PDA

View Full Version : Painful things

Asilynne
21st November 2008, 03:21 PM
Since people are associating painful things theyve done as stupid things, I figured Id make a new topic so that the purely stupid things can stay in the stupid topic lol

Also I just had a painful thing happen to me which could have been avoided if I wasnt so oblivious to my own mortality >.> ANYWAY ON TO THE PAIN!\
Put anything here that youve done that resulted in a painful experience for you, were talking broken bones, sprained things, hitting your head on a coffee table as a kid and requiring stitches *looks at all the boys* anything from your childhood or recently!

Mine is from my childhood, my mom told me to come downstairs and since I wasnt going fast enough for her she started counting to ten and said if I wasnt down by ten I couldnt go to the skate party of one of my friends that day (I was 6). I could tell even if I ran I wouldnt make it by 10 so I jumped from the top of the stairs down to the bottom and sprained my ankle really bad. Needless to say I didnt get to go to the party >.> lol

And something just a few mins ago, I was playing with my roommates big german shephard and he charged at me when I was bent over picking up his play toy and he slammed into my nose so hard that I bled all over the front of me and it took 5 mins to stop the bleeding. I dont think its broken though :D and the bleeding has stopped now, it just really really hurts >.o

Share your painful stories! lol

Mystic_clown
21st November 2008, 03:33 PM
I've got a couple.

The first took place during a family holiday in the mountains, where it was snowing. We had just gone skiing and we were heading back to our cabin. Now, there's a slope going down to the cabins and we still had our skates. The trick to slowing down didn't work so much as I came sliding down into a set of trees. I think I hot a low branch or a stump of something because next thing I knew I was on the ground rolling and came to a stop just before hitting a drain. I didnt get any injuries, and strangely enough my first words were "woah" followed by dizzy laughter :S

A second was much more recent. At my old house there was a park nearby where we used to play. Now, I was going for a walk one day and there was a woman playing with her labrador. Now, she through the ball and it went over my head. The dog decided I wasn't there and instead of going around ran straight through me. One minute I was walking, the next I was on my back. I'm always skittish with big dogs running full pelt at me now.

Drago
21st November 2008, 03:37 PM
First thing that sprang to mind for me was the time I was crawling around in a blanket at a friend's place (I was 9ish, I guess) and fell backwards down the stairs.
One of the scariest times in my life, actually. Yeah it was carpeted, but I was alternating in perfect form between landing on my ass and head in this blanket in a slow, sick and quite symmetrical tumble. Worst part was the wooden floor at the bottom, but by then I was just relieved to have stopped. No real injuries, either.

classy_cat18
21st November 2008, 03:40 PM
I took a spill while ice skating twice. First time I landed on my ass. Second time it was a trip-and-dive on my face. On ice. While worrying about the blades twice. Painful, scary, and cold.

mr_pikachu
21st November 2008, 04:14 PM
I took a spill while ice skating twice. First time I landed on my ass. Second time it was a trip-and-dive on my face. On ice. While worrying about the blades twice. Painful, scary, and cold.

Only twice? I've only ice skated once, but I toppled over at least a dozen times that day. (It was still pretty fun.)

I've been pretty lucky in terms of avoiding serious injuries, although a few years ago my martial arts instructor nearly broke my arm during a routine demonstration. (I ended up with an impaction injury - basically, my joint was smashed to the very verge of breaking, but it didn't actually snap. So I still had my elbow in a sling for six weeks.) We'd probably done that exact technique together a hundred times before (seriously), but the one time he went too far made me miss my black belt test... had to wait almost a year for my next chance.

Ghost
21st November 2008, 04:50 PM
Repost from the stupidity topic I suppose, but hey, why not.

On a kickoff return in Football I broke my pelvis. Not shocking, is it? Well that's not the end of it.

The funny thing is, I didn't even get hit. I fielded the ball in the end zone and decided it would be better to take a knee. I decided to take a knee and when i went to stand back up, Foot slips from behind me and I hear a crack. I try to get back up but to no avail, it was far too painful. I had to get carried off a stretcher and go to the hospital

It turns out that when my foot slipped from behind me the upper part of my pelvis on the right side cracked. I couldn't walk for around 3 weeks. It healed in about 6 weeks and I got to play the last few games of the season though. Just goes to show you, instead of being a panzy and taking a knee you should probably go and get tackled instead

Shadow Wolf
21st November 2008, 05:09 PM
I remember a few:

1-I was on a beach playing with a mini-surfboard on the sand (barely wet, but with enough water to slide). I tried to slide with chest on the surfboard and ended up doing a front flip with all my body...except my head, which was buried in the sand. Neck pain for three days but no injuries.

2-Trying to cheer a friend of mine, I was jumping with some slick slippers when I landed on my feet and on that instant, trip and fall on my butt. He made some good laughing out of that one.

3-and keeping up the slippers theme, I was on a local basketball game when I decided to run with slippers again. And once again, Slip...fly...fall...on my back. All that to have a 300 people crowd laugh at me while I suffered from headache and a good pain in the back. Cool thing: None one helped me.

MToolen
21st November 2008, 05:40 PM
A few years back, I tried to impress a girl by climbing up a doorframe. I never was very bright at that sort of thing. As Heald would say, I'm pants at it. In any case, I fell flat on my back a good 6 feet down. Miraculously enough, 5 minutes of sitting down and I was fine.

PancaKe
21st November 2008, 06:09 PM
When I was three, I wanted to see what would happen if I rode my tricycle down a flight of concrete stairs.

Pichu Luver
21st November 2008, 06:36 PM
Heh, I have lots.

When I was five I was running around my grandma's house. My mom and granny probably told me to slow down but of course I didn't. I tripped and cracked my head off the wooden post at the end of the couch. I don't remember it but my mom said I screamed pretty damn loud. *smacks sis as she says that explains so much*

Next was when I was eleven and I was carrying china plates and doing some sort of weird jig/jog on our gravel driveway. I tripped on something, never knew what and fell. Got a big arse gash just below the kneecap, but ironically the plates were fine. ¬¬''' Got eleven stitches for that one. Oddly enough the driveway was paved the next summer.

Last one was when I was 19 and involved a horse. I just got my butt on the horse and he just exploded or something. He started bucking like mad and I fell off. Then the lovely bugger proceeded to kick me instead of running away. Ended up he got me in the face, (I was wearing a helmet but it don't protect that, lol) nicked me in a few other places and stepped on my thigh as he finally took off. Broke my nose, right hand, left cheek bones and cracked my eye socket. Got a couple stitches too. Lots a bruises and the one on my leg was bad enough they could see the imprint of the hoof on the x-ray. One good thing, couldn't feel a thing in my face. My leg hurt a hell of a lot but the nerves in the lower left of my face were all like 'what f**k was that? Screw this, we need a vacation thank you very much.' *cough* Wouldn't know I'd been kicked now. Nerves are alright too, just the lower left of my nose the area around it is kind of funky.

First thought? 'Huh, the movies got it right.' (about the blood coming out of my nose)
First thing I said? "I'm ok!" XD

Jeff
22nd November 2008, 06:15 PM
When I was little, I was in my parents' room playing on their bed with my sister and friend. We stood at the foot of the bed and then fell backwards, we thought it was hilarious. It wasn't very funny though, when I missed the bed and hit my head on the corner of my dad's nightstand. I remember having to wear a big bandage on my head after that, which sucked because I had to wear it to a birthday party at McDonald's. I don't remember if it was my party or a friend's, heck I don't remember much at all from back then.

Crystal Mew
22nd November 2008, 07:39 PM
Oh lets see. Here are a few of my painful memories:

-running into the hinge of the closet door when I was 6. blood everywhere, and had to go to the ER to get my head taped (it was going to get stitches but the dr didnt want it to scar so badly. thanks DR!!!! though I still have a little scar from it, but eh)

- Playing the "hula hoop" game at camp. basically, there are 4-5 people in a giant hula hoop running a race...well I was the one in the back, and someone in the front kicked my knee in, and I fell, and they continued running...and dragged me a few feet. My whole kneecap was basically non existent, it hurt so bad, I could barely walk for awhile.

- Oh, stepping on my toe in a pool, and breaking it. I was playing water baseball, and was "running" to get the ball, and somehow my big toe curled under and I stepped down and snap! that hurt...and it still hurts every once in awhile, like when it starts getting colder. Unfortunately, my big toe is now bigger than my other one :(

- Jamming my thumn-twice- in volleyball. I was setting and only my thumb hit the ball. yeah ow, then a week later I did it again! took forever to heal, and it sucked cause it was my dominant hand. Ever since I did that, I can't serve the ball the way I used to anymore, it must be a self conscience thing? its annoying.

- brother throwing a boomerang at my face from 5 feet away. broke my glasses and gave me a black eye. hiswords before throwing: "samantha, watch out!" YEAH OK

Drago
23rd November 2008, 04:44 AM
Repost from the stupidity topic I suppose, but hey, why not.

On a kickoff return in Football I broke my pelvis. Not shocking, is it? Well that's not the end of it.

The funny thing is, I didn't even get hit. I fielded the ball in the end zone and decided it would be better to take a knee. I decided to take a knee and when i went to stand back up, Foot slips from behind me and I hear a crack. I try to get back up but to no avail, it was far too painful. I had to get carried off a stretcher and go to the hospital

It turns out that when my foot slipped from behind me the upper part of my pelvis on the right side cracked. I couldn't walk for around 3 weeks. It healed in about 6 weeks and I got to play the last few games of the season though. Just goes to show you, instead of being a panzy and taking a knee you should probably go and get tackled instead
I love this story. I always hated special teams, but I must note that my football injury wasn't even in a game, I got put out for the year early on in the season in practice, for crying out loud.
Got tackled in a live drill by one of the big dudes on the team, and landed on my leg with my ankle going the other way. No break, but enough tiny little fractures to mess me up pretty good.

But I mean seriously. Practice?? (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=frsId3goYYE)