PDA

View Full Version : Playing Left

Asilynne
7th December 2008, 09:55 PM
Ok, most people dont know this but Ive always had this deep desire to learn how to play the violin. Since christmas is coming up I went looking online for violin prices so that I could drop a few hints to Rudy on what I wanted :D I was going to take Strings in 5th grade but I had to switch into chorus because my parents couldnt afford to rent me a violin, but while I was in that class I played "air violin" (pretending I had a violin in my hands and working an invisible bow >.>). Going by what I remembered from back then I noticed that most violins were backwards from what felt natural to me, and it was then that I discovered 99% of the world played violin with the violin in their left hand and the bow in their right, which just feels awkward to me. The way I play is considered the left handed way, and this is highly discouraged in violin schools, even going so far as to make people who are left handed in everything else learn to play the violin right handed.
I am not left handed, the only things Ive found that I do the "left handed" way are playing guitar/violin, and shooting a bow. But in violinist forums on the net I found even left handed people putting down people who play left handed. They give all kinds of reasons why people shouldnt, from "its just an excuse to ask for very special attention, maybe even from a violin teacher" to "In an orchestra they would get in everyones way since they are faced the wrong way" and even "Conform or die."

My question is, why such hostility towards playing left handed? In the past, kids who wrote left handed were discouraged from using that hand to write, those hands were even tied down or smacked with rulers to prevent their use so that the kids would "write the CORRECT way", but nowadays we consider this unnecissary prejudice. So why are violinist still stuck in this conformist mentality?
The only valid argument I could see is the one about the orchestra. If someone holds the violin a different way than everyone else in the orchestra, it interrupts the flow of the layout, so I can see why they would want to teach it in a proffessional setting. But what if you dont have aspirations for group playing? Should those students be mocked for wanting to play in the way that feels most natural for them?

So yeah, discuss, and please share if you play an instrument and have noticed this sort of thing :D

(Here (http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=8328) is a link to one of the violinist forums which I saw the most hostility from if anyones curious :D )

DarkestLight
7th December 2008, 10:12 PM
I played the violin. I'm thinking about re-teaching myself, but I've never had a problem wioth that issue for the exact same reason you mention: non professional playing. The orchestral setting is the only reason why playing with opposing posture would be discouraged

The hostility probably stems from the structure of violin schools really. They only want to teach you one way-the "ancient" way that's been passed down for centuries. If they can keep the art as structured as possible, they will. Hence people who get really caught up in it are incredibly serious about seeing it done in one way only. That leads to the ostracizing of the people that do that art differently-but achieve the same results.

Also, the people could just be jealous.

My take- screw them, because the internetz is serious buisnezz ¬¬ Play because you wnt to and hell, if you do get in an orchestral setting, make THEM switch. Take the world on :D!

mistysakura
8th December 2008, 06:10 AM
Hell, play your way. It's sounding good that matters. With guitar, I've seen all sorts of weird fretting technique, all sorts of ways of holding picks (or not holding picks), people with missing fingers... I don't understand this opposition with violinists at all because it's not even about using the different technique, it's using the exact same technique in a mirror image. In fact, I'd argue that this prejudice is even worse than with writing, because kids learn to write when they're young and can more easily adapt to using their unnatural hand. But if people have been lefties for years, it would be way worse to make them change to play an instrument (although I understand that it's different in your case). Hell, I can barely hit a ball with the racquet in my left hand. I agree that the orchestra argument is the only valid one, but you could easily do trio and quartet stuff.

Zallarion
8th December 2008, 06:35 AM
Well.. i know sometimes it just feels better to use your other hand.. i have that playing baseball..
And apparently.. my teachers forced to write with the wrong hand.. because i can write with left almost as good as i can with right.. lol..

MToolen
8th December 2008, 08:23 AM
I'll settle with you that, as a lefty, playing lefty air violin feels more correct. All the more, I can see why teachers would only teach one way. Most violinists are taught within an orchestral setting where there is little room to oneself. The other setting they are usually taught in is a pedagogical one, so the other point I can see is that teachers don't want teaching that is wrong in their eyes passed down. If A teaches B differently, B is bound to teach C differently.

I got a violin for Christmas last year (musiciansfriend.com had one for just over $100USD) and haven't touched it in a few months but I'm thinking of picking it up again; I'll eventually take a class on it for my Music Education degree. If you are playing a violin left-handed, make sure the strings and headrest are moved accordingly.

Asilynne
9th December 2008, 01:23 AM
Well the hostility in the forums wasnt directed at me I just came across it and was so shocked by it I just had to see if this really was a normal view, because it makes absolutely no sense to me lol But yeah, I have no desire to play in an orchestra, or really in front of more than 10 people at most, I just always wanted to be able to sit down and create something beautiful for me to enjoy and the violin is such an expressive instrument :D

As for the "why" of a lot of violinist who really do feel that playing left is a horrible offensive thing, I came across a post in that forum that someone said about how they see the violin as some holy object and to even think of playing it left handed offends them as if its sacrilige o.o

As for making sure I find a true left handed violin, it took me a bit of time but last night I found the one I want :D
http://www.violinslover.com/OutfitIn.php?I=A8760#cases
Everything is made exactly like a regular violin in mirror image, so it will still have all the correct sound when played. Also I found one on craigslist but atm I dont know enough about violin structure to make sure its a true left handed violin so I might just go with this one until I get more experience :D

PancaKe
12th December 2008, 12:40 AM
Just a thought about left handed people, I rather enjoy watching them write. It's fascinating.

I eat left handed. You know how your meant to hold the fork in your left and cut with the right? Yeah I do that opposite.

Asilynne
12th December 2008, 12:47 AM
Just a thought about left handed people, I rather enjoy watching them write. It's fascinating.

I eat left handed. You know how your meant to hold the fork in your left and cut with the right? Yeah I do that opposite.

I do that too. Did you ever see Saving Private Ryan, when they shot the german because he cut meat like us? I wouldve so gotten shot for being mistaken for a "crout" lol

PancaKe
13th December 2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah there are just certain things I couldn't do right handed. Like cut meat, like blow my nose (that happens left handed too hahaha), like drive manual car. Gosh changing gears with my right hand just sounds so weird. :\

MToolen
13th December 2008, 09:34 PM
Yeah there are just certain things I couldn't do right handed. Like cut meat, like blow my nose (that happens left handed too hahaha), like drive manual car. Gosh changing gears with my right hand just sounds so weird. :\

Cultural imbalance shows in that our stickshifts are right-handed. Most instruments are right-handed; those that could be either (as far as I can tell would be trumpet/cornet, tenor (triggerless) trombone, and some marching brass) are difficult to switch to. I believe horns (French horns, as they're more popularly called) are left-handed, though.

PancaKe
13th December 2008, 09:46 PM
Cultural imbalance shows in that our stickshifts are right-handed.

Not in Australia.

That and driving with my left foot doing the accelerator and the break really hurts my head. I'll stick to driving in Australia :P

Asilynne
13th December 2008, 10:04 PM
Not in Australia.

That and driving with my left foot doing the accelerator and the break really hurts my head. I'll stick to driving in Australia :P

I dont think we drive using our left foot on the brake and the accelerator either o.o at least I dont lol thats just weird! XDDD

PancaKe
13th December 2008, 10:39 PM
I dont think we drive using our left foot on the brake and the accelerator either o.o at least I dont lol thats just weird! XDDD

Oh, really? I just assumed everythign was in complete reverse; that's all

mr_pikachu
13th December 2008, 11:13 PM
Not necessarily. It makes sense that the stick shift would be reversed, though. In Aussieland, your driver's seat is on the right, so the center of the car (where many models have the shift) is on your left. In America, the left is the driver's side, so... yeah.

MToolen
14th December 2008, 08:28 AM
True. It makes sense for stick placement but pedal placement is, by comparison, rather arbitrary, so it could stay like yours.

My favorite part of this conversation is that I've never driven a stick for more than two seconds without killing it.

PancaKe
14th December 2008, 08:36 PM
LMAO. I couldn't imagine NOT driving stick. Manual = best and most fun driving evarrrrr!