PDA

View Full Version : IRC Chat! And now Discord too!

Jeff
13th December 2008, 12:07 AM
link (http://www.pokemasters.net/chat/)

That's right! We now have our very own IRC chat just like the one from back in the old days. I'd like to thank Telume for setting it up for us. Enjoy!

Edit: For those of you who don't have an IRC client program installed on your computer and are having trouble getting the Java one to work, you could also try mibbit (http://embed.mibbit.com/?server=irc.bitsjoint.net&channel=%23TPM) or your favorite IRC client.

Gabi edit: more details here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17970&p=437190&viewfull=1#post437190).

Telume
13th December 2008, 12:08 AM
Thank you thank you XD

Jeff
14th December 2008, 09:06 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've been making it a point to get on IRC whenever I'm online. So if you see me online here or on AIM, chances are I'm also on IRC. Telume and Pokemaster Ash also frequent IRC, so if you go on, you'll most likely not be alone. Of course, if you need any help just ask here, or there if you get to that point ;).

shazza
14th December 2008, 09:43 PM
Ummm, TPM has had an ongoing IRC chat room for about 10 years now?

Pokemaster Ash
14th December 2008, 09:50 PM
Yeah, but the new one is on a better server. Trust me on that one...

Asilynne
14th December 2008, 10:18 PM
I dont even know what IRC is, but youd think it would be as easy as putting in a username and pressing join. It didnt work for me unless Im supposed to be seeing a red x :< lol

Jeff
14th December 2008, 10:23 PM
Sounds like you don't have Java enabled, what web browser are you using?

Asilynne
14th December 2008, 10:38 PM
IE 6, Im not sure what all else my computer has on it since I had to reload windows recently >.> so I guess Im starting with a fresh computer practically. Does that mean I have to download Java sun or something like that? I remember getting that once before for something else.

PancaKe
14th December 2008, 10:45 PM
Ummm, TPM has had an ongoing IRC chat room for about 10 years now?

So who uses that one? I wanna be where the laydeez are. ;)

Jeff
14th December 2008, 10:56 PM
IE 6, Im not sure what all else my computer has on it since I had to reload windows recently >.> so I guess Im starting with a fresh computer practically. Does that mean I have to download Java sun or something like that? I remember getting that once before for something else.

That could be it. Apparently Microsoft doesn't include Java with new installations of Windows because their .NET competes with it. Anyway, try downloading it (http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp). You might want to try the "Do I have Java" thing first though.

Asilynne
14th December 2008, 11:11 PM
That worked, I didnt have the java thing but now I do :D just one thing, when I went to the page it said that the certificate was from a trusted source but has expired, what does that mean?

Jeff
14th December 2008, 11:52 PM
Does the same thing for me, it hasn't caused any problems for me, so it's nothing to worry about.

Telume
15th December 2008, 12:04 AM
If you can't sign in using the java client just sign in using ChatZilla or mIRC (if you have them). The address is irc.bitsjointirc.net and the room name is #TPM.

If this is an inconvenience there's always plan B which I had to give to Bulbasaur4 since the LAN she's on hates the applet.

shazza
15th December 2008, 05:57 AM
So who uses that one? I wanna be where the laydeez are. ;)

True, it's just been an idlefest for the past 3 years!

Lady Vulpix
15th December 2008, 04:19 PM
Cool! Except... no one's in there.

Why don't you people try #pokemon at irc.darkmyst.org? That one's quite active.

Heald
15th December 2008, 04:43 PM
Java is a pain for me at the moment because my internet security is broken and thinks is blocking Java. Will need to fix that before I join.

Also, Lady G, is that a TPM related chat? Because I'm fairly sure that's advertising if it isn't.

Lady Vulpix
15th December 2008, 05:06 PM
It's semi-related to TPM. We've had conversations about TPM in the past. But no, it's not made for TPM if that's what you're asking. I was suggesting sharing that room until we get enough activity to have our own.

If consider that is advertising, feel free to delete that post.

Telume
15th December 2008, 05:43 PM
Atm there's not too many people because it was just released, Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm pretty sure when the site comes up it'll become active.

Jeff
15th December 2008, 07:35 PM
If consider that is advertising, feel free to delete that post.

I'll let it stand, it was at least TPM-related.

It was pretty active last night (well last night my time). Surprisingly enough, we actually talked about pokemon.:P

Telume
15th December 2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah it was, although I probably wasn't around for most of it. It looks as though nights are gonna be the most active times.

shazza
15th December 2008, 10:17 PM
#pbs is TPM related.

Zak
16th December 2008, 02:30 AM
#pbs is TPM related.

#pbs as in "up with pbs, down with tpm?" (not that I know anything about it now but that is a direct quote from someone).

Also is #pbs welcome to everyone? :P

But really, does #pokemasters even still exist?

shazza
16th December 2008, 03:45 AM
#pbs doesn't really care about TPM now either way, but we do like to reminisce about the old days.

#pokemasters still exists, just an idle station.

Telume
16th December 2008, 04:02 PM
Which is why this new one was made, besides that people from this site are actually in control of this one.

Kirby
16th December 2008, 10:14 PM
Also is #pbs welcome to everyone? :P

A channel where someone says something once a week is pretty welcoming.

Lady Vulpix
5th January 2009, 12:40 PM
Posting to point out that a new link has been added. Now you can have the #TPM web chat in 2 flavors: Java and Mibbit.

Telume
6th January 2009, 02:09 AM
Yes, mibbit is for those people who can't use Java. It should make it 10x more accessible to everyone now.

Please PM me if you're STILL having problems.

Jeff
8th May 2009, 09:36 PM
http://widget.mibbit.com/?settings=a3085ec840c9d1e40a6d5d24ec223be1&server=irc.bitsjointirc.net&channel=%23TPM

Use the above link and type in a smiley for a surprise!

Again, I'd like to thank Telume for helping to set this up! Note that not all of them are in, and some are typed differently then how you type them on the forums (for example :eek: is O_O), if you have any questions just ask!

Jeff
11th October 2009, 05:59 PM
Hey guys, having some trouble here, I can't log into the chat, it's telling me there are too many connections from my IP. It's probably because I made a typo on my first attempt, so if a "Jef" is on there just kick it.

Lady Vulpix
11th October 2009, 06:10 PM
I'm in, but I don't see any Jef.

Jeff
11th October 2009, 06:12 PM
Any mibs?

Edit: Got in through the Java applet, but Mibbit still locks me out. If anyone else is experiencing trouble with Mibbit (the applet used by the chat links here and on the main site), use the Java applet instead, which is linked in this thread.

Kurosakura
11th October 2009, 06:59 PM
I'm having the same problem, I keep getting kicked out whenever I try logging in.

Jeff
11th October 2009, 07:14 PM
So Mibbit is causing the problem then. It's most likely something that they'll have to sort out. In the meantime you can use this link: http://www.pokemon-trading-cards.net/chat/tpm.php

Edit: Already posted this on the main site but figured I'd put it here too, Mibbit's working again.

Telume
3rd November 2009, 08:08 PM
Tried to revive it but I guess that teetered off again, sucks doesn't it?

Kyuuketsuki
19th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Sadly, noone is using the chat, I'm always alone there... *sits in emo corner*

EDIT: This isn't the Mibbit I use from the main site... O.o

Telume
19th November 2009, 11:39 PM
I'm glad at least you use it :P. Some people come on from time to time but usually leave when they see how dead it is.

abunaidesu
20th November 2009, 12:52 AM
SynIRC is a pretty good server.

shazza
20th November 2009, 03:28 AM
The baby of ZIRC.

Kurosakura
20th November 2009, 08:19 AM
WELL. I try, but it's usually so quiet, and huge chats on MSN distract me.

Lady Vulpix
20th November 2009, 08:38 AM
I'm practically always in the chat. If someone talks to me, I will reply.

Telume
20th November 2009, 01:00 PM
I am too, though not always active.

pokemasterfrank
29th December 2009, 11:04 PM
The Who
You! (Please :x)

The What
Internet Relay Chat, or IRC, is a type of Internet text messaging, akin to AIM or MSN. IRC places an emphasis on group chats, but does have support for one-on-one chats.

IRC has two layers, server and channel. Channels are like chat rooms. You can talk with whoever is in the room at the time. The difference between channels and chat rooms is the outer layer, the server. Each channel, referenced by a pound sign followed by the channel name (ex: #TPM), exists on every server. However, each server has a different existence of that channel. So, the #TPM on irc.sorcery.net is different from the #TPM on irc.bitsjointirc.net.

The Where
Server: irc.bitsjointirc.net
Channel: #TPM

(please :x)

The When
Anytime (please :x)

The Why
Because you want to join our lovely chat <3 (please :x)

The How
The Free, Useful Programs Thread (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19577) has some nice multi-protocol (for your AIM, IRC, MSN, Y!, Google Talk, and whatever else you use all at once) ones under Instant Messaging and straight up IRC clients under IRC Clients, of course.

Each client is different on how they handle server access, but there should be some sort of painless form to fill out with the above server info. Just pick a screen name and local name and go! The screen name is what name the server identifies you by, and the local alias is what your displayed name is. Anyway, check up on the help documents for your specific client for more info.

The Guide to Starting on irc.bitsjointirc.net
One of the first things you may want to do when you finally reach the server is claim a name for your very own. Display names can be claimed and passworded. The entity that makes this all possible is the bot known as nickserv. Thankfully, it doesn't slice or dice, but it can keep people from using your username. Just private message nickserv to register your username.
/msg nickserv register <password> <email>

After registering your shiny username, you will already be identified as the owner of that username by the server. On successive log-ins, you can identify yourself as the owner by messaging nickserv while on your username.
/msg nickserv identify <password> or
/msg nickserv id <password>

To protect your new identity, nickserv has an option called kill protection, that you may or may not want to turn on. If someone gets on your username and does not identify with nickserv, their name will be changed by nickserv automatically. To turn on and off this shiny option, type
/msg nickserv set kill <ON/OFF>

The Helpful Hints

If you didn't notice the pattern, when talking with nickserv, it's always
/msg nickserv <command> <any subcommands> <info, if required>
/msg is the command for private messaging. If you want to talk to someone in private, use this.
/msg <username> <message>
/nick is almost universally the shortcut for changing your displayed name.
/nick <username>
/join is almost universally the shortcut for joining a new channel.
/join #<channel name>
Some client shortcut the ghost command to /ghost
/ghost <username> <password> This is used if you timeout on your connection and when you return, the server thinks that you're still on, leaving a "ghost" that is taking up your shiny username. Alternatively, use
/msg nickserv ghost <username> <password> Keep in mind that this doesn't just work on ghosts. It can also boot any unwanted abusers of your shiny username.
When your talking to nickserv or some similar server helper bot and are suddenly confused about how to go about things, help! Type in
/msg nickserv help or
/msg nickserv help <command> and it will tell you what you need to know.
For all you mIRC users.
/slap Don't do it.

The Motivation
We at the IRC channel were trying to come up with ways to encourage the usage of said IRC channel and figured that there may be some of you who weren't familiar with IRC and decided that it would be nice to have a guide lying around.

To the Moderators: I was talking with Telume and we concluded that this topic would be best in Misc., since this place has higher traffic than The Binary District. Also, since we're shamelessly advertising the TPM IRC channel... Not that you guys need the permission or anything, but move it if you feel it's better somewhere else. (please :x)

The Please Leave Questions, Comments, and Suggestions Below
(please :x)

shazza
29th December 2009, 11:08 PM
ok :x

Telume
29th December 2009, 11:45 PM
Just :x

Bear
30th December 2009, 09:42 AM
:x

Blademaster
30th December 2009, 10:43 AM

kainashi
30th December 2009, 11:47 AM

might give it a go one of these days. i don't really pay attention to irc lately. :x

Blademaster
24th September 2010, 03:19 AM
And your point is what, little feller?

Blademaster
23rd June 2011, 09:44 AM
Buzz off.

Lady Vulpix
17th April 2016, 03:06 PM
Sorry to double-post (over 6 years later), but I want to let everyone know that the chat is back online!

We apologize for the inconveniences.

Chaotic Heavens
3rd October 2018, 02:44 PM
I can't believe this place is still around, but it seems the IRC channel died awhile back. Discord anyone? :D

Telume
3rd November 2018, 04:18 PM
Hi Guys, I know it's been a while since I've been around. Been busy with school and stuff, but just as a heads up... thepokemasters.net is expired. So, if anyone was using the chat on the main site, it no longer works.
If you still wanna visit IRC and don't have a client, you can always use https://kiwiirc.com/client?settings=5366e45ee42c7222c449d3107cebc34d.

Just be sure to change the channel to #tpm :)

For those of you that do, you should still be able to use irc.bitsjoint.net or irc.atomicedge.org.

kurai
3rd November 2018, 05:49 PM
how about a discord server

?

Knight of Time
6th November 2018, 07:38 AM
how about a discord server

?

I second kurai's suggestion. Since Gabi and I are the only TPMers on Discord AFAIK, that might be a viable place for us to have online chats. Hopefully TPM is "game" enough for Discord.

BTW, nice to see you back Telume.

Lady Vulpix
24th February 2019, 06:36 PM
The IRC chat still exists but no one's using it, so here's a new Discord server (https://discord.gg/6eapHrz)!

If you join, please let us know who you are. :)

Mikachu Yukitatsu
22nd December 2019, 04:07 AM
I think this thread is still glitched, but I'll be less active in Discord and concentrate on the main forum now that the majority of its is fixed.