PDA

View Full Version : Open Challenge - 2vs2 (my first battle). Ref: Anti-R*cketship

TheBlueDragon
12th December 2002, 09:21 PM
Alright, so I finally have been approved. After 4 posts (and 3 days) waiting for replies on the Approval Tower, it finally finished. So now i'm here, waiting for someone to accept my challenge.

The rules are:
- 2 vs. 2
- I send out pokémon first
- You attack first.
- DQ time: 1 week

The Arena is your standard Pokémon Stadium. No roof, clay ground, a big pokéball drawn in the middle, platforms for the trainers, but no big screen with the battle's results (something here HAS to be original, right? ;) )

I'll start out by sending Doodenki, my Magnemite! (who is genderless, but if the ref wants, may call it a "he" :P)

Anti-R*cketship
12th December 2002, 09:23 PM
Your first battle and my first Reffing job. This should be good.

And genderless will always be "it" in my books.

TheBlueDragon
12th December 2002, 09:26 PM
wow, that was fast... now the only thing I need is someone to fight against :D

EDIT: I tried editing the topic title, but it didn't quite work. I'll wait for a mod to do it when the battle begins.

Oddish17
12th December 2002, 09:28 PM
I'll battle you. As soon as I remember who else is on my team, I'll post my attacks. Shouldn't be too long.

Oddish17
12th December 2002, 09:39 PM
I was going to edit my post, but I didn't want you to think I was cheating or something :(. So, in a spamtastic way, I double post with my pokemon and my attacks.

I choose Delica, my Female Growlithe.

Start off with Double Team. After that, use Agility to boost up your speed. Finish off with with Fire Spin.

Double Team ~ Agility ~ Fire Spin

TheBlueDragon
13th December 2002, 04:22 AM
Alright Doodenki, I know we can beat that Growlithe!

Start with a Flash! Blind him!

Then use a Rain Dance. With some luck, all the clones will be destroyed.

And then, with everything wet, finish off with a Thunder!

Flash ~ Rain Dance ~ Thunder

Anti-R*cketship
13th December 2002, 07:49 AM
Round 1

Growlithe (F) Delica 100%, no fatigue
Magnemite (?) Doodenki 100%, no fatigue

pre-battle
After the incident in the Mock Battle, I made sure to pay close attention to everything that I was told when being given instructions for this reffing. I step off the bus. I would have a car, but I only have 10 Yen. Anyways, I enter the Indigo Stadium. The memories of all the great battles that had taken place in here instantly wash over me. Then I remember; this isn't the time to get bogged down in history, I have a battle to ref. I step to the Ref's spot on the center-line of the stadium and declare the battle open. "Kenji has challenged The Blue Dragon," I say, "This will be a 2 vs. 2 match up. Trainers, choose your Pokemon."

The Blue Dragon was the first to release his Pokemon. "I choose... Doodenki!" he said. He tossed his Pokeball and released a Magnemite.

"A magnemite huh," said Kenji, the more experienced Trainer, "in that case, go Delica." No longer an enthusiastic rookie, he just held out his Pokeball in his hand and a Female Growlithe popped out.

I pull out my Official Reffing Flags and, waving them down, I say one simple word to get everything in motion.

"BEGIN!"

"Delica", Kenji orders his Pokemon with certainty, "Start off with Double Team. After that, use Agility to boost up your speed. Finish off with with Fire Spin."

"Alright, Doodenki," The Blue Dragon says, seeming surprisingly confident for someone in his first match, "Start with a Flash! Blind him! Then use a Rain Dance. With some luck, all the clones will be destroyed. And then, with everything wet, finish off with a Thunder!"

The Pokemon nod (or shake up and down in Doodenki's case) then face each other from opposite sides of the stadium.

Delica concentrates, and all of a sudden Doodenki is surrounded by bit... (Sadako: You shouldn't say that.) What, they're female dog types, so... (Sadako: Just concentrate on the battle) Stupid Gastly... Anyways, Doodenki finds itself surrounded by Growlithe, as Double-Team creates five clones. The Magnemite is somewhat confused, but not phased at all. It glows with a brilliant light, and as it gets ready to blind everyone in the room, I put on a pair of sunglasses. The room is filled with light and... hey, where did everything go?

Sadako: Well, with him out of commission, it looks like I'm going to have to ref for now. Delica runs around the room with incredible speed, and let me tell you, the sight of six Growlithes circling you is quite daunting. Yet through all this, Doodenki looks calm. It closes its eye and chants "bring down the rain to aid my battle." Of course, to you humans, it sounds more like "mite, magnemite, mag" In any case, the sky fills with dark clouds and rain starts pouring down. The clones are destroyed by the falling rain and Delica is grateful not to be an Arcanine made purely of fire. She unleashes a tiny Fire-tornado at her opponent, but it fizzles out before it can do much damage. Doodenki, however, takes advantage of the rainfall and unleashes a cone of electricity at his soaked opponent. She is sent flying backwards, with static crackling in her fur.

My trainer can see again, so he'll be taking over now.

post-battle statistics

Delica - 90% health, slight fatigue, vision still slightly clouded
Doodenki - 98% health, low fatigue

Arena: Rain Prayer in effect for four more turns.

TheBlueDragon
13th December 2002, 09:00 AM
Doin' fine 'till now, Doodenki! Now it's our turn to attack first.

Start with a Supersonic. Keep going on and use a Thunder Wave. Then, Tackle her.

Supersonic ~ Thunder Wave ~ Tackle

Oddish17
13th December 2002, 10:55 AM
Oh how I hate the rain. Alright Delica, that Magnemite's plans won't work. Since you have boosted speed, you'll be able to get off a Safeguard before anything can happen to you. After that, use Clear Skies to get rid of this rain. This last bit should be easy, Doodenki will be coming straight at you. Let it have your best Flamethrower.

Safeguard ~ Clear Skies ~ Flamethrower

Anti-R*cketship
13th December 2002, 12:23 PM
Round 2

Delica 90% health, slight fatigue, vision still partly clouded
Doodenki 98% health, low fatigue

BATTLE ON

"Doodenki," TheBlueDragon says, "Start with a supersonic, keep going on and use a Thunder Wave, then Tackle her."

"Alright, Delica," Kenji says confidently, "that Magnemite's plans won't work. Since you have boosted speed, you'll be able to get off a Safeguard. After that, use Clear Skies to get rid of the rain. This last bit should be easy, Doodenki will be coming right at you, let it have your best Flamethrower."

Again, the Pokemon show that they understand the instructions.

Delica creates a protective barrier of stars as Doodenki lets loose with... OH GOD, MY EARS ARE BLEEDING!

Sadako: They set up a nice Ref's booth for you, but you just HAD to be a 'traditional' ref here. Looks like I'm on again.

Call 911!

Sadako: Shut up, human. Anyways, Doodenki's Supersonic attack did affect a major nuisance here, but unfortunately it had no impact on Delica. Delica puts a stop to the rain and Clears the Skies while Doodenki tries in vain to get a paralyzing Thunder Wave through her safeguard. After that failure, Doodenki goes charging towards its opponent, attempting to use a Tackle attack. Delica just stands there as it approaches, then at the last second fires off a Flamethrower. The Steel/Electric type is set ablaze, but Delica forgot to take one thing into account: being hit by a flaming ball of metal really hurts. As Delica is knocked backwards again, Doodenki cools off. I declare the match over and watch as AR is carried away by the paramedics. Looks like I'm the ref here now.

post-battle stats

Delica: 88% health, safeguard in effect for 3 turns, low fatigue
Doodenki: 78% health, medium-low fatigue

Arena: Clear Skies in effect for four more turns.

Note: TBD, If you want to argue the 20% damage from Flamethrower, let's start here: 5% damage. Times type advantage, times Clear Skies. You're just lucky I didn't factor STAB in.

EDIT: Whoops, damage corrected. Sorry TBD

Oddish17
13th December 2002, 12:37 PM
:wave: Bye bye AR! I have no clue who Sadako is, but oh well.

Great job, Delica. With Safeguard in effect, and the agility, you're doing great. Start off by putting up a Reflect. Follow with a medium sized Substitute, and finish off with Dragon Rage.

TheBlueDragon
13th December 2002, 12:57 PM
Alright, Doodenki, it's our chance!

Start with a Swift, that will hit her no matter what. Then, use a Double Team. And when she fires the Dragon Rage, Rollout out of the way and hit her/the sub/the barrier. :P

P.S. - Sadako is his Gastly :P

P.S.˛ - I'm not complaining. But you said 20%, and it did 26% :P

Anti-R*cketship
13th December 2002, 03:18 PM
Sorry TBD. I was in a hurry to get it done so I wasn't late for school and I messed up on the damage. Oh, and you get bonus points if you guess the origin of Sadako's name.

Delica: 88% health, safeguard in effect for 3 turns, low fatigue
Doodenki: 78% health, medium-low fatigue

Arena: Clear Skies in effect for four more turns.

Sadako here. While the doctors try to stop AR's brain hemhoraging from the last round, I'll be reffing again. However, since I'm a Pokemon, the reffing money will go to him anyhow. I tell you, life isn't fair.

BATTLE ON

"Great job, Delica," Kenji says, complimenting his Pokemon on her potent attack last round. "With Safeguard in effect, and the agility, you're doing great. Start off by putting up a Reflect. Follow with a medium sized Substitute, and finish off with Dragon Rage."

"Alright, Doodenki, it's our chance!" TheBlueDragon says with all the enthusiasm he had in the first round. "Start with a Swift, that will hit her no matter what. Then, use a Double Team. And when she fires the Dragon Rage, Rollout out of the way and hit her/the sub/the barrier."

The two nod and say "I shan't fail you, Master", but you humans only hear "Growl" and "Mite."

Doodenki fires off a Swift at its opponent. Delica sets up a yellowish shield in front of her to protect her from physical damage. The stars pass through the shield, but olny half make it through. The remaining stars zero in on Delica, who once again finds herself flying backwards. Delica is battered, but far from beaten. She sacrifices some of her health to set up a Substitute to absorb any further damage which may come. Meanwhile, Doodenki is setting up some confusion of his own, by filling the arena with Magnemite. Okay, so there's only five more, but that's still bound to confuse Delica. Delica unleashes a wave of Dragon-energy into a sphere-shape as her opponent rolls into a ball and crashes into the Sub. But which one is real? She can't figure this out as she fires the energy at the nearest Magnemite. Which evaporates. Nice try anyways.

post-battle stats

Delica: slowing down, 73% health, Safeguard down, medium fatigue, Substitute at 12%
Doodenki: rolling and gaining speed, 78% health, medium-low fatigue, four clones

Arena: Skies clear for one more turn.

TheBlueDragon
13th December 2002, 07:20 PM
Alright Doodenki.

Let's take advantage of your increasing speed. Keep rolling and hitting him a couple more times. Then stop. If she doesn't attack you at that last turn, just take a break. If she attacks, set up a Reflect shield!

Rollout ~ Rollout ~ Take a Break/Reflect

Oddish17
13th December 2002, 09:39 PM
Whoever heard of a rolling Magnemite? Just keep on rollin' baby...

Well, this should be easy. While that Magnemite is rolling around, it'll be aiming for your sub. Since it can't tell that the sub isn't the real you, I want you to Dig underground. Since Doodenki will be attacking the sub and not you, it will never notice. That's when you come up underneath it and finish off the Dig attack. Magnemite is incredibly weak to ground attacks, so it should do some nice damage. I want you to take your time with the Dig, so take two turns to get it perfect. Wait underground in front of your sub, then attack when Doodanki rolls into the sub. That will be perfect. Finish off with a Flamethrower, it will be tossed around with Dig it shouldn't have time to put up a Reflect.

I certainly do go into detail for my attacks ^^;;

Dig(two turns) ~ Flamethrower

Anti-R*cketship
14th December 2002, 12:10 AM
Ah, I remember the days before I became a ref. I actually had time to myself. Ah well, I'm earning this paycheck, which from this gruelling battle alone had best be on the high side.

Delica: slowing down, 73% health, Safeguard down, medium fatigue, Substitute at 12%
Doodenki: rolling and gaining speed, 78% health, medium-low fatigue, four clones

Arena: Skies clear for one more turn.

After some time in the hospital I have decideds to stay up in my reffing booth where I will avoid any and all effects of attacks. Sadako, however, refuses to go back into her Pokéball.

Sadako: No way, pal. I've tasted freedom and I'm not going back.

Fine, just sit there and don't cause any trouble.

Sadako: I'll cause whatever I want.

*sweatdrop* Look, at least keep it from looking like I have a bias here.

Sadako: Fine. I'll behave.

Good. You don't want to hurt anyone

Sadako: But I do. And I'm sorry. It won't stop.

Okay, that's enough of that.

BEGIN

"Alright Doodenki," TBD says, "Let's take advantage of your increasing speed. Keep rolling and hitting him a couple more times. Then stop. If she doesn't attack you at that last turn, just take a break. If she attacks, set up a Reflect shield!"

"Well, this should be easy," Kenji says. "While that Magnemite is rolling around, it'll be aiming for your sub. Since it can't tell that the sub isn't the real you, I want you to Dig underground. Since Doodenki will be attacking the sub and not you, it will never notice. That's when you come up underneath it and finish off the Dig attack. Magnemite is incredibly weak to ground attacks, so it should do some nice damage. I want you to take your time with the Dig, so take two turns to get it perfect. Wait underground in front of your sub, then attack when Doodanki rolls into the sub. That will be perfect. Finish off with a Flamethrower, it will be tossed around with Dig it shouldn't have time to put up a Reflect." He certainly does go into details on his attacks.

Doodenki continues rolling and crashes into what it presumes to be its opponent. Meanwhile, the real Delica digs underground. The sky darkens as clouds appear again. Still increasing speed with its Rollout, Doodenki crashes into its presumed opponent. To its utter horror, 'Delica' shatters. Doodenki is stunned by this revelation, sure this was a battle, but it wasn't supposed to be fatal. As Doodenki is still looking stunned by the fate of its opponent, it feels a slight shake below it. The Magnemite is flung into the air by the re-emergence of its opponent. Delica keeps an eye on the real Magnemite as it flies so as not to lose her opponent. Regaining its bearings, Doodenki sets up a Reflect. Of course, Delica's Flamethrower attack is most definitely not a Physical attack. Doodenki is fried as it tries to take a much-needed break.

post-battle stats

Delica: 73% health, Substitute destroyed, high fatigue
Doodenki: 47% health, medium fatigue, four clones

Arena: Sadako watches on, floating around randomly.

Damage summary (to avoid arguments): Dig: 20% (5%, supereffective vs Steel (damage x2), supereffective vs. Electric (damage x2))
Flamethrower: 11% (5%, supereffective vs Steel (damage x2), STAB (damage x1.1))

Oddish17
14th December 2002, 12:35 AM
Great job Delica. You're doing wonderful. Although I can't help but notice you're getting tired. Alright then, lets see if we can help that. Put up another medium-sized Substitute, then use Swagger. After that, relax for your third turn, to work off some of that fatigue.

Substitute(medium) ~ Swagger ~ Relax

On another note, you don't have to ref this often if it's too much, ARS. I know how you feel, though. When I first started I was reffing like crazy. I had a tough time remembering which battle was which. As for the paycheck, I got 40Ľ for my work, which wasn't terrible, since I had to leave ASB for a while. Don't forget you also get yen from each specific battle, although not much. The ref gets yen equivalent to double the pokemon used. So this battle you'll get 4Ľ. Not very much, but it's better then nothing.

On yet another side note, I'd like to battle you sometime. Of course I'd come up with a much more exciting arena ^_^.

Anti-R*cketship
14th December 2002, 02:23 AM
You want to make that a challenge, Kenji?

TheBlueDragon
14th December 2002, 04:59 AM
Hey... just... where are Doodenki's clones? :confused:
Even if he had luck to hit with BOTH the Dig and the Flamethrower, I should still have the DT clones here, right?

Please, take that into account, and only then i'll post my attacks.

P.S - Qutoes from the Team Approval Tower : "Sadako was the name of the cursed child in the original Japanese version of 'The Ring'".

:-D

Anti-R*cketship
14th December 2002, 10:51 AM
Okay, it's corrected now and the accuracy is explained.

Oddish17
14th December 2002, 11:15 AM
I'll have to challenge you after I catch another pokemon. I hate my team right now. Then you can feel the wrath of Kenji >=)

*ahem* Well you get my drift...

Clones won't matter for a swagger attack, although I forgot about them too. Ho hum.

TheBlueDragon
14th December 2002, 02:14 PM
Now that's better :D

Doodenki, do your best! That match is still far from over! We're losing, but I know we can do it!

Start with a small-sized Substitute of your own. That'll confuse her a little. Then, Take a Break/Relax/whatever. Let's keep that fatigue from getting high. Finish it with a good Thunderbolt! I think that will get Delica off-guard.

Substitute(Small) ~ Take a Break ~ Thunderbolt

Anti-R*cketship
15th December 2002, 12:34 AM
ROUND FIVE

Delica: 73% health, Substitute destroyed, high fatigue
Doodenki: 47% health, medium fatigue, four clones

Arena: Sadako watches on, floating around randomly.

BATTLE ON

"Great job Delica," Kenji says. "You're doing wonderful. Although I can't help but notice you're getting tired. Alright then, lets see if we can help that. Put up another medium-sized Substitute, then use Swagger. After that, relax for your third turn, to work off some of that fatigue."

"Doodenki," TBD says with all the confidence of a young Ash Ketchum (Sadako: Ooh, name-dropping. Very subtle.), "do your best! That match is still far from over! We're losing, but I know we can do it!

Start with a small-sized Substitute of your own. That'll confuse her a little. Then, Take a Break/Relax/whatever. Let's keep that fatigue from getting high. Finish it with a good Thunderbolt! I think that will get Delica off-guard."

The two Pokemon signal they are ready and the battle begins. Delica and Doodenki both expend some of their energy to create Substitutes.

Sadako: You can feel the intensity in this battle.

Nobody likes a smartass. Anyways, Doodenki prepares for a rest, but Delica turns around, moons it, then turns back around and barks something at it.

Sadako: Goodness! Do you lick your mother with that tongue?

Doodenki is enraged and charges at what it assumes to be Delica. It tackles 'Delica' in its rage. Delica is amused at this show and takes a rest while Doodenki fries the substitute with a Thunderbolt.

Post-battle

Doodenki: 37% health, substitute 11%, four clones, medium-high fatigue.

Delica: 58% health, substitute 11% (see damage summary), medium fatigue.

Arena: Sadako still watches.

Damage Summary: Delica's sub 17% - 6% (Thunderbolt with STAB) - 2% (Tackle)

Oops, high TB damage corrected.

TheBlueDragon
15th December 2002, 05:23 AM
Let's keep this goin' on, Doodenki.

First of all, do what you didn't last turn, Take a Break. Then, use a Swift Attack, and finish with another Thunderbolt

Take a Break ~ Swift ~ Thunderbolt

Oddish17
15th December 2002, 12:04 PM
Hmm, I had no idea Delica had that type of personality. Certainly doesn't take after me...

Alright, try to watch your mouth from now on, eh Delica? Anyways, good job. We'll use a similar strategy as before. Start off with a Flamethrower to destroy that sub. Then, Flamethrower again. Finish off with a Dig Attack, to avoid that Thunderbolt and cause some damage.

Flamethrower ~ Flamethrower ~ Dig

Anti-R*cketship
15th December 2002, 06:18 PM
ROUND 6

Doodenki: 37% health, substitute 11%, four clones, medium-high fatigue.

Delica: 58% health, substitute 11% (see damage summary), medium fatigue.

Arena: Sadako still watches.

Sadako, what are you waiting for?

Sadako: I've got a thing for the number seven.

You're not going to kill the contestants and horribly disfigure their faces, are you?

Sadako: I make no promises.

Excuse me while I try to recall Sadako to her Pokeball.

Sadako: I'll be good.

BATTLE ON!

"Let's keep this goin' on Doodenki," says TBD, gaining new faith in his Pokemon. "First of all, do what you didn't last turn, Take a Break. Then, use a Swift Attack, and finish with another Thunderbolt"

Sadako floats up to Kenji and tells him what Delica said to get Doodenki so riled up last round. His face changes to one of shock. "Try to watch your mouth from now on, eh Delica?" he says to his Pokemon. "Anyways, good job. We'll use a similar strategy as before. Start off with a Flamethrower to destroy that sub. Then, Flamethrower again. Finish off with a Dig Attack, to avoid that Thunderbolt and cause some damage."

The two Pokemon nod and begin the round. Doodenki has calmed down considerably since its mockery in the last round. It finally takes its much-needed break. Delica fires her Flamethrower at one of the Magnemites she sees around her, but as it dissipates into thin-air she knows she's hit a clone. Not noticing the direction the Flamethrower came from, Doodenki fires a Swift attack at 'Delica'. Not surprisingly, the attack hits the Substitute. At the same time, Delica fires off a second Flamethrower. This time the attack hits something of substance and Doodenki's Substitute is destroyed by the attack. Delica howls at the fate of her opponent, but knows she can't let her emotions cloud her battle. Doodenki fires a Thunderbolt at Delica's Sub, which seems to disappear underground. Just as it is wondering what happened to its opponent its question is answered as the real Delica pops up from underground, hitting it hard.

post-battle stats

Delica: 58% health, 7% Substitute, high-fatigue

Doodenki: 17% health, Substitute destroyed, medium fatigue.

Arena: Sadako is developing a mischevious glare in her eyes...

Damage Summary: Doodenki sub 11% - 11% (supereffective flamethrower with STAB) = 0

Delica sub 11% - 4% (swift) = 7%

Doodenki 37% - 20% (double-supereffective dig) = 17%

Additional Info: I randomized the results for the first Flamethrower by having someone chose one of my fingers at random (index was the sub, all others were clones) and the second Flamethrower and the Dig were done by flipping 2 coins. (both heads = target, all other results clones).

Also, if you were expecting Delica to remain underground until next round, for me unless it's specified that a Pokemon waits to emerge, I assume it as same-turn damage.

Oddish17
15th December 2002, 06:40 PM
Good job Delica. Finish off Doodenki with Flamethrowers. Start off with a widespread one, to destroy the clones. Then hit it with however many more it takes to knock it out. With your sub up, you should be fine. If you KO it, you'll have some time to rest before the next round.

Flamethrower(widespread) ~ Flamethrower ~ Flamethrower/Rest(If Doodenki is knocked out)

Anti-R*cketship
15th December 2002, 10:19 PM
Okay, I'm going to ref so a Widespread deals half the normal damage due to the increased accuracy. STAB is applied after that.

Sadako: TBD, post your attacks so I can get on with this.

On with what?

Sadako: You'll see...

Oddish17
15th December 2002, 10:34 PM
By my count, Doodenki should have three clones. That's what the widespread Flamethrower is for, to make them vanish.

TheBlueDragon
16th December 2002, 09:25 AM
Doodenki, I think this battle is lost for you (sorry for being sincere... :P), but at least let's try to set things up for your buddy.

Start with a Thunderbolt for "sub-destruction", then finish it with a Zap-Cannon It may not hit, but that's the only chance we have. If you're still conscious after that, use Rain Dance.

Thunderbolt ~ Zap Cannon ~ Rain Dance

Anti-R*cketship
16th December 2002, 02:14 PM
Okay, Kenji, I know that the widespread Flamethrower is to get rid of clones, but if it's widespread, it'll probably hit your opponent anyways. Just explaining that.

Now, onto official Reffing duties...

ROUND SEVEN

Sadako: Everyone will suffer...

You're creeping me out.

pre-battle

Delica: 58% health, 7% Substitute, high-fatigue

Doodenki: 17% health, Substitute destroyed, medium fatigue.

Arena: Sadako is developing a mischevious glare in her eyes...

BATTLE ON

"Good job Delica," Kenji says already tasting victory. "Finish off Doodenki with Flamethrowers. Start off with a widespread one, to destroy the clones. Then hit it with however many more it takes to knock it out. With your sub up, you should be fine. If you KO it, you'll have some time to rest before the next round."

"Doodenki, I think this battle is lost for you," TBD says with a hint of sadness over his Pokemon's upcoming loss, "but at least let's try to set things up for your buddy.

Start with a Thunderbolt for "sub-destruction", then finish it with a Zap-Cannon It may not hit, but that's the only chance we have. If you're still conscious after that, use Rain Dance."

Both Pokemon nod to acknowledge the instructions.

(Sadako: It's time

Me: What now?)

Sadako flies up from her spot floating arond the arena and appears to enter the Jumbotron. The entire floor of the arena is covered with a thin layer of water, making for slippery traction. Sadako then re-emerges from the screen.

Sadako: What were you expecting?

Doodenki, who previously had the disadvantage, is now starting to show very strongly. Every time a Pokemon with direct contact with the ground attacks, that Pokemon has a 25% chance of slipping (causing 1% damage) and missing the attack. In addition, ground attacks are ineffective. This is permanent; Clear Skies will not remove it.

Doodenki fires off a Thunderbolt. The attack hits dead-on, but the Sub remains standing. This attack is answered with a wall of fire which irradicates the clones and damages Doodenki itself. Angry, Doodenki fires a Zap Canon at 'Delica,' and the Substitute is shattered. Remembering the last time it 'killed' its opponent, Doodenki doesn't make the mistake of mourning the loss of its fellow Pokemon, who it immediately sees with fire coming out of her mouth as it turns around. Doodenki is knocked out and Delica lies down for a Rest now that her opponent is defeated. TBD calls back Doodenki and perpares to choose his next Pokemon to battle the restfully sleeping Growlithe.

post-battle

Doodenki: KO
Delica: self-induced sleep, 100% health, medium fatigue.

Kenji, Sadako's little trick wasn't intended to give Doodenki an advantage, she will do that in any battle I start reffing in the first round. Besides, it didn't seem to matter. Also, if you meant for Delica to 'take a break' you should have said that instead of 'rest'.

Damage: Delica's sub - 7% - 6% (Thunderbolt with STAB) - 9% (Zap Canon with STAB) = Destroyed

Doodenki - 17% - 6% (Supereffective wide-range Flamethrower with STAB) - 11% (Supereffective Flamethrower with STAB) = KO

Oddish17
16th December 2002, 03:02 PM
Hmm, well I didn't really mean for Rest to be a turn at all, rather Delica would be able to rest while waiting for TBD to call his next pokemon. That's alright, though, I guess I should have made myself clearer.

Mister Mew
16th December 2002, 03:31 PM
Not to but in or anything, but isn't Rest supposed to regain health slowly (like 5 or 10% per turn) instead of completely restoring health when it's used. I've seen it done in increments in every other battle I've seen Rest used in. Plus it seems kind of unfair exspecially since there is a chance an attack will wake the sleep pokemon up allowing it to attack with other moves besides sleep talk and snore sooner. Or does it just depend on what the ref feels is right? Just thought I'd point this out.

Oh and Oddish, you have a ref job to do in my battle with TheBlueDragon :P :D :yes:

Oddish17
16th December 2002, 04:01 PM
Tsk tsk, don't complain. My power was out all morning, I had no way to ref your battle.

As for rest, it's up to the ref's discretion. Anti-R*cketship could make it so that there is no way for Delica to wake up any time soon, which would make it very difficult for her to battle.

TheBlueDragon
16th December 2002, 04:30 PM
Yeah... rest shoudn't recover 100% HP at once.... If it did that, I would also have used Rest...

Please correct the damage, and then i'll continue the battle

Anti-R*cketship
16th December 2002, 04:32 PM
Actually, Kenji, you just stumbled right onto my Rest reffing. There is no chance of Delica waking up in the first round after a Rest, and only a 25% chance in the second round. The third round there is a 50% chance, the fourth round she wakes up, no questions asked.

This gives you quite an opportunity TBD. The possibility of nine attacks without any resistance. Choose your next Pokemon well.

Oddish17
16th December 2002, 04:42 PM
TBD, had you used Rest, I could have FireBlasted your Magnemite into oblivion. Throw in a Dig for good measure, and Rest would have done you no good.

Anti-R*cketship
16th December 2002, 05:39 PM
If after all this you still feel I've done this reffing badly TBD, please take a look at the description of Rest in the ASB battle rules.

Rest: The user deliberately goes into a supernatural healing trance, purging away injuries and maladictions at an incredible, unnatural rate. This trance is very deep and virtually unbreakable, and the user is wholly defenseless so long as it lasts. The longer it lasts, however, the greater the healing it allows for. While trancing, the user cannot even attempt to evade attacks, so there is little or nothing preventing an opponent or opponents from simply leveling all artillery at the sleeper and minimizing the end benefit of the trance. Attacks that are normally too inaccurate to bother with become quite plausible. Excellent accuracy.

Just because something else is done as the standard doesn't mean that my reffing was wrong. Now please send out your next Pokemon so we can get on with this.

TheBlueDragon
16th December 2002, 07:58 PM
Alright... as the ref. wants... :rolleyes: (j/k)

So, i'll send out Kurokaze, my Male Murkrow, for my next pokémon.

Since, I think, it's our turn to attack, let's try to make the highest possible damage in the lowest possible time.

Kurokaze, first of all, start with a Drill Peck, then a point-blank Shadow Ball, and finish it with an Sky Attack.

Drill Peck ~ Shadow Ball ~ Sky Attack

Oddish17
16th December 2002, 10:08 PM
Umm, hmm. There's not much we can do, Delica.

Delica: zzZZzz...

I guess, use Sleep Talk x 3. Hopefully something good will come up.

Sleep Talk ~ Sleep Talk ~ Sleep Talk

Anti-R*cketship
16th December 2002, 10:44 PM
Normally, I would wait for Kenji to post his attacks, but since Delica's too deep in her trance to do anything, even Snore or Sleep Talk, I'm not bothering in this case. If there are complaints in this area, this round will be redone.

And, BTW, Damage Caps are 50% in any match I ref. Unless it's been deliberately removed by the Trainers. Which it hasn't.

Round 8

TBD reaches into his pocket and pulls out a Pokeball. He tosses it and says "Go, Kurokaze." A Male Murkrow pops out of the Pokeball.

Kurokaze: 100% health, fine

Delica: 100% health, in deep-sleep/trance, medium fatigue.

Arena: Floor is covered in thin layer of mysterious water, supposedly siphoned from some well ;). All Ground-type attacks are ineffective.

BATTLE ON

"Kurokaze," TBD shouts, "first of all, start with a Drill Peck, then a point-blank Shadow Ball, and finish it with an Sky Attack."

The Murkrow nods and acknowledges the instructions with a "Murk". He then starts on his grim course. First, he flies into his comatose opponent with his beak twirling for a Drill Peck. Then he fires a Shadow Ball into the hole he created in the sleeping Growlithe. Not finished with his horrifying rounds yet, he flies erratically through the air, then comes crashing down at top speed, greatly damaging his opponent.

post-battle

Kurokaze: 100%, medium fatigue.
Delica: 73% health, no fatigue, gash in side, 'tranced out'

Arena: thin layer of well water covers the gound, making the floor slippery

DAMAGE SUMMARY

Delica: 100% - 6% (Drill Peck with STAB) - 10% (Shadow Ball) - 11% (Sky Attack with STAB) = 73%

I just realized that due to Damage Caps, I have to redefine my Rest effects. The user can't get up at all for the first TWO rounds after usage. The rest of the rules remain the same.

Again, Kenji, if you see something wrong with not waiting for you to give orders that can't be obeyed anyhow, don't hesitate to tell me.

Err...Kenji seems to have posted attacks since I wrote this. No matter, as the rules state that a Resting Pokemon is COMPLETELY DEFENCELESS (ie. NO ATTACKS WHATSOEVER)

Oddish17
16th December 2002, 11:07 PM
Right. Defenseless, as in a sleeping pokemon can't do anything to dodge an attack. Sleep Talk and Snore should work just about every time(it has excellent accuracy). Since TheBlueDragon probably feels that your reffing about Rest was unfair, I'll let it go this round.

Next round, please ref Sleep Talk as actually working. That is the way it is supposed to work. The way you reffed, Sleep Talk and Snore are obsolete, and that is not the case in ASB.

TheBlueDragon
17th December 2002, 09:20 AM
aham.. that's what i was talking about. If you can use Snore and Sleep Talk, Rest shouldn't recover this much hp.

Kurokaze, Toxic Delica, then Shadow Ball and Drill Peck. That is, if Anti-R*cketship doesn't allow ST to be used. If he allows it (he should lower Delica's HP), then use, Double Team for the second slot.

Toxic ~ Shadow Ball (no ST)/Double Team (ST)~ Drill Peck

Oddish17
17th December 2002, 10:52 AM
Delica has been resting for four turns now. Her HP shouldn't be lowered by that much(if at all), as she's obviously recovered a lot of health by now.

Anti-R*cketship
17th December 2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Oddish17
Right. Defenseless, as in a sleeping pokemon can't do anything to dodge an attack. Sleep Talk and Snore should work just about every time(it has excellent accuracy).

Sorry, but there has to be some major disadvantage to the move, given the way I ref this. Otherwise it would be too far to the Rester's advantage.

Since TheBlueDragon probably feels that your reffing about Rest was unfair, I'll let it go this round.

Next round, please ref Sleep Talk as actually working. That is the way it is supposed to work. The way you reffed, Sleep Talk and Snore are obsolete, and that is not the case in ASB.

I read nothing in the official rules that even seemed to hint at implying this. That may work for other reffings of Rest, but I refuse to give moves to a Pokemon which has just recovered full health without fatigue (which is also dropping from Rest). If Delica were put to sleep, then you would have Sleep Talk and Snore available, but not under these circumstances. If you don't wake up at the beginning of the third round the moves are available. So, have a set of 'asleep' moves and a set of 'awake' moves ready for that round.

Good luck with that. Reffing not coming until fighting ends, so as not to accidentally do a biased job. If you can show me somewhere that it says this isn't a legal reffing, I'll re-do the round with your Sleep Talks, but not a second earlier.

TheBlueDragon
17th December 2002, 07:18 PM
*mental note: rebember to put a tag of "no Rest (please)" during my next battle* -_-'

Oddish17
17th December 2002, 09:00 PM
Fine then, ref it however you like. I never meant to have Delica fall asleep anyways, it was just something I threw on at the end.

If you really want to know the rules, here's one for you.
Once a pokemon is KOed, the round immediately ends, and all following moves are rendered useless, as the round has ended. There should have been no chance for Delica to use Rest, since Doodenki was knocked out. At least this is the way I've seen it reffed, whenever a pokemon is KOed, the round ends, no more moves.

Anti-R*cketship
17th December 2002, 10:10 PM
I saw it reffed otherwise at one point, but the moral is: watch what you say. And, Kenji, there is no possible way I'm reffing it as full recovery followed by recovery every round. That's just too much.

ROUND 9

Kurokaze: 100%, medium fatigue.
Delica: 73% health, no fatigue, gash in side, 'tranced out'

Arena: thin layer of well water covers the gound, making the floor slippery

BATTLE ON

While Kenji yells desparately for his Pokemon to "Just do something!", his opponent is much more confident in his Pokemon.

"Kurokaze," TBD said confidently, "Toxic Delica, then use Shadow Ball and Drill Peck." I notice that rather than unloading the major high-damage, low accuracy attacks on his helpless opponent, TBD is having his Pokemon use a lot of accurate normal damage attacks, but I'm just the ref, it's not my job to judge strategy. (Sadako: I'll judge. It stinks.)

Kurokaze says something to Sadako before getting on with his battle. He starts by spitting a glob of Toxic goo at his sleeping opponent. She kicks from her sleep, indicating that the attack has taken effect. He then fires a dark ball of Ghost-energy at Delica. Finally, he starts twirling his beak and drills into Delica's other side. (Sadako: Now she's symetrical.) Both of the holes in her start bleeding slightly, and she kicks again as the poison takes its first effect.

post-battle

Delica: 55% health, self-induced sleep, badly poisoned (4% next turn), bleeding slightly from both sides (1% damage per turn from now on), no fatigue.
Kurokaze: 100% health, high fatigue

Arena: still slippery thanks to Sadako's trickery.

Oddish17
17th December 2002, 11:56 PM
And, Kenji, there is no possible way I'm reffing it as full recovery followed by recovery every round. That's just too much.

That's not what I said at all. I was referring to what TBD said, as in he said Rest should have been reffed differently. I was implying that if it was reffed how he wanted, then Delica would have recovered a lot of health over four turns.

I'll let all of this go, since I had such a huge advantage the first round. Once Delica goes down, it will be an even fight once again. TBD should be happy.

If Delica wakes up this round, just let loose a bunch of Fire Blasts.

TheBlueDragon
18th December 2002, 04:38 AM
Sound silly to lose to a sleeping, deenseless Growlithe because of high fatigue. :P

Kurokaze, relax a little. Then a Dream Eater (this is tricky... if sleep talk ins't allowed during rest, is dream eater allowed?) and a ... oh well, another Sky Attack. Murkrows don't have many strong attacks, so I guess i'll keep with those until Delica wakes up... And of course, in case Dream Eater wouldn't work for then reasons specified above, use Double Team

Take a Break ~ Dream Eater/Double Team ~ Sky Attack

Anti-R*cketship
21st December 2002, 03:22 PM
Just so you know, Kenji, this round you can order Sleep Talks and Snores, as Delica's two-turn helplessness has been completed.

Oddish17
23rd December 2002, 06:29 PM
Alright then, if Delica is still asleep, use Sleep Talk. If she wakes up, use Fire Blast.

Sleep Talk/Fire Blast ~ Sleep Talk/Fire Blast ~ Sleep Talk/Fire Blast

TheBlueDragon
9th January 2003, 09:22 PM
*bump* where's the ref?
i'm just trying to lose faster -_-' i have no more hopes of winning here