PDA

View Full Version : No more time!

Heald
19th December 2008, 11:46 AM
A couple of months ago, I lost my watch. I was rather upset, as it was a nice watch and my only one. It was in losing my watch I realised how much of a slave to time I was.

I spent at least a week glancing at my wrist every few minutes to see what the time was, only to remember that I wasn't wearing my watch. At first I panicked and had to either turn on a TV, look at my phone or iPod or find a clock in the house in order to find out what the time was. Gradually, I stopped caring, and my life is better for it.

Honestly, watches are sickening. I had a revelation: all those hours I've wasted in my life just staring at my watch waiting for the precise minute, I was watching the seconds until my eventual death tick away, and I never realised this. Each second counts in this world, and I'm not just going to watch the sands of time of my life be wasted.

Time had made me stressful, and now I don't worry about being early or late. If I miss my class, I just go and do some work in the library; it will probably be more rewarding. If I turn up too early at the station, I'll just get an earlier train and enjoy myself. Who cares at turning up to a party on time, why do you think they call it being 'fashionably late' anyway? Too early for a showing for a movie? Enjoy a few tipples in the bar.

I feel my life is better since I lost my watch, so join me and rebel against time itself!

tl;dr, please post stories/observations/comments/pictures of ducks related to time and time-telling.

http://www.cbarks.dk/Digital/seraa195702a.JPG

MToolen
19th December 2008, 11:53 AM
Rebelling against time too much can be bad for your health, man. Your circadian rhythm, shattered as it already probably is, will be even further thrown out of whack.

Unfortunately, I'm not as carefree, so I feel the need to know the time so I can get to and pass classes so I can graduate so I can get a job and support a family. What a lovely existence. I'd join you in your timeless crusade...

But I just don't have the time.

p.s. googling "duck time" registers:
http://www.bluebuttongifts.com/images/ducktimer3x4.jpg

Blademaster
19th December 2008, 07:46 PM
I'm the exact opposite, I think: I look at the clock CONSTANTLY. I monitor every minute of my life. I never lose track of the time. Hell, I've probably wasted most of my life already - why start doing otherwise now?

Magmar
19th December 2008, 09:16 PM
I dropped my phone in the toilet so I have no means of keeping track of time, lol, except for checking the stove!

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/money/.element/img/1.0/sections/mag/fortune/bestcompanies/2008/snapshots/aflac.jpg

Asilynne
19th December 2008, 09:21 PM
If I did that, I would lose my job so >.> lol
Although I would love to have such a carefree life, so in a way I envy you Heald...

Btw here is a duck with teeth for your amusement XD
http://www.norrishallstudio.com/assets/img/products/ttb/list/TTB_Duck.png

Jeff
19th December 2008, 10:13 PM
My watch broke over a month ago and I haven't gotten a new one yet (I'm expecting to get one for Christmas though). I haven't noticed anything liberating about the experience, I'm just inconvenienced. Whether I'm at my brother's winter concert, wanting to see how long until I get out of there, or if I'm out and supposed to pick up my other brother, I'd like to know what time it is. Sure I could just use my cell phone, but I prefer to wear time on my wrist than carry it in my pocket, more convenient that way.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th December 2008, 11:20 PM
When I was at school, some older boys made fun of me by asking me 'What time is it?'. I don't even remember if I had a watch back there, probably not.

I have a watch right now, and I check it like once every hour. I see no problem with that, I'm actually happy with my current habit. Especially because, strangely, I'm one of those people who are never surprised by a clock. I rarely have an oppoturnity say "Oh, I didn't know the time was that much!".

However, I do understand Heald and others rebelling against time, too. If you forget the watch, side-effects may take control.

In this post, I was also going to refer to comparing looking at a clock once in a while with religious behaviour, but then I realized I can't find the words to talk about the aspect.

Bulbasaur4
20th December 2008, 12:15 AM
I always have to keep track of time. As a student, it is sorta important to get up when you need to get up and go to class before it starts. I found that in China I was even MORE aware of time. My computer's clock was set to Central USA time so I knew when my friends were up and then I was aware of five different time instances at once and everything! Thank god China has only ONE universal time for the WHOLE DAMN COUNTRY... which is helpful and also confusing. You travel to a different place and the sun sets differently and @_@....

Although it is amusing to talk to people on AIM and be like, "You're talking to the FUTURE!"

mr_pikachu
20th December 2008, 12:32 AM
I'm sort of in the same boat as everyone else, especially since I teach classes now. In most professions, if you're late then maybe your boss won't notice. When you arrive late to teach a class, everyone's pretty aware of it.

This is part of why I'd really like to get published, especially if it means I can totally break away from the need to adhere to a strict schedule. Who cares what time a writer crawls out of bed if he finishes his book by the deadline? It's a lot easier to check a calendar once a day than a clock every few seconds.

http://www.justducks.co.uk/Images/Yarto/DUCK%20WATCH.jpg

Rubber duckie... you're so fine....

Asilynne
20th December 2008, 12:40 AM
I'm sort of in the same boat as everyone else, especially since I teach classes now. In most professions, if you're late then maybe your boss won't notice. When you arrive late to teach a class, everyone's pretty aware of it.

This is part of why I'd really like to get published, especially if it means I can totally break away from the need to adhere to a strict schedule. Who cares what time a writer crawls out of bed if he finishes his book by the deadline? It's a lot easier to check a calendar once a day than a clock every few seconds.

http://www.justducks.co.uk/Images/Yarto/DUCK%20WATCH.jpg

Rubber duckie... you're so fine....

Rubber Duckie, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of you;

Woo woo be doo

Rubber Duckie, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Duckie, you're my very best friend, it's true!

Doo doo doo doo, doo doo

Every day when I
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rub-a-dub-a-dubby!

Rubber Duckie, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of you.

Every day when I
Make my way to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

Rubber Duckie, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber Duckie, I'm awfully fond of -
Rubber Duckie, I'd like a whole pond of -
Rubber Duckie I'm awfully fond of you!

Doo doo, be doo

mistysakura
20th December 2008, 02:33 AM
We do an a cappella version of that for fun at choir.

Anyway, it's awesome to go camping and not take a watch. The hours just flow into one another... makes you realise the futility of counting.

Andrew
20th December 2008, 10:39 PM
I don't wear watches. For my 18thBirthday my mum brought me a 400 buck watch. It gave me a disgusting rash up my arm with open sores. Turns out I'm allergic to copper and some other type of metal common in watches when in contact with my skin.

I would however LOVE a fobwatch. I'm planning to purchase one from Etsy to start with in the new year.

Katie
21st December 2008, 01:08 AM
I freak the hell out when I don't have my watch. I like to be punctual and have a very time-specific schedule (i.e. if I leave my apartment at ##:#7 I will make it to my bus stop right as it pulls up. If I'm late, I have to wait 10 minutes in the cold/sun/rain for the next one). Heh. I don't give a crap about ticking away life, because you know what, I supposedly have a long ass time before I go, but only a few minutes to get where I'm going today. Just take it a day at a time, being aware of the time really isn't a burden and can keep you out of trouble ("oh shit I was 5 min late and there was an attendance quiz?!" etc)

I like my watches though. I spend $5-$10 on a cheap-ass plastic digital Target or Walmart one and use it until the band breaks or battery dies, usually after a couple years. Beats the hell out of people buying $200 watches, unless they're using them for 50 years or something. Also it's no big deal if I lose it!

<3 my watch.

Crystal Mew
21st December 2008, 01:58 AM
I haven't worn a watch since...elementary school probably. I got 3 for my high school graduation, I just dont wear them.

I keep my phone with me all the time, so thats how I keep track of time :)

Heald
21st December 2008, 07:32 AM
For all the guys saying they couldn't be without a watch: honestly, I was exactly the same as you before I lost my watch, and now I couldn't be happier. You ought to try it. Throw your watch away for a week and see how much better you feel. Do it!

shazza
21st December 2008, 07:51 AM
All of 2007 and up until September 2008 I didn't have a watch due to it needing repairs, however I finally got off my ass and get it fixed. The thing is, I wasn't lost without my watch as I had my phone.

I've had times when I was younger without both a watch and a phone and even then I struggled, but you learn to deal with it.

Note: I had a South park watch in 2000. Cartman told me the time. It was fucking epic.

Drago
21st December 2008, 01:06 PM
I'm a prisoner of time. In my case, it's mostly because I have so many places I have to get to and so much public transport to catch in order to get there. Besides, I always feel high and mighty whenever someone asks me what time it is, because it means that on my wrist I hold the vital information they seek, and can decide whether or not I shall divulge such trinkets of wisdom. Some people charge for such services.
As a matter of interest, a watch would also reveal that I did not sleep at all tonight, through the clever use of its hour hands.

I thought that this duck was very distinguished.
http://jcwoodworksmass.com/images/CLK005A_000.JPG
Meanwhile, I believe that this duck would benefit greatly from the possession of a watch.
http://www.rquackenbush.com/books/Henrys_date.jpg

MToolen
21st December 2008, 02:19 PM
Meanwhile, I believe that this duck would benefit greatly from the possession of a watch.
http://www.rquackenbush.com/books/Henrys_date.jpg

And really, what else is that guy gonna do with a name like Quackenbush?

PancaKe
21st December 2008, 05:39 PM
I've had the same watch for 4 years. Its a holographic bart simpson watch and I got it from a box of Coco Pops.

I lost it at a concert once.

Then my 10 year old brother paid his friend $16 for one exactly the same.

So i prety much love my brother.

I've also forgotten how to change the time on my watch, so in daylight savings my watch is like 25 minutes fast, and in not daylight savings its like an hour and 25 minutes fast. But I know how to convert it, and I'm never late for anything!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
21st December 2008, 11:27 PM
I had a poor watch for like two months some years ago. Luckily it was broken by the salesperon in a clock shop. She should have changed the batteries, but she broke it. Now I have a lot better watch.

Dark Scizor
24th December 2008, 09:40 PM
There's an article in this months GQ about time.

I'll scan it in after Christmas and upload it. I'm sure you'll like it.

Crazy Elf Boy
25th December 2008, 07:42 AM
I was very unlucky to have my watches batteries to die on me before I went clubbing with my friends, I contemplated leaving it at home but like most people without wearing my watch while going out feels a bit weird. So I spent the whole evening occasionally glancing at a dead watch thinking it was working.

Magmar
25th December 2008, 08:56 AM
I dropped my cell phone in the toilet on the 18th while trying to text and pee simultaneously (don't lie you do it too..) and had been phone-less and essentially without a clock for six days.. except for the kitchen timer on my stove. With my roommates home for the holiday it was kinda tough getting to work on time, and I missed being able to check the time!

Jeff
25th December 2008, 09:08 AM
I just got a new watch!

I am now once again a slave to time. Now to set the darn thing...