PDA

View Full Version : TPM All Over The World

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 03:24 AM
I know Miscellaneous Stuff is full of threads already, but I got inspiration.

I got this idea when I was browsing Members List (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/memberlist.php) for The (Un)Official Milestone Topic. I noticed a member called Yami Annika (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=263). She seems to be Finnish because:

1. Annika is a Finnish girl's name.

2. Her signature says:

Odo: But don't worry, I plan to investigate the Klingons, the Bajorans, Quark, the visiting Terrelians...
Sisko: Do you think Quark had something to do with this?
Odo: I always investigate Quark.

And Sisko is either the Finnish word for 'sister' or a Finnish girl's name.

Unfortunately she has only 201 posts and last time active in 2004. Like all the other Finns except for me, she has left us long ago.

Utsugi/Itsag/I know there isn't this name but I forgot/ was the first other Finn I noticed here. I think it was 2001, he made a topic about a Pokemon Championship in Finland and I replied in Finnish. Luckily Austrian ViceMaster Alex posted soon that I should add a translation.

I was online the following day or the following week after HaRWeY (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=931) joined TPM. I posted a long welcome post in both Finnish and English.

OnTheEdge (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=1849) is more known in another Pokemon message board but I used to PM him here.

Porygon X (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=1350) posted an announcement (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7287) about Celebi Eon Tickets available in Helsinki but it wasn't until 2 years later I noticed the post.

...except for me (which I highly doubt :P )

Heh.

Terälehdet (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=4851) is Finnish for Razor Leaf, though it's plural actually.

I want the replies in this topic free-form, more like a discussion, but here are some questions you can give a thought.

1. Do you know how many TPMers there approximately are in your country? How well do you know them?
2. Have they left or are they active? Likely most of them have left...
3. Do you have something to say about the popularity of TPM across the world in general? What do you think of the situation?
4. Do you remember the Finns I mentioned? (you may change the word Finn into another nationality mentioned here)
5. Do you know any other Finns at TPM? (see 4)

Discuss.

PancaKe
17th November 2008, 03:37 AM
Yay great topic Mikachu!

1 ~ Yeah I know quite a few Aussie TPMers. I won't claim that I know them all.
we

I've met up with Andy a few times. Taking him to the zoo on Friday. Gosh I'm so excited.
I love Gavin to pieces, and Ada (mistysakura). Those guys are fanfiction GOLD.
I met Ryan (CCC/Last Exile) when he was up in Sydney for YuGiOh championships, and we talked on the phone and sent each other letters quite a lot as well. He sent me so much anime! I'm so grateful for it!
I also met, and dated, John (Bronzie/Bronze Umbreon). Yeah. There are reason's we are ex's now. :\
And within the last 2 months, I've really gotten to know Shazza quite well. By that I mean, I've gotten to actually know him - haha after 7 years we only start talking now. So many wasted years!

I think thats everyone... There were a few other randoms that used to be from Sydney that I'd talk to, but those are the main people. If I forgot you I'm SO SORRY! T__T

2 ~ The only ones that have left are Ryan and Bronzie. I wonder what Ryan is up to these days.

3 ~ The popularity of TPM across the world? Definetly most popular in Amercia. But right now, without registration or a website, it's not really popular, just familiar.

4 ~ No. Sorry

5 ~ You really should move to Australia, Mikachu. Clearly there are so many aussie TPMers you wouldnt know what to do with yourself!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 03:44 AM
Pancake: Nice to see you enjoy the thread, and haa! I know one Aussie better than you! He is named Crazy Elf Boy (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=4719) and some months ago, he was very active in PCG and ASB. We had a joke in PCG about me posting always after him. I did it more than 200 times, and it had probably something to do with time zones and our activity. Now he's gone.

Zak
17th November 2008, 03:45 AM
Jumping to conclusions a lot are we.... but you could very well be right.

1. Do you know how many TPMers there approximately are in your country? How well do you know them?

Well, I LIVE in the states, so of course for that. But I'm also from Israel and used to live there and did again a year ago so I guess that would be a more appropriate example for this question. And sure, there are several old members and some former mods I can name from there. Fireblast, Sniper404, dienamight, DarkPsychicCharizard, Midnight Burakii/Burakii and RK9/Shidorah/whatever she calls herself now, dr. steelix, Rabi Omri (who I think is banned), InToXicaTeD, pikapeace... and I'm probably forgetting some but that's already enough. EDIT: I think there was a guy named StellarWind from there, as well as eLecTabuzzz or something.
I don't really know them that well, just a little chit-chat on IRC.

I'm pretty sure they've all left, though it's possible the IRC ones still may lurk, but they'd probably all be in the army by now.

3. Do you have something to say about the popularity of TPM across the world in general? What do you think of the situation?

Um....

4. Do you remember the Finns I mentioned? (you may change the word Finn into another nationality mentioned here)

I remember HaRWeY, that's about it.

Negative. As a matter of fact the only other Scandanavians I know... wait, is Iceland considered Scandanavia? Cause I can name a couple from there.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 03:56 AM
Zak: Sorry, I didn't understand your first sentence. What comes to the rest of your post, I can nitpick one thing.

'Scandinavia' is offically just Sweden and Norway, unlike most think. Even Finland isn't Scandinavia, so. But we have a more general term 'Fennoscandia' which is Scandinavian Peninsula, the Kola Peninsula, Karelia and Finland. 'Nordic Countries' is what you're looking for, it includes also Denmark, Iceland and Greenland.

And I think Bjarni Haraldur Sigfússon (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=2168) is from Iceland.

PancaKe
17th November 2008, 04:23 AM
Oh gosh. Real One Bjarni. That brings tears of laughter to my eyes.
To think that we got so uptight about someone pretending to be a retarded kid. Seriously. How much did we slag on him. Eugh we must look like such fools

Lady Vulpix
17th November 2008, 04:45 AM
This looks like a poll to me. Shouldn't it be on PCG?

1. Do you know how many TPMers there approximately are in your country? How well do you know them? Active? Just me. Mybrother posted a few time under the name of Kerel, and 2 acquaintances of mine have posted as Snorlax Master Beta and Xinefnarg, but none of them are active these days. They only joined because of me.
2. Have they left or are they active? They left. My brother's been saying he'd like to return, but it never seems to be a good time.
3. Do you have something to say about the popularity of TPM across the world in general? What do you think of the situation? It's complicated, mainly because of the activity issues we're going through. But I think the English-speaking world is quite well-represented, and the rest of the world has a few representatives as well.
4. Do you remember the Finns I mentioned? No, sorry.
5. Do you know any other Finns at TPM? Just you, I think.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
17th November 2008, 05:37 AM

To my knowledge there are currently no other TPMers from Austria here. There were at least two otheres at one point back in 2001. One was DarkGyarados who actually hacked the board once. Evil! So right now I'm alone.

2. Have they left or are they active?

See above.

When Pokémon was still fresh and new it wasn't a surprise that so many people from around the globe were flocking to one of the greatest Pokémon forums.

4. Do you remember the Finns I mentioned?

Not really, no.

Nope, I'm afraid I can't recall any.

Zak
17th November 2008, 06:04 AM
Zak: Sorry, I didn't understand your first sentence. What comes to the rest of your post, I can nitpick one thing.

'Scandinavia' is offically just Sweden and Norway, unlike most think. Even Finland isn't Scandinavia, so. But we have a more general term 'Fennoscandia' which is Scandinavian Peninsula, the Kola Peninsula, Karelia and Finland. 'Nordic Countries' is what you're looking for, it includes also Denmark, Iceland and Greenland.

And I think Bjarni Haraldur Sigfússon (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=2168) is from Iceland.

Finland isn't Scandanavia?! I always thought it was Norway, Sweden, and Finland.

THEMOREYOUKNOW, I guess.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 06:42 AM
PancaKe: I could perhaps do that as well since I've got asperger...

Lady Vulpix: I told I wanted to make this free-form, perhaps I shouldn't have put the questions down.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex: You answered question 3 so well that I haven't anything in my mind to add there.

Zak: As I said, it's a common mistake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennoscandia

In fact, I didn't know Denmark is regarded as a part of Scandinavia and these sources mention Finland too...

Weasel Overlord
17th November 2008, 06:51 AM
Free-form is free form. I disdain questions! Hahah... ahem.

Anyway. I'm from England. I know, lessee... Heald, Chris 2.0/1, Kris, Ultimate_Charizard... ums, there's probably more Brits, but I've forgotten them. :( U_C actually lives like, 20 minutes away from where I do, hehe. I think we met without knowing it at my gaming club once. Oh, and Emotional Faun Chiko-Sai lives in London while she's at uni, but she's Malaysian, so.

Out of those, I know Emo-sai the best, then U_C, Chris, Heald and Kris in that order. Ish.

(Wanna point out though... that siggy in the first post refers to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - the Captain is called Sisko and one of the other crew guys is Odo.)

In reference to the rest of the world... well, I know people in Malaysia, China, Australia, America (of course), England... I'd say TPM is pretty well represented from allll over the world. :)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 07:23 AM
Weasel Overlord: Star Trek? OK. I haven't watched it (carefully) enough I see. Hence Klingons and such, huh? I thought it was just a conversation about Star Trek, but now I know better. And this makes more sense.

Does anybody know if there are Africans (and I mean those who live in Africa) here, by the way?

EDIT: I reread it, and Porygon X talked about Eon Tickets? Where did I get Celebi from then? Sadly I don't know what Eon Tickets are, so that's probably the reason.

Heald
17th November 2008, 09:44 AM

Not sure. I'm from the UK, so around 20. Only around 10 actually have posted here for ages. Wurzel mentioned some, although she forgot L_P. I've never made any attempt to meet any of them in person and I doubt I ever really will. I like to keep my personal life separate from my online persona. I once introduced a friend of mine to the RPG forum in 2001, but he didn't stay for more than a few months. I forget what his username is.

See above.

Mostly Yanks are here, although quite a few Aussies. More active Aussies than Brits here, by the looks of things. Well, Aussies and Kiwis.

No.

No.

MToolen
17th November 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm from the U.S. It's huge and so I can't see myself visiting too many people. My brother (Duo_Washu_III) did hang out here occasionally in RPG, but he's moved on to Gaia.

I like hearing opinions from around the globe. It makes me feel more sophisticated by not only hearing "AMERICA IS TEH GREATEST EFF THE REST OF THE WORLD" all the time like I do elsewhere.

And I think I remember Porygon X, albeit faintly. No other Finns, no, sorry.

Zak
17th November 2008, 12:43 PM
I'm from the U.S. It's huge and so I can't see myself visiting too many people. My brother (Duo_Washu_III) did hang out here occasionally in RPG, but he's moved on to Gaia.

I like hearing opinions from around the globe. It makes me feel more sophisticated by not only hearing "AMERICA IS TEH GREATEST EFF THE REST OF THE WORLD" all the time like I do elsewhere.

And I think I remember Porygon X, albeit faintly. No other Finns, no, sorry.

Porygon X is the user most know now as RazoR_LeAf.

Heald
17th November 2008, 12:54 PM
I never knew that.

Bulbasaur4
17th November 2008, 02:14 PM
No, I never made a point in counting them all and ironically enough most of my friends from TPM are Aussies or Brits. Hurr hurr.

2. Have they left or are they active? THere are plenty who have left, but the ones I'm close to now are still around.

GO US.

Nope.

.... wait, this is a Finn topic now? D:< ANGRY FACE. xD xD

It's fun to think about where a great deal of my TPMers are from though. I know I want to go to London eventually to visit a few of my friends that live in that area! I also have to make a point to travel up to Northern California... but that drive is so LONG and BORING... hurr hurr.

Knight of Time
17th November 2008, 02:20 PM

No clue, I know a few Canadian TPMers here, Crystal Tears and River are the ones who come to mind the fastest, and besides that, they happen to be sisters, and I occasionally talk to them on Windows Live Messenger.

2. Have they left or are they active? THere are plenty who have left, but the ones I'm close to now are still around.

As far as I know, River isn't on here very much, but Crystal Tears is a fairly common sight here these days.

Well, I wouldn't mind seeing a few more Canadians join, we may have one of TPM's smallest concentrated groups, but it looks like I'm probably going to be the most well-known Canadian on here, or one of them at least.

No, sorry.

You're the only Finnish person I know on here.

Jeff
17th November 2008, 02:43 PM
Well, this thread seems a bit pollish. Get it? Pollish, Polish.
*crickets chirp*

Anyway, as others have pointed out, Americans have a pretty good hold on TPM, so there's too many of us to count. After us, the other two big groups are obviously the Aussies and Brits. And no, I don't know any Finnish TPMers besides you Mika.

Drusilla
17th November 2008, 05:01 PM
Weeeelll... so many Americans. We're a plague. Someone should get antibiotics.

However, since we're practically our own country... *dodges tomatoes* There are still quite a few of my fellow Texans lurking about here. Myself, Roy Karrde, and Katie all live within an hour or two of each other... when she's not off at uni, Katie lives in the next town from me. =o Homeofmew lives near where I used to live, too, down towards the coast... To my knowledge, we're the only ones left... Though I have the feeling I've forgotten someone...

shazza
17th November 2008, 08:57 PM
And within the last 2 months, I've really gotten to know Shazza quite well. By that I mean, I've gotten to actually know him - haha after 7 years we only start talking now. So many wasted years!

Last 2 months? Haha it's been like 10 days.

Yes, many (both past and present): cool_daddy_47, Vidgamergbc, Ash_300, PancaKe, OzAndrew, CubeGamer/cibe, Aeriana and like a million others

I speak to cooL_daddy everyday, but he doesn't come on TPM anymore. I really need to meet him soon. PancaKe I've been increasingly talking to lately, which has been really good. OzAndrew is still active but I raarely talk to him.

No I don't.

Porygon X.

No, sorry.

PancaKe
17th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Last 2 months? Haha it's been like 10 days.

Has it only been 10 days? LOL my bad!
I seriously thought it had been so much longer :heh:

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 10:56 PM
Sorry if this is a disappointment, I won't reply to everyone, though I did and intended to do in the beginning. And the last two questions were meant to help you in commenting on also other nationalities, not just Finns, but I explained badly, I see.

RaZoR LeAf (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=102)?

Mikachu is confused, it hurt itself in its confusion! He can't be Finnish, can he? His profile says Church Village, Llantrisant...?

Roy Karrde
17th November 2008, 11:05 PM
This does look interesting, and really with TPM being almost like a global melting pot it would be great to get a map or list of where some of the key members and countries are from. Anyway...

Oh man too many to count, I know a few in my state.

Well we have like Dru, myself, and Tina and a few others just living in Texas.

I think its amazing how I can talk to say Kalah in China ( Which I demand she change her nationality to that till she gets back into the states ). Or darktyrannitar in ummm.... or Dark-San who is somewhere in Eastern Asia at a convention right now. And that no matter what our culture is we can share so many interests.

Of course I know Yami Annika, I do miss her being on TPM, and I enjoyed participating in the few RPGs we were in together such as Mewtations.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 11:26 PM
This does look interesting, and really with TPM being almost like a global melting pot it would be great to get a map or list of where some of the key members and countries are from.

Great idea! Should I make a new topic for the list, what do you guys think? Once the list is good enough, it would be rather easy to make the map as well.

Of course I know Yami Annika, I do miss her being on TPM, and I enjoyed participating in the few RPGs we were in together such as Mewtations.

But we aren't 100% sure if she is a Finn, not that you had said so, of course. Especially since Sisko is a Star Trek character.

Zak
18th November 2008, 01:40 AM
Since Americans are talking about people from their state... I guess you could say there are a lot from Massachusetts here, old and new. Ones that I can think of (most of which don't come here anymore) are... Aglandiir, Wergoheb, Deck Knight, The_Missing_Link (she's still active), EVme, Jigglyman (lol remember him?), and I THINK I remember spoon/Seadramon71/FuzzyGreenEkans/Victreebel (was a popular fanart-ist iirc) being from here, and finally suzie (the one from IRC that goes by "suzie" here). It's funny I think I remember her telling me that her uncle worked at my high school.

But anyway overall out of them it's pretty even between who I know and who I don't. Back in the day when I had a lot of free time and lived on here I even met some of them, that was... what, five years ago?

Bulbasaur4
18th November 2008, 01:58 AM
No Roy, I do not count as Chinese. So stop imagining me as some asian chick (as awesome as that would be!)

Dru used to live in Minnesota back when I was in HS I believe, so that was pretty cool! I think she was the only TPMer who lived close to me. ;_; Although now I think Ghost is near my college, or at least anyone who is sorta close to chicago is sorta close to me now! At college! OH and when I'm living in Los Angeles, I know that Engi and Wolf are close to me! Well... not so much wolf, as he farther north b ut still.

Man... I live in too many places. In a regular year, I rotate living in CA, MN and WI. >.>;;

Zak
18th November 2008, 02:17 AM
Sorry if this is a disappointment, I won't reply to everyone, though I did and intended to do in the beginning. And the last two questions were meant to help you in commenting on also other nationalities, not just Finns, but I explained badly, I see.

RaZoR LeAf (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/member.php?u=102)?

Mikachu is confused, it hurt itself in its confusion! He can't be Finnish, can he? His profile says Church Village, Llantrisant...?

All I know is RaZoR_LeAf = PorygonX.

Either:
1. You're mistaken, he's not Finnish. Misunderstanding.
2. It's a different PorygonX.
3. He used to live in Finland?

Jeff
18th November 2008, 07:03 AM
I haven't known of any other Marylanders here since joining. There are quite a few over at Bulbagarden though. I know of a few TPMers from Virginia, and one from Delaware. Then there was someone who came and posted a welcome thread who was from Pennsylvania. As far as I know, they're the closest ones to me.

Lady Vulpix
18th November 2008, 09:35 AM
Great idea! Should I make a new topic for the list, what do you guys think? Once the list is good enough, it would be rather easy to make the map as well.You could always revive the International Club.

Drusilla
18th November 2008, 11:56 AM
Dru used to live in Minnesota back when I was in HS I believe, so that was pretty cool!

I totally forgot about that. =o I did live up there, but moved back to Texas... it's too cold up there for me, haha. It's too cold in Dallas for me, for that matter... *shivers*

Dark-San
26th November 2008, 10:03 AM
... or Dark-San who is somewhere in Eastern Asia at a convention right now...

Oh geez, now you reminded me of my rather unpleasant time there. So much so for an anime festival with only 8 titled animes in the entire exhibition hall. -.-;

** ~ **

Just in the same country as me, there is Roarkiller. Above me in Malaysia, there is darktyranitar, Hypernessisagoodthing! and Yiwen (Emo fan). Just down under Australia, there is Andrew, PanCake, shazza and the other Aussies. How well, I know them? Now this is a very tough question even for me to answer.

In a rating system of one to five with five being the most familiar

Roarkiller - 5
darktyranitar - 2
Hypernessisagoodthing! - 1
Yiwen (Emo fan) - 2
Andrew - 2
PanCake - 1
shazza - 1

Meh, I am not very sociable I guess.

2. Have they left or are they active?
All of them are currently active. But Roarkiller seems a little more than usual inactive recently.

If we are popular, we would be getting new members almost everyday. But that isn't the case anymore, which also lead to our main site revival project.

None at all.

Sorry, the only Finn I interact with would be Mikachu. But then again, quit your weird colorings in your replies. They give me headaches while trying to interpret their meanings.

** ~ **

Dark Scizor
26th November 2008, 05:28 PM

Discuss.
1. Not a clue, there used to be quite a few others from the UK though. I used to talk to some quite a bit, never met up with any though. Was never really into the idea of meeting with people on the internet.

2. I reckon most have left, I know that Heald is still around though, but that's about it.

3. It used to be, remember the days when Serebii was just a drop in the ocean by comparison to this place?

4. Nadda.

5. Nadda again, sorry.