PDA

View Full Version : SciFi channel to become "Syfy"

Jeff
16th March 2009, 10:07 PM
I wish I was making this up (http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php)

Yes, the channel that brought us such timeless classics as Mega Snake, Mansquito, Ice Spiders, Rock Monster, etc... Well, at least they have decent shows like Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, The Dresden Files, Battlestar Galactica...

Anyway the channel is changing its name to "Syfy" because, get this, "SciFi" sounds too geeky. That's like Fox News changing its name to something less "newsy".

Roy Karrde
16th March 2009, 10:12 PM
They do have Caprica, the "Smallville" version of Battlestar Galactica, which will be airing this fall. OH! And StarGate Universe which...well it features a Young Hip team....

I really don't see the series lasting that long, especially since what made BSG so great disappeared around New Caprica, and we entered Fillers, Mystical, and Starbuck/Apolo crap instead of it being about the Chase, and Survival.

As for Stargate Universe, the series seriously lost it's way around the final episode of Season 8 of SG1 (Stupid Time Travel/Alternate Reality) crap. And it never returned to what it used to be.

classy_cat18
16th March 2009, 10:26 PM
Too geeky? Most of this time they're showing X-Files, Twilight Zone, Stargate reruns or their crappy original movies (that aren't that original most of the time). They're geeky and no name change is going to change that!

Asilynne
16th March 2009, 10:42 PM
Syfy sounds fairy-ish -.-() good job Scifi thanks for screwing something else up lol

Heald
16th March 2009, 10:49 PM
Syfy sounds like a European kitchen bleach, you know, if you pronounced it Siff-ee.

So basically, this will probably alienate half their audience: most sci-fi fans would skip past it, thinking 'What the hell is a Syfy?' and most normal people would do so too.

DarkestLight
16th March 2009, 11:52 PM
Lame! SciFi was the best when it came to brain dead movies that were more hilarious than scary. Come on, Syfy?

Mew Master
17th March 2009, 12:11 AM
Syfy. Sounds like either a computer processor or a Game Character.

PNT510
17th March 2009, 01:15 AM
How does Syfy sound like a game character? It's still pronounced Sci Fi. Personally it's better than the rebranding they were going to give the channel 2 years ago. It was suppose to become SURGE.

Weasel Overlord
17th March 2009, 07:22 AM
It doesn't really make sense to me, but then again, sci-fi was my first love, so hey. Maybe I'm just bitter. It's like what happened with laser - it got changed into "lazer", despite the fact it's an acronym. Durr people, sci-fi stands for science-fiction, it doesn't make sense to change it into a different word entirely. Plus the ys throw me off on pronunciation.

Stupid channels! Not like we've ever had any sci-fi channels anyway, alas. But then, we always used to get Star Trek on normal channels, so I wasn't that bothered.

Drago
17th March 2009, 07:30 AM
My main gripe is that the 'y's look awkward to me. If you're going to shorten it or disassociate it with the term 'sci-fi' or whatever they're trying to do, they should've simply dropped the c and called it Sifi - that looks a lot slicker than Syfy. Wow, even typing that feels horrible. Yuck.

Doesn't mean much to me of course, but I can appreciate it'd leave a foul taste in the mouths of fans. Like how it was for me when WWF became WWE. For all intents and purposes, the same. But despite that, different in a bad way.

Asilynne
17th March 2009, 01:04 PM
I refuse to call it WWE, even when other people do Im just like "WWF"...they were sharing those initials forever anyway they just decided to be bitches one day >.> and Yes I agree, Sifi looks way better.

DarkTemplarZero
17th March 2009, 01:58 PM
Don't you just love it when businesses decide to alienate their entire target audience? A name change won't make less nerdy people watch their shows/movies. Can you imagine any of those uneducated peasants enjoying Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: Voyager, or SciFi's incredible wealth of crappy low-budget shark movies? However, acting like their target audience is uncool is rather stupid.

RedStarWarrior
17th March 2009, 02:53 PM
I will call it Siffy if it does that...

kainashi
17th March 2009, 06:37 PM
only decent stuff is the twilight zone marathons anyways. :hellyeah:

DarkestLight
18th March 2009, 05:47 PM
only decent stuff is A.I. Assault, Abominable, Absolon, Alien Apocalypse ,Alien Express, Alien Hunter, Alien Lockdown ,Alien Siege, Anaconda 3: Offspring, Anacondas: Trail of Blood, Android Apocalypse, Anonymous Rex, Antibody, Attack of the Sabretooth, Aztec Rex, Baal: The Storm God, Basilisk: The Serpent King, Bats: Human Harvest, Battle Planet, Beyond Loch Ness, Beyond Re-Animator, Black Hole, Bloodsuckers, Boa vs. Python, Bone Eater, The Bone Snatcher, Bugs, Caved In: Prehistoric Terror, Cerberus, Chupacabra: Dark Seas, Clive Barker Presents: Saint Sinner, Control Factor, Copperhead, Crimson Force, Cube 2: Hypercube, Cyclops , Darklight, Dead and Deader, Deadly Swarm, Deathlands: Homeward Bound, Decoys, Deep Shock, Disaster Zone: Volcano in New York, Do or Die, Dog Soldiers, Dragon Dynasty, Dragon Fighter, Dragon Storm, Dragon Sword, Dungeons & Dragons 2: Wrath of the Dragon God, Earthstorm, Encrypt, Epoch, Epoch: Evolution, The Fallen Ones, Fire & Ice, Fire Serpent, Frankenfish, Flu Bird Horror ,Gargoyles: Wings of Darkness, Ghost Voyage, Ghouls, Grendel, Gryphon, Hammerhead: Shark Frenzy, Harpies, Haunted Prison aka Death Row, Headless Horseman, Heatstroke, Highlander: The Source, House of the Dead 2, Ice Spiders, The Immortal Voyage of Captain Drake, IF2: Interceptor Force 2, KAW, Kraken: Tentacles of the Deep, Larva, Lightspeed, Living Hell, Locusts: The 8th Plague, The Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon, Lost Voyage, Lost City Raiders, Magma: Volcanic Disaster, Mammoth, Man with the Screaming Brain, Man-Thing, Mansquito, Manticore, Mega Snake, Mindstorm, Minotaur, Momentum, Monster Ark, NYC: Tornado Terror, Ogre ,Out for Blood, Painkiller Jane, Path of Destruction, Phantom Force, Post Impact, Project Viper ,Pterodactyl, Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes, Pumpkinhead: Blood Feud, Pythons 2, Raptor Island, Raptor World, Reign of the Gargoyles, Return of the Living Dead 4: Necropolis, Return of the Living Dead 5: Rave from the Grave, Riddles of the Sphinx, Riverworld, Rock Monster, Sabretooth, Sands of Oblivion, Sasquatch Mountain, Savage Planet, Sea Beast, Shark in Venice, Showdown at Area 51, Silent Warnings, Slayer, Slipstream, The Snake King, Snakehead Terror ,Something Beneath, Soulkeeper, Species III, Species: The Awakening, S.S. Doomtrooper, Stir of Echoes 2: The Homecoming, Supergator, Swamp Devil, They Are Among Us, Threshold, Vipers, Warbirds, Webs, Wraiths of Roanoke ,Wyvern, Yeti: Curse of The Snow Demon AND the twilight zone marathons anyways. :hellyeah:

That's better...

Blademaster
18th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Someone else remembers Disaster Zone: Volcano in New York?!?! :O

Darkly, you are now officially the most awesome guy in this topic. SCIENTIFIC INACCURACY, FUCK YEAH!!! :hellyeah:

EDIT: AND ICE SPIDERS?!?!?!? HOLY GOD!!!!! (faints)

RedStarWarrior
18th March 2009, 09:45 PM
Someone else remembers Disaster Zone: Volcano in New York?!?! :O

Darkly, you are now officially the most awesome guy in this topic. SCIENTIFIC INACCURACY, FUCK YEAH!!! :hellyeah:

EDIT: AND ICE SPIDERS?!?!?!? HOLY GOD!!!!! (faints)
I just love that they don't mind giving money to anybody who has half an idea. It is great because the movies are hilarious at times.

Blademaster
18th March 2009, 10:17 PM
It's PS2-level CGI-rendered giant spiders! Attacking a ski resort! What's not to love?

Asilynne
19th March 2009, 09:51 AM
Rock Monster was SO much fun to make fun of XD
I kept thinking of the rock lobster song :>

DarkestLight
19th March 2009, 04:52 PM
Ice Spiders was Riiiidiculous! They were fluorescent retarded ass Spiders!

I also forgot Raptor Planet. Which is N64 CGI graphics, which they evidently didn't make alot of cause they use the same scenes with the Virtual Cop laser hit marks on half baked ass Raptors XD. And the RANDOM ASS T-REX-that had NOTHING to do with the story! AT. ALL!

Scifi movies are my weekend pastime now and forever. I have SO many scripts they could use..

RedStarWarrior
19th March 2009, 08:48 PM
Ice Spiders was Riiiidiculous! They were fluorescent retarded ass Spiders!

I also forgot Raptor Planet. Which is N64 CGI graphics, which they evidently didn't make alot of cause they use the same scenes with the Virtual Cop laser hit marks on half baked ass Raptors XD. And the RANDOM ASS T-REX-that had NOTHING to do with the story! AT. ALL!

Scifi movies are my weekend pastime now and forever. I have SO many scripts they could use..
You could probably get them made.

Magmar
19th March 2009, 08:49 PM
SyFy................. just wow, it makes no sense as an abbreviated form!

Zak
19th March 2009, 09:07 PM
That's better...

Automatic failure for mentioning Hypercube and not the other two. That movie was goddamn AWFUL compared to Cube/CubeZero, and doesn't even deserve to be one of them. If you haven't seen the other two I can understand, but I'd like to hear your case for including it and let alone ONLY that one.

DarkTemplarZero
19th March 2009, 09:57 PM
That's better...

Fool, you missed Shark Attack III: Megalodon . Fucking funniest shark movie of all time. If you thought the worst pickup line of all time was "Did you fall from heaven? Because that must've been how you screwed up your face", wait till you see this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1XOfHax6Q8

"But you know I'm really wired. What do you say I... take you home and eat your pussy." fail.

DarkestLight
19th March 2009, 09:57 PM
Automatic failure for mentioning Hypercube and not the other two. That movie was goddamn AWFUL compared to Cube/CubeZero, and doesn't even deserve to be one of them. If you haven't seen the other two I can understand, but I'd like to hear your case for including it and let alone ONLY that one.

....That's the point.

Focusing on the WORST of movies Sci Fi has made, they made alot more than what I listed. It's the worst ones that are the funniest.

DTZ: XD!! I can never forget that one. I only listed the ones off the top of my head that I remembered

Weasel Overlord
20th March 2009, 05:17 AM
"But you know I'm really wired. What do you say I... take you home and eat your pussy." fail.

Hahah that actually wasn't meant to be in the film! It wasn't in the script - John Barrowman improvised to try and make the woman laugh cos she was nervous, and then they included it in the final cut, lol. What a load of tards. XD

Sorry, I have no idea about most of those films - but then again, we never had any channels when I was growing up, so all I watched was stuff like, oh, Quantum Leap (ROCK ON), Sliders, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Star Trek (original), Next Gen and Voyager, and oh hahah Xena and Hercules! Oh hell yeah. Did you Americans get all those programs?

Blademaster
20th March 2009, 08:32 AM
Just took another look at the list.

Magma: Volcanic Disaster... Dear God almighty you have the best worst taste Darkly. Wasn't that the one where people 'burned' in lava by yelling, vanishing from the frame before the lava touched them, and the only indication they'd ever been there was a little William Street CGI flame? XDXDXDXDXDXDXD

Jeff
20th March 2009, 09:49 AM
Kaw, wasn't that the one with the Amish and the killer birds? Seriously, who writes this stuff? Looks like I'm not the only one who thought of Rock Lobster during the Rock Monster previews. Rock MONSTER... Rock MONSTER?... Rock MONSTER! Said it everytime the commercial came on.:P

Oh and DL, looks like you'll have another one to add to that list come Sunday. Spring Break Shark Attack looks like it's going to be another gem.

Asilynne
20th March 2009, 11:08 AM
Quantum Leap (ROCK ON), Sliders, Star Trek (original), Next Gen and Voyager, and oh hahah Xena and Hercules! Oh hell yeah. Did you Americans get all those programs?

You have awesome taste Weas :D

Mew Master
20th March 2009, 12:24 PM
I miss Xena and Herculies.

Roy Karrde
20th March 2009, 10:30 PM
Okay since this is a Sci Fi Channel thread. Who watched the Battlestar Galactica ending? Fucking Amazing!

classy_cat18
20th March 2009, 11:52 PM
I miss Tales from the Crypt. Did anyone else watch that show?

RedStarWarrior
21st March 2009, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I have no idea about most of those films - but then again, we never had any channels when I was growing up, so all I watched was stuff like, oh, Quantum Leap (ROCK ON), Sliders, Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased), Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, Star Trek (original), Next Gen and Voyager, and oh hahah Xena and Hercules! Oh hell yeah. Did you Americans get all those programs?
Yes. We also get Doctor Who.

Sliders and Quantum Leap kicked much ass!

Jeff
21st March 2009, 10:27 PM
Okay since this is a Sci Fi Channel thread. Who watched the Battlestar Galactica ending? Fucking Amazing!

Three words: Oh... My... Gods

At least SciFi can do shows right.

DarkestLight
22nd March 2009, 06:54 AM
From the top..

Weas: I watched Sliders originally when it came on Fox, and stayed a fan all until they made it home..AND LEFT because they thought it wasn't HOME cause of the stupid ass GATE ><!!!! I was utterly done then.

But then I gave it two more seasons and then I got sad cause it lost most of its flair.

Oh yes and we got (I believe) all those shows, I used to be a huge Hercules Fan, Xena..not so much cause that stupid ass scream turned me off. But the Xena /Hercules crossovers and that one Xena episode where she was stuck in the same day until she got the task right (which became a gigantic pinball charkam episode...) were TOP. NOTCH!

Blade: YES! THE SCREEN goes black and that stupid flame came up and then it was next scene in podunk town! O man, my taste is disgustingly horrible when it comes to SciFi. But I love how they get semi famous people in these movies. I was laughing so hard when I saw Mark Dacascos last night in this one Zombie flick, lol! I kept going "IRON CHEFS! HUMAN BRAINS-SECRET INGREDIENT!"

Jeff: Oh yes, Ima get Platinum right now, and come back so I can play and watch that. That sounds amazingly bad.

DarkestLight
28th March 2009, 03:48 PM
New Post only because POLAR STORM!!! the best SciFi Movie to date, is coming on tonight!

Jeff: Spring Break Shark attack was hilarious!! HALF THE MOVIE was about DATE RAPE. I felt like I was watching a Lifetime premiere movie. Then suddenly in the span of 20 minutes, there were sharks peeing in peoples faces, sharks in peoples waters, sharks stealing candy from babies! I was like "What!!?!?!" It was utterly ridiculous

Houndoom_Lover
28th March 2009, 06:04 PM
That's stupid, it'll always be the sci-fi channel to me....It's where I hang out ^w^

I miss my weekly dose of Doctor Who. And Estate of Panic, and that other one. Those were pleasant to watch. What else do I enjoy? All 'em.

Jeff
7th July 2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, old thread is old, but I have a very good reason to bump it.

The name is now official. Despite outrage across the Internet, they actually went through with it.

They even changed the voiceover guy. What was wrong with the old one? The Eureka commercials sound all wrong now.

Edit: On a somewhat related note, has anyone heard the rumors about Cartoon Network changing its name so it can further promote its God-awful reality shows? Seriously, we're losing niche channels faster than we're losing celebrities.

Zak
7th July 2009, 10:30 PM
Hah yeah, I was gonna bump this too.

Also for the last few weeks I've been seeing them advertising that it'll become "SyFy" on July 7... yeah, I'm so excited!!

classy_cat18
7th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Edit: On a somewhat related note, has anyone heard the rumors about Cartoon Network changing its name so it can further promote its God-awful reality shows? Seriously, we're losing niche channels faster than we're losing celebrities.

For crying out loud, we already have Nickelodeon and Disney Channel! What's going to happen once those reality shows go down the drain? I mean, we lost all that Toonami material for that!

Telume
8th July 2009, 02:02 AM
What the hell kind of name is Syfy, It's still sounds like SciFi.... Honestly to me it sounds like a brand name of camera

"HEY MA GET OUT THE SYFY COUSIN BERNIE'S HERE"

Just my 2 cents. And I friggin hope they don't ditch Ani-Mondays, then again maybe I just jinxed it.

Thorne_Darkrose
8th July 2009, 07:20 AM
SciFi has reached a new low, I just hope they don't give Dean Cain another damn movie -_-

classy_cat18
8th July 2009, 10:42 AM
Just my 2 cents. And I friggin hope they don't ditch Ani-Mondays, then again maybe I just jinxed it.

Well, they won't right now. They've just started showing the second season of Gundam 00.

Houndoom_Lover
8th July 2009, 03:59 PM
And it continues to suck that idea. Hadn't we have this topic before? I remember complaining about it.

I love the Scifi channel, and it'll always be Scifi, no matter how they spell it ^_^

DarkestLight
8th July 2009, 06:18 PM
That pissed me off, seeing "Syfy".There's no "imagine greater" when you phonetically spell the same damn word ><!!!

Can't WAIT for Sand Serpents on Saturday though *_*

Telume
9th July 2009, 01:48 AM
For crying out loud, we already have Nickelodeon and Disney Channel! What's going to happen once those reality shows go down the drain? I mean, we lost all that Toonami material for that!

That pissed me off more than the fact Toonami disappeared.

It's like: What are you FOX? Last I checked they were CARTOON Network not, Reality Shows that SUCK Network.

Seriously though, Toonami over the years kicked ass they had Zoids, Outlaw Star, Tenchi Muyo, some of the Gundam Series, DragonBall (the original kicks Z's ass.) So many good shows.

And Nickelodeon ALSO kicked ass during the Kenan and Kel era.

"WHO LOVES ORANGE SODA?"
"OH IDOIDOIDOIDOOOOO~OOOO~"

Ahh, purely classic. Oh and lets not forget All That, that show was like SNL for kids.
"Welcome to Good Burger home of the Good Burger can I take your order?"

I know one thing, Kenan and Kel had a chemistry on-set that I don't think anybody else matched. I don't care what the reviewers said about the Good Burger movie, those two were a comedy pair! Everytime they were on set together you always got a laugh.

Houndoom_Lover
9th July 2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah. Crappy cartoon network anymore with their reality tv shows >w> They have a new one called Slamdunk.

Apparently, only teenage boys watch CN anymore. Outsiders is horrible. Who thought it was a good idea to let kids decide what's haunted or not? They'll prolly get spirits attach to them and their adult will be screwed *sadface*

It's like: What are you FOX? Last I checked they were CARTOON Network not, Reality Shows that SUCK Network.

I'm siggin' this.

Telume
9th July 2009, 03:44 PM
I'm siggin' this.

WOOHOO I'M QUOTED XD

Make sure you note it was me that said it.

PancaKe
9th July 2009, 07:44 PM
And Nickelodeon ALSO kicked ass during the Kenan and Kel era.

Kenan and Kel make me lolz They were the best.

However, seeing as I don't have cable TV, and only just got a digital set top box this year, I guess I am missing out on all this Nickelodeon, Cartoon NEtwork goodness... ^___^

Houndoom_Lover
9th July 2009, 09:26 PM
Don't worry, I will XD Where should I use it? TPM is full...Maybe dA...Haaaa

Master Rudy
14th July 2009, 11:34 AM
Heh.......the world is going to hell. Sci Fi gets a horrible name change, Cartoon Network seems to have forgot the fact that it's the CARTOON Network and my life is turning to shit for various reasons. I know what this calls for......

http://www.uoregon.edu/~bleeson/pic/facepalm.jpg

Yep......that about sums it all up nicely.

Telume
14th July 2009, 01:34 PM
Heh.......the world is going to hell. Sci Fi gets a horrible name change, Cartoon Network seems to have forgot the fact that it's the CARTOON Network and my life is turning to shit for various reasons. I know what this calls for......

http://www.uoregon.edu/~bleeson/pic/facepalm.jpg

Yep......that about sums it all up nicely.

^ I LOL'd