PDA

View Full Version : Skinheads vs. 'Pokemon'

Lady Vulpix
1st January 2009, 03:19 PM
I've just read this news and thought I had to share it.

Original article (in Spanish) (http://www.minutouno.com/1/hoy/article/67493-Alerta-por-una-violenta-campa%C3%B1a-de-Skinheads-contra-Pokemones/)

Summary: a Chilean urban tribe of teenagers who dye their hair and wear piercings all over their bodies call themselves Pokemon. Neonazi groups are gathering to beat them up and uploading photos and videos of the beatings on the web. Their logo is an image of Pikachu inside a "forbidden" sign.

I don't know what you'll all think about this. Personally, I find it scary. Of course, I've always found the actions of nazis horrifying, and that won't change. That said, I find the idea of people calling themselves pokemon somewhat funny. But I can't say the same about this piece of news.

classy_cat18
1st January 2009, 03:26 PM
That's...wow. I mean, didn't think people liked Pokemon that much. Or hated it that much. That's extreme, and I'm both amazed and disgusted.

Jeff
1st January 2009, 08:02 PM
From what I was able to pull from that with my rusty Spanish, the neo-Nazis are against these "Pokemon" people because of the type of fun they have and the sexual ambiguity they practice. Sounds like typical skinhead behavior.

I certainly wouldn't want to be one of those Pokemon people, I hope this gets stopped before it goes too far. As for how this would impact the actual Pokemon franchise, I wouldn't worry, nobody takes skinheads seriously (except other people like them). People do take religious leaders seriously, and we saw how well they did in their campaign against the actual Pokemon franchise. I don't think this will do much to ruin Pokemon's reputation.

Magmar
1st January 2009, 09:00 PM
Well, I'd hope they stop calling themselves Pokemon if it's getting them beaten the hell up by racist douche bags.... I mean, both groups are being retarded.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
1st January 2009, 11:25 PM
Well I'm not sure if I understood the whole thing, but aren't neonazis pretty much against everything that contradicts their own ideas?

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
2nd January 2009, 01:22 AM
I don't speak any Spanish so I can't read the article unfortunately. Nevertheless any such behaviour has to be disapproved. It doesn't matter how extremists call themselves, whether they have politicial, racial or religious agendas, their arguments lack usually any reason or foundation. I hope these skinheads find themselves behind bars soon.

mr_pikachu
2nd January 2009, 01:27 AM
Posting in agreement with Alex. I don't really mind that they're calling themselves "Pokemon"... maybe we should be impressed that they have the courage to do so. Regardless of the group's name, though, these attacks are intolerable. Typical of neonazis, I suppose.

Drago
2nd January 2009, 01:02 PM
Meh, they can call themselves whatever they like, it seems inconsequential unless they're actually acting like Pokemon. I mean I used to go into chatrooms calling myself Geodude but unless I start hurling boulders at people again it doesn't mean much. It's more their lifestyles that are drawing the ire of the Neonazis.

Anyway, try and have some fun and some Nazi is bound to bring you down. Stupid Nazis. I hope they're brought swiftly to justice (in kind, might I add).

Celestial Blade
10th January 2009, 10:44 AM
As I am an extreme Communist, I think ALL Nazis deserve to be shot dead!

Hitler was a fucking psycho!