PDA

View Full Version : telephones, rude callers and telemarketers

PancaKe
5th March 2009, 07:25 PM
I think these telemarketers are getting ruder.

I had one call me a while ago, asking to speak to the manager regarding a "printer cartridge buy back offer" where they bought back empty cartridges. Managers don't have time to deal with this; especially the one they were after - so my reply was "look, I really don't think he'd be interested."

She replied with, "Oh, right, so he's not interested in recycling?"

And I was like so mad! How rude.

I do feel sorry for them though. I mean, I used to be one so I can understand you just get fed up with stupid excuses and rejection - but seriously. Like the telemarketer that hung up on me; he made me so mad I wanted to punch the phone.

So yeah ; rude phone calls anyone? Are you ever tempted to call up teh companies and yell at them for rude people you speak to on the phone? All general phone stories will do. :)

Crazy Elf Boy
5th March 2009, 07:36 PM
I had this one telemarketer who I got really annoyed at so I just kept saying "a-huh" and "yeh" to him the whole time while playing my games, then I put the phone down for a bit and just let him keep on talking. After a while I remembered the phone so I picked it back up again and he was still talking after like 10 minutes.

Then there was this other time when a telemarketer called me and I hung up on them, they then had the nerve to ring me back and say "Oh must have been a bad conncection" and I was like "No I hung up on you so go away"

PancaKe
5th March 2009, 07:53 PM
Then there was this other time when a telemarketer called me and I hung up on them, they then had the nerve to ring me back and say "Oh must have been a bad conncection" and I was like "No I hung up on you so go away"

Rofl I loved doing that.
I was an evil telemarketer

Jeff
5th March 2009, 07:56 PM
Do any other countries have a national "do not call" list? It's a beautiful thing.

Crystal Mew
5th March 2009, 08:03 PM
I just hang up right away on telemarketers. lol, my best friend's brother once put the phone aside and started playing his trumpet for minutes on end, and since they can't hang the phone up when they call you they had to listen to the whole thing, stuff like that is awesome.

Knight of Time
5th March 2009, 08:06 PM
I tend to hang up right away on telemarketers, I mean, when it comes to things like surveys, they bore me to death.

Of course, when it comes to telephones, another issue I have (wonder if any of you guys have had this happen before) is when some callers seem to hang up before I reach them, so it's almost like "knock knock" in telephone form, which is not very funny IMO.

PancaKe
5th March 2009, 08:08 PM
since they can't hang the phone up when they call you they had to listen to the whole thing, stuff like that is awesome.

Really? When I was a telemarketer I hung up on heaps of people. My view was, I wasn't paid to get abused; I was just paid to make people answer five quick questions in yes or no, higher or lower format.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
5th March 2009, 11:09 PM
Do any other countries have a national "do not call" list? It's a beautiful thing.

I don't know. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_not_call

I get no telemarketers, and I have a prepaid extension. I don't even know if that's because I don't get them.

I have heard some funny stories about telemarketers though. And once in High School a mate began to talk this and that with the telemarketer and my other classmates wondered why on earth he chatted with a telemarketer.

Drago
6th March 2009, 05:19 AM
We have a business phone that we use as our primary number. It's unlisted, so we usually don't have to worry about telemarketers. Whenever there's a call on the home phone, it's generally a telemarketer. For this reason, I've taken to answering that phone in a high pitched voice; can't bug me if I'm not 18.

Thorne_Darkrose
6th March 2009, 05:30 AM
We had a telemarketer call here once and I answered the phone because they had been calling all day. So when I answered the phone they asked if my fiancee's mom and dad would like to take this exclusive offer and I told them we weren't interested. The guy got rude with me, saying something to the amount of "Well I'd rather hear it from them than someone who just lives there." I freakin lost it ont he guy. I swear I invented curse words screamin at him, all the while this guy was on the other end of the phone shocked out of his mind. After I finished my five minute curse-a-thon I told him to never call our house again and to go F*** himself. I think I had to have been the worst person for him to get that day, considderingit was the anniversary of my grandmothers death and I was in a particularly foul mood.

Katie
6th March 2009, 09:38 AM
I try to be somewhat nice to telemarketers because my aunt used to be one. People can be rude as hell to someone just doing their job that is paid on commission, so why be rude and waste both of your time and not just say "I'm not interested / Take me off of your call list" and promptly hang up? So much quicker!

My problem is that I get recorded telemarketers calling on my cell phone. Not only is it illegal to telemarket cell lines (as well as emergency numbers), my phone is also on the Do Not Call list. The number is never the same (but always starts with either 866 or 877) so I can't block it (I'm not sure I can block numbers on my phone anyway). I don't think it's even all the same company, I just gave the wrong company my number though, because my number was sold to someone who sold it to someone... It's not even always the same message/"offer". Sometimes it's even in Spanish! What the hell do I do? I'm honestly considering changing my number because of these idiots, they call almost every single day, sometimes up to 3 times in a day, and have for the past 3 years and I'm tired of apologizing to professors when I forget to turn my phone off for just one day. Eurgh. :(

Crystal Mew
6th March 2009, 12:29 PM
Really? When I was a telemarketer I hung up on heaps of people. My view was, I wasn't paid to get abused; I was just paid to make people answer five quick questions in yes or no, higher or lower format.

We have a ton of call centers around here, and everyone I know who works at one says how annoying it is cause they can't hang up on people, and people tend to do stuff like playing instruments at them for a while.

I'm never really mean to telemarketers, which is a good thing probably cause I might get a telemarketing job soon.

I dunno though, I hear its really hard to work at one, but since we have so many, I might work at a catolog one that just takes in bound calls.

and Katie, I think if you're still getting these calls even when you're on a do not call list, I'd retry and submit my number again to the list, and if that didnt work I think I would change it.

Whenever someone calls with a number I dont know I just ignore it and if they're important enough they'll leave a voicemail.

edit: I cant fing spell today

PNT510
6th March 2009, 01:13 PM
No telemarkets call my house. Just collection agencies. >_<

Blademaster
6th March 2009, 03:39 PM
The proper way to deal with telemarketers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI&feature=channel_page)