PDA

View Full Version : I.Need.A.Moveset.Please.

Ace Trainer Nathaniel
17th December 2008, 07:56 PM
can anybody give me a really goood moveset for an Infernape.All it has to have is Blast Burn...

Blademaster
17th December 2008, 09:06 PM
Stone Edge, Flare Blitz, Close Combat, and Thunderpunch seems to be the standard for flat-out beatdown-ing.

Jeff
17th December 2008, 09:20 PM
I'd avoid blast burn. Yes it has 150 base damage, but the required turn of rest afterwards is a deal breaker. It effectively halves the base damage to a less enticing 75.

Number1ChanseyFan
17th December 2008, 10:16 PM
I agree with what Blademaster and Jeff said... I would not advise using Blast Burn, the lost turn afterwards doesn't make it worthwhile. Blademaster gave you a nice moveset... another option would be to fit Swords Dance somewhere into the set, possibly over Stone Edge or Thunderpunch, but Swords Dance isn't a must, and keeping Stone Edge and Thunderpunch increases your type coverage.

mr_pikachu
18th December 2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah, the general consensus among battlers is that there's almost never a need for Hyper Beam or its elemental variants. Over a two-turn span, just about every type can total more than 150 power, so unless you've got a guaranteed KO with the move - one that you also know you wouldn't get with a lesser move of the same type, like Flamethrower - there's just no point. It's extremely situational, too much so to be useful.

The exception? Frenzy Plant, although that's just because Grass has been a little lacking in power. Now that we're in generation four, though, there's almost certainly a better alternative for that as well, whether it's a stronger version of an old attack (see: Giga Drain, Magical Leaf, Power Whip) or a wacky move like Energy Ball, Leaf Storm, or Wood Hammer.

If you absolutely have to use Blast Burn for some reason (say, a weird tournament regulation), put it over Flare Blitz. If you just want the move available for breeding purposes, breed it onto something else and then set up a good sweeping set like the one Blademaster suggested.

Phoenixsong
18th December 2008, 08:04 AM
Leaf Storm, Energy Ball and Wood Hammer generally aren't considered "wacky", IMO--those and Grass Knot are pretty much standard or recommended on any Grass-type that can learn them, and Energy Ball/Grass Knot on several other things besides. (Including Infernape, actually, if Nathaniel there is inclined to try a special or mixed-attacking variant.) Seed Bomb or Leaf Blade would probably actually be the least commonly seen but still generally viable Grass moves in serious play, and Pokémon like Torterra, Sceptile and Breloom can still make a mess out of you with them if they want to. I don't think anyone uses Magical Leaf or Giga Drain unless they have absolutely no choice and the more "wacky" alternatives aren't available.

...unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by "wacky".

And a guaranteed KO from Frenzy Plant, Blast Burn or Hyper Beam (since people sometimes recommend that for Porygon-Z) still isn't really worth the use, IMO--don't forget that, unlike RBY, you still can't switch out after a Hyper Beam family move and have effectively doomed your beamer to being knocked out itself. It's still much, much better to go ahead with a different move, especially since an Adaptability Porygon-Z can generally KO almost anything it wants to anyway, and something like Sceptile or Infernape can pack that nearly that much power without a beam if given the proper moves, item and training.

Speaking of Grass Knot, you could also try a special attacking Infernape with something like Grass Knot, Flamethrower/Fire Blast, Focus Blast and Nasty Plot. It might be a little late to get Nasty Plot if your intended Infernape has already evolved to at least a Monferno, though, in which case you could substitute Calm Mind--that generally doesn't work as well, though. There're also those mixed attackers I mentioned, but there are so many variants on that that serve so many purposes that I don't really feel like listing them.

DarkestLight
18th December 2008, 04:48 PM
Wot they said.

o.o Word.

Ace Trainer Nathaniel
18th December 2008, 07:20 PM
WOW. you guys are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank yu sooo much. i want it to be a phisical sweeper(correct me if i am wrong) ao i want Stone Edge,Close Combat,Flare Blitz, ThunderPunch

Ace Trainer Nathaniel
20th December 2008, 09:37 AM
okay i need another one.... for my Lucario. I really want him to be my star of the team. So can I get a moveset please? and again you guys are great!

sorry bout dbl posting..

Jeff
20th December 2008, 10:39 AM
My Lucario is a special sweeper. I like to use a combination of a Psychic, Fighting, and Dark moves for type coverage, so for Lucario I went with Psychic, Aura Sphere, and Dark Pulse, the other move can just be filler. You could use a steel move for STAB, Calm Mind, or something else entirely. Lucario also has the stats and movepool to make a decent physical sweeper, so you could also go that route.

Blademaster
20th December 2008, 05:10 PM
Lucario is one of few Pokemon to make a good mixed Sweeper. Try something like Psychic, Earthquake, Dark Pulse, and Aura Sphere and you'll have ELEVEN different types covered.

Phoenixsong
20th December 2008, 06:53 PM
Personally I've had good success with a physical Lucario running Swords Dance, Crunch, Close Combat and Extremespeed and holding Focus Sash. It also does special and mixed sweeping very well, though, as Jeff and Blade said. If you're going for a mixed sweeper, you might want to try letting it hold a Choice Scarf and giving it Me First. Lucario can already use moves like Close Combat, Focus Blast and Earthquake effectively... imagine what it can do if it uses those moves against, say, other Lucario or something like Rhyperior at 1.5 times the power. :)

Ace Trainer Nathaniel
24th December 2008, 12:15 PM
as i said in the "Honor the loved ones" setion, I didnt think my Luxray had the best moveset...... so can i get a moveset from all you wonderful moveset givers?

Number1ChanseyFan
24th December 2008, 01:07 PM
To get a really good moveset, you really would need to consider breeding some moves onto a new Shinx and raising it from scratch, with a moveset like this:

Spark
Fire Fang
Ice Fang
Crunch

However, it seems that you have already spent a lot of time raising this one, so if you don't want to get involved in breeding, then I suppose something like this would be your best best...

Spark
Crunch
Return
Thunder Wave (TM at Battle Tower)/Toxic/Light Screen.

Luxray is a nice Pokemon, but unfortunately it wasn't given a huge variety of moves.

Ace Trainer Nathaniel
24th December 2008, 04:02 PM
no its cool I will breed and give my Luxray that moveset. i actually have him using Spark Crunch and Lightscreen, so I will give him Return now. thanks alot. as for the breeding, what nature, and what pokemon is good that will not only breed with lxray, but that can learn Ice Fang? i dont want fire fang. so what is a good alternative for it?

Ace Trainer Nathaniel
24th December 2008, 04:25 PM
I did some resaerch. how bout this...

Luxray:Choice Band
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Intimidate

Ice Fang
Crunch
Spark
Iron Tail

well?

and sorry bout the dbl post...my bad

Number1ChanseyFan
25th December 2008, 11:05 PM
Yeah, that moveset is pretty good as long as you aren't concerned about the low accuracy of Iron Tail.