PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon is losing popularity

Anand
25th January 2009, 09:51 AM
How many of you think that Dragon Ball Z is better than Pokemon.
I raised this pole in my school and post of the kids prefer DBZ they give the reason
that when the Pokemon episodes were getting repeated a last year the lost all interest
in it.Well I think that Pokemon has always been good I even liked the repeated episodes.
I want to know the reason why people are loosing interest in Pokemon.Well I love the Pokemon Diamond & Pearl series do you guys also do.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
25th January 2009, 12:20 PM
Wow, Dragon Ball, I totally forgot about that, it hasn't been shown in years here. On German TV they show Pokémon three times a day, episodes from different seasons. Honestly I'd be happy if they would start showing them from the beginning again for a change, I haven't seen the Kanto ones in forever.

As for the popularity, if you're not into the games in particular I don't see any reason to watch the animated series. There's not really that much to like or enjoy about it, you don't know the proper background. Pokémon is grahpic wise and storywise mediocre at best. So it's not surprising if people prefer to watch Dragon Ball. Personally I think DBZ is a joke though, I liked the original DB much better.

Blademaster
25th January 2009, 03:14 PM
DBZ = popular anime
Pokemon = popular video game series

Drago
25th January 2009, 03:40 PM
I do actually find it a bit curious that DBZ has held onto its popularity to this point, seeing as most people would have seen all of the episodes between 6-20 years ago. In any event, the Pokemon anime was part of the marketing machine. Back in '99 everyone was playing the game and collecting the cards, so the anime was part of the package. With the absolutely dreadful quality of new episodes aside, the hype is over - Pokemon has levelled off to be just a successful game series and post-phenomenon. The anime doesn't offer anything but tired familiarity.

Crazy Elf Boy
25th January 2009, 11:12 PM
Well the reason DBZ is so popular is because it been around so long I mean how long has it been on TV now 20 years or something. But yeh I always liked the pokemon anime series but I cant find anywhere to download them because we don't get it on Aussie TV.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
25th January 2009, 11:23 PM
Hey, DB isn't that popular! Here in Finland Dragonball was the first manga translated into Finnish. It has been losing popularity mainly because other 'better' mangas (Full Metal Alchemist, Naruto etc.) have come. One of my friends said people didn't enjoy anymore becuase it got too violent and the humor disappeared.

DBZ was shown in our TV for a while, but they aren't currently showing it. In fact Pokemon and Transformers might be the only animes now. And perhaps Neon Genesis Evangelion in a channel that I'm not able to watch. I should have a TV card or something! I hope an angel attacks the TV station SubTV unless they get it back to the free channel.

Anand
26th January 2009, 10:55 AM
thx that means my friends have unusual choices.

Gnight
5th February 2009, 07:34 AM
As for the popularity, if you're not into the games in particular I don't see any reason to watch the animated series. There's not really that much to like or enjoy about it, you don't know the proper background. Pokémon is grahpic wise and storywise mediocre at best. So it's not surprising if people prefer to watch Dragon Ball. Personally I think DBZ is a joke though, I liked the original DB much better.

I beg to differ from that statement! I think pokemon in general is awesome and I've been into it for over 10 years. The show seems to be popular and I still love it. In fact, I watched the show for about 2 years before I started playing the games!

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
5th February 2009, 11:08 AM
I beg to differ from that statement! I think pokemon in general is awesome and I've been into it for over 10 years. The show seems to be popular and I still love it. In fact, I watched the show for about 2 years before I started playing the games!

No, sorry, I don't differ. The Pokémon anime is neither graphic nor story-wise standing out in any way, in fact in my opinion it is rather weak. Those who don't know the games will also have a hard time to understand what is going on in the show. Of course the show is still popular but I'm certain the vast majority of those watching it are kids who play or used to play the Pokémon games. I too watch it now and then but had I never touched a Pokémon game I wouldn't even bother to watch it for five minutes.

Gnight
5th February 2009, 12:45 PM
I too watch it now and then but had I never touched a Pokémon game I wouldn't even bother to watch it for five minutes.

Well, that's where you and I differ... well, that and our opinions of the show. Back in the late 90's I came across this animé called Pokémon and I started to love it! I think I have a different attitude twords Pokémon now because I was exposed to the animé first and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th February 2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I watched Pokemon anime one year before starting to play the games. Of course playing the games had a big impact, it made my obsession stronger and stronger. I have wondered whether games or anime is the main reason I love Pokemon, perhaps it's the combination of those two.

I like also other animes and videogames, but for me, there's no other trademark that has got me so hooked. I say I like Final Fantasy, but know how to play just VII and VIII, for example I suck at IX. I do have 16 episodes of Final Fantasy Unlimited anime but haven't even watched them all. I say I like Super Mario, but I am not too interested in the cartoon aspect there.

Yesterday, I was in a big shop in a village called Tuuri and I didn't want to buy two games (what the heck, didn't want?) so I had to choose between Pokemon Diamond and Final Fantasy XII and I chose Pokemon. Eventhough it costed 48 € (euros) and I didn't know if I could have bought it cheaper somewhere else.

Magmar
16th February 2009, 12:52 AM
how the hell did it take someone NINE years to realize that pokemon is losing popularity.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th February 2009, 01:15 AM
To me, Pokemon is also more special than Sailor Moon. Sorry, Magmar. With Sailor Moon, I had this strong emotial projecting aspect though. I associated my high school crush with Sailor Mercury and actually prefered Sailor Moon to Pokemon for half a year, one reason why I left TPM when Sailor Moon anime began here in Finland Autumn 2002. Also my mother likes Sailor Moon, it's probably her favourite anime.

But with no new episodes on Finnish TV, I had to stop watching. I'm still waiting for Sailor Moon repeats on SubTV because I had big trouble with recording them in the first place. If the series begin again, I'll maybe revive my interest. I still like Sailor Moon a lot, but face the fact, I can't sped time with it. All the Pokemon seasons so far have been showed in Finland, minus Orange League! While we saw only 2 first seasons of Sailor Moon.

In general stage, I think some people rejected Sailor Moon here because it was brought through Sweden and was in Swedish language, with Finnish subtitles. You see, many people here don't like Swedish because they are forced to learn the language at school for two years and you don't really need Swedish because they speak it only in the west coast. Anyways, we did have 3 episodes in Japanese! On the other hand, Pokemon has been in Finnish all the time, except the 4th movie which was in English on TV.

shazza
16th February 2009, 03:30 AM
ITT: You guys got trolled.

Magmar
16th February 2009, 09:22 AM
LOL Sailor Moon lost its popularity like 10 years ago. I can't remember the last time I watched her and her rockin' friends with eternal legs, lol

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
16th February 2009, 10:53 AM
Sailor Moon was the first "modern" anime that was shown in German TV back in the mid 90s. It was hugely popular for a while. It has a funky techno intro too.

Magmar
17th February 2009, 01:07 PM
Sailor Moon... might killy ou.

http://fc26.deviantart.com/fs25/f/2008/083/4/d/Sailor_Moon_Part_5_by_Foxi_5.jpg

Arctic A
19th February 2009, 06:42 PM
I was quite shocked, actually. I worked in a primary school here in the UK only last year and quite a few of the kids were into the Diamond/Pearl games. And here I was thinking that only old fans like myself still played.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
19th February 2009, 11:14 PM
That is actually a bit annoying at times. You think you're special because you play Pokemon but then find someone who reminds of times when you weren't. And then there is this, you think you are a good player but then comes a kid who owns you, for instance you finally catch a rare Pokemon and try to show off, when someone tells you something like: "Oh, that took a long time. I caught that Pokemon ages ago. It was easy."

I mostly enjoy meeting new Pokemon fans though. You know that you're not alone and you can learn something new from them as well.

PancaKe
20th February 2009, 08:41 PM
I watched the anime before I bought the game. Although; it wasn't long before I had roms and whatnot. :)

In comparison to other games that had anime's, pokemon was really weak. You can see their logic; new game, new anime about the game... but things like Digimon just surpassed the quality of pokemon's plots. Digimon didn't even really have a game plot and yet what an epic anime! Sure by the 4th or 5th season everyone was sick of it; but the first two or three seasons were amazing in terms of storylines etc.

Thorne_Darkrose
5th March 2009, 04:06 AM
I always loved the old episodes, of course I love all sorts of anime. I like DBZ just as much, but honestly the first anime I ever saw was pokemon, if not for it I wouldn't be the gamer and anime fan I am today. I think pokemon is losing its fan base because they have made SO many pokemon that kids are starting to think its getting a bit ridicilous. I mean think about it, when they had 251, it was still doing really well, but when they breached the 400 mark people started not caring as much. I think pokemon will always be great, but its going to lose some fans then regain them, thats how most anime and games work.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th March 2009, 04:46 AM
I think pokemon is losing its fan base because they have made SO many pokemon that kids are starting to think its getting a bit ridicilous. I mean think about it, when they had 251, it was still doing really well, but when they breached the 400 mark people started not caring as much. I think pokemon will always be great, but its going to lose some fans then regain them, thats how most anime and games work.

I disagree and agree. Kids don't actually think it's ridiculous these days, they are accustomed with the huge number of Pokemon. Litte kids have different reasons why they don't like Pokemon like that it's old. Also if, say, one's big brother likes Pokemon, the little brother has two options:

1) Go on with the big brother learning about Pokemon and follow his footsteps
2) Boycott Pokemon because his big brother is so crazy about it

Those who think the increasing number is stupid are the ones with more experience of the elder generations before Hoenn. They don't like the new Pokemon. Of course, there are lots of fans that like both old and new, like myself. And then there's the anime, which separates opinions as well.

But look at other animes and games, the interest drops and rises. And I also want to mention Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck ruled over children's minds for decades before Pokemon, DragonballZ, Sailor Moon, later with Naruto, Bleach joining in, and other Japanese products invaded.

Thorne_Darkrose
5th March 2009, 04:59 AM
Thats very true, and while I always was a fan of the classic pokemon, the new ones don't bother me that much. I have always looked at it from a fans point of view. They keep coming out with new pokemon because one, they are making a crap load of money off it, and two, it gives much greater variety. While I am all for variety however, it does bug me that all the old games can't trade in your old pokemon to the newer ones, like my level 99 Scizor from crystal cannot be traded to diamond or pearl, but if I get a Scyther with steel coat on Fire Red or Leaf Green then I can get it by trade after completing the mini mission of getting the sapphire and ruby.

Ten Seventy Seven
20th March 2009, 06:33 PM
The best seasons of Pokemon are Orange Isles

Dark-San
21st March 2009, 06:39 AM
In marketing terms, we would classify the brand 'Pokemon' as a product facing maturity in the Product Life Cycle. In simple layman term, we would say that Pokemon is dying a slow death. Without a doubt ever since Johto series is done with, the popularity of Pokemon has been seeing a skydive. A skydive so fatal, it will never reach its heydays during the Kanto series' audience viewership.

But from what I have seen so far, the corporate strategists has been slowly milking the brand. By releasing new Pokemons, new regions, they are just merely delaying the inevitable. When the sales of these games hit below a certain percentage, the thin fine line holding the fate of the Pokemon merchandise would be snapped and shelved off forever.

But these fellows are intelligent, they are sticking back to the basics of designing new games that some day this trend would get revitalized and bring back the crowds. This is a chance but a small one. For now, there are still some Pokemon loyalists supporting the products and the cartoon series. But I think these numbers are dwindling taking into account the number of better Japanese animated series popping out in numbers. These fans are deflecting into to these animes.

So ultimately to rebuild Pokemon back to its god mode status, to do it humanely efforts are not possible, only godly ones will.

Telume
21st March 2009, 12:56 PM
I don't think Pokemon's lost it's popularity, I think it's more a case of the people who grew up with it either grew out of it or stayed with it and just aren't as active in it as they used to be, or it could be the case that they just stick with one part of it like the games. I myself know that quite a few of my friends still play the games and even battle competitively.

It only looks like it lost popularity because there isn't as much hype about it as there was 10 years ago. (You know kids just rushing into stores to get the new games.) I think Pokemon has done a pretty good job of keeping its old fanbase, the people who grew up with it.

I will criticize the franchise for one thing though, they've done a horrible job with keeping the games simple and the storyline for the games have become kind of dry. If they do something like Gold and Silver again, I'm pretty sure that will appease the fans who've been longing for it like I have.

Jeff
21st March 2009, 01:05 PM
Pokemon will never have fad status again, but it is here to stay. Mario games went through a period when Mario-related stuff was everywhere: cartoon shows, cereals, even a live-action movie, but now all we have is the games. Same thing with Zelda, and now Pokemon. I can't imagine Nintendo would ever just stop making Mario or Zelda games, and I'm sure the same is true of Pokemon.

Zak
22nd March 2009, 02:43 AM
The anime had been originally my favorite part of Pokemon as most of you know, but I kinda stopped following it for two reasons;
-I left the US for a year so I couldn't watch it (not like that stops me from following what goes on in Japan, but that required the internet which I barely had access to and when I did I was busy and had a life)
-The voice actors changed. I know a lot of people said it's stupid to leave for that reason, but it really did turn me off. Well the change did happen right before I left, so I would have had to wait a year to give it a chance. But for someone that did lose interest I lasted longer than most. I got to the end of Hoenn and then pretty much quit in the middle of Battle Frontier. Most people who lost interest in the anime stopped at Orange or Johto. It seems everyone who made it 'till the end of Johto still follows it.
It's a shame though, Hoenn had some really good episodes to make up for Johto.

I do think one day when I have a lot of free time I will pick it up and marathon it all. From what I've seen on Serebii it seems like it changed for the better. Just haven't been bothered or had much freedom.

Crystal Mew
23rd March 2009, 04:14 PM
I stopped liking it when Misty left. haha...but then after that I still watched the anime, but when they changed the voice actors I was gone for good. Haven't really played the video games since then either.

I'm not sure if it's actually dying in popularity though...I work in a department store in the kid's section and I've been seeing a lot of pokemon clothes and toys around lately.

Telume
5th April 2009, 01:44 AM
Personally, I think that if Nintendo makes too many generations then it probably WILL lose popularity. (I don't even wanna think about what a Fifth Generation will cause.) Because lets face it, new gens but no new ideas make the franchise kind of dry, if they DO do anything with the current released generations it's remake them and adapt them so that it's possible to get stuff certain areas were deprived of (Celebi in North America's case and some of the event legendaries too.)

So if I were nintendo I'd probably stop with the Generations and stick with what we have and focus more on Pokemon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon, honestly the ideas aren't that bad they just need more time to mature, kind of like how the Gen I games were so horribly broken, but look at them now.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
7th April 2009, 03:57 AM
I have posted so many times in this topic, but.

Personally, I think that if Nintendo makes too many generations then it probably WILL lose popularity. (I don't even wanna think about what a Fifth Generation will cause.) Because lets face it, new gens but no new ideas make the franchise kind of dry, if they DO do anything with the current released generations it's remake them and adapt them so that it's possible to get stuff certain areas were deprived of (Celebi in North America's case and some of the event legendaries too.)

I think it already happened. Even when the second generation came out, many people thought 'What the heck! Those look like Digimon?' and every new generation made your average kids lose interest. But as for now, the new generations have kinda eliminated those who lose the interest too quickly and those who are left are the ones that don't mind if some new Pokemon come once in a while. My personal opinion on the generations:

The 1th Gen: Classical Pokemon rocked. I will never forget my Bulbasaur, which I evolved only into an Ivysaur on my noobishness. And I got Mew from ILikePokemon from Australia. Pokemon anime used to rock as well.

The 2nd Gen: The first new generation, but it came as a positive surprise. First I thought 'Hey what's with those creatures?' but then learned to enjoy. Adding Dark and Steel types were refreshing ideas. Note, however, that the second generation is the only one I haven't got a legal game. For some odd reason, I skipped it. And as far as anime was concerned, I didn't like Johto. It had its high points though, but all the characters were annoying.

The 3rd Gen: The new Pokemon felt OK, but I actually disliked the new ideas as the contest idea at first. In fact, only time plus seeing contests in TPM ASB taught me to like it. In the anime, after Johto, I placed some high expectations on Hoenn and that's why I was disappointed after seeing a few episodes. The Hoenn anime season is overrated, I think.

The 4th Gen: Sinnoh equals AWESOMENESS the new Pokemon AWESOMENESS right AWESOMENESS how many times do I have to say it? Instead of average (not-so-bad but no-so-good either) Hoenn Pokemon like Exploud or Crawdaunt we have awesome evolutions of the overlooked (a matter of opinion, but anyway) Pokemon like Gligar and Misdreavus plus very cool-looking new ones such as Skorupi and its evolution Drapion. The anime has renewed its former glory as well.