PDA

View Full Version : Having a Crush on an Anime/Manga Character

Mikachu Yukitatsu
16th March 2009, 05:18 AM
First of all, I consider putting "somewhat mature" in the title, what do you think?

In this topic, we can tell stories about falling in love with anime/manga girls/boys and also discuss the subject. Have you ever had a crush on an anime/manga character? If yes, who and how did it happen? Also, have you heard any related stories? What about your own opinion on the subject? Is it sick or a nice alternative?

The first anime I seriously watched was Pokemon. So Misty was the first anime girl I noticed and I used to like her very much. Those days just seeing a girl in kimono made me fall in love.

Next was Sailor Mercury/Mizuno Ami from Sailor Moon. I associated her with a girl who was in the same school as I. Both of them studied hard and were going to be doctors one day.

Nowadays I have got a bit like rid of having crushes on anime/manga characters. I don't care too much about Misty and May both being gone from Pokemon though Dawn does look better than them. I haven't seen my high school crush for years, so also my love to Mercury is kinda gone. I don't regard the girls form Yu-Gi-Oh!, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Digimon, DragonballZ and Naruto so special. Not even Misa from Death Note.

However, I see no problem with falling in love with an anime character. Anime girls don't say no to you. One friend even proposed people should watch more hardcore anime so that they wouldn't commit sexual crimes in real life. Plus, when you're young, popstars, actors and other celebrities replace the real life crushes anyway so why not anime characters?

Weasel Overlord
16th March 2009, 06:10 AM
Well, I don't like calling it "falling in love," cos love is physical, etc. Impossible to have with a drawn character. Note: this isn't flaming or anything, just saying my opinion.

I totally agree with the liking characters though, as in fancying them. I mean, there's so many pretty bishies around in anime, what's a girl to do!? Some of my favourites include Shigure from Fruits Basket, Spike Spiegel from Cowboy Bebop and Jin from Samurai Champloo. Oh, and Gin-san from Gintama, lawl. And Night from Absolute Boyfriend, although he's manga. OH and the lovely Tamaki from Ouran Host Club, and Mori...

But mostly I like game characters. Like Balthier and Dante and Auron and Jecht and Kain...

Dark-San
16th March 2009, 06:15 AM
This topic reminds me of a news when a bunch of really hardcore Japanese otakus petition to their government of legalizing a legislation that allows a real person to exclusively and legally 'marry' their 2D counterpart. 0.o;

There are also extreme actions that are done due to jealously. When a manga artist decided to include in a lover for Nagi (a really popular female tsundere from the series 'Kannagi') during one of his manga chapters, the fans protested heavily and sorted to even buying the manga in bulks and burning them. The production house ceased the publications after this incident. 0.o;

Now why do both actions occured? If you have to ponder deeply, the reason is just as mentioned by Mikachu. The extreme forbidden romance between a paper character and a real person. I do not have the rights to comment on their preference but there are just somethings I do not see eye to eye.

Their love here is a bit misplaced. Love have to be two- ways with both parties accepting each other's flaws and good sides. Having an idea that 'loving a 2D character might seem ideal because the 'other party' doesn't complain about your flaws' is wrong. Because in reality, the 2D character are unable to respond to your flaws as they are just non- living objects. Relationship is there so as for both parties to openly communicate with each other and that doesn't happen between a 2D girl and a person.

I have no problem if you say that you want your ideal girlfriend to be model after your favourite character's personality. However we just have to keep a fine line between what is right and what is wrong.

I too once got too involved into that kind of idea. But then as life goes on, you matured. It is only a matter of time when one snaps out of that fantasy and accepts reality. But then again, there are others that just want to continue living in them.

Weasel Overlord
16th March 2009, 06:17 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that story about the guy wanting to marry that character. He was... weird. Yeah, weird.

Crazy Elf Boy
16th March 2009, 08:07 AM
I don't have many characters that I "like" but the ones I do are, Nodoka from Negima, Nel from Bleach and Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Go ahead laugh for my attraction to Purple headed girls who like books.

Mew Master
16th March 2009, 01:02 PM
I had a slight crush on Fuu from Magic Knight Rayearth. ... I had a thing for nerdy girls in glasses okay?