUUUUUUUURP* *gulp* *pant* *pant*

Ah, that feels good.

If I feel really full at night, then I'll just go with a pack of Oreo (or Cameo in case I don't feel like chocolate) with milk.

Blademaster
11th November 2008, 04:38 PM
*sluuuuuuuuuurp* *pant* *pant* *SLUUUUUUUUUUUURP* *gulp* *pant* *pant*

Ah, that feels good.

Quoted, just because somebody had to. :P

Andrew
11th November 2008, 06:19 PM
"Your Pokemon made an egg! We don't know how it got there, but you can have it!"

Ghost
11th November 2008, 10:29 PM
Ever since the beginning of football season, after every game we would get Taco Bell, I guess as some kind of good luck ritual since we won the first game. Now, when my friends come over and it's around 2am ill take the car and we'll drive down a few miles and buy a crapload of Taco Bell and eat it all. The most money we ever spent was $43... for 2 people. Spicy Chicken Crunchwrap Supreme? Delicious.

PancaKe
12th November 2008, 08:51 PM
I think cold food is the best.
Like, not food that isnt hot. I mean food that's meant to be hot but has been kept in the fridge and is eaten without reheating it.
Mmmmmm

Like last nights chicken schnitzel

Ghost
12th November 2008, 09:29 PM
I think cold food is the best.
Like, not food that isnt hot. I mean food that's meant to be hot but has been kept in the fridge and is eaten without reheating it.
Mmmmmm

Like last nights chicken schnitzel

You mean like leftover chinese food? I swear, chinese food seems to get better the longer you keep it in the fridge.

PancaKe
12th November 2008, 09:54 PM
Yes.

And pizza.

Cold pizza is the best breakfast food in the world

Ghost
12th November 2008, 10:03 PM
Yes.

And pizza.

Cold pizza is the best breakfast food in the world

Oh, most definitely. My parents always think I'm weird when I put like 5 slices of pizza in the fridge right when it's delivered. But when I take stuff out of the fridge a few hours later, god is it orgasmic. I only eat pizza warm if it's at a friend's house, otherwise, it just feels wrong.

And yeah, if you have any leftover pizza it must be eaten the next morning for breakfast. They gotta make that a law or something, because if you have never eaten cold pizza, you are missing out on something PHENOMENAL.

PancaKe
12th November 2008, 10:57 PM
Oh, most definitely. My parents always think I'm weird when I put like 5 slices of pizza in the fridge right when it's delivered. But when I take stuff out of the fridge a few hours later, god is it orgasmic. I only eat pizza warm if it's at a friend's house, otherwise, it just feels wrong.

And yeah, if you have any leftover pizza it must be eaten the next morning for breakfast. They gotta make that a law or something, because if you have never eaten cold pizza, you are missing out on something PHENOMENAL.

I like it hot or cold.

But I don't know. It's like an unwritten law that you must eat cold pizza for breakfast at least once in your lifetime.

:]

I enjoy sucking hot tea through tim tams. Does that count as late night food?

kendawg528
13th November 2008, 11:52 PM
You mean like leftover chinese food? I swear, chinese food seems to get better the longer you keep it in the fridge.

that's a fallacy. things like fried rice taste terrible after putting it in the fridge. even the other food doesn't taste as good. i just had a caramel apple empanada from taco bell. taco bell is always awesome late night food.

Magmar
14th November 2008, 09:21 AM
I LOVE ihop at 3 am
livin in the city we have a drunk college student diner called Your Mothers 2 feet away. plus frankly's pizza. Its all bomb.

Blademaster
14th November 2008, 10:17 AM
Doritos.

There is not a food product on the face of this planet that will mindfuck you through your dreams the way a half a bag of Cooler Ranch Doritos ten minutes before bed will. Period.

Ghost
14th November 2008, 11:19 PM
that's a fallacy. things like fried rice taste terrible after putting it in the fridge. even the other food doesn't taste as good. i just had a caramel apple empanada from taco bell. taco bell is always awesome late night food.

Well, everyone disagrees on somethings... And i'm sitting here right now, with 3 volcano tacos waiting for me to devour them. They are pretty good, but not volcano hot like advertised.

And I must admit, i've never had Tea before.

PancaKe
14th November 2008, 11:24 PM
Doritos.

There is not a food product on the face of this planet that will mindfuck you through your dreams the way a half a bag of Cooler Ranch Doritos ten minutes before bed will. Period.

That made me roffle very much. You funny kid.

Cheese apparently changes your dreams. That and not going to the toilet before bed. :]

Blademaster
15th November 2008, 07:38 AM
That made me roffle very much. You funny kid.

I'm two years older than you. -.-

Ghost
15th November 2008, 08:11 AM
I'm two years older than you. -.-

Just because you are older then someone doesn't mean you can't call them kid. Hell, I happen to call my dad son/kid occasionally.

Chris 2.1
15th November 2008, 10:50 AM
Well my flat at Uni is above a 24 hour Bakery so I get what I want round the clock ;)

It's this traditional family bakers that open all through the night so they can make bread etc for the early morning. It's right by the student bars so naturally it's fullof students at like 3am.

I go after a shift at work, sometimes I don't get in till 5am, and grab a few cakes, pies, pasties and sandwiches :P they do these amazing pizza pastries, and since i live upstairs, theyre still warm when I get to my room...

Hmmmm. You'll probably agree with me here - now I'm at Uni, I have my 3 meals but at different times. I have breakfast at midday, lunch at about 4/5pm,and dinner at about midnight :P

Right now I'm going to the store for a massive food binge. I'm thinking doritos, some cookies, cherry coke (duh),maybe a couple sandwiches r something. I'm such a grazer :P

Crystalmaster Mike
15th November 2008, 01:56 PM
There's definitely something to say for late-night snacks.

I get times I don't even eat in the evening on holidays because I've stuffed myself during noon on "fondue" in bouillon sauce or croque monsieurs. We eat croques with banana and chocolate springles, yum!
Then, right before going to bed... I am either still not hungry, or famished! But what I tend to eat is nothing spectacular, really. Your regular fruit-'n-cheese speciality, or some Kellogg's cereals (which, disturbingly, I eat two bowls of each week day anyway).

Crystal Mew
15th November 2008, 11:32 PM
The only late night snack I ever seem to eat is cereal.

And actually, this topic made me go downstairs to see if we had any, which we don't >=[
darnit, I really want some right now.

PancaKe
16th November 2008, 04:58 AM
And actually, this topic made me go downstairs to see if we had any, which we don't >=[
darnit, I really want some right now.

Lmao. I know your pain. I've gotten up to look for various foods mentioned- regardless of whether we have them or not.

mvtm
25th November 2008, 01:06 PM
I ate some Fusili (a type of pasta),with dried tomatoes,bits of spinach & meat.
I know.. not the best explanation..but language limits a bit,when it somes to describing food.Also, i think i missed some ingredients.. ahh.. with parmigiano reggiano (an italian cheese)

In short it wasss sooo goood.Best Pasta i had in a while.. (6 months or so)..

EDIT: HAHA i read "Last Night Food"

Yep,i tend to eat late at night..but just a mini chocolate bar,now and then.

mr_pikachu
25th November 2008, 02:53 PM
See, which I sometimes ask myself what I eat as a late-night snack, I just as frequently wonder why I'm eating. The procrastination flow chart, I've found, tends to explain my eating habits frighteningly well:

http://brentbushnell.com/media/procrastination_flow_chart.png

(Sorry for the large image, but smaller versions made the text difficult to read.)

Shadow Wolf
26th November 2008, 04:05 AM
I sometimes wonder how my life would've been with mr_pikachu as my big brother.

Anyway, I really do not like to cook at night, so if there is Frosted Flakes, Capt. Crunch or Cocoa Puffs on the kitchen, the my stomach can go to sleep happily full.

Ghost
26th November 2008, 07:48 PM
White Castle sliders at 3 am.

Mmmmmm.

PancaKe
27th November 2008, 11:00 PM
Oh Brian. This is why I love you.

Houndoom_Lover
29th November 2008, 03:08 PM
I get hungry ALL the time- and I mean all the time, I'm hungry right now. In America, the big M is open 24/7....But I went there at three once, A.M. They wouldn't take credit cards, the ice creame machine was off, and so were the fryers.

24 hours my foot!

DarkestLight
29th November 2008, 03:52 PM
Lamb and Rice from the kebab guy :D Tis the best at 530 am.

Houndoom_Lover
29th November 2008, 07:18 PM
MMmm, I so woke up at five once, ate a ho-ho, and went back to be. I'm surprised that I'm not overweight, I swear.

Oh, God! I love that flow chart! XD

Gavin Luper
30th November 2008, 08:24 AM
Well my flat at Uni is above a 24 hour Bakery so I get what I want round the clock ;)

That is so cool. SO jealous. I'm gonna be looking for a flat soon but I wish I had something like that. Or maybe a Central Perk downstairs ...

I just consumed a decent quantity of bubblegum/jelly tots flavoured ice cream along with some banana & choc chip icecream. Dear God.

Also, Brian, I dearly love you.

PancaKe
1st December 2008, 12:24 AM
I went to McDonalds the other night at like 11:45pm, but cos I had been drinking with my friends, we couldn't drive, and their restaurant was locked so we walked through drivethru and they refused to serve us. AUGH I WANTED TO PUNCH THEM.

mr_pikachu
1st December 2008, 12:40 AM
I went to McDonalds the other night at like 11:45pm, but cos I had been drinking with my friends, we couldn't drive, and their restaurant was locked so we walked through drivethru and they refused to serve us. AUGH I WANTED TO PUNCH THEM.

The jerks! That's just not fair. One of my favorite pranks to pull is running through a drive-thru and acting normally, freaking out the workers while getting a tasty and fattening meal. (Bonus points if you hold up one leg mid-stride while "parked" at the pickup window.)

Dark Scizor
1st December 2008, 08:25 PM
Could murder for some cereal right now, just ran out of Crunchy Nut Clusters w/ Chocolate Curls.

Also, when I'm in London. 24 hour bagel shop down brick lane. I love it.