PDA

View Full Version : The International [Club] (LV approved)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
4th December 2008, 03:17 AM
Welcome to The International Club, Super Mod approved by Lady Vulpix.

As you know, we used to have a huge variety of users from different countries here at TPM. I say used to have because so many users have left. But still, I think relatively many countries are represented. So this is a club for eveyone out there. There's no members' list, just come and post here.

This club has more than one purpose. If you want to know something about a certain country, this is the place for you. If you want to make your country better-known, tell us about it here. There's more, one purpose is to create first a list, then a map on TPMers around the world. The list will appear at the end of this starter post, and it'll be updated by Mikachu Yukitatsu. Anybody can suggest names to be added on the list.

You can also change the word 'country' to the word 'state' or 'province', because, for example, if you live in the USA, it may tell more about you.

Two questions for starters, but first, of course, state your whereabouts clearly, and then think of these:

1. What's special in your country/state? Something other countries/states haven't got or just what your country/state is known for?

2. What about false beliefs regarding your location? Is there something that is misunderstood commonly?

Aside these questions, you might want to do the following to enrich the discussion:

Don't be afraid of commenting on the information given by other participants in this thread. When someone brings on more of his or her knowledge, he or she surely wants you to comment. Also, don't forget to ask questions and answer other peoples'.

And now the list. I think it should include more than just the people who post under this thread, so if you know a TPMer's location and you are sure you can tell it, post it here. By 'if you are sure' I mean that if the location can be seen from the user's profile or has been posted somewhere. If you have some argument on the privacy issue, PM me or a mod or a supermod or post it here. And yet one more thing about the list, we should focus on the active TPMers, though I know it isn't a fixed consept.

The list is in alphabetical order:

Argentina
Lady Vulpix

Australia
Andrew
Crazy Elf Boy
Gavin Luper
Last Exile
mistysakura
PancaKe
shazza

Austria
Austrian ViceMaster Alex

Bahrain
Kyuuketsuki

Belgium
MeLoVeGhOsTs

Canada
Crystal Tears
Knight of Time
River

Finland
Mikachu Yukitatsu

Great Britain
Cheesey
Chris 2.0
Heald
Kris
Little_Pikachu
Ultimate Charizard
Weasel Overlord

Malaysia
darktyranitar

New Zealand
firepokemon

Puerto Rico
Shadow Wolf

Singapore
Dark-San
Roarkiller

The USA

Alabama
classy_cat18

Colorado
Starry Might

Illinois
MToolen

Maryland
Jeff

Massachusetts
Zak

New Jersey
Blademaster

New Mexico
Crystal Mew

Oklaholma
mr_pikachu

Pennsylvania
Fett One

Texas
Drusilla
homeofmew
Katie
Roy Karrde

Virginia
Asilynne
Kuro_Espeon
Link_10
Master Rudy
MewtwoD2
Raz
RedStarWarrior
Shaka

Lady Vulpix
4th December 2008, 06:15 AM
Thanks for reviving the club!
I'd like to learn the answers to these questions regarding Finland.

1. What's special in your country/state? Something other countries/states haven't got or just what your country/state is known for?
I think my country's known mostly for its meat and it's football players. Funny thing, I'm not interested in either. In some places it's known for tango, but that's mainly a tourist attraction these days. But milk jam was created here, as well as some important vaccines and the public urban bus (colectivo). The ballpoint pen was also invented here, although the creator was Hungarian (he came to Argentina escaping the nazis). We also have the widest river (Río de la Plata, which we share with Uruguay), the longest avenue (Rivadavia) and the widest avenue (9 de Julio).

2. What about false beliefs regarding your location? Is there something that is misunderstood commonly?
Where shall I begin? Some people mix up Argentina with Brazil. Some think this is a tropical island. Some believe everyone here has brown skin. And some people were very surprised when they found out I was Jewish (apparently the thought of Jewish people in Argentina is alien to them). Some people think everyone here knows how to dance tango, and I've heard people say they thought we danced it on the streets everywhere. Someone thought we didn't have pizzas, and someone else thought we didn't have cinemas/movie theaters. In the movies, I've seen my city depicted as a small town in the jungle. :o And also a reference to a diamond mine, when we don't have any. And the worst part? I've heard people say they didn't want to come to Argentina because they thought it was too dangerous.

Who's next?

Heald
4th December 2008, 07:12 AM

Um, we're fast becoming a fascist state, we have an unelected government, which normally would get a country expelled from any body such as the EU or whatever, but apparently it's fine as long as you're one of the richest countries in the world. On a lighter note, we have good beer I guess.

Well one false belief is our country being called Great Britain, as you've named it. In fact, it is actually the United Kingdom. Great Britain is merely a part of the United Kingdom.

Jeff
4th December 2008, 08:01 AM
Yay it's back! Great idea breaking the US down by state since they really do have cultural differences. I remember some foreigners coming here seeing how people here liked crabs and thought all Americans were like that. I had to tell them it was just a Maryland thing.

Crabs, crab cakes, crab dip. I'm starting to sound like Bubba from Forest Gump here, but yeah, Maryland is known for seafood, particularly Blue Crabs. We have these small restaurants on the water called crab houses. If you go there and order crabs, they'll spread out a piece of thick paper on your table, put out a tray of steamed crabs, and give out wooden mallets and knives to everyone. Most of the time, if you ask the waiter/waitress, they'll tell you how to open them and pick the meat out. Mind you, they don't have to be trained to do this, this is a skill every Marylander knows. I learned when I was 8. It's mostly tourists that go to crab houses though, locals usually eat crabs at home, at someone else's house, or at a crab feast, a public function put on by some local organization.

Another thing that we're known for is Baltimore, the state's largest city. It's home to our two major sports teams, the Orioles and Ravens. It's also known for having some of the best hospitals in the world. The most famous, of course, is Johns Hopkins.

People think we're obsessed with crabs for some reason.:P Actually, the one thing I've noticed is that people think we're all about crab cakes, which are patties made out of crab meat, bread crumbs, mustard, and crab seasoning (probably some stuff I missed, I don't know how to make them personally). Crab cakes are pretty popular, but most people here consider the crabs themselves to be a more major part of local culture than crab cakes.

Another thing I can think of is on the radio, one time, they were talking about stereotypes of Maryland because a bunch of people from New Jersey have to move here because of BRAC. The New Jersians didn't want to come here because they thought we were all stuck up. They also joked about how everyone here wore flip-flops everywhere, even in the winter, and that everyone wears collared shirts with the collar flipped up. I've only seen the flipped collar thing once, and occasionally see flip-flops outside of the beach. They're definitely not worn in the winter.

Zak
4th December 2008, 05:31 PM
How dare you not include me in that list... hah, I'm from Massachusetts, BTW.

Eh... a lot of things.
-Thanksgiving just passed, and those who know the true story of Thanksgiving know that it started here.
-Basketball originated here as well, hence the hall of fame being here.
-Also on the subject of sports, the Patriots which almost always win.
-Weed was just legalized here (sort of, well, less severe penalties)
-Both a governor and senator from here ran in the last two elections.
-My TOWN apparently is the safest city in America according to statistics.

I'll add more if I think of anything.

The only thing I can think of is people used to assume anyone from here was a flaming liberal and are the only ones who hated Bush without a solid reason.

Weasel Overlord
4th December 2008, 05:45 PM
Bored. Also, Ultimate Charizard is from England, too. :)

1. What's special in your country? Something other countries haven't got or just what your country is known for?
Lessee, we have very unique comedy/films going on. Most notably, Black Books, Red Dwarf, Spaced, Simon Pegg films in general, and many others that I dunno.
YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS! Yeah, that's what the rest of the world doesn't have. And blackcurrants. I found out recently that America isn't allowed to grow them! WTF. This does explain why most Americans I talk to have no idea what a blackcurrant is. Tasty, that's what.
Oh, I'd also say that Brits are known for having a "stiff upper lip" I guess. Or at least for being posh and drinking lots of tea. And being reserved, and not to mention complaining about the weather, food, anything really. We do like our complaining! You'll actually find, too, that students are probably the most prolific tea-drinkers in the country. XD Nowt like a good cuppa! (nice bit of Yorkshire dialect for ya, there).

We in the North do not work down mines. Yorkshire is not "out in the sticks" with nothing but fields - we actually DO have cities here and there, lol. Also, those of you who have heard of a little town called Dewsbury because of the recent shenannigans going on there... well, that's where I live. Hurrah. However, despite what the news may say, it's not actually that bad. Just gets bad press lately because a few bad things happened near to each other (kidnapping was one, uhh death another I think).

classy_cat18
4th December 2008, 06:13 PM
By the way, mr_pikachu is currently in Indiana.

I'm from Alabama in case you didn't see the Location part of my profile.

I guess you could count the world's biggest cast iron statue special. The Vulcan statue in Birmingham was built in 1904 and was once known as a sort of traffic campaign. If the torch that used to be in his hand was red, then there was a traffic fatality that day. Otherwise, it was green. It represents our position as a major provider of steel. We also have one of the biggest malls in the Southeast (Riverchase Galleria).

And Birmingham's the hometown of two American Idols, as well as a runner-up (although no one hears about them anymore).

Most importantly, Alabama was a hotspot of civil rights activity in the 1960's and is home to the Civil Rights Institute, which is located in the same district as Kelly Ingram Park and the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church.

It is not true that Alabama's full of rednecks and idiots, even if we're largely Republic.

mr_pikachu
4th December 2008, 06:21 PM
By the way, mr_pikachu is currently in Indiana.

Let's leave it as Oklahoma, since I still technically reside there as well. Nicer area.

Uh... until this year, my state was one of the very, very few to lack a professional sports team. (Arena football doesn't count; I mean a team in a major sport. Baseball, basketball, football, futbol....) The Oklahoma City Thunder just came to town, though. Just in time for me to leave. ;_;

Also: The musical Oklahoma was about my state. Duh.

Many people think Oklahoma is this flat, dusty frontier with red dirt. In really, it's actually a lot more lush than other states I've visited. ...Well, some parts are filled with hills and greenery, at least. I've heard that west Oklahoma (especially the panhandle) is much closer to the stereotype, although I've never been there myself.

darktyranitar
5th December 2008, 01:45 AM
We're well known for our hospitality - I've heard some tourist giving thumbs up for the locals during their stay here. And they loved the food as well.

(but they also complained that we have the dirties toilets around. And you know it's serious when the govenment comes out with an ad: behold, the silliness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C70mPbaTwA))

Um, we also have some beautiful tourist spots. Oh, not the forget the Petronas Twin Tower (which was, at one time, the tallest skyscraper... IIRC, the tallest one at the time being is the one in Taipei). You could shop for cheap items here too: just watch out for the pirates (the bootleggers, I mean).

But perhaps one of the most unique thing is our cultural interaction. You can see this from the 'open door' policy mantained during religious festivals: all of Malaysia's communities (compromised of four main group: Malay, Chinese, Indian, and the tribal people) open their doors for members of other community. We're surprisingly tolerant of each other (although the Muslim community is particularly sensitive regarding questions on Islam). And practically every religious festival is national holiday, yay =D

Malaysia is a relatively safe country; we are free from major natural disasters (eg earthquake, volcano eruption, or tornado), and man-made disasters such as war or political turmoil (I know some Malaysian are complaining that the political scene here is a little shaky after the last general election, but compared to our neighbours (Indonesia and Thailand) it's quite peaceful here)

Speaking of politic... Malaysian politician are one of a kind. Hehe.

Oh, and another interesting thing: in Malaysia, there are three states (Kedah, Kelantan, Terengganu) that have the weekend allocated for Friday and Saturday instead of the usual Saturday and Sunday (see, before the British came into Malaya (old name of Malaysia), the land was ruled by the Sultanate, which was based on the Islamic Laws. So, Friday was reserved for the Friday prayers. The Rulers in those three states refuse to accept some of the changes imposed by the British, it seems.)

I honestly haven't heard any misconception about Malaysia. I do know that at one time, people would refer to Malaysia as 'that country above Singapore', heh. I guess we're just not very well known =P

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th December 2008, 10:49 PM
OK, I'll tell you about Finland now. As far as I know, a variation of the word 'Finland' is used for our country in every language except ours. In Finnish, Finland is 'Suomi', and the origin of the word is unclear. 'Suo' is Finnish for bog, but likely there's no connection.

Finnish language is quite special in European standrards, though this can be argued. While English, German and even Swedish are Anglo-Saxon languages, French, Italian and Spanish are Romance languages, Russian is Slavonic, BUT Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language. Thus, in language kinship terms, Finnish isn't related to Swedish and it isn't related to Russian either. Finnish belongs to the same language group as Estonian, Ukrainian and Hungarian.

In Finnish language, nouns, adjectives, numerals and pronouns are called 'nominit' and, instead of prepostions that are found in English language, all of them are inflected in various 'sijamuodot', called 'cases' according to my dictionary. Plus, some word groups have extra cases like all the Finnish adjectives have comparatives and superlatives, and words like 'more' and 'most' aren't used as much as in English.

Writing Finnish 'correctly' is a double-edged sword. Pronunciation is extremely logical, but one of the problems are words called 'yhdyssanat', compoud words. These days, many Finns, even those who aren't exposed to English that much, just can't write compound words in traditional way. See, I could go on forever with the language aspect, better move on.

Finland and Iceland can be counted as 'the northernmost' countries in the world. Norway, Russia, Canada and others do have more nothern parts, but their 'central area' with the most population is more in the south. Above the Arctic Circle, the most notable sight is that in midsummer, the sun never sets, whereas in midwinter, the sun stays below the horizon. The Gulf Stream keeps Finlamd warm, and we have had some winters with relatively little snow during the last decade, some blame the greenhouse phenomenon.

Finland is famous for its forests and lakes. Due to only 5,000 000 inhabitants spread over 300,000 square km, in less-populated areas the distances are long and nature seems untouched. Even the capital city Helsinki may look like a forest when we compare the trees we see in some other capitals around the world.

It's quite easy to abuse Finnish mentality. They say Finns are uncommunicative, reserved, ill-mannered, uncivilized, xenophobic and rude. For example, if we are asked 'Tea or coffee?' we reply with just with the word for tea or the word for coffee and no word like 'please' is used, we find it hard to say 'Tea, please.' even when we speak English. That's believed to be because of Finland's isolated location, surrounded by seas in the west and south. We do have some land border between Finland and Sweden, Finland and Norway and Finland and Russia, but those areas are low in population.

The most well-known positive aspect of Finnish nature is 'sisu', roughly translated as 'stamina'. 'Workaholic' is an adjective often used, but many of us disagree. And as you can see from this post as well, we are also really, really modest, heh?

Finns have some strange customs, like being completely naked in sauna and leaving shoes to the porch.

Just as if this wasn't enough, I'll perhaps tell more later.

Lady Vulpix
6th December 2008, 06:25 PM
I found most Finnish people very nice and helpful. Although some of them acted nice when they were with someone and then talked badly about that person behind his/her back after s/he left. But I wouldn't believe that's a National tradition (it would be quite bad if it were).

Faiz... your nested parentheses have reminded me of university just when I wanted a break from it. :P But it was nice to learn more about Malaysia. I did know about the Petronas towers. Is it true that a contest was held in order to build them?

darktyranitar
7th December 2008, 11:48 AM
It is? Hehe, I guess it is quite long...

Well, to be honest, I'm not actually wholly familiar with the history of the tower... except that it was made to boost confidence and self-respect of Malaysia. I haven't heard anything about a contest being held, though.

Asilynne
10th December 2008, 02:35 AM
Kuro_Espeon, MewtwoD2, Master Rudy, Link_10 and Shaka all live here too lol
I live in Virginia, and its known for a lot of things XD Home of many US presidents including the first one George Washington, and we are known for Virginia Ham (yummeh). Virginia has the richest county in the country(Loudon county) and since where I live is so close to DC a lot of gov workers live here. A lot of civil war battles took place here too, and all growing up I was forced...I mean, I went to all the manassas battlefield things lol Theres a lot of history here and you cant go anywhere without running into a historical marker. What else...also some pretty scary stuff happened here in my lifetime, the VT shooting and the DC sniper attacks rocked us pretty bad :< Part of the movie Deep Impact was actually filmed on a street that runs near my house lol and if you play Fallout 3 you may run through parts of VA :D
Oh and its a big joke in VA to make fun of WV, always has been. If anyone says anything bad about VA usually we ll say "No thats far from true, were not west virginia!!" lol

A big false belief from some people who are north of the mason-dixon line is that people from VA are hicks or hillbillies....when in fact the people in my area dont have anything close to a southern accent. Another one is that we are all farmers which isnt true (although there are some farms as you get further south). I actually dont know any other misconceptions, I never really hear anyone talk about VA in too bad of a way ^-^()

Jeff
12th December 2008, 10:08 AM
RedStarWarrior and Raz both live in VA too, granted, Raz isn't that active anymore.

Maryland is kind of in the same boat with people up north thinking we're all hicks because we're south of the Mason-Dixon line, but southerners also think we're northern because we didn't secede. The truth is we're mixed like Virginia. The Baltimore-Washington area is considered more northern, while the more rural parts are southern.

I remember the DC sniper attacks, they even affected us here, some 40 miles east of DC. It was scary, no one knew where they were going to hit next. And due to the fact that the shootings started in Maryland, they got our attention pretty early on.

A couple other misconceptions about us: The Mason-Dixon Line isn't the line drawn between the north and south during the civil war. It's actually the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, and Maryland and Delaware. Maryland's nickname "The Old Line State" has nothing to do with the Mason-Dixon Line though. It actually refers to a group of Revolutionary War troops who were affectionately referred to by George Washington as his "old line".

MToolen
12th December 2008, 03:49 PM
I knew about the Mason-Dixon line. Two surveyors (their names are Mason and Dixon for those of you playing at home) drew it out because of inter-state disputes.

But onto my lovely state, I suppose.

Well, we do have Chicago, though I don't always like to claim it. We also have a ridiculous amount of highways. Madison County is where I live; close to St. Louis, it is currently not only Horseradish Capital of the World but also still notorious for medical malpractice lawsuits. Businesswise, we have steel mills and the world's third-largest oil refinery, the latter being less than a mile from my house. We also have the Lewis and Clark starting point and Cahokia Mounds (a large collection of burial mounds left behind by a lost civilization).

Illinois is not, in fact, made up only of Chicago and its suburbs. Not everyone in Illinois likes Chicago. Also, most Illinoisans outside of Chicago are not farmers.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
13th December 2008, 12:20 AM
I added the persons Asilynne and Jeff mentioned, but I know it isn't like we can put every single TPMer on the list.

Virginia
Asilynne
Kuro_Espeon
Link_10
Master Rudy
MewtwoD2
Raz
RedStarWarrior
Shaka

Lady Vulpix
14th December 2008, 11:27 AM
Hey, Mikachu! Any plans for future questions? Can other members post questions too?

Pichu Luver
14th December 2008, 04:02 PM
My sis, CT has input here as well.

-Um… we have both French and English on most everything sold in stores. If it doesn’t, it can’t be sold in Québec. I never really thought about until recently when I heard someone from the States saying they were going to buy a can of soda (we call it pop, rarely soda) because they had both languages on it. Lol. We take French until Grade 9, after that most drop it.
-There’s also the snow thing. I live in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) If we get (or its coming) a major snow storm it will take up a minimum of 15 minutes on the news. Though, we don’t get truckloads of the stuff. The East coast is known for that. Usually it’s enough to have everyone complain, say they hate winter… but if we get too little everyone wonders what’s wrong.
-Maple syrup I suppose, least were known for it. Um Toronto has the CN Tower (but it’s not as interesting as you think…). We have the largest mall in North America, West Edmonton Mall (in Alberta). Poutine rocks as well ^^, heart attack on a plate (its fries covered in cheese and gravy).
-Least in Ontario it’s common to call the USA ‘the States’, not sure if that’s done elsewhere.
-Yes we say eh, but not after every sentence. ¬¬’’’ It’s not as common as it used to be, and I can only speak for Ontario.
-Canadian’s are known to be polite. I think it’s true, but it feels like were loosing it. Though, Toronto is a pretty safe city for its size.

-Everyone does not speak French. I can sorta read it, but I can’t speak it too well. Northern Ontario, Québec, and parts of the East coast can speak it fluently but most of the country can’t. The common words sure, but don’t expect to hold a conversation.
-Canada is not all mountains, trees and rocks; contrary to the song. ^^’’’ Nor is it always winter even waaaaay up north in the territories.
-The aboriginals who live up north are called the Inuit, not Eskimos. It’s offensive if you call them that so… don’t.
-Everyone I knew growing up has skated at least once, but we don’t all play hockey. I only watch the Olympic hockey (it doesn’t help the Leaf’s suck --‘’’)
-Canada is not the 51st state. Say that here and you will get your ass kicked.
-Ottawa is the capital, not Toronto.

Best quote I’ve ever heard to describe Canada:

"In Canada we have more than a passing familiarity with confusion. We're comprised of 10 provinces and three territories communicating across 6 time zones in 2 official languages. The English don't understand the French, the French don't understand the English, and the Inuit quite frankly couldn't give a damn about either of them. Added to the equation is the Assembly of First Nations, with a total of 633 separate Indian bands, speaking 180 sub-dialects among their 50 linguistic groups; and as if that weren't enough there are some fishermen on the East coast with a remarkably whimsical accent."

PancaKe
14th December 2008, 08:24 PM
That list is very informative. For the longest time, I thought that both mrpikachu and shonta were from england. XD Who knows why really.

What's NOT special about Australia more like it? We have a lot of stupid things that are special though. So what there's a really big rock we just haven't bothered to knock down in the middle of the country? Haha. I'll make youse a list of all the special stuff australia has to offer you all:

- Ayres Rock (Uluru)
- Sydney Opera House
- Sydney Harbor Bridge
- Kangaroos
- Some stuff in Canberra (parliment house/mint)
- The Big Banana at Coffs Harbor
- Koalas
- The zoo! we have two of them. One you get to drive around.
- Beaches! With Sand!
- Good weather
- Melbourne is okay I suppose.
- Us TPMers. We are clearly the highlight of Australia.
- the ghetto. Just come to my house. :P

OH YES! THANK YOU.

Ok let me make it clear. We do not keep kangaroos as pets. And kangaroos do not wander around our cities randomly like stray dogs. In fact, I have never seen a wild Kangaroo in Sydney. I saw one 1 1/2 hours from Sydney once (well, 1 1/2 hours from the middle of Sydney, it was just 1/2 hour from my house) but even then, that was just an emu. And that was scary enough.

We think kangaroos are pests.

Ummmmmmmmmm yeah I hate getting asked "do you keep kangaroos as pets?" It's gay.

That is all I think. Any other misconceptions?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
14th December 2008, 10:55 PM
Hey, Mikachu! Any plans for future questions? Can other members post questions too?

All right. Sorry I didn't mention it in the first post, but anybody can post questions. Just make sure we don't have too many questions at a time. As for myself, I don't have any good ideas right now, I have been a bit lazy with the club, perhaps.

One thing I'd like to find is a copyright-free world map to use here. It should have the country borders and preferably also the borders of the states in the USA.

Jeff
14th December 2008, 11:37 PM
Good, 'cause my growling stomach is giving me an idea.

What kinds of foods to people eat where you live?

I mentioned crabs already, but when they're not in season, we have other things that are popular. The only local foods I can think of are crab-based things. Crab cakes I already described, I guess since they're always available at local restaurants unlike straight-up crabs, that's what leads to the misconception about them being our main food. Crab cakes can be eaten either by themselves with crackers or on a roll. There's also cream of crab soup, which is a creamy soup with crab meat in it.

My favorite is crab dip though. That has crab meat, mayonnaise, and of course, this stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning), which is a vital ingredient in every crab-based recipe in Maryland. That's topped with cheddar cheese and is eaten with crackers, it's awesome.

Old Bay is used in other things too. There are chips (uh, or "crisps" depending on your country) called "crab chips" that are sold here that are seasoned with it. Also, if you go to our local beach, Ocean City, and get fries from the boardwalk, don't put ketchup on them or you'll get a funny look. The preferred stuff to put on them is Old Bay and vinegar.

Lady Vulpix
15th December 2008, 04:58 PM
Most people eat beef in some form or other with just about every meal, occasionally replaced by some other kind of meat like chicken or, more rarely, fish or pork. Like my brother, who says it's not food if it doesn't have meat. But he says that to mock me because I'm a vegetarian.

It's common for some people to eat soup as a starter (although in the northern provinces they eat soup as a second course instead), or else salad or some other cold starter which I always skip when they're served (at parties and big dinners, that is; we don't eat starters at home). Hot starters are rarely found, but I eat them every now and then.

Common main courses include pasta, rice, potatoes and/or green vegetables prepared in various ways. There are other options, of course. In Salta, half the meals are made with corn. There are typical meals like locro, puchero, empanadas and asado, which I can describe if anyone is interested. And some regions of the country have their own foods (like tamales and humitas in the northwest -I love humitas-, or smoked deer in the southern Andes :(). Another option is pizza (we have many varieties), and there's also seafood, fast food (copied from the USA) , our own Chinese food (because the Chinese make up different recipies in different countries, using the local ingredients) or food from other countries. Although the most common meals are a mixture of Spanish and Italian cooking.

As for desserts, we have flan, bread pudding, rice with milk (I love this), cheese and jam (typical dessert, I fail to see what's so good about it), milk jam, pancakes, ice-cream (there are some amazing ice-creams here), and many others.

Argentineans normally eat 4 meals a day: breakfast, lunch, merienda (may translate loosely to tea) and dinner. Lunch and dinner are often the largest meals (although I've been having very light dinners ever since I returned from Finland, I got used to skipping dinner there).

Breakfast and tea are generally sweet (although bread or crackers with cheese are a rather common option). It's usually a combination of some of the following: tea, coffee, mate, milk, fruit juice (mainly orange), yoghurt, cereal, bread (or toast), crackers, cookies, pastries, fruits (orange, apple, tangerine, banana, peach, plum, honeydew, watermelon, etc.), jam, cheese, butter, cream and -more rarely- honey. But no one eats all of that at once, of course! :P

And we also have some snacks to have at random times. And we have alfajores, which everyone who comes from abroad seems to love (they're basically cookies stuck together with milk jam -or alternate filling- and coated with chocolate or sugar).

Crazy Elf Boy
23rd December 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi guys, i ressurected myself from the dead to post in this topic

-Kevin Rudd: Yeh yeh w/e you can speak Mandarin but you were raised in NAMBOUR so there HAH.
-Vegemite: Watching Foreigners eating it for the first time is classic
-Me: Well of course
-Not caring about what is happening in the world
-Home of the Biggest eveything

-We don't all talk like Crocodile Dundee
-Most people dont wear singlets and no shirts
-We dont have BBQ's every weeekend
-We dont drink all the time (We use Tuesdays to recover)

Lady Vulpix
23rd December 2008, 12:23 PM
Funny, CEB. Except that I don't think not caring about what happens in the world is a good thing. And I thought Brazil had the biggest everything. At least they keep saying everything they have is "o mais grande do mundo" (the biggest in the world).

Crazy Elf Boy
23rd December 2008, 08:52 PM
To date I think Australia has

-The Biggest Island
-The Biggest Rock
-The Biggest Cow
-The Biggest Pineapple
-The Biggest Shrimp
-The Biggest Banana

and I can't think of anything else after that

Mikachu Yukitatsu
24th December 2008, 12:39 AM
Hi guys, i ressurected myself from the dead to post in this topic

Impossible! Welcome back! I added you to Australia, since you're active now.

Everyone must be waiting for me to post about Finnish cuisine, but I'm not an expert with food, so I'm sorry.

I have a question though: What state is Bulbasaur4's location now?

Heald
24th December 2008, 06:28 AM
-The Biggest Shrimp
-The Biggest Banana
I've been to this shrimp thingie! And I got a photo of it, maybe with me standing in front of it. I might try and dig it up.

Fett One
2nd January 2009, 03:19 PM
I’m from Pennsylvania. Philadelphia is probably our most important city. Besides being the home of the 2008 World Series Champions (The Phillies) it is also the home of the Liberty Bell, steak sandwiches, pretzels, root beer, Ben Franklin, the original capital of our country, and where the bill of rights was signed. This is just some of the things Philadelphia is known for. Pennsylvania is also home to Pittsburg, which is the steel capital of the country. We also have the Amish here in PA as well.

A common misconception is that the Amish don’t use technology. They do use technology for business purposes. They have computers so they can do business online (so they can reach more customers and thus make more money), they use air-conditioning/heaters because they know that tourist hate the heat/cold, and they use phones to conduct long distance business as well as for medical emergencies. They enjoy having non-Amish neighbors because it means they can get their neighbor to give them a ride in a car, which lets them get where they are going faster than if they take a horse and wagon.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
29th January 2009, 06:14 AM

I live in Belgium. One of the smallest countries in the world, located between Germany, Luxemburg (which is smaller), the Netherlands and France. Our capital Brussels is the biggest city in the country and hosts the headquarters of the Europian Union (Belgium is one of the three founding fathers of the EU). Brussels also hosts internation organisations as the NATO.

The other major cities are Antwerp, which is known for it's port, diamond-industry (one of the largest) and just being large (on a belgian scale), Brugges which is the historical city of belgium, beautiful architecture from medieval times and Ghent.

We also have flat lands like in the netherlands, which are called 'polders'. Flanders is mostly flat, with some hills in West-flanders. Wallonia is mostly higher and with more 'mountains'. The ardennes are quite famous around here and are the highest point in Belgium (which isn't very high), but it's surrounded by woods, cliffs, waterfalls, and snow in the winter. A nice scenery and great if you like ski-ing.

The biggest problem is that we have three different languages. Dutch in Flanders(about 60% of the population), French in Wallonia (35-40%) and German in the east of the country next to germany (5%). It's been a trouble for ages, but it also makes us unique, combining Anglo-saxon and Romance languages in one petite country (it's very densly populated: 10,7 million inhabitants on 11,787 square miles).

It was the battlefield of Europe for ages, with the highlight at the first World War, where Ypres was the key of the resistance. Many memorial statues reside there and a national history museum.

Belgium is a constitutional monarchy, with a parliament. The king has a ceremonial function, but that's it. He also interferes when things get TO tense in the governement.

It's a very complex and bureaucratic political and law system, but I'll spare you the details. It sucks, but it actually gives us very wide liberties.

We can drive a car here at the age of 18 here (unlike america), but we can consume alcoholic beverages at 16, strong liquor like Whiskey, Cognac, etc. is at 18. Sixteen is also the age of conscent.

The most known fact about Belgium is: Beer. It's a beer country, it has more than 500 different kind of belgian beers brewed. We have Duvel, Westmalle, (8 alcohol) etc for heavy beers. Jupiler, Maes, Stella Artois, etc. for regular beers (5,5) Inbev is the largest brewery in the world and is based in Belgium.

Also Westvleteren (12) is rated the best beer in the world and it is a very nice beer, although if you're not used to drinking, you get drunk very fast. It's a heavy, dark beer, with an unique taste. You can only buy it at the abbey and you only get one box of 24 bottles per person per day, because the monks produce it themselves and otherwise they would run out.

We have a Bruges-beer-night once a year, where tourist from all over the globe gather to drink all sorts of different beers. You'll need to resist the alcohol in your blood for quite some time so it's not for people who aren't used to it. There were chinese, japanese, argentian and russian people. A mate off mine even went out with five americans he met over there and they praised belgian beers for life, it was hillarious, ofcourse they couldn't handle the alcohol;)

Other specialities of Belgium are food-related. Waffles for example. Loads of them with different toppings or just natural. I'm not to much a fan since I got sick once and yeah, never liked them much after that.

Another speciality are french fries. Why they call it that, why they don't give us the credit for it? God knows. French fries are, contrary to their name, made in Belgium. It's one of the largest part of our cuisine and it's my favorite food. Traditionally they get served with steak, or mussels.

We're mostly a meat-country, but have a wide variety of fish aswell. Belgian restaurants are great, you should check the Michellin guide.

EDIT: Forgot about the chocolate! Belgian chocolate is the best chocolate in the world, or so they say. Lot's of brands are belgian like for example Côte O'dor. Pralines are also a specialty here. Leonidas for example, highly valued chocolate pralines. Belgian chocolate is famous all over the globe, kinda like Swiss chocolate.

So basicly, a small country with life-enjoyers. The 'bourgundian' lifestyle is to eat and drink plenty, but while chilling. You like it, or you don't, but if you happen to drop by, I'll give you a tour.

Bush didn't even know where Belgium was, so I doubt that many people know much about it, to form misunderstandings. If there are any, you're free to tell me, and I'll reply honestly.

Perhaps now you'll notice my little country on the map someday.

Lady Vulpix
29th January 2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for posting! It's true that Belgium isn't normally on the news, but at least everyone knows it exists. One of my favorite writers was born there (Julio Cortázar).

On the other hand, one of Douglas Adams's books said that 'Belgium' was one of the worst swear words in the galaxy, but I'm sure that was a joke.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
30th January 2009, 02:18 AM
You know how I am around jokes.

Lady Vulpix
30th January 2009, 08:24 AM
Anyway, I've always heard that Swiss chocolate is the best in the world. I'd never heard of Belgian chocolate before. Have you tried them both? Can you compare them?

MToolen
30th January 2009, 08:51 AM
I got WWII strategy drilled into my head in high school history. Therefore, I can point Belgium out on the map but, unfortunately, know it as that country the Nazis steamrolled to get past the French Rhine defenses.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
30th January 2009, 10:16 AM
I did ate both and Belgian chocolate is sweeter compared to Swiss. It's hard to compare both since it's both good, but Toblerone (which is the most known swiss chocolate) is 'sturdier', and it tastes better when cold, unlike belgian chocolate which is more into pralines, or just different chocolatebars with lots of different flavours.

From what I know (and that isn't saying all that much), Swiss chocolate has a standard formula and is really good with a select number of options, whereas belgian chocolate is somewhat more 'experimental' and with a larger variety of choices/flavours.

Although you'd really need a professional to make a comparisation.

Perhaps you guys should Wiki? :D

Cheesey
31st January 2009, 01:05 PM
Anyway, I've always heard that Swiss chocolate is the best in the world. I'd never heard of Belgian chocolate before. Have you tried them both? Can you compare them?

Really? You've never heard of it? I recommend Belgian chocolate... I prefer it to Swiss. Having said that, it's not like I'm a connoisseur ;P.

Mmm, I feel a bit thick, I don't really know what to say about Scotland. I suppose the stereotype might be all about kilts, bagpipes, haggis and Sean Connery. As for stuff we have that other countries don't, I'm not really sure! I'm not hugely patriotic. We did invent and/or discover a lot of stuff though... Adhesive stamps, television, logarithms, criminal fingerprinting, golf, kaleidoscopes, digestive biscuits... I think they are all down to Scotland. I think. Yeah.

I suppose there are some people who think that England is a synonym for the UK whereas it's really only one of the UK's four countries. I'm not really sure what peoples' beliefs of Scotland are outwith the place, I haven't left it for several years now! Maybe that we are all like Groundskeeper Willie... Haha.

Crystal Mew
31st January 2009, 02:18 PM
I livei n New Mexico.

-GREEN CHILI!!!! Every time I go out of state I'm so sad that no other state ever has green chili. For example, the mc donalds here have green chili cheeseburgers, and I like to order a quarter pounder, plain except for the cheese and onions plus a side order of green chili...yum. Haha, I tried to order that once when I was 17 in chicago, they gave me the dumbest look ever. Every state should have green chili, and hardly anyone even knows what it is. sad.

We also have a balloon fiesta every year where hundreds of balloonists from all over the world come here for 2 weeks and show off their fancy hot air balloons

That New Mexico is not a state in America, but it is indeed part of Mexico. This is FALSE...its astonishing to have family members from ohio ask us "oh so how do you like living in another country?"

I mean really, come on. How did they all pass 5th grade without knowing all the states..

Lady Vulpix
4th February 2009, 03:51 PM
Mexico is a part of America too. Even a part of North America. Many people in your country seem to have the misconception that the term America applies to you alone. O_o

And Cheesey's back? Whoa, long time no see!

mr_pikachu
4th February 2009, 04:10 PM

That New Mexico is not a state in America, but it is indeed part of Mexico. This is FALSE...its astonishing to have family members from ohio ask us "oh so how do you like living in another country?"

o_0

I would call every one of your family members an idiot, but I'm afraid of retribution. So I'll play it safe.

...馬鹿 (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baka).

I'd like to post a new question. If you don't want me to do so, speak now or forever hold your peace.

*hears nothing from across the internet*

3. What is the worst part about your state? What's the one thing that you'd mention in a warning if someone were to visit?

Actually, I have two different answers for this. In my opinion, the worst part about Oklahoma is the wind. Seriously, it never stops. So annoying. There's a reason that Chicago's only #5 on the list of windiest cities in America, let me tell you.

What would be in my warning? The police. Specifically, traffic cops. That's sort of the one good thing about living here... you become so accustomed to keeping a watchful eye for all the traps that you never get caught speeding anywhere else. I have a cousin who joined the FBI a few years ago (I don't know what she does, but she was a police officer before that). Literally every single time she's ever visited my family, she's gotten a ticket.

Seriously, when I'm on the highway, I spend most of my time looking at the cars around me to see if they have tinted windshields (if not, I can quickly see the identities of the passengers) and whether their license plates match whatever state I'm driving through at the time. I also look for decals and stuff that likely wouldn't be on an unmarked police car, although I don't rely heavily on that since I started seeing unmarked cars with sirens blaring and decals across the back windshield tearing after offenders a few years ago.

These guys are good.

Dark-San
5th March 2009, 03:47 AM
I say used to have because so many users have left.

Nope, I did not leave. I just went AWOL for 2 months.

There are lots of icons that Singapore is famous for. Take for example, we have the Merlion fountain. Although it is under repair for quite some time because the cheeky lightning decided to strike it. We also have Changi Airport. One of the few world class airports you can find around in the world accompanied by SIA, Singapore International Airlines, a world class airline too.

We have one of the world's few busiest port around managed by PSA, Port of Singapore Authority. We also have the Singapore Eye that lately landed themselves into some mechanical problems back then in December.

And for this year alone, we would be opening our first two integrated resorts. One of them at Marina Bay and the other at Sentosa, containing the world's first Transformer Universal Studio when it opens. The list can go on and on but I am pretty sure many people here will catch the gist of it.

I only heard of two so far. One of them would be the foreigners who had never been to our country had always either mistaken us to be either part of Malaysia or Indonesia. For both cases, it would be a falsehood. We are an independent state run by a democratic elected government. We can also never blamed them as Singapore only occupy a small territory at the southern point of the Malayan Peninsular. And chances are that you will never spot us in the world map.

The other false belief is that we are a 'fine' country. 'Fine' here denotes to the monetary punishment melted out if you commit a crime. True to some point, that we are a strict country but then we don not go around fining people for pathetic things. Just respect the country that you visit and you will be safe. ^.^

Don't be afraid of commenting on the information given by other participants in this thread. When someone brings on more of his or her knowledge, he or she surely wants you to comment. Also, don't forget to ask questions and answer other peoples'.

Hmm nothing that I could think out at the moment but I will definitely come out with the questions once I think of them.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th March 2009, 05:02 AM
YAY DARKSAN IS BACK

I missed you *hug*

Jeff
5th March 2009, 01:56 PM
Mexico is a part of America too. Even a part of North America. Many people in your country seem to have the misconception that the term America applies to you alone. O_o

Actually, in English at least, the term "America" is short for "United States of America". The continents of North America and South America are collectively known as the Americas.

3. What is the worst part about your state? What's the one thing that you'd mention in a warning if someone were to visit?

The traffic, definitely. Being adjacent to DC, and having Baltimore just 45 miles from DC gives rise to one of the worst traffic situations in the country. I remember hearing that the Baltimore-Washington area is supposed to be 3rd of 4th worst metro area in the US in terms of traffic congestion. The Capital Beltway around DC and roads leading up to it are the worst. The Woodrow Wilson Bridge, which is part of the Capital Beltway, used to have only 3 lanes in each direction, but it was recently replaced it with a new bridge with 5 in each direction. The old bridge was famously demolished by someone who won a contest for the "worst Wilson Bridge traffic story". His entry? He was in the back of an ambulance trying to get across the bridge. Yup, he almost died because of the traffic. Also, people who commute in the DC area regularly go through their morning routine while sitting in traffic, I mean read the paper, drink coffee, shave, put on makeup, etc.

That's just DC. Other cities, like Baltimore and Annapolis have their own traffic problems. If someone were coming to visit me, unless they were coming from the east, (Delaware, New Jersey, etc.), I'd have to warn them about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which is infamous for its traffic. The traffic isn't actually that bad, I only experience it from time to time. You just need to know when to cross. During the summer for example, never ever EVER attempt to go east on a Friday evening or west on Sunday. Of course there are unpredictable cases. I once had to sit in traffic for about 3-4 hours due to an accident on the bridge. It was a mess.

Edit: I notice people seem to be treating this like a poll, they just look at the questions in the first post and answer them never to return. I posted a question related to food a while back and no one seems to notice.:P

Dark-San
6th March 2009, 10:17 PM
YAY DARKSAN IS BACK

I missed you *hug*

And where are you all these times prior to the day I went AWOL? At least, I have a reason and you don't. You owe me an explanation, elfy boy. ^.^

Speaking of which for the third question:

I supposed there isn't anything to worse part for my country. Crime rate is low. Financial services can be found anywhere. But if there is anything that I have to warn the outsiders, it would be the people. There is a small fraction of Singaporeans that are a bunch of selfish people. They refuses to help by shrugging their shoulders even though they know the solution to your problem. Well, I guess you find these kind of people everythere but it is just that in Singapore, the percentage is a little bit higher.

Asilynne
10th March 2009, 12:33 AM

People cant drive worth shit. Seriously. I know this because Im one of them ^-^()

It depends on where in the state you go I guess, I only have experience with northern VA so I dont know how it is in the south, but we also have a lot of whiny prius driving rich people who live in gated golf communities and sit in places like starbucks and panera with their high priced laptops being pretentious. Other than those kinds of people I really like my state ^v^

And Lady Vulpix you mentioned Empanadas which I firmly believe is one of the best foods on the planet!!! Do you have any good chicken empanada recipes to share? Im addicted to them but I dont want to have to pay so much at a restaurant when I can make em at home :D

Jeff
10th March 2009, 10:07 AM
So that's why the traffic near DC is so bad, all those Virginians who can't drive! Kidding, people here can't drive either. It's mostly a DC thing, but I see it over my part of the state too. Aside from the people who read the newspaper in their car, etc., I also regularly see people weaving across other cars, jumping in and out of a merge lane to get around cars on the highway, or riding a merge lane to the end instead of merging in before it ends like they're supposed to. I once heard that if everyone who took the Capital Beltway drove like they were supposed to, then everyone would be able to go at least the speed limit all the way through, and yet the Capital Beltway is one of the most congested roads in the country.

Asilynne
10th March 2009, 08:55 PM
Omg lol I havent been on the capital beltway to my knowledge but I always hear the horror stories on the traffic report on dc101 and hot 99.5. People around here text while their driving, cut people off, speed up when you pop your turn signal on so you cant merge in front of them, ride your ass because they want to speed and your doing the speed limit, turn left on red (that was me :X lol), and the Va state police are notorious for picking any reason to pull people over. The worst is when people do odd things while driving (like the texting but also putting on makeup, headbanging, and WATCHING TV OMG!! WHY!!) lol

Disclaimer: Im not so bad that I do all the above things while Im driving ^-^()
PS: People in KY drive worse, theyre lucky if their cars have brakes (at least where I was living at the time).

Mikachu Yukitatsu
11th March 2009, 12:38 AM
They say that in Haapavesi (a town where I used to live) people drive as if they were in the wild west. Here in Ylivieska they drive better but we may still have more accidents I reckon.

MToolen
11th March 2009, 06:05 AM
Living right by a heavily commuted state border myself (MO-IL), I can say with certainty that each state has different styles (Missouri's is more impulsive, and Illinois's is more defensive); this accounts for somewhere around 80% of my anti-driving rants being blamed on "those d@*%! Missouri drivers."

Asilynne
11th March 2009, 10:43 AM
...in the wild west.
...I reckon.

I see what you did there. ^-~

Which brings me to another discussion point. What are some local sayings you notice people around where you live tend to say?

In Virginia (or at least in the part Im in) people like to say "thank you much" which personally I find annoying. Is it really that hard to say the "very" that should be in that sentence? Or if you arent going to say Very then dont say Much. It just sounds dumb!!
Also I doubt this is true with many of the people older than me but a lot of people my age and younger also like to say stuff like "thats beast" or "Im such a beast" for the positive things and "thats so ghetto" or "thats gay" for the negative things. Those are the only things I can think of right now.

In Kentucky though, they have a lot of weird ones, most notably instead of saying "excuse me" or "Im sorry?" when they didnt hear what you said they would say "Please?" which confused the hell out of me when I lived there because I was just like "Please what?" lol

Jeff
11th March 2009, 01:49 PM
The main things that come off the top of my head are mostly associated with Baltimore, but my family's originally from that area so I guess they count. "Down the ocean" means Ocean City, which is the only beach town in the state, if someone's going to any other beach, they'll usually just say whatever beach they're going to, but Ocean City is "down the ocean". The most famous saying associated with Baltimore though, is probably "hon". Everyone is everyone else's "hon" no matter what gender you both are, or for that matter, whether you even know them or not.

Kyuuketsuki
20th November 2009, 11:00 AM
Let's see, Lady Vulpix directed me here.

I live in Bahrain, google it :P

Well, nothing is very special here, but we are the most open-minded country in the Arabian Gulf, we have bars and stuff you don't usually see in the other Arabain Gulf countries. It's an island, so we have plenty of sea, since it's also small, the sea is at most a 30 minutes drive from anyone, for me it's right outside :P We're probably the only country in the Middle East that is an island. We have a lot of people from diffrent countries here, so it's practically a mix bot, Arabs, Indians, British, Americans, Russian, Japanesse, Chinesse, People from other Middle Eastern countries, and the list goes on.

Yeah, Middle East, you should know what that means, terrorists. And that all Arabian Women are covered in a black dress, while only 20% are, in here anyway.

Drusilla
25th November 2009, 03:02 PM
Well, since this topic has been rezzed, I'd like to update with that I'm no longer in Texas. T_T I'm stalking the northern TPMers from Minnesota, a state that I know nothing about.... Except that people up here drink almost constantly. It's the area pasttime.

Jeff
25th November 2009, 08:19 PM
People cant drive worth shit.

This.

People can't drive on our side of the Potomac either. Probably the main reason for the aforementioned traffic.

DivineAll
25th November 2009, 09:18 PM
Now to include Washington. The State, not the capital.

Besides the massive amounts of trees that the state is nicknamed for, Washington is the home of the original Starbucks, the Space Needle, Nintendo of America HQ, Microsoft, Bill Gates, Costco HQ, Nordstrom HQ, Boeing, Amazon.com HQ, and, of course, our Red Delicious apples.

Despite what some people think, not everything that I mentioned in 1 is found or originated in Seattle. Only a vast majority is, but not everything.

I can't think of anything bad to say about Washington. However, I think I do have to mention that the weather here is quite... unpredictable at times. Sure, Washington is known for it's trees because it rains a lot, right? Well... the thing is that even if you've checked a weather forecast beforehand, it might be raining in one area and be sunny in a different one. The only time I ever think the weather is consistent around here is during the Summer, where it's pretty much sunshine every day with some rain every once in a while. However, beware around Winter here because if it does snow at least a bit, there is quite a bit of craziness.

Lady Vulpix
11th March 2016, 02:21 PM
Wow, it's been a long time. I wonder if we can revive this club.

Sorry I never answered your question, Brandy. But the truth is the only empanadas I've ever made myself were the corn ones. The filling is a mixture of white sauce and yellow corn grains, with optional onion/nutmeg/pepper. As for the dough... I don't know how it's made, since you can buy it pre-made here.

OK, new question: what are - in your opinion - the best and worst things about your country's society?
Personally, something I like is that we don't have a big problem of racial or religious discrimination like some other countries do. There is a lot of ignorance and some prejudices, but usually the worst you see is some rude comments; not persecution, murder, nor refusal to hire or vote for someone based on their skin color or religion. My country's quite welcoming to homosexuals too. There are some xenophobic people, however, and way too many mysogynists. To the point that the "Ni una menos" campaign became a necessity in order to draw attention to the huge domestic violence and femicide problem. And there are strong political divisions, but then again that means most people are at least vaguely aware of local politics. And the vast majority of us vote (those of us who are old enough, of course). We're still trying to learn how to defend our rights since politicians keep screwing us again and again, but I have hope that Argentina will some day learn to make democracy work. Hopefully in my lifetime.

Oh, and having free public universities is great. :keke: