PDA

View Full Version : Beginning again... again

DivineAll
30th January 2009, 08:33 PM
Curious question: how many times have you restarted a your Pokémon game or any game in general? I've lost track of how many times I've replayed my Pokémon games out of just plain boredom or just to try and catch 'em all. Same goes for any other game... except for the Pokémon aspects. ^^

mr_pikachu
30th January 2009, 08:37 PM
It's actually been awhile since I restarted a Pokemon game. I did so with Red/Blue in order to get all the starters, but that hasn't been necessary in other generations since the third game doesn't mean a fourth starter. If I remember correctly, I restarted four times in order to get my team of Level 100 Mewtwo... never did finish the training, though.

If we're extending it to any game, I've lost count of how many times I restarted Super Mario RPG. Final Fantasy VII was also worth a couple of replays, as was FFIX.

Jeff
30th January 2009, 08:38 PM
I never restart any of my pokemon games. The thing with pokemon games is that once you finish them, that's just the beginning, at least in the newer ones.

The only time I actually restarted one of my pokemon games was Red, and that was by accident. Back then, my mom ran a day-care business out of our house and this one kid asked if he could "start a file" on my Red Version. Yeah, I just figured that pokemon games were like Zelda games in that you could save multiple files to the game.

classy_cat18
30th January 2009, 09:36 PM
The only time I actually restarted one of my pokemon games was Red, and that was by accident. Back then, my mom ran a day-care business out of our house and this one kid asked if he could "start a file" on my Red Version.

Heh, my older cousin almost did that to my Pokemon Silver. He didn't even ask; he just turned on my Game Boy and told me that he was playing it. Fortunately, I was able to stop him before the damage was done.

I might restart my FireRed version since I got as far as Cerulean before stopping for a long time then transferring my starter to Diamond.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
31st January 2009, 03:01 AM
I can tell you for the more recent ones. I have restarted my Pokémon Diamond and Fire Red once, Pokémon Ruby twice. I have played through Pokémon Leaf Green, Pearl, Emerald, Crystal and Sapphire once and never restarted as I only played through them to catch Pokémon and fill my Pokédex on Pearl up.

Before those, in the GB years, I have restarted Yellow, Blue, Red, Gold and Silver multiple times though I always used a particular cartridge to store all my Pokémon on.

Knight of Time
31st January 2009, 12:38 PM
Well, generally, the only time I restart any of the Pokemon games I own (Yellow, Gold, Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond, Pearl) is when I want to trade between the starters of one of the groups of games on the GBA or DS, with the GBA games, it requires me to use my Game Boy Player and GameCube to trade since there is only one GBA here, but for the DS games, I just borrow my brother's DS and trade between those two games for the starters. I know it is time consuming, but hey, I only restart when it becomes necessary, even if I was to complete any of the GBA/DS games while getting a completed Pokedex, it would be too much of a hassle to restart again, I mean, the Pokemon games are probably the longest games to complete 100%, which is why I generally don't like true restarts, unlike other games.

Crazy Elf Boy
31st January 2009, 07:50 PM
Well I have never started my emerald, diamond or pearl again. I have started Sapphire again for starters, Leaf Green for 3 different attempts at mono-type challenges, Ruby twice both times for mono-type challenges, my silver once by accident because my friend did the exact same Jeff's did and restarted my file overwriting my last one which I was quite pissed about since I had 248/251 and a red Donphan. Also my blue and red have had a few restarts because I was bored.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
1st February 2009, 12:54 AM
I haven't counted how many times I have started Pokemon or any other videogame again. I usually do it if

1) I haven't been playing the game for a while and have forgotten the plot or just how to play it
2) Something goes wrong, like I miss a certain oppoturnity
3) I want to make a music video (http://www.youtube.com/user/tanskatsuken)
4) The file is corrupted or accidentially deleted
5) Just for fun
6) Other reasons

In no particular order.

Blademaster
1st February 2009, 03:35 PM
'Tanskatsuken?'

I'm assuming that's Finnish. What's it mean?

I used to restart GSC just to see Pokedex entries for all three starter lines, and to see how far I could get 100%-ing the game without stopping/saving ('cuz the Save feature was busted by then, heh). I usually made it to about Goldenrod City/Route 36's Sudowoodo before my stamina gave out and I shut the GBA off. Sadface.

DarkestLight
2nd February 2009, 08:32 AM
Restarted only my Red version and my Gold Version. I started buying all the games to a set after that. Well, no untrue. Restarted Sapphire to test out Jirachi fix, found out it did work, and almost lost my Jirachi.

MeLoVeGhOsTs
3rd February 2009, 04:10 AM
I absolutely love the nostalgia of the first few badges, and cities.

<3 Azalea.

I just pick four pokemon along the way (and two HM slaves) and just defeat everything, then after destroying the champion I restart with four different pokemon.

So restarting is the only thing I do actually.

I just like experimenting with different pokemon, but I don't have the patience to train them up slowly, or defeating the league thousands of times, or just EV training in general.

Actually, I think I'll restart my Blue or Yellow catridge today.

Gnight
5th February 2009, 12:55 PM
I've never restarted a pokemon game because I would've devoted too much time in training my pokemon, not to mention the game not really being over when the credits roll. Normally when I get really bored with a pokemon game after a few years I just get the other version of it.