PDA

View Full Version : Major IE security flaw revealed

mr_pikachu
16th December 2008, 11:06 PM
Major flaw revealed in Internet Explorer; users urged to switch (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/111811)

Apparently IE allows a certain malicious script to slip through its defenses, acting as a trojan for whatever hacker employs it. The latest studies show that this script can only be found on 0.02% of all websites (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7784908.stm), but it could be hidden virtually anywhere.

For now, IE is the only browser affected - Firefox, Safari, and so forth all appear safe - but all versions of IE are susceptible.

Just wanted to be sure everyone is aware of this threat. I'd switch from IE if you can, even if only for the time being.

Asilynne
16th December 2008, 11:09 PM
OMFG ty Mr P o.o

kainashi
17th December 2008, 08:29 AM
they're sending out a patch today at 1pm est for it so check windows update around that time if you still use ie.

Lady Vulpix
17th December 2008, 11:25 AM
Yes, it was on the news today. The newspaper even provided links to download other browsers.

I'll just keep using Firefox. It's does not, as some people seem to believe, do the job of an antivirus or a firewall, but it's much better as a browser than IE.

Starry Might
17th December 2008, 02:15 PM
Wow, they found ANOTHER one? :o

Katie
18th December 2008, 12:47 AM
I heard something about this on a Neopets forum, someone said the people were targeting Chinese gaming sites, is this the same thing?

I only use IE for a few Neopets games that simply don't load in Firefox. I assume that trusted sites are okay in IE if you don't go surfing and aimlessly clicking godknowswhere? I have no idea how e-security things work ._.

Edit: BBC article says: "The message needs to get out that this malicious code can be planted on any web site, so simple careful browsing isn't enough." Eh? How?? I'm really curious to hear about how this all works, even though I probably wouldn't understand any explanation anyway.

Drago
4th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Just wondering if that patch had been released yet, and if the problem had been rectified? I've been using Safari for the last couple weeks, which I had installed only on a whim to begin with, but I kinda miss my IE.

mr_pikachu
5th January 2009, 01:36 AM
Apparently Microsoft actually released a working patch (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/112848;_ylt=Aq11URzfpR_La.HIvuj4TVsxLpA5) less than 24 hours after I started this thread.

Still, bear in mind that IE is generally the most vulnerable browser (if only because it's the one that every hacker and his mother targets). I'd recommend switching to Firefox, Tony, if you're at all willing to make a permanent change... it's similar enough to IE that it wouldn't be too big of an adjustment.

Crazy Elf Boy
5th January 2009, 03:28 AM
Well this is great news for me (not) since my Firefoz keeps crashing on me I am forced to use IE for my internet needs, can anyone suggest a way for me to get Firefox working properly again?