PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about books!!

Crystal Mew
14th November 2008, 01:55 PM
So guys, what was the last book you read, and how did you like it?

The last book I finished was The Summer Garden by Paulina Simons. It was the third and last book of the series, and it was pretty good. I wouldn't recommend it for kids under 18 to read it cause it has some mature...sexual scenes, but it was a good book. It takes place in the 1940's, during WWII, when a russian girl meets a red army soldier, who "has a dark past and a terryifying secret" ooooh! good books though.

Now I'm trying to read all the Harry Potter books. I know, once upon I time I said I would never read them, and that they were stupid. but things change obviously :) my friend let me borrow all of them, and I'm on the second one right now, yay. Though school and work make it almost impossible to have time to sit down and read a book for hours, but I'm trying.

so how about you guys?

Weasel Overlord
14th November 2008, 02:36 PM
Well, the last thing I read was Only The Ring Finger Knows on the train home from Cardiff today (I finished it, too). It's a yaoi manga, but not at all explicit. All fluffy and nice. :D

Bookwise... the last one I finished was Soldier Son, by Robin Hobb. I really liked that too (as usual, for Robin Hobb's stuff), although it wasn't as good as her Farseer trilogies. It was more of a stand-alone story though, despite being the first of a trilogy. Didn't end on a cliffhanger, like the Farseer ones tend to. Not sure whether I liked that or not, hehe.

I also started The Hobbit when I finished my manga on the train today, which is looking to be really good. I know, I know. I've not read The Hobbit. Terrible of me, but I was turned off Tolkien at 11 by the intro to LotR, lol.

Shadow Wolf
14th November 2008, 03:02 PM
Well, The last two books I read were:

Manga: I's: A series about Seto Ichitaka who has a crush on Iori Yoshizuki. He has a habit of putting an emotional wall and saying what he does not mean, but he doesn't lose the hope of being with Iori, although she's famous in the school.

I liked the series, since it shows the storyline from Seto's view, making it realistic, since you do not know what the other person is thinking unless you hear it. The ending made me cry and the plot was interesting for me, of course.

Book: The Art Of Loving by Erich Fromm: An interesting book about the True meaning of love, and love in it's different aspects (Motherly Love, Brotherly Love. Erotic Love, Love of God and Self-love).

I REALLY recommend this book for reading, since Fromm gives a very interesting meaning of love and but be warned:

As Erich Fromm says in this book: "All his attempts for love are bound to fail, unless he tries most actively to develop his total personality, so as to achieve a productive orientation; that satisfaction in individual love cannot be attained without the capacity to love one's neighbor, without true humility, courage, faith and discipline."

However, this should not intimidate you, since you will learn a lot of things about true love and love in the contemporary society.

Clark
14th November 2008, 03:49 PM
Last book I read was Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Was one of the only books I've read in the last few years that weren't based on history. Took me a while to finish it because I do too much else. But I went through chapters 1-8 in like 2 days of on and off reading. Then finished 10-Finish in a day. Definitely a must-read. I have the others released in the series that I have yet to start, but definitely will be started before the Twilight movie comes out *yay*

I'm going to read Harry Potter too haha
Waiting on my friend to lend them to me, I'm too cheap to pay money for anymore books.

Zak
14th November 2008, 04:09 PM
Last book I read that I wasn't forced to read was Harry Potter 7.

Though I'm more into mystery stuff myself, I was getting into Kellerman around the same year, read the first four books of his main series... but I just have been way too busy to read anything lately.

mistysakura
14th November 2008, 04:30 PM
Hehe, I'm not a fan of Paulina Simons. I read The Bronze Horseman, and really liked the beginning -- the portrayal of life in war-torn Soviet Union was excellent -- but I thought the protagonists' relationship was pure mush and the sex scenes melodramatic (okay, we get that she's a virgin and the dewdrop of innocence, can we move on now?) Yay to Harry Potter. My friend reads the Twilight series purely to poke fun at them, hehe. Haven't read them myself, so don't have an opinion there.

This semester, I've mostly been doing reading for my literature subject. So I've read To the Lighthouse, The Waste Land, Dubliners, Metamorphosis, Hiroshima Mon Amour, If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, Wide Sargasso Sea, The God of Small Things and Waiting for Godot, plus poems by Sylvia Plath and John Forbes. Out of those, I'd recommend If on a Winter's Night a Traveller (about a reader who's whisked through a journey of different books; weird philosophical stuff, but fun); Wide Sargasso Sea (the backstory of Bertha from Jane Eyre; really takes you away from the stereotype of the "madwoman in the attic" to look at her life in the West Indies); and The God of Small Things (the most colourful descriptions and metaphors, best writing style ever). I'm currently reading the Death Note manga series, a collection of Japanese essays and have borrowed Wicked from the library. Fun times!

Katie
14th November 2008, 08:17 PM
Is nonfiction okay? Because I wasted my Friday with my nose in "A Pocket Guide to Rocks and Minerals". Found it in the little display thing next to the checkout at TJ Maxx a while back. $5, why not?

With the number of pages in it I was a little disappointed with the number of rocks and minerals covered. A good chunk of the first half covers the formation of rocks and defines hardness, streak, cleavage etc. which any rock dork already knows, and I didn't particularly care about because I bought it mainly for mineral identification. The little blurbs for the minerals it does have were pretty informative though. Though I thought it was stupid that the beginning of the book describes what streak means but then the page about the mineral doesn't say what color streak it has! The pictures are gorgeous though, I guess I'll have to make a point to go to the Museum of Barnstaple sometime in my lifetime to see the samples in person.

My review: Pretty pictures, but going to keep looking for a better book for IDing.

PancaKe
14th November 2008, 08:37 PM
Clark, did you really read twilight?

Anyway.. been reading lots of stories etc... but the last proper book I read... gosh. Well I've read the Twlight series recently (except for Breaking Dawn). I thought that they were horrible. The writing and stuff is okay - just the characters and the unrealisticness (hey lets all make up a word!) of the relationship between Bella and Edward makes me really sick. Edward's character is obsessive and controlling, and all he does is say the right lines at the right times and look good and Bella falls in love with him. It's SO DUMB. I want to punch him in the face. And Bella's personality is SO BORING. Eugh. Girl, do you have anything more to you than your boyfriend, and being so bored you do all your homework? Gosh. I am so glad that my boyfriend is fifteen times better than Edward.

Yeah. But I like the whole vampire/werewolf thing. :) The end.

:P

Crystal Mew
14th November 2008, 10:36 PM
Last book I read was Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

hehe :D

I read the Twilight series, and I liked it a lot. Sure, there were times I wanted to punch Bella in the face, but you know, there are a lot of books like that haha (like the Bronze Horseman series...I felt like punching the main girl in that book too). I read them before I knew how popular they were, or before I knew a movie was coming out. My brother got me to read them lol.

Unfortunately, I missed a test in sociology so now I have to put Harry Potter on hold once again and read this book called "The Sprit Catches You, and You Fall Down" stupidest name ever.

Blademaster
15th November 2008, 07:41 AM
Books? What're those?

Crystalmaster Mike
15th November 2008, 02:38 PM
Of the last two books I remember reading the first was Harry Potter 7: "Harry Potter and the Relics of Death" (as it was dubbed here). Nice reading, wrapped up a lot of loose ends, and the death count weighs dearly but it's realistic for a war.

The other one is Dan Brown's Digital Fortress, translated: The Juvenalis Dilemma (which, in retrospect, seems to be a take on The Da Vinci Code). I had fun reading it, being into IT myself, and it didn't help to make me less cautious in handing out personal details on the net. Though, in trying to remember the name of the book again, I came across this list of inconsistencies on da Wiki.

Goes to show no book really needs to make sense for it to be a thrill to read, huh?

Drusilla
15th November 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm working my way through A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin, slowly but surely... I'm still pissed about the ending to A Game of Thrones. It seems like every time I find a book I really enjoy, one of my favorite characters gets offed... ><

Bulbasaur4
15th November 2008, 06:02 PM
Well, the manga I'm currently readying every week when it comes out is Bleach. However I'm thinking of delving in Beserk since I've never fully read it.

As for books, the last book I read was "Empire of Ivory" by Naomi Novik, which is the dragon Temeraire series which I absolutely LOVE. The latest book is out too but since I'm in China I can't get a hold of a copy and my mother is rather horrible with sending packages like she says she will. xD Oh well, I can always wait.

Fett One
15th November 2008, 10:34 PM
The last book I finished reading was Wolverine: Election Day. It's about terrorist trying to fix the presidential election by kiddnapping a kid and threatening to kill the kid if a certain candidate wins the elections. An army general sends Wolverine to go find the kid before it's too late.

I just started reading Batman: Inferno. It's about Batman dealing with a crazed arsonist while at the same time dealing with the Joker, who is going around committing crimes while dressed as Batman.

Crystal Mew
15th November 2008, 11:02 PM
K, I was supposed to read that book for school, but since I had the day off, I spent the entire reading The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins.

It was actually pretty good, and I read the whole thing today. ha..yay for no work/no life.

here's a synopsis I got from it online:
"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival."

I really hate when books end on cliffhangers, and then you have to wait a year or two for the next book! ugh. but I liked this book =) even though it is slightly morbid. I mean seriously, watching people fight to the death on tv, especially when they're all kids. craziness...

PancaKe
16th November 2008, 04:55 AM
After complaining how much I hate twilight - I find myself in posession of Breaking Dawn. Let's see how much the ending sucks.

Weasel Overlord
16th November 2008, 06:07 AM
I'm working my way through A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin, slowly but surely... I'm still pissed about the ending to A Game of Thrones. It seems like every time I find a book I really enjoy, one of my favorite characters gets offed... ><

OMG GEORGE RR MARTIN. Take your time, Dru. It's probably gonna be sixteen years til A Dance With Dragons is out anyway. :/

And yes, I know exactly what you mean. Not gonna say it here for fear of spoilers, but GODDAMN I DIDN'T THINK HE'D ACTUALLY DO IT!! ARGH!! Curse you, George. Curse you to HELL.

Who're your favourite characters then?

firepokemon
16th November 2008, 06:13 AM
My favourite book series ever. The Faraway Tree stories. Enid Blyton is so delightful. I've read the series like 30 times but every time I pick it up, its like magic again. You could say I have a Blyton fetish. I don't really like children's fiction and rarely read any of it. But there's just something about Enid Blyton and the books she wrote that are endlessly magic and always able to be picked up and read. Big fan of the Famous Five, Secret Seven and the Wishing Chair series. Haven't picked up all her series but am currently in collection mode.

PancaKe
16th November 2008, 06:17 AM
My favourite book series ever. The Faraway Tree stories. Enid Blyton is so delightful. I've read the series like 30 times but every time I pick it up, its like magic again. You could say I have a Blyton fetish. I don't really like children's fiction and rarely read any of it. But there's just something about Enid Blyton and the books she wrote that are endlessly magic and always able to be picked up and read. Big fan of the Famous Five, Secret Seven and the Wishing Chair series. Haven't picked up all her series but am currently in collection mode.

I love you.
I collected most of her books.
I always wanted to be part of the Famous Five, or climb up the Faraway Tree.
The Saucepan Man is my favourite character ever.

Weasel Overlord
16th November 2008, 06:17 AM
My favourite book series ever. The Enchanted Forest, the Faraway Tree and Return to the Faraway Tree. Enid Blyton is so delightful. I've read the series like 30 times but every time I pick it up, its like magic again. Actually got a Blyton fetish. I don't really like children's fiction and rarely read any of it. But there's just something about Enid Blyton and the books she wrote that are endlessly magic and always able to be picked up and read. Big fan of the Famous Five, Secret Seven and the Wishing Chair series. Haven't picked up all her series but am currently in collection mode.

OH MY GOD FP I LIVED off Enid Blyton as soon as I was old enough to be reading! (ie: about 5ish - I was quite an early reader.) I've never met anyone else who's like, in our generation (ish) who read her books! You are win. :D

Oh I was gonna ask in my last post... what's with this Twilight shit, anyway? There's been adverts all over the cinema and it looks rubbish. Are the books as bad as the film looks?

PancaKe
16th November 2008, 06:20 AM
The books aren't that bad. Just the whole falling in love thing is really overdone and pathetic. I just enjoy the vampire werewolf thing. It's fun. Everything else can suck balls.

:D but you shoudl read it and make up your own mind.,

Weasel Overlord
16th November 2008, 06:31 AM
Neh, I'd have to order it online and I totally can't be arsed. They don't sell it over here (England), although I bet that'll change once the film is out properly. Oh, unless it's a YA book, cos I haven't been in that section since that last time I bought a Brian Jaques book, lol.

PLUS Night Watch does vampires way better than most. And it's Russian. XD

Crystal Mew
16th November 2008, 09:13 AM
Oh I was gonna ask in my last post... what's with this Twilight shit, anyway? There's been adverts all over the cinema and it looks rubbish. Are the books as bad as the film looks?

I love them mainly cause it has vampires/werewolves too. I'm not sure how good the movie will be compared to the book, but I'm going to go watch it to see! haha

mistysakura
17th November 2008, 01:26 AM
Neh, I'd have to order it online and I totally can't be arsed. They don't sell it over here (England), although I bet that'll change once the film is out properly. Oh, unless it's a YA book, cos I haven't been in that section since that last time I bought a Brian Jaques book, lol.

PLUS Night Watch does vampires way better than most. And it's Russian. XD

Uh huh, your YA section definitely stocks it. When Breaking Dawn was launched we had hordes of thirteen-year-old girls swarming the bookstore, lol.

PancaKe
20th November 2008, 05:13 AM
Uh huh, your YA section definitely stocks it. When Breaking Dawn was launched we had hordes of thirteen-year-old girls swarming the bookstore, lol.

Breaking Dawn = stupidest book ever.

mistysakura
20th November 2008, 06:02 AM
Breaking Dawn = stupidest book ever.

I don't believe you. Surely that has to go to The Princess Diaries? (Which I adored when I was younger. Which probably explains the popularity of the Twilight series.)

PancaKe
20th November 2008, 07:33 AM
I don't believe you. Surely that has to go to The Princess Diaries? (Which I adored when I was younger. Which probably explains the popularity of the Twilight series.)

I'm incredibly curious now.

mr_pikachu
20th November 2008, 01:29 PM
Don't give out the "worst book" title until you've read the book adaptation of Rookie of the Year. When I was seven I could tell it sucked.

One of my favorite books from recent years is the incredibly brutal Battle Royale (the novel, not the manga) by Koushun Takami. It's almost scary how gripping that one was. I'm also a fan of Eoin Colfer - yes, I know, shut up.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else read the Wayside School books? I absolutely loved those, both the novels and the insane puzzle collections. I never did find all of the books, but the ones I had were among the most heavily used on my shelves.

Weasel Overlord
20th November 2008, 01:49 PM
One of my favorite books from recent years is the incredibly brutal Battle Royale (the novel, not the manga) by Koushun Takami. It's almost scary how gripping that one was.

I agree! Battle Royale is a brilliant book. :D I think it helped, seeing the film first for me, though, cos I found I could imagine the characters much easier (there being so many of them and all, lol).

I've nearly finished Absolute Boyfriend #5 (manga) in the actual book copy and not the scanlation. It's pretty darn good (although I've read it before).

And I'm also intermittently reading Pratchett's Night Watch for my dissertation. But it's more reading for work than for pleasure - you know, picking out bits and then analysing them, etc. Knowing the book super well like I do is really helping with that. XD

PancaKe
21st November 2008, 08:17 PM
Just throwing it out there, am I the only one who thought that Animorphs and Babysitters Club were awesome books to grow up with in the nineties?

Crystal Mew
22nd November 2008, 12:15 AM
I was like in the babysitters club and they sent me a few books every so often, it was cool. Now...did I ever read them? not really. haha I still have them all somewhere though..
ooh! and I also belonged to this Boxcar kid club, those books were pretty cool, i actually read those. haha

mistysakura
22nd November 2008, 12:51 AM
Animorphs and Babysitters Club! Good times... and i liked Nancy Drew mysteries too. Go ghostwriters.

mr_pikachu
22nd November 2008, 01:00 AM
Ehh, I wasn't too into most of those (with the exception of the Boxcar Children books... I read a few of them). The Hardy Boys, on the other hand, were cool. Not the new junk, though; the classic books. My dad let me read his collection. Loved it, ancient or otherwise.

PancaKe
24th November 2008, 12:58 AM
I never got into the Hardy Boys... But I was a massive fan of Secret Seven and Famous Five etc.

Zak
24th November 2008, 01:22 AM
The only books I used to read at that age were the Goosebumps. Those were awesome. It's funny to look back and see how awkwardly written they were, especially with this guy: www.bloggerbeware.com he's hilarious. Anyone who's a former Goosebumps fan should go check that out. I'm a regular at that blog.

PancaKe
24th November 2008, 01:27 AM
Yeah! The Ghost Next Door book always scared me. :D

Lol that blog is so awesome :P

firepokemon
24th November 2008, 03:24 AM
OMG I loved Babysitters Club. I read up to about number 30 or so. Then I kinda went away with it and whenever I went to the library the lady would stare at me. The Hardy Boys read a few of those. Loved Goosebumps. Also read a number of R.L.Stine's older books.

I love the Secret Seven and Famous Five.

As for Battle Royale. Excellent book, also love the film and the manga isn't too bad. The manga just suffers from ugly characters, lol. If anything the manga follows the book rather than the film.

In terms of Manga. I'm so slack, only keep up with Naruto, Zatch Bell and Battle Royale. Am collecting all three, while additionally reading the manga chapters from Japan for the manga and have read scanlations of Konjiki no Gash Bell (Zatch Bell).

One book I really enjoyed as a child was a book named, "The Giver". It was fascinating. I'm not sure how to describe it. But the world these people lived in seemed to be quite stingent. Also everyone saw black and white, not colour. Once a person has reached 12 I believe they are given a job that will be their job for life. Some will become labourers (in this case that meant making babies). While one boy was given the special job of The Giver. He sort of holds the knowledge of past and future and stuff. But its weird and the ending slightly disappoints.

mistysakura
24th November 2008, 04:36 AM
I loved the Choose Your Own Adventure Goosebumps. I don't think I even thought they were well-written at the time, but finding the 'good' way out was so much fun. I liked The Giver too; it scared me so much that there could be a society in which twins were killed. That book opened my mind.

firepokemon
24th November 2008, 04:53 AM
Eh what twins got killed? Did I miss that?

Choose-your-own stories were always great. I suck at describing books. But anyone read these mystery type ones where you got clues and stuff and had to decipher codes etc. It'd have titles like The Hidden Castle or Haunted Castle and the like. I suck at remembering book titles.

I use to love second hand book sales at fairs etc. It was always fun picking up a book you normally wouldn't even have a chance to read. One book was set in the 1960s where people still learned Latin. Anyway it was about a boy and girl who lived in a larger town and happened upon a small town with a lake that had by now disappeared. Anyway they made friends with an old couple who would talk about the good-old-days when their town still had a lake. I sadly forgot the title and never got a chance to read it again. Went up in flames when our house went on fire.

Weasel Overlord
24th November 2008, 07:00 AM
I can't stomach horror, so I never read Goosebumps (yeah, I know, pathetic, lol). BUT I was obsessed with those choose your own path books, only the Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson ones (I poo-pooed all the others). The Fighting Fantasy ones. Hahah I was such a dork. They wrote Warlock of Firetop Mountain... the books always had some sort of like, bright green on them, usually around the top of the front cover. I always got them from charity shops or car-boot sales. I'd get my grandma to buy them for me. Aaah, good times, good times.

Crystalmaster Mike
24th November 2008, 01:11 PM
Ah yes, Animorphs... Besides a Power Ranger, that must've been what I daydreamt of being before Pokémon came along. Too bad our library only had like 7 books out of the series. I learnt most of the storyline from Wikipedia, lol.

As for Goosebumps, I was kicked on the Cheerleader books. I still remember one of them getting killed by steam-hot shower water. They mentioned how she looked "as red as a lobster". Now there's a mental image I never forgot...

I read some Choose Your Own Adventure stories too, when I was little.
It helps to have a known writer live +/- 5 houses away, too. I think I read through his whole section or something (like 10 books or something).

Crystal Mew
3rd December 2008, 05:22 PM
I just finished this book called "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down" very stupid name, but not really a bad book...it was a true story of this Hmong girl who had epilepsy, very sad. I had to read it for school, I wouldnt tell anyone to read it for fun cause its really boring at times

PNT510
3rd December 2008, 05:37 PM
Lets see books I've read recently are: Star Wars The New Jedi Order books 1-5. They're alright I normally read them at work when on my breaks to pass time.

I also read all 4 Twilight books 2 months ago. The firsts and fourth books are excellent. The second book was pretty meh.

Currently I am reading Ender in Exile. The newest book in Orson Scott Card's "Enderverse" and I think the first one starring Ender in 14 years. Fans of the series should definitely check it out, otherwise I say start the series with Ender's Game. It's a really fun Sci Fi novel with a nice twist at the end.

PancaKe
3rd December 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm reading this book called The Sacred Diary of Adrian Plass (37 1/2 years old) and it's the funniest book in the entire world. But if your not a churchie, you probably wouldn't get it :]

Weasel Overlord
3rd December 2008, 05:50 PM
I finished A Pale View of Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro last week. It was REALLY good! Sort of a mindfuck at the end, mind. Definitely gonna pick up more of his books, though. His writing style was great!

I'm getting a fair few for christmas, hurrah! The last in Terry Brooks' latest series; The Gypsy Morph, which should be excellent. Then a rare James Barclay book, and his new Raven book, which I'm SO excited for! I never expected him to bring out another Raven novel. :D :D

Anyone who's never read James Barclay should try and seek him out. He writes fantasy, mostly, but with very realistic battles. His battle/fight svenes are the best I've ever read. So fast-paced, but you can follow them perfectly.

Ooh and Ian Irvine! You aussies might know him, but he's not very popular over here.

Crystal Mew
26th December 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm back to reading Harry Potter. I'm on the second one, I've seen the movies, so its kinda boring to me right now...I think the last few are more exciting, right? hopefully?

Houndoom_Lover
26th December 2008, 03:32 PM
The last book I finished was Inkdeath! Aah! It was such an ending, and yet I crave more. There was so much I needed to know but never found out- Hmm, I received the newest Artemis Fowl book in hard cover, and a 30 dollar gift card for Barns&Nobels and a gift certificant for this neat book store that sells out of print books.

I can't wait to go!

MToolen
26th December 2008, 03:56 PM
The last book I finished was A Brief History of Everything by Ken Wilber. His thoughts on the patterns of the cosmos were very illuminating, but I don't like the New Age direction with which he took it. Oh well.

Right now I'm trying to force myself through an Erwin McManus book I started (Uprising) so I can get to the new Rob Bell book my fiancé (hehe, I can say that now) got me for Christmas.

I did read a bit of Goosebumps, Animorphs, Encyclopedia Brown; many of the classics.

DarkTemplarZero
27th December 2008, 01:24 AM
Oh man Animorphs. The good old days. I think I reread every one of those books like 5 or 10 times, they were so good. I still have most of them, maybe I'll start rereading them for kicks.

I actually recently read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; both incredibly funny. Douglas Adams was a genius, may he rest in peace. I'm bringing Life, The Universe, and Everything and The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (greatest book title ever by the way) with me on my new years ski trip, very psyched.

Crystal Mew
14th January 2009, 10:01 PM
I just finished the 2nd harry potter book, it was pretty good I guess. I'm not going to have a chance to finish the rest of them till school is over for the semester (so not till april) since I have to read all of the lord of the ring books for my english class...gah.

I did start reading this book called Graceling by Kristen Shore though, its pretty good so far but I had to stop today to start reading lotr. its bugging me I need to finish it soon

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
15th January 2009, 01:11 AM
I'm not reading too many books, I'm mostly into fantasy literature though even there I'm picky. The last book I read was J.R.R. Tolkien's Roverandom. A children's book about a little dog being turned into a toy and his adventures till he gets his real form back. I'm not sure how enjoyable it is for adults unless they enjoy Tolkien's works in general (which I do) but it sure makes a good read for children. You could read it to your own kids as a bedtime story.

Drago
15th January 2009, 01:21 AM
Last book I finished (about a week ago or so) was Michael Holley's Patriot Reign, a definitively propaganda-styled view on the Patriots' Super Bowl season of '03. Yeah, it's not like details are changed or untrue, but the amount of Patriot-licking (which shouldn't be a surprise, considering what the book is about) is mildly cringe-worthy. And only one mention of Steve McNair, the greatest player of the era. Damnation.

Weasel Overlord
15th January 2009, 05:11 AM
Lessee; I finished The Green Mile before Christmas, which was brilliant, as I expected. It didn't make me as sad as the film; I think because he described everything in such minute detail that I got lost in that, rather than the sadness.

Also got my Haruki Murakami collection finished, The Elephant Vanishes. Some of the stories in there were just weiiiiird, but the last few were really good; especially The Dwarf Dances. His writing is pretty infuriating though, since the stories seem to end before they're meant to.

After that, I started on my Christmas pile. XD Firstly, Ravensoul by James Barclay. That was probably one of the most action-packed books I've EVER read, hehe. Then I went onto The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger, which was absolutely amazing. It made me cry at least fifty times, heh.

Once I'd finished that, I was free to move onto my new Ian Irvine book, which came out a few weeks after Christmas; The Destiny of the Dead. I only finished that last night, cos I was savouring every last moment of it. Once again, a TON of action, and multiple situations where you don't think the heroes will survive. :D Brilliant stuff. And the book's so big you could kill someone with it, lol. I couldn't have carried it around if I tried.

Next on my list I've got either; The Children of Húrin by Tolkien, Necronomicon, HP Lovecraft's mega-collection, The Gypsy Morph by Terry Brooks, V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, or Forest Mage by Robin Hobb.

DTZ: I read Hitchhiker's Guide myself, quite recently. Well, the whole quartet, anyway. I thought they were great! His writing style was hilarious. We also watched the film shortly after, and I was surprised at how close to the book it was in terms of a hell of a lot of the script being word-perfect from the book.

Crystal Mew
17th January 2009, 09:39 AM
I finished Graceling yesterday, and I really didn't like the ending at all. Looks like there will be a sequel(I think all books need sequels now) but... I don't like the direction its going so I dunno.

I'm taking a Lord of the Ring class (I know, right? haha) and so I need to read the first Lotr book :)