PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon being used in people's last names?

Knight of Time
17th November 2008, 02:12 PM
Okay, some of you may find this topic to be unusual, but while I was watching The Price Is Right on CBS earlier today, I could have sworn I saw a man being called down who had the last name "Stantler".

Anyway, has anyone heard of a Pokemon being used in someone's last name, other than this possible case?

I know this may sound crazy, but if anyone here from the United States can get onto CBS's website, you can see the episode that was on today (unfortunately, being as I'm Canadian, I cannot view any past episodes on CBS >_<).

Blademaster
17th November 2008, 05:01 PM
That is awesome. I am so changing my name when I get my own house.

"David Dragonite..." It has a certain ring to it.

You can't deny it! You know you can't!

Andrew
17th November 2008, 05:18 PM
If any of my students have a Pokemon name, I'm going to be a massive jerk to them.

You know, more than usual.

MToolen
17th November 2008, 05:24 PM
I think it'd be better to have a Pokémon surname than a first name. I could just imagine an orchestra fifty years from now, "That last bassoon solo was by Jigglypuff Pinkerton."

Heald
17th November 2008, 05:33 PM
There has to be someone out there who's surname is Mime.

Preferably a guy, because then he would be Mr. Mime.

That would be hilarious.

Lol, I just searched on Facebook, loads of them.

What a bunch of suckers.

Jeff
17th November 2008, 07:30 PM
What if one of them was named Mime Mime, and named their kid the same thing. They'd be Mr. Mime and the kid would be Mime Jr.

Edit: I've been trying to remember this since I first saw this thread earlier. Evey, pronounced the same as Eevee, is a nickname for someone named Evelyn. I always get a chuckle out of that when I watch the Mummy movies.

Knight of Time
17th November 2008, 08:14 PM
Oddly enough, since this topic now seems to be open to first names, I happen to recall one of my friends has a cat that they named Pikachu, which was quite a surprise.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
17th November 2008, 10:44 PM
I'm repeating my own thread here.

Remoraid (Japanese: テッポウオ Teppouo)

Clefairy (Japanese: ピッピ Pippi)

Teppo is a Fnnish boy's name and Pippi Longstocking (Swedish Pippi Lĺngstrump) a heroine form a Swedish children's book series. It seems you can get closer now.

PancaKe
17th November 2008, 10:50 PM
Everyone knows Pippi Longstockings!

I think of pokemon whenever I hear the name Misty. Like that swimmer in the 2000 Olympics or something, from America. *shrugs*

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th November 2008, 12:13 AM
I think of pokemon whenever I hear the name Misty. Like that swimmer in the 2000 Olympics or something, from America. *shrugs*

I feel the same when I watch (I don't read it in English) Lord Of The Rings because there are Misty Mountains. Fortunately her Japanese name Kasumi appears in Dead Or Alive series and Ranma1/2, and I forget some others possibly, too, so Pokemon isn't the only connotaiton. And when I was in the army, I named my assault rifle Kasumi!

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
18th November 2008, 05:38 AM
I tried to find some people who could have German Pokémon names but honestly the only one that came close was the surname "Sandam". Sandamer is German for Sandslash.

By the way, isn't one of the old dudes in the Muppet Show called Stantler? ^^;

MToolen
18th November 2008, 08:41 AM
No, that's Statler, without an "n". Statler and Waldorf. It was a good effort, though.

Knight of Time
18th November 2008, 09:33 AM
Funny, each time I think about the group The Statler Brothers, it always makes me chuckle, if they were instead the Stantler Brothers, you'd almost think they were really the Pokemon Stantler, lol.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
18th November 2008, 11:08 PM
Sorry if I'm babbling about a subject I already commented on, but with the name 'Misty', among other similar connections between English language and English Pokemon names, the connotation is even stronger when English isn't your mother tongue, I can tell. Especially little kids may have learned the word 'mist' AFTER seeing the first Pokemon ep. Silimilarly, I'm forgetting how to spell the world 'polygon' though it should be rather easy to distinguish. The problem is that it's hard to remember which letter has been changed between an English word and a Pokemon name.