PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, Adjustments?

Zallarion
3rd February 2009, 07:36 AM
I got the moves from some website.

But i made the team myself, the purpose is to trade them too platinum..
when i buy it, at level 5, so some final evo's are first evo's
so i need to replace one or 2 so i can fight use hms(like fly)

Any additions are cool, need a good balance.. and i need to be able to get them at level 5;p

Slowking Special Attacker
Modest

~ Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Electric
~ Slack Off

Name Item Nature
Torterra Tank
Impish

Moveset
~ Wood Hammer
~ Earthquake / Stone Edge
~ Leech Seed
~ Stealth Rock / Protect

Gengar Standard
Timid / Hasty

Moveset
~ Hypnosis
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast / Focus Punch
~ Thunderbolt / Explosion

Lucario Swords Dance
Inner Focus
Adamant / Jolly

Moveset
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ ExtremeSpeed
~ Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Crunch

Weavile Revenge Killer
Jolly

Moveset
~ Pursuit
~ Ice Shard
~ Brick Break
~ Ice Punch / Night Slash

Magmortar Choice Specs
Modest

Moveset
~ Fire Blast / Overheat
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast
~ Hidden Power Ice

mr_pikachu
3rd February 2009, 02:34 PM
Quick question before rating: What's your last Pokemon? I see that it's something with a Modest nature that's wearing Choice Specs... *chuckles nervously*

Blademaster
3rd February 2009, 06:40 PM
Judging by the moveset, I'm guessing it's an Alakazam.

Zallarion
5th February 2009, 07:29 AM
No, it's a magmortar.. lol..

i need some hm pokémon for this is gonna be the team i'm trading to platinum o.o

Poryhedron
5th February 2009, 07:53 PM
Let's see, HMers...

You'll probably want:

Cut
Fly
Surf
Strength
Defog
Rock Smash
Waterfall
Rock Climb
Flash
Dig

You have on your team already:

Surf

That's nine moves left, so a minimum of three HMers. I recommend:

TURTWIG (Select from Prof. Rowan's Briefcase in Platinum)
Cut
Strength
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

STARLY (Catch in Route 201 or 202 in Platinum)
Fly
Defog
whatever (TM 46: Thief is an interesting option)
whatever

PSYDUCK (Catch in Oreburgh Gate basement after beating Roark)
Waterfall
Dig
Flash
whatever

...I might be able to reduce this to only two if you pick at least one of the moves I've listed that you don't want access to.

Zallarion
7th February 2009, 02:02 PM
Let's see, HMers...

You'll probably want:

Cut
Fly
Surf
Strength
Defog
Rock Smash
Waterfall
Rock Climb
Flash
Dig

You have on your team already:

Surf

That's nine moves left, so a minimum of three HMers. I recommend:

TURTWIG (Select from Prof. Rowan's Briefcase in Platinum)
Cut
Strength
Rock Smash
Rock Climb

STARLY (Catch in Route 201 or 202 in Platinum)
Fly
Defog
whatever (TM 46: Thief is an interesting option)
whatever

PSYDUCK (Catch in Oreburgh Gate basement after beating Roark)
Waterfall
Dig
Flash
whatever

...I might be able to reduce this to only two if you pick at least one of the moves I've listed that you don't want access to.

Very helpful, but i'm gonna trade them to platinum, friends idea.. o.o

mr_pikachu
7th February 2009, 03:30 PM
I assume you're wanting a standard team rating, then? Okay. Let's start with a simple weakness analysis.

Slowking (Water/Psychic) - Bug, Dark, Electric, Ghost, Grass
Torterra (Grass/Ground) - Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice (x4)
Gengar (Ghost/Poison) - Dark, Ghost, Ground (if no Levitate), Psychic
Lucario (Fighting/Steel) - Fighting, Fire, Ground
Weavile (Dark/Ice) - Bug, Fighting (4x), Fire, Rock, Steel
Magmortar (Fire) - Ground, Rock, Water

Bug - 3
Fire - 3
Ground - 3
Dark - 2
Fighting - 2
Ghost - 2
Rock - 2
Electric - 1
Flying - 1
Grass - 1
Ice - 1
Psychic - 1
Steel - 1
Water - 1
Dragon - 0
Normal - 0
Poison - 0

You have three 3x weaknesses here. In general, you usually don't want to have more than two Pokemon weak against any given type. On the other hand, you probably don't have to worry about Gengar being weak against Ground moves. That'll only be the case if Levitate is taken out of play, which shouldn't happen often.

In that case, you have Bug and Fire left to cause problems. You can eliminate both of these 3x weaknesses by dropping either Torterra or Weavile. That's your call. Personally, whichever one you choose, I'd replace it with a single-type Pokemon. It's hard to avoid numerous weak points when you have so many dual-type Pokemon; a decent standard tends to be three dual-types, three single-types. Shifting that ratio to 4-and-2 probably isn't a problem if you want more versatility, but you create a lot of holes by going 5-and-1 like in your current team.

Now, to the individual Pokemon... here's my advice.

Slowking Special Attacker @Leftovers/Choice Specs
Modest

~ Nasty Plot / Calm Mind
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam / Grass Knot / Hidden Power Electric
~ Slack Off

This looks similar to a moveset developed by aragornbird (http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/925601/49990), a former TPMer. If I was just looking at this Pokemon, I'd suggest Ice Beam due to its power. However, you already have several Ice attackers. If you keep Weavile, you should probably go with Grass Knot here. (It covers most Water-types as well as HP Electric, and your other Ice users should allow you to deal with the Flyers as well as Gyarados.) For your item, Leftovers are good; use Choice Specs if you run into an item clause or something.

Torterra Tank @Leftovers
Impish

Moveset
~ Wood Hammer
~ Earthquake / Stone Edge
~ Leech Seed
~ Stealth Rock / Protect

I like this set. Leech Seed combos very well with Stealth Rock (forces switches into damage) and Wood Hammer (healing recoil damage). For your fourth move, I'd go with EQ just because it's so powerful and you don't have it anywhere else.

Gengar Standard @Black Sludge/Life Orb
Timid / Hasty

Moveset
~ Hypnosis
~ Shadow Ball
~ Focus Blast / Focus Punch / Will-o-Wisp / HP Fire
~ Thunderbolt / Explosion

While this is fairly standard with Blast and T-Bolt, it's still not my favorite set. Both Focus Blast (inaccuracy) and Focus Punch (flinching) have problems, so I'd just drop them altogether. If you do that, you could probably make Genger either mess with statuses (i.e. add Will-o-Wisp) or lean toward sweeping with HP Fire. Your call, though. Like I said, this is viable as-is.

Lucario Swords Dance @Choice Band/Life Orb
Inner Focus
Adamant / Jolly

Moveset
~ Swords Dance
~ Close Combat
~ ExtremeSpeed / Bullet Punch
~ Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Crunch

I added Bullet Punch as an option if you use Choice Band; the STAB+item might make it useful for OHKOs against Rock/Ice pests. If you don't use Dark moves on Weavile, go with Crunch over Stone Edge. Swords Dance and sweep like crazy. Choice Band can make Lucario a slaughtering machine while Life Orb offers more versatility.

Weavile Revenge Killer @Life Orb/Expert Belt/Choice Band
Jolly

Moveset
~ Pursuit
~ Ice Shard / Night Slash / Dark Pulse
~ Brick Break
~ Ice Punch / Night Slash

Pursuit is a decent enough reason to double up Dark moves; it's better than Ice Shard+Ice Punch by a long shot. Ice Punch is the better Ice move by pretty much all accounts. Choice Band is a possible option for items, but it seems foolish to have that if you want to make use of Pursuit.

Magmortar @Choice Specs
Modest

Moveset
~ Fire Blast / Overheat / Flamethrower
~ Thunderbolt
~ Focus Blast / Focus Punch / Cross Chop / Psychic
~ Hidden Power Ice

Focus Blast is very inaccurate. For the sake of Blissey coverage, Focus Punch or Cross Chop actually deal more damage. I personally prefer Psychic for pure sweeping, especially with the Choice Specs.

Poryhedron
7th February 2009, 07:27 PM
Very helpful, but i'm gonna trade them to platinum, friends idea.. o.o

I know you're trading them to Platinum. That's why you're free to use the starter from Platinum as an HMer; because you're bringing in a Torterra battler from elsewhere. Or are you insisting you be able to trade the HMers into Platinum from elsewhere, too? There's really no reason to need that...with the possible exception of a Thieving Starly/Staraptor, you'll never need to send your HMers into combat.

Or maybe you're saying you need the HMers for getting through whichever game you're building this team in before sending them into Platinum. In that case, Turtwig does lose its viability as an HMer because you need to make it a battler...let's see...

BIDOOF (Catch in Route 201/2)
Cut
Rock Smash
Dig

STARLY (Catch in Route 201/2)
Fly
Defog
Thief

PSYDUCK (Catch in Oreburgh Gate basement)
Strength
Flash
Waterfall

...and either Bidoof or Psyduck will need to evolve in order to learn Rock Climb, although another option if you don't like raising HMers is to catch a wild Bibarel as you pass through Route 212, and replace Bidoof with it (if you get the Dig TM before catching Bibarel, don't teach it to Bidoof because there's only one TM 28 in the game.)

Zallarion
12th February 2009, 05:31 AM
I know you're trading them to Platinum. That's why you're free to use the starter from Platinum as an HMer; because you're bringing in a Torterra battler from elsewhere. Or are you insisting you be able to trade the HMers into Platinum from elsewhere, too? There's really no reason to need that...with the possible exception of a Thieving Starly/Staraptor, you'll never need to send your HMers into combat.

Or maybe you're saying you need the HMers for getting through whichever game you're building this team in before sending them into Platinum. In that case, Turtwig does lose its viability as an HMer because you need to make it a battler...let's see...

BIDOOF (Catch in Route 201/2)
Cut
Rock Smash
Dig

STARLY (Catch in Route 201/2)
Fly
Defog
Thief

PSYDUCK (Catch in Oreburgh Gate basement)
Strength
Flash
Waterfall

...and either Bidoof or Psyduck will need to evolve in order to learn Rock Climb, although another option if you don't like raising HMers is to catch a wild Bibarel as you pass through Route 212, and replace Bidoof with it (if you get the Dig TM before catching Bibarel, don't teach it to Bidoof because there's only one TM 28 in the game.)

THANK YOU:D