PDA

View Full Version : Weather

shazza
31st January 2009, 09:59 AM
Let's discuss weather.

What is the weather like for everyone right now? What's the hottest you've experienced? The coldest?

Well I live in the state of Victoria in Australia, and for the past 5 days it's been over 43C/109F. The other day it peaked at 45.4C/113.7F.

I haven't experienced or witnessed snow in my life, which may surprise a lot of you due to your history with it. The coldest I've felt is about -6C/21F.

Jeff
31st January 2009, 10:29 AM
Right now it's 35° F (2° C) and sunny. We got snow a few days ago, then it iced on top of that, and just yesterday I had to scrape frost off of my windshield. But all that stuff is mostly melted now, except in shady areas. February is usually a snowy month here, so we'll see how it goes.

MToolen
31st January 2009, 10:38 AM
My weather is about a day ahead of Jeff's; we're getting up to 45ºF (7ºC) today with no real precipitation in sight for a while. This past week we had little ice but about 9 inches (23cm) of snow to dig through. I was off school for two days and my university never closes.

mr_pikachu
31st January 2009, 11:16 AM
Yeah, it's warming up for me, too. We're at 22F (-6C for you sissies across the pond) right now. It's been going back and forth between this sort of weather and stuff below -10F (250K... ha!) for several weeks now. I fully expect that we'll spike above freezing and then plunge back to zero soon enough.

Lots of snow on the ground, if you were wondering. Makes it annoying to walk to classes in fancy pants and dress shoes. Teaching has its downsides.

Heald
31st January 2009, 11:34 AM
Sissies? Who the hell uses Fahrenheit, apart from cavemen who bash rocks against other rocks for fun? Water freezes at 0C, boils at 100C, it's a much better system.

Anyway, we're expecting -3C (don't know what this is in F, you cavemen have some sort of witchcraft or other mysticism in order to divine the calculation between the two scales that us in the more scientifically advanced nations have long since forgotten) here this weekend although today was actually pretty warm, so screw you Russia and your winds!

I heard you savages down under were experiencing record high temperatures. You lucky dogs.

Weasel Overlord
31st January 2009, 01:50 PM
According to my Google weather device thinger, it's around 3C at the momento, but it's supposedly gonna be -3 throughout the rest of the week. We DO have gale-force winds tonight though. I just got back into Lancaster about 4 hours ago and nearly got blown over, heh. It's apparently NE wind at 8km/h. Yay.

Crystal Mew
31st January 2009, 02:05 PM
Right now...it is about 45F (7.2C) sunny, hardly a cloud in the sky. pretty nice out considering its January.

The coldest its been here is maybe 10F(-12C) and the hottest...probably around 100F(37C)

I'm really not looking forward to summer..I hate when its unbearably hot. Though its no where near as hot as austrailia right now!

Blademaster
31st January 2009, 03:02 PM
Water freezes at 0C, boils at 100C, it's a much better system.

Pfft...

Everybody with a brain knows that water freezes at 273.15*K and it boils at 373.15*K.

Your Celsius/Fahrenheit crap is outdated, all. Kelvin doesn't need negatives. Now THAT'S a better system. :science:

Mystic_clown
31st January 2009, 03:23 PM
Everybody with a brain knows that water freezes at 273.15*K and it boils at 373.15*K.

Your Celsius/Fahrenheit crap is outdated, all. Kelvin doesn't need negatives. Now THAT'S a better system.

No, it just needs decimals.

Drusilla
31st January 2009, 03:33 PM
It's currently 70F and sunny as all hell here in Dallas... Still a bit on the cool side for me, though.

Blademaster
31st January 2009, 05:11 PM
No, it just needs decimals.

So does Farenheit and Celsius. :sweat:

It's about 270*K outside right now, so it's not too bad. Better than it's been, anyway.

Crazy Elf Boy
31st January 2009, 07:29 PM
Celsius is a much better system because it uses the 2 points of the stages of water people actually care about, 0 where water freezes and 100 where water boils. Kelvin is ok but I don't think anybody gives a shit about absolute zero also if you put that up on the weather channel most people who flick over to it will freak the hell out that it is 270 outside while it is snowing.

Also its been pretty warm about here, maybe 34-36 degrees Celsius

MToolen
31st January 2009, 09:13 PM
Just because it's better doesn't mean I like using it. I grew up on the Fahrenheit system the same way I grew up with English; I know Lojban is more logical but it doesn't mean I would appreciate its widespread use. One's upbringing, in my opinion, has a significant effect on the familiarity of measurements.

Heald
1st February 2009, 05:02 AM
True, but I'd bet it's easier trying to adapt to Celsius than trying to adapt to Fahrenheit. Whereas Celsius has easily referenced points (e.g. 0 is water freezing, 100 is water boiling etc), Fahrenheit is effectively some German saying, 'Fuck it', sticking a rod in a mixture of ice, water and ammonium chloride (a common household object) to determine 0 and then making it up as he went along. Hell, even Creationism has more scientific basis.

Number1ChanseyFan
1st February 2009, 08:40 AM
Meh, this has been the coldest/snowiest winter that I can ever remember... it was kinda like the winter that I had always dreamed of until it turned into a nightmare lol the ice that formed on the roof was terrible and caused the inside of the house to start leaking. It is supposed to be 40-something today though, which is good. I love winter and hate summer, but some of this ice/snow has to go.

Jay Umbreon
1st February 2009, 12:39 PM
erm, measurements and arguing aside..
here in England..
ITS BLOODY FREEZING. =/

bring on summer!

Mikachu Yukitatsu
2nd February 2009, 12:08 AM
Lots of snow here today, and -4C, I like it, though I love even colder weather. Looking at this thread, it seems weather isn't so boring subject after all.

I remember when I was a younger there used to be more these -30C frosts but not for a while. My hair was frozen often when I walked to school. One frost I can remember was one day several years ago when I walked to a shop two kilometers away twice in the freezing cold. The same day I captured Articuno in Pokemon Red. The hottest I have experienced was when I first watched por...no, Pokem...no, when I was in Italy, I think it was somewhere around +40C.

Weasel Overlord
2nd February 2009, 04:14 AM
IT SNOWED! *does the happy snow dance* Although it's also sunny, so I suspect that it will melt soon. :( It's also nowhere near thick enough to do anything useful with. There's probably about a centimetre, lawl.

DarkestLight
2nd February 2009, 08:38 AM
This whole concept of global warming can stay. Dun care if NY floods. I'm SICK of winter. I truly hate the weather between October and Early March.

Right now, it's going to be like 50F today? Something weird that makes people feel relief that spring's on the way. Bu its supposed to plunge and a nothe storm is supposed to come through.

I guess I also hate it because my coat weights about 20 pounds, and I have to run alot. So when Spring comes, I take off that coat and I can run faster longer, yeah, but I also feel lighter so I end up spraining something.

Magmar
2nd February 2009, 09:11 AM
It's around 40ºF and sunny here, (~4ºC) which is WARM!!!! We've had a bitter January, and we haven't seen the ground w/no snow since November. It would be nice for everything to thaw.

mr_pikachu
2nd February 2009, 10:41 PM
Over the next three days (four if you count today), my college isn't supposed to clear 0F (255K). Fun stuff.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
2nd February 2009, 11:29 PM
-4C again. Let me tell you, last summer here in Finland was very strange. The temperature was mostly only about +10C. I had no trouble with that, although some summer clothes were useless. I expected more variation because of the greenhouse phenomenon, like +10C one day and +30 another, but no.

However, we had some winters with more variation like between -30C and -5C. I remember now, it was December 2002 and we suddenly had like -35C or even -40C, the pictures posted in my former school's forum are missing, in Haapavesi which isn't so far away form where I live now.

Summer 2006 was funny too. It didn't rain at all. Or to be exact, it rained one day! We had just gone to pick some strawberries and suddenly some huge hailstones started to fall.

But last year it seemed we had +10C the whole year around! The winters do seem to get shorter at least if the Gulf Stream doesn't change its direction.

And Jeff, how do you write the ° sign in your keyboard? Do you just copy and paste it?

PancaKe
3rd February 2009, 12:18 AM
It's too hot. I wanted to go to the beach this Saturday but it looks like it'll be 43C. Which I think is like over 100F.

I just sit around and melt all day. I'm surprised my fishtank hasn't started to boil.

shazza
3rd February 2009, 12:42 AM
It was only 41C here today, which compared to the 46-47C temperatures we've had here the last few days, is extremely relaxing. :)

Also note: I made this thread on a Saturday night when I was really high and slightly drunk; it felt like forever to write all that.

Blademaster
3rd February 2009, 02:30 AM
I just sit around and melt all day.

Then how're you typing...? :B

MeLoVeGhOsTs
3rd February 2009, 02:45 AM
It's -3C here and snowing. It's cool to be inside and all then, but I'd like some sun and getting to walk around naked all the time.

Heald
3rd February 2009, 06:56 AM
-4 here in England. I'm literally snowed in. I live on top of a hill, a not very important hill, meaning the roads aren't gritted, meaning no one can actually drive out as the brakes won't work, and walking is even more of an issue due to lots of black ice all over the place.

Jeff
3rd February 2009, 07:59 AM
And Jeff, how do you write the ° sign in your keyboard? Do you just copy and paste it?

Windows character map FTW. After copying it from there I just ctrl-v it.

RedStarWarrior
3rd February 2009, 08:28 AM
I've got snow...lovely, lovely snow.

Eh, I've been to Death Valley, CA, and I've been on a glacial lake in Alaska. I guess those are the warming and coldest respectively.

Drago
3rd February 2009, 06:42 PM
My iPhone declares 20C, which feels downright mild. It's quite nice to finally have inhabitable weather. I doubt it'll come near the high of 29. Fantastic! Screw the heat...

Crazy Elf Boy
3rd February 2009, 07:18 PM
I haven't seen any heat around here in day, cause its been bloody raining all day

Little_Pikachu
4th February 2009, 04:56 PM
Weather has been pretty rubbish here lately, on Monday we had a load of snow, most of it is just pure ice now though. Apparently there is more on the way... All the flights were disrupted and canceled on monday and i'm meant to be going to New York on Friday so hopefull everything wont be fucked up then too :\

shazza
6th February 2009, 08:01 AM
Tomorrow marks the end of the fortnight heatwave we've had here, and it goes out with a bang. It's forecast to be a whopping 46C/115F, however in the sun it's probably going to reach 50C/122F. A group of us intend to go to the river and swim tomorrow, it should be fun. :)

The rest of the week will only be late 20's and early 30's; not too hot, not too cold... just right!

Drago
6th February 2009, 09:07 PM
40+ degrees on a Saturday when I'm at work and all the little kiddies have a day off in a venue packed to the gills... I'm liable to kill somebody tonight. :o

EDIT: But I have Chrono Trigger now! I have to avoid homicide... for Chrono Trigger.

midnightangel
7th February 2009, 03:15 AM
It seems that Florida goes through weather extremes from December through March and I hate it :P

It's usually between 60s-70s in the daytime to 40s-50s in the evening, which is nice--its comfortable and I like it.
But what sucks is that when we get the 'arctic blasts' from the North and it pushes the temperatures down to the teens and 20s at night for a couple of days and it gets no higher than 50 during the day. That is NOT FUN--especially when one has to go to work at night :(
Screw that, I'm staying in bed

The hottest it has been here has been jus over 100 (Not including the humidity--and yeah I melted that summer) and the coldest it has been for me has been the 40s to almost 50 in the daytime and 20s at night

Not fun for Florida

shazza
7th February 2009, 12:07 PM
Look what temperature records were set on Saturday in Australia (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25022581-661,00.html) and look at the bushfire crisis (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25018722-661,00.html).

MToolen
7th February 2009, 04:47 PM
After a couple weeks of ice and snow, St. Louis has had a few days of ridiculously good weather. Sunny and 60F/15C just gives me an extra perkiness I've been lacking for most of the winter.

mr_pikachu
7th February 2009, 04:52 PM
Yeah, we've had a sudden upswing in the temperature as well. I actually regretted bringing a jacket to campus yesterday. We'll see how long it lasts....

Blademaster
7th February 2009, 05:33 PM
I blame everything in this thread on global warming.

Asilynne
7th February 2009, 09:11 PM
Decimals suck. We should do away with them just like that one British school did away with apostrophes lol

Anyway Im loving this warm weather, makes me feel like my core is coming back to life. During the winter I always feel so dead inside :<

Jeff
7th February 2009, 09:40 PM
I blame everything in this thread on manbearpig.

Yeah, it's been nice taking a break from winter. I hate being cold unless there's snow to back it up. We've gotten a little bit of snow, but not enough. Well, six weeks left... (stupid groundhog and its stupid shadow :grumble:)

shazza
8th February 2009, 01:18 AM
63 have died so far in the fires in my state; some of my family are very close to them. :(

Jeff
7th March 2009, 03:12 PM
*revives*

So like I mentioned, just this past Monday we got a huge snowstorm, now today it's 70 degrees outside. We were just outside enjoying the nice spring-like day, throwing around a football, washing cars, and having a snowball fight with what little snow is left out there (yeah, we still have a couple of patches that haven't completely melted). Next week it's supposed to be cold and snowy again. That's March though, it's such a tease.

PancaKe
9th March 2009, 10:47 PM
Right now it's sunny.

Asilynne
11th March 2009, 09:41 PM
First of march dumped a shitload of snow on us, then it was like 75 degrees, and now its cold again. Im sick -.- *sniffles and coughs* I hate you march...