PDA

View Full Version : Training low level pkmn question...

happyslappysoong
23rd February 2009, 11:58 PM
If i train a low level pokemon by showing it a high level pokemon then withdrawing it, and it levels up multiple levels per wild battle, will it's stats increase in the same way as if it was actually battling a pokemon close to its level?

for example, i show a level 1 charmander to a level 80 Dragonite, it gains 2000 exp. It levels up a quite a few times, with stats increased each time per level. Will the stat gain be higher or lower than say, if it was vs'ing level 1 bidoofs?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks in advance.
Daniel

mr_pikachu
24th February 2009, 12:14 AM
I understand what you're asking... it's slightly complicated to answer.

A given Pokemon's stats are determined by four main factors: IVs, EVs, nature, and level. The IVs and nature obviously aren't changing between the two scenarios. You're gaining levels a lot more quickly in the Dragonite example, but that leaves you less time to get EVs. So, your stat increase probably won't be as great from, say, Lv. 10 to Lv. 11 as it would have been if you'd spent your time fighting Lv. 1 wimps. (Of course, your EV points max out at 510, so it doesn't make any difference in the long run anyway.)

Does that make sense?

happyslappysoong
24th February 2009, 01:55 AM
I understand what you're asking... it's slightly complicated to answer.

A given Pokemon's stats are determined by four main factors: IVs, EVs, nature, and level. The IVs and nature obviously aren't changing between the two scenarios. You're gaining levels a lot more quickly in the Dragonite example, but that leaves you less time to get EVs. So, your stat increase probably won't be as great from, say, Lv. 10 to Lv. 11 as it would have been if you'd spent your time fighting Lv. 1 wimps. (Of course, your EV points max out at 510, so it doesn't make any difference in the long run anyway.)

Does that make sense?

Kind of? So your saying as long as i save enough level ups to max out EVs then it should be fine right?

Jeff
24th February 2009, 09:30 AM
EVs increase by the same amount every time you fight a pokemon of a particular species. So if you fight 100 Starlys for example, you'll get 100 Speed EVs (if you aren't using Macho Brace or Pokerus). It doesn't matter if those Starlys are level 2 or 100, you'll get the same 1 speed EV each, even though the Exp increase is different. The best thing to do is fight lower-level pokemon until your EVs are maxed, then train against higher-level pokemon to level up.

mr_pikachu
24th February 2009, 03:11 PM
I pretty much concur with Jeff. The good thing about starting with lower-level Pokemon is that it's generally faster to get the EVs, and you have a little more control over what EVs you're encountering. Higher-level areas often have a wider variety of opponents, making it difficult to seek a particular EV type anyway (like, say, Defense EVs).

Since you max out at 510 EVs, it's a good idea to strategically seek particular EV types - you don't have enough to get the maximum in more than two areas. EV development is generally best done carefully... then you can blow away those beasts for fun.